[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you differentiate pleb fiction to patrician fiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: spider-man willem dafoe.png (560 KB, 1366x718) Image search: [Google]
spider-man willem dafoe.png
560 KB, 1366x718
How can you differentiate pleb fiction to patrician fiction? I'm a noob to reading, so far read some obvious fedoracore things like Stephen King's It, Long Walk, Hellbound Heart, Battle Royale and American Psycho. What prevents any of these of being held with any value amongst /lit/ elitists?
>>
I'd just try to enjoy your books. Something most people on /lit/ never do.
>>
>>7860640
>pleb
>patrician
>noob
>fedoracore
This really gets in the way of any kind of real discussion of whatever you might be getting at. It also suggests that there's not really anything worth getting at with this distinction. tldr: use your own thoughts and words OP
>>
>>7860640
American Psycho is beloved by a certain section of the site for reasons I can't fathom. I think The Hellbound Heart is the best book you listed, edginess and movie tie-ins notwithstanding.

If you are really new to reading, you need to start with a canon, like the modern library non-voted lists, the Harvard classics or blooms canon. As you read more the difference between literary fiction and pulp becomes profound, and eventually you begin to explore literature based on your own taste and enjoyment as >>7860676 says.
>>
>>7860692
American Psycho is liked because of the memetastic movie adaption, that much is obvious.
>>
>>7860700
That assumption will earn you much vitriol from certain posters. They legit believe it is a great book, and act as if it's critique of materialism is in any way profound. It's position on the recent shitty chart is not merely a meme.
>>
>>7860707
Well If I am to be honest with you I kind of liked American Psycho (the novel itself). I only read it because of the movie and memes and it's kind of like a dirty pleasure for me, I know it's nowhere near some of the literary classics I've read in terms of quality, but I reckon it's at least better than YA or any other really low level stuff.
I guess I liked it more than I should have cause I imagined Bale's face expressions and memery in every scene of the book.
>>
I'll say what we all know but will never admit.
The difference between a book/film/album being patrician or pleb is purely how popular it is among normalfags.
>>
>>7861072
I get that being contrarian is definitely one of /lit/'s favourite things, but that's still a bit reductive.

Imagine someone tells you their favourite book is Harry Potter. Now, maybe it is. Maybe they spend years reading all sorts of things, and in the end, Harry Potter was still their favourite. Now when I was 12 I like it, but it wasn't my favourite. It wasn't even my favourite YA series about magic, because I looked around for other things. If someone's preferred reading just so happens to be the same stuff that's been routinely forced up the collective cultural asshole, you have to wonder if they really came to that position after some real thought.

If there's a person who's favourite book is Harry Potter, their favourite show is Game of Thrones, and their favourite movie is Star Wars VII, no matter how good or bad you personally think those things are, you can't help but think that maybe that person hasn't explored that much.

Maybe they're just one boring motherfucker.
>>
>>7860692
I enjoyed American Psycho. And for some reason I also really enjoy the musical. Yes, there's a fucking American Psycho Musical.
>>
>>7860700
And now it's becoming popular again with a fucking musical, apparently.
>>
>>7860640
Style, complexity of the themes, structure of narration, poetic value, among other things.
>>
>>7860640
The more you read you just realize some shit is meaningless and you forget it.

Most medium teir shit is just okay and forgettable..
>>
>>7860676

>only plebs enjoy reading

epic meme lad
>>
>>7861072
False. /lit/ worships the Western canon.
>>
File: 1448441728183.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1448441728183.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>7863504
>he enjoys musicals
>>
>>7860640
if youre learning anything "being enlightened" then you should continue on with a work, if you feel like a 6th grader doing addition problems while reading a novel then you should probably move on.
>>
>>7864404
I actually currently major in musical theatre.
>>
>>7860640
Go back to /mu/
>>
>>7864828
I would, but the last time I mentioned that I liked musicals , they called me a faggot
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.