[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like this Trash ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 108x144) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5 KB, 108x144
Why do people like this Trash ?
>>
why did you make this shitty thread?
>>
>>14293227
Deep and complex psychological anime for intelligent and mature people such as myself.
>>
because you touch yourself at night.
>>
The mechs are cool and the rest is cheesy entertainment

Who doesn't like a world renowned terrorist being chased around school while wearing a butt hat?
>>
>>14293227
Why do people like this Trash?
>>
>>14293271
Because muh 80s and muh war drama
>>
Same reason why people buy clothes at the soup store
>>
>>14293227
It's fun
>People seriously think /a/ or /m/ like it for being smart instead of dumb entertainment
>>
>>14293227
People have trash tastes.
>>
>>14293271
Sexy MS Designs and interesting scenario.
>>
>>14293268
Not him but the only decent mecha from CG i saw was the Alexander. Granted i didn't watch a lot of episode.
>>
>>14293328

sure.
>>
Because Code Ment.
>>
>>14293271
Because its good. But please tell us about how kamille has autism.
>>
>>14293328
>interesting scenario
>comically evil, worse than Zeon, faction using Zeon MS and designs but the twist is they're the Earth Federation!!

It's trash. But please explain why Zeta's scenario is "interesting".
>>
>>14293409
>Going from 0079 where it's simply the good guys of the Earth federation versus the bad space nazis
>Corrupt Federation faction cracking down on space colonies to prevent further insurrection, MC is a spacenoid who hates the titans but also doesn't agree with Zeon ideals
>AEUG also tries to fight for the colonies but in a less radical way than the zabis
>Later the Neo Zeon remnants also show up and it becomes a big 3-way war in space
>All the while you also have Scirocco building his own faction within the titans
There's a lot different from 0079 and it makes for an interesting scenario. Granted, what counts as 'interesting' is subjective, but the same goes the other way. Anti-zetafags are getting obnoxious.
>>
File: woop woop.jpg (276 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
woop woop.jpg
276 KB, 1280x720
>>14293227
Because Lelouch. It's that simple.
>>
>>14293512
One could make the same type of argument for SEED. Doesn't make the show any less trash.
>>
>>14293712
>Doesn't make the show any less trash
In your opinion. You asked why someone would find it interesting, I gave you a reason. Seed's an entirely different matter and you can make a different thread about that. But if you're going to just whine about Zeta, at least do it in a thread dedicated to doing so. And don't worry, there's always at least one up at any time.
>>
>>14293512
How about we don't let them derail yet another thread with their asinine oversimplified opinions about a 30 year old show that defined an entire era in Japanese animation.
>>
>>14293512
>>Going from 0079 where it's simply the good guys of the Earth federation versus the bad space nazis
Yes, now we have the good guys of AEUG versus the bad space nazis of the Titans.

>Corrupt Federation faction cracking down on space colonies to prevent further insurrection
See above. They just needed excuses for the Titans to be as evil as the Zeon

>Later the Neo Zeon remnants also show up
It's not Neo Zeon, it was still Axis Zeon until Haman launched the war when she attacked Earth right after and earnestly attempted to revive the Zabi-style Zeon, but sure.

>and it becomes a big 3-way war in space
Until the Titans and Axis ally, but then they fight against each other but really they were allied the whole time? It ends up being ineffective and inconsequential contrived schlock.

>All the while you also have Scirocco building his own faction within the titans
And in the end, can you tell me what Scirocco's purpose was, or if he even accomplished anything of note? He was just another scheming villain with no actual plan.

>Anti-zetafags are getting obnoxious.
The pendulum swings, my friend. The more Zetashitters prop the show up as the pinnacle of Gundam, the more everyone else with taste will want to tear it down. Simple as that.
>>
>>14293727
>their asinine oversimplified opinions about a 30 year old show that defined an entire era in Japanese animation.
We're discussing Zeta here, not 0079.
>>
>>14293739
Perhaps 0079 got the ball rolling, but Zeta set a precedent for a whole decade. If 0079 was just a little less coherent it would be considered among the likes of countless other late-70's shows that only extreme otaku care to remember. Few people say Zeta is perfect, but if you're going to criticize it in the manner you've been doing then you better get to work on doing the same for every other Gundam series because many have equally retarded characters and factions. Literally fuck off and quit shitting up every thread you see.
>>
>>14293736
>Yes, now we have the good guys of AEUG...
I won't defend the Titan's complexity as if they're leagues better than Zeon. However their actions can be justified. Don't forget how many people died during the One Year War, of course the Federation is going to hold huge grudges against the space colonies and act like oppressors. The 'good guys are bad guys' twist is a common twist in media, but it was still novel in showing both sides of the war from different angles in comparison to 0079.

>Until the Titans and Axis ally, but then...
They weren't allied the whole time. Haman constantly switched allegiances to whoever suited her goals the best, making them an unpredictable element.

>And in the end, can you tell me what Scirocco's purpose was...
Scirocco was scheming, yes, but he was still a scheming guy working up the ranks to control the titans with his charisma and ambition. He stands in stark contrast to Kamille, making him a simple, but effective villain (subjective I know)
>>
>>14293761
>>14293739
>>14293736
>>14293727
>>14293718
>>14293792
Don't derail the thread, assholes. There's already a place for this right now.
>>14282645
>>
File: 1454125003584.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454125003584.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>14293227
Asshats are convinced it's an intelligent and well-written political drama with good pacing and action.

Everyone else who likes it just enjoys how over the top and stupid it is, like a really bad B-movie.
>>
>>14293400
Well there is that, but I legitimately enjoy the show itself too.
>>
>>14293804
No it's a really good b movie, a really bad b movie is like Radar Secret Service, something that's outright unwatchable.
>>
>>14293371
The Alexander is from Akito, which may as well be an entirely separate entity, you fucking numbskull.
>>
>>14293736
>Yes, now we have the good guys of AEUG versus the bad space nazis of the Titans.
The AEUG represents the colonists, the Titans represent the Earth. And the Titans are hardly Nazi-like.

>See above. They just needed excuses for the Titans to be as evil as the Zeon
So the bad guys were bad? Is that an actual jab at the quality of the show or is stating the obvious fun for you? Every bad faction in Gundam, and nearly mecha as a whole, does bad things. Nice catch there.

>Until the Titans and Axis ally, but then they fight against each other but really they were allied the whole time? It ends up being ineffective and inconsequential contrived schlock.
I guess you should pay attention more. Not to mention it builds up to the entire conflict in ZZ Gundam.

>And in the end, can you tell me what Scirocco's purpose was, or if he even accomplished anything of note? He was just another scheming villain with no actual plan.
He wanted to rule Earth by taking control of the Titans. He killed off multiple other Titans leaders to gain power. It was his army that was doing everything by the end. He was the final boss. Did you watch Zeta or do you just read the wiki and shitpost?

>The pendulum swings, my friend. The more Zetashitters prop the show up as the pinnacle of Gundam, the more everyone else with taste will want to tear it down. Simple as that.
Or perhaps contrarians will look at something popular that people enjoy and start attacking it, regardless of quality. You're hardly tearing it down with these ineffective points, buddy.
>>
>>14293817
No, what makes bad B-movies so enjoyable is because they're shitty, which is what makes it captivating. That's the nature of so-bad-it's-good. That's the nature of Code Geass.

A good B-movie is like Evil Dead.
>>
>>14293904

But it's not so-bad-it's-good. I hate this fucking mindset, it's like enjoying something ironically, like you're afraid of saying you just enjoy a show for what it is and have to make excuses like "oh but I only like it because it's so bad".

You like something or you don't. It's ok to like bad things.
>>
File: 1458438161177.jpg (66 KB, 300x895) Image search: [Google]
1458438161177.jpg
66 KB, 300x895
>>14293921
That's exactly what I'm saying. 'So-bad-it's-good' is just the colloquial way of saying, "I enjoy it for being so bad." It's not ironic at all, it's just cringey, which is amusing to many people. It's when animators and writers and actors are so incompetent but take themselves so seriously it becomes a joy to make fun of. That's why garbage like The Room are so notorious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhxfew79I0
>>
>>14293981
>It's when animators and writers and actors are so incompetent but take themselves so seriously it becomes a joy to make fun of.

But Geass isn't incompetent. Being extremely melodramatic on purpose may not be for everyone, but it's not a sign of incompetence.
>>
File: 1393053778537.jpg (17 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1393053778537.jpg
17 KB, 500x281
>>14293983
That's often true. When you get to nonsense like the impossible happy ending, the ADHD jump cuts, the retarded chess metaphors, the pretentious spiels about ideals where several characters are having the same debate in different places at once, and Lelouch's tactical 'genius', it's much less so.
>>
>>14294001

I genuinely never notice any of these things when I watch, or any show for that matter. I just watch the show,
>>
>>14294006
Except for the happy ending*. I should note I noticed that in hindsight after it was all over.
>>
>>14294006
>>14294008
You might want to watch it again. In numerous occasions, the scene randomly changes to something as some weak attempt at foreshadowing, such as the Sword of Akasha, the Geass cult, etc. Chess figures are frequently thrown around as some symbol of character roles (with outfits such as Zero or CC's BK getup being explicitly designed after chess pieces) used to express characters that whole match with Schneizel (in which the rules were broken but nobody cared), and then at the end of R2, Schneizel and Lelouch treated the entire battle like a Chess game. It certainly doesn't help that when chess boards are actually seen, they often have completely random arrangements, some of which make no sense whatsoever. The shitty debate happened at the end of R2 and at least once in R1, if I recall correctly. Then there's the whole pedo thing that everyone just sort of ignores.

Lelouch's only strategy was using the environment, which is basic military tactics 101. With all the times people fall for that single technique, Sun Tzu would be rolling over in his grave. Overall, there were only one or two situations where that wouldn't have been predictable. Then the one time someone actually uses his own trick against him, everything blows up in his face and he's left totally dumbfounded. Because everyone is too stupid to not fall for all of this, the writers frequently rely on asspulls and random bullshit to screw over Lelouch's plans so he can sperg out only to make a full recovery 20 minutes later. In fact, shit randomly happening to keep the plot rolling is pretty common. The Euphinator incident certainly comes to mind, but then there's also stuff like V.V.'s sudden appearance or the Mao tedium. Unkillable characters like him are a trend that's frankly kind of hilariously excessive in the show.

There's probably more that doesn't come to mind. I last watched the show years ago.
>>
>>14294076

No I mean I genuinely don't things like symbolism and theming. My brain is wired to be extremely literal-minded, it can only read what you see on the surface and takes it for what it is.

It's why I didn't understand why Paths of Glory is an anti-war movie when I was told that.
>>
>>14294086
don't notice*
>>
Because it's pretty good and not much more trashy than the average anime. Just crazier at times.
>>
>>14293804
Eh, by that same token half of Tomino's output is made out of really bad B-movies.
>>
>>14293904
Except Code Geass is so-crazy-it's-good but also plain good. The crazy parts are entertaining, sure, but they're not all "bad" or "shitty" to begin with. The whole presentation highlights the artificiality and over-the-top nature of the production, starting with the cat chase and so on. It's not trying to be subtle and deep with no place for silly antics, or actors who don't know how they sound.
>>
>>14293981
Then, by default, something where the animators, writers and actors aren't taking themselves too seriously and are at least reasonably aware of the amusement value of their own actions cannot be described as "so-bad" in the first place. Nobody making The Room was aware of its terrible nature, so it was entirely accidental and there's not much good to be found even in the less funny parts. Quite a bit different from this case.
>>
>>14294001
That seems cynical to the point of blindness. Lelouch's supposed to be a trickster. There's nothing wrong about him coming up with outrageous stunts. And what's exactly so "impossibly happy" about the ending? If anything, anime is no stranger to happy endings, but this one was bittersweet rather than truly happy. Also, the chess was simply a motif. Several individuals characters can be considered pretentious, but that doesn't mean the show is being pretentious (especially because it doesn't focus on that). Having a similar debate in different locations is a very theatrical move, rather than anything bad or flawed. Same with the cuts, which aren't all that ADHD either.
>>
>>14294001
My personal favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-PHp_X10o

This is the moment where I utterly gave up, the writers obviously did so as well long before.
>>
>>14294076
It certainly sounds like you don't personally like those things, but that doesn't mean they are inherently wrong (nor are they unique to Code Geass for the most part).

Several of those small scenes were both valid and necessary foreshadowing. If you removed them, that would a mistake rather than an improvement. The presence of chess elements employed for purely stylistic purposes doesn't mean the entire show needed to treat everything about chess with respect. Quite the opposite. It's just a superficial design choice used for very simple purposes. It's not meant to be about correctly playing chess in a realist manner. There's little in the show that could be considered even remotely "pedo" by modern anime standards, so it's already easy to ignore.

Many of Lelouch's strategies do tend to involve the terrain or environmental factors, but they're predominantly unorthodox moves that regular military forces aren't trained to deal with. It's not the same "technique" either. Only when he collapsed part of the settlement in early R2 was Lelouch repeating the same exact tactic again, and even then it was on a smaller scale. They point out the settlement as a whole was reinforced in order to prevent it from collapsing, which leads to Lelouch using the trains to cause a massive blackout instead. He hadn't done anything like that before, so your claim is exaggerated. Sure, there is some convenient stupidity among his enemies, but that is not unusual for anime, including the mecha genre. I'd also say you are being overly dismissive of the difficulties Lelouch faced, since several of them had consequences he couldn't entirely overcome. Honestly, with that overly cynical frame of mind, I can't imagine how you can watch any anime without collapsing into a ball of rage.

I found Mao's arc amusing, so tedium is hardly an universal reaction. He does die for real in the end, though so I don't know why you're complaining about that.
>>
>>14294086
He's not particularly caring about symbolism or theming either. Just pointing out that he doesn't like them in this show, for whatever reason, so don't fret if you disagree with his views.
>>
>>14294272
How is that not being cheesy on purpose though? They even had him snap his fingers while pulling that off, like a James Bond villain.
If that's where they were going for, which I think is rather obvious, it's not a matter of the writers giving up. The show is full of silly bits like that.
>>
>>14294289
This is beyond cheesy, this is plain retarded. The gun is shooting straight in Schneizel direction. Remember AZ stupid handcuff removal? This is worse.
>>
>>14294193
Actually, most of the actors knew it was shit. Just not Tommy
>>
>>14293921
>It's ok to like bad things

Like Getter Robo, for example
>>
>>14294297

Nah, it's not more retarded than the Bikini assassins in Victory Gundam.
>>
>>14294175

And in the case of Dunbine, lasts WAY too long. Seriously, once they go to earth, the show just lasts like 8 episodes longer than it should.
>>
>>14294297
I didn't feel that, because AZ presented itself as a serious challenger to Gundam and its silly parts were entirely out of place.
>>
>>14294325
You know, that's why I can't really get worked up over most of this stuff. Tomino already proved you can make all kinds of robot anime with weird, random and crazy stuff.
>>
>>14294309

My point is, own up to what you like. "Guilty pleasures" are for people ashamed of their tastes. Embrace it I say, for good or bad. Life is too short to care what others think of your tastes.
>>
>>14294305
They knew it was a shitty job, but they weren't particularly enjoying it or thinking about how the audience would react
>>
Because it's akin to watching a musical. You're not supposed to be straight-faced all or even most of the time. Just take it in as part of the experience and have a good time.
>>
>>14294183
Exactly. I would assume what led to Code Geass's relative success was the fact that it managed to at least not take itself seriously at times and in certain places, so the melodrama was honest and entertaining. Then there's of course the mood whiplash when it starts to treat itself like a proper political drama.

>>14294193
>Nobody making The Room was aware of its terrible nature
Tommy Wiseau is just an emperor with no clothes.
>Quite a bit different from this case.
It is half the time. The other half, not so much.

>>14294214
>Lelouch's supposed to be a trickster. There's nothing wrong about him coming up with outrageous stunts.
There's nothing outrageous about shooting the ground to make it fall or destroying a bubble plant. There's nothing extraordinary about draining a lake for an ambush. There's nothing extraordinary about hiding from bombardments in a cave.

Stuff like timing a video of yourself holding a conversation to distract and sneak up on them (although that was at least marginally justified in Mao's case) or having such perfect timing when stopping a nuke that it fit within a millisecond or whatever is something that there is currently a series specifically making fun of because it's that stupid.

>And what's exactly so "impossibly happy" about the ending?
Lelouch's entire plan revolved around uniting all the world's hate on him and then getting killed to kill the arbitrary concept of war or whatever the fuck. It goes against basic human nature to not disagree. There's going to be greed, corruption, and conflict by the simple fact that people have conflicting interests. It certainly doesn't help that the three biggest powers in the world are helmed by teenage girls.

cont.
>>
>>14294350
it's not necessarily some sort of evasion to admit something you like is dumb. it's natural to like some dumb stuff
>>
>>14294332
>I didn't feel that
You don't think much either.
>>
There's something I hate about the art style. it makes my eyes bleed
>>
>>14294309
You are really dedicated.
>>
>>14294214
>but this one was bittersweet rather than truly happy
No, it was pretty clearly going for happy. The only person who died in the end was Lelouch, which was his wish. Everyone else got what they wanted aside from Rivalz, who is useless to the story, and Shirley, who died 10 episodes earlier. It was gilded saccharine.

>the chess was simply a motif
It was a motif, but it was also a theme. The series took it seriously and applied it to the plot, failing to do so correctly.

>Several individuals characters can be considered pretentious, but that doesn't mean the show is being pretentious
>Having a similar debate in different locations is a very theatrical move, rather than anything bad or flawed
>similar
They were literally responding to people they aren't talking to word for word and picking up after sentences by people they couldn't possibly hear.

>Same with the cuts, which aren't all that ADHD either
They randomly go to different places for no reason in the middle of the scene as an attempt at foreshadowing something that didn't need foreshadowing. That's pretty much what ADHD means.

>>14294274
>It certainly sounds like you don't personally like those things, but that doesn't mean they are inherently wrong (nor are they unique to Code Geass for the most part).
I don't care what series does this, it's hypocritical and inconsistent.

>Several of those small scenes were both valid and necessary foreshadowing. If you removed them, that would a mistake rather than an improvement
Literally all of them except for V.V. were revealed later on with both better timing and prior to their relevance.

cont.
>>
>>14294398
But see, your previous post was saying that Lelouch's plans being over-the-top is a sign of incompetence. Which is nonsense to me, since I think they're meant to be entertaining, not smart. They're as fun and as impossible as Joseph's asspulls in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. You can't exactly pretend that Code Geass would remain melodramatic and knowingly ridiculous if they were to suddenly make every plan the smartest thing in the world for real. That would change the whole feel of the project.
>>
>>14294274
>The presence of chess elements employed for purely stylistic purposes doesn't mean the entire show needed to treat everything about chess with respect
I would at least expect to see chess board arrangements that are logically possible when two supposed masters are fighting. It's a pointless contrivance otherwise.

>There's little in the show that could be considered even remotely "pedo" by modern anime standards, so it's already easy to ignore.
>Xingke!
>Tiangzi!
kek

>but they're predominantly unorthodox moves that regular military forces aren't trained to deal with
See part 1.

>Sure, there is some convenient stupidity among his enemies, but that is not unusual for anime, including the mecha genre
I don't care about what series or genre does this. It's stupid and hypocritical when they try and depict this part as serious.

>I'd also say you are being overly dismissive of the difficulties Lelouch faced, since several of them had consequences he couldn't entirely overcome
>Randomly saying one really convenient sentence at the same time as your Geass conveniently activates itself
>Completely ignoring a nuke threat

>I found Mao's arc amusing, so tedium is hardly an universal reaction
It wasn't that it wasn't amusing, it's that it had no bearing on the plot aside from Shirley's eventual death and shitty foreshadowing for Lelouch's Geass freaking out.

>He does die for real in the end, though so I don't know why you're complaining about that.
>Suzaku, Nunnally, Orange, Cornelia, etc.

>>14294279
>>14294086
I rarely addressed those things. I mostly just pointed out that the plot and characters are retarded whenever they try to take themselves seriously. That's plain logic.
Altogether, I noticed a trend of acknowledging the series' problems but then trying to downplay or rationalize it with words like 'some' or 'many...but' and making the excuse that it's common in other anime so it's okay to suck, which is literally just low standards and nothing more.
>>
>>14294420
That's often true. A few of his plans, such as collapsing Tokyo, making the landslide, and that trick when meeting that old guy used elements that his opponents couldn't have predicted, and they were suitably extreme, too. A couple of his ambushes earlier on were also fairly unpredictable. Pretty much every trick he used in the heat of battle was barebones though, and everyone collectively treated it like a genius trick that couldn't ever be anticipated.

Code MENT manages to be good by actually makes everyone a total retard, eliminating these sorts of contradictions while still maintaining the series' character, so it's very useful as an example to compare the main series to.
>>
>>14294400

It is to use the phrase "guilty pleasure" those, because it implicitly says you feel bad for liking it. Like I said, own your tastes, for good or bad.
>>
>>14294408
>The only person who died in the end was Lelouch, which was his wish.
No it's the other way around. Lelouch wanted to live, but he had to die, while Suzaku wanted to die for everything he had die, but was forced to live as Zero.
>>
>>14294398
They were only "shooting the ground" in the second episode, so that's not the norm. Most of the time, his tactics did involve something more unusual, like collapsing all of the Tokyo settlement or causing a huge landslide. Or making everyone dress up as Zero. The part about draining the lake wasn't too impressive, but the part about the bubbles was something else. "Hiding from bombardments in a cave" wasn't even presented as the key part of the plan, so that's besides the point.

Timing the video so accurately is impossible in real life, true enough, but that's perfectly fine in this type of show. Which isn't supposed to be realistic. They never pretended that there was a high standard of plausibility comparable to a documentary. Evidently none of the people working on the show are pretending that real nukes can be stopped in that manner, but they had already established that Suzaku has impossible skills as both a pilot and as a soldier. You can certainly find that amusing, but there's no need to point out that it's silly, because the show isn't hiding it. Nobody working on the production will tell you "yes, people like Suzaku exist and nukes can be stopped like this" with a straight face.

All you've said is basically that the ending of Code Geass wouldn't work in real life. Sure, but it doesn't need to do so. Also, he didn't "kill" the concept of war. He simply made himself into a great scapegoat and that would allow people to put the blame on him, while they would be more likely to negotiate through diplomacy rather than world wars.

Human nature can be interpreted in both optimistic and pessimistic ways and the show, like most of fiction, decided to be positive about it. However, Lelouch himself says -and the epilogue confirms- that human struggles will continue. He simply thinks the world will be better, rather than worse, for it.

It's not a permanent peace, even in-universe, but I'd say the show could have easily claimed so too.
>>
>>14294430
>Altogether, I noticed a trend of acknowledging the series' problems but then trying to downplay or rationalize it with words like 'some' or 'many...but' and making the excuse that it's common in other anime so it's okay to suck, which is literally just low standards and nothing more.

No, I just don't see the things you saw are flaws, as flaws.
>>
>yfw Code Ment has permanently ruined/improved Suzaku for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NfwpWseCco
>>
>>14293227
>b-because it was entertaining and fabulous!
>y-you just don't g-get it OP!
>>
File: cc cat.jpg (94 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
cc cat.jpg
94 KB, 600x840
>>14294511

It was entertaining, it's what I like in anime

>over the top unrealistic characters
>ridiculous plots
>neat mech designs
>waifus
>rapid switching between treating things as THE GREATEST tragedy and everyone acting like they're in "just in planned" mode against each other
>mechs where no one, or at least only very few can fly (sadly this changed in part 2, but the energy wings were pretty sweet).

We live such pitifully short lives to not spend our time doing only what we enjoy.
>>
>>14294430
Why should you? It's not the first time that anime has thrown accuracy to the wind when dealing with an actual sports or game. They spent very little time showing any chess games being played, so that was clearly not the priority for anyone involved.

Dude, Xingkei and the Empress are positively vanilla, when compared to things like the Monogatari series and Oreimo.

There's nothing especially "serious" about overcoming an enemy by taking advantage of his convenient incompetence. All types of anime do that, so taking such an Inquisitorial attitude towards it seems to be tryhard.

I was referring to the consequences of his defeats, whether temporary or permanent, which is different from what you've pointed out now.

But okay, why should Lelouch prioritize the "nuke threat" when he has no real evidence of the weapon's existence? Or when the person telling him about this was apparently quite untrustworthy? Code Geass might be many things, but you're expecting Lelouch to be a completely emotionless and perfect person all of a sudden?

Perhaps, but that still indicates the Mao arc served a purpose, despite not being about the main plot per se.

Suzaku's inability to die because a plot point. Nunnally's survival had a valid (if brief) explanation. Orange was turned into a cyborg and was never even remotely hinted to be dead. I'll give you the Cornelia one though.
>>
>>14294448
Here's a question: do you think all of the people making Code MENT dislike the series and are only making fun of it because they think everything funny about it is bad?
>>
>>14294502
It certainly makes Suzaku funnier. But he was already both funny enough yet surprisingly interesting in the show itself, if you can get past his initially annoying behavior.
>>
>>14294532

Not him but it's obvious from None Piece that Purpleeyes does not had a sound mind. He's not doing it for the sake of "it makes sense this way", he does it because "it's funnier this way."
>>
>>14294546
Sure, but I don't get the feeling he dislikes the material, in what little I've seen him talk about the show itself, in addition to the ways he finds to make it more random and funny.
>>
>>14294556

I know, I'm just saying. He's not trying to make it "better" or basically use it as a demo reel for Funi like TFS (which is funny because one of them already has voiced a major villain in the One Piece dub). He's just doing it because he genuinely likes lolsorandum humor and believes in the MST3K belief that if you just throw out enough jokes rapid fire, enough will stick.
>>
>>14294560
>which is funny because one of them already has voiced a major villain in the One Piece dub
Wait, seriously?
>>
>>14294476
>Lelouch wanted to live, but he had to die
No one makes that much of a martyr out of himself and doesn't want to die. He chose to let Suzaku kill him to avenge Euphie. After Shirley and everything else, it's up to interpretation as far as I can tell.

>while Suzaku wanted to die for everything he had die, but was forced to live as Zero.
I admit I completely forgot.

>>14294483
>They were only "shooting the ground" in the second episode, so that's not the norm.
This entire time I've been listing particular examples, yes. He also only drained a river once. The point is that these things are common.

>Most of the time, his tactics did involve something more unusual, like collapsing all of the Tokyo settlement or causing a huge landslide
I already mentioned those two cases. They are exceptions in that they couldn't be predicted.

>Or making everyone dress up as Zero
I did forget about this as well.

>The part about draining the lake wasn't too impressive, but the part about the bubbles was something else
It was no different whatsoever from blowing up an oil tanker. If you were a submarine commander, would you start a skirmish next to an oil tanker? Being bubbles instead of fire and combustion is arbitrary and meaningless. It was funny though.

>"Hiding from bombardments in a cave" wasn't even presented as the key part of the plan, so that's besides the point.
>What are tactics

>Timing the video so accurately is impossible in real life, true enough, but that's perfectly fine in this type of show
It worked with Mao because there was a degree of human error. Schneizel crossed the line.

>they had already established that Suzaku has impossible skills as both a pilot and as a soldier
The timing alongside Lelouch they established was too small. They made a point of it being impossible for humans.

cont.
>>
File: Fafner2.jpg (82 KB, 640x1076) Image search: [Google]
Fafner2.jpg
82 KB, 640x1076
Why do people like this trash?
>>
>>14294526
>neat mech designs

Regardless of the rest of your post, I'd curious how you can say this when R2 in particular crapped on the mechs by giving everything flight.
>>
>>14294483
>while they would be more likely to negotiate through diplomacy rather than world wars
Everyone is awfully happy about the impending Cold War, huh.

>>14294486
That is literally just rationalizing low standards. That's both at the same time.

>>14294527
1. When it acts like it is accurate, doing so is hypocritical and inconsistent.

2. That just gives all the more reason why they couldn't just use Google to find a winning move made in a major tournament.

3. That's correct and that's the problem. The series treats it as serious and ignores the incompetence in every situation aside from Clovis' total jobbing.

>All types of anime do that, so taking such an Inquisitorial attitude towards it seems to be tryhard.
>4. everyone's doing it, man!

5. Sorry for that misunderstanding. Regardless, when he turns into an emotional wreck one episode, is recovered the next one, and several episodes later does the same thing and resorts to drugs because his sister is the president is ridiculous.

6. This is marginally true. He completely threw caution to the wind, though. I'm at least expecting him to be less of a bipolar.

>Suzaku's inability to die because a plot point
>his inability to explode when he explodes became a plot point

>Nunnally's survival had a valid (if brief) explanation
>asinine handwaves are okay guys, it's not like this is worse than the Lacus Clyne double or anything

>Orange was turned into a cyborg and was never even remotely hinted to be dead
>getting microwaved and blowing up
>later sinking to the bottom of the ocean, a level of pressure that would have crushed his mecha as well as him in it

>>14294532
I've already said I don't think either of those things, and I highly doubt Purpleeyes does either. I don't see why it doesn't make the parody more effective though.
>>
>>14294571

Chris Guerrero, aka General Ivan, is the english voice of Gekko Moriah.
>>
>>14294614

Well if you notice, I did say that I didn't like how they did that. But that doesn't really have to do with the designs because outside of a few mechs, it's just a backpack.

>>14294616
>That is literally just rationalizing low standards.

I don't rationalize shit because I don't give a FUCK what you think about my standards. I like what I like, and if I like it then that's good enough for me, and my opinion is the only one I listen to.
>>
File: ub1smht.jpg (43 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
ub1smht.jpg
43 KB, 400x350
ITT along with "stop disliking what I like!"
>>
>>14294637
relax sparky
>>
>>14294616
Cold War would be better than another World War. It's not like there's a lot of an incentive for a major conflict, at least not in the short term, which is why people can be happy for a few months or years.
>>
>>14294598
Mao was predictable in his crazy obsession with C.C. and Schneizel was predictable in his opposition to Lelouch's plan and his lack of true ambition, after Lelouch had already realized that's how his mind worked.
>>
>>14294651

No, I'm sick of people always going "you're just rationalizing" or shit like that. I don't think about any of that shit, I don't care about any higher pondering of shows. I just watch what I like and don't watch what I don't like.
>>
>>14294616
If it "acted like it's accurate" we would have seen a full chess game right at the start. Instead, the first episode basically has Lelouch win offscreen. It wasn't what the show was interested in portraying.

They actually do have a few other examples of commanders being called out on their stupidity, like Calares the Viceroy and that airship guy during the early R2 battle in the sky.

It does seem like you have incredibly high standards, to the point I can't imagine how you can watch almost any popular mecha anime these days. Or maybe you don't watch much?

The drugs were an irrational move, but motivated by more than her position. She rejected him one episode before and still wanted to follow Euphemia's footsteps, even preferring Suzaku's help to Zero's. Given how much he claimed to be doing all of this for his sister, it was a shock that his world would be turned outside down so quickly.

What's asinine about a decoy shuttle that actually was present in the original episode and matches the timing of her escape?

Orange was shown ejecting immediately after Guren's radiation wave attack him. He never blew up. Only his robot did, but his ejection seat was flying through the air immediately. Thus nobody could possibly think he died unless they blinked away from the screen for half a minute.
>>
>>14294637
>I don't rationalize shit because I don't give a FUCK what you think about my standards. I like what I like, and if I like it then that's good enough for me, and my opinion is the only one I listen to.
>I'm an ignorant asshole! Why would I care about reason? I'm right about everything!
Research skepticism, anon.

> I like what I like, and if I like it then that's good enough for me
This is completely okay. After all, I really like Code Geass too. What's not okay is this:
>>Altogether, I noticed a trend of acknowledging the series' problems but then trying to downplay or rationalize it with words like 'some' or 'many...but' and making the excuse that it's common in other anime so it's okay to suck, which is literally just low standards and nothing more.
>No, I just don't see the things you saw are flaws, as flaws.
That's a textbook example of what lower standards are.
>I don't have low standards, I just have low standards
You're also taking this awfully personally for something that was addressed towards everyone, although if that's a misunderstanding, I'll apologize for the bizarrely missing line skips.

I'll say this again: Tommy Wiseau is an emperor with no clothes. Code Geass is an emperor who is half naked. Unfortunately, because he is half naked instead of completely naked, people have a habit of mistaking him as fully clothed.

>>14294676
This makes a lot more sense and makes me more tolerant towards the ending. It could've been much clearer if that's what it was going for, though.

>>14294687
When I said human error, I meant Lelouch's error. The one with Mao was awkward and involved him basically funneling Mao with vagueries and C.C. In Schneizel's case, he effectively debated the subject as if he was there.

>>14294697
There's nothing to think about.
ra·tion·al·ize
1. attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.
>>
>>14294717
>If it "acted like it's accurate" we would have seen a full chess game right at the start. Instead, the first episode basically has Lelouch win offscreen. It wasn't what the show was interested in portraying.
It takes about 10 seconds to Google a winning move in a national tournament.

>They actually do have a few other examples of commanders being called out on their stupidity, like Calares the Viceroy and that airship guy during the early R2 battle in the sky.
Those were jobbers just like Clovis before them. There's still people's inability to comprehend water.

>What's asinine about a decoy shuttle that actually was present in the original episode and matches the timing of her escape?
Handwaves. Again, that's worse than decoy Lacus in it's absurdity. The way the scene was directed illustrates that if they weren't caught in the explosion, they were close enough to be caught by the immense wind.

>Orange was shown ejecting immediately after Guren's radiation wave attack him. He never blew up. Only his robot did, but his ejection seat was flying through the air immediately. Thus nobody could possibly think he died unless they blinked away from the screen for half a minute.
They later showed him limping across a street, and having the scientists stumble across him was suitable. Surviving those circumstances is the absurd part.
>>
Forgot to point something out earlier.

>>14294527
>Dude, Xingkei and the Empress are positively vanilla, when compared to things like the Monogatari series and Oreimo.
He is 24. She is 12. That's pretty pedo.
>>
>>14294723
>That's a textbook example of what lower standards are.

Why do you care about standards? Why does anyone? What do you hope to gain from it? I certainly don't gain anything, I just want to love the things I love and not get shat on for it.

>You're also taking this awfully personally for something that was addressed towards everyone, although if that's a misunderstanding, I'll apologize for the bizarrely missing line skips.

Of course I'm taking it personally. You're insulting something I like, and when I revolve everything around my hobbies, you're insulting me by proxy, and I have legitimate autism that makes me extremely defensive of anything I enjoy.
>>
>>14294736
>It takes about 10 seconds to Google a winning move in a national tournament.

Speaking of, Guilty Crown was at least pretentious enough to go and reference a Fischer-Petrosian boardstate.

Maybe someone had in mind to one-up Geass's chess metaphor with actual chess fanservice.
>>
>>14294736
The storyboarding of the episode gave me the opposite impression. Sayoko got on the shuttle with Nunnally and departed without an escort as to not call attention (as per Schneizel's orders from earlier in the ep).

Separately, Rolo caught up with the fake shuttle with that annoying secretary woman, which did have a KMF escort, thus he saw it get engulfed by the explosion and belied Nunnally died.

They didn't depart at the same time and we never had any real bird's eye look at the field of the explosion with either of the two shuttles in their relative positions, since the idea was to make the audience believe there was only one ship instead of two. Thus there's enough wiggle room for her to have survived.

>Surviving those circumstances is the absurd part.

Less absurd than a good cop's lifeless body being turned into Robocop, IMO
>>
>>14294750
In theory, but the show didn't have anything comparable to the toothbrush scene in terms of loli innuendo. Xingke kept it chaste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfeXa8DexVY
>>
>>14294750
>He is 24. She is 12. That's pretty pedo.
That's pretty normal for Chinese royalty standards.
>>
>>14294768
Which didn't save Guilty Crown from being worse than Code Geass in every category except perhaps animation quality and accurately ripping off a chess game.
>>
>>14294833
Found the retard.
>>
>>14293227
I remember enjoying it, that was probably the first anime I've streamed over the internet though so its pretty much "babbies first anime" for me (not counting the stuff I watched on TV)
>>
>>14294805
In hindsight, that makes more sense. However, they then just bizarrely disappear without a trace after the explosion.
>The way the scene was directed illustrates that if they weren't caught in the explosion, they were close enough to be caught by the immense wind.

>>14294754
>Why do you care about standards? Why does anyone? What do you hope to gain from it?
Academia.

>I like what I like, and if I like it then that's good enough for me, and my opinion is the only one I listen to.
>I just want to love the things I love and not get shat on for it.
>>
>>14294932
>Academia.

It's 4chan. We're just here to have fun and talk about the things we like.
>>
>>14294932
Hey, my brain contradicts itself enough on a daily basis to make my life hard. I don't need other people pointing it out.
>>
>>14294086
Are you autistic?
>>
>>14294939
Well sure, we're not professional scholars. That sort of pursuit can be a fun hobby though.
>>
>>14294959

Yes.
>>
>overrated
>ledouche
>not one likeable character
>code gayass
>complete trainwreck
>anime a mistake
>>
>>14294967

I think it's a waste of time by people who care too much about the smell of their own shit. All this crap about higher meaning when in the end, you die anyway. You might as well just enjoy yourself and indulge in your desires before you go.
>>
>>14294991
Think of it as step one by the guys in a meth lab trying to come up with the formula to get an even bigger high, if that helps.

More importantly, we're still alive now and we'll probably still be alive for a long time. The life expectancy of humans is slowly growing, and we're inches away from having the technology to make that near infinite. Artificial muscles already exist. Artificial nerves already exist. Artificial skin already exists. Artificial noses and tongues already exist. The fact of the matter is that one person is completely worthless outside of how they affect their surroundings. Indulgence is just the opposite of that, because the consequences of one's actions echo in the present and in the future. Legacies are the reason why people have ambition: because value comes from outside, not inside. The problem with academia isn't that they don't accomplish anything, it's more that they rarely communicate with the outside world. Unfortunately, 4chan can be very similar in that regard. Most communities can be. Communication is what gives things consequence.

At the end of the day, the important part is the one with consequence, so would you rather be a lion or a flea? The future was yesterday, so it's time to wake up and get ahead.
>>
>>14293234
/thread
>>
>>14295075

I can't bring myself to care about the overall consequence of my life when it'll only be a thing when I'm not alive to be affected by it.

Just enjoy what time you have because it sure goes by quick, that's my motto.
>>
>2016
>Not buying your clothes at the soup store
>>
>>14295155
If you ask me, that's just caring too much about the smell of your own shit. Narcissism at the least. The important thing to recognize is how worthless a person is to understand how valuable a world is. However, a person has far more potential than a world could specifically because one person is like a domino, and that one domino falling could cause many more to do the same, and as I said, those consequences affect the present as well. There have been plenty of legends in their own time throughout history. For every Van Gogh, there's a Picasso, and for every Picasso, there's a Van Gogh. Van Gogh lived for less than 40 years because he commited suicide and didn't become important until after. Picasso kept going until he was over 90 and went down as one of the greatest artists in the world, if not the greatest in history, all within his lifetime. Here's the part that hits the hardest though: if Van Gogh had kept going for as long as Picasso did, he would've easily been a legend in his own time as well. Within 50 years of his death, his art was incredibly sought after, found in esteemed galleries.

90 must seem like an oddly long lifetime, especially back then, but if someone takes care of themselves, it's not, especially in the modern world. In Japan, that's somewhat normal, and with the growing capabilities of technology, age is becoming more and more meaningless to a person and time can go on longer and longer. As for today, things like short and long are arbitrary, so whichever it is doesn't matter until tomorrow. The part that matters is to be prepared for that tomorrow so you can ensure there's a tomorrow after that and a tomorrow after that. With modern technology, tomorrows can be neverending for the person who stands up to grasp it.
>>
File: tumblr_mjllxlxuVo1s8o334o1_1280.jpg (373 KB, 800x647) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjllxlxuVo1s8o334o1_1280.jpg
373 KB, 800x647
Wow this thread got REAL pretentious REAL fast
>>
File: berlioz.png (3 MB, 1399x1000) Image search: [Google]
berlioz.png
3 MB, 1399x1000
>>14295731
That's generally what happens when someone suddenly brings their emotional problems to 4chan.

Being a Code Geass thread doesn't help.
>>
>>14295255

You keep saying this shit as if it's going to resonate some desire for me to be creative or great, and I just say why bother, I'm going to die anyway
>>
>>14295163
WHY ARE YOU BUYING CLOTHES AT THE SOUP STORE
>>
>>14295896
The fact that you're bothering to seek entertainment with the time you have for gratification proves that you find some value in it. Ultimately, there's a difference between trying to be creative and great and just trying to leave something behind, even if it's just a little nudge. Ignorantly consuming media without thought just drags people back, so even if that's all they do, if they don't take a second to step back and think about the shit they're putting in their system, of course they're never going to learn. When that's obviously wrong, the only reason I can imagine someone would be such a worthless selfish piece of shit is because they lack even that tiny shred of understanding. Especially whenever I hear the excuse as stupid as, "I'm going to die anyways," which demonstrates the lack of understanding of basic physics.

Research Abraham Maslow. That's psychology 101 and might expose a couple misconceptions you have. Also research Absurdism and read plenty of Nietzsche. This is practically philosophy 101 and should at least be sufficiently digestible if art history isn't your thing.

Hell, just play MGS2, that of all things is practically the perfect recipe for whatever the hell is going on in your head.
>>
>>14295976
>Ignorantly consuming media without thought just drags people back, so even if that's all they do, if they don't take a second to step back and think about the shit they're putting in their system, of course they're never going to learn.

I think you've ignored the part of "my brain literally is wired so that it can't see these things". It's not that I choose not to, I'm autistic.
>>
>>14293227
Fuck you
>>
>>14294398
Shirley's death was probably the funniest moment in the whole show.
>>
>>14294405
The terrible proportions.
>>
File: 1348836872019.gif (799 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1348836872019.gif
799 KB, 320x240
>>14294526
>CG
>neat mech designs
>>
>>14294754
>Why do you care about standards? Why does anyone?
>I certainly don't gain anything
Why don't you just go live naked in the woods eating feces then?

I swear the retardation of some members of this show's fanbase is just as impressive as you'd expect it to be.
>>
>>14296035
No, I recall, and that's completely understandable. There's a complete difference from taking things literally and just letting information go one in ear and out the other. Japanese media is ideal for this sort of stuff specifically because of the unsubtle spiels that go on in them. That's the same reason why I recommended reading essays such as by Nietzsche. Absurdists like Camus and Kierkegaard for similar reasons, and they can also adapt one to the more abstract ideals thing. Maslow's work was also based in history, however, so the context can clear things up.

I don't actually know you, so I can't provide an accurate analysis of what direction to take, but aside from drilling reason into your head, try and look for a way to redirect and apply your interests effectively. If history has anything to say about it, it doesn't matter who it is. This is how it works - arguably more so for autists, however different they may be from typical people or other autists. Just use Google and that should become apparent.
>>
>>14294989
>>
>>14296099
As much as I love Kimura, getting him to be the animation character designer when CLAMP is the base character designer does result in some extreme noodle people. Hot noodle people, but still.
>>
>>14296277
Noodle people can be very hot.

See One Piece with Nami and Robin.

Or any Leiji Matsumoto show with his willowy blonde women (though I was weirded out in that X-ray scene where they showed Maetel's inhuman skeleton in the GE999 movie).
>>
>>14296277
The show just doesn't look like his usual stuff. Just Clamp cancer.
>>
>>14293823
Well, if the only cool mech is from a side-story then isn't that telling about the quality of the mecha design?

Shitpost aside, I only watched a few episodes of CG before I dropped it because it was boring. I was just asking about cool mecha design.
>>
>>14296288
Believe you me, I'm familiar with the idea.
>>
>>14294274
>I found Mao's arc amusing, so tedium is hardly an universal reaction. He does die for real in the end, though so I don't know why you're complaining about that.
Incidentally, there is a theory according to which Mao worked for the secret service of the Chinese Federation, and therefore had the money and resources to its plans, but too focused on SS and lost ...

Chinese themselves cut out due to a lack of money and time
>>
>>14293227
Because it's better than what passes for anime today. Seriously, I didn't watch it when it first came out, thinking it looked stupid.
I came back to it years later and had a good time. It was flawed and at times ridiculous, but it was like a breath of fresh air.
I guess after drowning in a sea of horrible, "ain't half bad" goes up a few notches.
Would I call myself a fan? Heavens, no! But if I can't get something great, I'll settle for something interesting and entertaining, albeit not consistently so.
>>
I think the people who act like Geass is godawful don't watch actually godawful anime.
>>
>>14296653
Genuinely bad anime is relatively far and few between. Anyone who complains about bad anime hasn't seen Polyphonica or Musashi Gundoh.
>>
>>14294076
>Sword of Akasha
For some reason I read that as thae Sword of Alaska.
But I agree.
>>
i'll pound lelouch and suzaku t b h
>>
>>14293408
kamille has autism.
>>
File: 4261964-the+man+with+no+taste.jpg (68 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
4261964-the+man+with+no+taste.jpg
68 KB, 800x449
>>14296122
>>
>>14293227

At least it's not Cross Ange...
>>
File: 89cwRJX.png (357 KB, 506x609) Image search: [Google]
89cwRJX.png
357 KB, 506x609
>>14295731
Gave me flashback to those dark times when code geass/death note threads became display of how much pretentiously intelligent they are without being aware of their arm chair expert position,forgetting the fact that it is fiction and creator can do anything ,ranging from cleaver buildup ti idiotic asspulls to forward the narrative.
>>
More like Code GAY-ASS amirite fellas
>>
Stolkholm Syndrome,OP...
I've watched it every year for the past 5 years...
>>
>>14305347
More like Chode Grease
More like Choke Genius
More like Infinite Shit
>>
>>14293736
>It ends up being ineffective and inconsequential contrived schlock.
Zeta in a nutshell, folks.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.