[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't kept up with anime much. Are there any good modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
I haven't kept up with anime much. Are there any good modern shows (/m/ or not) with a slightly oldschool traditional look?

i.e. with some natural looking linework, roughness & grit, no crappy CG, natural looking color palettes that don't scream "made with computers" too loudly, and character designs that don't look like Death Note/Code Geass. Hope I'm making sense

Like, FLCL and Nichijou (in a weird way, despite being 'moeshit') fit what I was looking for. Macross Frontier didn't.
>>
File: 1456932283969.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1456932283969.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>14267206
Yes, "Reconguista"
>>
File: Thunderbolt.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Thunderbolt.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>14267206
I sort of get it. Going by the shows you mentioned you want something that has more of a drawing/painting look, with more lines basically.

There are shows like that but memory is failing me right now. So to mention a recent one I'd say Gundam Thunderbolt. While it doesn't look old school because of it's strong colors it has a lot of the detail you're asking for.
>>
File: VHPTJa1.jpg (165 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
VHPTJa1.jpg
165 KB, 1920x1080
>>14267206
The currently airing Kabaneri on the Iron Fortress has that look for the characters, at least. The artstyle really helped bring Mikimoto's designs to life.

I won't say the show as a whole is good, though. It's pretty to look at but really nothing more.
>>
Modern anime really has gone to shit with all the CGI and digital coloring. I miss the days of shows like Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Galaxy Express, and Macross. Just a very classic, very Japanese art style.

Being an oldfag sucks sometimes.
>>
>>14268010
t. reddit
>>
Man, I can barely think of any digital anime from a decade ago that looks traditional let alone one that's recent. The one time I had genuine difficulty distinguishing the two styles was with Rune Soldier Louie, way back in 2001.
>>
>>14267206
Astro Boy 2003, but it's sadly lacking in the good subs department.
>or not
If you want to go that way, Mysterious Girlfriend X has designs that wouldn't look out of place in the 90s. Just stick with the show, since the manga's idol singer arc drags it down.

Also, Ushio & Tora seems to be well-received.
>>
>>
>>14268078
>Astroboy 2003

What's wrong with the dub?
>>
>>14267219
If I didn't love filters so much, I'd shitpost at you because the show has CG.

>>14267248
>DUDE SHADING LMAO
I like the show, but this is on the same tier as Star Wars TFA didn't have CGI memery.
Also, the shading is wildly inconsistent.
>>
>>14268697
Mostly the soundtrack change and episodes being shown in a different order. It's alright otherwise, but it would be nice to have the option to properly see the Japanese version too.
>>
>>14267206
You might try Gundam Thunderbolt then
>>
>>14267206
King Gainer was pretty cool. Just be wary that it is a lol Tomino show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_APqa1Wlw
>>
>>14267206
LOL! What's that from? It looks too old to be Parasyte.
>>
>Hope I'm making sense

you lost me when you said you wanted shows that have a traditional look and then mention FLCL a show literally made for the studio to experiment with all new digital techniques at the time. nichjou also uses a lot of digital techniques but its a lot more subtle about it.
>>
>>14267206
No, there are not. Last thing I saw on TV that didn't look 100% digital (though it likely was, point is it emulated a pencil & paper look) was the Lupin series a few years back. Not the most recent one, though it was good, but the Fujiko focused one.
>>
>>14269598

Battle Royale High School. NOT related to the Battle Royale series.

We only have shitty LD rips.
>>
File: Poor Galfa.png (2 MB, 1644x908) Image search: [Google]
Poor Galfa.png
2 MB, 1644x908
Maria the Virgin Witch was good.
>>
File: 1442129524495.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442129524495.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
>>14267206
Kaiji looks "rough"
>>
>>14268740
>Also, the shading is wildly inconsistent.
So just like old school anime then?
>>
>>14269662

The OP honesly doesn't sound like he has any idea what the fuck he's talking about.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.