[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get started writing fiction? I've read a lot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: camus.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
How do I get started writing fiction? I've read a lot of non-fiction / philosophy and lately I've been enjoying novels by Camus, Sartre and Dostoevsky; ideally I'd like to weave in some existentialist themes.

I've had some very embarrassing experiences growing up that completely put me off writing - one time, a teacher even mocked my story in front of the class. I've always wanted to write but these experiences give me a lot of anxiety even though I'm 28 now.

In addition, I'm pretty much a turbo autist and really struggle with basic social interaction. I'm not sure that I can write convincing dialogue, when I can barely have a normal conversation with most people.

All that said, are there any books / guides you would recommend? Thanks.
>>
File: 1446524752697.gif (498 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1446524752697.gif
498 KB, 450x338
Please help /lit/
>>
Maybe some Kierkegaard? I don't really know. Sorry opie.
>>
>>7333363

Seriously, read some good fiction. A couple of very, very good novels or short story collections will instantly give you a better understanding on how to write. As someone who studies creative writing, I can tell you you can practice every day and all that shit they tell you about getting better. But really, the most I've ever learned has been from reading great literature. When you read someone like Dostoyevsky or Carver or Pynchon, really really carefully, and you understand just exactly what they are doing and how and why they are doing it, the next time you pick up a pen and a piece of paper I guarantee you WILL immediately be a better writer than you were before you read that.
>>
>>7333363
read dubliners
>>
File: 1443194228873.jpg (10 KB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
1443194228873.jpg
10 KB, 300x238
>>7333667
>you pick up a pen and a piece of paper
Are there any advantages to this over typing?

> A couple of very, very good novels or short story collections will instantly give you a better understanding on how to write
This is good advice, thank you.

>Dostoyevsky or Carver or Pynchon
So Pynchon is actually good and not just a meme? All right, I'll give it a go.

>>7333674
I've got A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Ulysses. Which order should I read these three in?
>>
>>7333688
start with portrait, you won't "get" ulysses before you've read a lot of fiction
>>
>>7333363
So, you've read garbage?
>>
>>7333688

>Are there any advantages to this over typing?
Not really, I always type too

>So Pynchon is actually good and not just a meme?
He might be meme, but he's pretty good. He's actually my favourite writer by far. I think most of /lit/ loves him and that's why it's become meme but don't let the meme win.

>I've got A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Ulysses. Which order should I read these three in?

Oh, do not read Joyce if you're new to fiction. I mean, you'll try to anyway, everyone does. You'll learn eventually. I tried to read Ulysses when I was 18, it was tedious to say the least. I've been working towards more and more difficult stuff so that one day I might give it a second shot, now that I'm aware of its scope. It's been 6 years since and I still don't see myself understanding it anytime soon.
>>
>>7333363
Good writing is not something you learn because you like the idea of writing, you need to have an impulse and drive to create. There must be something that is to be expressed that feels like a necessity to you.

You can follow dumb little guides but you will only ever be mediocre at best without this creative spark.
>>
File: 1401553293702.jpg (27 KB, 350x468) Image search: [Google]
1401553293702.jpg
27 KB, 350x468
>>7333667
> As someone who studies creative writing

Protip, ignore anyone who says this
>>
File: 1445682049380-1.png (8 KB, 255x301) Image search: [Google]
1445682049380-1.png
8 KB, 255x301
>>7333667
>As someone who studies creative writing
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.