[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ever happened to this? It was scheduled to happen this month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11
File: hqdefault.jpg (46 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
46 KB, 480x360
What ever happened to this? It was scheduled to happen this month but I haven't heard anything yet and the month is almost over.
>>
>>14409613
America bitched out.
>>
>>14409613
America didn't have enough money to steal it and at the same time build the thing, so they opted to just steal it and cancel the kickstart, it's called doing an Anita
>>
File: hackfraud.png (354 KB, 656x576) Image search: [Google]
hackfraud.png
354 KB, 656x576
>>14409619
I figured megaturd team would. A lot of asinine attention seeking that amounted to a whole lotta' nothing. Their machine is total a disaster.
>>
>>14409619
>>14409689
>America's real plan was to motivate Japan to improve the Kuratas into an functional robot, then buy them for their own use.
>>
Couldn't they have gone ahead with it? Even if they lost, they would've had a good excuse to demand money.

>We lost this time, but with your help, we'll beat the japanese!!!
>>
Japan's machine
>>
File: eat_dirt_japan.png (670 KB, 597x482) Image search: [Google]
eat_dirt_japan.png
670 KB, 597x482
America's "machine"

>eat dirt, Japan!

My fucking sides.
>>
>>14409704
That's also called a Sarkeesian
>I got more than enough the first time and still didn't do the shit I promised, how about you pay me even more now?
>>
>>14409725
From the thumbnail I thought that was TF2 Megatron in vehicle form
>>
>>14409742
I had that reaction to a car crash.
>>
What a shit filler episode, there wasn't even any robot action.
>>
>>14409619
Ah fuck, really?

they couldn't even finish what they started.
>>
>>14409718
>>14409725
With their powers combined, they become Captain Guntank!
>>
>>14409613
>Unfortunately, we can't share news about the duel timing or location yet, because we have to jointly announce it with Suidobashi, but we'll get you information as soon as we can release it!
-March 23

Then, silence.
>>
>>14409735

What did she Kickstart?
>>
>>14409811
Suposedly it was going to be a feminist game, then 12 videos ranting about misogyny in game industry, she couldn't even do 5 but she got waaaay more than she asked

Now she's going to do the same with an rpg I think, seems she already spent the money in clothes and shit
>>
>>14409811
a shitstorm

seriously though, a web show of her talking about the depiction and role of women in video games
>>
>>14409819

What would a feminist game even be? I'd have thought something like Beyond Good & Evil or Recettear would have been feminist and there's a good few games that have non-explotative female characters, even if they're not a major focus, like Jet Set Radio/Future. I'm glad I completely ignored all the gamergate stuff, cause this is just make me feel confused.
>>
>>14409886
>What would a feminist game even be?
Non existant, watch her videos. she basically says that any interaction of a man and woman is rape and sexual objectification
>>
>>14409905
>your game can't have cute girls because that's objectification
>your game can't have ugly girls because that's objectification
>your game can't star a man because that's sexist
>your game can't star a woman in the same role as a man because that's sexist
Literally the only way to please Sarkeesian is some sort of mythology where women choose to live in '50s gender roles.
>>
>>14409905
She basically says: "Wow, TVTropes wrote a lot of episodes for me, let's just use all that material!"

And all the youtube commenters and people roughly as smart as them think that's cutting-edge feminist analysis.
>>
>>14409949
But even THAT is sexist anon.

Are you cis scum?
>>
>>14409949
Animals
Spaceship
Clay creatures
Cars
Giant Robots

But I'd honestly go for a fighting games featuring obese, black, old, irish and crippled women beating up male youtube personalities and collecting their male tears to blow up earth or something. I heard that feminists want to blow up earth, which is why they vagina'd the President into creating the moon landing program.
>>
>>14409905
And even if you were to exclude women from the game, exclusion is just as bad.

Wait, what if the game had ONLY women in it? Ah, wait, that wouldn't work - no antagonist, as women can't be evil, it's all men's fault.
>>
>>14409967
CIS scum here.
Roger roger.
>>
>>14409973
>But I'd honestly go for a fighting games featuring obese, black, old, irish and crippled women beating up male youtube personalities and collecting their male tears to blow up earth or something.
Sounds like a solid game, even if it were to e played solid, the sheer absurdity of it all would make it entertaining as fuck.
>>
>>14409979
Don't worry, same here.
>>
File: Roger roger.gif (663 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
Roger roger.gif
663 KB, 500x270
>>14409979
>>
>>14409992
>Even if it were to be played straight
Shit.
>>
>>14409766
There hasn't been complete silence...

There was an "It will not be in June" comment posted by an employee on reddits /r/megabots subreddit.

Not that that's any better.
>>
>>14410016
Some would say it better than nothing.
>>
File: feminism.gif (979 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
feminism.gif
979 KB, 500x376
>>14409992
Shooters in the style of Cho Aniki would be an option too. Power up with male tears and summon your beta orbiters.

The fire ze lazors
>>
>>14409979

On the internet you can be CIS scum irl and no one will ever know.
>>
>>14410031

I really wish the photos had been replaced with ones of toasters or something. It's still a great image though.
>>
>>14409619
>USA starts shit
>Can't even fucking go without making -two-kikestarters to get junk
>Mecha looks like a POS anyways

Why is this the ""team"" that decided to take on the mantle of representing my country? Let them fucking die. They aren't real Americans.

>>14410070
>not photos of B2 internals
>not pictures of Astromech droids interacting
>not pictures of CIS assembly lines
>not pictures of Protocol droids serving things
It's like you just walked off of Genosis or something.
>>
>>14410352
or to extend the toaster joke then that veggie cooker thing Aunt Beru was stuffing shit into
>>
>>14410352
Kuratas fights for men of all nations, and the human spirit itself.

Jikai, Muteki Senshi Kuratas:
"Disgrace! The honorable duel delayed?"
>>
>>14410365
>Episode 12
>>
>>14410365
That's why I support them.

The American team is less than a joke, it is a travesty. It's a living, breathing scar on robot enthusiasm. It has produced failure after failure and has delivered on none of its promises. Let them languish and rust.
>>
>>14410416
We steal the treads from the US Team and put them on the Kuratas, LO AND BEHOLD WE HAVE EITHER A GUNTANK, A DAUGHTRESS TANK OR A TRAGOS
>>
>>14410702
I would rather someone steal their shit and make something themselves.
>>
we get a motorized wheelchair
then we strap sharp stuff to it orkstyle or like the Cart of Death
then somebody sits inside with protective gear
then he yells IKE! FANNARU!!!! and throws bricks at the other machines until they break
>>
>>14410763

We should just make Mazingolfer a reality.

>what? TWO Guns!?
>>
>>14410763
>the funnels are all remote controlled battlebots
>>
>>14410031
That is cool as hell. How did this guy get his hands on this full sized prop model?
>>
People still claiming the American team stole the money and fucked off in spite of their last update being two weeks ago

Kuratas' developers demanded melee in their duel, which Megabot wasn't built for. Of course they postponed the fight.

Also Megabot looks like shit because it was designed and built by like twelve random jackoffs whereas Kuratas was developed by millionaire with his own company.

In any fictional story people would be rooting for the junkheap underdog robot over the streamlined corporate one, but I guess /m/ just wants to see people's dreams die so they can believe every kickstarter dev is a shitnosed liar.
>>
>>14411340
did they at least pay you per word for all that shit?
>>
>>14411340
>People still claiming the American team stole the money and fucked off in spite of their last update being two weeks ago
I think they're faggots in general for doing it at all.

>Kuratas' developers demanded melee in their duel, which Megabot wasn't built for. Of course they postponed the fight.
So you're saying team megashit issued a challenge they weren't prepared for? Fascinating. Don't care about the dates personally.

>Also Megabot looks like shit because it was designed and built by like twelve random jackoffs whereas Kuratas was developed by millionaire with his own company.
So it still looks like shit is what you're saying?

I'm not rooting for an underdog who asks for fucking handouts, looks like a POS, and by all means has acted like one too. That dog can eat curb.
>>
>>14411340
>Kuratas was developed by millionaire with his own company.
No, it wasn't. The guy's job is to make iron fences by hand. He's a literal blacksmith.
>>
>>14411357
>I think they're faggots for doing it at all

If you were going to hate Megabots no matter what it was then why are you even criticizing the details? You're wasting your own time picking for reasons to be angrier than you already were to start.

Also melee wasn't PART of the challenge they issued. It was a condition added after they made the challenge. Not their fault.

And in terms of asking for money, what would you have done? You can't start a company without fucking money, let alone build a robot. I mean, thye built a robot before they even HAD a kickstarter, but it sucked. But they still did it.

If you expected them to have a perfect robot before they even had time or money to build one, then you're impossible to please.

But, considering you hated the idea from the start, you are impossible to please. So again, why are you even arguing about it if nothing could have satisfied you?
>>
>>14411413
Source?

I can't even find info on the Kuratas' development beyond the wiiki page and the few videos on Suidobashi's website.
>>
>>14411450
"No matter what" huh? Nice job there, both misconstruing what I said so broadly and putting words in my mouth at the same time.

I don't like Megabots for being beggars, choosy ones at that. I don't like them for not being prepared and trying to do this anyway. I don't like them for, as you yourself put it, doing shit without money, and then asking for money after they said they'd do aforementioned shit, and I don't like how you defend them for these things.

If asking for a self-sufficient team is too much to ask then clearly I'm, as you say, impossible to please. Eat shit.
>>
It makes me sad that this might not happen, considering there's a miniscule chance it could open up the possibility of mecha combat as a sport.
>>
I didn't really keep up with it, but the last time I read anything about the event, the American team seemed really cocky and self-assured about it. They were really hyped to do this, and that show of overt confidence is likely why they're getting flack for it now.

Honestly, I'm not that interested in the whole thing. I'm more inclined to want to see what Boston Dynamics does next. Kuratas looks really neat, though.
>>
>>14411718
At least we have Battlebots.
>>
>>14411718
>It makes me sad that this might not happen, considering there's a miniscule chance it could open up the possibility of mecha combat as a sport.
It was never going to work either way. Mecha Combat had always been far more exciting in fiction that it could ever be in reality. It just doesn't look that good when realism gets in the way and we don't get dramatic explosions and sounds. We would practically have to add artificial sound effects.
>>
>>14411340
>Kuratas' developers demanded melee in their duel, which Megabot wasn't built for. Of course they postponed the fight.
of course the megabot wasn't built for melee, it has no functional limbs, it's an elevated forklift, lacking almost all elements of a robot and capabilities of "battling", didn't stop the crew from announcing a robot battle.
>>
>>14411631
Self sufficient as in having money from the start for no reason? Where is that supposed to come from?

Large, expensive projects get started through support from investors. That's what kickstarter is. They don't have anything to sell because they weren't a functioning company yet. So what the fuck were they supposed to so?

Also you said "for doing this at all", which I took to mean you hated them for even attempting the project. Which makes it seem like nothing they did would have pleased you. Because they "did it at all".
>>
>>14410763
>then he yells IKE! FANNARU!!!!
Lost.
>>
>>14411851
It's limbs do move though. As in like, the guns re-angle themselves. Just slowly.

Mostly, they claim, because they didn't have the actuators they needed, because the company they commissioned wouldn't make them until now.

Also they kinda imply that their image of a "giant robot" was closer to the Battletech and Mechwarrior image, which also don't have arms functional enough for melee. Thing is they also couldn't build legs, so it went from "tank with legs" to "tank that looks like it has legs".

(But I forgive them for announcing a battle already, in spite of their shit psuedo-robot. They wanted publicity because if they didn't have that then the project would fall through even more easily. They still at least talk about having plans for better robots in the future.)
>>
>>14412240
>Also they kinda imply that their image of a "giant robot" was closer to the Battletech and Mechwarrior image, which also don't have arms functional enough for melee.

But Atlases can punch another battlemech into its constituent parts
>>
>>14412262
Maybe the folks at Megabots just aren't fans of the Atlas?

Regardless, I don't think that's generally the overall IMAGE of Mechwarrior.

And maybe they'll add moving arms in the future, and it just wasn't convenient for their first prototype. Woulda been way more impressive though.
>>
>>14412275
>Regardless, I don't think that's generally the overall IMAGE of Mechwarrior.

I know, when they think "mech" most people think of Clan mechs like the Mad Cat, or something like the Catapult - cockpits with legs that have guns strapped to them

Punches though
>>
>>14412285
Well, apparently they plan on giving it a Chainsaw of some kind, according to this concept art they put out.

(God it looks so fucking awful though. I almost want this fight to happen just so Kuratas can beat it.)
>>
>>14412301
Also, why the fire? There's no way they'll be able to semi-safely do that with piloted robots.

As if this pic isn't 90% publicity stunt anyway.
>>
>>14409613
Reminder that taco bell featured the american kickstarter in their boss commercials
>>
>>14412301
alright, say they were passionate about giant robots and needed the publicity and funding to get things going.

>we need your money
>here's the concept
>look at all the tastless cosmetic bullshit you will be paying for
>pretty much the prototype with new arms
>the useless legs are gonna stay

I ain't no expert on marketing but if I want the crowd to fund my project, I will at least try to make it look like I am spending the money sparingly on places that actually matters.
>>
>>14412355
>The useless legs are gonna stay

Actually they're partnered with IMHC robotics as well, who claim they're helping to build more dynamic and better-balanced legs.

So the implication seems to be that they won't be able to walk, but they'll be able to tilt/balance the upper body at higher speeds, and generally do more than slide up and down as slowly as possible.

Which, idk, is BETTER
>>
>>14409725
Jesus christ I am embarassed by my countrymen.
>>
>>14411751
Well, it *could* be reality, just in the far future.
>>
>>14412381
Misleading. That's a WIP of the tracks, not the whole machine.
>>
>>14410786
>F91 Bugs.mp4
>>
File: robot-jox.jpg (42 KB, 856x482) Image search: [Google]
robot-jox.jpg
42 KB, 856x482
>>14412311
>Also, why the fire? There's no way they'll be able to semi-safely do that with piloted robots.

That's a good question. Will the robots have actual pilots inside cockpits, or just a guy with a remote controller?

I know, people don't want get hurt, but c'mon... We need some bloodshed.

Our times will be remembered as the crazy years of the Robot Battles, just like the early years of auto racing, when drivers died every race
>>
>>14412301
>giant eagle's heads wearing "laughing at you" shades with guns coming out of their beaks.
And people said Japan's mech design is flashy and toy-like.
>>
>>14411413
Correct, though he actually did set up a company for the whole Kuratas project, but initially with only himself in it.
>>
Hey now guys, it's not even the end of the month yet. I'm gonna wait til July and if no news happened by then, the Japs probably win by default.
>>
File: snap27.jpg (100 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
snap27.jpg
100 KB, 1200x675
>>14411505
倉田小五郎

i thought this vid is listed on the site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCxbD67WhGc
>>
>>14413131
I mean, did they ever SAY june? Or just"in a year"?

They've also said things like "sometime next year" in 2015, but i dont know if that was before or after japan accepted
>>
>>14413140
How the fuck is that even possible though? Where did the targetting programming and shit come from?

Also the exterior looks plastic, but thats just my semse of judgement. It just seems unlikely that not knowing shit about mechanics, or anything beyond blacksmithing can translate into that.
>>
>>14412240
>>14412262
>>14412275
There was no melee in MechWarrior, but if you read the books or look at the core Battletech rules then battlemechs are portrayed more like anime mecha, because that's exactly what it's supposed to be.
>>
>>14416263
Whoa, man, do you mean to tell me that uplifting stories from promotional videos might not be completely true? Next you'll be telling me that not every Olympian grew up in a poor neighborhood with a single mom just struggling to get by.
>>
>>14416263
The software comes from some other guy he's friends with. And he clearly says that he does study what he needs to. So, the assumption is that he picked up textbooks whenever he got stumped.

It highlights how little you actually need to know to build a poseable sculpture. And how negligent the megabots guys are.
>>
>>14416263
He asked someone to work with him on the project and do the programming part.

Other stuff is just him picking up the textbooks to learn whatever he needs, electrical shit and whatnot.
>>
>>14409613
The Kuratas will fight the robo dog from Boston Dynamics.

Megaturd Robot creators are big faggots. They won't deliver stuff.
>>
>>14409613
Is anyone on the side of America at this point?
>>
>>14418085
You know things are dire when you can't even find contrarian shitposters on /m/ to bitch about the prevailing opinion.
>>
>>14418085
there were some people who were hyped and didn't get all the negativity.
Not in this thread I guess.
>>
File: megabot.jpg (581 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
megabot.jpg
581 KB, 2048x1366
>>14418085
I will, if they actually deliver.

All those promo shots of the crew chilling around the Mk2 are incredible to me. The sunglasses make them look like absolute ricks.

I can't help but love them.
>>
>>14418513
My biggest problem with the Megabot team is just how damn ugly the robot is. Sure, Kuratas isn't exactly Dangaioh or Gravion, but it at least has some style and visual flare.
>>
>>14412301
Literally a monster of the week mobile armor
>>
>>14418386
I was one of those people

'was.'

One year ago was a different time, anon. Things were looking better for the future of mech-sports.
>>
>>14418610
Damn right. Slow-moving/nearly immobile arms aside, if it just had a not-shit paintjob and some cool, superfluously detailed panels it might be as well-loved as Kuratas.

Like they made it look rusty and junky on purpose. That speckled look is intentional. Maybe because they want to firmly establish that it's not the final product?
>>
>>14417880
The UI from that vid is most likely just added CG, but the actual control/movement is legit since the guy from the V-Sido stuff joined in.
>>
>>14417987
>>14418052
>studying what you need to on the fly
see there's this thing i hate about current situation especially on programming, it's that you need to have a perfect workings in and out and employ all the best-practices of it, or don't bother using it.
wanna know how to do a thing in C#? here's how, BUT DON'T DO THIS because it's "bad practice". you need to learn why and how and reinvent the wheel on your own before you're qualified and eligible to ever use it.

it drives people away from ever learning stuff they need to, and rely on other "professional" to do it instead.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.