[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't Nagano tried becoming a director? Not like Gothicmade,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: bang-doll.jpg (422 KB, 1150x823) Image search: [Google]
bang-doll.jpg
422 KB, 1150x823
Why hasn't Nagano tried becoming a director? Not like Gothicmade, where he made everything himself, but as like a legit director working at an animation studio like Sunrise. Most of his peers like Kobayashi and Izubuchi have already. You would think that someone with his experience and ties to Tomino would want to be a director.
>>
Nagano is a know perfectionist with an arrogance streak without peer.

No one would want to work under his directorship.
>>
>>14445264
There are plenty of perfectionist and arrogant directors in the anime industry though. Even the top 3- Kon, Oshii, and Miyazaki, can be described as such. Even Tomino's other protege, Imagawa has been known to be a perfectionist and massive asshole. And some are just assholes like Fukuda. But they still get work.

Matter of fact, I can't think of any decent directors who aren't perfectionists. Which is why I'm even more surprised Nagano didn't try being one.
>>
File: yamakan.jpg (21 KB, 374x454) Image search: [Google]
yamakan.jpg
21 KB, 374x454
>>14445288
>Matter of fact, I can't think of any decent directors who aren't perfectionists.

Actually, I just now remembered Itano. Also a perfectionist and huge asshole, but has no good taste in his works.

And let's not forget the newest perfectionist asshole who tried to "save anime".
>>
>>14445243
Because he's not a sellout
>>
Nagano hates the anime industry, more news at 11.
>>
Considering his horrible experiences working at Sunrise and his early fame with FSS, I see no reason why he would become a director. Doing so would just make him miserable.
>>
>>14445422
>>14445348
Most people in the 80s, especially directors and designers, had horrible experiences. But that didn't stop them, so why would it stop Nagano?

Granted, FSS becoming popular may have been a part of it, but you get other mangaka like Otomo and Tezuka who still make films regardless of their successful manga career.
>>
>>14445453
Nagano wasn't a long-time mangaka like Otomo or Tezuka, and even then their animation careers were far from successful.

Simply put, unless your name is Hayao Miyazaki and you have a whole crew of slaves to do everything you ask them to, directors will never have the same amount of freedom as mangaka do. And even Nagano has more freedom than most mangaka.
>>
>>14445652
Successful or not, it doesn't change the fact that they tried.
>>
>>14446034
They had different circumstances, and their methods of doing things is not very much like Nagano's. Otomo and Tezuka both wanted their names to be widespread in the field of animation. Tezuka for obvious reasons (being the "God of Manga" and whatnot), and Otomo with movies like Steamboy, which was produced by a western company (Warner Brothers) with a soundtrack made by a western composer (Jablonski).

Nagano is the complete opposite in that he doesn't give a flying fuck who watches or looks at his work, as long as himself is satisfied with it. Which is why Gothicmade still isn't out yet on BD. Frankly, I think Nagano is brilliant but I hate his business methods, because it's probably the biggest thing holding him back. And the worst part is that he is perfectly happy with it.
>>
>>14446292
Also, it should be noted that Nagano never had assistants work on his manga like Otomo and Tezuka did.
>>
>>14445288
>I can't think of any decent directors who aren't perfectionists.
Tomino, he leaves a lot of room to animators and storyboarders.
>>
>>14445243
>Why hasn't Nagano tried becoming a director?
Maybe you should ask him.
>>
>>14445243
>Why hasn't Nagano tried becoming a director? Not like Gothicmade, where he made everything himself but as like a legit director

Because Nagano wants things to be like Gothicmade, he'd want to do everything himself.
>>
What about 5SS after Gothicmade? Did the chronology changed? Is it an alternative universe (lol)? Tell me WHAT HAPPENED 4chan/m/!!11!
>>
>>14445303
>And let's not forget the newest perfectionist asshole who tried to "save anime".

Didn't he get fired because he was too much of an asshole?
>>
>>14446655
Tomino does have fairly high standards though, as that Araki interview showed. Plot aside, G-Reco looks as good as it does because of his demands.
>>
>>14445243
If Nagano was an anime director, the anime would pause every five seconds to explain something about the background of the show that doesn't have anything to do with the current episode.
>>
>>14445288
>And some are just assholes like Fukuda. But they still get work.
Wasn't Fukuda put on suspension by Sunrise for being a petty asshole?

I seem to recall it is the reason why he has had virtually no work in the gap between S-Destiny's Special Edition way back in 2006 until Cross Ange in 2014, nearly a 8 year gap.
>>
File: tomino.jpg (46 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tomino.jpg
46 KB, 800x600
>>14448624
That doesn't sound like Nagano at all.

It does sound like someone else though.
>>
>>14448114
It was because his directing on the first 4 episodes of Lucky Star were that subpar. Some anons on /a/ also insist that he was sexually harassing another staff member being the main reason he got that boot, but it's probably just a meme.
>>
File: iso.jpg (29 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
iso.jpg
29 KB, 225x350
>>14445288
>forgetting motherfucking Mitsuo Iso

The guy had to use pen names after directing Dennou Coil because everyone who worked with him on it hated his guts so much for being so demanding.
>>
>>14448189
>Tomino does have fairly high standards though, as that Araki interview showed.

For a second I thought you meant Hirohiki Araki, since that guy is kinda known as a perfectionist too. He also talks funny so he's hard to understand.
>>
>>14448879
>Araki
>perfectionist
>can't draw a fucking dog to save his life
>manipulates human anatomy as he sees fit
>forgets about characters and plot lines
>can't even explain how King Crimson works because he doesn't fucking know
>perfectionist
>>
>>14445288
While not exactly arrogant or a prick, Takamatsu's time on the Braves Series showed that he was hard to work with, for Takara. Some of the shows he did in that had him lash out against the execs in either overt (Might Gaine's ending) or subtle (the cheeky messages in Goldran) ways.
>>
>>14445303
Yamakan isn't an asshole, he's just misunderstood! Kyoani are the true assholes here to kick out his genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_indP8fT494
>>
File: 1467504120110.png (826 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1467504120110.png
826 KB, 1366x768
>>14445243
/m/ is the only place that unconditionally praises a faggot like Nagano and likes trash like FSS. Hell you would defend the shit animation in Gothicmade as well.
>>
>>14449314
I remember when Nagano shitposting actually had effort behind it.
>>
>>14449532
You Naganofags are stuck in your own little world
>>
File: 4u.png (32 KB, 630x226) Image search: [Google]
4u.png
32 KB, 630x226
>>14449551
>>
File: FUJIMI.jpg (426 KB, 640x900) Image search: [Google]
FUJIMI.jpg
426 KB, 640x900
>>14449218
Araki is more of an eccentric than he is a perfectionist. Being an immortal vampire does that to you.
>>
>>14449218
>>can't draw a fucking dog to save his life
He does draw good dead dogs though
>>manipulates human anatomy as he sees fit
That's the sign of a high test alpha mangaka, fuck anatomy
>>forgets about characters and plot lines
Who needs those?
>>can't even explain how King Crimson works because he doesn't fucking know
Who even knows how King Crimson works?

But yeah, he's not a perfectionist at all, Rohan's character is pretty much his way to tell why he isn't a perfectionist, because you end up being a petty, lunatic asshole, even by reading his notes it's pretty clear he's just one of those people who go with the flow.
>>
>>14448695
Stick to A/Z
>>
What does Nagano do for income outside of manga?
>>
>>14448703
>his directing on the first 4 episodes of Lucky Star were that subpar

Judging from Fractale and WUG, it was most likely that.
>>
>>14454751
It sold like 10 million copies, what else does he need for income?
>>
>>14447019
You do know Nagano paid out of his own pocket to make Gothicmade, right?
>>
>>14455165
Which is why there are so few people who worked on it.
>>
>>14445303
>Actually, I just now remembered Itano. Also a perfectionist and huge asshole, but has no good taste in his works.

I'm disappointed in Itano. Man used to be a god of animation but quit just so he can direct really bad gory movies and make terrible CGI.

Still not as bad as what happened to >>14448742
>>
>>14454778

Huh, I always assumed FSS was one of those series that had immense cult and critical acclaim but not much commercial success. Nice to hear otherwise.
>>
>>14445243
Perfectionist
>>
>>14461004
This
>>
>>14445264
>An arrogant boss is bad
>Even if he's a great pro
You seem to have zero experience in career. People would kill to work under top tier men, nobody cares if they're asses.
>>
>>14455170
That was my point. He didn't do it out of ego, but out of lack of cash. That's how most decisions are made in the anime industry.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.