[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the Star Wars universe have proper space suits? None of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: stormtrooper_resin.jpg (251 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
stormtrooper_resin.jpg
251 KB, 800x533
Does the Star Wars universe have proper space suits? None of the main characters ever wear one. The Rebel and Resistance pilot suits have open face helmets. The Stormtrooper full face ones apparently only filter out smoke. Are Tie Fighter pilot suits self contained? Or does the galaxy far far away simply not have a vacuum? Explains the sound in space too.
>>
Yes, TIE fighter pilot suits were supposed to be self contained since the fighters didn't have life support.
>>
>>14292789
Does this count? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spacetrooper
>>
>>14292789

Sound in space during space operas is sometimes out down to software inside fighters and ships playing appropriate sound to any action so as to normalise things for the people in universe and give them sensory information in a natural manner.
>>
>>14292791
Of course even that is a matter of "do we have protagonists onboard? If so then there's some form of costly life support installed. And maybe even hyperdrives."

After all, good guys seem to routinely have highly visible faces in the world of Star Wars.

I think at some point (presumably in the old EU) the in-universe explanation for the Rebs was that their pilot garb emits an atmosphere bubble of some sort around the wearer's head, serving the function of an oxygen mask without the face-obscuring mask part.
>>
I just assumed the sounds in space are for the audience, the characters might not hear it themselves.
>>
>>14292894
If I recall correctly Rebel fighters had full life support.

It was one of the differences in the Galactic Empire's and Rebel Alliance's star fighter doctrine.
>>
>>14292789

Yes. They are called envirosuits
>>
File: SWKOTOR44.jpg (252 KB, 900x1327) Image search: [Google]
SWKOTOR44.jpg
252 KB, 900x1327
Also the Knights of the Old Republic comic is great and you should read it
>>
>>14292789
SW Rebels shows that they often go out with just helmets. Well, SW has highly advanced medecal technologies and probably genetic technologies as well, so ... em ... space-marine tier space adaptation?
>>
File: 2424245151541.jpg (9 KB, 169x298) Image search: [Google]
2424245151541.jpg
9 KB, 169x298
They got cool mechas
>>
Yup, there is a mission in Republic Commando where you have to infiltrate a ship from the outside.
>>
Clone Marines and Space Troopers.

but lol who cares about the EU amiright guiz?
>>
>>14292789
>Or does the galaxy far far away simply not have a vacuum?
iirc Rebels has Vader doing some sick tactical 0-g TIE parkour moves so it probably is a vacuum
>>
>>14292789

A point was made (probably SWTC) that the physical nature of Imperial pilots/TIE pilots vacuum seal gave them a survival edge after bailing out, everything else remaining equal. A Rebel/Republican pilot was reliant on some sort of energy seal that, at the very least, required an energy source, on top of their life support, whereas an Imperial pilot was only reliant on life support (and the sturdiness of the suit, which seemed at least as durable as the Rebel version).

Hence why you see some Rebel pilots wearing full helmets in ROTJ--by then their fighter corps realized the open helmet maybe wasn't a great ideal unless you were regularly eating in the cockpit.
>>
>>14295555
open helmets definitely make it easier to emote what the actors are doing.
>>
>>14292789
If your ship gets shot with laser beams and fucking explodes it doesn't matter if your disembodied head can breath in space. You don't need vacuum life support when you die long before that's an issue.
>>
>>14292939
Yup. TIEs launch from a carrier and return to it after the mission. The TIE itself has only what's necessary for the mission.

X-wings and the like have hyperdrives, allowing them to sortie at long distances, which is useful when you're a rebellion that doesn't want to get pinned down.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (19 KB, 450x326) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
19 KB, 450x326
>>14292789
They don't need 'em. Space is comfy in Star Wars, see The Empire Strike Back. Now, whether this scene was just saying 'fuck physics, this is space fantasy' or ol' George just didn't know how space worked, Han thought he was going out into space here, so accidentally deepthroating a space dinosaur doesn't explain this away.
>>
>>14295682
that sequence is so bizarre and out of place
>>
>>14295724
It's a strange movie all the way, really. I mean, Han and Leia are on the run from the Empire for a day and Luke's training had to be fit in that time, yet obviously looks like it isn't. The bizarre disregard for continuity within the same movie is somehow part of it's charm though. This is why Star Wars is great, the madness of it all. Expanded universe stuff ruins it by coming up with explainations for all these problems.
>>
>>14295749
>Han discovered an alternate route for the Kessel Run that was only 12 parsecs long
>>
>>14293700
I've read enough hentai to know where THIS is going.
>>
File: halohelmetevaclrg.jpg (232 KB, 1500x1544) Image search: [Google]
halohelmetevaclrg.jpg
232 KB, 1500x1544
>>14295555
>>14295577

I'm just wondering why they didn't go with canopy helmets in ROTJ, you get to see faces and still not have to write off people after every starfighter explosion.

Granted, they got the iconic starfighter jockey look down.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.