[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English: What do you learn in academia that you can't from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
"'There are many things fit for a man’s personal study, which are not fit for University examinations. One of these is “literature.”…[We are told] that it “cultivates the taste, educates the sympathies, enlarges the mind.” Excellent results against which no one has a word to say. Only we cannot examine in tastes and sympathies.'"

"Since then, literary “science” has yielded many genuine discoveries. Biographical scholars have uncovered salient facts about authors’ lives; textual scholars have hunted down corruptions introduced by copyists, printers, or intrusive editors into what authors originally wrote. But for most students, especially undergraduates, the appeal of English has never had much to do with its scholarly objectives. Students who turn with real engagement to English do so almost always because they have had the mysterious and irreducibly private experience—or at least some intimation of it—of receiving from a work of literature “an untranslatable order of impressions” that has led to “consummate moments” in which thought and feeling are fused and lifted to a new intensity. These ecstatic phrases describing aesthetic experience come from Walter Pater, who was writing in Oxford in the 1870s—at just that “point of English history,” as T.S. Eliot put it, marked by “the repudiation of revealed religion by men of culture.” This was also the moment when English first entered the university as a subject of formal study."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1979/04/05/it-makes-you-wonder/
(Full article isn't free, sorry.)
>>
>>8204885
>(Full article isn't free, sorry.)

Then why post it, you fucking retard?
>>
>>8204885
Are you trying to decide whether to study English or not? You can try watching one of those Yale OCW courses to see what it's like.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A35EEAEE3880943
I love Don Quixote and I was eager to read it again along with watching that guy, who must be one of the best lit professors in the world. However, I found myself getting bored a lot, seeing how he talks a lot about literary critics, philosophy of aesthetics, other Spanish authors and Spanish culture. All of it was interesting, but it wastes a lot of time. You can easily find a book of criticisms, look up on the internet all of the references and be way more efficient.
If you want to study literature at uni go for classics.
>>
>>8204885
>These ecstatic phrases describing aesthetic experience come from Walter Pater, who was writing in Oxford in the 1870s—at just that “point of English history,” as T.S. Eliot put it, marked by “the repudiation of revealed religion by men of culture.”

Is the author trying to suggest that as religion was increasingly rejected by the university educated, the need for spiritual fulfilment found itself satisfied in aesthetic experiences?
>>
>>8204885
Stupid anime anon.
>muh anime about anime
>muh ignoring of shitty conditions s Japanese anime companies have
KYS
>>
>What do you learn in academia that you can't from reading on your own?
Well for one there is nothing in academia that you can't learn from reading on your own. The whole point of academia is only FACILITATING learning by being among peers and respected educators. You can learn everything about engineering, chemistry, pure math, filmmaking, or whatever else by yourself especially now with access to the internet and works that span all of modern history.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.