[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bartleby (send help)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: SHF_13438302751.jpg (105 KB, 457x700) Image search: [Google]
SHF_13438302751.jpg
105 KB, 457x700
>Until the very end of the short story, the work gives the reader no history of Bartleby. This lack of history suggests that Bartleby may have just sprung from the narrator's mind.

>Consider the narrator's behavior around Bartleby: screening him off in a corner where he can have his privacy "symbolizes the lawyer's compartmentalization of the unconscious forces which Bartleby represents".

>The psychoanalyst Christopher Bollas insists the story is more about the narrator than the narrated. "The narrator's willingness to tolerate [Bartleby's] work stoppage is what needs to be explained."

I am currently trapped in a Bartleby-esque situation in my job irl.
I tried to read analysis of the story in the hopes of finding some hint toward a solution. Instead I find critics who are unable, despite a clear description of him, to imagine the possibility of Bartleby as a conscious human being.

What is it in our zeitgeist that makes the idea of a Bartleby too repulsive to recognize?
How can one avoid sharing Bartleby's fate?
>>
Isn't this some troll copypasta or something?
>>
>>8227111
The pasta is fresh, my friend. Never copied.

I was completely serious in that post.
>>
>>8227111
Why would you even assume it's a troll? What about this seems like trolling to you?
>>
>>8227094
>What is it in our zeitgeist that makes the idea of a Bartleby too repulsive to recognize?
What? How so? Is he repulsive to you?
>>
>>8227211
I just can't accept the idea that OP is a real person.
>>
>>8227540
I feel he may have sprung from my own consciousness.
>>
>>8227548
Now you've got it!
>>
File: 05.png (125 KB, 313x275) Image search: [Google]
05.png
125 KB, 313x275
I don't think it is Bartleby's repulsiveness so much as the narrator's that makes it hard to imagine Bartleby being a conscious human being.

The narrator's tolerance of Bartleby is what makes him seem unreal and just an aspect of the narrator's consciousness.

The narrator's attitude toward Bartleby is what may seem most repulsive and lead to him being seen this way.
>>
File: dude.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
Just go on welfare, man.

I haven't worked since summer 2012, it's great.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.