[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
File: 1354566714498.jpg (707 KB, 1024x1229) Image search: [Google]
1354566714498.jpg
707 KB, 1024x1229
Moon Gates Edition

Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: >>8129875
>>
Why dont you guys do the discussion prompts anymore? Those were fun.

Guess I'll start,

Whats your favorite or most memorable SFF location?

For me it was thee Atrium of Time in Book of the New Sun, comfy as fuck
>>
>>8136890

>>8136888
Got started, good try OP, lad
>>
>>8136930
>using trip codes
>calling others lads

I'll stick to this one, thank you.
>>
>>8136947
I'm not just a better person than you irl and here, I'm right.

Get cucked, NERD!
>>
File: 1435615789402.jpg (88 KB, 670x725) Image search: [Google]
1435615789402.jpg
88 KB, 670x725
>>8137151
>I'm not just a better person than you irl and here
>Ahi Ngakau

Is that supposed to be a joke? Because it made me laugh.
>>
>>8136907

That's.....that's a good one.

I'd say the world between worlds in The Magician's Nephew, the one with the pools in a forest.
>>
>>8137702
>no wolfe

is there beef between to the two authors? I would have thought they'd enjoy each other's work
>>
>>8138146
no, GRRM has nothing but respect for GW and openly praises him on his blog. They were also part of the same writer group in their early days.
>>
Moon lords did nothing wrong
>>
>>8138298
Is that why the
N U K E
U
K
E
>>
>tfw every brilliant idea you have is revealed to be shit the minute you put the pen to paper

why does this happen?
>>
Is Nick Land's science fiction any good?
>>
>>8138774

You lack confidence to experiment with your shitty writing.
>>
>>8138774
When writing you have to revise. Get everything off your chest then refine it. No one just puts pen to paper and creates a masterpiece. Unless you are one of those postmodern artists/authors.
>>
>>8138774
It's probably not deep enough.
>>
Any novels doing an affectionate parody of JRPGs in the vein of Soon I Will Be Invincible?
>>
File: image.jpg (187 KB, 1440x792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187 KB, 1440x792
This thread now belongs to The Unholy Consult

All hail the No-God
>>
>>8138298
>Moon lords did nothing wrong

t. Aja au Grima

Absolutely no justifiable way you can stockpile WMD's in someone's backyard

Only good Gold is a dead Gold, ammiright?

t.Ragnar "Big Daddy" Volarus
>>
>>8142219
>Clinging to your false aureate society

It's okay pleb. The glorious revolution will instill sacrifice and honor back into your small-minded life
>>
>>8142230
>implying the revolution changed anything
>>
>>8142234
>Implying i'm talking about the Red Menace

Moon lords are going to find out what Darrow did and bite him in the ass.
>>
>>
>>8142248
Yeah, that would have been a problem before he had the bulk of Society's industrial and financial strength behind him. What are you going to do, nuke Phobos? Good luck getting a single warship across the Belt.
>>
>>8138988
It's pretty good but literally doesn't make any sense if you're not already pretty familiar with his thinking and influences.
>>
>>8142248
LOL not like they have the industrial capacity anymore

>>8142234
I'd call caste restrictions and possible irrelevance of colors a huge change
>>
>>
>>8137662
I laugh at your profound ignorance.

People like you flocking here are why 4chan is the ass end of the internet.
>>
>>8142356
But the Golds are still in charge. Maybe Quicksilver gets to build his robots or something but everyone in Society is engineered, genetically and memetically, for their roles. Reds couldn't run it. Unless they wanted everyone to have Gold babies, and good luck paying for that.
>>
File: hyp_.jpg (38 KB, 260x346) Image search: [Google]
hyp_.jpg
38 KB, 260x346
I just read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Has anyone else read these books? Or maybe even the whole series?

I really enjoyed the build up of Hyperion and all the mystery surrounding the Shrike and the Tombs of Time. I wasn't enthralled with the second book because it didn't... reveal as much as I wanted I guess?

The second book was also pretty complex and had a lot of shit going on.

Anyone want to talk about it? Aside from the Shrike itself the Cruciform things were spoopy as fuck. The chapter where Dure talks about his encounter with the natives on Hyperion was fuckin' crazy.

I wish the author had detailed who built the Shrike, why it was a spiky freaky humanoid thing, what was up with its eyes made of ruby and other stuff. The Tree of Pain bit was ignored too -- was it real or a simulation?
>>
>>8142579
Also I'll say I as a whole I didn't love the super strong ties to Christianity and how so much of the book seemed to rely on Abrahamic religious ideals. The allusion to the Shrike being the Antichrist was kinda cool I guess. But posing and answering religious questions and being really floaty with the poetry, interspersing Keats or whoever else throughout the book stretched me kinda thin at times.

Oh also I didn't get who constructed the Labyrinths. Was it the Core from the future? One possibility is they built it to house the people they needed as their neural net. That would explain why the Cruciforms were first introduced there as well... they could just keep people underground in the planet as their 'CPU' or whatever
>>
File: 1465266907504-0.jpg (129 KB, 700x455) Image search: [Google]
1465266907504-0.jpg
129 KB, 700x455
>>8142613
>I didn't love the super strong ties to Christianity and how so much of the book seemed to rely on Abrahamic religious ideals
Bad taste and atheism goes hand in hand it would seem.
>>
>>8142629
It was laborious to have it as a common thread throughout everything. Other religions, even the religions of other races (one painted as the main 'enemy' throughout much of the book) were footnote tier. I mean some of it was cool but I got tired when Sol had a monologue for the 50th time about
>why did abraham sacrifice his son?
>im just a jewish scholar this is beyond me!
>muh daughter!

We get it m8, its a tough question and you've talked about it 20 times already bruv take a rest
>>
>>8142613
>I didn't love the super strong ties to Christianity and how so much of the book seemed to rely on Abrahamic religious ideals
You've got to approach books on their own terms, anon.

As I understood it - and it has been several years since I've read it - the labyrinths were supposed to be shelters - against the super-deathwand weapons? - but the Core co-opted them so they could quickly kill all humans.

I agree that the first book was better. It was a lot easier to see the flaws in the second, and it didn't do anything that a story in the first didn't do better. I couldn't get into the third and I've heard both Endymion books really suck.
>>
>>8142652
>Other religions, even the religions of other races (one painted as the main 'enemy' throughout much of the book) were footnote tier-

>One thing, as a cosmopolitan, that bothers me is the lack of disturbance toward the concept of focusing on just one religion in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody even considers it.
>>
File: sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (526 KB, 1640x2438) Image search: [Google]
sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
526 KB, 1640x2438
>White Sand and Zero Time Dilemma out on the same day
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>>8142579
>Has anyone else read these books?
Unfortunately. Deeply regret my time wasted, especially with the latter half.
NANOMACHINES, SON
>>
>>8142670
>the labyrinths were supposed to be shelters - against the super-deathwand weapons? - but the Core co-opted them so they could quickly kill all humans.

Okay, just looked it up. They don't ever describe why the labyrinths were built. They weren't built by humans or the core they were built by a race called the Builders. I remember reading this in the first book.
>>
>>8142688
Dunno what that is a reference to

>>8142720
>Unfortunately. Deeply regret my time wasted, especially with the latter half.
By latter half you mean the Endymion books? I don't think I'm going to read those.
>>
File: elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (932 KB, 2323x1721) Image search: [Google]
elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
932 KB, 2323x1721
>>8142732
Yeah. Didn't really care for Fall of Hyperion either. It was okay but as a straight sequel so different in format to Hyperion, it was jarring. Hyperion itself was alright but I think it's severely overrated, especially with connection to the other books.
>>
File: hyp_.jpg (401 KB, 750x844) Image search: [Google]
hyp_.jpg
401 KB, 750x844
SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8142762
>I wish I'd never tried to have sex with it
>>
>>8142807
Did they ever explain why she transformed into the Shrike mid-coitus during that bit? Given that she's Rachel v 2.0 and just a human, why would she be able to transform like that?

I read the summaries of the Endymion books and apparently the Shrike is designed based on Kassad in some way (wut) so he was fucking a girl that turned into a robot-thing sort of based on him in the first place that tried to cut his dick off with her toothy cooter
>>
>>8142720
>Zero Time Dilemma
just googled this after noticing you shitposting about it for days

sandersonfags really are vidyafags
>>
The twin moons brooded over the red deserts of Mars and the ruined city of Khua-Loanis. The night wind sighed around the fragile spires and whispered at the fretted lattice windows of the empty temples, and the red dust made it like a city of copper.

It was close to midnight when the distant rumble of racing hooves reached the city, and soon the riders thundered in under the ancient gateway. Tharn, Warrior Lord of Loanis, leading his persuers by a scant twenty yards, realised wearily that his lead was shortening, and raked the scaly flanks of his six-legged vorkl with cruel spurs. The faithful beast gave a low cry of despair as it tried to obey and failed.

In front of Tharn in the big double saddle sat Lehni-tal-Loanis, Royal Lady of Mars, riding the ungainly animal with easy grace, leaning forward along its arching neck to murmur swift words of encouragement into its flattened ears. Then she lay back against Tharn's mailed chest and turned her lovely face up to his, flushed and vivid with the excitement of the chase, amber eyes aflame with love for her strange hero from beyond time and space.

'We shall win this race yet, my Tharn,' she cried. 'Yonder through that archway lies the Temple of the Living Vapour, and once there we can defy all the hordes of Varnis!' Looking down at the unearthly beauty of her, at the subtle curve of throat and breast and thigh, revealed as the wind tore at her scanty garments, Tharn knew that even if the Swordsmen of Varnis struck him down his strange odyssey would not have been in vain.

But the girl had judged the distance correctly and Tharn brought their snorting vorkl to a sliding, rearing halt at the great doors of the Temple, just as the Swordsmen reached the outer archway and jammed there in a struggling, cursing mass. In seconds they had sorted themselves out and came streaming across the courtyard, but the delay had given Tharn time to dismount and take his stand in one of the great doorways. He knew that if he could hold it for a few moments while Lehni-tal-Loanis got the door open, then the secret of the Living Vapour would be theirs, and with it the mastery of all the lands of Loanis.
>>
>>8143032

The Swordsmen tried first to ride him down, but the doorway was so narrow and deep that Tharn had only to drive his swordpoint upwards into the first vorkl's throat and leap backwards as the dying beast fell. Its rider was stunned by the fall, and Thorn bounded up onto the dead animal and beheaded the unfortunate Swordsman without compunction. There were ten of his enemies left and they came at him now on foot, but the confining doorway prevented them from attacking more than four abreast, and Tharn's elevated position upon the huge carcass gave him the advantage he needed. The fire of battle was in his veins now, and he bared his teeth and laughed in their faces, and his reddened sword wove a pattern of cold death which none could pass.

Lehni-tal-Loanis, running quick cool fingers over the pitted bronze of the door, found the radiation lock and pressed her glowing opalescent thumb-ring into the socket, gave a little sob of relief as she heard hidden tumblers falling. With agonising slowness the ancient mechanism began to open the door; soon Tharn heard the girl's clear voice call above the clashing steel, 'Inside, my Tharn, the secret of the Living Vapour is ours!'

But Tharn, with four of his foes dead now, and seven to go, could not retreat from his position on top of the dead vorkl without grave risk of being cut down, and Lehni-tal-Loanis, quickly realising this, sprang up beside him, drawing her own blade and crying, 'Aie, my love! I will be your left arm!'

Now the cold hand of defeat gripped the hearts of the Swordsmen of Varnis: two, three, four more of them mingled their blood with the red dust of the courtyard as Tharn and his fighting princess swung their merciless blades in perfect unison. It seemed that nothing could prevent them now from winning the mysterious secret of the Living Vapour, but they reckoned without the treachery of one of the remaining Swordsmen. Leaping backwards out of the conflict he flung his sword on the ground in disgust. 'Aw, the Hell with it!' he grunted, and unclipping a proton gun from his belt he blasted Lehni-tal-Loanis and her Warrior Lord out of existence with a searing energy beam.
>>
The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.
>>
>>8142922
I'm a Sandersonfag, and I only play LoL, and lately only the weekend mode. I still have to find time to read, sleep and work, so I play very little LoL.

Just because cosmerefag is a gaymer, doesn't mean we all are.
>>
One thing, as a presidential candidate, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of corruption and fight against thereof in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice the people currently have towards their rights in a presumed "democracy" and how many lobbyists are ruling the US behind the curtains. It's terrible social commentary horror shit. It's apalling, dehumanizing, it fucks up what democracy will look like to our children and grand-children. Politicians stop caring about their beliefs and instead just spout whatever sophistry billionares ordain them to for another nib of a few hundred bucks. It's just, awful through and through with no positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, disgusting and dehumanizing lack of integrity we have no choice but acknoweledge is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated desire to Make America Great Again and exopsing the shitfest that is the establishment, that men's desires for a say in their future in the past, which has turned into the mindless consumerism of the present, override their own autonomy and emotions towards their politicians, making them completely apathetic about them and politics in general.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish fighting corruption wasn't constantly written as "Good guys in grey suits! Fighting bad guys in black suits and CEOs!", and not facing the TREMENDOUSly disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable to let this go on any further, and for some people, and for many people, this beliefs seems to be the case. This was even less prevalent in the past I'm assuming given America's former greatness and involvement in preserving democracy.
>>
Tell me, fine people of /lit/, is there a genre of fantasy that isn't strictly comedic but free of the grimdark taint of modern writing?

I just finished up the Night Angel trilogy and I've about had it with rape and cruelty.
>>
>>8143253
>Tell me, fine people of /lit/, is there a genre of fantasy that isn't strictly comedic but free of the grimdark taint of modern writing?
Yes, almost all good fantasy ever mentioned.
>>
>>8143264
You say that, but ever since I re-read It I've come to realize that the grimdark was always there. Hidden from view, but foul all the same.

That and I realize that I'm rather odd in my tastes. My other reading buddy loves his doom and gloom. I love heroes being flawed but heroic and doing heroic things. Probably falling in love while doing it.

Yet ever since a certain TV series eveything is all grim and grit all the time now. I'm not sure where to look, to be honest.
>>
>>8143274
So you like reading derivative modern fantasy and don't get why it's now derivative in a different way?
Because fantasy has been here for over a century, there's a massive amount of works to choose from. The only way everything is grimdark is if you either read Warhammer or shit published in the past 6 years.
>>
>>8143281
I'll be straight with you, anon. I don't like encountering rape in a story.

I'm looking for something without that.
>>
>>8143288
Like I've said, most stuff usually talked about here.
Tolkien in general
Wizard Knight
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
Conan
Or better yet, don't read fantasy at all, that's not grimdark even when you read wwi memoirs.
>>
File: 12901988811.png (139 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
12901988811.png
139 KB, 400x400
>>8142579
Read the cruciform thing at 1 AM. Did not sleep for the whole night. Played awful pop/party music while reading it because it was the only thing stopping me from losing it. When I finally tried to go to sleep I started hallucinating it.

Simmons did a great job with Hyperion.

>I wish the author had detailed who built the Shrike, why it was a spiky freaky humanoid thing, what was up with its eyes made of ruby and other stuff.
It's detailed in the Endymion books but sadly they suck awfully and retcon Hyperion. Still think it's worth reading though.

>>8142807
>Promoting selfcest
Shame on you anon.
>>
>>8143274
>>8143288
sounds like you would like Sanderson
>>
Just picked Earthsea at random from the rec chart. What makes it so good to justify it being in there ? The story is very interesting, which I suppose is important for fantasy and the magic system is rather unique, but is there anything else that makes it stand out ? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I don't read much fantasy and I wanted to get into it.
>>
>>8143391
It's the classic 'Heroes Journey' done right and explores some interesting themes.
>>
>>8143391
Diversity Quota.
>>
>>8143288
Most fantasy doesn't have rape in it. If you're struggling to find fantasy without rape then maybe subconsciously you actually like it and are reading those books accidentally on purpose.
>>
File: (You).jpg (55 KB, 371x476) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
55 KB, 371x476
>>8143547
>If you don't like something sexual then that's subconsciously your fetish
>>
>>8143592
If you say you don't like something, but continually read books with it even if it's quite rare in novels in general*
>>
>>8143604
>What is chance
>>
>>8143547
I don't know about outright rape, but every novel released within the last decade or so actually does feel like it implies somebody is about to be or has been raped or at least abused in some way.
I get what they're saying desu.
>>
>>8143606
Chances are against grimdark, hence the doubt.
>>
>>8143613
>Chances are against grimdark

Depends on your book supplier. I buy locally here in slavshitstan and the bookstores only have modern 2spooky4u fantasy.
>>
>>8143606
Your excuse, by the sound of it.
>>
>>8143616
I'm a slav too, the trick is not reading commercial garbage.
They sell books in English too, it's easy to just buy science fiction or fantasy masterworks series.
>>
>>8143627
>Implying I don't buy exclusively English books

It's still mostly grimshit. But then again I'm visiting the "popular" stores.
>>
>>8143632
There's your problem.
And yes, any store which has English sff should have the masterworks. It's not as cheap, but the quality level is consistent.
>>
>>8143288
>I don't like encountering rape in a story.
Come on, it's 2016, rape is just a cultural thing. As long as it isn't white people who do it then it is morally okay.
>>
>>8143616
Had to have a laugh at a slav not liking rape, but to helpful if you read almost anything from the 70s or before then you are pretty safe. It's good shit too.
>>
File: old-man-shrugged-shoulders1.jpg (92 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
old-man-shrugged-shoulders1.jpg
92 KB, 384x313
>>8143669
>Had to have a laugh at a slav not liking rape

desu probably because I won the genetic lottery and became a reclusive but polite autist instead of a rape-machine gopnik
>>
>>8143632
You even type like an obvious rapist.
>>
>>8143663
>it's 2016
Exactly, ever since Larsson etc. rape has become the laziest of plot-devices

>need to show this guy is really mean!!
>OK I'll have him rape someone
>done!

Nothing but contempt for these authors
>>
>tfw no slav girl to rape and dominate me with her sugarwalls
Gonna die sad with only my books as company.
>>
>>8143715
Rape is just a form of domination, you might say you hate it, but deep down you like it, and it's the liking of it that is scaring you.
>>
>>8143725
So how's your house-wife psychology 101 course treating you?
>>
>>8143731
You think I'm a house-wife? You're going to try and rape me, aren't you? Stop that.
>>
File: 1465216217802.jpg (92 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465216217802.jpg
92 KB, 1000x1000
>>8143735
>>
File: 1465212838622.gif (913 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1465212838622.gif
913 KB, 400x300
>>8143725
But if all people like it and want it deep down then can rape exist? You can't rape the willing.
>>
>>8143725
idk this rhetoric sounds suspiciously rapey
>>
>>8143741
Don't call your victims 'bait' that's fucking disgusting.
>>
File: Dinosaurs.jpg (703 KB, 2437x1047) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.jpg
703 KB, 2437x1047
>>8143281
>The only way everything is grimdark is if you either read... or shit published in the past 6 years.
>>8143296
>proudly strutting in front of their clutch of eggs
When will all your walking skeleton asses go extinct?
>>
>>8143725
>>8143760
One thing, as an anti-rapist, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of rape in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice the victim has in getting fucked and xer's unwillingness. It's terrible body horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks you up. It fractures your orifices. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing sex we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of being raped, that men's desires for sexual gratification in the past, or just their mindless desires in the present, override our own autonomy and emotions towards them, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish rape wasn't constantly written as "This is bad! Only bad guys do this!", and not facing the cummy pumpy disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable after shock and sobbing of it to wear off, when for some people, and for many people, it doesn't wear off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the general attitude towards women.
>>
>>8143774
No picture this time?
>>
File: 1463270373072.png (98 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
1463270373072.png
98 KB, 500x337
>>8143777

I meant to use this
>>
>>8143735
I'd love to read a fantasy novel about a plump housewife getting raped by gnolls or some such creature.
>>
>>8143774
>It fractures your orifices
that sounds hawt tbqh fambo
Too many years on 4chan
>>
>>8143774
>cummy pumpy
I lost it.
>>
>>8143784
>tfw next door plump housewife would never invite you over for tea, then throw herself on you and have her way
Why live?
>>
>>8143771
As history teachers, only works which are read by multiple generations survive the test of time, so never.
>>
>>8143791
To write those stories. Brb, inserting a rapey plump housewife into my mythopoetic pantheon.
>>
anyone here read the Witcher books? im playing the Witcher 3 now and its making me want to check out the books.
>>
>>8143801
The game is better because it doesn't need high quality writing, while the novels do.
It's a great game and a really mediocre series of novels.
>>
Newfag to /sffg/ and /lit/ in general. I was wondering what was Tolkien's reaction to literature derivative of his appearing? Can a dinosaur catch me up on this?
>>
>>8143797
>he thinks GURRM, Sanderson and Erickson will be forgotten
Patrick Shitfuss maybe will be forgotten, but not those 3 above.
Also your statement applies to all the Terry Authors, and we know how shit they all are.
>>
>>8143801
I tried reading Blood of Elves but it was complete dogshit.
>>
>>8143771
Whenever we see great new authors rivalling the old. Which is to say never. Or perhaps when the west has declined to its final point and a new civilization rises. As it stands our decaying culture continue to produce lesser men with each passing generation.
>>
File: This Faggot.png (9 KB, 459x377) Image search: [Google]
This Faggot.png
9 KB, 459x377
>>8143806
>new to lit, furthermore sffg
>knows our dinosaur meme
>>
>>8143806
He was pissed.
>>8143808
One is already in his place (so the Stockholm syndrome novels), seen as dumb entertainment at best.
The others will follow when the hype dies out.
>>8143810
There's no reason to think this true, even if the three he mentioned are mediocre and there are few great living sff authors.
Besides, if the trend continues, it's just going to burn down and new men will write great new books.
>>
>>8143813

I'm a quick learner when it comes to memetics

>>8143810
Chinese fantasy when?

>inb4 wuxia

I want my chwarves, chinelves and emperors wrestling dragons damn it.
>>
>>8143810
tbqh it's mind boggling how there isn't a massive amounts of great books coming out every year

books are huge worldwide, and people can now use the internet and carry around 1000 books with them on a kindle. that's such a massive advantage that authors 50+ years ago didn't have. yet the amount of 'great' books in the 21st century is in the single digits

what went wrong
>>
>>8143816
>yet the amount of 'great' books in the 21st century is in the single digits

We're not even a fifth into the century anon.
>>
>>8143813
Yes, because the retard never fails to post it at least three times per thread.
>>8143816
Spirit of the time is that of consumerism and instant satisfaction.
Hence, novels are written for the audience which expects both.
>>
>>8143808
Gurm will be forgotten after he dies and leaves his shitstain of a series incomplete. The only reason he is as famous as he is would be that he doesn't write literature or even fantasy but TV scripts in book form.
>>
>>8143816
You wouldn't hear about them even if there were, It's next to impossible to get published If you aren't writing YA and you can't trust book reviews to offer differing opinions any more.
>>
>>8143824
yeah i'm suspecting this is the real issue here. like, having millions of writers yet barely any good stuff appearing is impossible.

will this ever change though, is the real question. it isn't looking like it
>>
>>8143820
>Spirit of the time is that of consumerism and instant satisfaction.

This doesn't make any sense, novels aren't just getting much thicker stand-alone's no longer exist, every fantasy author is expected to write a series now.
>>
>>8143814
>The others will follow when the hype dies out.
They said the same about shit of the rings, and shit of thrones when they came out, yet those 2 have lived beyond their sell by date, and are constantly picking up fresh consumers.

If Sanderson doesn't die, and completes his 30 year love child, he will also be remembered.

Erickson like Glen Cook will become cult classics. They will survive.
>>
File: Closs_St_Georg_mit_Hakenkreuz.jpg (2 MB, 1278x1586) Image search: [Google]
Closs_St_Georg_mit_Hakenkreuz.jpg
2 MB, 1278x1586
>>8143816
>what went wrong
The Germans lost both world wars and our culture is dying.
>>
File: charlie.png (57 KB, 185x204) Image search: [Google]
charlie.png
57 KB, 185x204
>>8143836
>comparing LOTR to a song of fat pink masts and worldcunts
>>
>>8143846
The more she drank the more she shat and the more she shat the thirstier she grew.
>>
File: 1462121555467.jpg (540 KB, 1920x1309) Image search: [Google]
1462121555467.jpg
540 KB, 1920x1309
>>8143841
>Winning WW2 would've made a difference

Instead of reading commercial art about how shit the world is and how evil conservatives are we'd be reading propaganda about how everthing is great and how bad libs and commies are

Go Kaisserreich or go home.
>>
>>8143836
>Erickson like Glen Cook will become cult classics

I don't think so, Erickson isn't even remembered fondly now compared to 10~ years ago and every Malazan book is less successful and well received than the last; people can't even be bothered to create Wikipedia articles for his last 3 books.

I think he'll be known as a hack more than anything else.
>>
>>8143820
>Yes, because the retard never fails to post it at least three times per thread.
What i find funny, is that you think I'm the only one with anti-dinosaur sentiments, yes I might be the only posting the pics, but I'm not the only one posting.

It brings a genuine smile to my face when I read through the thread and see someone putting a dinosaur with delusions of grandeur in their place.
>>
>>8143854
>Instead of reading commercial art about how shit the world is and how evil conservatives are we'd be reading propaganda about how everthing is great and how bad libs and commies are
That is still an improvement over our current situation. Says a lot about how far up shit creek we've journeyed.
>>
File: CTGuBbSUYAAp5_I.jpg (65 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
CTGuBbSUYAAp5_I.jpg
65 KB, 600x488
>>8143861
Ahaha you've sure shown those old-fashioned reptiles who's boss!!!!
>>
>>8143852
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!
>>
>>8143830
Looking at the type of people who study and teach literature, it's looking very grim.
Leftist fantasy (of course the worst the genre has to offer) reading women, assuming they read at all.
>>8143835
It being a series doesn't change the nature of the novels. They are assumed to be ultimately shallow, fast to read, with quirky, but never complex, likable characters, "world building" or action.
>>8143836
Neither Cook nor Erikson are "cult classics". They are entertainment you find the moment you google best fantasy, next to Rothfuss and Martin.
They are picking fresh consumers indeed, exactly the type of people you would expect. All of the authors are also still alive and writing and the first generation of readers barely has children, meaning the next generation hasn't really picked it up.
Alongside that, we need to remember Tolkien wrote for the sake of art and has themes which people can find gripping regardless of time as it's deeply religious in nature.
>>
File: 1463774766596.jpg (1 MB, 680x1671) Image search: [Google]
1463774766596.jpg
1 MB, 680x1671
>>8143870
>Tom Bombadil isn't one of the elements of Tolkien's literature whose purpose is to show that Middle Earth is a silly and comfy world threatened by external forces
>>
>>8143860
I dunno, I think he'll be remembered as R.A. Salvatore. Wrote a bunch of crap that nerds like to jerk off to but with no value outside the niche of boardgamers and teens who don't know any better.
>>
>>8143870
Good, good. I can feel the butthurt flow through you.
>>
>>8143882
>Daenerys Targaryen isn't one of the elements of Martin's literature whose purpose is to show that Meereen is a silly and comfy city threatened by internal and external forces
>>
>>8143871
>Leftist fantasy
Is there really anything else getting published these days?
>>
>>8143898

Anon, stop being retarded. Fat pink masts, cunts becoming worlds and diarrhea making you thirst for more diarrhea-causing water aren't symbols of any deeper relevance to the fictional universe.
>>
>>8143883
I wouldn't have thought /tg/ cared about Erikson, anybody with any experience with DnD and GURPS can immediately see though the ever popular "Campaign replay" lie.
>>
>>8143907
Same with shitolkien and bamfaggotee
>>
>>8143907
I'm shitposting you faggot, Tolkien is based. Kill yourself.
>>
>>8143901
Probably, but it's hard to dig up in the cacophony of thousands of published fantasy novels every year.
>>
>>8143898
Dany's rectum is a silly and a comfy area and is contrasted with the dysentery she's suffering from after mindlessly eating toxic berries.

Academics have argued that the scene is a symbolic metaphor for he entire saga (for further reading see GRRM: The Burger Tolkien). The chiastic structure of the shitting experience is also hotly debated among scholars as to its implications and deeper meaning.
>>
>>8143910
Malazan is literally a dnd campaign, I'd expect them to be in love with him.
All of the board game nerd crew I know irl is in love with Sanderson, Erikson, Wheel of Time, Prince of Nothing and similar, but almost always "find Tolkien dry" and need authors like Wolfe explained, as in they absolutely must have written in your face exposition to get something.
>>
File: 1465136440903.png (25 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1465136440903.png
25 KB, 420x420
What does /sffg/ think about TVtropes?
>>
File: FrogPosters.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
FrogPosters.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>8143939
I think that you should fuck off back to >>>/tv/ you autistic frogposter.
>>
>>8143939
One of the worst sites I've ever seen.
>>
>start reading Shadow of the Torturer
>Severian seems like a pretty nice guy
>gets thrown out of the guild
>turns into a stone cold nigga who somehows make Dorcas and Agia(though not really) fall for him while doing absolutely fuckall

I'm guessing this is part of the unreliable narration, right?
>>
>>8143870
>Tom Bombadil
absolutely based character 2bh.
>>
>>8143935
There's tons of authors who have claimed their books are based on a "tots real DnD campaign man", gotten popular on this gimmick and then refused to publish any information on their sessions/homebrew rules after fans questioned the mechanical viability of their magic systems.
>>
>>8143976
Agia only wanted to get to his priceless sword, Dorcas literally didn't know anyone and would have probably ended up without anything on the street so she tags along, exchanging sex and company for protection and friendship.
He is also not a nice guy.
>>
>>8143989
Yeah, i'm close to finishing it already, and i realized those things too. Except for the Dorcas part, but in retrospect, it seems like it should be obvious.
>>
>>8144017
Dorcas later on really does love Severian and he loves her as well, but the start of their relationship was far less romantic.
>>
File: For you.jpg (23 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
For you.jpg
23 KB, 300x280
>>8143939
Fuck off frogposter
>>
>>8143976
Wolfe is doing a self insert, he is showing how much of a chad he was when he got discharged from the army.
>>
>>8143663
B-but I'm not German!
>>
>>8143801
It was good up until Ciri.
>>
>>8144102
>talking shit about best girl

Over the line.
>>
>>8144116
>liking that mary sue cunt
I'm sorry anon. After the unicorn shit and Ciri's time with the rats I'm 100% sure the author was just writing so he can fap to it.
>>
>>8144095
Doesn't matter, a sexual emergency is a sexual emergency no matter the place.
>>
File: 1458141088837.png (311 KB, 600x524) Image search: [Google]
1458141088837.png
311 KB, 600x524
>>8144146
For all the years I've spent on 4chan that is still a reference I don't want to get.
>>
>>8144122
This
Ciri gave me cancer. Books went to shit after the mage coup.
>>
>>8144161
A migrant in Germany raped a little boy and claimed it was because it was a "sexual emergency".

The boy is still in the hospital.
>>
How can a dark lord be such a qt?
>>
>>8144178
>a reference I don't want to get

I get it, but I wish I didn't
>>
>>8144186
Funny, that's what he said.
>>
>>8143939
Big heaving pile of trash.

Use allthetropes if you need to look at pages like doorstopper book titles.
>>
Great Ordeal wh en.
>>
File: 1qjqrv.St_.5.jpg (49 KB, 578x300) Image search: [Google]
1qjqrv.St_.5.jpg
49 KB, 578x300
>It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power, and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced-in a word, insane.

Prove him wrong.
>>
>>8144566

Herbert was a filthy subjectivist/solipsist.
>>
>>8144566
Why not examine why he's absolutely right
>>
>>8144580
It takes an inhuman person of some sort to see themselves in their position, as more important than the lives ended because of their decision making. Most uneducated regions, where people fight for power, end up with warlords and demagogues hiding behind ideals, for a reason.
>>
File: 17910124.jpg (59 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
17910124.jpg
59 KB, 316x475
I'm finding this really bloody dull desu lads.
>>
>>8144677
Why?
>>
>>8144677

Of course it's dull . This sort of fantasy is just illusion for the sake of illusion, alternate world for the sake of an alternate world. Read something with actual ideas (latest Prince of Nothing book comes out in a month).
>>
>>8144596
>Most uneducated regions, where people fight for power, end up with warlords and demagogues hiding behind ideals, for a reason.
And this is not the case with western countries how?
>>
>>8144693
Oh it's very equally the case with Western Countries. Just more money, more make up, less grit, and more people supporting you regardless, for whatever certainly and undeniably moral enterprise.
>>
>>8144566
Anarchist Catalonia, they couldn't even establish a primitive defence force because different flavours of Anarchists couldn't put aside their differences and function as a unit.
>>
File: 1460479869272.gif (135 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1460479869272.gif
135 KB, 500x300
>>8144706
>>8144693
I didn't believe in the r/fantasy meme until now.
>>
>>8144710
There are many failings of The All Knowing Well And Good Markets and States if you want to cherry pick. There are many unsuccessful and destructive, short lived states. There are probably more examples of such than not.
>>
What are some series where magic isn't mystical and it's very natural for everyone, sort of like in the Harry Potter world?
>>
>>8144714
Just meme them out just like we did with the lesbo that gets as much pussy as us lad
>>
>>8144714
You're in the genre general, you don't really have much room to complain about reddit. Any other time on /lit/ threads like these would have gotten laughed out.
>>
>>8144721
>There are many failings of The All Knowing Well And Good Markets and States if you want to cherry pick

Go ahead, cherry pick.
>>
>>8144733
If there's one thing I know about lit users, it's that everyone, with maybe a few exceptions, doesn't read sff.
>>
>>8144746
Let's go with states.

>Republic of Crimea. Lasted One day.
>Emirate of Dubai. Also lasted one day.
>Emirate of Sharjah. Also lasted one day.
>State of Somaliland. Five days.
>Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic. 36 days.
>Provisional Government of the Province of Connacht. 12 days.
>Banat Republic. 14 days
>California Republic. 25 days

The list goes on and on, I'm sure it will never stop. The best states early on know how to stab in the back and tell the public that it was just a kiss.
>>
>>8144733
>Any other time on /lit/ threads like these would have gotten laughed out.

We've had speculative fiction generals for over 6 years now newfriend.
>>
>>8144677
>Valyn's chapters are frustrating, he's thick as pig shit despite a decade of super soldier training
>that many women being able to pass super soldier training
>kaden's chapters would put charles bronson to sleep

Adere is pretty good but she's barely in it.
>>
>>8144767
Speculative Fiction isn't straight up "science fiction and fantasy general", it encourages speculation in title alone. Most of these recs wouldn't have made into those old generals.
>>
>>8144766
I'm sorry, you appeared to have replied to the wrong post? because I asked for a list of failed states that implemented liberal democracy, private ownership and a market economy.
>>
>>8144776
They would and they did.
>>
>>8144788
That's not what I said. I was referring to all states and markets, of all stripes and creeds. If you thought I was suggesting otherwise. You didn't actually ask that.
>>
I don't really like Breek's latest series, but I must admit he was good as a dog when he wrote the first one.
>>
>>8136907

I'd love to see an artist's interpretation of that location.
>>
>>8144692
Does Prince of Nothing actually have themes and literary merit? I was under the impression that it was just another grimdark.
>>
>>8144817
Have you actually read it
>>
>>8136907
>Whats your favorite or most memorable SFF location?

Do I remember any SFF locations?

Which one do I like the most, if I remember any?
>>
>>8144813
There is one guy who did concept art of many locations and scenes in BOTNS, I forget the link but someone may know who I'm talking about
>>
>>8144817

Prince of Thorns is complete garbage, don't even bother looking up anything about it, it's not worth the time
>>
File: N-3o.jpg (56 KB, 450x628) Image search: [Google]
N-3o.jpg
56 KB, 450x628
>>8136907
Arrakis
>>
>>8144818
No, that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>8144826
>Thorns
>>
>>8144842
Reliable reviews claim it's shit, but I can't say for myself.
>>
>>8144842
I'll say that its pretty frontloaded with all the philosophical stuff, the author himself spent the better part of his life studying philosophy, whether its actually "of merit" is up to you in the reading. For me I was more interested in the characters.
>>
File: Cfsf-SwUIAAZ813.jpg (26 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
Cfsf-SwUIAAZ813.jpg
26 KB, 600x347
I've noticed a requirement to getting published involves declaring yourself a Communist and having a incredibly poor understanding of East-Asian religion; "Buddhism/Taoism isn't a religion!".

Is this why they hate Tolstoy?
>>
>>8144884
In english please.
>>
>>8144889
Check your eurocentralist privilege shitlord.
>>
>>8144896
I said in english please.
>>
>>8144884
Yes, because they twist Buddhism's theme of acceptance and liberation to mean the Marxist-Freudian pursuit of pleasure. Other people love reading it because it validates their hedonism and lack of discipline.
>>
File: 1465374218835.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1465374218835.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>8144944
>Marxist-Freudian
>>
>>8144944
Is this also why so much of Fiction is about materialism? Why so characters pursue ancient gadgets like magic swords instead of self-improvement?
>>
>>8144964
>Is this also why so much of Fiction is about materialism? Why so characters pursue ancient gadgets like magic swords instead of self-improvement?

No
>>
>>8144947
They both thought that the purpose of life was to pursue pleasure.
>>8144964
That's probably because it makes for easy storytelling, but you could read into it and say that the "chosen one" monomyth is representative of one of the many ways by which people today to excuse their laziness. How often have you heard someone say something life "Oh he's so gifted. I wish I was that talented" when in all likelihood, the speaker could attain a similar level of proficiency with hard work.

t. pseudointellectual
>>
>>8144979
>when in all likelihood, the speaker could attain a similar level of proficiency with hard work.
This is a bad meme.
>>
File: 1419861848653.jpg (55 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1419861848653.jpg
55 KB, 375x500
>>8144979
>They both thought that the purpose of life was to pursue pleasure.
>>
File: image.jpg (211 KB, 600x967) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211 KB, 600x967
>>8136907
Trantor.
>>
>>8144979
>They both thought that the purpose of life was to pursue pleasure.

Check your micchaa-sankappa senpai
>>
File: ArmadaVista3.jpg (210 KB, 1600x812) Image search: [Google]
ArmadaVista3.jpg
210 KB, 1600x812
>>8136907
Armada
We artposting now?
>>
File: 1465095951038.jpg (13 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1465095951038.jpg
13 KB, 325x325
CAN YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS STOP TALKING ABOUT POLITICS FOR FIVE MINUTES AND JUST DISCUSS FUN MAGIC AND SPACE BOOKS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What did you pirate recently?

It's okay. I can keep a secret.
>>
>>8145053
The 1983 Dune Encyclopedia. It was a bitch to find.
>>
>>8145036
Fucking loved that book.

Minseries with Aidan Gillen as the Lover when?
>>
>>8144809
>he was good as a dog

I think you meant to write as good as a dog, whatever that means
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (856 KB, 3600x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
856 KB, 3600x1080
>>8145053
Nothing much
>>
>>8145063
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPhXA2zHCU
>>
>>8142152
maybe old /lit/ would talk about Bakker's work, but new /lit/ is pleb tier...almost no discussion is going on here, I don't even know why I keep comming.
>>
>>8145038
Genre fiction is all about politics, Asimov and Clarke were the original edgy leftists of bad philosophy and childish political views.

>>8145087
Bakker's shit is literally entry level you newfag, stop trying so hard to fit in.
>>
File: Hobbesintro.jpg (17 KB, 260x326) Image search: [Google]
Hobbesintro.jpg
17 KB, 260x326
>>8144566
Sanity is defined by the sovereign.
>>
>>8145096
I'm being tempted into reading Bakker to actually find out if he's really pleb or not, but at the same time worried it'll be a massive waste of time.
>>
>>8145123
Bakker takes the McMieville approach to writing: Write crude and simple prose, grab a thesaurus and replace the small words with big ones.
>>
File: 1465081360281.jpg (33 KB, 480x342) Image search: [Google]
1465081360281.jpg
33 KB, 480x342
>>8145096
>Asimov
>Leftist

DUDE EVERYBODY LEFT OF TRUMP IS A COMMUNIST LMAO
>>
>>8144537
25 days until The Great Ordeal

Get hyped
>>
>>8145143

It got delayed a week m8.
>>
>>8145135
Ugh you need to stop browsing tumblr Anon, the guy was literally a progressive democrat who thought we could solve societies woes by taxing the shit out of the middle class.

He repeatedly called babies enemies and thought white folks were evil for not wanting to live in the shithole called new york.
>>
>>8145129
My internet doesn't work well, could you post some please?
>>
File: 160328112125-trump-1987-780x439.jpg (332 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
160328112125-trump-1987-780x439.jpg
332 KB, 780x439
>>8145135
Trump is fairly leftist actually. Wanting to keep national sovereignty doesn't really change that, that only makes him more nationalist than globalist. Stalin was a nationalist.
>>
>>8145145
Oh fuck me, it did.

32 Days until the Great Ordeal

Get hyped
>>
>>8145148
"Every great faith was a labyrinth possessed of innumerable small grottoes, half-secret places where the abstractions fells away. And with them, the evening faltered, plunging the bronze-armored glory of the Norsirai into twilight"
>>
>>8145161
>Projecting this hard
Jesus Anon.
>>
>>8145158

>Those are big words

Are you stupid or what.
>>
>>8145164
>big words
But that's obviously a example of crude prose.
>>
>>8145158
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, outside of "religion is stupid and obscures stuff".
>>
>>8145161
That does make him a leftist tho. Or at the very least a left leaning centrist.
>>
>>8145180
Progressives are leftists by definition.
>>
>>8145171

Only solipsists deeply care about prose. It's all about input, in the end. Just having the correct "essence"/input to satisfy your filthy subjectivist mind. I mean, having nice prose is a bonus but any writer with good ideas has their ideas carry the prose.
>>
>>8145208
Democracy is leftist in its essence.
>>
Right wingers aren't human and don't enjoy the protection of human rights.
>>
>>8145208
reminder to report and ignore shitposting
>>
>>8145200
>good ideas
>Bakker
>Religion is evil doe
>All religious people are stupid
>muh ebal anti-heroes are social darwinist
>>
>>8145236
>leftists literally responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of their own people, restricting rights and oppressing them
>but right wingers are the ones who don't care about rights
>>
>>8145245
t. r/fantasy pro

>>8145257
>all leftists are the same
>all rightwingers are the same
>>
>>8145236
Human rights is a silly concept, very topical in this thread however since it's fantasy.
>>
>>8145264

>I'M ALT-RIGHT

How sad for you.
>>
>read for 30 minutes
>2% progress in Kindle

I know it's about the journey not the destination and all but my backlog...
>>
>>8145251
I'm assuming all his philosophy is basically that?
>>
>>8145272

Human rights are a theoretical edifice. You're just too mentally retarded/anti-intellectual to get what ideas *are*.
>>
File: 1463864629062.jpg (93 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1463864629062.jpg
93 KB, 620x670
>>8145264
>The lonely lesbo is trying to countermeme us
>>
>>8145275
Just read the best stuff first, then you're not in such a hurry to complete the rest.
>>
>>8145278
>theoretical edifice
So fantasy then?
>>
>>8145291

Kill yourself retard.
>>
>>8145277
No, it's more nuanced than that. Religion itself isn't ever really outright decried as being evil, or good, but falls somewhere inbetween

Someone is obviously butthurt about people liking things he doesn't like.
>>
This thread is why /lit/ wasn't accepting of genre fiction.
>>
>>8145292
Go back to plebbit where you belong and stop shitting up this thread.
>>
>>8145303

Die already.
>>
File: 160px-John_C_Wright.jpg (13 KB, 160x259) Image search: [Google]
160px-John_C_Wright.jpg
13 KB, 160x259
>Why does the SFF community shun works just because they're right wing? We should judge books on their merits and not their politics!

>Eww I don't want to read that book. It's leftist cuck garbage.
>>
>>8145300
Everyone here reads plenty of it.
And on another note, lit gets plenty of shitposting in general.
>>
>>8145304
Keep being mad that I'm 100% right.
>>
>>8145291
So John Milton is a fantasy author?

Can we talk about the Tenure of Kings and Magistrates in sffg?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.