[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. Is this a good way to learn english? I've picked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: abcd1.jpg (1 MB, 2366x3146) Image search: [Google]
abcd1.jpg
1 MB, 2366x3146
Hey /lit/. Is this a good way to learn english? I've picked this script, and I'm trying to memorize all the words that I don't understand.
>>
>>7363593
What's your original language? I speak English, so I might give this a twirl.
>>
>>7363599
I'm guessing French.
>>
>>7363593
i learned english shitposting here.
me cannot fail
>>
>>7363599
>>7363601
Spanish.

>>7363604
I love you, mate.
>>
Also, if someone wants it, the text is a script of a videogame called Dear Esther. Here you have a .rar file with the text and the audio narration.
https://mega.nz/#!2Zp0zbJT!w5TUR8rr9C5LOWPM2tYfVcs7YD_-n2rUvXyY2fRtvlk
>>
Honestly? Reading and shitposting really helped me. But it is really astonishing how much you learn from series and movies. Start watching these with english subtitles a soon as possible. I don't think I have complete dominion over the language, but I'm comfortable enough to express myself about general topics. I still feel that my vocabulary and grammar is very childish. I wouldn't try to write a short story in English, per example.

Anyways, just do it, OP, forget that anything that talk/write in spanish exist. Spend all your time on English content and in sometime you will realize that you are improving a lot.

Anyways, OP, I would like to learn spanish, since I'm a native portuguese speaker I was thinking on getting some simple books and reading what meaning I can get, but using a dictionary to learn the words I can't get into. What some cool, simple books would you recommend? I honestly don't know a lot of writers on spanish, borges, garcia marques, bolaño... I guess it ends here, not much else probably.
>>
>>7363744
That's a really good question. At high school we used to study classical spanish works (like "La Celestina", "El Quijote", "El Lazarillo de Tormes"...), but I wouldn't recommend it to you unless you already have a historic and linguistic base. Maybe the most overrated book is "Crónica de una muerte anunciada".
I'd start with easy things, like a spanish translation of "The Little Prince" (in spanish is called "El Principito"). I mean, you should try with youth/teenager books to get a base. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I feel right now.

Also, here you have "El Principito" in pdf:
http://www.agirregabiria.net/g/sylvainaitor/principito.pdf
>>
>>7363744
>>7363804
Ok, I'm sorry, forget that link, and download this one:
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/3UPmEvYe/file.html
>>
>>7363744
I've learned quite a bit of Spanish from reading "Cuentos breves y extraordinaros", the anthology of microfiction collected by Borges & Bioy Casares. The subpage length of the stories means you can't rely on repetition to hammer the words into your brain and sail on context alone, but it's an easy way of learning a few a day.
>>
test
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.