[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heterocentricism in vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 1280x720
Is anyone else pissed at the lack of LGB and *cough* T *cough* options in video games? I started playing Fallout 4 today and while there are a few gay romance options, when the story opens you are supposed to be in a "progressive and diverse community," that has been specifically planned, but there are no non-hetero couples there...

Honestly, though, I like to self insert into video games like this but they don't allow me the option of playing a cute little femguy. What gives?
>>
>>5270876
it says in the game manual all the men are ftms and all the women are mtf
>>
Play a game that isn't created for mass appeal to the common denominator
>>
>>5270876
>Repopulating after apocalypse.
>why no jam wrong genitals together to make babies?
>must be secret transphobia
I would like to see femboys but its not reasonable to expect every work of art to cater to every minority. Just wait like a month for nekoboy mods or whatever. Solved.
>>
>>5270894
seriously this
>>
>>5270893
Shut up. I don't care about the tranny stuff.

>>5270894
What non mod vanilla title allows femboys...?
>>
>>5270899
Anyone know the approximate population of the Fallout world? You'd probably need to wipe out at least half of the modern world's population for a high global birth rate to be necessary.
>>
>>5270912
It's whatever the writers need. And Bethesda has gotten lazier about the world building. Nuka cola is still fizzy after like 300 years and shit. This is not hard sci-fi.
>>
>>5270876
Get the fuck over it. the world is not made to our specifications.
>>
>>5270912
According to a population census in 2241, the population at that time in the NCR was at 700,000 people. So let's assume that same number could be found east of the Mississipl. And big countries like Russia and China would have large populations... They probably managed better than the U.S.A. cause their social programs were better...
>>
>>5270922
But it should be. Do they not realize we are the future? We aren't going away just because they engineered AIDS.
>>
>>5270876
understand the setting
americas culture in the fallout series never progressed beyond that of the 1950s with all the positive and negative aspects of such a culture (though with more negative towards the great war as america became an increasingly more authoritarian police state mirroring nazi germany right down to concentration camps as can be seen in owb for new vegas and pl for fallout 3) this includes racism sexism and homophobia all it takes is a little imagination and storytelling to have your character be a closeted homosexual until after the bombs fall where in a world where those prejudices are less prevalent (though still present) your player character proceeds to fuck just about any man/woman you can
as for being transgendered, whose to say you arent?

its (barely) an RPG, so roleplay for fucks sake
alternatively play a game that isnt shit, new vegas allows you to play a homosexual or bisexual, with perks for it and everything that allow you to complete objectives in ways you otherwise couldnt
its also an objectively better game in just about every respect
>>
>>5270876
also understand that LGBT are a minority of the gaming demographic, why wouldnt they cater to their primary demographic?
>>
>>5270955
There are no homo perks in 4.
Also, racism isn't a big thing pre-war, as you can be an interracial couple in 4 and there have never been racial restrictions since 3. Even in a conservative/Nazi society, there would still be femboys because all these Republicunts were closeted homos anyway. I don't get why I have to play some burly cos-male. The game clearly isn't just oriented to guys, or the women would look better.
>>
>>5270989
Seriously? I know there are some messed up people out there, but so long as you don't go around acting like some degenerate drag queen the young ones don't really care and actually support marriage and all that.
>>
>>5270989
>or the women would look better
that isnt intentional
bethesda are just utterly incompetent
>>
>>5271205
But why would they spend so much time making the guy have options when most gamers will play as the chick?
>>
>>5270876
Being a T in Fallout would be fun if dysphoria was considered.
>dysphoric episode, SPECIAL is damaged until it passes
>>
If they shoved lgbt into games just for representation the characters might very quickly become unrealistic tokens. We're still a minority, so we're also a minority in diegetic gaem worlds.

I'm also wary of devs trying to push diversity. I mean, I'd rather they go Arcade Gannon than Anders.
As for trans people, no idea. I am trans, but I just want to play the cis dude I wanna be one day in my games. I don't really want these issues around so much and don't see how they would fit or make sense in-game. How would you even notice if it's not Bioware you-can-fuck-all-your-teammates shit? Would they be a hon? Would it actually play a role in the story? I mean, I was even uncomfortable with Izana from Knights of Sidonia because of her transition arc. I don't really understand why there should be trans character options, either--But, as I've said, I can immerse myself into cis dudes the best, because THAT's who I'd love to be, not an ftm.
>>
>>5270876
"oh noes guise I can't be an aids ridden faggot in this vidya gaem... that plays in a world that WIPED OUT OVER 90% OF ALL HUMANITY, we must tell anita about this or petition the presidont to ban the gaem" that's how you sound, you faggot
>>
Was disappointing desu. Was looking forward to playing it but I guess I didn't get the memo that Fallout was no longer a roleplay game.

It is kinda gay, because I do feel Bethesda have fucked me in the ass with this release.
>>
>>5270876
>femguy
I imagine you as a hideous and masculine tranny that thinks he/she looks good when in reality you are a trainwreck.
>>
The problem is you can never satisfy the people asking for representation.

>add woman/ethnic minority/lgbt person into game
>does this person have flaws?
>if yes: you are sexist/racist/homophobic for your portrayal and reinforcing stereotypes.
>if no: you are making a token marry sue appropriating sex/culture and using it to make money.
>>
How is anybody this clueless and what are they doing on 4chan, I fucking can't stand this awful board
>>
>>5270876
>Is anyone else pissed at the lack of LGB and *cough* T *cough* options in video games
No, it's just you, Anita. Stop obsessing over trivial stuff and go solve real problems, you fucking autist.
>>
File: 1442603354130.gif (496 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
1442603354130.gif
496 KB, 500x284
Hey, you either piss off the 3% or the 97% of gamers (those are from gay/bi population statitics btw). Guess which option brings more cash?
>>
>>5271630
The current amount of "diverse" characters is not even in line with any statistical data, they just put as much of them as they can without ruining the plot completely.
>>
>>5271630

That 3% is the number of potential customers that will get pissed off that there's homo options in the game. And even then, three quarters of that percent will just buy it anyway.
>>
File: consider the following 9.png (113 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
consider the following 9.png
113 KB, 500x377
>>5271656
>optional
You are not getting it. As >>5271641 said, they have to find a balance. It could ruin the story. And now let's talk money. You make an option where you are a straight guy. That's what a good part of games have. Now when you make an option, you have to adjust the whole story, change characters, record new dialogs, and that's the change after one (let's say) gay male character.
Now jump straight into the final product. We would have an option for S/M, G/M, maybe even B/M and B/F, S/F, G/F, and that is only the genders and orientations of the "majority of the minority" we want to serve. Now if you throw in a trans option, for both MtF and FtM, it will just fuck shit up even more.
These ideas you guys come up with could bankrupt steam for fuck's sake!
>>
>>5271672

They already did that in New Vegas. Look at the wiki page for the perk "Confirmed Bachelor". It has about two dozen little things in the game that change if you have the perk. Then double that to include the lesbian perk.

It couldn't have taken that much time, in the scheme of things, to plan and implement those. But they were on a scale slightly larger than an easter egg. If you tripled the scope of it, it would become a project on its own, but the effects would be felt.

Right now, the publicity of such a move would make it worthwhile in the end. Problem is, the upper management in video games is usually about a decade behind the times.
>>
File: 119891brp1.jpg (219 KB, 1000x592) Image search: [Google]
119891brp1.jpg
219 KB, 1000x592
>New Fire Emblem has gay/lesbian option
>Version exclusive depending on which one you get
>first two campaigns were on one cart in Japan
>Nintendo of America sucks all the dicks and split one game into two
>Only way to get all three campaigns on one cart in America is the special edition that's sold out everywhere now

I am constantly reminded why I hate Nintendo of America.
>>
No.

I'm concerned about the economy, growing unemployment and how I might get fired any day soon possible because of resource cuts, chaotic situation in Middle East and also how it causes conflict in West, lack of human rights in countries that get supported by US, colleges being more and more about "safe spaces" and other absurdity instead honest education and learning to question things, people getting more and more interested in shallow stupidity instead what actually happens around them.

I'm not concerned about fucking video games and if you are, you need a reality check.
>>
I couldn't possibly care less about any subject in the world.
>>
>>5270899
it's appropriate to have a character creator at the very least.
>>
>>5272072

>Gay option is a sadistic thief who doesn't unlock his child character if you go gay
>Lesbian option is a carbon clone of one of the most pandering Nintendo characters in recent history, so this way lezzies can get into it as well.

I'm not saying they should be amazing or even decent people. Just make the two butlers bi or something.
>>
>>5272182
The gay option also looks like they couldn't choose between a twink and some bara shit. This is why I hate having only one gay option in a game because they try to pander to everyone they can with one character.
>>
>>5272189
>Benoit or Arthur can't be gay options
>Seemingly bisexual girl who playfully hits on girls all the time can't be a lesbian option
>EVERYTHING ABOUT FUCKING FOLEO
>>
File: 1401947477063.jpg (24 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1401947477063.jpg
24 KB, 500x332
I can understand wanting same-sex romance options, I think that's a fair thing to want.

But even as a trans girl, I don't really see what more you'd want from Fallout. You can already choose your gender.

Maybe a third gender option for nonbinary people would be cool, I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 373x327
>>5270876
No, because im not a total sperg
>>
>>5272133
How silly of you! Have you skipped your liberal studies again? Don't you know that media representation of minorities is way more important than economy, liberty or political stability?
>>
>>5270876
You can cross dress. All romance options are bi. What are you missing? You want the option to turn your dick inside out and pretend it's a vagina too? Fuck me, just wear a dress or play as a female character you sperg.
>>
>>5272226
If we're going to use snowflake modern terms, then you actually choose your sex in fallout games, not your gender. There's no such thing as a non binary sex. They could add hermaphrodites I suppose, but once they add one birth defect they have to add them all.
>>
>>5270939
>we are the future
>gets upset about not being able to play as a "femboy" in a video game made for kids

yeah, sure buddy boy.
>>
>>5279715
Does Fallout have any scenes were you can actually see someone's genitals? Otherwise you're not really chosing your sex, but your gender expression/presentation (i.e. which sex/gender you look like, regardless of what your anatomy is or what you identify as).

The main issue I have with character creators in video games is that there often isn't an option to be androgynous - largely because they have separate male and female models (rather than a gender-neutral model that can be adjusted with male or female characteristics), and a lot of clothing options are only available for one of the models. That can make it difficult to make a femboy or boyish girl character.
>>
>>5272133
South Park conservative. You can care about more than one single thing at once instead of letting the media make you think you're too stupid to handle multiple issues of varying urgency at the same time like a grown-up without being overwhelmed.

To add, broadcasting your lack of concern with the details of popular culture isn't an indication of intelligence or a heightened connection to reality. You're just purposely removing yourself from the zeitgeist because you feel like it makes you better than everyone else, a manlier man, a womanlier woman, an adultier adult, whatever. It's why you found this thread and took the time out of your totally important life balancing peace in the Middle East with the economic future of the planet to tell others how frivolous their interests are.

Truly, you live in the real world where the real problems live.
>>
>>5279726
>in a video game made for kids
That's why the rating says only adults can buy it amirite? You're the type of clueless asshole who buys their kid GTA and cries about their kid's exposure to drugs and sex.
>>
>>5270876
>Is anyone else pissed at the lack of LGB and *cough* T *cough* options in video games?
Not at all.
Because expecting straight people to come up with lgbt characters is downright insulting.
That's like having a redneck write a story from the perspective of a muslim.
That shit ain't gonna go right ever.

Quality over quantity, and Sturgeon's law applies here too.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.