[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Patlabor:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
Just finishing up the TV show:

>Kanuka's replacement has zero personality or charisma, making it rather pointless to get rid of Kanuka. Should have just made her transfer for a year and have her leave at the end of the show
>Ota is everything wrong with Division 2 and he should have never been allowed near a labor to begin with
>Too many eps dealing with the core cast and not enough on side characters
>Shige got 1 episode, Hiromi got 1 episode, Shinshi got 1 episode
>Nagumo never got an episode
>Detective Takahiro Matsu never got an episode
>Shinshi got an episode, but then they demote him from Ota's command car immediately, making him irrelevant again. Should have just had him leave.

Overall, enjoyed it though I wish it had gotten a second season to flesh out the universe and characters more.
>>
>>12247365

Dirty Pair reference?
>>
>>12247365
You know about the OVAs and movies right?
>>
>>12247379

Yes, this is in fact the 2nd last Patlabor series for me to watch. Next is the Second OVA series which serves as a sequel to the tv show.

I just expected that since the tv show has so many episodes it would spend a bit more time on these side characters. I mean, "a day in the life of division 1" episode basically writes itself.
>>
Yeah... it sucks. I kinda wish they'd had Kanuka leaving being the end of the series

Ota is the comic relief, he's fine. Also the arranged marriage episode is amazing IMO

Side characters are at the side, hence side characters. This is a limited run series, not The Simpsons, where every fucking side character comes to live with them.

Nagumo basically gets a movie

Detective Matsu gets to moodily tour the sights of tokyo for a whole movie.

Shinshi is dull character, and also another form of comic relief. 'Oh look at this pussy whipped guy'
Watch the movies. You sound like you'll enjoy the more serious tone.
>>
>>12247413
>Shinshi is dull character, and also another form of comic relief. 'Oh look at this pussy whipped guy'

Which is why I think he should have left. The new job offer was so good and it's only because of Status Quo rules of the universe that he had to turn it down. No sane person would. He was never appreciated at work, and just a few episodes later they kick him out of the command car. I don't even know what position he takes up after that.

And he gets demoted, which ruins the little development of that episode to make way for Not-Kanuka, who has no personality and just sorta exists.
>>
>>12247365
I just finished TV as well. I'm on the second OVA right now.

Funny you feel that way about Kumagami, I read the manga first and I felt exactly the same way about Kanuka until I watched TV. Thing is, after Kanuka leaves, they start adapting the manga and they skip a couple key scenes of Kuma (namely training with Ota and Noa,remember she's seen judo throwing Ota in the OP) and that's why she feels like a boring Kanuka replacement when Kanuka is actually a Kumagami replacement.

Shinshi and Hiromi where fine to me, specially after how bland they are in the manga. I actually learned their names here! And about Shinshi, I think he was just a temporal replacement for the command car until Kumagami arrived, and every reason he had for not staying in SV2 could be summed up in one word: Ota. That episode where he almost leaves is still very weird.
>>
>>12247530
>I read the manga first

T-there's translations?
>>
>>12247428
I suppose Shinshi is stuck in his role as "the computer guy", and they don't have any other unit 2 member who could replace him on that front, even if he isn't allowed to use the command car.
>>
>>12247562
Not in english I'm afraid... There was an unfinished spanish translation in 1999 which I tried to track down with moderate success: I only found 9 out of 12 volumes.

It still was good for understanding alternate continuities.

>>12247588
Yeah, that's Shinshi's job. Kind of a talented salaryman stuck in a weird environment. I guess that more or less sums up every SV2 member. They're all weirdos or very out of place there.
>>
File: newintro1.png (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
newintro1.png
1 MB, 1280x1024
>>12247365
>>Kanuka's replacement has zero personality or charisma
See, this is the one thing I don't like about Patlabor TV. The fact that they set up Kanuka and THEN bring up Kumagami and also how they sort of "cancel" her character is is misleading as hell. Just because she takes her place in S2 doesn't mean she was intended to be like her. What they have in common is that they're both perfect cops and to a lesser degree perfect women (this is emphasized in Takeo) but the original Kuma (the one from the manga) is sort of a drill sergeant that's there from the beginning to train everybody and make the team more efficient, and she does an excellent job at keeping Ota under control (this last thing is pretty important: Kanuka sucks at that). They also gave her comedic relief in how easily frightened she is, she's a die-hard cop who can kick everybody's ass and has gone toe-to-toe with the Hong Kong mafia but she's still as meek like a little girl sometimes.

This sort of carried over the the TV version, because she is shown training Ota in both openings (judo in the first one and push-ups in the second one; and if I'm not mistaken she spars with the entire SV2 team in that "intrepid reporter" episode) and also she is still a total scaredy-cat. But generally speaking, this is completely omitted. This is a shame because I love both Kumagami and Kanuka. They're different characters and the TV version did a great job at adapting the issues from the comic it adapted except in this department. For instance, the haunted house episode is much better than its manga counterpart. So is the Griffon arc: the build up to it is amazing. Schaft and Kurosaki are introduced with the Phantom arc AND Kanuka gets development too. It's much better than what we got in the manga, just Noa fighting three Brockens Schaft sold to the House of the Sea.

tldr: Kanuka and Kumagami are different characters, Patlabor TV just gives a wrong impression by their choices with Kuma's character
>>
>>12247530
>Kanuka is actually a Kumagami replacement.
What? In universe you mean? Because Kanuka has been in Patlabor from the very beginning.
>>
File: 46759310_p0.jpg (247 KB, 765x520) Image search: [Google]
46759310_p0.jpg
247 KB, 765x520
>>12247530
>>12251101
>Kanuka is a Kumagami replacement
Well, yes and no. You need to take into account that Patlabor is a joint effort between the members of Headgear which started with an OVA and a manga, but even then it gets fuzzy. Kanuka comes from the OVA which released a few months earlier; Kumagami comes from the manga where she came in about as early as Kanuka did Here is were it gets confusing. In the manga timeline, Shinshi was originally the backup unit of Ota, but since he could not keep Ota in check and had health issues, when Kumagami came in (second volume) and she showed that she was better than pretty much everybody there, Goto assigned her to replace Shinshi and train SV2, specially Noa and Ota.

But in the TV series not only did they have Kanuka earlier, but they also completely fuck up Kumagami's character when she came in. The result is that she seems like she was a character made to replace Kanuka when that's hadly the case, she was designed by Masami Yuuki and used as early as 1988 in the manga, when the OVA wasn't finished yet.

So yeah, in short, they're alternate characters whose roles clash in the TV series, and Kuma gets the sort en of the stick because they handle her very poorly. In my head I choose to believe all that stuff they skip about her happens off-screen.

This is why we need a complete English translation of the manga.
>>
>>12247365

OVA 2 is basically Patlabor TV season 2.

A mini-season mind you.
>>
>>12247365

The first OP and ED are trash.

The second OP/ED are great.
>>
File: SV2_Weeding_is_srs_bsns.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SV2_Weeding_is_srs_bsns.webm
3 MB, 640x360
You guys like Kanuka's Russian replacement?
>>
>>12253325
>He doesn't like MIDNIGHT BLUE
Get off my /m/
>>
>>12251623
Funny enough Oshii didn't like Kanuka and didn't even want to include her in the ova.
>>
No joke, has anyone actually died in Patlabor?

>>12253416

Scrawny. Needs to eat a sandwich.
>>
>>12256679
Manga? Yes.
Movies? Yes.
OVA1? Unknown.
TV/OVA2? Probably not.
>>
>>12256683

There's the guy who comitted suicide in Movie 1. Don't think anyone died in movie 2.

Patlabor has so many fights yet such a low casualty rate.
>>
>>12256699
Patlabor 2 had the UN labor team in the prologue thing.
>>
>>12256679
Sakaki, the mechanics chief, passed away by 2013.
>>
File: whassatboutmaiwaifu.png (674 KB, 864x648) Image search: [Google]
whassatboutmaiwaifu.png
674 KB, 864x648
>>12253325
>not liking midnight blue

Don't get on my bad side, you.

>>12256162
Wow, did he really? Is there a source for that, like an interview or something? I'm curious now.
>>
File: 1338694399841.png (262 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1338694399841.png
262 KB, 640x480
>>12253416
How did she even get to the patch of grass when she was in an empty field?

>>12247530
>>12251623
That was the major issue with Kumagami in the TV series as they never establish her personality or who she is. I mean in her introduction episode, they manage to imply that the rest of the cast thought she doesn't respect them even though everything she does makes her act like a stereotypical office girl. It's the only way to make scene of the scene at the end of the episode where Kumagami looks shocked when Noa correctly called the bluff of the terrorist work.

They also hammed up the fact that she gets frightened, well beyond the over reaction we saw when Goto was teasing her. She outright fainted and had to have Hiromi carry her several times in the show.

But the big problem was they never did anything to establish her actual abilities or do anything to have her build a meaningful relationship with the rest of SV2. In the Manga, it was established she was a super cop with a reputation to match. But Ota still only respected Kumagami because she was a lieutenant and not because of her abilities. It was only after Kumagami trained Noa to best Ota in hand-to-hand labor combat and Ota recognized Kumagami's abilities and WILLINGLY went to her to help him become a better labor pilot. This scene never happened in the TV series, but in the 2nd OVA, it was mentioned by Kanuka that she was envious that Kumagami was able to keep Ota under control. But for the most part Kumagami didn't have any sort of spot light in the TV series to develop her character or relationships with the rest of the team like Kanuka did. Hell, they just dropped her relationship with Wong at the end of the Griffin arch and made her look like a fool when Wong was able to manipulate her. The TV series just did a piss poor job of handling Kumagami as a whole, and you really need to read the Manga to get a better feel for the character.

>>12253325
>Hating Midnight Blue
Fightin' words.
>>
Way I read it was the TV series was supposed to be shorter than it actually was. So since they already set up the Kanuka leaving plot line and since time actually seemed to pass in the series they had little choice but to bring in Kumgs.
>>
that said there was a real wasted opportunity. Noa and Kanuka coming to respect each othere's methods and being friends was a really nice thing the show had that humanized the characters a great deal
>>
>>12258262
Close enough. The show was expected to end when Kanuka left, but it was so wildly popular that they kept getting extended by the network.
>>
"The New Files" is basically season 2 of the series.
>>
This fucking guy.

inb4badquality
>>
>>12256938
Its in the OVA Episode 2, Director commentary.
>>
>>12259085

I like the touch that the self-destruct triggers an ejection seat. I actually thought they were gonna kill Bud along with it.
>>
>>12259114

eh Oshi can suck it. This is the guy with a hardon for having Nagumo NTR goto remember.

A lot of people made Patlabor special. it wasn't one guy
>>
File: 342342.jpg (80 KB, 637x477) Image search: [Google]
342342.jpg
80 KB, 637x477
>>12259140
Agreed.
But poor Kanuka.
>>
>>12259140
Nagumo never showed any interest in Goto aside from that one time in the first movie that she soaked through her panties because he was being all competent and awesome towards the end, it was never going to go anywhere. Just be glad that Oshii made the only relationship that could actually go anywhere canon as fuck for both animated continuities.
>>
>>12260000

What relationship is that?
>>
>>12259159
Knuckles a shit.
>>
>>12259085

>He just sort leaves and never returns

Were they saving him for a movie or something?
>>
>>12260027
Who do you think, anon?
>>
>>12260034
I'm not sure but I don't think the Griffon arc had concluded in the manga when they adapted it, so they gave it a different ending. In the manga he tries to rape Kumagami and uses her as a hostage to get out of the country after Noa wrecks Bud's shit. A Shaft Security Services man assassinates him before he can get on the plane, stabbing him and leaving him to bleed to death. Also he bought Bud from an international pedophile grooming ring.
>>
>>12260044
Dammit, why does everything we hear about the manga make it sound like the best thing ever?
>>
>>12260035

oh yeah. Noa and Alphonse.
>>
>>12260048
>Dammit, why does everything we hear about the manga make it sound like the edgiest thing ever?
>>
>>12260146
Nope, movie two sunk that ship.
>>12260150
>Not wanting edge mixed in with your happy fun times
>>
>>12260035

Patlabor has zero romance or sex.
>>
>>12260155
It does have a fair helping of well handled sexual tension, though.
>>
>>12260044

That's messed up and Im glad it was never animated
>>
>>12260395

>Richard Wong did nothing wrong
>>
>>12260035
Basset Hound x birds x ambient music
>>
>>12260728
No, that's Oshii's universal OTP. He must make it canon in everything.
>>
Jesus Christ, Asuma
>>
>>12260767
That was some heavy shit to be laying on Noa.
>>
Can I just watch TV until Kanuka leaves, then read the manga, then watch OVA 2?
>>
>>12260791
No. Why would you want to miss out on half a Patlabor series?
>>
>>12260794
Because from that point onwards it's a half assed adaption of the manga, or so says everyone that both watched it and read it.
>>
>>12260767
He probably still felt bad about the time he got mad at Noa for telling him to sort shit out with his father. In fact, he tries to do just that.
>>12260802
It's similar, but it isn't the same.
>>
>>12260791
Eh, actually, watch/read everything. The manga handles Kumagami better but the TV series is better at pretty much everything else. If you enjoy both you'll have more context for Kumagami AND enjoy the glorious random adventures in between.
>>
I head-canon Noa and Asuma as a couple, but it's probably wishful thinking. Honestly one of the things that keeps me watching shows is romance subplots. But what gets me even more is when its a twist, like in the original Macross. I'm a soppy git at heart. Patlabor had me begging them to get together or show affection. I'd get excited any time there seemed to be something leaning to that effect, like them hanging out or in the movies eating together, etc.

The way they subtly do it, it makes it so that if you want it to be there, you see it, and if you don't care about it, it's not there.
>>
>>12260835
They did so much together that they were practically a couple as it was, it didn't help that the entire cast ships them.
That's why it was no surprise when Oshii made it canon in TNG.
>>
>>12260846
Sadly, Goto and Nagumo never got together.
>>
>>12260922
That wasn't going anywhere to begin with, movie 2 was just the last nail in the coffin. At least the partners with great chemistry that genuinely cared for each other finally fucked, even if we never got an on-screen conclusion.
>>
>>12260786

yeah but know I get why he didn't want too at first
>>
>>12260922
Why didn't Goto just divert his lust towards Kanuka anyway?
>>
>>12260995

Kanuka's not interested if you get my drift
>>
>>12247365
>>Too many eps dealing with the core cast and not enough on side characters
I guess you haven't watched Movie 2 or 3.
>>
>>12247365
>>Ota is everything wrong with Division 2 and he should have never been allowed near a labor to begin with
But that's what makes him so funny.
>>
>>12261006
Why does everybody want a piece of Noa? She keeps generating lesbians because women keep spending too long in her presence.
>>
>>12261012
Kinda funny how he's said to be jailed in TNG
>>
>>12261014
>Noa
>Already looks like a boy
>But without actually having a dick
Gee I wonder why?
>>
>>12261017
>Sakaki dead
>Ohta in jail. Defiantly fired

why does Oshi have to make everything depressing
>>
File: Noa Izumi is going to shoot you.gif (423 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Noa Izumi is going to shoot you.gif
423 KB, 512x384
>>12261026
>looks like a boy
>>
>>12261026
I'm pretty sure those are minuses.
>>
File: patlabor-1.jpg (165 KB, 800x1198) Image search: [Google]
patlabor-1.jpg
165 KB, 800x1198
>>12261032
>>
File: patlabor-2.jpg (157 KB, 800x1196) Image search: [Google]
patlabor-2.jpg
157 KB, 800x1196
>>12261032
>>12261040
>>
>>12261026
>Asuma is working for his dad's company
>Noa is working for SHI too as a test pilot
Asuma's choice seems almost inexplicable, and Noa's makes it clear that he's running with the movie characterization.
>>
File: patlabor-3.jpg (143 KB, 800x1189) Image search: [Google]
patlabor-3.jpg
143 KB, 800x1189
>>12261032
>>12261040
>>12261043
>>
File: patlabor-4.jpg (122 KB, 800x1190) Image search: [Google]
patlabor-4.jpg
122 KB, 800x1190
>>12261032
>>12261040
>>12261043
>>12261046
>>
>>12261046
>Oversized, baggy uniform
>Can't actually see her face
>Moving from one traditionally male-dominated field into another
Not the best evidence.
I'm not saying that she's super feminine, quite the opposite in fact, but she's still well short of being a bloke drawn without a penis.
>>
>>12261030
How did Sakaki die?
>>
>>12261014
>Why does everybody want a piece of Noa?

She looks like Ellen Page. Boyish dyke.
>>
>>12261032
>>looks like a boy

A few characters outright say that. There's the film crew episode where before she spoke, they thought she was a boy. And I think Ota said something about when she wears makeup she finally looks like a girl.
>>
>>12261055
Hey, Ellen Page has nothing on Noa.
>>12261057
Yes, let's all use Ota's opinions on women as a measuring tool. I don't see that ending poorly.
>>
File: Just Noa.png (861 KB, 800x1189) Image search: [Google]
Just Noa.png
861 KB, 800x1189
>>12261046
Exploitable.
>>
>>12261062
>No second box for 'I'm not even a boy' or something similar
Dammit.
>>
>>12261064
Just draw it yourself. And remove the shitty watermark while you're at it.
>>
>>12261087
But I have minimal to no ability with image manipulation
>>
>>12261054
Not discussed. We just see his picture upon SV2 mechanical department's holy altar.
>>12256770
>>
>>12260802
Except it isn't.
>>
So finishing up New Files. After this I'm done all Patlabor animation.

>Comic (untranslated)
>Patlabor Minimum
>Light novels (un translated)
>The Next Generation -Patlabor- (un translated)

>>12261262
>>12261054

Well considering his age, it would most likely just be natural causes.

I'm more curious about Ota. What'd that nigga do? Did he finally kill someone?

For Ota I would have killed him off at the end of movie 2. It was the perfect chance. They were fighting two military labors, and their ammo punches right through the Ingrams. That they didn't get hit is due to just pure luck. I would have had Ota taken a would which would have killed him. Noa is of course, too important to kill off like that. And it'd be a fitting end to Ota, dying bravely in battle.
>>
>>12261396
Well, they did have ERA vests on which gave an amazing flak jacket look to the Ingrams, that probably keep them safe. Apparently Ota got into a brawl of some kind.
>Noa dying
Don't even mention the possibility, even if it is to dismiss it. Shame on you.
>>
>>12261396
You should watch TNG Episode 00. It's subbed by THS
>>
>>12260044
Wow, poor Kumagami, no matter the continuity she always gets the Schaft.

I'm surprised the manga got that dark, Utsumi did blow up those SSS guys with a bomb but even that was sort of "unhappy" for Patlabor. Did Ohta save her at least? The manga seemed to imply they had something for each other.

Or maybe that's just me.
>>
>>12261636
Noa and Asuma had a thing for each other, Ota was pussywhipped beyond belief. Learn the difference, it could save your life.
>>
>>12261396
>For Ota I would have killed him off at the end of movie 2.
Movie 2 is really serious, especially in comparison to the rest of franchise. But I think killing off a character like that would have been a step in the wrong direction. When the movie ends you're suppose to breath a sigh of relief, because no matter how dark it got everything turned out alright in the end. It would have been unfitting to end the franchise, for the then foreseeable future, on such a bitter sweet note.
>>
Somebody needs to get on scanlating the rest of the manga, like, today. I know there's somebody lurking this thread that has the means to do it, too.
>>
>>12261786
>Noa and Asuma had a thng for each other
>implying Asuma had it any better with Noa NTRing the fuck outta him with Alphonse
>>
>>12263043
Noa is so cute.
>>
>>12264374
She is.
>>
>>12263043
>>12264381
Looking pretty VHS there, anon.
>>
>>12264546

I'm going to guess LD screenshots. LD are basically digital VHS.
>>
>>12264558
I'd generally expect a slightly cleaner image from a decent LD transfer, but you might be right.
>>
File: thereshatwordagain.jpg (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thereshatwordagain.jpg
42 KB, 640x480
>>12264546
Actually if I could watch these on actual VHS tapes I would do it, it would be very nice for nostalgia reasons.

Since I have to watch them on a tiny ass screen it's the next best thing tho. Also they hardly take any space either that's good too.
>>
>>12264623
I fell like Noa is possibly the most reaction image friendly MC in anything, ever.
>>
File: noaiamacop.png (970 KB, 1251x827) Image search: [Google]
noaiamacop.png
970 KB, 1251x827
>>12264647
Yup, at least in /m/ characters she's up there with Jiron.
>>
>>12264546
>>12264558
>>12264610
>>12264623
They look like they're from the official English DVD release. Which was basically VHS rips of Laserdiscs put onto DVDs.The VOTOMS DVD release was pretty much the same.

US Manga Corps died for a very good reason.
>>
File: 1380986562089.jpg (160 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1380986562089.jpg
160 KB, 1024x768
>>12264890
Central Park Media has commited war crimes against Patlabor.
>>
>>12264779
Help me /m/, I want to do terrible things to Noa like hug her.
>>
File: leona.jpg (7 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
leona.jpg
7 KB, 257x196
>>12264958
Hugging a police officer on duty is strictly prohibited!
>>
>>12264974
Nottu thisu shittu agen
>>
>>12264986
She's just jealous because nobody ever hugged her.
>>
>>12265021
Why would anybody ever want to? All she does is cause collateral damage several orders of magnitude larger than required and get really angry at just about everybody with little to no provocation.
>>
File: 1419309089445.webm (1 MB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
1419309089445.webm
1 MB, 640x344
>>12264974
How about officers hugging other officers?
>>
>>12247630
holy shit can you post them? Or let us know of where we can find them?
>>
>>12260835
eh, I always headcannoned Noa as being totally asexual/too invested in Alphonse to ever notice actual human beings. And not like "married to the force" I mean like "haha what even are men"
>>
>>12261026
Noa doesn't look like a boy, she's just not supposed to be incredibly pretty like every other anime girl is supposed to be.
Also, I don't think you understand how homosexuality works
>>
Izumi Noa is <spoiler>transgender</spoiler>
>>
File: 1419266106988.jpg (572 KB, 567x4421) Image search: [Google]
1419266106988.jpg
572 KB, 567x4421
>>12265267
About that.
>>
>>12262795
The fact that some of us can doesn't mean we have to.
>>
File: RabbitEar.webm (376 KB, 1280x535) Image search: [Google]
RabbitEar.webm
376 KB, 1280x535
Woah...
>>
>>12266284
>>12266290
>>12266294
>>
>>12264890
VHS rips on DVD
No Condition Green for no reason
Shit translations (see https://archive.moe/m/thread/9723091/)

ugh
>>
>>12266306
>No Condition Green
Jesus christ how awful
>>
>>12266299
That is awesome. Gotta love worldbuilding details like that. I've always hated half-arsed in universe kit that just has promo details on the reverse or something rather than going the whole way with it.
>>
File: TNG-Tour.jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TNG-Tour.jpg
414 KB, 1920x1080
>>12266439
The world building in TNG is so detailed it's almost crazy. Especially in the SV2 hangar.
http://cdn.patlabor-nextgeneration.com/tour/index.html
>>
File: TNG-Tour_SV2merch.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TNG-Tour_SV2merch.jpg
323 KB, 1920x1080
>>12266511
They probably pulled out the whole "Section 1 was disbanded" thing out of necessity. Otherwise, they would need to put in twice the effort in the live-action hangar.
>>
>>12266530
>Fucking Police Academy 2 sitting there
I see what they did there
>>
File: TNG-Tour_SV2commendations.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TNG-Tour_SV2commendations.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
>>12266530
Holy shit
I don't speak moon, but these looks like commendations for
>Movie 1 events by SHI in 1999
>Movie 2 events by the government in 2001
>>
>>12266555
Trips speak the truth. Nice catch.
You know, Goto was the only part of SV2 that was actually in division 2 and not either maintenance crew or off in other related roles during the events come to think of it.
>>
>>12266586
Events of Patlabor 2, that is
>>
File: cont.jpg (472 KB, 1920x882) Image search: [Google]
cont.jpg
472 KB, 1920x882
What interests me the most is what happens when you mouse over these containers in the virtual set tour:
"The contents of these containers will be revealed over the course of secret event [something]."

The events of the movie, perhaps?
>>
File: TNG-Tour_PS2.jpg (259 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TNG-Tour_PS2.jpg
259 KB, 1920x1080
>dat PS2
>>
>>12266866
The whole of episode 12 revolves around a "legacy of SV2" left behind by these two. Could be that but I doubt it's something tangible.
>>
File: sunr.jpg (306 KB, 1920x882) Image search: [Google]
sunr.jpg
306 KB, 1920x882
>>12266555
If you check the other wall next to the one with those awards, there's three more awards, including one from Sunrise

>>12267740
I agree that the legacy is probably something more intangible. Hence, the containers are likely something else entirely.

>>12266993
The mouseover text indicates that the console belongs to Akira.
Yuuma's cubby is stacked with plane plamo.
>>
>>12266555
The one on the right is from SHI and a certificate of appreciation for them apprehending someone who was blackmailing their president, left is a commendation from the metropolitan police security department chief and a generic "good job all these years" thing.

They ARE dated 99 and 01 though (Heisei 11 and 13)
>>
>>12267942
Ah, the leftmost one in THAT is for the events of the first movie (also dated Heisei 11, commendation for them solving a case with Labours going out of control all over the city)
>>
File: 5ad92b23.jpg (233 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
5ad92b23.jpg
233 KB, 1280x853
>>12266511
>The world building in TNG is so detailed it's almost crazy.

>Oshii
>not crazy

The convenience mart is having a campaign to promote how fucking REIDEEN is getting a live action drama.
>>
Guess I should link this here

http://inandup.doorblog.jp/
>>
>>12268329

So is TNG any good?

It's weird to revive Patlabor with a live action show. Japs aren't as well known for making good live action. DId they make it live action just to make it different from the animated shows from before?
>>
>>12268458

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_Generation_-Patlabor-

And what is it? Is it a TV show or a film series? Are these shown in theaters? Looks like a tv show.
>>
>>12268458
It's pretty good.

I wouldn't say it's as good as the original series- A lot of the comedy is pretty bad (at times it's more cartoonish than the goddamned cartoon version) and the acting isn't great and a lot of it depends on you being familiar with the rest of the series.

But it's better than nothing, and isn't bad. That's good enough for me.

>>12268484
>And what is it? Is it a TV show or a film series? Are these shown in theaters? Looks like a tv show.
The series is direct to video releases (like OVAs without the A) that also aired in cinemas for 2-3 weeks each time (watched it in cinemas myself).

The final part is a full-fledged movie that'll be released during Golden Week this year.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQpBTHj85Y
>>
Almost done The New Files. Holy shit this might be my favorite itineration of Patlabor yet.

>Better animation than the tv show.
>More music and higher quality music
>Break from the tv show's format of 10 minutes non-robot story and 10 minutes robot action
>Range of funny stories, action stories, and emotional stories
>Some of the best episodes ever
>lots of eps where there's no robot action and just focus on the characters

As a minus:
>Griffin storyline was anti-climatic
>>
>>12269696
I just watched the kid show episode and the public bath episode.

My chest still hurts from that part were the riot police think Ota is the kidnapper.

And yes, the animation is fantastic.
>>
>>12268458
The transition to live action is smooth and believable. Especially with Shigeru Chiba acting out his own role. It's like what the Transformers movies aspire to be but could never achieve.

Content-wise, even though TNG takes place in the movie continuity, several episodes are direct live-action adaptations of Patlabor TV episodes.
>>
>>12269696

Could someone explain the episode ""Snow Rondo" episode? The one where Shinohara meets some ghost lady girlfriend and there's dreams and multiple timelines? I loved the episode, but it was a little confusing and it was the last thing I'd expect in a Patlabor series.

So, she died right? Then she uses her ghost magic to say goodbye to Asuma.
>>
>>12269741

Rankin the Patlabors:

1. Movie 2
2. New Files
3. TV
4. Movie 1
5. Early Days
6. WXIII

Despite the good animation, I didn't like Early Days that much. I also saw Movie 1 and 2 first, so I barely knew these characters. I'm going to re-watch them.
>>
>>12269741
Ghost story/Asuma coming to terms with past so he can start building a relationship with Noa, right before the finale where he tells her how his brother died. We had a thread about that episode a while ago.
>>
>>12269741
GHOOOOOOST BLOOOOOWJOOOOB
>>
>>12269810
>We had a thread about that episode a while ago.

Link?
>>
>>12248613
>>12251623
>>12258216
Kumagami was pretty awesome in the manga. I didn't quite get the part where she was between a fight with Asuma and Noa because it was in fucking italian dammit.

And I already said I have the raws and the italian translation of the manga.
I volunteer to scanlate it if somebody translates from the original, because the italian version seems to have some lines altered, and it would lose all sense to double translate it.
>>
Did I miss something? I heard the tv show was supposed to have a dragon. I don't remember that.
>>
>>12269810
That's my interpretation of it as well, I think I remember the thread. It seems pretty detached from normal Patlabor but I can't think of another way to have it make sense within the context of the series. I don't know, maybe I'm just a pathetic shipper in denial.
>>12269952
It was either a dragon or a kaiju, they never quite agreed.
>>
>>12270742
>>12269952
It was just some kind of mutant thing. Then there was WXIII which was a similar mutant thing. And then there was the Hiromizilla. And then there was the giant albino crocodile.

And then TNG has a fucking dinosaur.
>>
>>12269952
Maybe it's the resort-town episode?
>>
>>12269952
>>12270757
It was the one where Kanuka took over unit 2 since she had bomb disposal training and they had to find the explosives planted in an expansive underground development.
>>
>>12270742
>It was either a dragon or a kaiju, they never quite agreed.
you're talking the ep with the sportslabor and the woods and stuff from early in, right?
It's clearly Totoro.
>>
>>12270834
No, I think they're talking about the beast in the underground construction.

Speaking of that shit, why haven't geofronts become a thing in reality?
>>
>>12270871
>>12270834
I wasn't talking about (had completely forgotten about) those.

Patlabor has too many monsters.
>>
File: GhostsExist.png (348 KB, 640x538) Image search: [Google]
GhostsExist.png
348 KB, 640x538
Clearly, the biggest difference between the OVA/Movie and TV timelines is the existence of ghosts.
>>
>>12270974
It still amuses me that Goto's plan accounted for Noa and Asuma getting up to some shit. Even he knows who the protagonists are.
>>
>>12269722

The fight in the bath house was wonderful
>>
>>12269696
I like OVA2 but I'm of the opinion that it has a few too many completely off topic episodes. I know this sounds like a strange complaint for Patlabor, but it's jarring coming off three or so focused explicitly on the Griffon arc to go right back into normal relaxed Patlabor stuff. Still has some of the best episodes of TV, though.
>>
>>12271566
I'm pretty sure the moon release staggered them back and forth from Griffon and relax originally.
>>
>>12271572
That makes sense. I'd heard something about differences between chronological order and air date, but I wasn't clear on it.
>>
File: no taste.png (385 KB, 750x417) Image search: [Google]
no taste.png
385 KB, 750x417
>>12253325
For your sake I hope you are just trolling.
>>
>>12247365
Never watched the show? What makes it stand out as a series?
>>
>>12271585
There's no good way to describe it.
>>
>>12271585
It was the first /m/ series to be made by /m/en, and it never decides if it wants to take the piss or outdo the competition. Fortunately, it does both.
>>
>>12271621
>It was the first /m/ series to be made by /m/en
I'm pretty sure that's Macross.
>>
>>12271629
I think you understand what I'm trying to convey, anon.
>>
>>12271646
No I don't unless by that you mean episodes are widely different between each other.
>>
File: 1409455326205.jpg (2 MB, 1589x2386) Image search: [Google]
1409455326205.jpg
2 MB, 1589x2386
>>12271653
How about you just watch one of the most loved and recommended things on /m/? It's cute mecha police doing cute things while occasionally doing serious things, with the movies being significantly more serious than any other version of the franchise. Oshii directed the first two movies and a lot of the OVAs and TV series, the franchise was his baby along with the rest of Headgear.
>>
>>12271659
>Oshii directed the first two movies and a lot of the OVAs and TV series, the franchise was his baby along with the rest of Headgear.

That's not how you hype a series, Anon.
>>
>>12271661
It was before he turned everything into a mouthpiece, when he was still a top tier director. The first movie in particular is probably the best mecha movie out there.
>>
>>12271659
>the franchise was his baby along with the rest of Headgear.
That alone would make some people instadrop it.

>>12271664
>The first movie in particular is probably the best mecha movie out there.
[Doubt]
>>
File: 1405976864340.jpg (125 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1405976864340.jpg
125 KB, 1440x1080
>>12271670
You seem extremely determined to not be recommended a series you asked about, anon.
>>
>>12271671
I didn't ask about anything.
>>
>>12271674
I apologize, I assumed you were the anon who posted and asked about the franchise.
>>
>>12271670
Is the Oshii hate train really that bad these days? He has his failings, but he's still directed several outstanding movies.
>>
>>12271661
This is Urusei Yatsura Oshii, before he became Ghost in the Shell Oshii.
>>
>>12271585
What's unique about Patlabor is that it has a rather cynical attitude towards /m/echa. The creators and the characters understand how impractical giant robots are but still love them anyways. It's as if /m/ was one big fat tsundere.

Couple that with an extremely likeable cast of characters and you have one of the most memorable /m/ franchises
>>
>>12271758

What if I like both Oshiis?

>>12271685
>Is the Oshii hate train really that bad these days?

Victim of his own success. Hype backlash.
>>
>>12268329
That reideen reference was so...weird. Production IG has so many other works under their belt, why did they dig out REIDEEN?
>>
>>12271770
>Victim of his own success.
Please.
>>
>>12271780
That is not an argument on its own.
>>
>>12271770
I like both Oshiis too, but they're different Oshiis until you get to Beautiful Dreamer.
>>
Does anybody else get a really strong Thunderbirds feeling whenever SV2 does rescue work?
>>
>>12247365
Probably she got replaced due to some seyuu problems. Too bad, I really liked her.
>>
File: ota.png (243 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
ota.png
243 KB, 400x296
>>12261030
>>12261017
inb4 in the TNG movie they go "holy shit we can't handle this, he may be a dangerous criminal but we need help from... HIM"
>>
>>12272903
So >>12267740 is actually HIM locked up in >>12266866 ?
>>
>>12272916
>the legacy of SV2
>Ota kept in cold sleep to be awakened to save mankind at the end of days

Sounds about right
>>
>>12272903
>>12272922
Fund it.
>>
>>12272922
CANT STOP
JUST AN OTA
>>
>new Generations is a bunch of new characters

Don't care. I want to see my beloved team again. I have no investment in these new people.

Do they at least explain what happened to the old cast? Ota and Sasaki were mentioned.

Is Noa off piloting military labors? I want that to be her future. Married to Asuma.
>>
>>12273127
>Do they at least explain what happened to the old cast?
mostly
also Shige's in it
>>
>>12273145

What happened to Noa?

What happened to Noa?

What happened to Noa?
>>
>>12273188

>>12261421
>>
>>12272903
I'm just saying, I doubt Ota is top of the list for 'top tier ex-SV2 pilots to call in in case of emergency'.
>>
>>12273127
Why military labors? TV had her outright reject an offer to, and movie 2 had her decide that while she loves labors she doesn't want them to define her identity, and I can't think of a more identity a defining way to pilot labors than the JGSDF.
>>
>>12273498
That's because you watched the mangled subs which erased all the lines which had Goto talk about what a great shot he is.
>>
>>12273517

Well what else would she do? Something boring like a home life?

> that while she loves labors she doesn't want them to define her identity,

That could mean many things.
>>
Reminder that in Patlabor universe military helis would absolutely wreck labors.
>>
>>12275457
She tests Labor prototypes at Shinohara Industries while Asuma is groomed to take over from his dad. I'd say she has job security and a satisfying career.
>>
>>12275500
>while Asuma is groomed to take over from his dad.

Worst end. Asuma just isn't the corporate exec type.
>>
>>12273653
I'm not saying he isn't a good pilot, just that if you were bringing back one and only one of the original SV2 it would certainly be Noa.
>>
>>12275500
>>12275667
The way I read it, they were both doing pretty much the same thing as they were in Patlabor 2 but on SHI payroll rather than as police liaisons.
>>
I just got done with the first and second Patlabor movies, and I have a question.

Why the absolute fuck do people prefer the second movie to the first, or even like it at all? It was nothing but pretty cinematography, a half-baked political message about the JSDF's involvement in shit, and a rehash of the military takeover plot from the OVA. The first movie crafted such an intricate detective plot that kept you guessing and waiting for the next revelation, while this one was just filled up with silent shots of scenery for a third of it.
>>
>>12275840
>while this one was just filled up with silent shots of scenery for a third of it.

The mark of a full time pleb everyone.
>>
>>12275840

Patlabor 1 = film
Patlabor 3 = flick
Patlabor 2 = Cinema
>>
>>12275840
>and a rehash of the military takeover plot from the OVA.

And that plot felt really, really rushed. It needed another half hour at least. It's nice we got to see a movie.
>>
>>12275840

It's an Oshii film. If you don't like it, you don't like Oshii.

I adore his films. Stray Dog is 2/3 just scenery shots while gorgeous music plays. Love that stuff. Adored those scenery shots in Ghost in the Shell too.
>>
>>12275801
She has garbage aim compared to him and they're fighting stealth helicopters in here.
>>
>>12276571
In that case, why not break out the anti-material rifle they seem to have lying around?
>>
>>12276575
>TNG SV2
>having any equipment still working

They can barely get the Ingrams moving. The last time there was a fight in the show (against the Russian labor) all Akira's had to do was kneel and shoot and the kneeling part broke its leg.
>>
>>12276578
Interesting. You know, I seem to recall a note about Ota's piloting style being based around fast and inefficient movements. That probably wouldn't end well.
>>
>>12276582
>US Manga Corps subs
>>
>>12276584
>Everything bad about Ota is because of the shit subs
No. Ota has faster response times to orders but his movements were less efficient. Noa was a little slower off the mark but ended up completing movements sooner, using slightly less power.
>>
>>12275840
>Why the absolute fuck do people prefer the second movie to the first
A lot of people on /m/ prefer the first to the second.
But they're plebs and it always comes down to "muh noa".
>>
>>12276616
More Noa is nice, but I think it presents a far tighter and more enjoyable experience. 2 makes some astute observations about the ethics of the position Japan considers itself to have in international politics and has some outstanding sequences, but it's too Oshii for its own good. The focus on the two least seen characters of OVA1 and TV without actually adding anything that couldn't be seen or inferred before at the cost of attention to the other characters who are actually developing didn't help, either.
>>
>>12273498
You can say what you want about Ota, but his protege in TNG is even MORE incompetent.

Instead of MERELY being a trigger-happy gun-nut like Ota, Otawara is a drunkard with twice the insanity.
https://youtu.be/twnXP1taY6A
>>
>>12272278
I like the K*ppa song
https://youtu.be/q7hN3htPipQ
>>
>>12276866
>Insane drunk Ota
Dear god no
>>
I was gonna call the acting in Next Generation bad, but then I realized that they're propably copying the exaggerated comedy style of acting from anime. It just looks really weird in live action.
>>
>>12277219
Nah it's just honestly bad.
>>
>>12277229
At least it's crazy.
>>
>>12275840
At least it had neat aircraft on screen. For like, 90 seconds.
>>
>>12277219
But the anime was full of good performances and they could be serious when required.
>>
>>12277333
Chiba's acting is fine, it's some of the others who are fucking terrible.

like >>12276866
>>
>>12278021
I wonder if Chiba is even acting? I thought he was just being himself.
>>
>>12271776
It's a joke

because reideen is terrible
>>
>>12278021
>>12278145
Yes, he is being himself, because he IS Shige-san deep in his heart.
>>
>>12278021
From what I've seen at least, they cast replacement Noa pretty well. How are the other core replacements?
>>
>>12280498
The main cast is mostly okay except for Hiromichi (notHiromi) and Otawara (notOta).

The new maintenance guy, Buchiyama (who takes over Shige's old role while Shige take's over Sakaki's) is alright too.

It's mostly the guests like the convenience mart terrorists and the kaijuu episodes' mayor who ham it up way too hard.

Doesn't help that some of the episodes' directors seem to think that since the show is based on a cartoon it ought to have goddamned looney tunes level slapstick shit in it (which looks ridiculously out of place).
>>
>>12280947
That's interesting, since a lot of the best humor in Patlabor came from playing it like a live-action series.
>>
>>12280978
Not one but TWO fucking episodes ended with mushroom cloud explosions
>>
>>12280981
Yeah, even for Patlabor that's way too much. Even when it was being silly it had continuity.
>>
>>12280983
>>12280981
Actually now that I think about it the dinosaur episode might have ended with an explosion too, making it three. Can't quite recall.

Did I mention the fucking Scooby Doo chase scene with a dinosaur suit? Because that happened too. Granted, it was a sequel to the albino crocodile episode, but still.
>>
>>12281039
There are some things that should not make the transition. That chase seems like one of them. All they had to do was make The Office but with japanese mecha police and it would be the perfect live-action adaption.
>>
File: Tekken_Akira.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tekken_Akira.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>12280498
>Old Noa is /m/
>New Noa is /v/
>>
>>12281239
You know, I don't think old Noa ever assaulted anybody like that.
>>
File: dubs.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dubs.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>12281249
like how?
>>
File: [OZC]Patlabor The Movie (3).jpg (114 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
[OZC]Patlabor The Movie (3).jpg
114 KB, 1920x1040
>>12281293
I don't think I like new Noa. What does the maintenance team think of her? Old Noa was pretty widely liked and/or the team waifu.
>>
>>12281321
Not sure about team waifu but the maintenance team has its own gurls now.
>>
>>12281357
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. No more civil wars fueled by the destruction of porn, I guess.
>>
File: SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>12281388
Yeah I guess they're all clean and healthy now.
>>
>>12281464
This feels like the flavour of absurdity they should be pushing rather than the kind trying to make it a cartoon.
>>
>>12281249
>>12281239

In fact, old Noa is very physically tiny and weak. She can't even do Judo like the other girls. She's impressive when she's in her Pat Labor.
>>
>>12281696
I think tiny and weak might be a bit harsh, but she was certainly lacking when it came to physical presence. She held her own just fine against a criminal armed with a knife that one time, so it's not like she's helpless.
>>
>>12281321
I'm with you.
not a fan.
>>
>>12281696
She did better than the rest of SV2 against Kumagami.
>>
>>12281494
This I agree with.

Pic related on the other hand is not the type of absurdity I expected or wanted. (Especially not in an otherwise serious episode with Kasha having to kill the guy who taught her sniping)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw8Tz-6yZ1s
>>
>>12253416
>mfw the camerawork
Looks better than any Japanese TV thing I've seen. And I don't mean just toku.
>>
>>12282653
Yeah, not really sure what that's going for but it isn't working regardless.
>>
>>12283456
Everyone is Golgo 13.
>>
>>12282671
Probably one of the episodes that Oshii directed. He sees little difference between 2D and 3D when it comes to how he handles it, which has both its benefits and failings.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.