[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So. What are good series to get your SO into mecha? My GF knows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
So. What are good series to get your SO into mecha?
My GF knows about my collection and seemed a bit interested at it but I never got far in explaining about the series or characters. She definitely likes anime (recently got her to watch Ore Monogatari and she loved it) but has zero knowledge about mecha other than some old ass toku that aired here so I'm a bit unsure if something like the original Gundam would be a deal breaker.
>>
>>14394225
Not every girl is the same. They are people just like you and me, with different personalities and varying taste in anime.

What does she like? If she is more impressed by the writing and direction of a series you could start her off with more classic series like Mobile Suit Gundam, VOTOMs, Giant Robo (OVA), etc

If she's more into contemporary anime aka weeaboo garbage like Attack on Titan or whatever else is airing on Adult Swim then maybe try showing her more shiny stuff like Evangelion, Gundam Seed, TTGL, Eureka 7 or Code Geass
>>
I'd try Macross DYRL or escaflowne
Really though none of us know her as well as you do. We can't really make a recommendations on what she wants unless you tell us what you know she likes in the first place. You gave us one romance anime she liked that's not really a lot to go on. Romance is also a catch all genre.

It took me way too long to figure out SO wasn't the word so sarcastically, but significant other.
>>
>>14394263
How many mecha series out there use romance as a main plot point, anyway? Other than Macross, Eureka 7 and Brain Powerd I'm having a hard time thinking of any where it's not just subplot.
>>
I have a theory that Full Metal Panic is the number one best starter mecha show. Its animation is modern enough to palatable to the modern anime viewer and passable for enthusiasts of older shit. It's got a good story for the plotfags and dumb romcom hijinks for those that are used to that kind of pandering (and yet, it never went over the line into annoying, at least for me). It has some cool, quirky characters and a bunch of interesting fights. Even those that involve the Lambda Driver can get pretty creative.

It has appeal to just about anyone, but unlike Code Geass, which is similar in that regard, it can be enjoyed unironically.
>>
>>14394251
>If she's more into contemporary anime
>Evangelion

Anon, Evangelion was 20 years ago.
>>
>>14394288
the three ln harem power armor shows, G in the 2nd half it becomes pretty important, the aquarions, 08th MS, it's not a very large list when you think about it.
>>
>>14394251
>Giant Robo (OVA)
That's an example of good direction, not good writing, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>14394288
>>14394307
I wouldn't go with a "she's a girl so she must like romance" angle. Godannar is a series about romance but I wouldn't show it as a starter level mecha, especially to a SO.

FMP is a good starter series like >>14394302 said, it's casual-friendly without being cringeworthy. If she likes 90s series, how about Escaflowne?
>>
Don't girls generally like Gundam? I wouldn't know since I don't talk to them, but I've heard that before.
>>
>>14394330
Well the show we got was ore monotgare, that's kinda the only angle we were given. Also that list was really more just trying to think of shows with romance as a major function.

Personally, I think FMP is a pretty smart starting ground for anyone. Though I recommend patlabor to anyone before anything else usually.
>>
>>14394338

Depending on age, they're generally thinking of Wing, SEED, or 00

So yeah some are into Gundam and those Gundams serve as a gateway to other giant robot shit
>>
>>14394225
Legend of Blue Wolves is the only right answer. Anything else >>>/wsr/
>>
>>14394338
Gundam is universally enjoyed, it seems. I usually only date girls who like anime because I meet them at cons and they typically enjoy the newer AU Gundams like 00, IBO and Build Fighters.
>>
File: IGPX DVD.jpg (267 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
IGPX DVD.jpg
267 KB, 1013x1500
IGPX is a rather safe, yet fantastic, option to consider, too.
>>
>>14394338
>>14394353
As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't use a show with more than 26 episodes as a gateway series.

Watching a long show is good when you know it's something you like, but if you go "here, you're going to love this, whole 47 episodes of it" then you'll just end up scaring her off.
>>
>>14394325
>bad writing

Hi mattress girlish gook.
>>
OP here. Yeah, I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but what worries me is the series being off-putting. I fucking love VOTOMS, but I'm not sure if the themes would interest her (actually, if you think about it, VOTOMS is a series with a major romance plot somewhere). It doesn't need to be a romance series but I think that would fit her taste better.
On the other hand, I'd really like to introduce her to the concept, so something like FMP or Escaflowne seems reasonable before moving to core 80s classics. Maybe Patlabor?
>>
The Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy. Why hasn't this been mentioned yet?
>>
>>14394225
Did she watch and like E7?

If not, try that. It got my gf into anime.
>>
>>14394306
There's Rebuild but that doesn't have an ending yet.
>>
>>14394382
It's an amalgamation of most of his past works. It's great, but the writing is mostly asspulls. Cool asspulls that don't work against the story but if she's a plotfag then there will be issues. Especially if the bitch don't know bout my WUXIA.
>>
Gundam Build Fighters. The show is funny, simple and light-hearted. My wife is now seriously into gunpla thanks to GBF and is a better builder than I will ever be.

Watched the entire run of Aldnoah Zero and Cross Ange with her too. Good times, /m/en.
>>
>>14394397
I wouldn't recommend watching Rebuild to anyone.
>>
>>14394394
Because
>Go watch 3 shows with dated 80s animation and that are all over 30 episodes each, GF!

is not a good way to get someone to anything. Hell, why stop there? Why not recommend the entire Mazinger trilogy as an entry point alongside it?
>>
>>14394225

Let her pick out something

don't give her a starter show

just show her your collection and let her pick something out on her own

the more you force it on them the less they'll want to get into it
>>
>>14394384
Don't do Patlabor TV to start, I'd say, but if she likes fun then it's a good idea. The OVAs are fun without going a little too long at some parts. Granted, once she loves Patlabor she can appreciate it being long, but for a beginner it could be an issue.

Also /r/ dubbed mecha anime for a friend. For some reason he wanted to get into anime and I want to push him towards good taste but he will only watch dubs and so far has thoroughly enjoyed masterpieces such as Clannad, Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, and similar fare. I also don't want to be a dick and say that his taste is shit and that he'd better improve it NOW because we were all plebs at on point. I just want him to be a pleb for as short as possible without forcing opinions down his throat. And I'd prefer he didn't become a TTGL fag or something either. Any ideas?
>>
girls have been into Gundam since Char was naked and Garma said ooh not in front of the men

>>14394225
try talking to her about what she likes in fiction, then work from there
>>
>>14394431
>he will only watch dubs
I think you have a lost cause on your hands.
>>
>>14394416
I think he means the 0079 compilation movies. Still not a good idea, though.
>>
oh yeah, MADOX-01 is a fun little short thing, that might be worth considering

yeah look for short runtimes
getting somebody into something with six hours of anything is an uphill battle, that's why ZO is a good fist bugman, it's quick and to the point
>>
>>14394438
For now, anon, for now. As soon as he realizes that cool shit hasn't been dubbed, he'll be forced to watch a subbed series and I can work from there.
>>
>>14394448
Yeah, that's why I generally recommend Gunbuster first for someone coming to this board seeking recommendations

I just hesitate to do so for someone much more casual since it's old, there's no dub available, and some people might not enjoy 80s cheese. These are things you have to get used to or even appreciate if you seek to become a mecha fan, but for someone who may not even be all that interested to begin with, I can't say it's a good idea.
>>
>>14394431
The Big O has a fairly good dub.
>>
>>14394225
E7 is a pretty great entry show I think. Who doesn't love giant surfing mechs, an awesome intro, awesome animation, and a nice colour palette all mixed with a fun story. I haven't met anyone (outside of /m/) that doens't like that show
>>
>>14394431
Again, I shill IGPX. the dub is amazing.
>>
>>14394467
It's a very westaboo show in many ways; I'm fairly sure it was intended to be watched in English regardless. And besides, I think the dub is better than the original. Roger is a bit more emotive while Dorothy is a bit less emotive and more obviously mechanical, which is more on point for both characters
>>
>>14394467
This, right here. I know that noir is not everybody's thing, but IMO, The Big O is the Bebop of mecha - yery good direction, production, and art, great story, it's not so long that newer viewers will lose interest before it gets involved and they get invested.
>>
File: 1413857489419.gif (432 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1413857489419.gif
432 KB, 500x375
>>14394225
G-Reco. Tomino understands the female species better than any anime director.
>>
>>14394522
Better character animation than the entire run of IBO.

Anyone got the GIF of Bellri (or was it Klim?) jumping into a hatch in the background and the way he moves is perfect? The gravity feels so right. I wish I still had the show downloaded.
>>
>>14394325
>giant robo
>not excellent writing

I kek'd
>>
Oddly enough, I got my mother to watch Gurren Lagann with me one weekend. It was the dub and she was skeptical until Nia entered the picture. I think she found Nia's straightforward/naive nature to be endearing.

If there's a character you know of that you think your SO's personality would mesh with/appeal to him or her, I'd try out that series first.
>>
>>14394225
What the fuck is an SO?
Sick otter?
Silly ostrich?
Serene obelisk?
sad obstruction?

Well anyway I'm guessing it's a person. If it is, here's how you get them into it:

0. Write a list of easy shows like: GBF, G00, TTGL, or Gunbuster.
...*Make sure to include multiple different franchises/storylines
1. Ask them once "will you watch [first show on list]?"
2. If they display interest:
...A. SUCCESS, your job is done.
3. Else:
...A. Wait one month
...B. Cycle to next show on list
...C. Go back to step one

When you can't complete 3B because there are no shows on the list left, you have failed and they will never watch mecha. It simply is not for them.

I have tried this technique on three of my seven friends, and have determined:
>one has no interest at all
>one was already a gundam fan but doesn't care about non-gundam
>one was a *normal anime* watcher and became interested in MD Geist and GB, so success (already a Rebuild fan, but eh)
>>
>>14394567
quick change:
3B should say "remove first show on list from list" instead of what it does say. The logic works this way and sorry for any confusion :-)
>>
>>14394567
>What the fuck is an SO?

It's "Significant Other"
essentially a bf/gf, fiancé, or spouse
>>
>>14394585
oh ok, so what I said still works
>>
>>14394567
Significant Otter.
>>
>>14394591
absolutely. especially "Sad Obstruction"
>>
>>14394225
really depends on her tastes in other media like >>14394251
said
Eureka seven is safe, but it's pretty long, you could show her something like FMP if she's already comfortable with standard anime stuff like highschool settings and slapstick humor, plus it has the romance subplot.

honestly I don't think I can find a series that balances mecha with other anime cliches as well as FMP so I'd just go with that, then you can ease her into stuff like 08th ms and macross frontier (if she's okay with idol stuff)
>>
Eureka 7 is really good as a BF/GF show
I know a lot of girls that like Gatchaman Crowds
>>
>>14394225
G-Reco. Worked with my sis.
>>
>>14394416
Oh this is for a GF? Bad idea, OP. You will regret it.
>>
>>14394431
Casshern Sins has a great dub.
>>
>>14394225
Probably have better luck than with my ex. She watched alot of shit I wouldn't touch like KLK and her favorite film was PacRim so I tried to get her into the genre with something completely simple like TTGL and she never got into it.
>>
FLCL counts as /m/ right?
>>
>>14394225

What most people fail to realize is that mecha is a setting. NOT a story. So pick a good series period that just happens to have mecha.

That is the key.
>>
>>14394306

TOO RECENT NOT LIKE WHAT I WATCHED WHEN I WAS FIRST INTRODUCED TO ANIME CASUAL SCUM REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>14394225
Eureka 7?

Girls might like that one.
>>
>>14396223
Oh and maybe Last exile or Scrapped princess.

Thing is, giant robots usually doesn't appeal to women.
>>
>>14394225
Escaflowne is popular with women so I'd suggest that.
>>
>>14396230
Are you calling Megas XLR a liar?
>>
File: 1465345140274.jpg (90 KB, 597x720) Image search: [Google]
1465345140274.jpg
90 KB, 597x720
>>14394384
My gf watched 08th ms team and was dtf after. She thinks robots are cute like r2d2 and bb8, bastion, etc. Since then shes gotten to where zaku are her favorite and she's watching kamen rider with me now. Her favorites so far are amazon and drive, she likes the talking belt.
>>
You want something that is relatively short (so as not to be a complete drag if she doesn't like it) not super old (you don't want to scare her away with old shitty animation when she isn't invested in the genre yet) and generally kind of safe (nothing full of ultragore or excessive fanservice).

You could probably get away with something like Gargantia or Macross Zero. Both of those are decent and uncomplicated self contained stories that don't require a research assignment to get into. While not as short, the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series is pretty great and really western accessible.

You can got a little bit older in the animation department, but only if the show in question is rock-solid. Like, a 10/10 show that just happens to be a little older. I wouldn't put the original Gundam in this category, its good but its not THAT good.

Your best bet is to probably come up with a handful of different options, roughly describe their premise to her, and then let her pick one from that list to give a try. Don't try and show her your entire collection, she won't have any context and thats how you end up being obligated to show her Valvave.
>>
>>14396374
>Macross Zero
>decent
>Not fucking full of shitty old animation
You off your meds?
>>
>>14396399
> My opinions are facts and your opinions are not, so there!

Yawn.
>>
Start her off with Samurai Flamenco. Just go for it. Like the first time you asked her out or kissed her or told her you loved her. It was scary to try, but then everything got even better.

Watching Samurai Flamenco with a woman is the next step (can come after kissing but before sex, or after sex, but if you watch it together before you've even kissed, that's fucked up).
>>
>>14396433
Are you actually denying that Macross Zero looks like shit? It has aged worse than 80s animation with its awful CGI
>>
>>14394225
Just remember that for a mecha newbie one of the hardest things can be telling all the different robots apart and/or keeping up with the action scenes. Not to be sexist but it could be extra challenging for a girl.
I tried to introduce my sister to /m/ trough the MSG trilogy and , not to discourage you, but she seemed to find it old and boring and she couldn't quite keep up with the battles and the whole political situation and why anyting was happening at all and the harder I tried to explain to her the intricacies of the stoty and the characters the more disinterested she seemed to be.
Also I personally would go for something that has emotional impact rather than something that is just fun. It tends to leave a stronger impression especially for a girl, not to be sexist, again. Something like 0080 or Gunbuster for example.
Escaflowne also sounds nice. It's solid, easy to keep up with and combines shoujo and /m/ elements very well.
Also if she doesn't care for anime that much Eva might actually impress her. It tends to do that a lot for some reason.
Otherwise anything mainstream enough should be all right.
>>
>>14396522

Sorry /m/, but you are not exactly know for your impartiality here. /m/ is well known for shitting on any and all forms of CG for the crime of being CG while at the same time giving old off model as fuck animation a pass because its 'part of its charm' or 'they deserve extra slack because they had no budget'.

I can't take you seriously complaining about the CG when for all I know you are the same guy who sees modern movie-quality CG and shitposts about

> PS1 era graphics
>>
>>14394406
>amalgamation of most of his past works
>asspulls
It's not anything worse than Kingdom Hearts, which I'm more than sure females still like.
>>
File: 768px-Age_warning_symbol.svg.png (58 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
768px-Age_warning_symbol.svg.png
58 KB, 768x768
>>14394567
sad onion?
>>
>>14396588
The off model shit sticks out much less than CG in this case. This isn't like seeing something that looks weird for a few frames, this is like seeing 2D anime cutouts in the middle of playing DOOM
>>
>>14396285
Yes. As a rule, chicks do not dig giant robots.
>>
>>14394408
>Watched the entire run of Cross Ange with her
Damn, that must have been quite a ride.
>>
>>14396959
An Ashens fan, I see.
>>
>>14394288
>>14394307

Gundam X is pretty romance focused.
>>
>>14394251
>Not every girl is the same. They are people just like you and me, with different personalities and varying taste in anime.
MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP
>>
I tried Escaflowne first since my fiancé enjoys castaway fantasy movies and she loved it. Since I had one good one, she trusted my tastes so I went with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Loved OS (and found out she loves Firefly so finding similarity was easy), refuses to watch Bebop ever again because Spike dies.

Same deal with TTGL. Loved the entire ride until Nia dies, never wants to watch it again. I started to see a pattern... Gunbuster worked but I haven't tried Diebuster because Nono is gonna die at the end.
>>
File: bellri-smile2.jpg (6 KB, 183x183) Image search: [Google]
bellri-smile2.jpg
6 KB, 183x183
>>14396042
>Worked with my sis.
I bet it did.
>>
>>14394225
I showed DYRL to my GF and she loved it. Worked so well that she's interested in seeing more mecha, even tho she's not that close to an anime fan...
>>
G Gundam would probably be a decent choice.
>>
File: 1380051529152.jpg (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1380051529152.jpg
178 KB, 500x500
>>14394394
>>14394416
I mean, that's a good way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Would you marry a woman who COULDN"T be like a mother to you?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.