[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Mecha anime with a serious, non-political storyline exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Code-geass_00386417[1].jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Code-geass_00386417[1].jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Does Mecha anime with a serious, non-political storyline exist? I know I'm a bloody beginner when it comes to mecha anime, but so far the only series' I've come to enjoy was batshit insane stuff like Tengen Toppa or G Gundam.

Now I want to try something a little serious, doesn't matter if it's Super Robot or Real Robot, as long as it isn't overly political like most Gundam stuff. Any recommendations?
>>
>>14437605
VOTOMS.
>>
>>14437605
VOTOMS
though it gets a little crazy towards the end; but still serious
>>
Infinite Ryvius
>>
>>14437625
I've already seen that years ago.

>VOTOMS
Should I start with the TV series or one of the OVAs?
>>
>>14437605
Tekkaman Blade.
It's more power armour than mecha, but it's wonderfully serious and edgy.
>>
>>14437605

I'd say The Big O, Escaflowne, Giant Gorg, the Giant Robo OVA and the Patlabor OVAs are all fairly serious and straight action stories that rely on little to no politics. There is some humor in them and the Giant Robo OVA is very over the top in it's action, but remains serious.
>>
Getter robo armageddon
>>
>>14437627
TV series. Production order nigga.
>>
>>14437627
TV series
>>
Evangelion.
>>
I can't think of any mecha show that's political other than Gundam, Code Geass, and maybe Layzner and Dougram, I guess?
>>
>>14437658
Patlabor, Neo Ranga sort-of
>>
>>14437658

FLAG.
>>
>>14437658

I was assuming any show that primarily dealt with a conflict between warring nations or states of any kind counted for that. Escaflowne does have warring nations too, but it's background to Hitomi's story so I put that in regardless. Such an exception probably should allow other shows in to though really.
>>
File: 1446510584146.jpg (379 KB, 861x483) Image search: [Google]
1446510584146.jpg
379 KB, 861x483
Everyone in this picture.
>>
File: Legend-Blue-Wolves.jpg (33 KB, 300x423) Image search: [Google]
Legend-Blue-Wolves.jpg
33 KB, 300x423
>>
>>14437730
The real joke about that is that it's actually quite decent.

TOO BAD IT WAS A ONE-OF.
>>
>>14437688
So you want real-robo but with no real factions at war?
>>
>>14437735
Is it really worth watching? I mean, the mech design is quite cool.
>>
>>14437751
If you aren't turned off by the fact it's gay romance, I thought it handled itself quite well.

It's a bit basic in structure as I recall, but the simplicity of its narrative acts in its favor.

I wouldn't exactly suggest watching it for the mecha first and foremost though.
>>
>>14437751
It's decent enough, but it's gay. Like, actually gay.
>>
>>14437742

I think you're mistaking me with the OP. I was only making suggestions, not asking a question. And yes, I think you can have a serious story without factions at war. One of which would be The Big O in my opinion.
>>
>>14437688
Almost every show just focuses on the action and the events of the war and shoves all the surrounding dispute between the states into the background. Even Macross does this, especially in entries after SDF. And even in SDF, the war starts by accident and is resolved by fun.

Sometimes it's to a detriment. L-Gaim, for example, focuses so much on the war that it fails to show what reason the rebels have for rebelling against the empire. We're told they're oppressive, but I sure as hell don't know in what way
>>
>>14437798
>One of which would be The Big O in my opinion.

Big O is super robo.
>>
>>14437811

The OP didn't specify real robot, only a serious story. Which it is.
>>
>>14437605
Vifam, Mospeada, Bryger, Tetsujin 28-gou (2004), Zambot 3

>>14437658
Argento Soma, Dairugger XV, Danball Senki
>>
>>14437658
Dunbine
>>
>>14437834
Oh, then.

Evangelion, Eureka 7, RahXephon, New Getter Robo, Gunbuster,...
>>
Try Daitarn 3.
>>
File: dann of thursday.jpg (125 KB, 852x1348) Image search: [Google]
dann of thursday.jpg
125 KB, 852x1348
Gun X Sword, man is on a revenge mission and he takes it seriously. No political crap, it's just a wild ride from beginning to end. The series isn't all doom and gloom, there are moments of levity, but it takes itself appropriately seriously. Even when the old Mexican power rangers are on screen.
>>
>>14437801
>is resolved by spoiler and a fuckton of reaction warheads
ftfy
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.