[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You ain’t nothin. >You speak truer than you know.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg (30 KB, 229x350) Image search: [Google]
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg
30 KB, 229x350
>You ain’t nothin.

>You speak truer than you know.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>spits and eats beans
truly the greatest author of our time
>>
>>7749227
>they rode on
goddamn poetic
>>
>>7749224
Why are they the state roads?
Because they used to belong to the states. What used to be called the states.
But there’s not any more states?
No.
What happened to them?
I dont know exactly. That’s a good question.
But the roads are still there.
Yes. For a while.
How long a while?
I dont know. Maybe quite a while. There’s nothing to uproot them so they should be okay for a while.
But there wont be any cars or trucks on them.
No.
Okay.
Are you ready?
The boy nodded. He wiped his nose on his sleeve and shouldered up his small pack and the man folded away the map sections and rose and the boy followed him out through the gray palings of the trees to the road.
>>
bump tho
memes aside, i seriously want to know what the judge means when he says he ain't nothin
i think this is crucial to the true nature of the judge
>>
>>7749245
What do you think it means?
>>
>>7749250
i think it's just mccarthy's way of letting the audience know the judge is the demiurge
>>
>double negative
>Judge laughs because the Kid is illiterate and inadvertently affirming rather than denying him
alternatively, the Kid has the last laugh, because as a spiritual creature he has unknowingly intuited that while the Judge can be spoken of as something, on the level of true metaphysical reality he is nothing at all, and this is best expressed by a self-cancelling phrase
>>
>>7749224
The Judge isn't a real human being, he's an entity that exists solely to drive already bad men to do evil.
>>
>>7749255
Well then there you have it.
>>
>>7749224
I couldn't read it.

It's just so fucking boring.
>>
>>7750152
I'm pretty sure McCarthy intended it to be boring and repetitive so the ending was more of a shocker.
>>
>>7750166
No I just didn't like McCarthy writing.
>>
>>7749224
It means tortillas and ye and cold autistic dark and and and and and and and and and and and and

and
>>
>>7749288
mirin
>>
“All night sheetlightning quaked sourceless to the west beyond the midnight thunderheads, making a bluish day of the distant desert, the mountains on the sudden skyline stark and black and livid like a land of some other order out there whose true geology was not stone but fear.”

That's my favourite sentence from that book. Maybe favourite of all time.

But, yeah, criticisms are true. It is boring and rambling and for every good bit there is a shit bit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

I simply cannot call this book boring, in prose or plot. I think large pieces of it are ugly or unpleasant, like when the three mexicans with the retarded child are eating the snakebit horse, but I cant call it boring.
>>
Not a sentence from Blood Meridian is boring, you fucks.
>>
>>7749288
Nice.
>>
File: suf mad.jpg (25 KB, 350x546) Image search: [Google]
suf mad.jpg
25 KB, 350x546
>reading to be entertained
>>
>>7750171
Mollusk.
>>
I reread the first page earlier tonight and realized the first actual dialogue in the book is the second paragraph, the father sitting by the fire drunk reminiscing to the boy about his birth.

And then suddenly the switch to first person makes sense.
>>
the audiobook is great
>>
>>7749255
I know the general consensus is that the judge is the personification of war/conflicts, but he always striked me as a gnostic archon. I read the book quite some time ago but if I'm not mistaken in the scene when he does the trick with the coin there are some relevant dialogue lines.
>>
He rose and stood tottering in that cold autistic dark with his arms outheld for balance while the vestibular calculations in his skull cranked out their reckonings.
>>
>>7754936
what about all the allusions to a supernatural nature specifically some kind of demonic thing
>>
>>7749244
is this bad? what's your point?
>>
>>7754549
Which one
>>
>>7749224
>quote
>what did he mean by this?
Fucking faggot cancer, fuck off back to plebbit or imgur or tumblr
>>
>>7756025
It's one thing to not be able to handle the bantz, but not being able to handle the memes is sad.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.