[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question: how much influence did SEED have in shaping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 25
File: 1430441005354.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1430441005354.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
Honest question: how much influence did SEED have in shaping the way anime is currently made?
>>
Other than being a major early digital anime title, little to none. It made TMR a lot more famous and was a popular series with women. It gave Gundam an extra kick in the pants and 'may' have resulted in the higher number of series we've seen produced after 2000, but that can just as easily be tributed to Unicorn.
>>
Actually, Seed's biggest aspect was being a major title for pirating. It was one of the first newly airing anime series to get a large foreign audience as it aired week by week, coinciding largely with the rise of bittorrent. At first, I got early episodes from naptster and other such programs, but by the end of the show, torrents took over and changed everything.
>>
>>14371810
>was a popular series with women
Really? I can see the reasoning, but still kind for me to believe
>>
>>14371845

TMR was already pretty popular
>>
Whenever I see a flashback I think of Seed
>>
>>14371857

Fujoshi buy tons of merchandise for it. Not the kits, but everything else. That's one aspect where Destiny did extremely well. The kits flopped, but the fujoshi bought everything else and kept it going because of the love for Kira/Athrun/Lacus/Cagalli.

Despite the show effectively fucking over all of them either literally, or through character assassination.
>>
>>14371864
>Not the kits, but everything else.

Bullshit. They buy the kits as well.
>>
>>14371864
Huh, I always thought of Wing and 00 as the fujo show
>>
>>14371864
And there was also the Sunrise/Bandai exec/producer who said that it was the wrong crowd that they wanted to attract. Virtually none of the SEED fans are going to be the "next generation" of Gundam fans that they hoped would replace the aging UC bloc. They're still trying to shift the tide by marketing stuff like Bearguys and making girls more prominent in the Build Fighters sub-franchise, but it's hard to say if any of that is going to be successful (they'd have more luck investing more into Love Live).

In the long run, SEED/Destiny's only real impact was on doujins and hentai, most of the rest is negative. You could say that it's something of a precursor to Geass, but at least the latter doesn't pretend to be about mecha.
>>
>>14371924
Yeah if nobody bought the kits we could easily get that shit on HLJ, aside from the ludicrous shipping of course

>>14371927
Wing might as well be if the amount of crossovers between it and Harry Potter (I don't fucking know why man, it just is) and stories involving Yaoi are any indication
>>
>>14371924
Kits from the first series move, not so much for Destiny. They (and SEED in general really) get much more focus nowadays with regards to merchandising, with Kira being depicted with the Freedom in his SEED uniform over his Destiny incarnation.
>>
>>14371955
>Yeah if nobody bought the kits we could easily get that shit on HLJ, aside from the ludicrous shipping of course
From what I understand, they don't do reprints of Destiny kits all that often.
>>
>>14371810
I'd watch SEED The Origin if they kept it retro.
>>
>>14371857
Some faggot spouts bullshit he read on a forum for gaijin. Just ignore it.
>>
>>14371845
Didn't Destiniy practically create the trainwreck genre?
Who started the trend for omnipandering and sappy teenage drama?
Were they popular before Seed?
I can't think of anything righ now.
>>
>>14371973
interesting.
>>
>>14371845
>but that can just as easily be tributed to Unicorn

Honestly it can be, hell we've had more series quicker post unicorn than post SEED. (Not saying SEED didn't have any hand in jumping starting gundam but Unicorn had a big hand in it as well)
>>
>>14371810

It greatly popularized the use of mainstream j-pop stars in anime, thereby precluding future anime productions to trend with having to spend exorbitant amounts of money just to have A list names.
>>
>>14372109
>TOI HAVE A PROPULAR FANBASE SECEPRR
???
>>
>>14371927
Gundam and fujoshi have been intertwined since day one.

Hell they're probably the most relevant demographic to Sunrise aside from plamo purchasers.
>>
>>14372132
They reprint the main stuff. The Force Impulse, Strike Freedom, Destiny, and Infinite Justice. Those are the star machines, so they get more promotion and reprints. But the rest don't, and the reason their prices are so high is because of the more limited number of them and they won't be restocked. Same thing goes for stuff like the 1/100 NGs.

I have a buddy who is giddy this summer because some kits are finally getting reprints after so long.
>>
>>14372305
Aside from a quick shot of Fraw's granny panties in the first episode, the first actual fanservice in Gundam was Char's ass
>>
>>14371944
>You could say that it's something of a precursor to Geass, but at least the latter doesn't pretend to be about mecha.

Yeah both Seed and later Geass seemed to popularize the idea of a show selling entirely because of the popularity of the leads (or in Geass's case, the lead alone) and nothing else, regardless of the quality of the show or if the characters even did anything.
>>
File: never forget.jpg (53 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
never forget.jpg
53 KB, 500x356
>>14371924
Kits associated with the main SEED crew sell well, and even that can be a little shaky. Athrun's 1/100 Saviour kit was weirdly delayed after well after the show ended and kits for all of the endgame mecha were already on shelves. The original Justice is STILL the only original SEED suit not to have at least one MG.

Anything not directly associated with those characters is like a lost cause to Bandai. They never finished releasing 1/100s for the Extended Gundams. The Windams never got a release in any form. The re-released 1/144s for SEED HD were a bomb and the line was discontinued before they got to GSD. It took YEARS and multiple video game retellings until they backed off of Strike Freedom and started marketing Destiny Gundam like oh yeah it was sorta supposed to be the titular mecha of the entire show.
>>
>>14372079
>Who started the trend for omnipandering and sappy teenage drama?

It didn't start the trend, as those elements were not something SEED created. What SEED did was simply popularize stuff, as really it wasn't all that original. It was all things people had seen before, including in Fukuda's previous work, but all included in a highly marketed show meant for mainstream appeal.

Which, sad to say, has only made SEED more generic as time passed.
>>
>>14372498
Well I still like the first show, Anon.
>>
File: gundam 0017.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gundam 0017.jpg
140 KB, 1280x720
>>14371810
It started wincest route
>>
>>14372498
Is there supposed to be something unique going in this image, or...?
>>
>>14372532
The fuck is wrong with Kira's eye? And why is everybody so poorly drawn?
>>
>>14372545
Original artwork (and various magazine descriptions) depicted Destiny's palm cannon as a ranged weapon. Then the show turned it into a "herp derp I can only shoot from point blank range" gimped version of Shining Finger.
>>
File: gundam seed Cagalli.jpg (21 KB, 397x251) Image search: [Google]
gundam seed Cagalli.jpg
21 KB, 397x251
>>14372554
Fast moving scene before remaster version.

(They even have bald Athrun in it)
>>
>>14372498
>It took YEARS and multiple video game retellings until they backed off of Strike Freedom and started marketing Destiny Gundam like oh yeah it was sorta supposed to be the titular mecha of the entire show.

Something I've actually wondered about lately is how pissed Bandai were at Fukuda and Morosawa because they had to default back to the old cast. They would have wanted Destiny to be accessible to newer viewers, you know, so that they could build upon the success of the first series. Make more SEED fans, not just more SEED for the existing fans. I like to call it "the Beast of Accessibility," that any TV Gundam could be the audience's first (minus Unicorn TV because that shit was not planned. I don't watch it, but do those recaps make the story any more accessible?).

Fukuda and Morosawa spent too much time focusing on the old cast instead of the new cast they were supposed to follow. When I watched Destiny for the first time, I was asking myself whether Shinn's lack of focus was because it was the HD Remaster but I later learned that was not the case. I don't buy the "Athrun is the protagonist" excuse, because that's all it is. Not when he gets the least amount of promotion of the trinity.

Considering how Shinn's VA has gone on the record saying Shinn wasn't supposed to turn out the way he did, basically saying Shinn's story was derailed, yet still has been back to the franchise in Try, I can't help but think some of the higher ups weren't happy either.
>>
>>14372079
>Didn't Destiniy practically create the trainwreck genre?
The first truly disastrous mecha show, to my knowledge, is God Mars. But that one sadly wasn't bad in a funny way

>Who started the trend for omnipandering and sappy teenage drama?
Shakespeare.
>>
>>14372619
>Shakespeare.
Arguably goes back to the Greeks
>>
>>14372079
>Didn't Destiniy practically create the trainwreck genre?
Technically speaking, it's probably Ginguiser that did so.
>>
>>14372632

Chargeman Ken.
>>
>>14372305
Love Live, my dude.
It's absurd how much merch that shit rakes in.
>>
>>14372717
Let's look past money printers for a second though, and at least acknowledge that fujo are a very important demographic.

Always bet on fujoshi. Always.

>tfw realizing a number of things I like happen to be fujo magnets
>>
>>14372559
Didn't the Strike Freedom only use it's Wing of Light once in the broadcast version, making many people think it was an animation error because that was supposed to be Shinn's thing?
>>
>>14371810
Why does this parody-Origin!Kira look more like Bellri?
>>
>>14372435
I think that's not quite true. SEED kits sold pretty well at the time and even the re-releases aren't exactly failures. And yeah, I realize it's popular to hate on SEED now, but the show did in fact bring a fresh take to Gundam back in the day, especially when it moves away from 0079. Geass didn't have anything to Gundam's model kit selling power, that's true, but it's interesting how it did well with the RD figures, plus the fact it was both following SEED and yet flipping it off at the same time.
>>
>>14372559
I thought it always could shoot from a far, but the reason that they put it on the hands was because they were trying to give it a gimmick (copped from G Gundam...)

>>14372614
>Considering how Shinn's VA has gone on the record saying Shinn wasn't supposed to turn out the way he did, basically saying Shinn's story was derailed, yet still has been back to the franchise in Try, I can't help but think some of the higher ups weren't happy either.

Why don't we actually try to translate that SRW Z scan where he talks about Shinn?
>>
>>14371944
If this were really true, they wouldn't be re-releasing SEED stuff with decent success not so long ago. It's just another AU and obviously can't replace UC though.
>>
>>14371810
It was popular, though a lot of the weird issues with the show were already present in older series, including Tomino's own wild rides like Victory
>>
>>14372079
Gundam Wing was a thing.
>>
It was responsible for the creation of /m/
>>
>>14372574
It's curious how even the remaster actually ruined some of the scenes they were trying to "fix" too.
>>
>>14373083
>plus the fact it was both following SEED

uwotm8
>>
>>14373085

SEED is over a decade old, and has a major nostalgia thing going for it in Japan. It's also, from some of my experience with Gunota's from over there, still popular with younger Gundam fans (but very unpopular with the older ones).
Anyway http://aeug.blogspot.ca/2006_12_01_archive.html#116679862810055653
Here is Bandai's president talking about it.
-_-_-

Anyway, anyone else feel the amount of fanservice in Destiny smells of desperation?
>>
>>14373130
Stuff like, you know, Suzaku being a Kira Yamato stand-in. Just that he's quite a bit more messed up inside rather than the true hero (tm)
>>
File: saad maan is saad.jpg (21 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
saad maan is saad.jpg
21 KB, 500x334
>>14373141
>Suzaku being a Kira Yamato stand-in
This ff.net-tier
>>
>>14373141
>Just that he's quite a bit more messed up inside rather than the true hero (tm)
Yup, that's Kira all right.
>>
>>14373037
Pretty sure it's Banana.
>>
>>14373140
Unpopular with the aging Gundam core fanbase, who were old enough to grow up with Z-ZZ-CCA and maybe 0079, but ten years later most SEED fans aren't going to be teenagers anymore. They're not frozen in time.

Fanservice and mecha have a long history together, from Go Nagai to Macross and even some of the random nudity in UC. Rain and Allenby in G would also qualify as precursors for that.
>>
>>14373152
>Fanservice and mecha have a long history together, from Go Nagai to Macross and even some of the random nudity in UC. Rain and Allenby in G would also qualify as precursors for that.
No no no. I mean stuff like putting Cagalli in her panties in the opening. There's fanservice, then there's being blatant.
>>
>>14373146
>>14373144
Its simplistic, given Kira had development in the first SEED series and all, but it's not an inherently wrong label to stick on him by the time Destiny entered the picture.
>>
>>14373165
I feel like going into a brief history of the pantyshot in anime now, but my decency compels me to stop. Just going to say that it was following the sign of the times (early 00s, late 90s).
>>
>>14373141
You're reaching.
>>
>>14373186
Okay, how would you quickly describe him then?
>>
It clearly appealed to a larger demographic than the one watching Turn A and thus paved the road for Gundam doing that a couple more times afterwards.. That's pretty much the gist of it.
>>
>>14373184
True, but Destiny was and still is a kids show. After all, the first SEED attracted complaints from concerned parents because the broadcast implied Kira and Flay had sex. So the increased sexualization, especially after the 90's clamped down on it, seems sorta weird to me. I mean, we all know Destiny's remaster had nipples while Cross Ange (a show targetting a much older demographic) didn't.
>>
>>14372769
>Always
K says hi.
>>
>>14373206
Was Fukuda that liberal about nudity and sex with his Cyber Formula shows and such?
>>
>>14373238
There was this interview where he talked about what the producers from the network wanted. They were constantly telling him to try and make things more shocking. "Make this death more cruel," Fukuda alledges them saying.

So, it's hard to tell how much of it was Fukuda and how much was the producers. Remember, if he had his way SEED wouldn't have been a war story. It would have been a "robot anime" like Dendoh.
>>
>>14373257

Didn't he want Flay to be turned into a human bomb ala Zambot 3, and that it was Morosawa who convinced him otherwise?
>>
>>14373221
Osomatsu-san says hi.
>>
>>14371927
>Huh, I always thought of Wing and 00 as the fujo show
Wing had a larger fujo audience than most of the other 90's Gundam AUs, but even with them the audience for Wing just generally wasn't too large.

As for 00, it was the success of SEED and Destiny with the fujo audience that prompted 00 to pursue that audience.
>>
>>14371859
Just looking at this image and I can hear it
>>
File: 1255466249957.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1255466249957.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>14372619
>The first truly disastrous mecha show, to my knowledge, is God Mars.
Why God Mars, specifically? There were tons of terrible mecha shows before God Mars, and God Mars isn't even really that bad a show.

It is kind of interesting that you'd bring it up in a SEED/Destiny, thread, though, since God Mars was also a mecha show that found a secondary female audience. Mars/Marg was apparently a rather popular (if incestuous) pairing.

A quick God Mars fun fact: the show ran for over a year, for 64 episodes--frankly a ridiculous amount of episodes for a mecha show. At the time, it was outmatched only by the original Mazinger Z, and even now I don't know that many other mecha shows have topped it.
>>
File: Godmars.gif (840 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Godmars.gif
840 KB, 320x240
>>14373675
>Why God Mars, specifically?
It occurs to be you might have been refer to the fact that, about 1/3 of the way through the show, the storyline veers off in a totally different direction--

--from fighting Emperor Satan
--to fighting space pirate ships and dealing with alien psychic racism
--only, after the plot has _finally_ found it's footing again, to switch back to fighting Emperor Satan
>>
>>14371927
>>14373618
What's funny about 00 is its main audience was mostly older males (confirmed by its director/screenwriter) despite pandering heavily to fujos through its character design.
>>
>>14371857
only evidence I can think of to support this is the amount of cosplay/yaoi/female targeted merch SEEd got.
Also one panel in Molester man that showed a female character watching Destiny
>>
>>14373921
The Mc watched Destiny, fapping to Stella, while Loli referred to it as a homo anime.
>>
>>14373186
>>14373144

It's not too far-fetched. They're both idealistic super-soldier pilots of a super-powerful prototype mech. And their love interests are idealistic pacifistic pink princesses.
>>
File: pleasuring myself.jpg (75 KB, 550x385) Image search: [Google]
pleasuring myself.jpg
75 KB, 550x385
>>14373936
That can describe several other /m/ characters, pink princesses or otherwise.
>>
>>14372498
So, it was really a gun all along?
>>
>>14373943
Indeed. Ultimately it all dates back to Amuro, though he was less preachy comparatively speaking.
>>
>>14371810
>yfw people predicted Unicorn years ago
we all know how unicorn ends up becoming just SEED set in the UC
>>14373981
It is, in other games, it actually was used as a midrange weapon
>>
File: AqMF8urCIAE5_0L.jpg (27 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
AqMF8urCIAE5_0L.jpg
27 KB, 500x333
It's Domon!
>>
>>14373675
>There were tons of terrible mecha shows before God Mars
Undoubtedly, but God Mars was the first that I thought had a number of outright retarded plot developments. At least, from what I've seen and from what's been subbed

>God Mars isn't even really that bad a show
I can't find a single redeeming thing about it until the very last arc. The very premise is fucking stupid. If Zule can make a bomb that can blow up Earth, why the fuck would he put it in a giant robot and ask a baby to detonate it in 18 years? Just fucking destroy the planet if that's your goal. And then there's stupid stuff like Takeru's friends antagonizing him for awhile and somehow not talking into account that they'd be fucked without God Mars, killing off the most potentially interesting character in the show (Marg), the bomb magically disappearing, the stuff that >>14373710 mentioned, how absolutely boring the show was due to the invincibility of the title robot, the slideshow fights, and many more things I'd probably remember if I wasn't trying hard to forget

The Devil Rings were a legitimately good plot point. It's the only thing I'll give the show
>>
>>14373936
Weren't both Kira and Suzaku inspired by Amuro, while Creuset and Lelouch were their respective Chars?
>>
>>14374723
>Weren't both Kira and Suzaku inspired by Amuro

They are, but Kira was the first one to have a princess-type for a love interest, wherein Amuro's depended on which medium you look at?
>>
>>14371955
>Crossover between Wing and Harry Potter
I thought it was just a few people making crossovers, then I googled it and found 180+ results on fanfiction.net. What the fuck
>>
>>14374989
Fujos are something else.
>>
>>14374719
>I can't find a single redeeming thing about it until the very last arc. The very premise is fucking stupid. If Zule can make a bomb that can blow up Earth, why the fuck would he put it in a giant robot and ask a baby to detonate it in 18 years? Just fucking destroy the planet if that's your goal.
Zule's goal isn't to destroy Earth. Zule's goal was to convince Takeru to become his heir, and for Takeru to destroy the Earth as a show of loyalty. It's only after Takeru refuses Zule that he personally takes an interest in destroying the Earth, and even then it's only to spite Takeru.

It is kind of silly that Zule took the circuitous route of building Takeru a psychic robot with a bomb. But at the same time, you could make that complaint about any mecha show. If Kouji Kabuto's father built him a Super Alloy golf car and a gun, he'd have taken out Dr. Hell in half the episodes.
>>
Are we conveniently forgetting that Lelouch is babbies first Reinhard?
>>
>>14375436
>And then there's stupid stuff like Takeru's friends antagonizing him for awhile and somehow not talking into account that they'd be fucked without God Mars, killing off the most potentially interesting character in the show (Marg), the bomb magically disappearing, the stuff that >>14373710 (You) mentioned,

These were all good things, though. Of course the Crasher Squad is suspicious of the literal space alien in their squad with the means and mission to blow up the Earth. I agree Marg was a good character and I thought his plot line was fantastic. His death served a real point to the story, though.

As for the bomb disappearing, it leaves Gaia's body and destroys Zule's physical body at the end of the first story arc. You are kind of right about it "magically disappearing." That the planet bomb leaves Gaia, and that it blows up Zule without destroying the planet Gishin, are both portrayed as miraculous events.

The series also ends with Mars literally going into hell to rescue the souls of the dead from the devil. Afterwards, Mars leaves Earth and ascends into the heavens. Miracles and the "godliness" of God Mars are major themes for large parts of the show. It's only appropriate that it takes a miracle for Mars to triumph over Zule.
>>
>>14375461
No he's babby's first Char. Let it go anon, just because fujos on some forum liked CLAMP character designs doesn't mean there's a need to fuel a fake fanbase war between Geass and LoGH.
>>
>>14375461
Lelouch was a Char. Reinhard is also a Char, but even Char was not the first Char.
>>
>>14373005
Strike Freedom's WoL is weird. In the original Phase 39 animation, it only has the blue flares when the Dragoons are launching off of its wings. Then it had the constant WoL effect in later broadcast episodes, and the effect was retroactively added into the DVD version of 39.

But yeah the entire thing comes off like Fukuda was going "Hey, Shinn's Gundam has a cool unique gimmick? Well muh awesome badass self-insert character needs that too!"
>>
>>14376015
More like what is Strike Freedom suppose to use for thrust/mobility if it has the wings/dragoons deployed? It needs WoL.
>>
>>14375464
You cannot handwave everything away with muh themes. Even if you're correct about what the were trying to get at, there are far better ways to go about it. Zambot 3 did essentially the same thing, but at least with that show, there was the rationale that Zambot's presence was the whole reason the aliens were attacking and the pilots genuinely were irresponsible for a time. It also didn't have its protagonist participate in an irrelevant war that he had no stake in whatsoever because a girl he met 5 minutes ago asked him to in order to pad out the show
>>
>>14376119
I won't argue that Zambot 3's the better show, but even then that's like praising with faint damnation.

Sure, Zambot 3 is better than God Mars. Zambot 3 is better then almost any mecha show, aside from the budget animation.
>>
>>14371810
>Honest question: how much influence did SEED have in shaping the way anime is currently made?

Seed was a business venture for Banrise to see if they could turn Garbage into gold. It was a resounding success in that right. It turned out people were dumb enough to buy just about anything that they passed of as Gundam.
>>
>>14376036
>More like what is Strike Freedom suppose to use for thrust/mobility if it has the wings/dragoons deployed?

How about have it use literally any form of thrust in CE that doesn't involve giant gaudy angel wings? There's no in-universe reason why it's required to have WoL.
>>
>>14376372
But giant gaudy wings are the freedom's gimmick and advantage. The wings can be deployed in "High Mobility Aerial Tactics (HiMAT) Mode" to enhance its mobility in the atmosphere or in space.
>>
>>14374719
>If Zule can make a bomb that can blow up Earth, why the fuck would he put it in a giant robot and ask a baby to detonate it in 18 years? Just fucking destroy the planet if that's your goal.

Because that's taken from the Mars manga which has a completely different story and its moral is "humans are the real monsters"
>>
>>14374680
Fuck off, Fllay.
>>
>>14376467
Giant gaudy hologram wings, then.
>>
I just have shit taste but I fucking loved both seed and destiny and I rewatched them every year

Most of my plamos are seed kits
>>
>>14371924
Model kit wise, SEED is infamous in that everything that wasn't piloted by Kira fucking bombed. The other four GAT-Xs, the druggies, the Justice, the Providence, the grunts, you name it, it flopped. This is the reason why the Strike and the Freedom are nigh-omnipresent in damn near every line, while everything else has to just hope really hard Bandai decides to give them a shot.

It says something that it wasn't until SEED HD Remaster that Bandai tried to release the other GAT-X units as MGs, and even then it was primarily a marketing thing similar to Wing EW. All of them were redesigned, there was a "collect-them-all" sort of mentality, and it was all supposed to lead up to Strike vRM and Freedom 2.0... only it must have done pretty badly because Freedom 2.0 didn't come out until this year. And forget Justice.

Skip to Destiny, and shit gets even worse. For the longest time only Strike Freedom ever really got representation, and sort of Destiny in order to give the SF a rival. To Bandai's credit they at least attempted to get Infinite Justice and the Impulse out there (...much later than the previous two), but even though they had fucking incredible MGs it just didn't take. PG, RD, MB, RG, and inevitably HG, you name a line and Strike Freedom is in it. Same for Destiny, with the exception of PG. Everything else? You wish.

And of course, Destiny had Blast Impulse, which was the butt of jokes for years because of Bandai's seemingly endless hatred for it. Hell if it weren't for P-Bandai we'd probably have just gotten Sword and Force only again.
>>
>>14377935
Blast is kind of sad desu. Launcher's single gun felt more impressive than Blast's twin pool noodles.
>>
File: gundam seed 00029.jpg (101 KB, 436x640) Image search: [Google]
gundam seed 00029.jpg
101 KB, 436x640
>>14376796
>>
File: gundam seed 00032.gif (194 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
gundam seed 00032.gif
194 KB, 500x705
>>14372532
> Kira X Cagalli
How to completely destroy a ship without causing fan rage
>>
>>14378661
The only thing I remember Blast Impulse doing was killing Auel with its beam javelin, which could've been accomplished by Force or Sword with their melee weapons.

Otherwise, Blast Impulse is just a crappier version of Luna's gimmick: having a big gun, but never hitting anything, because it would kill all potential for dramatic tension if you could shoot down half the enemy force before they get in range.
>>
>>14378770
Blast at least has hovering capabilities, though. Poor Launcher can't even swim to save its life.
>>
>>14377935
Well, what do you expect? Kira's MS were the ones that got to shine. Even the Strike, everything Kira touches has to be the best and somewhat OP. And when we get to Destiny, where they're focusing so much on the old cast while the Freedom (last year's toy) is still kicking ass, is it any wonder people weren't going nuts over the Gunpla?

Not to mention how many variants there were in the Destiny line.
>>
>>14377935
Your reasoning for the mg seed and destiny kits has no basis. The desriny mg kits came out in pretty fast succession. Remember bandai has to plan their products a year in advance also give wiggle room to move it around the schedule.
>>
>>14379049
>Not to mention how many variants there were in the Destiny line
Where have I heard that recently?
>>
>>14379226
Impulses: 2 (Force and Sword)
ZAKUs: 6 (Warrior, Gunner, Gunner Luna Custom, Blaze Rey Custom, Blaze Dearka Custom, Live Concert)
GOUF: 3 (Ignited, Heine Custom, Yzak Custom)
Murasame: 2 (Regular and Andy Custom
Akatsuki: 2 (Shiranui and Owashi) (And how much did they reuse from the Strike?)
Gaia Gundam: 2 (Regular and Andy Custom)

Not to mention, in some cases they were releasing the Ace customs first.
>>
>>14379049
>>14379226
>>14379356
Wasn't the Ootori pretty good in the market too?
>>
>>14379214
>>14379214
> The desriny mg kits came out in pretty fast succession.

MG Strike Freedom - Dec 2006
MG Destiny - October 2007
MG Force Impulse - May 2008
MG 00 Justice - October 2008
MG Sword Impulse - April 2009
MG Strike Rouge Ootori - Sept 2013

It took two years after the end of the show for a MG Destiny kit that wasn't piloted by Kira or a Strike Variant like the IWSP or Noir (both released before the Destiny). Hell, the Destiny was the first SEED MG not piloted by Kira or a Strike Variant.
>>
>>14379365
It's a Strike variant. They print those out all the time.

MG Aile Stike -Oct 2003
MG Strike Rouge - Sept 2004
MG Strike IWSP - Oct 2006
MG Noir - March 2007
MG Strike E - Feb 2008
MG Launcher/Sword Strike - April 2008
MG Aile Strike Ver RM - May 2013
MG Strike Rouge Ootori - Sept 2013
MG Build Strike Full Package -Jan 2014.

Plus, Cagalli is a popular character. Took Lacus's place as Newtype's #1 Female Character of the 2000's, and what they did to her in Destiny is very unpopular.
>>
>>14379365
Ootori is hilarious because supposedly it was intended to be a web-exclusive but Bandai screwed up the scheduling or something and didn't have a MG that month. So they went fuck it and just promoted the Ootori.

This, incidentally, is why the kit is so reliant on stickers.
>>
>>14378774
>Implying Launcher needs to swim when Jesus can walk on water.
>>
>>14382728
Didn't he beat aquatic ZAFT suits underwater using the Strike, I can't recall if it was Launcher or Aile
>>
>>14382744
Kira wiped out a ZAFT aquatic squad piloting a bazooka-wielding Strike. IIRC, the commander of that unit was essentially the underwater version of Waltfeld, but with none of the personality.
>>
>>14376167
>see if they could turn Garbage into gold

They already knew the answer long before Seed was greenlit you stupid fuck.
>>
>>14378691
It still bugs me that Kira looks more mature in these shots than in Destiny.
>>
>>14372574
>bald Athrun
>>
File: 59827.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
59827.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
>>14382839
.Same thing Ryusei
(He look much older they he should be)

I guess it's just artiest drawing character age to look closer to their fan base age?
>>
File: RyuSWOLE.jpg (46 KB, 653x306) Image search: [Google]
RyuSWOLE.jpg
46 KB, 653x306
>>14384350

No that's just Ryusei
>>
File: gundam seed 00047.jpg (171 KB, 726x1400) Image search: [Google]
gundam seed 00047.jpg
171 KB, 726x1400
>>14382856
>bald Athrun
He was not bald, he just have big front head
>>
File: og-ryusei.jpg (153 KB, 1036x769) Image search: [Google]
og-ryusei.jpg
153 KB, 1036x769
>>14384374
>>
>>14384350
No, that's just OGIN's horrible artstyle. All the guys look the same except hair, and while we're at it all the girls look the same except hair and boob size, too.
>>
>>14372079
>trainwreck genre

That's not how those words work
>>
>>14384388
JUST
>>
>>14382744

It was neither. He went in packless with a bazooka, but had to resort to the good old stabby knives to win.
>>
>>14375436

To be fair Zule is fucking inconsistant as hell. He's a space emperor that's only attacking Earth because they ventured beyond their solar system when he asked them not to. Wait no he's an evil parasite thing possessing the real Zule, wait no he's the fucking Devil that rules the souls of the dead in the sun, wait no all his minions form into him.

What the hell. That's 3 different conflicting backstories for him.
>>
>>14384388
God, I'm having flashbacks to my last rewatch of the original Fafner again.

It's kind of amusing now to guess if you're getting "on model" Hirai or "melty puddle face" Hirai episode by episode

But Hirai really has shaped up with his consistency in the years that followed with MJP/Exodus.

Meanwhile Fukada has only continued to degenerate as a writer
>>
>>14384666
Cross Ange was better than Destiny and SEED
>>
>>14384388
Aside from Generic Guy and Athrun the character designs deteri... OH GOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO MU'S FACE
>>
>>14374989
Weasleys replacing the Gundam pilots would be amazing.
>>
>>14371810
Honest question: how high are you right now?
>>
>>14384388
Second row...
Original: >Good to see you Flay
HD: >WHY DID YOU PUNCH ME IN THE DICK?
>>
File: gundam seed 00045.png (173 KB, 825x600) Image search: [Google]
gundam seed 00045.png
173 KB, 825x600
>>14384627
>knives
It's funny how he defeated most name aces with Strike knife...
>>
>>14393041
Kira gets all the bitches.
>>
>>14378689

Pls no
>>
>>14373723

What about the big DDs?
>>
>>14385292

Why?
>>
File: 1309297289627.jpg (287 KB, 1157x1600) Image search: [Google]
1309297289627.jpg
287 KB, 1157x1600
>>14371810
>Honest question: how much influence did SEED have in shaping the way anime is currently made?
Not much, aside from showing that big budget anime using then-famous singers and VAs could move merchandise without resorting to ecchi. For Banrise though, it was the wrong merchandise moved; they sold TONS of character goods, but nowhere near as many Gunpla models. But they couldn't just kill it when it was bringing plenty of cash in other mediums, so they let it slowly die out. Not that it really ever did; the BD Remasters put it into back the top 10 for both SEED and Destiny, against series like Madoka, and sidestories still continue, along with an almost Origin-like remake of the story (SEED:Re). Freedom still sells like hot shit, and Kira is regularly bumped back into popularity every couple of NT polls.

Now as far as Gundam itself goes? Quite a bit.

The success of SEED in general showed that a retake of an older series could be successful while somewhat doing its own thing. So we got 00, this time taking on elements of Gundam Wing. While successful, it wasn't as successful as SEED was, although it sold more Gunpla than SEED, if I'm remembering the figures charts posted after Trailblazer correctly. However, 00 had its own issues where it went too far original and became "not Gundam trope enough", then they were forced to reel it back but it resulted in "too Gundam troped". Like SEED, 00 enjoyed some post-anime success in MSVs and sidestories fleshing out the universe further, though not to the same degree and detail of SEED.

Unicorn brought the series back to UC, and did well. No need to touch upon that.

Then there was a short period of nothing, so to push models out they got Gunpla Builders, promoting kitbashing and Gunpla modeling. That got some pretty nice success with two sidestories in addition to the main story, and would later be repeated with more budget and effort in Build Fighters.
>>
File: 1421182774764.jpg (492 KB, 721x1200) Image search: [Google]
1421182774764.jpg
492 KB, 721x1200
>>14399270
Now we come to the pile of shit that is AGE. Surely, if SEED could retell classic MSG and Zeta, a series retelling both AND ZZ too would not. Even if it was only squeezed into one 50 episode series. Of course, Banrise was trying to expand outwards, and wanted to capture the emerging tech-oriented kids of the time. So they thought a video game medium would be perfect, and their G-AGE concept of collect them all to build and kitbash digital MS came about. Of course, we know AGE failed spectacularly across every medium, although Banrise would reuse the G-AGE concept in their Gundam Breaker series, just without the microchips and registration device.

Now we come back to to the dilemma of how to push more Gunpla and get rid of old stock. So naturally, they take Gunpla Builders and expand on it. It works for the most part, and it saves Bandai some dough in only having to retool for the option parts and reusing existing runners and blueprints.

Around the same time, they retry their digital collect them all concept from AGE combined with the kitbash element of AGE's game, Gunpla Builders, and Build Fighters in the form of Gundam Breaker, and proves to be a success.

Now if another retelling of the original MSG failed, surely a short comedy series involving UC won't. Wrong. Gundam-san was an embarrassing failure.

So now, it's time to let the old man who started it all attempt his Magnum Opus after all these years, and we get Reconquista. It's successful, but ultimately doesn't sell too much, due to a lack of Gunpla variety and post-anime support to expand upon it.

Now that kitbashing is in and Gunpla is selling again thanks to GBF, surely a sequel will sell even more, like it did for SEED and 00. Then we get GBFT. It does move kits, even if the anime was ultimately crap.

So now Bandai needs a new series to move new stuff, or at least old stuff polished in a new form. Cue Origin.
>>
File: 1f4f9915862720_main.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1f4f9915862720_main.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>14399360
Now that Bandai has gotten the ball rolling again piggybacking off UC and moving old stock repackaged as new, it's time for another new timeline.

Since a second attempt to retell MSG failed, and they already retold Wing, it's time to try retelling Gundam X, which never was completed but had an interesting post-war setup. Except surely to avoid the failure of X, they'll throw in pretty boys that young male viewers can surely self-insert as, including another attempt at a cold MC like Setsuna and Heero. And to further save on Gunpla costs, they'll copy Koto's Frame Arms concept and just reuse the same core Gunpla frames for all their MS variants. Of course, that didn't quite work out.

So now, it's time for round 2. Will they pull it back and make it more Gundam trope-y, or will they continue to forge ahead with whatever half-baked original story they had?
>>
>>14399360
>>14399389

All this talk about how successful Gundam is nowadays due to SEED is what scares me about Namco Bandai owning Banpresto? Why, it's because of the former the latter had to do these for Super Robot Wars, which are:

1. Lynch the Huckebeins and alter Duraxyll"s design.

2. Overuse a certain Gundam show because it's all the rage. Hi SEED Destiny. Same thing if Gundam Unicorn will be used for the fourth time.
>>
File: og-elzam.jpg (134 KB, 990x669) Image search: [Google]
og-elzam.jpg
134 KB, 990x669
>>14399871
Technically, Seed story was ignored for ages, and Destiny just her for the mecha and not story.
They mostly used Kira, Shin and Athrun without Destiny storyline.

And last time they even cut Athrun from their game...
>>
>>14371810
It didn't, though it was one of the nails in the coffin of shows more than 1 cours long by showing how studios just can't handle long shows anymore.
>>
>>14371810
I guess it made Gundam more accessible to a younger generation. I like the CE but I wish SEED was written in much less of a stupid way and didn't throw character development out the window. They had some good characters too but alot of them just didn't make me want to care about them.
>>
>>14400502
It's telling how they treat it's story. They either ignore it for the most part, skip it, or they spend a lot of time fixing it (mostly addressing Kira's actions in some regard). The biggest example of a game playing Destiny straight (as well as Kira-wank) is DWG Reborn. where a big selling point was using suits/pilots from the original SEED.

I get the distinct impression a lot of mecha/Gundam otaku really, really don't like Destiny/Kira from these changes.
>>
>>14372769
Fujobait flops just as often as any other type of pandering. There are multiple shows that target the demographic which are flopping this very season while the stuff topping the preorders are shows for male otaku like rezero. There's nothing you can "always bet on".
>>
File: photo_004en.jpg (214 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
photo_004en.jpg
214 KB, 700x400
>>14399871
Its more of Bandai trying to repeat the success they had with SEED but try to move more Gunpla in addition to non-Gunpla goods. They almost had a hit with 00, including an expanded universe, but the lack of 00 Gunpla, especially Gundams, didn't help. Even SEED got obscure Gundams from sidestories made, such as the Librarian Gundams and the Stargazer Gundams.
>>
>>14401101
00's trans-am version gunplas probably didn't help
Did anyone really think people would buy the same kit as normal but painted entirely pink
>>
>>14399871
>1. Lynch the Huckebeins and alter Duraxyll"s design.

That was really inevitable once OG got as big as it did. They'd be ok with not-Gundams in games so long as their own Gundams were getting facetime too, but not when they stole the show on their own, and certainly not when they threatened Gunpla sales with Huckebein models.

>2. Overuse a certain Gundam show because it's all the rage. Hi SEED Destiny. Same thing if Gundam Unicorn will be used for the fourth time.

That's nothing new. They've always been overusing Gundam shows just out of obligation ever since SRW started. Before Seed it was Zeta and CCA they'd constantly toss in without care or plot relevance. Now it's Unicorn. And the next Gundam hit will so the same.
>>
File: 1426995197879.png (416 KB, 522x902) Image search: [Google]
1426995197879.png
416 KB, 522x902
>>14400810
Fixing it from their point of view be ignoring their characters traits.

Either Kamille or Shinji slap Kira in alpha 3 for his NTR which we know is impossible with their body skill + Kira black belt skill ( auto reaction to anyone who try to physically attack him in Seed)

Shin already suffer long enough with losing his family, first love, and soon his best friend since he can't live long because he was a clone.

Because of that he want to win war no matter what the cost as soon as possible.

You can save many people life in SRW games which change the ending like saving Euphemia and Shirley can change Suzaku and Lelouch action because they no longer suffer from losing them.
>>
>>14401419

>>Before Seed it was Zeta and CCA they'd constantly toss in without care or plot relevance. Now it's Unicorn. And the next Gundam hit will so the same.

But what about Late UC? Any reason Namco Bandai and Sunrise don't push for Banpresto that half of Universal Century then?

Anyways, I digressed from the topic. I have this question to ask: What would have happened if Fukuda did make Cosmic Era the "new generation Universal Century" as it was marketed to?
>>
>>14402706
>But what about Late UC? Any reason Namco Bandai and Sunrise don't push for Banpresto that half of Universal Century then?

Because nobody cares about late UC in Japan. It's almost hilariously unpopular compared to stuff with Zeon and even certain AUs. So there's no reason for them to try to push something that isn't a guaranteed selling point like Zeta, CCA, Seed or Unicorn.

Same reason they don't push stuff like X or Turn A.

>What would have happened if Fukuda did make Cosmic Era the "new generation Universal Century" as it was marketed to?

See what exactly is that even supposed to mean? Keep homaging UC instead of doing their own thing in Seed? Probably nothing, so long as Kira and Lacus kept doing stuff.

Not switch the heroes in Destiny and keeping it not-Zeta? Probably sales would be worse because the majority of the fanbase was a Seed holdover still only watching it for Kira and Lacus.

Keep on making stuff like UC did? That was the plan until Bandai shut them down after Destiny because of all the backscene issues and them not getting the Gunpla crowd.
>>
File: 1237843432061.jpg (698 KB, 1000x1423) Image search: [Google]
1237843432061.jpg
698 KB, 1000x1423
>>14402706
>What would have happened if Fukuda did make Cosmic Era the "new generation Universal Century" as it was marketed to?
SEED was supposed to be a brand new timeline that would make them money and endure the same way UC did, while also enticing viewers to follow Gundam back to UC.

With that said, it's hard to say what would have happened. It depends on whether or not Banrise tightened the reigns on Fukada and his wife to drop all the supposed in-fighting between the staff, or brought it some other writer to continue kind of like they did with Stargazer, but still focus on Kira and Lacus.

It's possible SEED could have continued with a 3rd series that kind of meshed elements of ZZ and Char's Counterattack into one, but with the Federation as the big bads this time rather than ZAFT (Destiny was mostly ZAFT being the bad guys while Logos was just a secondary bad guy).

It likely would have worked, assuming it continued to develop Kira's and Lacus' relationship while also devoting time to the new cast. Easiest way would have been something like Kira being a mentor/commander to the new crew while regularly being in touch with Lacus, and having Lacus herself do more than just play Empress, such as working her relationship with Kira. There were plenty enough KxL fans that just building on it would have sold it alone, and tossing in some Athrun x Cagalli interactions; maybe the two of them actually marrying and having a kid ahead of Kira and Lacus, would have also enticed the AxC fans too. Of course, assuming Banrise dealt with the staff in-fighting and forced them to get their shit straight and pander to the fans, rather than to the whimsies of the writer.

Of course, to help move Gunpla, another Freedom and Justice would be made, and some new suits for the new crew too. Of course, said new crew would probably have been written to warm up to Kira sooner or later, if only to asskiss the Kira fans into buying the MS of characters who Kira befriended in the end.
>>
>>14402955
Bandai would probably have ended up pulling the plug anyway. They want these shows to be accessible, and if they have to keep carting out Kira for it's audience to give a shit while not bringing in more fans there's no reason to keep making more.

Anyway, if anything I would guess if they clamped down on Fukuda the show would have focused more on Shinn. After all, he's the guy who was supposed to carry Destiny. He's the new MC who people who didn't watch SEED could follow without fear of continuity...and despite all this Destiny treats him like an afterthought while focusing on the old cast. I remember once reading that he was the hardest for Morosawa to write, and if I had to guess I would assume he was something thrust onto her by the producers.
>>
>>14403045
Oh I'm sure Bandai would have probably pulled the plug, at least, on a mainline series after a 3rd SEED series, assuming they were more assertive and willing to extend the bandwagon a bit more.

A 3rd SEED series would just end up being a ZZ + CCA type of thing to round it out, if not a ZZ series plus a CCA-like movie, with the only difference being Kira and Lacus living it out happily ever after.

Any other SEED stuff would just be kind of like what we have now, just in greater quantity; ie, the Astray sidestories, a retelling or two (we kind of get one with SEED:Re, and an Athrun side look with Destiny: The Edge), the MSVs, the games, and maybe an occasional short series or OVA-like series such as Stargazer.

Not much different from UC getting things like 08th MS Team, 0080, or 0083 and stuff like Thunderbolt or Origin really.

Same goes for Kira selling things the same way Amuro did. Shinn probably could have sold Destiny too, if he was written with a bit more competence. It's obvious that Morosawa was just copying Zeta with no attempt to vary things up a bit more and tell a similar but different tale, the way SEED was able to with MSG. She just copied some Zeta tropes and wrote around it.
>>
>>14403045
>if they have to keep carting out Kira for it's audience to give a shit while not bringing in more fans there's no reason to keep making more.

So when are Sunrise pulling the plug on Akito the Exlied?
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.