[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guyver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (248 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
248 KB, 1920x1080
How's this anime?

I've never seen it mentioned or discussed, at least on /a/, so before making a thread there I though it would be more fitting here

My plan was to watch the 2005 anime and then, if I liked it, to jump to the manga
>>
>>14036060
All I know is that he was played by Solid Snake in the live action movie
>>
2005 anime is alright. I've been meaning to read the manga myself. Fun fact, the assault rifles in halo were inspired by the guns in Guyver
>>
It's okay, not as fun as the older OVA though.
>>
>>14036077
Only in the sequel, which is by far the better of the two movies.
>>
File: HURT_ME_MORE_SNAKE.jpg (43 KB, 365x604) Image search: [Google]
HURT_ME_MORE_SNAKE.jpg
43 KB, 365x604
>>14036084
>>14036077
These. Mark Hamill also makes an appearance in the first Live Action.
>>
>>14036084
should I watch the OVA instead?
>>
>>14036083
It is extremely hard to find a clear picture of those.
>>
Really wish to see further translated chapters for this, especially involving the moments of Sho and Aptom become Guyver-Aption
>>
The original OVA didn't age very well, but it has the first tentacle rape scene in anime history, so there's that.

The '89 OVA is pretty good, but it ends on a cliffhanger.

The 2005 anime isn't bad and the new scenes like Sho spending time with his dad are nice, but it also ends on a cliffhanger.

The manga has that whole GA bullshit scanlation policy thing going on that people tend to try and fight every now and again, but give up pretty quickly.
>>
>>14036169
>but it has the first tentacle rape scene in anime history, so there's that

You sure about that?
>>
>>14036169
>that whole GA bullshit scanlation policy
I don't know what that is
>>
>>14036179

Well, first one that isn't explicitly part of a hentai, anyway.
>>
>>14036185

Again, you sure about that?
>>
>>14036181

Guyver Advocacy is the only source of English translated Guyver on the entire internet. You have to prove to them you bought the manga before they give you their translations, or you can buy the translation directly from them for the same cost as a hard copy of the volume.

They claim it's so that only people who buy and support the manga can read it, but that has a little less credibility because of them selling their translations.
>>
File: 2sabgg1.png (76 KB, 308x300) Image search: [Google]
2sabgg1.png
76 KB, 308x300
>>14036192
has anyone told them that they should kill themselves?
>>
>>14036169
>buy manga
>leak it to the Internet for free
>>
>>14036189
I don't think that Anon thinks The Fisherman's Wife is an anime.
>>
I really liked the 89 ovas and it wasn't because of nostalgia because I saw them a couple of years ago. I got hooked instantly on Guyver. I've been wanting to read the manga but there's no point since you can't get current chapters.

I began watching the 2005 anime and so far at episode 3 I think it's much worse than the ovas, I hope it improves.
>>
Does anybody know if there are raws for the Japanese-dubbed versions of both the live action Guyver films? I don't know about the first one but apparently the second one was remastered in Japan and featured additional music not included in the original English dub
>>
>>14038107
Forget I ever said this. I'm probably wrong on this, it seems like the movies were never released on DVD over in Japan
>>
>>14036210

They watermark the files they give you so people can't do that. If they find out you leaked it, they'll blacklist you and everyone you distribute it to.
>>
>>14036192
>>14036199
i thought that the paid translation bullshit was over and you only need to prove that you buy guyver stuff
still bullshit though
>>
>>14036192

Then how come whoever buys the scans doesn't post them online anonymously? Does each buyer get a unique watermark?
>>
>>14036192

No one else has tried to translate Guyver?
>>
>>14038467

Yeah. It is embedded in the pages in a way that you can't see without some clever image manipulation.

>>14038476

People try every now and then, but quickly give up because it's often just one guy. If anyone wanted to actually do it, they'd need a group that would stick together and not bail after a couple of months.
>>
>>14038486
>People try every now and then, but quickly give up because it's often just one guy. If anyone wanted to actually do it, they'd need a group that would stick together and not bail after a couple of months.
I could see either Happy Scans or Hokuto no Gun do it (hell, the latter's SystematicChaos considered the possibility of taking on Emperor of Minami someday, so Guyver would be small beans compared to that).
>>
>>14038486
>It is embedded in the pages in a way that you can't see without some clever image manipulation.

Do you have an example of one such page with the watermark?
>>
>>14036192
>or you can buy the translation directly from them
This shit is no option already. They finished that practice like half a year ago
>>
File: 5fbf5cce2cb8.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5fbf5cce2cb8.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
>>14038501
He can't, or he will be punished by Guyver Advocacy!!!
>>
>>14038552

I meant from someone who was already punished.
>>
>>14038591

So far, it doesn't look like anyone has.

Essentially, I think everyone who gets it is aware that if the scanlations leak, the translator will most likely quit, leaving no translations at all.

So they do the math:

Having Translations + leaking them = No more translations at all, for anyone.

Having translations + not leaking them = Continued translations for people who follow the system

Yeah, it's not a great system, and would be toppled by even ONE other source of the manga. But that simply just doesn't exist at this time.

Thing is, the english Guyver fandom is such a small community that no other group wants to take the time to scanlate the series. It wouldn't be worth the time to do the 2 or 3 full books that need to be done to group with the old scans that the Advocacy did release... And of course no one wants to do the full 32 volumes of manga.

I can only suggest finding a scanlation group that might be a good fit and petition the shit out of them to do it. And attempt to help the best we can... If you know a source for scans/raws, also provide it to them so they don't have to go through the hassle of trying to find it as well.

And maybe, just maybe, it might happen. But simply bitching anonymously on a random board is not going to do it any good.
>>
>>14038870

Where did the scanlations on some manga reading sites come from?
>>
>>14038437
Ok, I buy the entire thing and put it on every site I can find.
>>
Is Guyver still ongoing?
>>
>>14039069
Yes
>>
File: P1350622.jpg (127 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
P1350622.jpg
127 KB, 600x800
>>14038986

From the same people who are still currently translating them... The Guyver Advocacy.

It might have been a change in staff that stopped them from releasing publicly before... Similarly how it's now under new management again, but I dunno for sure.

Volumes 8-29 were released by them in varying quality of both scans and translations... Then when they hit vol 30, they decided to change that.
>>
>>14036060

The 2005 TV series isn't bad... Actually pretty good... Just don't buy into that whole " The New face of Ultra Violence" crap ADV tried to pull.

It's like they were trying to sell the first 6 episodes of the OAV series again.

But even then, the manga isn't even as bloody as the OAV series, so the 2005 TV series is still tonally pretty close.

If one cannot find the earlier manga volumes, the 2005 series is a pretty good way to start. It'll take you into the first couple chapters of Volume 10 of the manga, and covers the majority of the major plot points... skipping some, adding some from other sources, and expanding on some things a younger Takaya wasn't that good with. Plus, more Guyver 2.

The classic OAV intro is still much better though. So play it before every episode of the 2005 TV series.

https://youtu.be/xJLq-1HbZFc
>>
Can someone give me some alternatives likes Guyver? I enjoyed every minute of the 2005 anime and I'm really in search for another one like this.
>>
So I've watched the 80s OVAs and I fucking loved it

the animation was shit, except for the action moments, but the drawings and style was beautiful with how detailed it was, so I didn't mind, also, I was more interested in the story

Now I'll watch the 2005 anime
>>
>>14038870
This, basically. I realized a long time ago that the people who really like guyver and are interested in reading the manga (but can't read moonrunes) are just not going to get their wishes granted because we're just a vocal minority. So I settled for watching every animated entry and buying the figma. Maybe sometime in the distant future the scanlations will become available, but I won't hold my breath.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.