[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite Transformers gen, /m/? For me it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 19
What's your favorite Transformers gen, /m/?

For me it's Cybertron followed by Armada and G1 purely because of nostalgia
>>
File: KP001.jpg (122 KB, 478x323) Image search: [Google]
KP001.jpg
122 KB, 478x323
Animated for characters

Prime for setting

Beast wars for story
>>
Animated
>>
Might get a little hate for this, but IDW-gen is my favorite if that counts. The later move away from Earth and focus on Cybertronian tactics, lifestyle, and near war's end/post war climate is my favorite TF work.
The really early nuG1 -Ation stuff was pretty weak, but it was good setup.
>>
Should I read the comics? I dont even know where to start
>>
File: 1419411347243.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1419411347243.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>13539094
>even having to ask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI0Pzu-uAc&list=PL3lb98kB-PsHx1K-MGz8ldLYA2_t8w3Yd

I bet you don't fight with your burning spirit, either.
>>
>>13539094
Beast Wars, but also have a soft spot for Animated, though I haven't actually watched it since it first aired.

Shame I couldn't watch BW as a kid, would've made for some nice childhood memories.
>>
>>13539127
Longpost incoming
If you want Marvel start at "Number 1 in a 4 issue limited series," it actually went to 80 issues and is the root of a lot of lore and characteris alongside the first few shows. It's pretty dated though, everyone is always miscolored, off-model, or barely even drawn.

I don't have a guide handy for modern IDW, but if you can look up "IDW Transformers publication order" I recommend starting from Infiltration and going from there.
IDW is a completely different continuity from Marvel, but is an expansive amalgamation of the entire IDW canon. If you don't like the typical human sidekick angle you can skip to All Hail Megatron and Last Stand of the Wreckers, they're just as accessible and "Shit is seriously going down" over the beginning setup minis.
>>
>>13539169
Fuck I meant to quote you
>>13539155
Not myself
>>
File: optimus obari as fuck.jpg (67 KB, 470x534) Image search: [Google]
optimus obari as fuck.jpg
67 KB, 470x534
2000 RiD, Energon, and Armada.
I fuckin love combining and super modes.
>>
>>13539094

Animated, followed by Beast Wars, followed by G1.
>>
File: smug organic face.jpg (126 KB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
smug organic face.jpg
126 KB, 592x448
>>13539094
beast machines :^)
>>
G1 has honestly aged terribly. If anything best Transformers are not cartoons but rather stuff like the Cybertron games and IDWverse. I am watching the Prime cartoon right now and I guess it's not bad. Who would have thought Blum would end up as my favorite Starscream?
>>
>>13539926
Blumscream's great.

He's got so much range but rarely is allowed to use it. Its kind of sad.
>>
>>13539094
What does Rescue Bots fall under?

Because that's been one of my favorite TF shows surprisingly.
>>
>>13540003
Rescue Bots is pretty great if one gets over the "not muh dark and mature robot war cartoon" mentality, which sadly much of this fandom seems to be incapable of doing.
>>
>>13539127
The -ation series are better than the current series, I think. Barber is still fantastic, but I think Roberts has gotten a bit off the mark. MtMtE lost its touch for me.
>>
>>13539836
Please no
>>
>>13540423
MTMTE jumped the shark imo during the Alt Lost Light arc, when he brought back Rewind, essentially throwing away all Chromedome's character development up to that point, for no reason other than pandering to shippers. Everything since then has been self-indulgent nonsense. Even the recent Scavenger arc, while enjoyable, had a PSA-like lecture on mental illness awkwardly shoehorned into the middle of the story. Oh, and it added another useless subplot that Roberts probably won't touch on again for at least another 30 issues.
>>
>>13539156
I kept trying to watch that, but Fire Convoy is pretty milktoast and not the hotblooded hero the internet makes him out to be for some reason.

Star Saber, on the other hand, fits the bill. Victory is probably the best part of G1.

Animated is still the best at everything tho
>>
>>13539169
Thnx desu
>>
>>13539094
I will always love G1, despite how cheesy and dated it is. In terms of the best series, however, that would probably go to Beast Wars, with Animated a close second.

For the Unicron Trilogy, I like Cybertron the best. It's actually pretty good once you get past the racing arc in the first quarter that drags on forever. Armada had a weak start and great finish, with probably the best incarnation of Starscream ever. And Energon was just shit no matter which language you watch it in.
>>
File: TFA-is-the-best-shot-2.jpg (26 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
TFA-is-the-best-shot-2.jpg
26 KB, 300x360
>>13542203
>Animated is still the best at everything tho

except fucking ARTWORK
>>
I know people love to hate on Dreamwave and Pat Lee -- hell, I do too -- but I really, really liked their comics. I mean, dat War Within... dat Sunstorm vs Jetfire... dat Don Figueroa... sigh. Such a waste.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>13543858
I must be the only person that likes superlink
>Humans are useful
>Grunt and Worker-class transformers
>Mandatory kid-buddy is actually useful
>Multiple Factions
>Characters struggling with conflicting loyalties
>Unicorn is not just a power-hungry planet
>Convoy has character development
>Galvatron has character development
It wasn't the best, but it tried to take Japanese transformers production beyond the cookie cutter template they've used since Masterforce.
>>
File: pl2.jpg (74 KB, 550x444) Image search: [Google]
pl2.jpg
74 KB, 550x444
>>13543890

Fuck, I barely remember Super Link. However, you're right about it being good at handling humans. And while I wasn't crazy about how the toys were executed, the gimmick (super linking) was very cool and fun.
>>
File: mirage13.jpg (100 KB, 650x598) Image search: [Google]
mirage13.jpg
100 KB, 650x598
>>13543901
>I wasn't crazy about how the toys were executed

Correction: I wasn't crazy about how SOME of the toys were executed. Mirage... Landmine... Galvatron... those are great toys.
>>
>>13543882
I didn't mind the art style, but the animation was more often than not really sub-par. These character models were meant to perform sleek and smooth movements and fancy action, not the choppy, stiff and often misdrawn low grade shit we actually got. I love Animated but this I could never get over.
>>
>>13543890
The problem with Super Link wasn't the concepts but rather the legendarily halfassed execution, such as characters' conflicts being "resolved" by them getting their minds and personalities wiped, never to bring up their issues again. It's like the creator gave up less than halfway through. Even the show sorta poked fun at itself by declaring in the final ep that something cool has finally happened.

The godawful CGI didn't make matters better, and fuck the even more spectacularly mishandled localization.
>>
File: 250px-Ani-MainframeModel.jpg (21 KB, 250x382) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ani-MainframeModel.jpg
21 KB, 250x382
>>13543941
>I didn't mind the art style

Goddamnit, I wish I could say the same.

I know TF Animated is extremely well written and directed, but dat visual style.

I mean... Jesus fucking Christ on a crusty crutch.
>>
>>13544008
Not my favorite design style but I can see its appeal. The simpleness feels sorta elegant without reducing the characters to dull looking box-people, and I admire that they managed to give them so many unique silhouettes. Even their looks have personality. I guess some would say it's an example of the "less is more" school of design, knowing how much detail to add or no to add, and where to put in curves, edges, symbols and stuff to make everyone recognizable both as their own distinct characters and as reimaginings of past-gen characters, but at the same time come off feeling fresh and unique. I'm assuming that's sorta where the appeal lies for so many of its fans, not like I know half a shit about the intricacies of art and character design, so I could be way off the mark.

I just wish the animation had put the style to good use, make it feel stylish and sleek instead of lazy and cheap. Visually, much of the show was very counterintuitive and counterproductive. Also wasn't a fan of certain reinterpretations (Mixmaster looked more like a human with truck parts stuck on), nor the overly cartoony, caricature-esque visage they gave many characters.
>>
>>13544008

Honestly the writing wasn't that hot. The show massively repeated itself with aesops and basically reused the same climax twice, and all the women in the show besides Sari got the short end of the stick.

Also "I can't use this armor because it's bad for me but now I can because unspecified character growth" will never not be totally a shit excuse.
>>
A R M A D A
R
M
A
D
A
>>
>>13539127

This. Seconded

The Simon Furman era is like you said, a set-up. But I really like Mike Costa's run. It was great. In fact, the current comics are the best transformers has been in a while. Looking forward to All Hail Optimys and the Dying of the Light.
>>
>>13544008
The kind of style animated goes for is both very cartoony, and also dynamic, I'll say. Its characters have this design that always make them look like they're in the middle of some kind of action, even when they're standing still, and of course they tend to be incredibly expressive, a lot moreso than previous or future Transformers would be. It felt like the characters were saying things with their whole bodies instead of just the face, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, helicopter Megatron is best Megatron, and that is all.
>>
>Dat Unicron trilogy Cybertron Starscream taking on all the autobots and Optimus and doesnt job compared to other incarnations

>Cyber key powers are actually cool power ups

I also liked Animated and BW as well as Bayformers 1 and 2
>>
File: TFA Team Athenia.jpg (110 KB, 683x410) Image search: [Google]
TFA Team Athenia.jpg
110 KB, 683x410
I personally lean to Animated for the show and current IDW for comics.
>>
Armada,

But my ultimate favorite transformers anything is the IDW comics. Dem designs OMFG orgasmic
>>
>>13539836
Gotta be honest, I kinda love Beast Machines, even if I can't accept it as a true follow-up to Wars.
>>
>>13544238
>Anyway, helicopter Megatron is best Megatron, and that is all.

I agree with you on that one. A helicopter is what his altmode should always be.
>>
File: e-mad crasher.png (475 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
e-mad crasher.png
475 KB, 1200x1500
>>
>>13540394
>Rescue Bots is pretty great if one gets over the "not muh dark and mature robot war cartoon" mentality

I wonder if they parodied that with Heatwave constantly trying to get on the battlefield early on in the show.
>>
File: 139617.jpg (205 KB, 1150x800) Image search: [Google]
139617.jpg
205 KB, 1150x800
>>13543889
War Within was great. Loved Don's work in Dreamwave and early IDW.

Does Don still do TF stuff these days? I know he deleted his DA awhile back.

Anyway, to be on topic...Super God Masterforce, Victory, Beast Wars, Galaxy Force and Prime are my favorites.
>>
>>13550727
Damn. Are you me? Superior taste, anon!
>>
File: DOTM_Wreckers.jpg (92 KB, 720x425) Image search: [Google]
DOTM_Wreckers.jpg
92 KB, 720x425
People are gonna fucking hate me, but I rather like the live-action movies setting. It has a lot going for it.
>>
File: shockwave tfa hammer.gif (2 MB, 420x281) Image search: [Google]
shockwave tfa hammer.gif
2 MB, 420x281
>>
>>13550765
>setting
That's acceptable.
>>
>>13550765
sadly people who made it don't really give much shit about it. It had potential the director had different mindset about it
>>
As a kid it was the Unicron trilogy, FUCK THAT! G1 (including the movie and "seasons" 3,4 &5) is da bes. Animated and Prime were also pretty great even if the did show to much optimouth.
>>
Victory, headmasters, masterforce, prime. Starsaber is the true cybertron sheriff
>>
Honestly the best Transformers experiences I've had were with G1, but I revisited the series about a year ago and now, it is pretty terrible.

However the Cybertron games perfectly captured how my nostalgia viewed G1/G2, and I love those for that.

Just a shame the Rise of the Dark Spark tied the Cybertron games to the Bayverse, that pissed me off.
>>
G1 Furman.
>>
File: psgtf[1].jpg (218 KB, 1280x1442) Image search: [Google]
psgtf[1].jpg
218 KB, 1280x1442
This one.
>>
>>13557056
man the robot fucking scene with the obari-esque bot always cracks me up
>>
>>13557072
Screencapped for you, friend.
>>
IMO Beast Wars > Animated > Prime, everything else was japanese imported transformation sequence padding fests. Most of them didn't have much story beyond beat the bad guy.
>>
>>13557161
Too bad the way western productions work means that they have no idea when they'll be cancelled or renewed for a new season.

As a result, they have unsatisfying conclusions with many plot threads hanging.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.