[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the best history books about world war two? is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: lmg38880.jpg (199 KB, 742x1000) Image search: [Google]
lmg38880.jpg
199 KB, 742x1000
what are the best history books about world war two? is there a chart perhaps?

I've been reading antony beevor's "the second world war". is it thorough?
>>
Here's a classic. Very comprehensive and thorough.
>>
>>8157734

thank you very much anon, this seems like what i've been looking for.
>>
>>8157734
Outdated now though.

Churchill's 6 vol Memoirs are extremely reliable and nice to have around the house aesthetically if you believe the source, he does fall short of attacking certain british generals which he admitted.

The best academic source on the third reich is Evans' Third Reich Trilogy.

The best book on the Holocaust is The Destruction of the European Jews by Raul Hilberg

Desert Fox, a biography of Rommel, is done almost exclusively off his papers and provides good accounts of the Desert War

I have not done much looking into the Pacific Theater, but Oppenheimer' biography American Prometheus is a great work on the nuclear effort.

Stalin: In the Court of the Red Tsar by montefiore is a great work on the eastern front
>>
>>8157744

what made it outdated?
>>
>>8157728
Their are absolutely heaps

How you go about learning about it is better than the books, get a broad over view on the war, have a knowledge on world war 1. Understand the causes for the outbreak of the war. Then get into the more specifics of the war

due to the way history books are written they usually aren't ever trash, just filled with shit that isn't that relevant, but sometimes it can be hard to distinguish it from stuff that plays a subtle role

I don't know about your knowledge but major things to look at are

The rise of the fascism
The blitzkrieg of France
The Battle of Britain
Operation Barbarossa
Operation overlord
The battle for Berlin
The North Africa Campaign
American war in the pacific
>>
>>8157756
Development of the atomic bomb as well. The making of the atomic bomb is pretty good, very dense science however, which I personally reslly enjoyed

There is a bbc documentary called the world at war, give it a watch, covers pretty much everything
>>
>>8157748
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Third_Reich#Criticism

Use the sources provided. Basically remember that Shirer is a primary source using secondary sources to fill in the blanks, a western journalist in Germany before the war that got exclusive access to undestroyed state archives afterwards. He is not a historian, nor did he have access to years of historical thought on the matter.

In his work Evans' devotes about 3 pages just to that source, and while he is respectful, he finds that its place as the "goto" history of the Reich may be more to its readability rather than to its academic rigor.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.