[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zeta Gundam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 16
>Started watching pic related
>21 episodes in.

>Expecting a deep story about the social and political fallout of the one year war.
>Expecting oppressed spacenoids starting their fight for independence from the bottom without Zeon.
>Expecting Earthnoids to still be reeling from the effects of Operation British.
>Expecting Israel/Palestine with giant robots.

>The Titans are just a more one-dimensional Zeon.
>They even have the same mobile suits and uniforms wtf.
>Titans don't seem to answer to anyone politically, and even fuck Earthnoids up.
>Almost everyone is retarded or one-dimensional.
>Nobody gets character arcs but Kamille.
>Newtypes go from being normal people with powers to blue-haired space autists.

What is this what is going on when does it all end I hope ZZ is better
>>
>>14282645
The Titans are probably the worst faction in the entirety of all the Gundam franchise,
Zeta in general is just really rushed and extremely poorly written, you would be really surprised to think the same person who wrote 0079, Victory, Turn A, G-Reco and to a lesser extent ZZ, made Zeta.
I can't even say it looked good, because while it had a few scenes here or there that were largely still to look good, Zeta still also had QUALITY up the wazoo.

And I can't really tell you if ZZ is better, I certainly thought it was better and enjoyed it a bit more. It's still not nearly as good as Tomino's non-Zeta series Gundam shows, but enjoyable for me nonetheless.
>>
>>14282658
>Zeta in general is just really rushed and extremely poorly written, you would be really surprised to think the same person who wrote 0079, Victory, Turn A, G-Reco and to a lesser extent ZZ, made Zeta.
I blame Banrise for getting in control of the franchise
>>
>>14282658
> you would be really surprised to think the same person who wrote 0079, Victory, Turn A, G-Reco and to a lesser extent ZZ, made Zeta.
No, I fucking woudn't.
>>
>>14282730
I would, given that Zeta is the only one that is completely and utterly tonally and narratively different than the others he made.
>>
File: z (11).jpg (610 KB, 964x906) Image search: [Google]
z (11).jpg
610 KB, 964x906
>massive amounts of anti-Zeta threads on /m/ lately

>none of them offer any objective criticism of the series, just crybaby reactions to something held in high regard by a fanbase, an cliche attack method by 4chan posters for years as a means to get attention

pathetic

You will never believe in the sign

Zeta has earned its popularity because of its groundbreaking quality that millennials will continue to try to tarnish, and they will fail miserably.
>>
Didn't we have this thread last week? Same OP image, same text? I don't know. Maybe things are just starting to get stale and samey around here.
>>
File: Stick to AZ.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Stick to AZ.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>14282645
You just don't get it :)
>>
>>14282792
KEEP WATCHING! EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.
>>
>>14282762
He actually elaborated on the critisism as opposed to you.
>>14282667
I keep reading this? How did they fuck up Zeta? I know they were behind the terrible pacing at the beginning of Victory.
>>
When will this Zeta sucks meme end?
>>
>>14282645
I quit a few months ago around ep 40.

It really feels like nothing happens. I think ima get back now.

>>14282762
It has great quality cinematics don't get me wrong. Even better animation than seed or G. But really subpar screenplay when it comes to the characters. And some conflicts are really retarded.

The formula goes like this. Get into tiny skirmishes with the titans and then retreat. Gets stale pretty fast.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 284x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 284x400
Why is ANT considered bad when it is almost exactly the same as Zeta? Is it because Zeta has always been bad an people don't realize it until they rewatch it in ANT form?
>>
>>14282830
When enough people believe the meme that the people who like Zeta are perceived as the edgy outsiders and the Zeta haters are the lame sheeple following the crowd.

Either that or when people start saging, stop giving OP the (You) that he wants, or starting just ignoring altogether. None of those will ever happen, though.
>>
>>14282849
Because they needlessly threw Amuro onto the cover. Seriously, dudes in like 5 episodes top. Kamille is in all of them. Quattro is in almost all of them. Fuck, I think Haman was in more episodes than Amuro.
>>
>>14282855
He's in all 3 New Translations, though.
>>
>>14282645
>all those baseless expectations
where did you get the idea it would be isreal/palestine? like... do you just make things up and get upset when your imaginary stories arent what happens?

the titans are very one dimensional, however they fit very well into the themes of Gundam, where the Earth Federation is know to be corrupt and elitist.

they have different mobile suits and uniforms, barring the hi-zack which was obviously banrise trying to make shekels off of the Zaku fags.

Titans are the political elite, therefore they dont need to answer to anyone. There are numerous political groups in history who have had this kind of absolute and corrupt power, so you cant say it is a plot hole or unrealistic.

Everyone is not one dimensional, though there are a few unlikable characters (Katz/Reccoa)
if you cant see the motivations and complexity of the characters, you are the problem. But i will give you that Zeta could have been written and paced much better.

Quattro, Amuro, Fa, Appolly, Reccoa, Katz, and Emma all have character arcs. Not just kamille

Newtypes have been space autists since Amuro, and blue hair is not new (Garma)

Zeta isnt perfect but you are a double nigger if these are your complaints
>>
>>14282868
>barring the hi-zack which was obviously banrise trying to make shekels off of the Zaku fags.
The reason was so that kids would know who the baddies were.
>>
/m/ has pretty much scared me away from ever watching Zeta

- a newfag
>>
>>14282645
>21 episodes in.
Zeta Gundam's last 10 episodes are some of the best in the franchise. So hang in there. Plus most Gundams have a slump around the late teens and early 20's, then pick up around the mid 20's for the mid season up-grade, then slump again until the last 15 episodes when the story reaches it's climax. I remember some time around episode 37 being the turning point for me with Zeta. Around the time Axis arrives and we get that 3 way conflict.
>>
>>14282907
Zeta is one of the best gundams. have fun missing out.
>>
>>14282907
Don't put too much stock in /m/. /m/ hates everything.
>>
>>14282907
We had a thread a couple months back where people bragged about the shows they've stopped people from watching yet haven't actually seen themselves. OP's pic was from Zeta Gundam. Shame.

Watch it for yourself. /m/'s opinion should never be a deciding factor in whether or not you should at least try to watch a show.
>>
>>14282907
If you only watch /m/ approved Gundam you'll get to see 0079.
>>
>>14282861
What. How the hell did they chop the series up? There were two Earth arcs in Zeta. The first one Amuro didn't even show up until several episodes into it, the latter was only a few episodes long. ANT plz.
>>
>>14282969
The first ANT ends with Amuro's arrival, then he's also in the 2nd one. I don't think he's in third one though, since it cuts the 2nd Earth arc.
>>
>>14282658
>some fag says G-Reco is good while Zeta is bad

Now I can die happy knowing I've seen everything.
>>
>>14282969
>>14282996
He is in the third one. It's newly animated footage that's basically just there to ensure that Amuro is in the movie, during the epilogue at the end.
>>
>>14282868
>Titans are the political elite

No not really Jamitov wants to kill the elite and take total control. He's playing with them that's all.
>>
>>14282997
it was just 2deep4u bro.
>>
>>14282907
You'll never watch anything then. Most people on /m/ nowadays also haven't watched anything and just like to shitpost, so I guess you'll be allright.
>>
>>14282658
>The Titans are probably the worst faction in the entirety of all the Gundam franchise,

>saying this post-LOGOS and Vagans

Nah, son.
>>
>>14282868
>do you just make things up and get upset when your imaginary stories arent what happens?
Not the Anon you were responding to, but what you're describing always happens to me. Most recent example, I watched the intro to Xenogears like, thirty times over the course of playing the game, and developed all these ideas on what the events meant—as you're supposed to, I have to imagine. But then some of my guesses are contradicted, or things are just never addressed, and it left me just a little disappointed. Overall, I loved the ending, but I can't deny I was a little bummed out.

I guess OP's case is entirely different, since he developed expectations from before he even started watching Zeta. So I guess a better example would be what I thought Metal Gear Solid V would be about—thanks mostly to the trailers—and how that compared to what the game was actually about, and how I was disappointed.

This sort of disappointment can sound unreasonable, but to some extent it's unavoidable in any work that gives you time to think about what might happen. And certain works should give you that time.
>>
>>14282997
Good to know that you can now die knowing the truth.
>>
>>14282645
I ended up only finishing the show to see what kind of wacky antics would unfold
>>
>>14284653
>I watched the intro to Xenogears like, thirty times over the course of playing the game, and developed all these ideas on what the events meant—as you're supposed to, I have to imagine. But then some of my guesses are contradicted, or things are just never addressed, and it left me just a little disappointed.

Did you guess that a computer designed to wage war came in contact with God, causing it to become sentient and rage out of control?

Because that's what happened.
>>
>>14282645

>>Expecting Israel/Palestine with giant robots.

Why would you expect Tomino to write your fanfiction for you 30 years before you thought of it ?

>21 episodes in.
>Nobody gets character arcs but Kamille.

Pay attention, Amuro just had an entire character arc.

>>Almost everyone is retarded or one-dimensional.

Care to give examples ?

>>Newtypes go from being normal people with powers to blue-haired space autists.

Yes because Lalah and Amuro were so normal. Kamille starts off as being pretty erratic, but he is basically just Amuro when he stole the Gundam turned up to 11, until he starts to chill after the first 5/6 episodes.

>>The Titans are just a more one-dimensional Zeon.

Keep watching, I can see how you might think that, by the end if you pay attention you won't anymore.

>>14282849
Because they cut out most of the important character development, and things move forward too fast to get involved with any of the plotlines. It is just a mess save the pretty new battles.

Man, anti-Zeta threads are the worst. Maybe it's because I've watched the thing 6 or 7 times, but it is hard for me to take criticisms seriously when they are based on problems with the viewer rather than the show, and don't even match up with what happened in the show most of the time.
>>
>>14284837
Not OP, but Zeta is a hard show for some people to muster enough energy to care about in the first place
>>
>>14282645
This again.
>>
>>14284837
>but it is hard for me to take criticisms seriously when they are based on problems with the viewer rather than the show, and don't even match up with what happened in the show most of the time.

Amazing for me it's the opposite, "that's not true it never happened" then I post screen caps from the show flat out pointing out it did, and what do you know no reply ever arrives.
>>
>>14282645
zeta fag its like a self fulfilling prophecy
>>
Fuck it, downloading New Translation.

>>14284837
>Why would you expect Tomino to write your fanfiction for you 30 years before you thought of it ?

I'd at least expect him to approach it with some gravity. 0079 was ordinary people put in a tough situation who had to counter and react to other ordinary people put in a tough situation. Sometimes Zeta reaches 0079 heights (there were a lot of great moments on Earth before they got to HK), but most of the time it just doesn't feel really engaging.

>Amuro just had an entire character arc.

I'll give you that. He even retained a lot of his old personality too. Hayato was great too, because he was down to Earth.

>Care to give examples ?

In just the first few episodes:
>Kamille picks a fight with someone because he makes fun of his name, gets his ass kicked and thrown in holding, and is so upset about it that he steals a robot and joins a terrorist outfit.
>The Titans, upset over what just happened, decided to use his parents as hostages, even though they're the most important engineers working on the RX-178. Their deaths would be a boon for the AEUG, but this isn't even considered.
>Jerid kills Kamille's mom on accident. Despite her being an important resource for the Titans, he is never punished for it.
>Jerid gets mad at Kamille for getting mad at him for killing his mom.

It was still kind of neat for the Bidan family to be an EXTREME version of the Ray family, but it's hard to engage with these cheap circumstances.

>Yes because Lalah and Amuro were so normal.

0079's Newtypes were: normal kid, Indian peasant, mid-tier General, Char. I guess that goes back to the 'ordinary dudes' thing from earlier. Four and Sirocco aren't as charismatic.

>Keep watching, I can see how you might think that, by the end if you pay attention you won't anymore.

If ANT is good, I'll kick myself and go back to watch the episodes proper.
>>
>>14288136

I don't see how 0079 characters are any more "normal" than Zeta characters.

He is a 17 year old boy who spends most of his time trying to prove his masculinity ( he goes into depth about this with Four). I hit plenty of people as a teenager for stupider shit than that, and my home life was'nt even bad like Kamille's was. Unlikely circumstances happen and he makes a choice in a split second that some of us would not make. The Titans were assholes, he had a horrible family life, and he felt marginalized and emasculated - while being a 17 year old with hormones raging. So he escapes the Titans after hitting an office while in a panic. Now what can he do?, he will get into huge shit and will continue to be abused, emasculated, and marginalized if he goes back, and suddenly a giant robot falls into sight that he can pilot and suddenly feel powerful for once. I don't find it unrealistic at all that a 17 year old kid could be a bit unhinged and join a terrorist group in a situation like Kamille's. The real asspull is him not getting shot down right away, but the colony was under attack and Kamille already had Jr.MS training, so it is fine.

For the rest. Your reasoning doesn't pan out. The assumption was that Kamille would come back with his mom being a hostage, and that the AEUG were way to soft to go kill some kids mom after he gives them a Gundam.

Jerid was never told that Kamille's mom was in the capsule, he thought it was just explosives or something. He was told to shoot the capsule if Kamille was uncooperative, and he did. Any punishment would go to Jerid's commanding officer, not him. Jerid was just following orders, and was entirely unaware about what was going on.

Then when he finds out and Kamille rages at him he has to react, he is shocked, just got tricked into killing a civillian, and now has the kid who started this whole mess raging after him, obviously this will stress him out and make him pissed off.

1/2
>>
>>14288287

How is Amuro any more "realistic"?

When his colony is under attack he gets into a random robot instead of running to a shelter, manages to be half competent at piloting it. Later he steals the Gundam from his military commander and runs away because they said mean things about him.

Zeta's characters are a bit more erratic than the characters of the original. But real life people do erratic and irrational things all the time, especially in high stress situations, which is the situation in Zeta 90% of the time. Zeta's characters don't act like stereotypical overly cool and collected anime characters, with perfect monologues and near impenetrable master plans, they are just erratic and short sighted idiots like most real people you meet when they are under stress. It's one of the best parts of the show. 0079 already was going in this direction with characters like Char, Zeta was just Tomino's characterization really coming into it's own.
>>
I'm about 3/4 through it. It just doesn't make any sense with the rest of the UC material.

So much ridiculous crap for no reason. They do a horrid job explaining why any of the AEUG vs Titans crap really came to be.

I am absolutely sick of titans just kinda being accepted as this military force that really runs things but constantly does terrible things to civilians with impunity.

Also, Jarid, who keeps giving him work? The guy has failed EVERY mission he has ever been given and is treated like he's special.
>>
>>14288297
He's also survived every deployment against the AEUG he's been given, which is more than most of his teammates can say.
>>
>>14288298
There's a bunch of other guys in the titans who can also make that claim. Very few named titan pilots get killed.

Surviving is one thing, but people generally don't fail upwards like that, constantly being given greater responsibility and resources AND respect.
>>
>>14282849
>Why is ANT considered bad when it is almost exactly the same as Zeta? Is it because Zeta has always been bad an people don't realize it until they rewatch it in ANT form?

You hit the nail on the head. ANT may have lets say technical problems (intermingling of old school animation with modern CG) and people rightly complain about them but the core of the story is the same as Zeta. Every problem Zeta had is amplified in ANT. It's just that most Zeta fags don't want to recognise that the source material of ANT had its fair share of problems. A very elitist and stupid attitude to have.
>>
>>14288305
People don't like ANT because it makes ZZ and Unicorn non canon.
>>
>>14288305

Both are god awful yet ANT manages to make it even worse. Movie 2 especially is the absolute worst thing I ever saw in my life.

>ANT may have lets say technical problems (intermingling of old school animation with modern CG

Which is flat out unacceptable for a studio such as Sunrise not to mention their flag ship series U.C Gundam.
>>
>>14288321
>trying to summon black knight
stop
>>
>>14288295
>under stress

This here is one of my biggest issues with Zeta. No matter how well written and realistic the show is, if the tone of the situation being portrayed falls flat then almost nothing significant in terms of theme will reach the audience. There are very little moments where the tension and suspense can be felt, and where the aftereffects of these heavy situations are exhibited.
An example could be Kamille watching his mother and father die, for both times he cries, and flails around, they make him retreat, and then the very next episode Kamille is the same only a tad quieter, no grief stricken moments before he matures, and don't throw bullshit that Kamille didn't love his parents. Kamille never had moments like Amuro where his development became a deconstruction only to be decently developed when he bounces back.
The colony gassing is another example. Earlier in the show the Argama team stopped a colony gassing (which was actually a pretty tense scene), talking about how terrible it would be for millions to die, and how they need to stop it, etc. Then the repeat operation with Reccoa actually succeeds, and all we're shown of the aftereffects is a dead child for a 10 second scene. Never again do we hear about it in the episodes after, or does any character bring it up against Reccoa, and she herself bringing it up in guilt.

Consequences don't feel like consequences.

You can tell me all you want about the genius writing in which irrational characters act irrational, and realistically, but Zeta did an inadequate job at portraying it.
If anything nowadays I'm more likely to argue that Zeta in part of the Theatre of the Absurd.
>>
>>14288298

Not him but that's not really a reason to keep giving him the new top of the line mechs. He has a tendency to get shit trashed.
>>
>>14288435

He was alright with the Byarlant now why the hell they decided to give him the Bound Doc, outside of the fact that the suit had barely been featured hence give it more screen time because toys.
>>
>>14288136
ANT changes a lot of stuff near the ending though.
And it really drops the ball in the truly great parts of Zeta, which are it's last 10 or so episodes. People mostly hold Zeta in such high standards because the final impression it gives is good, and they either forget or forgive the bad parts over time.
>>
>>14288415

I feel the tension just fine throughout the majority of the show, it all reached me personally.

>An example could be Kamille watching his mother and father die, for both times he cries, and flails around, they make him retreat, and then the very next episode Kamille is the same only a tad quieter,

The episode after his mother dies he gets captured, meets his father, flips out at him and gets slapped by him. So in the case of his mother you are just wrong. We do see his grief from the event that happened the episode before. On the episode when his father dies he tries to keep his emotions down, but Char triggers him and he ends up running off crying. By the next episode he is not still crying about, but he still isn't cheery, he also mentions in a later episode that it isn't fair that the Argama crew has expectations of him when he just lost his parents. It also comes up later when he is trying to relate to Four. It becomes extremely important because Four points out that Kamille trying to relate to her with the fact that he lost his parents and had such a hard time is bullshit because at least he had memories of parents unlike her. We feel the weight of the instance after the fact in the way it affected how Kamille saw himself, and the way in which he thought he could relate to people is directly affected by these events many episodes ahead in the show. The continuity and weight are clearly present if you pay attention to the show.
>>
>>14288752

cont

>Kamille never had moments like Amuro where his development became a deconstruction only to be decently developed when he bounces back.

I don't see how that is any more "realistic" or better though. Kamille has minor up's and down's throughout the whole show, gradually and subtlety developing, rather than having just a few dramatic downs that stand out, followed by highlighted dramatic ups. What makes the show what it is is that the tension, failure, and general shittyness of the setting is constant, you don't get any real relief from the downs. Some characters learn to deal with it better and identify the real issues through all the bullshit, but sudden revelations that highlight exactly where the development comes in is way less organic and overly dramatized in comparison to what Zeta does.

>Then the repeat operation with Reccoa actually succeeds, and all we're shown of the aftereffects is a dead child for a 10 second scene. Never again do we hear about it in the episodes after, or does any character bring it up against Reccoa, and she herself bringing it up in guilt.

Yes they do. Kamille calls her out on it right after she does it. I don't see why they would need to go back and mention that specific part of her betrayal, its pretty much a given at that point that working with the Titans in space means omitting atrocities, dwelling on that specific instance isn't needed.
>>
>>14288754

cont

>but Zeta did an inadequate job at portraying it.

I don't see how.

Also, you aren't denying that there is tension ( or at least you gave no examples where it fails on this front), your examples are you complaining that the tension doesn't resolve in the way you want it too ( in the traditional dramatic narrative way that most generic anime provides) but that just isn't the kind of show that Zeta is, nor should it be. It is about keeping the tension near constant and not having many overly dramatized instances of relief. It is about adding layers and layers or problems that mostly causes the characters to sink and perish, some to lesser enough degree that they barely manage to make it through.

I think the original Gundam was great at what it did, but while Zeta does build off allot of its themes, it really is a different show thematically, and there is nothing wrong with this. It isn't just "Gundam Part II" , and it probably would have been a much less interesting show if it was.
>>
File: 1464077612090.jpg (82 KB, 1280x974) Image search: [Google]
1464077612090.jpg
82 KB, 1280x974
>>14282645

>>
>>14282645
>>Expecting a deep story about the social and political fallout of the one year war.
>>Expecting oppressed spacenoids starting their fight for independence from the bottom without Zeon.
>>Expecting Earthnoids to still be reeling from the effects of Operation British.
>>Expecting Israel/Palestine with giant robots.

You're an idiot for expecting any of these things out of a show whose sole purpose is to sell toys of giant robots.
>>
>>14288797
That's a good point.

OP should have done himself a favor: just watch MSG and ignore the rest of the franchise.
>>
>>14288295

>It's ostensibly like real life so it's good

Uh-huh.
>>
>Keep watching, I can see how you might think that, by the end if you pay attention you won't anymore.

Oh, fuck off, is this lame-duck excuse being extended to his other works now?
>>
Could you theoretically give the Zeta a gerwalk mode?
>>
>>14288295
>But real life people do erratic and irrational things all the time
No they don't. They do occasionally, but characters in Zeta are constantly bickering to the point past which one can take it seriously. Which in turn undermines the whole story, since it gives the viewer less reason to care about what's going on
>>
>>14288854
>Zetafags and Grecofags are one and the same.

Not surprising. It's funny watching their panic as everyone else realizes Tomino is a hack who can't write or direct for shit ç
>>
File: 1227930886883.jpg (26 KB, 450x480) Image search: [Google]
1227930886883.jpg
26 KB, 450x480
>>14289675
Of course!
>>
File: 1184189268334.jpg (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1184189268334.jpg
120 KB, 800x600
>>14289675
>>14289899
>>
>>14289899
It looks like it has a bird's face.
>>
>>14283530
>post-LOGOS
Nah. The Earth Alliance became stupid bad guys halfway through SEED, before that Logos bullshit in Destiny.
>>
>14288797
>It's your fault for thinking Zeta would be good.

You got me there.
>>
>>14289691
Tomino really is the George Lucas of Japan. There's a lot of neat ideas in UC that just don't get fleshed out because he doesn't have the skill to do it.

Compare The Origin to 0079 proper and you'll see what I mean. Characters like Kycilia and M'Quve get more characterization in their introductions than they do in the whole show.
>>
File: 1462143380310.jpg (95 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
1462143380310.jpg
95 KB, 467x700
>>14290521
>Tomino really is the George Lucas of Japan. There's a lot of neat ideas in UC that just don't get fleshed out because he doesn't have the skill to do it.
Dude, there's a reason why the original films are so much better than the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>14290521
But Kycilia was one of the weakest points of The Origin.

Her original characterization was thrown away for a more unambiguously evil role, which then was used as a scrapegoat to justify some of other characters more extreme actions.

Origin tried way too hard to shift the blame of everything on Kycilia.
>>
I think Zeta is
good :^)
>>
>>14290521
It's funny that people only cite Zeta -> ZZ for mood whiplash because it's true of all Tomino UC series. Going from MSG to Zeta is a huge shift in mood and tone. Ditto going ZZ to Victory. Hell, you could even include CCA & F91 in there. Dudes just all over the place, the only consistency he has is that he's inconsistent as all hell.
>>
>>14290578
Yeah, it seems like he goes for a different tone for every Gundam related project of his.
Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't, and for some people it never worked.

It's been like that for decades. I don't get why people have went on this Tomino hate train out of nowhere.
>>
>>14290555
The moral of Origin is women ruin everything.
>>
>>14290578
For the most part, I'd assume it's because they're basically two parts of the same series. It's also way bigger than any other. The end of Zeta and the beginning of ZZ are like polar opposites and back to back at that. No one's going to watch Victory directly after ZZ, that's just dumb.
>>
>>14282645
Man, there is a bunch of shitty side characters that pissed me off like Katz, that girl that sucks Amuro's dick, Fa, literally all of the Titans
Kamille and Char are the only ones I truly cared about
>>
>>14289689

When you live in suburbia in peace time, people don't nearly as much. When you are living in the aftermath of the death of half of humanity with a high chance of you dying in the next few weeks you do. And lots of people don't find the constant bickering to go past what they can take seriously, nor does it give everyone less a reason to care about things. When I watched it the way they used the constant bickering kept my attention because it maintains the tense and downtrodden atmosphere so well, the music did a great job highlighting this atmosphere as well - being fairly dark most of the time. If that part was changed the whole thing would have been altered in a negative way, and the different aspects of the show would have worked less well together imo.

>>14288844
That isn't what makes it good necessarily, what makes something "good" is pretty subjective. But it does show why the criticism in question has no weight. Because people are judging based on a set of criteria that is based on a particular kind of story telling, which isn't what Zeta is trying to do. You don't judge a Jazz group based on the merits you would expect from a hardcore punk band. Expecting the merits of a generic anime narrative in a show like Zeta is off in the same way. Now one person may not like Jazz and want to stick with their hardcore punk ( these genre's are just arbitrary examples btw, I'm not trying to say that Zeta is like a music genre) and that is totally fine, but hating on the Jazz just because it is not hardcore punk is incoherent.
>>
>>14282762
>>14282762

i wish more gundam shows woudl take a page out of zeta and make a gundam but switch up the aesthetic instead of rehashing and rehashing endlessly
>>
>>14291240
Correction: I don't hate Zeta because it's not [insert scenario], I hate it because there's no gravitas or weight to anything that's happening. It's honestly just a generic giant robot show with nothing to draw you in but neat robot designs.
>>
>>14288814
Screw this opinion, 0079 is just as, if not MORE flawed than, Zeta.
And BOTH of them are great.

What an ignorant way to single out so many entries to a mostly good franchise.
>>
>>14288136
For the most part, Zeon was still comically evil. Look at Gihren.
The Titans lower ranking members are actually more fleshed out and possibly more ambiguous than 99% of Zeon's forces, who, outside of a few select examples, were either killed before any characterizations could occur, or were just antagonists.

The only reason the Titans seem more evil and less ambiguous is because they don't get "Ramba Ral meets Amuro at the bar" moments. The only Titan who regularly interacts with the main AEUG cast is Jerid, who despises Kamille, so there's no friendliness between them.
Zeon dropped colonies, held whole towns hostage, and killed tons of people both innocent and not.
And they would have committed ethnic cleansing and genocide after the war too had they won.

In fact, looking at it that way, the Titans may be less evil than Zeon.
>>
>>14291387
What bullshit.
>>
>>14291387
I think it might just not be for you, because for me there was plenty of gravitas and weight and urgency to many of the events in the show and I found the development of the cast and the eventual conclusions to their stories very affecting.

It's one thing to consume media, not like it, but recognize it has merit and that it just doesn't align with your tastes. It's another thing to watch a show and say things like "there was no character development" or "the plot convoluted" when that's objectively not the case. I have to wonder whether a lot of the people who didn't "get" Zeta marathoned it or just never took the time to reflect upon it in between viewing sessions.
>>
>>14291387

>I hate it because there's no gravitas or weight to anything that's happening.

So how do you determine that everyone who thought that there was weight is wrong ? I already showed that your examples don't demonstrate it and don't even match up with what happened in the show. No one cares if you personally weren't drawn in by it. Your own subjective emotions about things aren't anything we want to deny. But you haven't made a convincing case of why the people who did find it to have weight are wrong.
>>
>>14290702
By the end of Zeta I realized that Emma was actually one of the best of the main characters, and easily deserved to survive the Gryps conflict.
>>
>>14292035
>it might just not be for you
Zeta may have been frustrating to watch for me, but seeing this as a main response to my issues with Zeta is just discouraging.

I watched Zeta after watching MSG and expected something similar, as Zeta shares many aspects with the original, but came out dissatisfied, despite falling in love with the original. If it wasn't for me, someone who loved the original, then who is it for? For those who disliked the original? For those that thought a Saturday morning cartoon was too simple for their superior minds? Am I a lesser Gundam fan for not liking Zeta?

Zeta has great character interactions, dialog, and portrayals of people in war, in that I will agree. Where Zeta fails is it's mecha aspects, notably it's battles. Most fights were monotonous 10 minute scenes where both sides shot and screamed at each other missing everything, until one shot hit it's target, then everybody would retreat back to their ships only to repeat it the very next episode. These battle were so identical, I found myself hoping that they would end quickly, so I could get some character interaction instead. In the second half of the show this becomes unbearable and predictable. This is what causes most people to lose any feeling of gravitas or tension. As well as the audience being blue balled from anything significant occurring in a fight scene until the last 4 episodes.
>>
>>14291857
Welcome to /m/.
I like it = It's great, despite a few flaws
I don't like it = It's pure garbage, just look at these flaws!
>>
>>14292367
It's like that everywhere.
>>
>>14292379
Yes, but /m/ wasn't this bad until two or three years ago. More people used to acknowledge there's a middle ground there somewhere.
>>
>>14282830
When Zeta stops sucking.

So, never.
>>
>>14290542
>Dude, there's a reason why the original films are so much better than the prequel trilogy.
Because for the original films Lucas had people to help rein in his more retarded ideas, while for the prequels it was all Lucas (and his massively inflated self-importance) all the time?
>>
>>14292333

There was a short string of battles like that in the second half, but that was hardly the majority. Especially not during the earth arc. Rpisode 30 when Mour gets taken out and Jerid goes nuts in the melee charges was really well choreographed. The whole Earth arc had great battles full of a variety of tactics and dynamic shots, the Mark II getting on the Hyaku Shiki's shoulders so to get enough height to catch the Asshimar is one great example, the Jaburo invasion with Kamille using his waverider as a surfboard is another. The Gaplant vs Zeta battle in episode 26 is incredibly dynamic as well, tons of cover and surprise tactics is used, the battlefield itself shifts several times, and of all things ends with the Gaplant almost taking out the Zeta in a melee on an abandoned ship, and then being saved by Katz in a broken down Gelgoog managing to make one final shot out of the beam rifle before the whole suit falls apart.

The kind of battles you are talking about show up a few times. I don't deny that those kinds of battles happened sometimes, but even most of the open space battles that are fairly close to fitting that description have something unique going for them, like Char sniping with the Hyper Launcher and Reccoa acting as a battery, or the Hambrabi literally violating the Methuss with it's penis spike. And then when there is some kind of environment around Zeta does a fantastic job of showing them utilize cover and a wide variety of combat techniques, as I've been mentioning. Another cool moment I can think of is when Apolly tosses his gun and shoots it so to use it as a flash grenade against an opponent, and of course when Kamille uses his wave rider as a melee weapon.

People say that most of the battles are like that, but looking back I can think of way more battles in Zeta that aren't like that at all, most of the ones that were were quick scuffles, like after Jamitov was assassinated and everyone was just trying to GTFO.
>>
>>14292333
>As well as the audience being blue balled from anything significant occurring in a fight scene until the last 4 episodes.

How is Mour dying, Reccoa getting captured, Scirroco taking over the fucking moon, colony's getting gassed, Yazan killing off his own commander, or Char tanking a hit for Kamille and getting knocked down to earth- starting up the whole Killimanjaro arc- not significant things that occur in battles?
>>
>>14292406
>that one time when Kammille cut open Kakriricons ballust with the wave rider

Fucking brutal
>>
>>14292420
>that time Kamille skinned Yazan alive
>that time Judau broke his sister's and both Puru's kneecaps before selling them into slavery
>that time Heero set fire to a village just to listen to the screams
>that time Kira tore out and ate Nicol's heart using only his bare hands
>that time Uso literally ended the human race
Gundam is brutal
>>
>>14292333
>Am I a lesser Gundam fan for not liking Zeta?

Yes, and you are a piece of shit with tastes to match as well.

Zeta is flawless.
>>
>>14292442
Nice falseflagging.
>>
>>14292445
Is the truth too strong for your feeble mind?
>>
>>14292456
It's precisely because I like Zeta I know you just want to provoke people retarded enough to think you're serious.
I guess since you made me reply twice you deserve this (You).
>>
>>14292413
>Yazan killing off his own commander

Terrible encounter especially since you have Gates there with his Bound Doc flat out sitting there like a idiot during the entire battle not doing anything. Then uwaaaaaa I died too because whatever.
>>
>>14282645
>>Almost everyone is retarded or one-dimensional.

That's anime in general.

Nobody ever said that anime writers were good at what they do.
>>
>>14292466

That was in episode 26, the Bound Doc hadn't even been introduced yet.
>>
>>14291857
>What an ignorant way to single out so many entries to a mostly good franchise.

Really?

When GBF is probably the best Gundam show made in fucking years because it ditches the extraneous fluff and finally embraces what Gundam now exists for, doesn't that say something?
>>
>>14292538
I thought you meant Bask exploding though in the TV series that was Reccoa.
>>
>>14288305
I didn't like Zeta that much and I did enjoy ANT more, mainly because there was less of it to get through though ANT really butchered the original's powerful ending. 0079 works as both a trilogy of films and a TV series, ANT really highlights how dreadful Zeta's pacing is and how slack the actual core story is. Which is a shame because there's loads of good parts in Zeta that the movies miss out. My abiding memories of Zeta are a couple of scenes and aspects that were really great and a boring load of dragged out skirmish battles in between.
>>
File: e4f9bcd57e11e2dc5362a949f30c0c4c.jpg (370 KB, 1010x1500) Image search: [Google]
e4f9bcd57e11e2dc5362a949f30c0c4c.jpg
370 KB, 1010x1500
Just got back from skimming the series + ANT.

The last few episodes are WAY more engaging than the first 2/3rds of the series, even though the personal arcs never get any better. If I knew what I know now, I would have watched the first two ANT movies and then moved on to the series.

Stupid shit kept happening, but the good started to outweigh the bad.

>Yazan is GOAT, literally the non-shit Jerid.
>Haman Karn has a great design and the Quebley is p.neat.
>Wong was dope, and should have been a permanent part of the cast from the get-go.
>Having Mineva show up again was also nice.

>Reccoa is shit, and so is Katz and the majority of the female cast.
>A good chunk of the Newtype-related stuff was dumb too. (Haman and Sirocco throwing mind-blasts at each other, Kamille absorbing the will of dead people to power up the Zeta, DEAD PEOPLE ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER AS GHOSTS WHILE FLOATING AROUND HIM, KAMILLE BEING TURNED INTO A RETARD WITH SIROCCO's MIND BLAST)

Super-subjective YMMV opinions:
>I thought the Hyaku-shiki and the Psycho Gundam were too tacky.
>Bask Ohm died too soon.
>>
>>14292333
>Most fights were monotonous 10 minute scenes where both sides shot and screamed at each other missing everything, until one shot hit it's target, then everybody would retreat back to their ships only to repeat it the very next episode.
Things did happen though. Plenty of people named & nameless died in all of those skirmishes. The named ones lived just a little longer than others to build them up before their inevitable takedown. Zeta may have been overly ambitious in trying to build up both sides characters.
>>
>>14292953
Jerid was alright with the Byarlant but after the Gates of Zedan they just shit something out of their ass hell where did he even get the Bound Doc?
>>
>>14292400
Yes. In other words, his setting and ideas were OVERdeveloped, which is the opposite problem from what Tomino supposedly has.
>>
>>14293448
I figure that he kept pestering Bask and Scirocco for a stronger suit to defeat the Zeta, and one of them just gave him Rosamia's old unused Bound Doc to shut him up and let him wage his vendetta.
>>
>>14293687
Then why the fuck didn't we see him during the Cyber Newtype shit at the end?
>>
>>14282849
Love this meme
ANT is plagued with problems. Cutting out arcs, screwing with the pacing, constantly switching between new and old animation making everything jarring, and changing the ending. Zeta had a lot of filler to be cut, but the movies did an awful job of doing so. They are far from 'exactly the same'.
>>
>>14282658
G- reco seemed pointless in the three episodes i watched.
>>
>>14282645
I've JUST finished watching the MSG movie trilogy. Am I right in continuing the series with this?

What should I watch after this?
I've originally only wanted to watch Unicorn, but I've been told that it wouldn't make sense to start there and that I need to at least watch a few other shows before starting Unicorn
>>
>>14294982
I don't even know if these kinds of posts are trolling at this point.
>>
>>14294982
>movie trilogy
You already fucked up.
>>
>>14295000
Just a filthy crossboarder. Go ahead and laugh, I don't care
I didn't think this was worth making a thread over so I just throw my question out here
I looked up a timeline and a recommendation chart. This isn't next in timeline but I see it recommended the most. Cut me some slack, the franchise is huge.
>>14295011
Great, because I heard the complete opposite; that the MSG trilogy did a good job cutting some fat from the original series. A purist is obviously going to prefer the original, but calling watching the movie trilogy a "fuck up"? Is there any reason?
>>
>>14295000
i hope so because the alternative is unspeakable
>>
>>14293693

Because he's not a cyber-newtype.
>>
>>14295020
The movie trilogy didn't butcher the original series, but it also didn't cut much fat. You get the essentials, not the whole experience. Protip: Unicorn isn't worth blowing through the franchise to get to. The animation is the only thing it has going for itself. You're better off enjoying the franchise for itself, not as a stepping stone to disappointment. MSG -> Zeta -> ZZ -> CCA -> Unicorn if you're really that desperate to get to it but I'd also rec Stardust Memories (in the same vein as Unicorn with animation porn but doesn't pretend to be anything else, watch after Zeta), F91 (some of the best animation in Gundam but only movie-length, story is better than SM and Unicorn but pacing is worse, comes years after CCA), and 0080: War in the Pocket (if you want some actual substance, you could watch it right now).
>>
File: 1443452596786.gif (658 KB, 280x212) Image search: [Google]
1443452596786.gif
658 KB, 280x212
>>14295066
Thanks for the honest answer

Yeah Unicorn is obviously the big eye-catcher, I think I'm more intrigued by the series itself though and less by that one specific installment.
I liked MSG but sorry, its just so old and dated. I'm used to watching old stuff but its simply too exhausting so I decided to rush through it with the movies to set up the other shows. I liked the movies, but only around 1/2 of it.

I feel like I'm going to enjoy Zeta a lot more though, I'll go with the full show this time, then continue from there.
>>
>>14282792
It's hilarious how Tomino even managed to sneak in passive aggressive shit into G-Reco like this.
>>
>>14292466
Like Gates could possibly have done jack shit to Yazan.
>>
>>14288795
you and another poster both misunderstood what anon meant when he said that. of course he wasn't actually expecting israel and palestine with robots you autistic weebs. it was a rhetorical expression.

Here is a translation for you:

=
>Expecting a frustrated military conflict that behaves realistically and is handled with care and respect by the narrative due to its serious and tragic nature

jesus christ you fucking basement dwellers must be detached to not understand that when you read it. And Zeta sucks dick completely.
>>
>>14295712
>>Expecting a frustrated military conflict that behaves realistically and is handled with care and respect by the narrative due to its serious and tragic nature

But Zeta did a great job at that by Anime standards.
>>
File: titanfallpvp.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
titanfallpvp.webm
2 MB, 640x360
I created this.
>>
I always thought it was weird that Titan soldiers, many of which were probably ex feddies who experienced the one year war one way or another, where okay with piloting things like the Hizack.
I can see how they could look past the mono eye motif on some titans suits, but a Hizack would pretty much be ww2 vets cosplaying as nazis.
>>
>>14282849
ANT has poor pacing and emphasis on core events in the store all the way through, but I really can't see how people can ignore how they fucked up Four. I don't even like Four that much, but that was such an anticlimax it was laugh worthy.
>>
>>14295021
That /m/ is full of genuine retards here for the new shinny trendy thing?
>>
>>14295025

He would have sortied anyway where the fuck was he if he got his Bound Doc on the Dogosse Giar which went kaboom.
>>
Zeta Gundam had great aesthetics, that's about it.
>>
One thing that annoyed me outside of the average fight choreography was how formulatic the battles become later in the show. In the beginning it felt more natural anybody could come into contact with each other. Later on it falls to pure formula "Insert Character" can only fight "Insert Character" when said individual retreats the other person conveniently arrives as if it's some boss rush video game or some crap.
>>
I finished it yesterday.

It's every bit as bad as people told me.

That ending, all the obnoxious characters and extremely generic titans...

I'm glad I saw it to fill in the uc timeline, but I would just tell people to read a wiki instead.
>>
>Millennials hating on something older than 2005

Truly shocking.
>>
>I don't have the perceptive capability to identify character development or follow a plot: The Thread
>>
It's sit compared to 0079, and has some of the worst characters in the UC timeline.

You won't even give a shit when some of them get killed.
>>
>>14297089
There is so much good there on the fight choreography, I don't see where people get this idea that it was all average or bad all the way through. I mean it's not Layzner tier, but most of them are as good if not better than the battles in the original. The original might have a bit of benefit in that it had a longer earth arc, and battles that are'nt just in open space tend to be more interesting because of the opportunities that arise in interacting with the environment. I went into a few highlights that I could think of here.>>14292406

As for the other criticism. Literally everyone in the main cast fought Yazan and Reccoa in the second half. Zeta does have a fair amount of strategic retreats once an advantage starts to be gained by one side ( because why waste your men ?), but I can't think of enough examples of what you are talking about to constitute "falling into pure formula". Jerid mainly just goes for Kamille, but it was like that since the beginning, and that is Jerid's thing as a character.

>>14296973
Well if we didn't see it or hear about it on screen, then nowhere. But it isn't such a hard stretch of the imagination that they transferred that MS to what ever ship he happened to be on at the time. This is the weirdest nit picking.
>>
>>14297989
>character development

Oh yeah, like Kats going from demanding whiny kid who Fucks everything up all the time to a whiny kid who Fuchs everything up all the time and then explodes.
>>
>>14298038
u know... sometimes.... the purpose of a character... can be 2 be a contrast to another character... haha....
>>
>>14298050
To Kamille? Who himself kept being impulsive and having the same interpersonal fights with characters the whole series until he became brain damaged?
>>
>>14298057
if thats what u got out of the show regarding kamille's development then the best case scenario is that it Wasn't 4 U and the worst case scenario is that ur fucking retarded lol
>>
>>14298068
>I could explain how I interpreted the show, or I could just say everyone who doesn't like it is retarded

That's retarded.

>>14298038
The biggest problem I had with Kats was that he constantly did nothing but wreck stuff, and he was never really punished for it. It made other characters, Bright mostly, look worthless and stupid by association.

0079 MSG Bright would have slapped the shit out of him the first time he went off the handle and the second time wouldn't have let him anywhere near a mobile suit.
>>
>>14298038

Katz goes from having faith in people and having a fairly hopeful and heroic outlook on life, to becoming an obsessive neurotic mess getting stomped on by space-pussy he can't get and being bitter about it. It is an analogy for every teenaged boy's realization that the girl they like is getting boned by that asshole senior with the cool car/mobile suit, while he is just "nice", and doing dumb shit to try to fix it.

Just think about what Katz constantly says to Sarah: " Scirroco is just using you, he doesn't actually care about you! He's not a nice guy like me!"

Katz was on his way to developing from a boy into /r9k/ , he just dies before he starts to hate women in general, if he lived through ZZ getting friendzoned by Ellie would have pushed him over the edge and he would have been with Char in CCA using the plan as an Elliot Rogers styled revenge against the women of earth sphere.
>>
File: 785.png (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
785.png
1 MB, 960x720
>>14298036
Yeah let's just conveniently forget the fact that we saw it in the Dogosse Giar hangar.

What the fuck was the point to Gates again.

Poor guy barely did anything shot three times with a hand gun, then just sat there like some idiot for some emotional support to keep Rosamia stable. The fact that he was completely normal makes the whole event even more dumb why the hell was he not in the Psyco Gundam MKII instead?
>>
>>14298078

How about the times when he

Destroys the nerve gas canister and helps save civilian lives?
Saves Kamille from getting killed by Yazan?
Successfully works with Emma in the core defenser to help drive off the enemy forces?
Delivers Amuro to Karaba?

Bright also locked him in solitary confinement at least once. Hayato smacks him around for sortieing when he was'nt supposed to. And Emma slaps the shit out of him all the time. So he got punished plenty, it just didn't stick very well because Katz was stubborn.

Likewise, at the end of the day the AEUG weren't normal millitary like the EFSF was, and they needed all the help they could get. Katz actually was'nt that bad, and had a fair amount of achievements in combat, despite fucking up too much. And trying to get the kids to act sane when they have role models like Char is a fools errand.

>>14298057
Did you miss the whole Four arc when he finally comes to terms with his identity, masculinity, and his name? One of the first things we learn about Kamille is that he is insecure about his name, that literally starts the whole plot. Yet by the time the Four arc comes along he is able to come to like his name and not be insecure about it. That's development that takes place within the first 20 episodes or so. By episode 48 he has come to the realization that pure Newtypism is a false idol and that Newtypes are not the key to future - in the finale he shows that without a respect for human life newtypes are incomplete and destructive, he uses this respect for human life to access the dead girls and take out a person holding on to misguided newtype elitism ( Scirroco). Not only does Kamille develop, but his development is symbolically represented in the plot and action sequences of the finale itself
>>
>>14298112
He repeatedly would take mobile suits without permission and run off for emotional reasons, like when he fucked up the negotiations with Axis.

He directly endangered other people's lives by being totally irrational and out of control. Bright would have never stood for it in character.

>>14298100
Zeta logic dictates that only the most imbalanced and unpredictable people are allowed to pilot your super weapons.
>>
>>14298130
If Katz had a handler who would just watch him and spray him with water when he went to be retarded they would have avoided so much shit.

>I'm gonna help Sarah escape
Spray him in the face
>I'm gonna run out and cause trouble with axis
Spray him in the face.

He probably wouldn't have gotten turned in to space jelly if someone just stopped him from being allowed to keep having his way with the ship.
>>
>>14298100

In that case there was probably just another Baund Doc somewhere else that Jerid was able to pick up. That would make the most sense actually, since Jerid's had it's own colour scheme. The Titans probably had three of them in total, had no one else really to pilot the third one, and passed it on to Jeird.

Gates was a weaker newtype than Rosamia, he was more so a scientist than a pilot, as we see earlier one with him helping run the experiments. There is'nt much reason to think that he was supposed to be a combat pilot at all.

>The fact that he was completely normal makes the whole event even more dumb why the hell was he not in the Psyco Gundam MKII instead?

Because Rosamia was the one with strong newtype powers. With Cyber Newtypes you usually get allot of power with allot of instability. He probably was too weak of a newtype to use it affectively.
>>
>>14298082
This sounds like an amazing fanfic
>He backstabs Char halfway through CCA for having a wife and puts on a mask
>New title comes up, "Katz's Kounter Attack"
>>
>>14298155
>"Katz's Kounter Attack"
>He promptly crashes his Giant zeon style custom G-defenser in to the asteroid and dies
>>
File: Titans 9.png (2 MB, 1158x1555) Image search: [Google]
Titans 9.png
2 MB, 1158x1555
>>14298152
>There is'nt much reason to think that he was supposed to be a combat pilot at all.

Yeah outside the fact that he was the squad leader and the whole point to the cyber newtype project is to create a damn combat newtype pilot.
>>
>>14298130
>like when he fucked up the negotiations with Axis.

That was Char, at least the first time.

When Katz goes to disrupt things at Axis by killing Scirroco on foot, Char is already there, realizes what Katz is doing, goes "fuck yeah, great idea, I'll take it from here". Char was also technically the leader of AEUG at that point - Katz was basically acting in the way his leader wanted him to. Char was a bad role model and probably has some responsibility in getting him killed.
>>
>>14298172
Char wasn't doing anything the second time untowards until he realized that Katz had just crashed the negotiations on a half baked impulse move to kill a guy because the girl he liked liked him more.

The negotiations were fucked from that point on. You can't blame Katz being ABSOLUTELY childish and insane on Char there.
>>
>>14298162

Thats what they were doing with Rosamia, he was acting as an anchor for her and someone who could help with the experiments. Particularly he was playing "Big Brother" to her so to anchor her, meaning that he had to be in a position of authority to her, so yeah, it makes sense that he would be her leader.
>>
>>14298188

It's not like Char even scolded him for it though, and Char pulled shit like that earlier against Haman. Even when Katz "took him hostage" with a gun with the safety on so the two of the them could get to space - Char just let him do it with no repercussions at all. He just mentioned to Katz that the safety was still on. It's obviously not all Char's fault - Katz had serious flaws that were on him, but Char was a pretty bad role model and certainly did nothing to fix the issue, and even facilitated it at times.
>>
>>14298219
This is why I mentioned that Katz makes everyone around him look worse by association.

He doesn't fit in with other characters given all the shit he is allowed to do that should get him in HUGE trouble.
>>
>>14298078
>It made other characters, Bright mostly, look worthless and stupid by association.
It's character development leading into ZZ. Katz broke Bright's spirit. Many things in Zeta lead into and are expanded on in ZZ, which is why they both need to be watched and taken together as a whole, singluar series.
>>
>>14298197

Yes and he clearly proved that he knew how to pilot a damn mobile suit. Instead they have the guy just sit there a like some idiot.
>>
>>14298233
Katz death at the end of the series doesn't explain Bright treating him totally out of character for most of the rest of the series.
>>
Should I skip ZZ and go to Char's Counterattack?
>>
>>14298241
I didn't mention his death, but that probably did push Bright over the edge. Early on Bright treated Katz like any other crew member and would slap or throw him in the brig. Through failing to be a father figure to Kamille and Katz, Bright sort of ends up in a slump so to speak. Which plays out in ZZ to him eventually saying "fuck this shit, I'm off to command a ship of adults". Also keep in mind that a good number of Katz's unauthorized fuckery came from when he was stationed on the Raddish. Henkin and his crew weren't exactly doing a good job a reining him in either.
>>
>>14298232

He does get in trouble many times. But he keeps doing it anyways, and he has positive achievements on the battlefield, as mentioned here >>14298112 , and they need all the help they will get. They can't just take him out of AEUG entirely, and corrections don't work on him, so what can they do ? On top of all that you have your leader (Char) acting almost the same way, and no one is punishing him for it( they can't really), it isn't surprising that they start to just give up on punishing people. Fa goes through the exact same thing as Katz as well, she goes as far as getting Haro to trip another pilot so she can get in the mobile suit instead of them - at the start they would punish her, by the end they just sort of gave up because it was'nt working.

>>14298239
Being able to basically operate a mobile suit is not the same as being able to do combat in one proficiently.
>>
>>14298275

Yeah Heinken and his bridge crew were the guys who sacrificed the whole ship to save one pilot because Henkin had a crush on her. Not great role models either.
>>
>>14298280
>Being able to basically operate a mobile suit is not the same as being able to do combat in one proficiently.

The mans a cyber newtype he had some training because thats the whole damn point to him, pilot a damn mobile suit.
>>
>>14298287
>Later Emma dies anyway
Lol
>>
>>14292553
I don't like GBF.
>>
>>14298293

Yes, he is supposed to be a able to pilot a mobile suit in a basic way, but his role is running experiments an acting as the combat pilot's emotional anchor. Stop trying to import your head cannon into the show.
>>
>>14292589
I don't understand the stupid skirmish argument.
0079 had as many seriously blatant pointless skirmishes, and gets no negative press for it, in some cases it was actually much worse about 'new fight every episode".
And you know what? Even if there were fights every episode, that wouldn't matter, because i had fun watching them, like countless other people before the age of shitposting.

From the first movie alone, i can tell that ANT is pretty lackluster,
If anything it actually proves that there isn't much useless filler in Zeta, because the condensed result is very messy.
>>
>>14298329

Zeta fag farts shit out of his ass #999 yeah he was a damn combat pilot

ゲーツ・キャパ

Gates Capa

声 - 矢尾一樹

ティターンズ所属のMSパイロットで、階級は大尉。バスク率いる強化人間部隊の一員。左右の長さが違う髪型をしている。劇場版には登場しない。

サイコガンダムMk-II搭乗時のロザミア・バダムの兄役を演じ、彼女に指示を与えていたが、不安定なロザミアの精神制御は出来なかった。その後、バスクの乗艦であるドゴス・ギアがレコアの攻撃で撃沈。更にロザミアも撃墜されてしまったことで、サイコミュによって精神的に同調していたゲーツは錯乱してしまう。その後の行方は不明だが、戦死説がある。

小説版ではグリプス2での最終決戦でエゥーゴがコロニーレーザーを発射した後にカミーユと邂逅したロザミアと交戦し相打ちとなった。

また、劇場版機軸で描かれた漫画『機動戦士Ζガンダム デイアフタートゥモロー ―カイ・シデンのレポートより―』ではアッシマーの飛行テストを行う様子等が描かれており、ティターンズ崩壊時はキリマンジャロ基地でロザミアと思われる女性と共にサイコガンダムでの出撃が描かれている。
>>
>>14298358
Not thw person you're trying to prove wrong, but I'm just gonna leave this little nugget here...

... Nobody gives a shit about Gates, and him being one of the most pointless characters in the show and not being utilized in a specific way doesn't really have any impact on the quality of the show, being as he is only present for a handful of onscreen minutes.
>>
>>14298358

All it says is that he is an MS pilot. No one is denying that he's an MS pilot.
>>
>>14298774

Exactly, he was a mobile suit pilot of a military organisation he was also the leader of a armed formation so this crap about him not knowing how to conduct mobile suit warfare is a load of shit.
>>
>>14282645
Zeta is a meme show just like every other Gundam. Lower your expectations and you'll have a good time, otherwise you only have yourself to blame for being disappointed. At least you didn't go in expecting fucking LOGH like I did.

Seriously, does /m/ just circlejerk over Gundam because of the abundance of cool robots and nothing else?
>>
>>14298799

Well of course, that's a given. What else would he be? Jamitov's personal chauffer who drives a motor vehicle tuned with a psycoframe for that extra speed?
>>
I love Zeta, a great series I marathon during the summer the last 5 years. i have about 6 friends i met through an anime club in college that come over and watch with me, its sort of a week long anime camping trip tradition now in my house. Its great. One of them is a cute girl I actually had sex with last year, we didnt tell the rest of the group. I hope it happens again this year ^_^
>>
>>14298838
> /m/ ... circlejerk over Gundam

Do you only look at every 20th thread or something?
Hell, not even that, the times /m/ actually hits 'circlejerk' status, especially on Zeta, are fucking rare.
>>
File: 110143.jpg (29 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
110143.jpg
29 KB, 225x350
>>14298838
>At least you didn't go in expecting fucking LOGH like I did.

Tfw I did this. Why didn't anyone tell me Gundam is a kids show?
>>
>>14298838
>>14299826
Same. I hope War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory are decent and not JUST toy commercials.
>>
>>14300050
War in the Pocket is a pretty good look at the way kids look at war. My favourite scene is the one where Al is playing his 80s calla duty and shoots all the civilians because his mum made him go to bed early. It's done really organically.

0083 is just an action movie. It's a good action movie though.
>>
>>14298838
The character and plot developments in Zeta are executed in a much more roundabout way than those in LOGH. LOGH is a much more accessible show insofar as if you're interested in its subject matter you won't miss anything since there's so much exposition. Zeta, on the other hand, is much more of a "show, don't tell" show in that there isn't explicit exposition that states "x character changed in y way(s)." The same applies to CCA and even to 0079, to a lesser extent.

Sincerely,
Fag whose favorite series is LOGH
>>
>>14298159
>he's finally putting his talents to use
>I'm gonna crash my rock into a bigger rock
>>
>>14300120
Zeta doesn't have legit OH SHIT moments like the semicircles.
>>
>>14297754
>>14282762
>millennials
Under ~20 or over ~35?

If not, guess what you are!
>>
File: 4choon.jpg (25 KB, 611x479) Image search: [Google]
4choon.jpg
25 KB, 611x479
SO I WAS READING THIS GUNDAM SUMMARY, WHERE IT SAID "It is considered by many fans to be the best Gundam series" SO I COPIED THAT, AND I PASTED IT INTO EVERY GUNDAM SERIES SUMMARY
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.