[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly does a "gender therapist" do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: bent.jpg (6 KB, 288x126) Image search: [Google]
bent.jpg
6 KB, 288x126
"Yes, you're transgender"
"Okay"
>>
I went to my first session and told him that i was trans and wanted to transition. He then asked me a bunch of questions like how long have I felt this way, are there any situations where I'd prefer being a man over being a woman, am I suicidal, what's my sexual orientation, etc etc. After about three more sessions of questions like those he wrote a referral letter for hormones
>>
>>5422808
CHECKEM
>>
>>5422828
This basically, they're gatekeepers to sort out people with actual gender dysphoria from people who are just generally fucked up in the head.
>>
>>5422828
does being suicidal fuck up your chances...?
>>
>>5422828
Same.
>>
>>5429287
I've heard they won't refer you for HRT if you seem too unstable, but I'm not really sure. I was just honest and told him that I fantasized about killing myself a lot as a source of relief, but that I never had any serious plans to do so
>>
>>5422828
>what's my sexual orientation
>Tfw when you guys realise gender is actually linked to sexual orientation and that all this time you just made up this whole gender is a spectrum or shit seperated from sexual orientation that's a spectrum too because this is actually the century having its teen crisis because of the previous homophoico-mysiginistic-anti-foreigner century and that therapist never quit their analysing methods
>>
Gender therapist 7 years ago
>so you are confused about your gender?
>lets work together to find the root of this confusion and disphoria and if we can not fix it we can discus possibly transitioning.

Gender therapist today
>so you are confused about your gender?
>start taking these pills right now, we have to start your transition. I don't care if you are only 7 years old, if you played princess with your sisters barbie once you are trans.
>>
My experience (keep in mind this was ten years ago)

>didnt take insurance, had to out of pocket
>said "im trans give me hormones before father time rapes me"
>they say "next session we'll work out a schedule of when to get you hormones"
>string me on for months until i run out of money, never get hormones
>ask ridiculous questions like "if all men acted exactly like women, and all women acted like men, would you act like a woman or a man?"

Thank god for in house phx.

Its kind of like when you really really need an abortion, and you accidentally go to a crisis pregnancy center and waste time and emotions because concern trolls fucked you for feelz.
>>
File: 1446700563504.png (78 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1446700563504.png
78 KB, 250x238
>>5430605
>"if all men acted exactly like women, and all women acted like men, would you act like a woman or a man?"
>>
>>5430625
What is the right answer for that even supposed to be? kek.
>>
>>5430680
"I would act like a man but I'd still want the body of a woman" is probably the correct answer.

There's no Freudian trickery going on, gender therapists are just looking for the most sensational answer that reaffirms that you're trans. Which is fucking stupid.
>>
>>5429772
That's such fear mongering bullshit. The diagnostic criteria for children is still as strict as it ever was and parental consent is still required.

Fuck people like you for existing.
>>
>>5429772
Anon, how exactly is someone supposed to "work through" dysphoria?
>>
>>5430973
Anon's stupid but so are you. There are reasons other than unalterable brain problems that someone might be questioning their gender, transition is not necessarily the best option.
>>
File: badman.png (225 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
badman.png
225 KB, 2400x2400
>>5428991
FUCKING EPIC DUDE!!!!

WHAT A MEME!
M E M E B O Y S

E

M

E

B

O

Y

S
(le silly frog meme is attached)
>>
>>5422808
>"Yes, you're transgender"
>"Okay"
Unfortunately a decent therapist will never tell you this (I would actually suggest finding a different therapist if they outright said "you're trans"... if they say something like "given what you have told me, I can see how you could be/why you're feeling this way).. it's something you have to answer. They're really just there to help you organize your thoughts and make sense of things.. ask you questions you would've never bothered to ask yourself.
>>
>>5422808
make sure you want to transition because you're trans and not because of other issues like bpd, schizophrenia or internalized homophobia.
>>
>>5429772
The diagnostic criteria is stricter by far for children than it is for adults still today, and still involves at least a year of therapy, kindly fuck off back to terfland.
>>
>>5422808
nothing at all helpful, in my experience
>>
>>5429772
weird my therapist from 2 years ago was more like 7 years ago
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.