[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this shit so popular in Japan? I'm halfway through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: Seedop1.png (252 KB, 563x423) Image search: [Google]
Seedop1.png
252 KB, 563x423
Why is this shit so popular in Japan? I'm halfway through and finding it almost unbearable to watch.

It's so fucking slow and padded. It's like every time ANYTHING happens, there then needs to be an entire episode afterwards dedicated to every single character angst-ing about it.
>>
>>13929783
If you're hating it that much, now, then the second half will probably drive you insane.
>>
>>13929783
>I'm halfway through and finding it almost unbearable to watch.
Wait for Destiny.
>>
>>13929783
There are numberous reasons why SEED did well, and a few damning ones why they abandoned the timeline after Destiny.

To start with, Gundam changed channels at this time and managed to snag something no other Gundam had before SEED. On TBS, SEED was airing during the Sunday evening timeslot. Friday and Saturday evenings are nice, but Sunday is where it's at. It is one of the most convenient timeslots in all of Nippon.

So with that set, Banrise set about making the most marketable Gundam ever. Announcing the show as the 21st century version of First Gundam managed to snag quite a bit of press. They had popular music artists perform songs for the show, as well as lend their voices to minor characters, in order to cash in on those performer's star power. TM Revolution in particular. Obari posing made the show look epic, while the character designs looked pleasing to the female audience. And at the end of the day, the melodramatic characters were a big hit among teenage girls.

But, this all came at a cost and ultimately, the audience they attracted was not the one Bandai wanted.

(continued)
>>
>>13930058
Believe it or not, they threw even more money at Destiny. They wanted to cash in on SEED's rep asap and money wasn't an issue. This could end up as the new UC.

While Destiny had higher dvd sales, it had noticably lower ratings. Rumors of unsold Gunpla started while the show was airing, and there's on really big reason why.

A large part of SEED's audience was teenage girls, and according to former Bandai president Ueno in 2006 they weren't interested in buying the toys. They were more interested in buying the DVD's and music.

Toy sales made up 21.5 billion yen of SEED's sales, about 2/3s. DVDs and music brought in a combined 12.5 billion. You see the problem here?

Ueno noted that there was major differences between CE and UC fans. Age, gender, the products they buy. He said that in the future, Bandai will have to make products specifically for the teenage girls Gundam attracted.

It's also worth noting that long-term Gundam fans weren't fans of SEED. At the time, they thought the first was too kiddie and have many of the same complaints we do about Destiny.

As one of SEED's producers put it, Gundam wouldn't survive a decade with the status quo the Cosmic era brought. Both said producer and Ueno talked about creating a third fanbase, neither UC or CE, of middle-high schoolers.

That, my friends, is why we have 00.
>>
>>13930084
And 00 was successful in both audience and toys right? You would think that'll be the new UC. I wondered what'll happen to Universal Century if Cosmic Era went well, possibly just OVAs with eventually a crossover, now that's what I'll like go see and yet not see at the same time.
>>
>>13929783
>Why is this shit so popular in Japan?
It appeals greatly to the most autistic part of the anime fandom.
>>
I just want an Astray series, OVA, ONA, movie, anything animated, really.
>>
>>13930218
Wasn't there in the supplemental materials some stuff about an Innovator vs. Human war and another ELS vs. Human war taking place after the movie?

You could make two separate brand-new series about those two conflicts, with whole new casts and designs. Bam, New UC. I wonder why they never tried it.
>>
>>13930258
Would be okay, but you would have to separate Gundams from the Grunts by some way.
>>
>>13930266
Fuck gundams. Who watches Gundam for the gundams? We watch it for the explosions, bright lights, Char clones, and GRUNTS. Gundams are always more or less the same, with the exception of turn A
>>
>>13930281
The gundams aren't for us, it's for the mainstream audience. All I'm saying is that a post-Trailblazer sequel should have unique gundams, by the end of Trailblazer, nothing is really different between your standard Grunt and a Gundam
>>
>>13930218
>possibly just OVAs with eventually a crossover
>Banana and Kira battling through time and retconning Turn-A out of existence

Never knew how much I wanted this. What an unlikely boon.
>>
>>13930244
>the most autistic part of the anime fandom
The largest part of it?
>>
>>13930302
>Fighting Black History Turn A through time with Banagher
>Kira from Destiny ends up in SEED's final battle
How are we so sure he won't kill Rau, once he shows up?
>>
>>13930310
Imagine Rau in the Turn X. It gives me the shivers
>>
>>13930295
There's still room to make the Gundams different. CB or its equivalent could have some new type of GN drive, or only their mechs can teleport (imagine some sort of crazy teleporting ninja Gundam), or they've got access to ELS-like shapeshifting so you've got straight-up biomechanical Gundams.

Hell, you could have an OVA about Setsuna's adventures through time and space. There's still room in 00's universe.
>>
>>13930339
>Setsuna's adventures through time and space

He somehow gets into UC and sees the RX78 and proceeds to fuck it up, and it alters the UC timeline soooo hard
>>
>>13930350
>ends up in W Universe
Proceeds to team up with Heero
>>
>>13929783
People will say hurr japan has shit taste but it was popular among the 13 year old and fujoshit crowd
>>
>>13930355
Add Sousuke Sagara and we have autistm running strong in SRW
>>
>>13930306
A large part.
>>
>>13930252
there are those 2 five minute shorts they did about the red and blue frame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7Z07BWBG0
>>
>>13930302
What do you mean battling the Turn-A?they're going to go steal every fiance and Love interest there is, and split them amongst themselves.
>>
>>13930373
I wouldn't say Setsuna's autistic, it's probably PTSD.

>>13930355
> Setsuna confuses Relena for Marina, things get awkward.
>>
>>13930409
What, who said Autistics can't have PTSD?
>>
>>13930302
>Banagher meeting ZZ's Mineva
Oh boy. This would be funny.
>>
>>13929783
>It's so fucking slow and padded. It's like every time ANYTHING happens, there then needs to be an entire episode afterwards dedicated to every single character angst-ing about it.
I thought you were talking about Destiny but that's definitely SEED.
>>
>>13930058
>Obari posing made the show look epic
After SEED I don't want to see any of Obari posing in a serious Gundam show ever.
>>
>>13929783

Things get better halfway through, but yeah it's pretty slow.

SEED is slow, but it's decent.
SEED Destiny is breakneck pace, and it sucks ass.
>>
>>13930817
>Things get better halfway through
You can't be serious.
>>
>>13930817
>SEED Destiny is breakneck pace
How can that possibly be worse than SEED?
>>
File: 1392705229100_zps0de9bd01.jpg (606 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
1392705229100_zps0de9bd01.jpg
606 KB, 960x1440
>>13930218
The movie sort of put a bow on the whole setting though, there's not really anywhere else for the plot to go. Unless we take this shit interstellar.
>>
>>13930851
by being retarded.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Why is this shit so popular in Japan? I'm halfway through and finding it almost unbearable to watch.

It's so fucking slow and padded. It's like every time ANYTHING happens, there then needs to be an entire episode afterwards dedicated to every single shot of robots being reused
>>
>>13930885
Wing isn't that popular in Japan though.
>>
>>13930860
Maybe they'd try to find where that space whale went.

And go space whaling. And then we can have the Outsider give the Natural MC Newtype haxs to keep even footing with the Innovade rival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urV8MIcLDFk
>>
>>13930258

I think that would be too Macross-ey
>>
>>13930350
>He somehow gets into UC and sees the RX78 and proceeds to fuck it up, and it alters the UC timeline soooo hard

So... the Star Trek reboot?

I can dig it. Instead of expies, we get Alternate Zeons
>>
>>13930929
Wing is about the 5th most popular Gundam series after the original generation and SEED. It is at a similar level of popularity among mid-90s anime after Evangelion and Sailor Moon. Nearly any Japanese female anime fan that was between 12 and 18 when it aired is a Wing fan.

Yes, it is. It wasn't as well monetized as SEED and it was somewhat less noteworthy because of the state of anime in their respective time periods but its popularity was similar.
>>
File: 1455605708664.png (367 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455605708664.png
367 KB, 640x480
>>13929783
Because every Nip mans fantasy is watching his best friend cuck him
>>
>>13930964
Everytime I see polls from Japan, it goes something like this.

0079 > Zeta > SEED > 00 > Wing = Destiny.
>>
>>13930084
>in the future, Bandai will have to make products specifically for the teenage girls Gundam attracted.

I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason that Build Fighters exists, and why they're trying to market the Bearguy so hard. I don't know how successful they've been with that attempt though.
>>
>>13929783
You're really going to hate Turn-A and IBO then as they are even SLOWER.
>>
>>13936144
>Turn-A
>slower than SEED
Are you fucking retarded? Turn-A has constant character building and plot development.
>>
>>13930258
>I wonder why they never tried it.
Aside from the story having pretty much wrapped, the writer and director mentioned in an interview that while 00 was successful in attracting the young adult audience (mostly male), it didn't fare too well with kids. That's why Sunrise went back to the drawing board with AGE.
>>
>>13936166
nope
>>
>>13936597
Yep. You're confusing the relaxed atmosphere of Turn-A with slow pacing. Turn-A doesn't fill the majority of its episode length with flashbacks, stock footage and eight thousand scenes of the characters crying.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>13936091
>reason
Confirmed for emotionally unstable if you don't like Beargguy. Beargguy is love, Beargguy is life.

The only Western males I've met that like SEED were raised with either no father figure or a cuck dad. Basically the target audience of SEED, young girls or unwashed boys that own love pillows and/or are furries.
>>
>>13937203
Let me remind you that Seed is the AU that's the closest to the original the most.
>>
>>13937203
Prime92 is transgender and loves SEED and 00.
>theory confirmed
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>13937210
>closest
>because marketing materials
>uses full Kawaii animation style
>10000 hours of boys crying
>Amuro just needed a good slap to prompt him to be a killing machine.
Mighty fine story my good sir.
>>
>>13937210
>Seed is the AU that's the closest to the original the most
You mean it ripped off the plot. In terms of story-telling techniques and writing, the two shows couldn't be more different.
>>
>>13937238
>>Amuro just needed a good slap to prompt him to be a killing machine.

No anon. Bright slapping him just pissed him off.

It took Fraw telling Amuro that she would fly Gundam to get him off his ass, because he knows girls can't fly Gundam and he wanted to protect Fraw.

"Bright slap" is a White Base needs salt tier meme.
>>
When Amuro has that conversation with Frau near the end of the series ("We haven't spoken to eachother like this in a while have we".), it just makes you realize how different he (and her, and everyone) is by the end of the series. From whiny teens to young adults, doing what they can with the hands they've been dealt. Its human. They cant end an entire world war, they can just merely survive it.

By the end of SEED and into Destiny, Kira's become more like this idealized concept than a human feeling character to me.

Its like comparing a war story to superhero drama imo.
>>
>>13937238
>>13937253
The Bright slap is supposed to show Bright's inexperience and poor ability to handle the situation. He resorts to "fucking man up you baby" and hitting him because he can't think of a good way to deal with Amuro.
>>
>>13936587
>trying to please everyone at once

Yeah, that's surely not a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>13930420
I read somewhere that they can't. Autistic soldiers that have PTSD have it because of their poor childhoods and nothing to do with war. Don't quote me on it though.
>>
File: 1454545437815.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1220) Image search: [Google]
1454545437815.jpg
388 KB, 1200x1220
>>13930929
Nah W is pretty popular even beyond just being Gundam. All those spinoffs and sequels it gets aren't just for show.
>>
>>13929783
character design and shitty romance
>>
>>13937347
>Its like comparing a war story to superhero drama imo.
this
>>
>>13929783
"Ooooh it's so unbearable to watch! My taste is so sophisticated!" then don't watch it, faggot. Nobody gives a shit about your whining, and neither your opinion nor your taste are special.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.