[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental illness or not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: 1446953984439.gif (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1446953984439.gif
51 KB, 500x376
Do you consider being transgender a mental illness?

I recently got formally diagnosed by a psychologist with GID and I'm curious to see what you all think of it.
>>
I want to wear women's clothes and jerk off for men on cam for money. Of course it's a mental illness.
>>
File: 1434422171474.jpg (13 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
1434422171474.jpg
13 KB, 259x195
>>5358809
>>
I always thought crossdressing was a fetish, and I considered transgenderism a genuine think. But the more I see the mental state of transexuals(with the flare for sjw) I see a broken person, a mental person.

I'm sorry if that sounds bigoted but that's just how perceive many transgender people. But there also must exist some well adjusted transgender people who aren't batshit crazy, maybe the crazy sjw's are always the loudest.
>>
>>5358809
GID isn't a diagnosis, so it's really weird that you were diagnosed with it.
>>
>>5358901
when you live with extreme repression and guilt, sometimes your brain gets a little messed up. there's also a lot of really serious shit you're missing. kids like us tend to be targeted for bullying a lot, or even worse shit like sexual assault. so yeah, mental illness is prevalent, but it's not causation in the way you think it is.

also yes, there's lots of well adjusted trans people, we just blend in seamlessly with everyone else. you've probably met a lot more of us than you realize.
>>
>>5358809
No, the American Psychological Association (APA) has changed the Gender identity Disorder (GID) diagnosis to Gender Dysphoria (GD) because they realized that both the mind and body of a transgender are fine, they are just mismatched in sex/gender. It is now just considered a condition of birth.

GID, now GD, is a diagnosis for those who are caused psychological problems by this mismatch between the sex of their body and the gender of their brain.
>>
>>5358809
Well, I've been stuck in the looney bin for the past eight months, and the shrinks have stated from day one it was a somatic disorder and that as such, it was none of their business and neither was HRT so they've kept renewing my script for it without change. They still provided me with a single room at no extra fee to avoid awkward moments and have used my target identity in daily dealings even if it's not official yet. So I really can't complain since it means I can stay stealth.
Now, saying it's not an illness at all, that's just tumblr bullshit and just as bad as fat acceptance, non binaries, "anti-ableism" and all such nonsense.
>>
>>5358809
The nice thing about medical science is it doesn't matter what people think. Doctors don't classify it as a mental illness, therefore it is not one
>>
>>5358809
No but I believe it should remain classified as such so that everyone who transitions must first receive therapy to weed out those who aren't truly trans. I think having it classified as a mental illness serves as a safety net for those who aren't really trans, and even then you get some who slip through, regret their decision and transition back and they're never the same.
>>
>>5359279
Gender Dysphoria is the mental illness. Being transgender is not.

Read this for the APA's statement on teh change from GID to GD.
http://www.dsm5.org/documents/gender%20dysphoria%20fact%20sheet.pdf
>>
>>5358809
yea, it is on the same level as otherkin and people that need to cut their limbs off.

>>5359219
only because they don't want to get murdered by a raging hon

>>5359325
which is the dumbest shit of all time, considering only trutrans have GD. the rest of the lot have an even worse mental illness.
>>
>>5359347
>the rest of the lot have an even worse mental illness.
How so? They can deal with their mixed sex and gender state without transition.
>>
>>5359347
>only because they don't want to get murdered by a raging hon
>muh conspiracies
If trannies actually held enough power to change mainstream medical science I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be seeing these anti-trans and bathroom laws in so many states
>>
"Illness" is always subjective. If it doesn't hinder your life in any negative way, I think it's not. But for most people, it does. I think it comes down to personal identification.

For me, I prefer to think of it more like a physical condition. Like I happened to be born with a body that doesn't match my gender, not that my brain doesn't match my body. If that makes any sense.
>>
>>5358965
Not that anon but I know where he is coming from.
I'm totaly cool with the trans thing but the majority of you are still basket cases.
>>
>>5358809
It's only a mental illness for people who desperately need the comfort of a binary world.
>>
>>5363263
>It's only a mental illness for people who desperately need the comfort of a binary world.
I don't need a binary world, yet I still need to transition. I'm much more feminine than society can deal with in a male body.
>>
>>5358809
it's not a mental illness a mental illness is a chemical imbalance in the brain or neurological difference that causes non normal behavior in a human being
>>
>>5359213
Stop lying faggot. You wouldn't have internet access. You'd be lucky to have a common room with a tv and a smoking area. What are you in some fucking Hollywood resort? They take everything from you in asylum to avoid stealing and you committing suicide with your pants strings etc.
>>
>>5358809
I think that to call it a mental illness might be misleading. But it's much like a handicap you're born with, or perhaps a bit like cancer (in that it's as though your body turns against you).

Essentially, the problem doesn't lie in one's brain and it doesn't lie in one's body, but rather in disharmony between the two. So in that sense, I think that it would be the most accurate to classify it as a psychosomatical disorder.

That's the core of it, at least; like a seed that is planted inside someone's essense before they are born. The underlying psychosomatical disorder is very detrimental to the development of the individual at all stages of development, and as a result many transgender people end up with horrible psychological traumas and blocks and disorders.

At the point where they transition, many transsexuals may already be a lost cause, both in mental health and sometimes ability to transition. But from what I've seen, it tends to stabilize things, and the longer people wait before they transition, the worse their mental health gets in the end.

So to summarize, I think it's a psychosomatic disorder that causes the development of mental illnesses when left untreated, and the proper treatment is transitioning.
>>
>>5366508
>Essentially, the problem doesn't lie in one's brain and it doesn't lie in one's body, but rather in disharmony between the two. So in that sense, I think that it would be the most accurate to classify it as a psychosomatical disorder.
The APA uses "condition of birth" just like they do for orientation.
>>
File: wp_ss_20150616_0001.png (9 KB, 480x183) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20150616_0001.png
9 KB, 480x183
It's all a plea for attention. Everybody wants attention and everybody thinks "I want to be noticed, so I have to go against the norm to get the attention I crave". But you don't, as humans, it's been proven that we're more attracted to averages. You want attention? Be unremarkable and you'll have people in tears and confusion over you.
>>
>>5368770
Ah, yes, that actually sounds like a much better description. Thank you.
>>
>>5358836
Idk if all trannies are like that but I'm not like that
>>
>>5368984
I wish I could be normal just a normal girl not some fucking tranny who barely looks like a girl
>>
File: bait9.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
bait9.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>5358809
We have this thread every day
>>
If Gender is a social construct, how is the brain premade as one or the other at birth?

What is the purpose of separating social gender from biological sex? Why can't a biological man act 'feminine' and a biological female act 'masculine' without the need for any additional labels? Why is there a need to draw more attention to yourself instead of just living how you want without causing a fuss?
>>
>>5369802
>If Gender is a social construct
It isnt. There problem solved for you.

Gender roles aren't really a social construct either. They're heavily rooted in biological differences.
Just as a quick example, females are more picky with their sexual partners because in purely biological terms, if they have sex, its 9 months of pregnancy, and 1 to 2 years of lactation. So the minimum investment in child rearing is 2-3 years, where as a man can ejaculate dozens of times a day and doesn't get pregnant, his minimum investment is maybe 5 minutes.
So women choose the partner and men compete, which is why men are 15%-20% larger than females on average, because theyre the ones who needed to be larger to win competition.

Fun fact, 15%-20% is actually classed as low sexual dimorphism. Its why trans people can be a thing. Male gorillas are like 50% larger than females, and other species are completely different colours based on sex.
>>
>>5358965
>there's lots of well adjusted trans people
>we just blend in seamlessly with everyone else. you've probably met a lot more of us than you realize.

You don't seem to realize that these two statements are mutually contradictory. Lying about your problems to all or most people you meet means you're pretty much by definition not well adjusted.

Also, you grossly overestimate both how many trannies there are in the first place and how hard you are to clock on average.
>>
>>5370164
>these two statements are mutually contradictory
Kek

>grossly overestimate both how many trannies there are
Roughly 0.3% of the population.
For comparison, 1% of people will be affected by schizophrenia in their life time. 33% will experience depression.

>and how hard you are to clock on average.
But its flat out impossible to get an average, because any trans person that passes isnt going to reveal theyre trans unless they have to.
So that just leaves you with the ones that kind of pass or dont pass at all, because you can actually clock them.
You have no idea what percentage of the trans population that is.
It's pretty stupid of you to say "hurr durr trannies dont pass, I can clock them" when there is guaranteed to be some that you dont clock and you have no idea what that number is.

Im sure I'm positive if I dont demonstrate this now, I'll only end up doing it when i respond to your reply so:
Take Kim Petras, early transitioner. Okay its common knowledge that she's trans. But, she never went through male puberty, it is physically impossible to clock her, because she never developed male secondary sex characteristics.
So there's proof there are trans people that would pass 100% and you wouldn't know unless they told you. You dont know how many more, especially in recent times, havent gone through male puberty. Or transitioned so soon after it didnt make much of a difference.

Additionally, you're ignoring trans men, who have the easiest time passing. Trans men almost never get clocked, especially if they just grow facial hair. Sure some of them are manlets, and a few might have wider hips, but unless theyre the epitome of female fertility and breeding potential, testosterone will make them look like any other man.
>>
>>5370223
>For comparison, 1% of people will be affected by schizophrenia in their life time.
Correct, so the average person can examine how many schizos they've ever known and infer a probable number for how many trannies they've met without realizing it from there.

For my part, I've never met a schizophrenic.
>>
File: tula_08.jpg (75 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
tula_08.jpg
75 KB, 500x399
>>5370164
>you grossly overestimate both how many trannies there are in the first place and how hard you are to clock on average.
LOL It's so hard Playboy got it wrong and had a tranny in their magazine and didn't know it.

This pic is from later when they did know. She had a full pictorial then.

>>5370436
>For my part, I've never met a schizophrenic.
Unless you knew the person, how would you know they are when you see them on the street?
>>
>>5370223
>So there's proof there are trans people that would pass 100% and you wouldn't know unless they told you.
Existence isn't prevalence. This is some shit reasoning here. By your own admission .3% of the population are trans, and even if we very generously assume that half of them pass, someone would have to meet on average 600 people before he met a tranny without realizing it. Even a very generous definition of "meet" makes this a high number; add to that the fact that trannies, like all other subcultures, tend to aggregate in specific places and groups, and you can easily see that the average person is unlikely ever to meet a tranny without realizing it. If they don't live in a big city they may never even see one in the street.

TL;DR you live in a bubble so thoroughly that you've forgotten that it isn't equal to reality; you need to get your head out of there and smell the java.
>>
>>5370476
>LOL It's so hard Playboy got it wrong and had a tranny in their magazine and didn't know it.
Special-general fallacy again. The fact that ONE tranny fooled Playboy ONCE doesn't prove anything; statistically it's just noise, literally one atom of noise. You can't say anything about averages by finding one outlier.
>>
>>5358809
yes sir.
you're just a weak boy, so you pretend to be a woman, but that's not how it works.
>>
>>5370482
>Existence isn't prevalence. This is some shit reasoning here
It wasnt to demonstrate prevalance fuck wit. The very nature of my argument is that its impossible to determine prevalence, but the fact there are trans people that pass 100% was preemptive so that anon couldnt just say "I can always tell when someone is trans"

>if we very generously assume
Nothing generous about it. You have no clue how many pass and how many dont. Thats the fucking point.

>add to that the fact that trannies, like all other subcultures, tend to aggregate in specific places and groups
Incorrect. Every trans person I've ever known avoids other trans people, because they dont like the reminder that theyre trans.
Maybe online they talk, but irl, theyd rather be normal

>and you can easily see that the average person is unlikely ever to meet a tranny without realizing it
Nyet

TL;DR your wild speculations based on next to nothing arent substitute for facts
>>
>>5370499
Except PlayBoy is in fact a very small sample size, specifically looking for very attractive women. They dont allow every woman in the country to be in their magazine. They only want the most attractive ones of a small number that are in the modelling business.
Of that small number of attractive women, there was a trans woman who was deemed to pass as well as any other woman and to be as attractive as them, without them knowing about it.

It's just proof of concept, there are very attractive trans people who pass 100%. And this was decades ago, back when transition was shitty as all fuck
>>
>>5370774
>anecdotes
>unfalsifiable handwaves
>blank denials
>then accuses other guy of nofax and speculating

even as a tranny i have to say ppl like you are gross, when you go "woo this is impossible to ever find out therefore i'm right" you make yourself and by extention all of us look like a retard. how can you deny that trannies gathrer into big cities even if they don't hang out???
>>
>>5370777
>It's just proof of concept
Proof of what concept though? Anon was talking about the average, it's totally true that finding one passer means nothing. He never even denied that in the first place.

Jeez, you guys are seriously making your side look bad here. The rest of us can tell you're aggressively missing the point, you know.
>>
>>5370784
>woo this is impossible to ever find out therefore i'm right
The only reason Im right is because my point is its impossible to find out. If I was arguing a position of certainty, using this logic, feel free to be annoyed. But that isnt what happening here. Im outright telling you you have no clue how many trans people pass, how well they pass, or how many you've ever seen or met.
The counter argument to that thus far has been "well here's some random estimates based on nothing, and heres another estimate based on nothing, therefore I'm right, trannies dont pass"

>you deny that trannies gathrer into big cities even if they don't hang out???
Theyre not gathering together. Of all the trans people youve spoken to on this board, how many have real life trans friends? How many join LGBT groups, or go out of their way to be around other trans people? Very few indeed, because they want to be normal and cis and not be defined by the fact theyre trans, or assume theyre going to like or have anything in common with someone just because theyre both trans.
>>
>>5370792
>Proof of what concept though?
And Im the one aggressively missing the point.
If you can muster the energy to scroll back, people who passs 1000% are simply proof that those people exist and can exist without anyone knowing.
Case closed. Thats literally all that needs to be said on the matter for anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence.

But since Im dealing with you, here you go: that makes it impossible to find an average. The very fact there's people in this category that can go completely unrecognised as part of the category means you can never know the average, because you dont have complete data.
All you can do is create an average from the ones you do know. And thats utterly meaningless. You dont know how few or how many arent being counted, so whatever you do from that point with the numbers is wild speculation.
Maybe theres plenty that passed because you didnt put them under scrutiny, or because you didnt have a chance to. Maybe theres more than you think that do pass flawlessly and quite obviously arent going to come out about it.

The bottom line is you have no fucking clue, and making stuff up to fill in the gaps is utter bullshit.
>>
>>5370499
>>5370792
It isn't just once. There are many fashion and glamor models that are transsexuals. Being a model, and especially glamor model, is the pinnacle of acceptance as a woman. So many transsexuals that had a chance and desire chose to strive for it. It is one of the ultimate affirmations of femininity. Especially the glamor side of modeling. Almost nobody outside the industry knows they are trans. Even many in the industry may not know the model they are working with is trans. Back then, early 80's, it was near death to your career if you were found out to be transsexual outside the industry. Take a look at what happened to Tula and her career when she was outed as a minor extra in the Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only". Many were justifiably quite secretive even within the industry. Because I was an assistant photographer and out as transsexual within the fashion industry, and actively crossdressing all the time, I had well over a dozen high fashion models tell me they were transsexual. Those were only the ones who went to the same clubs I did and were willing to tell another tranny. I also had two modeling agency heads tell me that they had multiple transsexual models their agencies booked for, and that was only two out of a dozen agencies.

My expectation is there are a large number of actresses who were transsexuals. That too would be a strong affirmation on their femininity.
>>
>>5370164
>Keeping your private health issues private means you're dishonest and not well adjusted.

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>5358809
>Diagnosed
>By a psychologist

Uhh I thought only psychiatrists did that
>>
>>5370436
>so the average person can examine how many schizos they've ever known and infer a probable number for how many trannies they've met
Please take a class on statistics.
>>
>>5371081
>being this delusional
>denying that it's a delusion

>>5371338
Well, you sure *sound* well adjusted.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.