[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /lit/ ever read any practical books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: how to frendz.jpg (47 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
how to frendz.jpg
47 KB, 312x500
Does /lit/ ever read any practical books?
>>
>>7892361
More like how to be an asskisser.

I've read it, it's okay if you're too autistic to understand social cues or just a sociopath wanting to improve their manipulation skills.

I've also read How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading. I cannot justify reading it completely, just read the summary at the end of the chapters, you won't miss anything important. It's good if you come from a poor educational background where reading wasn't encouraged, it feels redundant otherwise because you pick up all of the strategies mentioned along the way.
>>
No, the issue is that they are mostly subjective ramblings of an individual that wants to make money. I do not wish to change anything about myself, but I'm open to change when it comes. I.e., I would like it to be on my own discovery, with my memories and connotations so I can back it up instead of referring to a book.
>>
>>7892361
pic related is a capitalism-centric guide to functional sociopathy

his other book "how to stop worrying and be happy" is a guide to resilient narcissism.

great job, dale.
PS did you know that he only adopted the last name 'Carnegie' because of the then-recent popularity of the guy who built Carnegie Hall?
>>
>>7893037 edit:
"how to stop worrying and start living", sorry
>>
Depends on what you mean by "practical." Business books can be extremely helpful for new entrepreneurs. But manipulating people is either inherent or not. It doesn't strike me as a trait that can be "learned." It completely depends on the individual book's topic, I suppose, whether it's worth reading to you.
>>
File: 1454026577747.png (301 KB, 500x753) Image search: [Google]
1454026577747.png
301 KB, 500x753
>>7893062
>>
>>7892361
>Just be yourself: The Book
>>
This book leads to Nightcrawler type characters
>>
The only non-literature books I read are my college textbooks. Self-help books are intended to hand-hold idiots at best and disgusting moneygrabs at worst.
>>
>>7893062
This. Personally I like books about working on cars, books about outdoorsy type stuff, and I have a textbook on cognitive behavioral therapy. I pay no heed to books like the one OP mentioned
>>
>>7892409
Ironically, the best use of the book in the OP is as a series of guidelines for recognizing when you are confronted with a fucking psychopath and should take any sugar they blow up your ass carefully.

Socialites in general are either stupid or evil, and you should avoid them either way.
>>
>>7893077
i liked that movie but i didn't understand what was so special about it
>>
I don't get people saying its a "how to be an asskisser" book when he straight up says that people will know if you're just blowing them to get what you want. It has to be legitimate.

You can use it to be an asskisser or a sociopath or whatever, but the book itself is valid.
>>
File: Bushcraft.jpg (336 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
Bushcraft.jpg
336 KB, 675x900
>>7892361
desu
>>
>>7893604
Yeah, the key is faking sincerity. And don't get caught. We get it.
>>
>>7893037
This.

The real key to manipulating people (aka "success") is complete and utter shamelessness. Which is not so much as skill as it is a genetic defect.
>>
>>7893624
This. Also robert graves' book with these two youll have all you need for bushcraft
>>
>>7893846
Actually haven't heard of Robert Graves before. What book are you referring to?
>>
>>7892393

I thought How to Read a book was amazing for me because my school never really based into my skull the difference between information and understanding.

Also I didn't realize I had fucking shitty analytical reading skills
>>
I recently read a spate of books dealing with finance: A Random Walk Down Wall Street, J.K. Lasser's income tax book, The Economist guides, etc.
>>
>>7894048
I think he means Richard Graves, they were related but Robert Graves was a rather famous poet who also churned out novels of greater and lesser pulp quality (v. popular, often good) including I, Claudius. He has a very silly poem about his penis.
Love may be blind, but Love at least
Knows what is man and what mere beast;
Or Beauty wayward, but requires
More delicacy from her squires.

Tell me, my witless, whose one boast
Could be your staunchness at the post,
When were you made a man of parts
To think fine and profess the arts?

Will many-gifted Beauty come
Bowing to your bald rule of thumb,
Or Love swear loyalty to your crown?
Be gone, have done! Down, wanton, down!

Richard Graves wrote books about bushcraft.
>>
>>7894048
shit my bad i meant richard graves
>>
>>7894207
how were they?
>>
I'm currently reading science books on birds, cetaeans, and books on how to improve your writing.
>>
>>7893081
Self help is like click bait of books.

I literally saw a book with a title like "Five Ways to Improve Your Life Now!" last time I when to a book store.
>>
>>7894394
do you need to improve your life anon?
>>
>>7893624
baka
>>
>>7894441
you talkin' shit about Kochanski fuccboi?
>>
Has anybody here read The Art of Being Right? Are you always right now?
>>
>>7892361
no
>>
Isn't existentialist philosophy practical be default?
If so, this.
>>
>>7893062
>>doesn't strike me as a trait that can be "learned"

Why the hell not? You're actually saying you can't predict to any extent how any one person in your social circle behaves?

Now, if you know how any one might react or behave to any specific event that's because you have a sense of time and causality. And if you have sense of causality you inherently have the capacity for influence over it.

Now, as a novice it might be hard to get a hand in this current and have a palpable effect on it. But with PRACTICE you strengthen this sense of causality. Right?
>>
>>7895545

I don't need to read the book to be right all the time, if it disagreed with me the book would be wrong so it wouldn't matter and if it agreed then I had gained nothing.
>>
>>7893597
Nightcrawler type characters.
>>
>>7897217
he did nothing wrong tho, like i can get why he did it, were people shocked by him?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.