[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skinny books.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 4d30cc79d538d.preview-300.jpg (26 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
4d30cc79d538d.preview-300.jpg
26 KB, 300x277
Oi lit, I've recently only read big heavy tomes that have more pages then James Patterson has published books.

I'm tired of them, I want skinny books I can read on one commute.

What are the best and most /lit/ ±100 page books?
>>
>>7354093
~100 pages will be hard, but "No Longer Human" and "A Hero of Our Time" are both sub-200 and really good. Some Kafka/Conrad, too? "Metamorphosis" and "Heart of Darkness".
>>
>>7354093
The Old Man and The Sea
>>
>>7354093
There is a novella chart in the sticky.
>>
>>7354093
Island of Dr Moreau

Journey To The End Of The Night

The Lord Of The Flies
>>
Point omega - delillo
Following this, started commuting recently and don't want to lug around 600-900 page hardcovers
>>
>>7354250
so get an ebook reader ?
>>
>>7354180
>Journey To The End Of The Night
Are you high?
>>
The Prince, The Stranger, Notes from Underground, Tao Te Ching

All of these are around 100 pages or less but some are just essays out of larger books. Still, it's a book you can add to your completed list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30869.Penguin_Great_Ideas

Seconding these
>>7354123
>>7354125
>>
waiting for the barbarians, the loser
>>
File: good novella tho.png (357 KB, 800x320) Image search: [Google]
good novella tho.png
357 KB, 800x320
>>7354093
train dreams
>>
File: murakami_what_i.jpg (96 KB, 981x1500) Image search: [Google]
murakami_what_i.jpg
96 KB, 981x1500
>>
A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver
>>
Omon Ra by Viktor Pelevin.

It's usually available in collections with one other of his novellas or with a handful of his short stories.
>>
>>7354093
Einstein's Dreams, u slut .
>>
>>7354180
>Journey To The End Of The Night
wtf man
>>
Notes from Underground

/thread
>>
File: Story of the Eye Bataille.jpg (19 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
Story of the Eye Bataille.jpg
19 KB, 226x346
>>
Consider some short story collections.

Chekhov, Gogol, Joyce, Bukowski, Tolstoy, D.H. Lawrence are some of my favorites.
>>
>>7354123
No Longer Human is excellent
>>
>>7355825
Just finished this. Greatly enjoyed it as it was every night of the week before my first half marathon. However, it simply won't appeal to somebody who does not run as a hobby.
>>
>>7354093
Caligula by Robert Graves was pretty good.
>>
>>7355903

I don't run and don't intend to and I am enjoying the book very much.

I wouldn't call running the centerfold, for me it's more like a biography of an author who happens to enjoy running quite well.
>>
The Dead by Joyce
Dream Story by Schnitzler

Both aren't easily classified length-wise - they're longer than most short stories but shorter than most novellas.

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is surprisingly short - I finished it in an hour and I'm a really slow reader. It's cool to read the original thing considering its common association with split personality today.
>>
Siddhartha
Graham Greene's short stories
The Myth of Sisyphus and The Stranger by Camus
>>
the road - mccarthy
>>
By Night in Chile - Roberto Bolano
>>
Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is among one of the best books I've read recently.
>>
>>7356236
>>7354093
No One Writes to The Colonel is Garcia Marquez' best story, as Marquez said so himself. The book itself is only 92 pages long, so it would be a very quick read for anybody.
>>
>Aristophanes - Lysistrata
>Ethel Voynich - The Gadfly
>Mark Twain - The Mysterious Stranger
>H D Thoreau - Walden

Bonus plays: Death of a Salesman and Comedy of Errors
>>
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Stranger
The Great Gatsby
Of Mice and Men
>>
File: 1442795158737.jpg (23 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1442795158737.jpg
23 KB, 409x409
Op here,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This truly is a comfy board.
>>
can someone recommend anything simple on french? my french is pretty bad and i want to learn it a bit more by reading some books

or russian would be ok too

it should be the original language
thanks
>>
>>7356802
Start with Le Petit Prince, then read some Camus
>>
Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo
>>
>>7354093
Moderato Cantabile- Duras
At Swim Two-Birds- Flann O'Brian
>>
Fahrenheit 451. not a joke, i actually liked it
>>
confession of a mask
>>
>>7354093
THE STRANGER GODDAMN
>>
>>7354180
Journey is over 400 pages dingus
>>
File: siddhartha.jpg (32 KB, 244x400) Image search: [Google]
siddhartha.jpg
32 KB, 244x400
This is my favorite book.
>>
>>7354093
Do you read fast, or do you live really far away from where you work/study?
>>
File: 1.jpg (9 KB, 269x400) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
9 KB, 269x400
57 pages
>>
>>7354093
I love skinny books.

The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem is a lesser known classic. It's hilarious, kind of a dystopic comedy subgenre.

Steinbeck has a bunch if you haven't read them yet. Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men are favs.

Saul Bellow's Dangling Man is good, although I wasn't a huge fan of his Mosby's Memoirs stories. The ones in Him with His Foot in His Mouth are better, especially Cousins and the title story.

George Orwell is good, his major two of course, but Down and Out in Paris and London is the best imo.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.