[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gotta write stuff about gender roles in pop music (yeah uni is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1448222900231.jpg (21 KB, 320x292) Image search: [Google]
1448222900231.jpg
21 KB, 320x292
Gotta write stuff about gender roles in pop music (yeah uni is a meme).
Recs beyond "bimbo singers use their image" and "rich negroes treat hoes as trophies"?
>>
"It's All Good" composed by DMX is literally the greatest work of all time.
>>
bro i read the sickest essay on this exact shit once, about androgeny in pop music, i think it was by the fucking power of myth guy, i know he wrote some plebish books but he was also patrish enough to write a guide to finnegans wake...then again maybe it wasn't him, can't remember.... any way the point is, all the successful pop stars are androgenous so both male and female fans can relate to them...look at michael jackson, not only was he ambigeous racially, but also genderally (?) and that cotinues today, i think he based it on some greek idea of the "flower child" which became a term used for hippies not because hippies had flower images, but because when boys grew long hair it became difficult to discern their sex, i think it's also in ovid...anyways, that shit is probably a required reading for your class anyways, but after it, you will never be able to look at popstars without noticing the way they subtly or not so subtly appeal to both genders
>>
>>7440152
>Not Ante Up
Didn't know they let fuck niggas on 4chan now
>>
There are no gender roles in pop music, every mainstream pop artist is carefully designed by the record company to appeal to a certain demographic.
>>
write about how "What Does the Fox Say" is problematic for people who identify as transotherkin
>>
>>7440130
If this is the only shit you could come up with, you should probably drop out of college before you waste more of your parents' money.

Hopefully you don't still write like the average high school. Aand don't lie and say you're beyond freshman year in a class like this.
>>
File: banana1.gif (2 MB, 600x248) Image search: [Google]
banana1.gif
2 MB, 600x248
>>7440130
try starting with something like:

In opposition to her portrayal by the white- and male- dominated media, nicki minaj could actually be described as a revolutionary artist reclaiming a primal notion of female sexuality unbound from andro- and Eurocentric bourgeoisie notions of eroticism.
>>
>>7440175
I'd unbind her andro- and Eurocentric bourgeoisie notions of eroticism if you know what I mean.
>>
>>7440130
analyze the prominence of little girls in touhou songs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8iu0XFUQc
>>
>>7440175
first of all niki minaj is a lesbian, there's some old vhs videocam footage of her in some nyc project stairwell legitimately tearing up because the rapper remy ma broke up with her, lol, but also her pop image is so over the top glammed up that a male viewer could imagine himself in drag appearing the same as her...in fact the dress she wore in the video for "lookin ass nigga" or whatever it was called, was worn by a transgender beauty pageant winner before that video was produced, so they were already looking towards the trans community during the creation of her image
>>
>>7440162
>>7440194

bah, this is a site of community college attendees and video game playing neets, why do i waste so much ink
>>
>>7440130
Talk about Lorde's appropriation of tropes from hip-hop and intentional use of muted colors in costuming to present herself as gender-neutral or androgynous. Tie this to her politics and her lyrics' fascination with dignity and authenticity. Make her choice of stage-name the centerpiece.
>>
>>7440203
did you see how buttblasted Questlove was about that song? lmao he wrote up some big ass essay for The Atlantic or one of those other publications for white people who want to read stuff by black people, Questlove is actually a pretty good writer, but he was fucking flustered and it showed
>>
>>7440130
talk about ariel pinks feud with grimes
>>
>>7440215
No, but I'm interested. Link?
>>
>>7440226
OP could talk about how Grimes is qt of the year for the rest of eternity.
>>
>>7440174
Damn son calm your ass, im that class we were told about how ABBA female singers were not as praised as male ones. Shit ain't deep in this place forgotten by Allah.
>>
>>7440227
i think it was in his "how hip-hop failed black america" series, there was one that was mostly just him being flustered by lorde...that whole series was a little sad though, he was basically looking for some reason that hip-hop isn't cool anymore and "hip" people in urban areas have moved on...it's like hey bro, the same thing happened to guitar music, don't take it personally or racially, sheesh...personally i blame the new tackiness of hip-hop on the influence of southern rap, when rap was cool it was a new york thing, an east coast thing, with a few bay and l.a. artists, let's face it, southern culture is fucking tacky, so when you let hip-hop become heavily southern it became heavily tacky, but he can't say that of course so he has to go around searching low and high for some other reason, which he doesn't find convincingly, still worth reading tho for sure, well, if you're sincerely interested in the fate of hip-hop culture anyways
>>
>>7440130
Buurrr, i bought a stoopid chain.
When you hear so icy, you thought of gucci mane.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.