[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just attended my first Robotech panel.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1024x576
AMA (this was thirty minutes into the event).

Tommy said the BEST is yet to come.
>>
>>14210760
omg, that's just sad looking...
>>
WE
>>
AT
>>
>>14210760
I just want to visit to make the room a little less lonely.
>>
>>14210760
The pic must be shopped.
>>
>>14210852

Yeah, there's way too many people there.
>>
File: Tell me it again.png (11 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
Tell me it again.png
11 KB, 390x470
>>14210871
>>
>>14210760
Nothing to laugh about.jpg
>>
And these are the people who lambasted Delta for being
>American Idol-ish
Where's the Robotechx users then?
>>
>>14210915
Are there rally people on here who say such things?
>>
AND WE AT 4CHAN.ORG ALL LAUGHING
>>
>>14210760
Wow, I think at this stage they should just call it quits with dignity.
>>
I really feel bad for laughing at this.
>>
>>14210760
>Introduction to Robotech
Why would they have an intro to a franchise at a franchise panel?
>>
>>14210974
Because in the age of the internet most people past a certain age would only be familiar with Macross.
>>
>>14210979
What a bunch of fags. They should retire Robotech and form a new company dedicated to bringing over Macross. It could be enough for Satelight if they say it's not Harmony Gold handling any of the importation.
>>
>>14210983
Yea GH is only really appealing to nostalgic old fags at this stage, when was the last time they brought something new to Robotech mythos? And that was worth watching.
>>
>>14210760
Now that's pretty dead.

So if this is an AMA, may I ask if the guys running it had any awareness of how dead things were, or did they try to pretend their franchise was still viable?
>>
>>14211006
>when was the last time they brought something new to Robotech mythos?

They released a bunch of sweet Battletech miniatures. Problem being that they had somebody handle it who's known to have about as much common sense as a teenager.
>>
>>14211009
Yea but did it add anything to the story, or are they still just milking the Macross era?
>>
File: 4273754849.png (20 KB, 950x231) Image search: [Google]
4273754849.png
20 KB, 950x231
>>14210925
>>
>>14210979
In which case they wouldn't care about Robotech then.
>>
>>14211019

>The Seargant Hartman(m) of Robotech.com

Every person I've ever seen in games or forums, who compared themselves to Hartmann, has been an insufferable idiot.

Same goes for people who name themselves any variation of "Rommel".
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (107 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
107 KB, 1920x800
>>14210760
>>
File: pol was right.jpg (40 KB, 463x520) Image search: [Google]
pol was right.jpg
40 KB, 463x520
>>14211103
>Same goes for people who name themselves any variation of "Rommel".
>>
Ask them if they are still being jews with the license.

If they say yes then laugh at their faces.
>>
>>14210760
Did you ask them when we'll be able to legally watch Macross series (not Robotech butchering) in the US?
>>
The weirdest part is how spread out they all are. I mean shit look at how far apart they've sat themselves. You'd think with a fanbase that small, they'd all group up and be buddybuddy.
>>
Do they still think they deserve a cut of Macross franchise money because they brought a shitty bastardized re-dub version over in the 80's that no one cares about under the age of 45?
>>
>>14211303
They always cry "Robotech is responsible for anime in the West!" like they're entitled to some respect for repeating a lie long enough that they think its true.
>>
Laugh at those faggots for us.

Also tell them they ruined any chance of some awesome games to come out to the west.
>>
It's in the pipeline.
>>
Got a update?
>>
>>14211312
But it's true. Anime would never have become popular in the west, and then spread to other parts of the world, if it weren't for Robotech. Stop being such an ingrate and get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>14210760

JUST
>>
>>14211570

FUCK
>>
>>14211582
BEAT
>>
>>14211582
THAT
>>
File: 41.png (171 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
41.png
171 KB, 960x720
>>
>>14211566

t. robotechx.com
>>
File: 39 shammy subbed.png (107 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
39 shammy subbed.png
107 KB, 960x720
>>14211589
>>
>>14211582

MY
>>
>>14211609
ASS
>>
>>14211566
There was anime in the West long before Robotech, all Robotech set the ground work for was how to be a cunt with someone else's property over the course of 30 years.
>>
>>14211566
Nigger please, america is not the only country in the west, various other countries around already had anime airing, my goddamn father watched Baldios on tv
>>
>>14211613
COMMUNICATION
>>
>>14211566
Do Gigantor and Speed Racer ring a bell? Some places even got Mazinger Z and Space Battleship Yamato as Tranzor Z and Star Blazers. And I think there was a short lived dub of Getter Robo G as well. And Voltron is many times more well known than Robotech ever was.

And none of those shows were bastardized messes either, at the worst they had some names changed and in Voltron's case they edited out some of GoLion's over the top violence.
>>
>>14211291
I think there were there for the seat and to play with their phone apps. They weren't interest in the talks.
>>
>>14211566
This has been said and disproven so many times I'm beginning to think this is the same person and he's intentionally being an idiot
>>
>>14211291
Some go there only to hold the seats since damn nearly always the robotech events are right before shit people actually want to see, so they endure shitty things for the good things that will follow
>>
>>14211623
>>14211656
>>14211631

But it wasn't popular. Robotech POPULARIZED anime in America, and its influence spread from there to the rest of the world.

>>14211677
You can keep repeating your retarded delusion, but that won't make it true.
>>
>>14211801
>Speed Racer
>Voltron
>Not popular
Stay delusional
>>
>>14211656
>Do Gigantor and Speed Racer ring a bell? Some places even got Mazinger Z and Space Battleship Yamato as Tranzor Z and Star Blazers.
oh yeah that classic zine that laid the foundations for modern weebing "Cosmo DNAddicts" because they named it after Star Blazers
>>
File: SoAzekq.png (50 KB, 934x771) Image search: [Google]
SoAzekq.png
50 KB, 934x771
>>14211801
>speed racer gets a live action film and ton of reboots
>voltron gets reboots
>Robotech can't even start a new series without begging on kickstarter for money
Robofags truly are delusional. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/
>>
>>14211806
Speed Racer isn't regarded as anime, most people think it's a western cartoon. And Voltron was never as popular as Robotech.
>>
File: 1459495548059.png (10 KB, 484x360) Image search: [Google]
1459495548059.png
10 KB, 484x360
>>14211801
>>
>>14211835
>anyone who doesn't agree with me is baiting trolls wahhhhh

Go back to your tumblr/reddit circlejerk hugbox, retard.
>>
>>14210760
are the fat dude no the left? holy shit he takes up 2 fucking chairs to sit his ass!
>>
>>14211312
Hong Kong bootlegs brought anime to my country. Not Robotech.
>>
File: yijXVgu.png (103 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
yijXVgu.png
103 KB, 208x242
>>14211829
>>
File: 1462679682145.jpg (60 KB, 636x449) Image search: [Google]
1462679682145.jpg
60 KB, 636x449
>>14211893
>>
>>14211843
So, you not baiting, but actually retarded?
You realize that's a step lower, right?
>>
>>14211801
The tape-trading anime fandom was alive well before Robotech hit the US. I won't deny that it played a role, yes, but that role could've easily been filled by something else.

As for this "spreading to other parts of the world" bit, that simply ain't true. Mexico, Brazil, France, and Italy all have defining anime, and HG's adaptation of three unrelated shows into one called Robotech ain't one of them.

You know, it's people like you that make folks think that Macross is somehow the Japanese adaptation of Robotech.

>>14211853
He looks pretty fat, but, judging from his shoulders, he'd still be huge even if he wasn't fat.
>>
>>14211227
ban bossy
>>
>>14211904
>The tape-trading anime fandom was alive well before Robotech hit the US.

It was minor, Robotech brought popularized anime through TV.

>I won't deny that it played a role, yes, but that role could've easily been filled by something else.

I'm not denying that. But the point is, that role wasn't filled by something else.
>>
>>14211566
>What is Speed Racer
>What is Force Five
>What is Gigantor
>>
File: robocuck.jpg (18 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
robocuck.jpg
18 KB, 320x180
>>14212070
It's not worth explaining, he's baiting or this desperate robocuck who sperged out when the kickstarter rightfully crashed and burned.
>>
>>14212070
No, seriously though, what is Force Five? I had to Wikipedia it.

>In the United States, this series was primarily shown only in New England, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, though it did make brief appearances in other markets, such as Dallas, Texas and San Jose, California on KICU-TV 36.

Sounds like it was actually pretty widely distributed, we just didn't get it in the podunk flyover states where I live. Carry on then.
>>
>>14212115
I only found out about it because Dorkly posted the Getter Robo G dub a year or two ago.
>>
>>14210871

10/10 fucking savage and I just lol'd in an IHOP.
>>
>>14212070
>>What is Speed Racer
A cartoon that nobody thinks is anime.

>>What is Gigantor
Never gained as much popularity as Robotech.

>>What is Force Five
What IS Force Five?
>>
>>14212146
What is Robotech?
>>
>>14212146
>A cartoon that nobody thinks is anime
Then what does that make Robotech? A cartoon most people think is Macross?
>>
>>14212152
The anime that brought attention to Japanese anime to America and ultimately the west. Anime would never have become popular in the west, and then spread to other parts of the world, if it weren't for Robotech. Stop being such an ingrate and get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>14212163
>Anime would never have become popular in the west, and then spread to other parts of the world, if it weren't for Robotech
Then why was the first American anime magazine named after Space Battleship Yamato?
>>
>>14212163
Parts of Europe and the middle east got shows like Grendizer, Mazinger, Great Mazinger, Baldios, Space Adventure Cobra, and more dubbed in their languages before Robotech was even a thing. And Robotech only ever aired in the US. Plus the aforementioned shows that came before Robotech and are also more well known.

Whether you're shitposting or just completely delusional I'm not gonna just let you spread misinformation.
>>
>>14212080
Funny thing is that people purposely contributed to that, and then pulled their contributions at the last minute.
>>
>>14212168
>>14212171
Man, you kids REALLY don't know what it was like back then, do you? I helped distribute VHS fansubs of Grendizer back in the day, I kind of remember what the whole anime scene was like. Starblazers was popular on a niche level. Nobody even knew that Speed Racer was Japanese. Seriously, what IS Force Five?

Robotech was the big breakthrough that gave the anime medium anything close to a semblance of recognition in mainstream, and got anime recognized. There are cases of anime before it becoming slightly popular or extremely popular in the case of Speed Racer, but they weren't recognized as anime. People thought they were just cartoons. People thought Speed Racer was fucking Hanna Barbera.
>>
>>14212202
I never said Grendizer was popular in America dipshit, it was pretty big in France and the middle east.
>>
>>14211829

> Speed Racer isn't regarded as anime, most people think it's a western cartoon.

Assuming that's true (and it's a large assumption) how does that make a difference? The people licensing it still knew it was anime and that the audience liked it so much it became seen as a non-adopted property so they licensed more. That's just as, if not more important to how successful it was, than what people thought it's origins were.
>>
>>14212209
And how is that anywhere related to what I said? Are you retarded?

>>14212214
The difference is how much of an effect it had on popularizing anime in the west: Speed Racer had none.

>>14212215
Here's your (you), shitposter-kun.
>>
>>14212220
Because you tried using Grendizer as evidence for your insane ramblings as soon as it was brought up?

>>14212214
This, hell kids don't give a shit where these shows are from. How many kids do you think watched Sailor Moon, DBZ, or Power Rangers BECAUSE it's Japanese?
>>
>>14211885
What are you on about? Can something only become known in Burgerland if it is on TV?

In the eighties Asian countries became more and more important players in the world economy so business travel became frequent. Folks brought anime videocassette tapes and manga back with them.
Also traders in Asia noticed the interest in cool Japan and started shipping black market merchandise to Chinatowns in Europe.

THAT is how anime became a thing. Not Robotech.
>>
>>14212228
So you are retarded, good to know.

All I said was that I helped distribute VHS Grendizer fansubs, not that it was "popular" which is what you seem to have gotten in >>14212209

Try to learn some basic English before posting, you're coming off as an rabid autist throwing fits over posts you clearly can't even understand.
>>
>>14212238
>Try to learn some basic English before posting
You first, ESL-kun.
>>
>>14212236
>What are you on about? Can something only become known in Burgerland if it is on TV?
Are you seriously this ignorant?
>>
>>14212241
This isn't a spic or anything, it's that one guy who tried making the Robotech "BDs" a few months ago.
>>
the justin li movie will save robotech, it will be bigger than macross
>>
>>14212220

> Speed Racer had none

Giving the licensing company more incentive to bring over other content is an effect. A large one.

Also, Robotech had one season of 85 episodes. Volton had two of over 130 episodes. Robotech has never gotten a sequel off the ground, Voltron has had several. Voltron is also referenced more as a pop culture icon in songs, tv shows and so on, has had several reboots and is still vaguely popular to this day. Robotech isn't any of those.
>>
>>14212250
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about, I'm not even a member of the Robotech "community". I just can't stand how retarded children like you shit all over it and make up their own headcanon alternate histories to play down how significant it was in bringing anime to the west. Do you ingrates even have the slightest idea what it was like being an anime fan in the 80's? Jesus christ.
>>
>>14212250
Honestly I'm just trying to trigger him even harder at this point.

>>14212252
If you're gonna shitpost you could at least try to make it entertaining instead of just mimicking the habits of the wild Robotech autist.
>>
>>14212263
The majority of this board's audience wasn't even born in the 80's, it's pointless trying to convince them of anything when they're willing to distort fact to this extent.

Fun fact: Most of the time, when you're arguing with people on the internet who seem to be autistic children, chances are that they actually are autistic children.

Look at these posts
>>14212267
>>14212257
>>14212250
>>14212241
>>14212228
>>14212215
>>14212209
No balanced adult could ever post anything as irrationally retarded as this trash. They're clearly too emotional to be just trolling either. They're autistic children.
>>
>>14212228
Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience. America's the world's third-largest country by population, the richest, and the biggest media market. France ain't shit by comparison. France is barely even half the size of Japan, while the US is twice as big as Japan and people there actually buy things.

That's why popularizing the concept in the US matters. Because you can take something made in Japan, buy it for cheap, translate it, do nothing else, and then sell it and make money. Doing a hackdub takes voice actors and scriptwriters, even if they're relatively cheap ones, and that cuts into profits. Straight translations are relatively easy and you can churn them out for less money, so if people will buy straight translations then that's what will be sold.

Selling anything in France will buy you maybe a box of peanuts if it's a huge hit. The shit that gets released in France NOW is usually translated from Japanese to English and then the English sub script is translated to French to save time and money. America is the gateway to international distribution. If it's profitable to sell it in America then it becomes profitable to sell it worldwide. If you can't make in America, then I hope you like your native country because you're never getting released anywhere else.

As much as everyone on 4chan likes to talk about, "lel mainstream normalfags who buy things like idiots, unlike use superior poorfags!" they are the ones who buy things, and shit only gets made because people buy it. Robotech is what proved that people will buy anime, as it is with minimal changes, and that paved the way for the "Japanimation" boom and the industry as it exists now. The era of everything getting released and publications existing entirely to cover anime only exists because Robotech proved that it was a viable business model to begin with.
>>
>>14212276
Says the autistic Robobabby
>>
You know, just because you believe Robotech changed the Western industry isn't going to change that nobody goes to Robotech events
>>
>>14212278
>Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience
But Robotech is to this day hated more than any other adaptation FOR editing shit down. Harmony Gold was worse than 90s Funimation or 4kids.
>>
>>14212285
Hated today by children who weren't around in the 80's to see what the state of anime fandom was like back then.

HG are a bunch of scumbags and there is objectively no good reason to bringing Robotech back, but that doesn't change the fact that the editing was a necessity and that Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west. (And before some autistic child claims I'm contradicting myself on the editing, no, I'm not >>14212278)
>>
>>14212278

> Because you can take something made in Japan, buy it for cheap, translate it, do nothing else, and then sell it and make money. Doing a hackdub takes voice actors and scriptwriters, even if they're relatively cheap ones, and that cuts into profits.

Newsflash anon: Robotech needed to be re-written to integrate all 3 shows and redubbed to that new writing. Not to mention translating three different shows and not just one. It needed even more work than some other shows before it.
>>
>>14212281
I never claimed otherwise. Please do try to keep up, you look ridiculously stupid when you're lording over imaginary targets you came up with yourself.
>>
>>14212278
>Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience
Except Robotech altered the most out of any of the other 80s or earlier dubs discussed here. That's usually the reason why people dislike it. Besides name changes, Gigantor, Speed Racer, Tranzor Z, and Star Blazers were pretty much straight dubs of the shows they were adapted from. And there was actually a second dub of Mazinger Z that didn't change the names at all, I think that only aired in like Hawaii though, and never got a proper home video release. Voltron changed some plot details and cut down on the violence but didn't attempt to mash three different shows into a single series.
>>
>>14212296
>biggest player in bringing anime to the west.
It wasn't, more people know about Voltron or Speed Racer than they do about Robotech.
>>
>>14212301
Robotech ended up more popular than all of those, though, because of the editing.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-04-24-23h40m44s065.png (801 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-24-23h40m44s065.png
801 KB, 1280x720
>>14212296
>Because Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience.
>but that doesn't change the fact that the editing was a necessity
>>
die monster you don't belong in this world
>>
>>14212301
>Besides name changes, Gigantor, Speed Racer, Tranzor Z, and Star Blazers were pretty much straight dubs
Tranzor spliced in Great Mazinger footage at random
stop reading wikipedia and pretending you know shit
>>
>>14212250
I still remember the meltdown with each subsequent thread because of how no one here and aparently not even reddit wanted his insane bullshit
>>
>>14212304
I've mentioned Speed Racer before.

You're straight up wrong about Voltron, and though you didn't mention it, Star Blazers wasn't anywhere as popular as Robotech back in the day either.

Seriously, though, were you part of the anime fandom in the 80's? Because I was, and some of the stuff you lot are claiming here are plain ludicrous to anyone who knows anything about what it was like back then.

>>14212307
Read the post, autistic child.
>>
>>14212311
Still less than Robotech changed, trying to turn Macross into a serious war drama and then the complete bastardization of Southern Cross and Mospeda.
>>
Whether or not Robotech changed the industry doesn't even matter. Fact is that we aren't getting Macross (partially) because HG are a buncha fags.

Like, you do something nice 30 years ago, doesn't mean much. It's like that sleazy old guy who still goes on about accomplishments from High School.
>>
>>14212305
If it did why is it the only one to not get a new version by americans? Why is it the only one to be hated by everyone? Hmm?
>>
>>14212323
This is completely true, and I agree entirely.

Like I said before, all I;m saying is that >>14212296
>that doesn't change the fact that the editing was a necessity and that Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.

Somehow, the autistic children who can barely read (seriously, look at >>14212307) in this thread managed to turn this into "wahhhh he's defending robotech call in the gank squad". I'm not. I like Macross more than Robotech, and HG needs to die in a fire.

But the fact remains that Robotech is what popularized anime in the west.
>>
>>14212285
>>14212298
>>14212301
Are you guys seriously fucking kidding me with this? Did you even watch Robotech, or did you just read a bunch of shitposts on the internet and decide to reshit them? The connections between the three sections are flimsy as shit and only a few throwaway lines of dialogue are changed to "fit" them. By comparison, try even reading the Wikipedia summary on GoLion:

>GoLion's story set in 1999, when the planet Altea is subdued and enslaved by the Galra Empire. Five space pilots return to Earth to find the planet annihilated by thermonuclear war. Eventually, the explorers are captured and enslaved, and forced to fight for their lives in Emperor Daibazaal's arena. The young pilots escape and eventually land on the planet Altea, where they discover the secret of the mighty sentient robot GoLion, the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Emperor Daibazaal's forces. Thousands of years ago, GoLion was an arrogant robot who, after defeating several Beastmen, tried to challenge the goddess of the universe into battle, but failed. For GoLion's hubris, the goddess taught him humility by separating him into five pieces in the form of five lion robots that sailed through space and crash-landed on Altea, to lay in wait for those who would one day reawaken him to fight evil once again.

Do you remember any of that being in Voltron? Because it fucking wasn't. Voltron acted like a dead character was still alive because it would be too traumatic for children to have a hero die. Robotech acted like the magic sci-fi tech in Macross was the same magic sci-fi tech in Mospeada. There's not even close to a comparison.
>>
>>14212333
>Did you even watch Robotech
It seems pretty apparent to me that they never watched Robotech, or Starblazers, or Voltron, and weren't even born yet in the 80's, but want to pretend to be experts on what the anime scene was like in the 80's because they're literal autistic children.
>>
>>14212332
>But the fact remains that Robotech is what popularized anime in the west.
Why don't you stop typing like aretarrd and say it popularize only in the US becuase every other country, even Canada had better shit to watch than that abortion of Robotech
>>
>>14212333
Still less than what Robotech changed in Macross alone
>>
>>14212344
>Why don't you stop typing like aretarrd
>>
>>14212333
I ddi, because I had a friend who hated anime but only liked Robotech for some stupid reason and while I already hate southern cross this show made me hate everything that was involved even more
>>
>>14212344
>Why don't you stop typing like aretarrd and say it popularize only
w e w , l a d
e
w
>>
>>14212344
It brought attention to anime AS A MEDIUM in the US, which led to the popularization of anime as a whole in the west.

Please do try to read the thread before throwing fits.
>>
Jean Aretarrd was one of the finest typest of all French history why would you besmirch him so
>>
>>14212352
>which led to the popularization of anime as a whole in the west
Fucking please, US was the only country that always had to heavily edit whatever is released there to make palatable for you burgerlanders, other countries have received anime and toku for years before Robotech was there, how can receive popularity when its already thriving on other conutries? Why do you insist in ignoring that other countries received anime shortly after they were aired in japan? Robotech is a thing that only americans are obssessed with, don't try to force your stupid bullshit on other contries.

The only thing the US did was actually damn nearly kill the release of anime in every other country because when the companies get the rights for your country you niggers include a clause to distribute to either the whole west or all americas AND THIS IS A FUCKING FACT THAT YOU CAN SEARCH IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME
>>
>>14212368
>wahhhh the US doesn't matter america a shit
>im from phillipines/indonesia/vietnam/brazil/france

nobody cares about your shithole country gookspic, we're talking about the west here
>>
>>14212368
>AND THIS IS A FUCKING FACT THAT YOU CAN SEARCH IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME
lol isn't this how a person has to sign off their schizo rants about the jewlluminati reptiloids?
>>
Maybe instead of shrieking that other people are autistic children when they point out how you're wrong, you should take a look at yourself for clinging to a hackjob dub thirty years after it lost any relevance it once had.

And whether you're serious or just pretending to be retarded, either way all you're doing is shitposting.
>>
File: lol.gif (2 MB, 240x155) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
2 MB, 240x155
>>14212375
Keep including more countries there, maybe you might actually get to mine
>>
If Robotech is more popular than Voltron why has Voltron gotten three reboots while Robotech has just a shitty OVA?
>>
>>14212368
Because anime was as popular as it was in the west before Robotech as it was after, right?

By the way, I was always talking solely about the west, not Asian countries. You ARE talking about the west with your "other countries", and aren't so retarded that you managed to ignore the entire point of the discussion, right?
>>
>>14212381
He is not wrong though, when Saban or 4kids received the rights of distribution they would be the ones i ncharge of distribution to damn nearly every country, this is why 4kids lost so much money when YGO and One Piece got fucked
>>
>>14212390
Do you seriously consider England and France to be asian countries? What the fuck and yeah since they kept geting more anime and toku each year they were already pretty damn popular
>>
>>14212385
Good job missing the entire point. Maybe before complaining about being called an autistic child, you should read what's being written and consider how you're acting like an autistic child when you throw fits and argue with things that literally aren't part of the discussion.
>>
>>14212390
Italy and Spain had tons of animes aired before Robocuck, dumbass. Saint Seiya, Daitarn, Mazinger, and more. I'm an Americlap and even I know that.
>>
>>14212401
England and France only jumped on the anime bandwagon after it got popular in the US, and it got popular in the US because of Robotech.
>>
>>14212390

> Because anime was as popular as it was in the west before Robotech as it was after, right?

Pretty much, yea. It didn't really take off till the 90s with Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. There wasn't much difference in the amount of anime aired before or after Robotech.
>>
>>14212388
Voltron is more popular in the first place, and its rights holder, WEP, has all but acquired the rights the the franchise outright. Where as HG never had that control, so any chance they had of pushing Robotech like that ended ages ago.
>>
I think the problem with these people is they hold these at anime conventions. Not nostalgia-fueled abortions from the late 80's and 90's conventions. I don't think they even have those. Not that those conventions and anime conventions aren't closely related. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Tommy isn't a bad guy though, I like hearing him talk about stuff.
>>
>>14212413
>It didn't really take off till the 90s with Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z.
Which only happened because Robotech brought attention to Japanese anime.
>>
>>14212410
Are you fucking insane? France was getting anime since 1978, what the hell is wrong with you, there is a goddamn reason the french are the biggest weeaboos in the world
>>
>>14212413
In 5 years people will claim Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha made it popular. In another 10 years people will claim Naruto and Bleach made anime popular in the west.
>>
>>14212421
>these things that were popular couldn't have been popular if not for this far less popular thing
Why?
>>
File: tmp_1463-hqdefault770281214.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1463-hqdefault770281214.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>14211678
Wow. That's some next level despair.
>>
>>14212421
No, it only happened because they aired on brazil, mexico, spain and france and had incredibly high ratings on tv, you americans actually were the last to get anything nice
>>
>>14212423
To be fair, Naruto was probably the biggest player in after DBZ and maybe Pokemon.

Ugh.
>>
>>14212424
Because it brought attention to anime as a whole. Read the thread.

>>14212429
We're talking about the west, spic.
>>
Robotech fans are truly delusional holy shit
>>
>>14212441
So, your only counter to being show actual facts is screaming about spics? That is some sad shit m8
>>
>>14212421

Putting aside that massive assumption, that wasn't what you said. You said that anime was more popular after Robotech than before. It wasn't. It didn't really become a big thing in the US until several years later and different shows did it.
>>
>>14212441
>Because it brought attention to anime as a whole.
It really didn't. And people probably weren't aware that it was Japanese, what with the lack of Japanese credits.
>>
>>14212472
And all american credits showing us the wonderful names of the people who hacked everything into bits and pieces
>>
I like that most Robotech morons have finally ceased to argue that Robotech is a good show and are now reduced to arguing that Robotech popularized anime "in the west".

I live in a country in "the west" and nobody here had ever fucking heard of Robotech. People here saw Silverfang, ie Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin, and later generations saw Pokémon or read Dragon Ball.

Doesn't help that Robotech is garbage, especially by modern standards. They replaced all the orchestral music with garbage from some Italian man's cheap syntheziser
>>
>>14212455
The discussion has never been about anything but the west.

>brazil, mexico, spain

Not relevant.

>>14212462
>that wasn't what you said. You said that anime was more popular after Robotech than before. It wasn't

>until several years later

"It wasn't more popular after, until later". Seriously?

>and different shows did it.

Robotech popularized the medium, allowing for multiple shows to come in. Is that really so hard to understand?
>>
>>14212479
Read the thread before shitposting, autistic child.
>>
>>14212472
>It really didn't. And people probably weren't aware that it was Japanese, what with the lack of Japanese credits.
>And all american credits showing us the wonderful names of the people who hacked everything into bits and pieces
Holy shit i thought you were lying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyg4woWOVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUXZ69CV0FM
>>
>>14210760
Just like muh gunplpanel at animazement.
Pretty fucking chill.
>>
>>14212391
But who cares if he's right? What kind of dumb company would NOT pick up international distribution rights, especially if they have the capacity to actually distribute internationally?

>>14212441
>>14212481
But, Anon, Mexico and Brazil are south of the US, not east of it. Mexico's not even in South America. They're as west as the US is.
>>
>>14212481
>Robotech popularized the medium
two words, Astro Boy
>>
>>14212485
Like I'm gonna participate in your circular semantic argument.
>>
File: 701worlds.png (7 KB, 300x178) Image search: [Google]
701worlds.png
7 KB, 300x178
>>14212481
>The discussion has never been about anything but the west.
>
>>brazil, mexico, spain
>
>Not relevant.
Are you fucking underage? Did you not receive any goddamn education? And why do you kee conveniently forgetting about France, Italy, Portugal? Just becaue you're ignorant doesn't make you right
>>
>>14212488
There, we have definitive proof that it didn't make 'anime' known.
>>
>>14212496
>But who cares if he's right? What kind of dumb company would NOT pick up international distribution rights, especially if they have the capacity to actually distribute internationally?
And that somehow makes it acceptable to fuck every other country out there? Why are americans so fucking jewish while also hating the jews?
>>
File: this isnt sane.jpg (26 KB, 383x287) Image search: [Google]
this isnt sane.jpg
26 KB, 383x287
>>14212488
>Because it brought attention to anime as a whole
>MFW watching that
>>
>>14212502
This is /m/, where dumbasses think only weeaboos say "western world".
>>
>>14212481

Popular until later normally means within a short time frame in that context. Not ten years after airing. That large a time frame normally means that the two have little direct connection and that something else probably paved the way for them. Also, multiple shows had come over before that point.
>>
>>14212488
Ick, I had to watch the original OP four times to get the taste out of your mouth.
>>
>>14211587

COMMUNICATION
>>
>>14212263
Was Robotech ever broadcast outside the US? I had never even heard of it until I saw it mentioned on MAL.
>>
>>14212510
Yes. It's literally their job. If an American media conglomerate doesn't think that selling shit in your country is going to be profitable then there probably isn't a company that would have sold there, anyway. The American company in question already paid for distribution rights and translation and still be can't be bothered, anybody else would have to shoulder the same costs that the Americans aren't willing to pay plus the ones that the Americans already paid. That's not sound business.

Have you tried living in a bigger, more profitable market? I heard that California is nice this time of year.
>>
File: Chb3jDnUgAUrUm7.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Chb3jDnUgAUrUm7.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>14212548
They were really pushing it in China, recently. I don't know how extensive Harmony Gold's distribution rights are, though.
>>
>>14212488
There are Japanese names, in the ending at the 28 second mark, but those names are people from Tatsunoko, and not the actual staff from Studio Nue who were the real people behind Macross.

Also talk about ripping off the John Williams Superman theme. Plus really awful malplaced drums.
>>
>>14212548

I think it aired in the UK and Ireland. One of my friends years ago was a fan and wanted to show us the Shadow Masters movie, which I had no idea was related to Macross (having only seen Zero by then), but it was quite boring, so on my request (and everyone else's agreement, including the guy playing it) we turned it off and put on something else. I didn't find out about the Macross relationship till a few years later on /m/.
>>
>>14212565
>Robotech is being pushed in the country that made Astro Plan
Harry Pottery.
>>
>>14212402
Keep jamming your fingers in your ears and ignoring reality then I guess.
>>
>>14212368
Luckily thanks to Kazaa in the early 2000s anime is now widely availabe bypassing American licencors completely.
>>
>>14212593
>Luckily thanks to Kazaa in the early 2000s
Oh man, I remember those times downloading shit at fucking dial up speeds
>>
>>14212595

Lord there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I think I got Zeta off there and watched the first 15 or so episodes before being distracted. Lots of porn and stuff too. All while playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and watching Gundam Wing and Dragonball Z AMVs.
>>
>be me
>sperg
>see Robotech thread
>muh west
>muh HG
>muh Americentricism
>muh stupididity

What even goes on in the Roboplebe's mind?

Why do they, moreso even than any Gundamfan--not by much though--sperg out so damn hard over this shit?
>>
>>14212595
Anime episodes were only 50MB big and terrible quality but it was all we had.
>>
>>14212609
Way too emotionally invested.

>>14212593
I miss limewire now.
>>
>>14212613
I think it was either .rm or .rmvb, I remember I downloaded the first Hellsing with 13mb each episode
>>
>>14212609
Because they've been strung along with promises of sequels and movies for decades at this point by a bunch of scumbags.
Only the insanely dedicated autists would stick around through thirty years of that.
>>
>>14212623
Robotechies are the only nostalgia shits I hate. Everyone else accepts that their adaptation is old and crappy but love it for what it is. Yet Robotech people keep insisting that their bad mangled adaptation is relevant today.
>>
>>14212623
No man the movie is gonna totally happen. It's gonna be great!
>>
>>14212609
>Americentricism
He says, in English, on an American website.

>What even goes on in the Roboplebe's mind?
Personally, it's generally along the lines of, "Mospeads DVDs are expensive," "Mospeada is never getting and sequels," "I wonder if this would still be around without the Palladium RPG," and, often in these threads, "30 years later, nipponophiles are still desperate to prove their street cred by shitting on a mild hackdub that's only really interesting for its significance to the industry and its relation a company that kept them from buying something that they were going to steal anyway."
>>
>>14212666
>west =/= America

Lovin' every laff
>>
>>14212666
This is an international English website hosted in the United States.
>>
>>14212529
AME NI
>>
>>14212682
owned by an eleven
>>
>>14212278

Toonami and Cartoon Network did far more to popularize anime in the USA than Robotech ever did retard.
>>
>>14212620
What was resolution and quality for stuff like that? Newfag here who found limewire the year it died.
>>
>>14212609
Why don't BW gives them Orguss and tell them to fuck off forever?
>>
>>14212744
I really don't remember , at the very least it was watchable from what I do remember, surprisingly there weren't too many artifacts or the picture outright glitching, Serial Experiments Lain was completely fucked though and that saddened me greatly because I had finally found it after watching on tv and tried downloading
>>
>>14212750

Yea, I remember porn being like 50mbs for a big scene and not noticing any quality issues. It'd probably look like ass if I saw it now, but at the time it seemed fine.
>>
>>14212758
It helps that at the time the onboard graphics cards were already powerful enough for most of everything, I know Iplayed half-life and other such games while not even knowing about graphic cards, for fuck I remember thinking how a 6gb of hard drive was gigantic and I have double that on my goddamn phone today
>>
>>14212744
>limewire
you were never supposed to get that fucking Trojan you retard, you were supposed to laugh at the faggots giving their computers AIDS and continue to torrent properly.
>>
File: 1407792017265.jpg (51 KB, 299x353) Image search: [Google]
1407792017265.jpg
51 KB, 299x353
>>14212682
>hosted in the United States

>4chan
>US hosted
>2016
>>
>>14212744
Basically like the webm of today.

We all watched it on PC monitors.
>>
File: Minnie May Bullshit.jpg (50 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Minnie May Bullshit.jpg
50 KB, 480x480
>>14211829
>And Voltron was never as popular as Robotech.

Toppest of keks. Please tell all the pop culture call outs that Robotech has gotten. I can only think of one, when Futurama did an anime parody and used Robotech (and Voltron) music. Meanwhile Voltron gets referenced all the damn time, gets reboots. Hell even Gundam gets more references than Robotech.
>>
>>14212744
like 192x154, sometimes at 15fps, with a bitrate that wasn't great which was further compounded by the awful codec.

But, entire seasons of anime on a single CD-R.
>>
>>14212609
Because otherwise, they'd have to accept the truth: 'Robotech' as a franchise is based on a lie and now that people can actually watch Macross, they have to accept that it is now dead and irrelevant.
>>
>>14212789
Pretty sure the servers are still in California.
>>
>>14212565
Yeah, they are planning on integrating Astro Plan into the Robotech Saga.
>>
>>14213040
>But, entire seasons of anime on a single CD-R.
Made some mad money with that in the day
>>
File: laughs.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
laughs.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>14213081
>Yeah, they are planning on integrating Astro Plan into the Robotech Saga.
I believe in this precisely because it is retarded
>>
File: 1344640018105.jpg (1016 KB, 1000x1122) Image search: [Google]
1344640018105.jpg
1016 KB, 1000x1122
>>14213086
I want it to be true so bad.

btw we need an updated version of this to include Robotech Delta.
>>
File: haman laugh.gif (1 MB, 346x261) Image search: [Google]
haman laugh.gif
1 MB, 346x261
>>14213094
>Goobly Bowtie
>>
>>14213103
He pilots the prototype Thanksgiving Veritech.
>>
File: Fixed.jpg (397 KB, 1744x1490) Image search: [Google]
Fixed.jpg
397 KB, 1744x1490
>>
File: 1461968626999.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1461968626999.gif
3 MB, 360x360
>it's a "45-year-olds and 16-year-olds argue with each other over a bunch of shit no one cares about" episode
Gettin' real sick of these reruns
>>
>>14213165
Well yeah of course we are stuck in rerun hell. There has been no new content and no one can think up some filler.
>>
>>14213165
More like Macross anime,video games,novels, manga,and live concerts being bottle-necked from the entire world because an irrelevant leech shady company thinks they deserve to own a piece for their shitty rip-off with horrible follow-ups to original material. Macross is thriving, whether you like the entries or not, and HG doesn't deserve shit.
I don't blame them for saying fuck it, they're obviously doing well enough at home in Japan unlike Faggotech that needs to proselytize to any poor soul across the Earth.
>>
>>14213193
If only there were some way to conveniently download all of those things for free.
>>
>>14213244
Those nice jappos even put eng. subs in their blurays.
>>
>>14213247
>tfw don't live in America or Japan
>tfw can't play Jap blu-rays on my bluray player
>>
File: pipeline.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pipeline.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>14213244
>>14213247
>no actual reasons why this fuckery should be tolerated.
>XD just pirate/import, why would you want more of the whole series in English at a reasonable price?
nostalgia sure is blinding. what's one reason HG should squat on the Macross copyright besides siphoning off of work that they had no part in?
to release shitty shirts and the same DVD sets over and over?
>>
>>14213193
Luckiky nowadays importing Macross shows and merchandise is a LOT easier than it was back in the eighties and nineties.

I don't even hate the guy who did Robotech, it was an eighties thing. I do think HarmonyGold are scum though.
>>
>>14213094
Max Sterling is a really cool name.
>>
>>14213283
I'm not the Robotech autist.
And anyways, isn't there more reason to the continued blocking of Macross than just HG being maximum yid?
>>
>>14213293
Well if someone in the West was willing to buy the Macross rights for the West and go to court over it Harmony would very likely lose.

But frankly Macross isn't a big show outside Asia and since English speaking fans can just import the stuff nobody bothers with it. Macross isn't Pokémon or Naruto.
>>
One time a Robotech guy tried to tell me that Robotech's profits saved Studio Nue during a financial downturn in the 80s.
>>
>>14213309
Man that would be glorious. Wait did HG release the actual Macross show on DVD?
>>
>>14213293
Isn't there also some stuff regarding music licensing?
>>
>>14213288
>I don't even hate the guy who did Robotech
Nobody does. HG's faggotry over the years is why we hate it and why Robotech is poisoned forever as an adaptation.
HG salting the earth and the music licenses are the two main reasons Macross is so under-licensed in the west, but the latter would've been easier to work with than the former.
>>
>anime con
>robotech panel about movie
>ask if Kawamori would involved in anyway
>they don't even know who Kawamori is
>>
>>14213283
What makes you think I'm defending Harmony Gold or Robotech? I'm saying you have to be a retard to still give a shit after all this time when clearly nothing is going to change. Just be happy everything has good fansubs, there are a ton of other series that don't have that luxury and will also likely never see an official release.
>>
File: meanwhile at studio nue.jpg (24 KB, 448x311) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile at studio nue.jpg
24 KB, 448x311
>>14210760
Great - a chance to use pic related again.
>>
File: aliens--lol.jpg (20 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
aliens--lol.jpg
20 KB, 385x278
>>14213094
>Brad Nibbly

Every goddamn time
>>
Does anyone else get like, a North korea vibe when looking at the Robotech fanbase? Just look at their facebook page

Seeing them refer to Hikaru as "Rick" is so jarring. We all know his name is Hikaru, but they keep referring to him as Rick anyway. It would have worked in the 80s when the internet wasn't around, but everyone knows the original story. It'd be like if Sony licensed Star Wars and started parading Luke around as "Ryu" and pretended that it was an original character.
>>
>>14213333
Harmony Gold doesn't actually release anything, they license out stuff to other companies for them to release. And yes, the original Macross series has been released several times and even got a new (and awful) dub. Not really worth hunting down any of these releases unless you're a collector though since the aftermarket prices are super high and the visual quality is ass compared to the Japanese BD.
>>
>>14213353
Not trying to defend Robotech but to them Hikaru is Rick. Their (incredibly small) fanbase cares about Robotech not Macross.
>>
>>14213353
I get a vibe more of a mad house since they keep repeating the same bullshit for decades as a mantra
>>
>>14213360
>their (incredibly small) fanbase cares about Robotech not Macross.

The majority of robotech products all seem to be macross related though. Shouldn't it be more like "Their fanbase cares more about the Macross section of Robotech, not Macross"
>>
>>14213362
Sounds appropriate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

>>14213353
Maybe like Kingmenu, they somehow don't know how to search for things in the Internet in general.
>>
>>14213364
I guess that is better reasoning. Man I just want to buy Macross BD without paying Japanese prices.
>>
>>14213359
Oh I did not plan on getting them. I just saw the DVDs at a store nearby a few days ago and I was just curious.
>>
>>14211656
Didn't Gigantor completely change the setting, though
>>
>>14213391
Didn't Robotech?
>>
File: Breetai.jpg (321 KB, 1020x1559) Image search: [Google]
Breetai.jpg
321 KB, 1020x1559
>>14213362
Mad house is the right word for the Robotech fandom.
>>
>>14213094
>Robotech Delta.
HAYDEN 'MAD IMMELMANN' MANSEN
>>
File: Rock and Roll MDC.jpg (408 KB, 1214x783) Image search: [Google]
Rock and Roll MDC.jpg
408 KB, 1214x783
>>14213585
Frida Applepie, Luke Applepie's little sister and Protoculture songstress. She studied under Lancer himself.
>>
File: MDC Drums and Keys.jpg (416 KB, 1215x779) Image search: [Google]
MDC Drums and Keys.jpg
416 KB, 1215x779
>>14213599
But to be serious for a moment, I think it is pretty interesting that Palladium took Robotech in the same direction that Macross went.
>>
>>14213599
>Protoculture songstress
Featuring her first hit single
https://youtu.be/LJ2RmFcxoDs
>>
>>14213599
>>14213607

Holy shit, no wonder they ditched the printings on the old RPGs and rewrote the whole thing. What books were these in? Sentinels or Invid Invasion?
>>
>>14213607
>>14213599
That looks like absolute shit, goddamn
>>
File: Breetai Color.jpg (334 KB, 974x1539) Image search: [Google]
Breetai Color.jpg
334 KB, 974x1539
>>14213630
Lancer's Rockers a post Invid Invasion book.
>>
File: Breetai.png (453 KB, 350x620) Image search: [Google]
Breetai.png
453 KB, 350x620
>>14210760
Its the same thing every year: Harmony Gold only makes one big "reveal" about something at an enormous convention (usually the NT Comicon) and proceed to run a repeat with the same information on the same shit for an entire tour. Even the fanbase has caught onto to this horsehit, so they don't bother to follow them unless they specifically state they're having guest stars or giving away prizes (which again, is only reserved for their 'large' appearances when they feel like they have something worth talking about).

Supposedly their big showing for this year will be at San Diego Comicon this July where both producers of the proposed movie, Random-Shithead and Mark Canton, will be showing up with the 'latest developments' on where the project is going. Considering how they've been beating around the bush for so long on getting a script finished (seriously, who approaches a big studio with a project with no script, director, or casting choices?) and James Wan sorta 'busy' with other shit that actually exists, this ought to be interesting.
>>
>>14213341
They know who he is, just as they know the existence of the other Macross shows in Japan. I do wonder if they'll deny ever knowing about him on the spot, though, since having not involve him with the very creation they bank from is a pretty big eyesore.

The sad thing is that, unlike Studio Nu or Big West, Kawamori doesn't seem to show any ill-will to Harmony Gold or their development team.
>>
>>14213984
Kawamori is so nice ;-;
>>
File: macek you fucking heeb reeeeeee.png (620 KB, 732x702) Image search: [Google]
macek you fucking heeb reeeeeee.png
620 KB, 732x702
>>14214013
>>
File: keksimus.jpg (96 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
keksimus.jpg
96 KB, 596x628
>>14213094
>Ku Klux Klan
>>
File: 1443846424086.png (487 KB, 659x622) Image search: [Google]
1443846424086.png
487 KB, 659x622
>>14213483
>>14213653
Its interesting that all of the aliens in Robotech got swimsuit entries except the large bears and fox people. Fuck, even the robot got stuffed in a swimsuit.
>>
>>14212789
That goes to prove then that it is no longer an Americlap site.
>>
>>14212991
Nothing like webms, don't be daft.
>>
>>14212548
Yes, ir's been broadcasted in western Europe.
>>
>Robotech
>Robotech is a story adapted with edited content and revised dialogue from the animation of three different mecha anime series:
>1. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
>2. Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
>3. Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

Wait, so this is some Sabanesque mecha series like Power Rangers? Is this stuff even any good?

I mean I could stomach Saban as kid because I hardly paid attention, but watching Mighty Morphin episode 1 as an adult recently was like subjecting my grey matter to a 720 degree four dimensional Dempsey Roll. The cuts were so obviously abrupt they induced vertigo.
>>
>>14214421
>Is this stuff even any good?
Objectively? No.
The only real reason I can see why anyone would want to watch it again is if they grew up with it as a kid and want a hit of nostalgia.
>>
>>14211006
They tried a kickstarter for a new series. Robotech academy or something. I just remember the page being pathetic with next to no info on it other than some bland unfinished looking generic ship designs. They failed to make even half their goal by the time it ended.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.