[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT your top three mecha animes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 16
File: 2516546484894894.jpg (173 KB, 1400x710) Image search: [Google]
2516546484894894.jpg
173 KB, 1400x710
Personal favorites. Give reasons if you want.
>>
File: Qubeley.jpg (235 KB, 900x698) Image search: [Google]
Qubeley.jpg
235 KB, 900x698
>>14378469

In no particular order.

>Turn A Gundam

Just the right mix of comfy world building, good characters, nice aesthetic, and dynamic combat scenes. Loran was a pacifist MC done right, and Diana was one of the best characters I've seen in an animated film. Also

> UNIVAAAAAAAAAAAAS

>Brain Powerd

Thematically this is Tomino turned up to 11, and boy is it done well. Once in a while things get confusing, but not as much as people have claimed in the past, it is easy to figure out if you just sit down and think about it a bit. Jonathan Glenn is the best antagonist in the genre, the guy is fucking psycho in the best way possible. The mecha design, general aesthetic, and setting is all really unique and well done. The soundtrack is incredible. The cast is really nice, albeit a bit bloated.

>Zeta Gundam

Pretty much nails what UC Gundam is about, that constant cycle of inner demons getting the best of us and leading us to our ruin. Mostly great fight choreography save a small minority of boring fights that were just kind of thrown in for the hell of it, fantastic characters, a really dark and opressive atmosphere permeating throughout the show, and goddamn are those mecha designs ever great. Zeta was written in a really unorthodox way, and kind of plods along, subtly working in themes and character arcs without the cliche dramatic anime narrative style bogging down Tomino's vision. It also really completes everything that was set up in the last arc of 0079 as far as what newtypes would be in the franchise.
>>
>>14378469
Well, its:

>Patlabor

I just love police drama comedy, plus mecha = perfection.

>Turn A

Somehow, i look it as Nausicaa without deathfungi and more GUNDAMUUUU, thats why its awesome. Also it have beautiful worldbuilding and animation.

And best boipussy around.

>Build Fighter

Basically my dream as gunpla fans. Build, bash AND play, whats not to love.
Also 1st for Gyagya as the best Gyan.
>>
>>14378469
Gundam 00
Gargantia
Gurren Lagann

Go ahead, call me a pleb if you want but I'm not going to lie about my enjoyment of those shows.
>>
VOTOMS, Patlabor, Turn A Gundam
Reason: they are awesome.
>>
TV Series:

>Gundam 00 S1

The first season of Gundam 00 is arguably the best entry in the entire franchise. No weird dumb Tomino directing or having to figure everything out, but at the same time nothing too obvious or forced. Characters grow naturally and you have the best worldbuilding ever in an AU. An interesting setting that juggles a lot of characters out and a show that subverts a lot of common Gundam tropes while at the same time remains faithful to what the series is about.

>Patlabor TV

Pretty much just pure fun and great to watch, with awesome robot designs.

>Macross 7

Gloriously retarded.

Films and OVAs:

>Macross DYRL

A pretty much perfect movie that removes the worst parts of SDF caused by executive mandates.

>War in the Pocket

Still the best Gendum OVA.

>Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still

If you don't like this you have no soul and if you haven't seen it you should leave /m/ and not return until you have.
>>
File: and then I was all FUCK ROCKS.png (638 KB, 913x513) Image search: [Google]
and then I was all FUCK ROCKS.png
638 KB, 913x513
>>14378469
>Betterman
Holy shit SO good. The mystery wasn't that intriguing to begin with but it roped me in pretty well, combine that with the horror theme and I was beyond hooked. Kakuseijen and Tyran were both interesting robots, and the mode switch was an interesting gimmick that didn't succumb to upgrade syndrome where one is just better than the other. Then there was that twist with the other Tyran series neuronoids and the brain matter used to regulate them. Dolphin brain means swimming robot? I'll take ten!
I should rewatch it again sometime soon, it's always enjoyable for me.
Betterman Forte a best

>Gundam 00
What if the pilots in Gundam wing were united under a single banner from square one, but still managed to be at eachother's throats?
I can't lie I have a massive boner for all the Exias, starting from the Astraea all the way to the Qanta. The fights were good, the characters were decent, and the designs were fantastic.
Sure it got a little beamspammy as time went on, but that's just the usual fare for a gundamu. The technology improves and the pewpews get pewed more.

>Big O
Roger Motherfucking Smith. Smooth operator, negotiator extraordinaire, and more than capable pilot of THE BIG O. The robot whose fists will find a way to reach you. Piledriver punches? YES. Head laser? MORE YES. Jesus christ the whole thing was so good and being cryptic about the setting gave us this underlying story that fed the imagination. The wrap up of the series throughout S2 kind of ruined that aspect, but it did step it up with the ROBOT ACTION and give us a pretty decent season regardless.

>Symphogear/G
I haven't watched GX yet
Who knew that cute girls singing to transform into robot suits to punch, cut, and shoot extradimensional creatures would be so fucking good. That scene in S1 where Hibiki breaks the girly heels off because they're throwing off her JUSTICE PANCH? That's gold right there, my friend! Also: Genjuro, all of him.
>>
>>14378764
my african cohort
>>
File: 453116.jpg (2 MB, 4177x3799) Image search: [Google]
453116.jpg
2 MB, 4177x3799
>>14378803
and our last bit that didn't make it into post one
>Code Geass
Holy shit what is this ride and why is it SO GOOD?
Knightmare frames are cool as hell, from the designs to the ROBOTS WITH WHEELS ON THEIR FEET. We even see the first designs for flight units happen, and the frantic scurrying of the underdog to try to level the playing field. Like that one crazy as shit time where Lelouch pits his guys up against britannia by literally dangling KMFs from copters.
Radiant Wave Surger was so sweet, but so was Shinkiro's absolute defense field, Gawain's double hadron canon, Zangetsu and its sword.
The action was crazy, the story was crazy, the people were crazy.
It had that same lofty "I'm LITERALLY running this show" vibe from Lelouch that Light had going for him, except I actually really liked Lelouch, when he ran into a wall he got PISSED. When the world run him down he got depressed. Not every minute of every day was according to keikaku, but when it was oh lord was it glorious.
>>
TTGL
NGE
Code Geass

Only ones i've seen thougj
>>
Patlabor TV
Gasaraki
Shin Mazinger Z
>>
>>14378469
>CCA
My first time ever watching Gundam. Despite knowing nothing about the constant struggle and rivaling between Char and Amuro and could not understand any single dialogue ( i was ten at that time). I still am able to understand the ending. A beautiful ending when two sides, despite just trying to kill each other at first, now join hand to protect Earth. That scene when the Jegan tried to save the Geara Dora when the later overheated and drifted into space was tear moving. And the Miracle created by Humanity will are just too beautiful.

> Turn A Gundam.

Just like everyone said, a comfy adventure with enough world building, dynamic cast, especially the girls, they are all strong women done right especially Kiel and Diana. I cannot say who is the best because both are perfect.
>>
>>14378469
GaoGaiGar
G Gundam
Dai-Guard

I love so many robot shows but those are on top of my mind
>>
>>14378469
Genesis of Aquarion, Gear Fighter Dendoh, and Dougram
>>
>>14378883
>tear moving
>>
File: fuck shitposters.jpg (427 KB, 1500x1748) Image search: [Google]
fuck shitposters.jpg
427 KB, 1500x1748
>>14378469
>Zeta Gundam
Fuck shitposters. I love Kamille. The Zeta Gundam's the best design. I loved that the morality of the conflict was even less straightforward than 0079, with characters forced to make uncomfortable choices and uneasy alliances for the greater good. Plus, last three episodes are a great way to go out.

>Godannar
Anna's the greatest. Within a few minutes she literally lists all of the dumb shit that anime girls do all of the time and then says, "But I'm not that kind of girl!" and steals a motorcycle to ride off and rescue her man. Godannar takes a well-worn formula, strips out everything that isn't either hype or hilarious and amps up everything that's left to impossible levels.

>UltraSeven
Hey, you want to talk about morality and politics? No? What if I present it to you in the format of Ultraman?
>>
>>14378469
Unsubtle request thread.
>>
>>14378891
Shrimpy detected.
>>
>>14378966

> I loved that the morality of the conflict was even less straightforward than 0079

It was? The Titans and Neo Zeon were unabashedly the bad guys, and A.E.U.G. was even more of a good guy than the Federation in 0079, even including Wong and everyone being dicks to each other. Them needing to team up with Haman doesn't change that. I'd say even ZZ has more complex morals since several of Judau's friends are dicks you don't want to see win and the Federation are probably at their worst.

>>14379074

Pretty sure he's said he doesn't like G for one reason or another. Domon probably triggered him at some point by not being the nicest human bean around or something.
>>
>>14378469
Descending order

>Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen
Imagawa is unquestionably my favorite /m/ director, and Shin Mazinger is everything I love about him and giant robots in general poured into one show and cranked up to maximum. Mazinger really let all his inner goofiness run rampant, and it was his only show to accentuate all the awesome shit with a JAM Project soundtrack, which is the most appropriate soundtrack for it. I absolutely adore the retro art style and wild plots where people throw plans on top of plans is one of my number one favorite storytelling elements. It's as if this show was made to pander specifically to me, but a lot of other people like it too, which I'm happy about.

>Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
It's a classic for a reason. It's simplistic and its pacing is off, but there's all kinds of raw emotion oozing out of every frame. Gunbuster manages to convey more personality and emotion in 6 episodes than a lot of shows do in 50, and that's what makes it for me. Although the great soundtrack and animation certainly help. But yeah, it's a bit hard to explain, but every scene in Gunbuster seemed to be able to make me feel something, and few shows manage that. Noriko is probably my favorite /m/ protagonist as well.

>Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Yes, Imagawa again. I like this one on the strength of its visuals, its soundtrack, a neat story with some of the most fun characters I've seen in an anime. Not to mention it has a ton of cool moments, even if the original Big Bang Punch wasn't that impressive. I think this OVA may singlehandedly be responsible for getting me into wuxia one day. It also made me care about the Giant Robo franchise, which I had no interest in before.

Other favorites
>Mellowlink
>Dai-Guard
>Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
>The Big O
>Zambot 3
>Bryger
>G Gundam
>Macross 7
>Tekkaman Blade
>Brave of Gold Goldran
>VOTOMS
>>
>G Gundam
A mix of pure nostalgia and actually liking crazy martial-arts shit

>Dai-Guard
It was just really kind of neat. It had a nice opening song, Dai-Guard looks cool, the characters are pretty good. It was so good I bought the complete series for $20

>Overman King Gainer
This one I can't really put my finger on outside of liking the designs of the overmen except the Overdevil
>>
File: 1463119760123.jpg (576 KB, 1014x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463119760123.jpg
576 KB, 1014x1024
>>14378469
Zeta Gundam and Victory Gundam due to the characters which i liked a lot, the mobile suits were really interesting design wise

Big O due to it's style which i enjoyed a lot, the occasional banter between the characters and the piston punch is my mecha fetish

I'd have to say TTGL for last because it's what introduced me to mecha in general
>>
>TTGL
Despite liking the concept of giant robots fighting other giant things since childhood, TTGL was the first show I sat down and watched from start to finish. Over the top bombastic fun all around and the initial Arc-Gurren Lagann gattai sequence has a special place in my heart.

>Captain Earth
As with most Bones shows, the initial reason was "because it's pretty". But it did a lot of things I enjoyed. The cast of characters was generally likeable (Daichi being a reasonably self-assured protagonist was nice in particular) and in general the fights were cool.

I'd list a third but now that I think about it I'm not sure I've actually watched a third /m/ show all the way through. Closest I have is would be Digimon Xros Wars. I'll make good on that to-watch list someday.
>>
SDF Macross
MSG
Unicorn
>>
>Dai guard
It always made me feel good watching it
>Xabungle
The characters were fun the music was fucking amazing and of course most of the comedy was enough to get a laugh out of me
>New getter robo
It's was a crazy ova that did what makes getter best fucking crazy bullshit
>>
File: 01-burger-pile.jpg (119 KB, 880x800) Image search: [Google]
01-burger-pile.jpg
119 KB, 880x800
>>14378469
-Big O (season 1)
Great noir style, beautiful mecha and character designs, kickass music. I specified season 1 because season 2 kinda dropped the ball super hard.

-Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
My overall favorite Gundam series. Short, sweet, and sad. One of the few times I've cried at an anime.

-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The most fun I've had watching an anime, and possibly anything, period. I loved every hot-blooded second, and Lagann-Hen increased that feeling tenfold.
>b-but babbys first mecha! Muh Getter!
Cry some more.
>>
>TTGL
Fun super robot action with colorful characters

>Shin vs Neo

>Gaogaigar
>>
Big O, Neo Ranga, and the Count of Monte Cristo, in no particular order.
>>
>>14379822
>>>/v/
>>>/a/
>>>/co/
>>
Gundam 0079
Evangelion
Teyandee
>>
File: NOPROBLEMDA.png (335 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
NOPROBLEMDA.png
335 KB, 640x360
>>14380537
I like you. I watched SvN again recently and remembered how good it was.
>>
File: aAjgZgz.gif (415 KB, 620x410) Image search: [Google]
aAjgZgz.gif
415 KB, 620x410
My favorites are purely personal. I am not aruging objective merit in any way.

>Super Dimension Century Orguss

Really the only mecha series that captured that special late 70's/early 80's brand of sci-fi camp. Orguss is a very weird show, about an off color cast. Kei Katsuragi is by far my favorite /m/ lead, the guy is competent and witty, but lacks self-discipline and purpose. His character development is so fucking tasteful. His development sort of mirrors Olson, who who gets a headstart on him in the new earth and takes self responsibility in his role in ending the singularity. When Kei enters the new twisted earth he tries to be carefree and even sneers at Emaan culture for being rigid with a sense of duty, but matures for the sake of Mimzy (best girl) and their (best done ever) relationship. The ending fucks me up everytime, too.
Best /m/ ending theme too.

>SPT Layzner

Layzner is a special one for me. I was in sixth grade, watching anime openings on YT. Mostly Gundam series I didn't think I would ever get to see, however I discovered other 80's Sunrise anime. The Layzner OP always fascinated me. Both the first and the second versions. Also i wanted to know why each upload had a different clip in the middle that interupted the opening.
Jump years later, and when I finally got to see the series I was sucked in. All those years of curiosity paid off.
The show itself: Eiji is the pacifist protagonist done right. He has a goal, and only fights in self defence. I love how much the show goes out of its way to prove Eiji's optimism wrong, and every victory he and his friends acheive, from beginning to end, is tinged with some kind of bitter reminder of reality. And, the eventual resolution of the conflict is so atypical of these kinds of shows that I love it. Also, the SPT's are my favorite mechs ever. I love how they are coreographed.

>Zeta Gundam

Eat my ass, Zeta haters. (Pic related)
>>
File: 20160621_010512.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160621_010512.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Jesta because it feels like the gruntiest of grunts.
Shining Gundam because the series was so over the top is was enjoyable.
Wing Gundam because it's the main gundam in the first series I ever watched as a kid.
>>
>>14378469
NGE
Amazing visual storytelling and characters that I found well written and 'deep'. There were some genuinely shocking moments, and good message.

Unicorn
Great visuals and sound. Theme was a very refreshing change of pace from the standard cynicism of many /m/ shows. Good job conveying the theme, good pacing, RX-0s look cool.

Zeta Gundam
Good visuals, if a bit dated. Zeta IS Universal Century Gundam. Real robot, space magic, kids getting slapped, etc..
>>
File: 1238311699083.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1238311699083.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>GaoGaiGar/GaoGaiGar Final
>Macross DYRL
>Gunbuster
>Shin Mazinger Z

No particular order, all of these really got me into the mecha genre and made me realize why it's the best.
>>
File: FSS Book X -59.jpg (747 KB, 1093x1499) Image search: [Google]
FSS Book X -59.jpg
747 KB, 1093x1499
FSS
I really like Nagano's art and mecha designs, plus its weird way of skipping around, like going from when Colus III dies to Colus VI(or was it VII?) and the whole AKD rebellion thing.

Gundam 0080
I really like the way it handles the whole "war is hell" style theme and Al and Bernie's character development together, and the fight scenes it had were pretty good. Its soundtrack is also great.

VOTOMS
Scopedogs are cool, all the Scopedog variants are cool, and I like the general aesthetic.
>>
Writing these out make me realise that I'm definitely a "praise the high points, ignore the low points" kinda guy.

>Gunbuster
Hard work, guts, high-budget animation, Mikimoto designs, and weaponised super science.

>Zeta Gundam
Has a million flaws, but its my favourite Gundam series. I still can't believe that they crammed in so many fantastic mechanical designs at a time when cheap flashy robot toys were the proven moneymaker.

>Gaogaigar
I was watching this when /m was first getting it at the rate of one episode a fortnight. I like most of the Braves series but I still prefer the overall tone GGG went for.
>>
>>14379074
but shrimpy hates G gundam
>>
File: tumblr_n2e3m4Arq51re5609o1_1280.jpg (530 KB, 1280x822) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2e3m4Arq51re5609o1_1280.jpg
530 KB, 1280x822
For reals
>Votoms

Pretty much in my eyes the best real robot show out there, it excels in every area and generally the first to come to mind when it comes to the best of the real robot genre.

Everything else
>Zeta Gundam
>Layzner
>Brain powerd
>Dunbine
>Xabungle
>Nadesico

For supers
>Getter Robo
It's mainly the manga, but the ovas are good stuff too.

everything else
>Mazinger Z
>Zeorymer
>King Gainer
>Ideon
>Jeeg
>Iczer

Power armor is pretty great too
which is mainly just Tekkaman blade and M.D. Geist for me.
>>
>>14378777
>>14378803
>>14378828
>>14378883
>>14379278
>>14382203
>>14383739
>Top three

>>14382185
Idiot, 2/3 great taste though.
>>
>Victory Gundam
Loved all the characters even if the Zanscare empire was like a shitty version of Zeon, the V Gundam is fucking cool and the ending impressed me even more than Zeta.

>Gunbuster
Classic. A lot of sakuga and unforgettable moments. Noriko a cute.

>Eureka Seven
The setting was really interesting, cute romance.
>>
File: scopediggy.jpg (38 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
scopediggy.jpg
38 KB, 480x320
>>14378469
>VOTOMS
I had to, it was just so good. Mech designs were awesome, the cockpit and control systems, the fights, scenarios ... just felt "right". Probably my favorite anime period. (I only watch mecha, though)

>Big O
Again the atmosphere was great. I'm a real sucker for city noir and stuff, so just as I got sucked into Votoms by the Voodo city arc, I got sucked into this one for the atmosphere in paradigm city. Great soundtrack too.

>Zeta Gundam
Very high quality all throughout. The mecha are solid and this one is obviously supported by tons of model kits which is a plus as well.
>>
>>14382036
TOO MUCH HIGH POWER MAN
>>
>>14381973
Your post only proves him right.
>>
>>14384762
It would if it was just TTGL, but it's TTGL paired with the big O and /a/'s favorite gundam
>>
>>14378469
VOTOMS
Gundam X
Dai-Guard

Reason: VOTOMS is awesome, and the latter two are awesome AND comfy.
>>
>>14384769

0080 is a lot of people on /m/'s favorite Gundam too. I don't know if /m/ has a favorite though, for the simple reason there's too much variety of taste. I don't know why you think liking Big O indicates anything though.
>>
>>14384800
/m/'s favorite would probably end up being 0079, although mine is Victory.
>>
>>14384803

Well the poll someone on /m/ ran 6 years back had Turn-A as the favorite with 0080 second and 0079 third. It ran for several weeks and had a pretty high number of votes if I recall, but it was 6 years ago so it's possible, if not probable things have changed since then, even if you want to take that as an accurate picture. That said, it does fall in line with my personal consensus in that Turn-A is my favorite. Victory is one of the other ones I do enjoy though.

Big O also rates highly on that chart by the way. As does TTGL, though not as high as either Armageddon or New.
>>
>>14384850
/m/ sure did have shit taste back then
>>
>>14384769
What's wrong with Big O? And /a/ hates Gundam.
>>
>>14378469
1) Gao

2: Gai

3. Gar
>>
File: 34.jpg (1023 KB, 1922x1392) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
1023 KB, 1922x1392
Manga:

Five Star Stories - Great setting with plenty of of characters, wonderful character designs, mecha designs, and tons of variety. Skipping decades or more each volume and having no main character adds a layer of realism most mecha series lack.

Appleseed
Shirow's art is detailed and the characters are plenty of fun. Unfortunately unfinished and the action can be a little hard to follow

Getter Robo Go
Fast paced with non-stop action. Really good mecha designs.

TV Anime:

Patlabor
Neo-Ranga
Brain Powerd

OVA:
Iczer 1
Dragon's Heaven
Zeorymer

Movie:

Gundam F91
Ideon Be Invoked
Five Star Stories
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.