[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - SciFi and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: summum bonum.jpg (179 KB, 1000x830) Image search: [Google]
summum bonum.jpg
179 KB, 1000x830
Summum bonum Edition
Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg (embed) (embed)
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg (embed) (embed)
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What are you reading right now?
>Who is your favorite child character in fiction?
>What is your favorite visual description of a landscape / place?
>What is your favorite weapon that appears in SF and Fantasy?
>>
>>7776767
Aquinas on Ethics
>>
>7776767

The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft.

Neuromancer, the AI interface was a child IIRC.

I like Tolkien's description of Gondolin very much.

Terminus Est.
>>
File: PetraCommandSchool.jpg (181 KB, 618x411) Image search: [Google]
PetraCommandSchool.jpg
181 KB, 618x411
>tfw no battle school GF
;_;
>>
Rec me some teen xenoparanormal romance novels.
>>
>>7776871
Try tumblr.
>>
Anyone realized it was cosmerefag that made the last two threads?
>>
File: dog.png (738 KB, 943x621) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
738 KB, 943x621
>>7776871
I would also be interested in xeno on human hotness.
>>
Halfway through Solaris right now. Anyone else read it. It's good so far. Why can't they make contact with earth and tell them aliens are fucking with them?

Just finished a once and future king and it's now my new favorite fantasy novel of all time. Fuck I love that book.
>>
>>7776898
>reading translations
>>
>>7776909
Wat?
>>
>>7776898
>Halfway through Solaris right now. Anyone else read it. It's good so far. Why can't they make contact with earth and tell them aliens are fucking with them?
I have no idea. They are doing research like this I guess. They want to probably, even if they don't like what's going on.
>>
>>7776909
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%28novel%29#English_translation

As someone who also wanted to read this, is the Johnston translation any better? It doesn't seem like it could possibly be worse.
>>
So turns out Book of the Long Sun is full of transvestites, homosexuals and other kind of deviants. It all went over my head.
>>
>>7776963
it's YA sci-fi, what do you expect?
>>
>>7776767
VALIS by PKD. I am really enjoying the prose. Might be top contender for favorite prose in a novel. It's so casual, in a sense, like he's sitting here in my living room telling me a story, and for the most part I can understand what he is explaining--barring the extreme religious themes thus far.
>>
>>7777094
You are a real checky cunt cosmerefag, answering your own question.
>>
>>7777141
Being someone who likes books in the cosmere makes him worse then you, huh. Does labeling people based on trivial things make life better for you? You've figured out his whole personality just from those books he likes and you've decided you hate that imaginary person?
Whatever floats your boat.
>>
Reposting from the dead thread.
>>7776581
Listen nigga, I was reading Childhood's End at the same time of The Death of Ivan Il'ic and, as much as Childhood's End may be good, the quality of Tolstoy clearly shits all over Clarke.
The only way for someone to not see that is if he couldn't understand what he was reading.
>>
>>7777166
I don't hate him. Just think he is cheeky answering a question that he himself made.... if anything I wanna dress him up as Shallan's with safe hand included and have my way with him.
>>
>>7777247

>the quality of Tolstoy clearly shits all over Clarke.

Well obviously but does it really make sense to compare two works that are vastly different in historical/social context, date of composition, genre, intent, scope and whatnot?
>>
>>7777258
But I'm not talking about the content, I'm talking about the form.
>>
>>7777247
What quality? You think Clarke tried to write like Tolstoy and failed? No, he doesn't give a shit and doesn't write for people who want to read Tolstoy.
>>
File: WoR_SKETCHBOOK-SANTHID_fmt.jpg (252 KB, 1375x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_SKETCHBOOK-SANTHID_fmt.jpg
252 KB, 1375x2048
>>7777141
I didn't make the thread, champ. I was even asleep during its creation.

>>7777166
I think it is the same guy who is obsessed with me. Regardless, I tripped a couple of times with that name and a -fag suffix should not bother anybody on 4chan.
>>
File: i was only pretending.jpg (99 KB, 676x485) Image search: [Google]
i was only pretending.jpg
99 KB, 676x485
>>7777272
>jokes on you, he did it on purpose!
We can only judge what it's produced, not the intentions.
>>
File: 1455939800800.jpg (23 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1455939800800.jpg
23 KB, 500x400
>>7777294

>everyone that doesn't try to write like Tolstoy is retarded
>>
>>7777294
Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>7777301
No, you are for not understanding the point, never said anything about Clarke other than his prose is worse than Tolstoy's, which no one can deny. Except retards like you.
>>7777303
No. Are you?
>>
>>7777304
So yes, at least put that as a disclaimer so people don't waste time responding.
>>
>>7777304

>never said anything about Clarke other than his prose is worse than Tolstoy's

What even is the point of this statement

I mean even if it were somehow true and not simply a case of different writers prioritizing different things to achieve different purposes, what did you hope to accomplish?

>come into a sci fi thread
>WELL CLARKE'S PROSE IS WORSE THAN TOLSTOY'S!

Ok I guess.
>>
>>7777317
Sf isn't an excuse for bad prose
>>
>>7777317
It's even funnier when you realize he's probably reading a translation. fucking lol
>>
>>7777323

No one was arguing that.

You don't seem to have experienced bad prose. Clarke's prose is not bad.

Read Eragon.
>>
>>7777317
>What even is the point of this statement
>I didn't read the post that post was responding to

>prioritizing different things to achieve different purposes
>both write fiction in prose but I will completely disregard it

>comes into a scifi thread
>I'll disregard the fact he was responding to someone else

Ok I guess.
No, it's not ok, you shouldn't be allowed to post being that stupid.
>>7777326
>lol
>>7777332
>Clarke's prose is not bad
I didn't say that. He's not me. I said Tolstoy's is on a complete different level.
>>
>>7777323
Clarke's prose is fine. He gives poetic touches to his work every so often, and even though he uses STEM jargon, his use of it is more consistent and normalized, than say, Lovecraft's.
>>
>>7777332
I'm neither of you two, just a third party commentator. Guy was just a troll, ignore him.
>>
>>7777341
>different
Correct, the word is called different. Not better, but different. You're learning!
>>
>>7777356
Different level as in a vertical quality graph.
>>7777351
A troll would be someone that says Clarke's prose is on par with Tolstoy's.
>>
File: 1429292300609.png (321 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1429292300609.png
321 KB, 431x450
>>7777020
>>
>>7777373
>a vertical quality graph.

Please create one of those yourself with your favorite writers, let's see this patrician taste.
>>
>>7777373
You are just a plain retard.
>>
>>7777377
All I can say is that the best prose I've read for now that I remember was by Salinger (just read For Esme again, amazing), Miller (beautiful prose, shit content), Steinbeck (beautiful content and prose), Tolstoy (flawless, like a Michelangelo statue).
>>7777384
And you still manage to beat me.
>>
>>7777403
>>7777377
Forgot to say that it has nothing to do with my favourites. Those aren't even my favourites, apart from the Winter of Our Discontent. If you read the first post I was responding to, this should be evident. We are talking about the quality of things. For example I prefer to read Conan, which isn't bad, it's actually good for what it is, but it's definitely not on par with those other works.
>>
>>7777403
>amazing
>beautiful
>beautiful
>flawless
Look at this genius of a literary critic. Truly someone whose opinions matter.
>>
>>7777417
Those weren't meant to be critiques, just summaries, why would you want to believe someone else's word? Read those yourself, idiot.
>>
>>7777432
I don't like to waste my time with writers that are awful and don't fit my tastes because some elitist on the internet considers them "superior" (or rather, he heard other people say it and wants to fit in). I've read one work of Salinger and Steinbeck each, and neither their prose nor content are better than writers discussed here.
>>
>>7777442
>neither their prose nor content are better than writers discussed here
Such as? I find it difficult to believe, I wonder why they aren't acclaimed for literary merit if true.
>>
>>7777459
>literary merit
>acclaimed
All these buzzwords. Can you think for yourself without others telling you what to think?

Take one at random, let's say Sanderson. For me personally he's superior in both prose and content. I'm awaiting your buzzword reply eagerly.
>>
>>7777487
>Sanderson
>prose
>content

For content I will agree. He is fresher and more original than most of the fantasy writers of his generation. It's probably because he taps into anime.

For prose, a very definite no. Sanderson writes like he's expanding an outline. Some scenes receive undue description, others are too succinct. His overall scene depiction, particularly banter between characters, lacks an inner life, a flaw which many fantasy writers seem to succumb to.
>>
File: IMG_5942.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5942.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
>>7777487
>Sanderson
Are you fucking kidding me? Look at this picture and try to repeat it.
If you, a worthless neet wasting his time arguing on 4chan, recognized its literary merit why the fuck haven't people whose life consists of literature alone? Seems like a legit question to me.
>>
File: brandon-sanderson.jpg (21 KB, 188x266) Image search: [Google]
brandon-sanderson.jpg
21 KB, 188x266
>>7777529
he looks like less of a faggot in this one. still runty, but at least he's got a confident stare in this one.
>>
>>7777487
>Can you think for yourself without others telling you what to think?
It looks like you've tried, and the result seems poor.
>>
>>7777517
>It's probably because he taps into anime.
Unrelated to discussion, but elaborate. I'm curious.

And for prose, I don't think his style choices are a negative. Or do you think he attempts those things and fails? To me it looks like he doesn't, and that caters to a different audience. Which doesn't make him better or worse, just different.

The things you listed are valid, I guess, but I enjoy his prose nonetheless when I want something relaxing, and I prefer it to quite a few of the 'literary' writers I've read.

I think it would be interesting for two writers to come together and they wrote the exact same story with pre defined characters and such in their own way.

>>7777529
>literary merit
Why do you keep repeating this? I value those peoples opinions below mine, naturally. I read something because I like it, not because someone else likes it. The writers you mentioned bore me, but that is not to say I don't like some "acclaimed" writers. I like Ishiguro for example and I consider his prose superior to Sandersons, but also superior to Tolstoys and Steinbecks. Not on some literary merit chart or whatever, but because I like it better.
>>
>>7777614
>I value those peoples opinions below mine, naturally
>naturally
>I am the Alpha and the Omega
My sides.
>I read something because I like it
I already said this is not about what I, or you, like. Why would you, or I, care about what the other person like? No one gives a shit about that.
>>
>>7777628
Because why would one not read the superior thing if he has the choice to?

Pro tip: It isn't actually 'superior', you just like it more.
>>
>>7777652
Some works are superior
>>
>>7777652
It doesn't work like that.
>>
>>7777670
It does.
>>
File: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.png (361 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.png
361 KB, 858x725
>>7776767
WHO THE FUCK KEEPS MAKING SANDERSON OP'S?
>>
>>7777677
Praise the summum bonum, brother.
>>
>>7777673
Sure, if you aren't capable of critical thinking.
>>
>>7777698
It would appear you aren't capable of that.
>>
>>7777235

Ivan Illych may have had better prose but Childhoods End had much more interesting theme
>>
>>7777679

Your mother summons my bonum
>>
>>7777717
There's nothing more interesting than a man faced by unavoidable death. At least if you're human.
>>
File: ess eff eff gee.jpg (678 KB, 1777x1333) Image search: [Google]
ess eff eff gee.jpg
678 KB, 1777x1333
I made this to be used as a future OP. Thoughts?
>>
>>7777827
Ursula Le Guin doesn't belong there.
>>
>>7777823
Childhoods end was about out our inevitable evolution, its transcendent form and how the humanity we are now will be come redundant and die off. We arent the pinnacle of anything, just a stepping stone.

T b h that was immensely more profound. Ivan Illychs tale is only interestng insomuch that he wasted so much of his life on bullshit, and thats what killed him. Thats a story you can find anywhere, but I grant it was well done.
>>
>>7777487
Are words in posts that people don't like "buzzwords" now? Is this a stupid /lit/ meme that I've managed to avoid until now?
>>
>>7777839
Except I don't agree with almost anything Clarke said about Humanity. It was very interesting but it made me laugh for how naive it was sometimes.
>>
>>7777614
>I read something because I like it
How do you know you like something before you read it? Obviously there has to be some external criteria for how you decide to try a work by an author you haven't tried before. Most people take literary merit into account.
>>
>>7777855
What am I to do with this information?
>>
>>7777861
Smart cookies just grab what sounds interesting
>>
>>7777866
You said the theme is more interesting. Not only that isn't true but, as I said, it was also not tackled in the right way. For me. But Clarke has great merits nonetheless.
>>
>>7777839
I found the part where the psychic unborn baby delivers interstellar coordinates via a ouija board to be particularly profound.
>>
>>7777871
So you put your trust in the barely-over-minimum-wage publisher employee tasked with writing catchy book blurbs. Interesting.
>>
>>7777861
I look what people with similar taste to me liked..
>>
>>7777882
Didin't mean to put two dots.
>>
>>7777875
I can agree it may have not been tackled the best way but it was a product of its time. I still find its overall subject matter more interesting than Ivan Illych, from my own perspective that story is one that's been told since forever and a day.
>>
desu these threads need to start producing oc and memes if they want to survive
>>
>>7777890
YEAH LIKE

YOU KNOW

A SELECTED FANTASY CHART FOR EXAMPLE

COME THE FUCK ON GUYS DO IT ALREADY
>>
>>7777881
Better than memebots on /lit/ citing Gene Wolfe for the billionth time in a aingle thread
>>
>>7777890
>implying
>>
https://davidbrin.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/the-difference-between-science-fiction-and-fantasy/

Thoughts?
>>
File: SelectFantasyFavorites.jpg (974 KB, 1573x2410) Image search: [Google]
SelectFantasyFavorites.jpg
974 KB, 1573x2410
>>7777895
We already had at least three attempts to make a selected fantasy chart. They were all shit. Here's mine. It's shit. I think if you want to read fantasy, you've got to be prepared to slog through a lot of complete crap, and frankly I'm not willing to do that just so I can make a better chart.
>>
>>7777941
>no Prose Edda

S H I T
>>
>>7777941
That's the best chart I've seen, don't downplay yourself friend.

I guess something about Fantasy makes it more difficult to make general charts as opposed to SF.
>>
>>7777941
>no Calvino or Borges

Personal or not, this chart should have had them.

Some of your others choices are shit.
>>
>>7777994
Borges is more sci-fi
>>
>>7777994
Not him but no, it definitely shouldn't have. That's not what people look for when checking these charts.
>>
>>7777839
Sounds incredibly redundant compared to Tolstoy.
>>
>>7777999
And yet Dante is on there. Explain that.

>>7777998
Magical realism is fantasy for Latin Americans.
>>
>>7778008
Edit the image to have Borges and problem solved.
>>
>>7777974
Thanks for the kind words. I agree, a major problem I have with the idea of a selected fantasy favorites chart is I have no idea where to draw the boundaries of the fantasy genre. If you limit it to swords and sorcery then frankly I doubt there are sixteen examples worth putting on a chart (but as I can't stand long fantasy series, I wouldn't know).
>>7777970
Feel free to change it as you see fit.
>>7777994
Calvino is one of my top five authors, and I love Borges too, but I just didn't think they belonged on a fantasy chart, since as >>7778007 said I don't think that's what people picture when they come onto this thread looking for fantasy. I put in Pedro Paramo because at least it had ghosts, which are fantasy-esque. I acknowledge that even as it stands there's a ton of stuff on there that people wouldn't associate with fantasy, feel free to change the chart. As a side note, if you really like Borges and Calvino you should check out Dino Buzzati if you haven't already.
>>
>>7778021
i was being tongue in cheek m8

but if you throw mythology stuff on there you might as well have the Prose Edda, its a bit of a staple
>>
File: Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg (2 MB, 900x5476) Image search: [Google]
Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg
2 MB, 900x5476
>>7777895
>implying
>>
>>7778026
And I was being serious. I'm not well-read enough in fantasy, so if you see an omission I encourage you to edit the graphic. The Prose Edda is one of those embarrassing books that I've owned for a long time but haven't gotten around to reading. Have you read the Poetic Edda as well? I have a friend who studies that type of thing who prefers it.
>>
>>7778036
>the right to arm bears

I need this in my life.
>>
>>7778026
And then the Greeks, maybe Tolkien even though he is invisible... Alas.
>>
>>7778037
I've read it and its great, definitely a worthy addition to the chart if we're looking at Old School fantasy and their influential works.

Oh we should have some Lord Dunsany on there too, his Fifty Tales and Gods of Pegana should do it.
>>
>>7778037
If you're not well read in fantasy and have a philosophically narrow understanding of its boundaries, what made you feel intrepid enough to make a /sffg/ personal fantasy favorites chart? One that doesn't really compare to the exceptionalism that the sf personal favorites chart has?
>>
>>7778045
Yep, Dunsany is on there. I try to limit it to one book per author, as I think that way it serves as a better jumping-off point for people to get a list of authors to look into and with luck find works they might want to try.
>>
>>7778055
Fantasy has no boundaries. This general shouldn't even exist. Shut up.
>>
Okay I'm cooking a favorites chart, give me time, and ready your pitchforks...
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1572x2452) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1572x2452
>>7777941
Let's just go off this anons chart and make it together. I edited out the ones that obviously don't fit and/or I have never even heard of. Let's keep it to one book per author. Perhaps switch out LOTR for another Tolkien book. Thinking of kicking Worm Ouroboros too because I didn't find it very engaging, thoughts?

8 open slots, make a good post about why your book should be there and I'll most likely add it. Let's get this shitty chart finally over with
>>
>>7778059
>fantasy has no boundaries
>I CAN DO ANYTHING
>SHUT UP MOM I'M BEING FANTASY
>>
File: abomination.jpg (810 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
abomination.jpg
810 KB, 2000x3000
>>7778055
Well, after I made the Selected Science Fiction Favorites chart people asked me to make a Fantasy chart as well. I didn't want to for the very reasons I mentioned, but a few months later there were a lot of people asking for one and I saw that a couple attempts had been made that were just godawful (pic related). I figured that I could at least make a better one than those, even if it wasn't very good, and I hoped people would change it and make it actually good after I posted it.
>>7778064
>>7778067
I wish these endeavors the best of luck.
>>
>>7778067
>thread dies when I make this post
Come the fuck on guys
>>
>>7778172
Sorry, I mostly read garbage SFF.
>>
>>7778172
You're afraid of no one following up

We're afraid you'll disagree and ignore us

We're all just a little afraid
>>
>>7778192
I'll be understanding and gentle with you anon, try me. I'm not very elitist about choices, even thinking of adding one Sanderson in the form of Way of Kings for diversity. I'm fully prepared to be called pleb for this by a random anon, and if I can muster the courage so can you!
>>
>>7778176
>>7778212

Fine, I'll give it a shot anyway.
How about Feist?
>Has maps
>Wrote a lot of books
>Interstellar asians trying to conquer another planet through magic gate
>Elves, dark elves, mad elves, dwarves, dragons
>Politics, mad king, succession angst
>>
File: Magician_Apprentice.jpg (152 KB, 614x1022) Image search: [Google]
Magician_Apprentice.jpg
152 KB, 614x1022
>>7778222
forgot pic
>>
>>7778080
>hates on my 3hours of love
>labels it abomination
Those books are great for persons getting into the genre, a stepping stone. You will suggest botns to somebody who doesn't really like reading?
>>
Fuck recommendation charts someone post some actual stories/ideas.
>>
>>7778248
>You will suggest botns to somebody who doesn't really like reading?
I will suggest them to get the fuck out.
>>
>>7778248
Sorry that I was so harsh, but there's a lot of stuff on that chart that I would tell people not to read under any circumstances. A Wizard of Earthsea is also an easy gateway into the genre, and is also better than every single thing on that chart with which I'm familiar.
>>
>>7776871

Does shit like that exist? I'm legit curious
>>
>>7778222
Not a bad suggestion. Have you also read The Empire trilogy? I hear people say it's the better of the Feist works.
>>
>>7778263
I'm down to discuss writing and stuff but it might end up warranting its own general
>>
>>7778263
Primordial Wizard wishes to manipulate the society he lives within, one night he gets a vision from the future - a glimpse into the power of the meme concept. Begins to pour meme into the general populace along with the ruling circles. His control over the memes allows him to predict and authorize whatever he wishes to happen. By the end of the novel this Meme Director becomes old and takes on a small circle of successor, thus giving birth to the Illuminati.
>>
>>7778265
>instead of getting more people into reading(when it has been slowly dying thanks to tv and movies) I will discourage them completely by telling them to gtfo

You aren't planning to be a parent are you?
>>
I was in my favorite book store today, browsing through the SF & fantasy section, but it seems as if roughly half of all new books has loads of SJW-stuff in it... I really hope this is just a phase...
>>
>>7778284
Is that the one he wrote with Wurts?
>>
>>7778298
Literature is VERY FAR from dying, and it will outlive pretty mich every medium except music and art
>>
>>7778315
Which books specifically
>>
>>7778298
Not him but your chart isn't a stepping stone, it's just bad. A lot of it is shit aimed at 12 year old teenage girls and it's also too big.
>>
>>7778315
I am honestly getting quite sick of seeing so many book covers with female models wearing warrior attire and glaring at you from the cover
>>
>>7778315

Hello John C. Wright

How's your fedora collection going?
>>
>>7778295
Sounds like a theft of swords

>>7778268
So far the only things I see people okaying is anything written before 1980.
This reeks of nostalgia, I've read hundreds of fantasy books(stil have to get around to the old ones) and these are the best of the new generation.

I know a lot of people didn't like my chart because I made a female protagonist spot, I thought r9k and pol didn't actually put effort into reading and just spouted memes?
I don't see persons who read everyday would be dismissive of a book just because it's a vagina as the MC.
>>
File: orion2_066.png (152 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
orion2_066.png
152 KB, 640x480
What's some good German sci fi that isn't Perry Rhodan?
>>
>>7778335
You sound like a SJW tumblr whale.
>>
>>7778298
>doesn't like to read
I'd tell my son to fuck off as well if he didn't like to read.
>>
>>7778335
>nostalgia
Are you dumb? Most of us weren't alive when those books came out and read them in the 21st century. You sound like you're trying really hard to justify your shit taste.
>>
>>7776773
>>What are you reading right now?
Ender's Game, Foundation and Minority Report. Loving each one of them.

Good books on future earth technology. There's no need to be on space, earth-based is better.
>>
>>7778324
>A lot of it is shit aimed at 12 year old teenage girls

All the fucking in those books(barring Sanderson) is aimed at 12 year old girls? I wouldn't like parents to get their hands on what their children are reading

>and it's also too big
I read 80 books last year, that list is not too big, and if you are talking about MBs big, convert it and lower the bitrate...ah pixel
>>
>>7778317
yes
>>
>>7778335
>I've read hundreds of fantasy books(stil have to get around to the old ones) and these are the best of the new generation.
Well, I don't even have to read them to know they're shit. Those cheap-ass covers, those ridiculous titles, those sjw pandering. Everything about them screams garbage.
>>
How do I go from idea guy to actually writing something.
>>
>>7778322
Ancillary Justice and its sequels, Fortune's Pawn and its sequels, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and its sequels, stuff like that. With recommendations by Felicia Day or Salon.com on the cover.
>>
>>7778373
You start writing.
>>
>>7778325
I don't mind female characters in my books, either in SF or fantasy. Recently read The Magicians-trilogy which had plenty strong female characters and I enjoyed those books greatly. But I don't want lots of political bullshit about inequality, loads of whining.
>>
>>7778343
I wish, then at least it would have been easier getting laid. Guys don't really have standards and would put our dicks in anything if the thirst was great enough.

Women feel like they are better than everybody and would hold out on you(a 5/10) for a 9/10 when they are a fucking 4 or 3/10.

No my brother, I'm just your average kissless elitist virgin.
>>
>>7778335
>if you don't like my chart you must be from r9k or /pol/ and hate women
Rest assured, I think every single category on your chart is filled with crap books, not just the female protagonist category.
>>
File: hg1.png (446 KB, 742x764) Image search: [Google]
hg1.png
446 KB, 742x764
Alright guys, today we're finally going to find out who is the king of /sffg/.
>>
>>7778404
>Shadow Ops: Control Point
I'm just hoping for his sake this is all a big ruse.
>>
File: winner.png (27 KB, 438x244) Image search: [Google]
winner.png
27 KB, 438x244
>>7778411
Well shit. R. A. Salvatore confirmed for god tier.
>>
>>7778411
Umm where the fuck is Micheal Moorcock?
>>
>>7777827
Only if you tripfag when you post it.
>>
>>7778374
Ancillary Justice was very disappointing.
>>
>>7778394
>would put our dicks in anything if the thirst was great enough
You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>7778372
>I will judge a book by it's cover
Ikr that's why I didn't read Sanderson, the illiad, Ulysses, lotr, botns, gravity' rainbow, blood meridian, etc.

They are all shit just like that faggots pic.
>>
File: nietzche.jpg (19 KB, 391x234) Image search: [Google]
nietzche.jpg
19 KB, 391x234
>>7778411
Never forget.
>>
>>7778067
I would support you taking off The Worm Ouroboros, since as the chart indicates I haven't actually read it. If someone else wants to fight to put it back on let them go for it.

I would, however, put Orlando Furioso back on the chart. It's old but it's actual fantasy with knights and magic and sorcerers, and it's a really fun read.
>>
File: 1438364751677.png (228 KB, 400x514) Image search: [Google]
1438364751677.png
228 KB, 400x514
>>7778425
>>
>>7778036
>the right to arm bears
Oh, Dickson, you card.

Can anyone identify the font and styling Baen always uses for their covers? All their covers look so similar and it would be wonderful for meme'ing. I wish there was a Baen cover generator.
>>
File: christposters.jpg (65 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
christposters.jpg
65 KB, 850x400
>>7778330
;)
>>
>>7778358
You know there are people who are over 40 and post on lit, hell there are even professors that post on lit, and I know for a fact that one of those professors pops in here now and again.
>>
I've been eyeing Mists of Avalon, is it a good book / how does it compare to Once and Future King? And I am not entirely sure what the Avalon series is, are the books stand alone? What's the correlation?
>>
>>7778425
Why wouldn't you read the Iliad, Ulysses, lotr, botns, gravity's rainbow and blood meridian though if you judged a book by its cover though?
>>
>>7778423
How's Jemisen? I'm planning on trying The Fifth Season to see if it's that bad.
>>
>>7778433
Holy shit, you're right. It's like they're permanently trapped in 1987.
>>
>>7778439
>Most of us
Do you have a reading disability on top of having extremely bad taste?
>>
>>7778394
I am going to tell you the truth. Women are group think creatures. If enough of them hear that a 5 is a 10, they will believe it. The number system means nothing to getting women- does someone else want it? Then they want to take it. Act just interested enough and treat yourself like the best and the wet gates open over and over ... confidence and a visible display of desirability trump actual quality, because they are vapid, shallow, and empty creatures, but much more easily manipilated to think that looks mean nothing. Men are the opposite - beauty moves them to stupidity, but encapsulate greatness in a baleen and it will go ignored, save for a desperate loser one night stand. Have some self pride. Women want to chase something, too. And stop reading about female protagonists literature is never honest about depicting female characters.
>>
>>7778414
Were you the guy in the last thread that asked about soldiers fucking up other worlds? I saw this suggested and people were distancing themselves with a 20 foot pole.
>>
>>7778452
Let's not derail the thread even more with this type of inane stuff, okay?
>>
What scifi-fantasy books have the best covers?
>>
>>7778424
I fucked a chicken, my cousin, and a cat, I sir do know of what I speak.
>>
>>7778471
Fabio-core my friend
>>
>>7778464
Just trying to help someone who has been lied to by reading fiction with female leads. They dont want to lead shit in real life. Just saying.
>>
>>7778445
Because the covers were shit...... weren't you reading?
>>
>>7778481
But they are good.
>>
I really like reading about legends and such that base around mythical creatures. Not dragons or giants or elves, but more something in the direction of Princess Mononoke, Forest Spirits etc.

Only slightly related, but I find stuff like this really cool, anything exist along the lines of it?
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/ORT
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Primate_Murder
>>
>>7778494
I sure that the faggots who made those charts in the thread and the OP feel their books are good, but us select few know how trash they are.
>>
File: 1438363874355.jpg (196 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438363874355.jpg
196 KB, 1280x720
>>7778516
>>
>>7778516
It's really just common sense.
>>
>>7778519
>>7778432
Why are you animeposting >>>/a/
>>
File: 1451225065281.png (711 KB, 1600x2162) Image search: [Google]
1451225065281.png
711 KB, 1600x2162
>>7778538
>>
>>7778544
stop bullying
>>
>>7778538
Anime girls are love, anime girls are life, faggot.
>>
>>7778366
Ah, yes I have read them. They're pretty good.
>>
File: ess eff eff gee.jpg (1 MB, 1777x1900) Image search: [Google]
ess eff eff gee.jpg
1 MB, 1777x1900
I've improved my picture
>>
>>7778571
needs an anime girl somewhere desu
>>
File: 139.jpg (138 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
138 KB, 853x543
>>7778571
We need more of these for the other novels
>>
File: file.png (148 KB, 278x278) Image search: [Google]
file.png
148 KB, 278x278
>>7778510
>>
>>7778585
Think there a Dune and a Silmarillion american bear.
>>
File: bear1.png (44 KB, 940x890) Image search: [Google]
bear1.png
44 KB, 940x890
>>7778595
Here they are
>>
>>7778559
She can't possibly be a bully, look how cute she is!
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 853x625) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37 KB, 853x625
>>
>30 posters
>190 replies

Well these threads went to shit in a hurry
>>
>>7778473
>I fucked a chicken, my cousin, and a cat
This sounds like the first line of a country song.
>>
>>7778645
They were always shit, now fuck off ass hat.
>>
>>7778284
Serpentwar Saga I found was the most enjoyable of the whole series, but the Empire trilogy is definitely up there.
>>
sanzas are best boys
>>
>>7778872
Jean t b h

Can easily hold his own without that dipshit Locke
>>
kind of a QTDDIOT, but does anyone know of any blogs that explore fantasy writing/literature in a really general way?
>>
>>7778963
Jean is probably the only one in the whole gang who could live a stable and comfortable life by himself, but that would be as high as he goes. He can't or wont come up with the crazy huge schemes that locke thinks up, that is when locke isn't fucking morbidly depressed. Sanzas are/were in life purely to lad it up and enjoy themselves.
>>
>>7779143
Also fuck sabetha perma salty about Locke one-upping her when he tries to impress her and just generally being a fickle cunt.
>>
>>7779128
let me rephrase that:

who is the Zizek of fantasy analysis?
>>
File: 1448620763338.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448620763338.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>7779145
>tfw Jean found his 10/10 but she fucking died

I hardly remember Sabetha but she wasnt as bad as Locke becoming fuckboy supreme in her presence.
>>
>>7776767
I think we should ad "The Last Unicorn" to our fantasy list.
>>
>>7779154
yeah reading that chapter in red skies made me feel hard for Jean, Christ that would fucking suck. At least by the end of book 3 you come to understand the sabetha and locke both become stumbling fucking infants near each other, she just internalises it better while he goes full retard. At least it looks like we might have a recurring antagonist for a while, should be an interesting fourth book.
>>
>>7779171
> At least it looks like we might have a recurring antagonist for a while, should be an interesting fourth book.
Oh yes bro its about to get fucking live, cant wait to see how they'll dodge him this time.
>>
>>7779171
Sweet christ does she spook easy though, one fucking painting is all it takes to get her to bolt. At least it isn't as bad as Kvothe and fucking Denna thank god.
>>
>>7779174
Goddam burd fukboi going to get some more of what's coming to him. I want a pet scorpionhawk tho hot damn
>>
>>7776767
Still The Pirate King, slacked off a bit because I'm also reading Berserk (read it till 2006 or something, then stopped when no updates came, started reading it from the beginning now)

Any fiction? Robin from Batman then. Pre-Flashpoint Timothy Drake if possible.

The goblin tunnels under the misty mountains from the German version of the The Hobbit radio drama.

Always prefered unarmed combatants, monk and martial arts master stuff. If I had to choose a "real" weapon though, I'd say Guts' sword.

>>7776889
he was just faster than me, that's all.
>>
>>7778248
I applaud you for actually going to the trouble to make a list, but I think your problem was that you gave up too early - that, or you weren't quite sure what you were going to create.

You basically have one good category there, and that is urban fantasy separated into two helpful sub-categories. The second is a meme category, and the third is random. Now, I don't have a problem with a random category, but I think if you make one, just eschew categories all the way and make the whole chart a "random category". That's basically what the selected SF chart is and it's been lauded almost throughout.

>>7778431
I'd put stuff like that in a different chart, say "selected pre-modern fantasy", honestly. In fact, maybe charts for (each with 16 works?)

"selected pre-modern fantasy"
"selected classics" (cut-off point maybe 1950?)
"selected modern classics" (cut-off point maybe 1996?)
and maybe "selected new hotness" if someone has the balls to make it

Making just one 16 work fantasy chart will inevitably be called shit for either including only older works, or including only newer works. And if you make a list of 16 which includes both, well, good luck with that.
>>
>>7778431
>>7779676
P. S. The Worm Ouroboros is the bee's knees.
>>
>>7778067
>>7778067
So, potentially adding a Feist series and kicking Worm, 8 spots again. Throw some suggestions guys
>>
>>7778374
>Ancillary Justice
I liked it. No SJW stuff in there.
>>
File: fantasy books.jpg (907 KB, 1674x1534) Image search: [Google]
fantasy books.jpg
907 KB, 1674x1534
>>7779157
I have that on a thing I made a couple of years back. It's only my personal reccs though, not an attempt at an objective chart.
>>
>>7778478
You sure know your stuff :^)

Please do us a favour and kill yourself (or at least stop posting)
>>
>>7780112
>an objective chart.
Nothing is objective because some faggot is going to disagree with you .

Also I did NOT like the gay, rape and incest in the steel remains book.
>>
>>7780112
What's GGK's best novel, Tigana or Lions of Al-Rassan?
>>
>>7780191
I've only read Lions. I've heard the Sarantium duology is really good.
>>
>>7776767
Probably a stupid question but.. what is that vignette wikia host you're using? Googling doesn't help
>>
File: fantasyfavorites.jpg (4 MB, 1600x3000) Image search: [Google]
fantasyfavorites.jpg
4 MB, 1600x3000
I too made a chart. Mixed some old and new, as well as being entry friendly. Thoughts?
>>
>>7780454
Better than the last one posted.

Add some detail about which series are duologies/trilogies/other sizes, and it's solid.
>>
>>7778571
Nice, I'm responsible for one of those.
>>
>>7780186
>Nothing is objective because some faggot is going to disagree with you .
That is the definition of objective.
>>7780112
Would never read any of of them, except for BOTNS.
>>7780454
Better but still half shit.
>>
>>7780186
>Also I did NOT like the gay, rape and incest in the steel remains book.
Top kek
I admit I had to skim past those sections. There's something disquieting about Morgan's use of the word "sphincter".
>>
Does Tales of Dying Earth hold up, or is it one of those cases where when you go back to it you notice all the clichees, tropes and stuff?
>>
>>7780538
>Would never read any of of them, except for BOTNS.
Just work your way up, anon.
>>
>>7780538
I don't think you read, autist

>>7780112
Only 5 of those books have readership or literary value. Your chart doesn't have the gravitas of the selected SF favorites chart.
>>
>>7780599
>Only 5 of those books have readership or literary value.
who cares
>>
>>7780605
Non retarded people who like to read?
>>
>>7780599
It's not supposed to have gravitas. Most people here aren't interested in reading most of the stuff on a chart like this
>>7777941
which, frankly, looks like it's been made by someone afraid of being judged by the rest of /lit/.

There should be some compromise between the "pleb" and the "patrician". I'm not advocating recommending Sanderson or Rothfuss or anything drastic like that, but when we do come round to making a proper chart this shit should be taken into consideration.
>>
>>7780618
There's nothing wrong with Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.
>>
File: Michael_Cole_(1997).1.jpg (52 KB, 1102x789) Image search: [Google]
Michael_Cole_(1997).1.jpg
52 KB, 1102x789
>>7780630
>There's nothing wrong with Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.
>>
>>7780635
>do I fit in yet guys? *turns around to deepthroat wolfes cock*
>>
>>7780454
This is pretty good, I'll add it to the next OP if I get to make it.
>>
>>7780630
The guy looks like a giant faggot nerd.
>>
>>7780639
Why would I turn around to do that?
>>
>>7780651
Well good thing we are reading books and not jacking off to him doing porn.
>>
>>7780662
Too bad nothing a faggot nerd produces will ever be good.
>>
>>7780685
That's literally every Fantasy writer.
>>
I really liked The Expanse as a TV show, so I read the three prelude short stories and now "Leviathan Wakes". I highly recommend it, but also recognized that some of the changes the TV show put in place actually improve the whole thing.
>>
>>7780692
Wrong.
>>
>>7780708
Right.
>>
>>7780702
Yeah, I read the novel before it even occurred to me that modern TV could have a good scifi series.

The original novel suffers from pulpiness and a rougher hewn narrative, but it's still much better than most scifi.
>>
What have I been reading. I've been on Gene Wolfe's the new sun. The Sword and the Citadel to be more specific. I'm not far into it so far but he seems to have a good vocabulary. If it wouldn't be for all the complicated titles of organizations, people and places it'd be a bit more understandably smooth. But the writing is smooth overall. It follows this torturer as he meets a variety of people so far.

I also just finished reading Philip Pullmans trilogy. The Golden Compass, The Dark Tower and the Amber Skyglass. Usually you read them seperately but I read them all in one sitting. Satisfying read; I had read this series before, a long time ago in highschool, so I just wanted to return to it after a time.

This is a relatively easy read, it follows the story of two children going from world to world. The first, Lyra goes on an adventure to find her uncle Lord Asriel. Then she meets Roger, the one who weilds the sword that sends you to another world. The third book encompasses the culmination of the totality of books, finishing up with a great battle, then everybody just decompresses. The conversations really make the book go by better.
>>
>>7780618
The scifi favorites list appears to be collated by someone who's browsed within the high-hundreds of books. Maybe at least a thousand, I don't know, I don't want to pat him on the ass.

That provisional fantasy faves chart looks like it was made by a person stuck between middle school and edgy college discovery. It's not nuanced or broad enough to represent /lit/'s /sffg/ tastes, and it's /lit/'s overall introverted, weird tastes that would make such a chart worthwhile. If a person wanted a list of literary novels, they could just use the Time mag version. But /lit/'s take on aggregate favorite 100 novels is rarer and more intriguing. A fantasy favorites chart should reflect that.
>>
>>7780711
Howard was the opposite of that.
>>
>>7780776
>the opposite of that
this?
>>
>>7780112
Anyone who likes Bakker, Kay, Hobb, MiƩville and KJP is alright in my book.

>>7780454
Some choices baffle me a bit, but overall, I like it.
>>
Are most Fantasy series planned from the start to be X amount of books, or do they just keep going if they sell well / get pressured by the publisher?
>>
File: alloy_symbols.jpg (167 KB, 655x562) Image search: [Google]
alloy_symbols.jpg
167 KB, 655x562
>>7780865
Probably a conglomerate a factors, including some of what you listed.

>X series did well!
>How about you write some more?
I can see it occurring with literature. Definitely happens with manga.
>>
>>7777827
>what are some books similar to dark souls????
>i'm new to reading are there any books like berserk?

those are legitimate questions
>>
>>7780906
Some authors also come up with more content than fits into whatever book they're writing. Sanderson is the first one that comes to mind for me here. Almost all his books have potential sequels whether he actually writes them or not.
>>
Any relatively short (1 book) audio book recommendations?
>>
>>7778510
Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone.
>>
>>7781283
Phaedo.
>>
File: lamora.jpg (45 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
lamora.jpg
45 KB, 314x475
>10 year olds that speak and act like adults

What's the appeal here?
>>
>>7781504
B-but GRRM says it's good...
>>
File: soulsborne lit.png (2 MB, 1294x1000) Image search: [Google]
soulsborne lit.png
2 MB, 1294x1000
I made this.
>>
My mum bought Foundation's Edge and Foundation & Earth instead of just Foundation. Should I just read them or wait for tomorrow and go and get the first Foundation?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.