[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Plato, I think, was ill.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1870) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1870
>Plato, I think, was ill.
>>
>Plato was still young when he watched mob justice kill the greatest, kindest, and wisest man Western civilisation may have ever known
>Plato sat and wrote painstaking, loving accounts of the days leading up to Socrates' death, as he talked with his friends, defended philosophy without any hope of saving himself, declined a coward's flight from his execution cell, and slowly and gracefully died from the hemlock
>tfw you realize while reading the Phaedo that Plato probably cried onto the scroll as he wrote it
>tfw you slow down your reading and think of Plato, carefully choosing every word, as he described his hero slowly nodding off to sleep forever
>tfw ut te postremo donarem munere mortis et mutam nequiquam alloquerer cinerem, quandoquidem fortuna mihi tete abstulit ipsum
>tfw atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale
>>
>>7857469
>socrates
>great
>kind
>wise
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>7857469

> tfw you finally realize that Socrates was evil and Athens was actually right to execute him
>>
>>7857492
Elaborate pls
>>
>>7857469
>mob justice kill the greatest, kindest, and wisest man Western civilisation may have ever known

Fuck off, Socrates was guilty of breaking the Athenian laws and he was rightly condemned; one thing people forget is that he could have easily proposed a different penalty for himself (as was customary) be he chose not to do it. Not that I'm saying he was wrong though, but he certainly wasn't 'innocent'.
>>
>>7857512
Socrates was an inhuman mystagogue of science who even himself admitted that he was a sick person controlled by an evil demon and per defect lacked any capacity for man's one saving grace - art. He insisted that only that which could be rationally understood was true or beautiful and thus corrupted the then youth, now humanity, with the Faustian curse that will inevitably destroy us.
>>
>>7857530
But he did propose a different penalty: free meals for the rest of his life
>>
>>7857552
nietzsche leave, please
>>
>he could have easily proposed a different penalty for himself (as was customary) be he chose not to do it.
how does that make him guilty? not to mention >>7857676
>>
>>7857372
the illest
>>
>>7857945
Makes him guilty of not obeying the customs and subjecting his individual will to the people. As I said, he is not wrong, his conviction on the ability of self-conscious will to decide what is Good is an absolute important step in the history of the world, but he is still guilty according to the Athenian law.
>>
>>7857473
Whether he was any of those things, consider what he must have been to Plato
>>
>>7857552
>evil demon
>evil

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>7857469
Plato was a fag and his shit's retarded
>>
>>7857552
damn...
>>
this thread was fantastic
>>
>>7857965
Under my law, you're guilty of being a faggot, and must be put to death, it doesn't matter what good blah blah blah blah... you're still guilty under my law.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.