[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Growing up in the early 90's the eradication of gender stereotypes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Growing up in the early 90's the eradication of gender stereotypes and separete "boys' things" and "girls' things" was pretty big. No more did you have to play with dolls or race cars according to your gender and pink wasn't just for girls, men could want to become nurses when they grow up and women engineers.

Every person being an individual not tied down by their sex was a key point in how we should view people and give everyone an equal chance to make their own image and not stick to preconceptions.

Now two decades later this same society is obsessed with "If I like boyish things or act like a boy you have to call me a boy". Isn't that entirely contradictory? Gender is now the most defining part about you and you have to freely pick one according to your interests because you can't just be a girl if you're not girly.

How did this happen?
>>
>>6150633
I have no clue. I remember in my rural, very conservative town we had an "opposite sex day" during homecoming week, and it was no big deal. Then just a couple years ago in a medium size city all of a sudden it was a big problem that a school was doing that. Like "what are they teaching our kids", "gay agenda" and stuff like that. Fucking crazy.

It's the same with all the girl empowerment. From what I remember in the early/mid-90's there was a ton of that, and again, now it's like somehow they've forgotten that ever happened.
>>
>>6150633
I dont think this is as widespread as you're thinking. There's still plenty of butch girls and femboys and otherwise non-gender conforming people out there.
>>
>>6150633
>Now two decades later this same society is obsessed with "If I like boyish things or act like a boy you have to call me a boy"
Yes it's contradictory, but that is absolutely not the message anyone is trying to get across.

I could not care less what anyone's interests are. If someone is designated female at birth, has completely feminine hobbies and interests, but still experiences gender dysphoria, wants to pursue transition, and considers themself a male, then that person is (trans)male. Same goes for trans women.

The thing is, society still pushes people towards defined gender roles, no matter how much people pretend otherwise. And it's even more so for trans people. The smallest deviation from a given trans person's gender role can make people question their entire gender, which is contradictory to what you claim to believe.

Basically, trans girls are not girls because they like "girl" things; it's because they experience dysphoria when living as males. Many trans girls have "masculine" hobbies like video games or computer science, and people still shit on them for that. Yet when their hobbies are girly, they get flak for "conforming to stereotypes." Does that make sense?
>>
What are you talkign about? The 90's were the peak of products aimed at particular markets, by age, gender and nationality. You had cartoon for young latino girls, teenage black boys, and so on. It had more "girl" products than the 50's to the 70's, and they were considered a small market against the boys.
If a decade enforced genre stereotypes after the 50's it was the 90's. In comparison the 60's and 70's had the beat and hippie movements fighting standarization, and the 80's had crazy market overflow in every direction that allowed for too much variety that resulted in the 90's going back to boys consuming boy things, nuclear families and internal segregation among peers.
>>
>>6150755
Trans people just can't win
>mtf is girly
You're just mocking women, being a woman is more than being feminine!
>mtf is masculine
You're not real trans, why even bother transitioning?

>ftm is masculine
You just think you're a dude because you have boy interests! You know you can be girl and have masculine interests, right?
>ftm is girly
What? Guys can't like dresses and makeup! You're faking for attention!
>>
>>6150795
>Trans people just can't win
the aim of people struggling with mental illness shouldn't be to "win".

schizophrenics aren't trying to "win" and stop people wanting to help them
>>
>>6150733
This. OP is conflating "most common" with "noisiest". Nobody is crowing about men being allowed to cook and sew and be stay at home dads, or women being allowed to be doctors and lawyers and steel workers because that battle has been won. Nobody gives a shit that little girls play with trucks, that has fuckall to do with sexuality.

The rise of transgenderism is a case of rising tide lifting all boats. Gay people are being treated better under the law, so now transexuals (who have always existed) are standing up and saying "me too. I also would appreciate some basic human dignity. It sure would be keen to be able to go out in public without getting beaten to death."
>>
>>6150816
Way to miss the point entirely. You realize I just meant it as a phrase along the lines of "can't catch a break", right? Read my whole post and you would have seen I didn't mean it literally in the least, you fucking autist.
>>
>>6150848
Stop snapping at bait. They were obviously using a tenuous play on words just to invoke the tiresome "transexuals are mentally ill" meme for a few cheap (you)s.
>>
>>6150961
>meme
>>
>>6150828
>It sure would be keen to be able to go out in public without getting beaten to death.
pretty sure it's always been against the law for someone to murder you for using the restroom.
>>
BANE OF SOCIETY ASKS WHY
>>
File: 1462484916049.gif (776 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1462484916049.gif
776 KB, 500x270
>>6150816
>>
>>6151768
> Bane
Would it hurt if I took of your mask?
>>
>>6150633
>How did this happen?
Because some people didn't want to be defined by labels, but by their own identity.
And what better way to make your own identity than with an excessive amount labels?
>>
>>6151712
Yeah but people aren't always too enthusiastic about enforcing laws to protect people they don't like. It has been an issue in the past and still in some places with racial discrimination too, no one will be a witness in their favor and the cops don't take their legal complaints and cries for help seriously.

Trans people have been murdered in broad daylight in the street across from a police station with no one lifting a finger to help, they've been left for dead by ambulances after car wreaks. Do you really imagine that there aren't people out there like those in /pol/ who would turn a blind eye to some degenerate trannies having some "sense" beaten into them and blow it off as no great loss if things go too far and they die?
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 436x442) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 436x442
>>6151712
this. literally no one has killed a trans person, ever, because it is against the law. and we all know, no one ever breaks the law. ever. you trannies can rest easy
>>
I don't get it. I take HRT and dress cute sometimes to feel comfortable even though I am a boy. It's a bit silly that people obsess over gender these days.
>>
>>6150633
the french flag is the gayest one
>>
File: Pregnancy artwork.png (163 KB, 593x484) Image search: [Google]
Pregnancy artwork.png
163 KB, 593x484
Now there are men who want to be pregnant or give birth too like women.

Since women now can go to combat in the army, it's like gender is gone.
>>
>>6150633
History is filled with these moments. I just a few decades Germany turned from the center of European culture and a model of democracy into the most horrific dictatorship in the last century. Societal feelings can change very rapidly but science will still make slow progress way from public view.
>>
>>6150795
This though. There is no way of justifying your transition to others.
Girly MtFs are seen as a "mockery of women" and girly FtMs are seen as fakers.
Masculine MtFs are told they shouldn't even transistion and masculine FtMs are told they're better off as dykes or tomboys.
>>
File: Pregnant Asuka Langley.jpg (176 KB, 670x1048) Image search: [Google]
Pregnant Asuka Langley.jpg
176 KB, 670x1048
>>6153008
happy mothers day.

I support asexuals rights to reproduce.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.