[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Letters of Vincent van Gogh worth reading? Was he particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: Vincent.jpg (2 MB, 1603x2026) Image search: [Google]
Vincent.jpg
2 MB, 1603x2026
Are the Letters of Vincent van Gogh worth reading?

Was he particularly philosophical? Are his letters only read because of his fame as a painter?
>>
Nope.
>>
>>8291980
I think they have some merit since they give an insight into the mind of a great painter. He was pretty crazy though, his last letters to his brother show this pretty clearly.
>>
>>8291980
Generally, writing by painters make enjoyable reading (I don't mean Mein Kampf) because they talk in specifics:

"It’s a magnificent morning, the sun is shining through the large acacias on the playground, flashing on the roofs and windows visible behind the garden. There are already threads of gossamer in the garden, and it’s cool in the morning and the boys run back and forth to get warm. I hope to tell them the story of John and Theagene..."

So on that alone they have merit. There's really no difference between his paintings and his letters once you get into them. They're no more philosophical than what's usually on display, but you would expect him (a painter) to provide you the evidence and let you draw your own conclusions anyway.
>>
I remember they made me somewhat sad what with the whole

>Dear Theo, I feel that things are getting better
>Dear Theo, things are not getting better

back and forth that you see multiple times over the course of his life.
>>
>>8291980
Depressing af

There's a lot of family feuding, and his reliance on Theo is embarassing and appalling at times. Good picture into mental instability though

He was one of the more eloquent painters so it might be up /lit/'s alley
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.