[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of getting my first long range / bolt action rifle as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: bolt-action.jpg (156 KB, 1851x1024) Image search: [Google]
bolt-action.jpg
156 KB, 1851x1024
Thinking of getting my first long range / bolt action rifle as a graduation gift, how much should i look to spend on the rifle (without optic) and which ones should i be looking at.
>>
File: 1462123186071.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462123186071.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1200
>>29803444

Depends on what you mean by long range. You should figure out what ranges you want to shoot at before you decide on a caliber.

Once that's taken care of, you need to figure out how much you are willing to spend on the rifle (keeping in mind that you should spend at least as much - if not more - on the optic as you do with the rifle).

People have done well with the .308 Winchester caliber, but it's not exactly ideal for long range purposes.

You could look into 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 Win Mag og .338 LM.

Keep in mind that fluted barrels are a meme, and should be avoided. Same thing with pencil barrels (they reduce weight, but at the cost of faster barrel heating which affects accuracy).
>>
going to the range and banging steel only? no plans to load your own? want to "get into" long range without doing hours of research on your own? just buy a fat barreled 308 and stick some vortex shit on there like everyone else.
>>
>>29803509
The only range near me is 100 yards but i'd like to be able to do 200 at least when im able. Mostly going to get shooting targets maybe some hunting if the mood strikes me. Would be willing to spend a thousand or two on just the rifle if i really liked it.
>>
>>29803444
First, you should watch that series from TiborossaurusRex.
One more thing, with a budget of around 1.4k to 1.7k You can get quite a good rifle as long as you're willing to change some things on it.
ex:
Remington 700 .308 win mag.
AICS 1.5 stock.
SWFA SS x10 fixed power.
Harris Ultralight LM S Series bipod.

This on the hands of someone who practiced and understands and knows how to make charts will get you to 1km without issues.

as >>29803509 .308 is not really made for long range stuff, but IMO it's cheap and a solid setup to learn how to do that shit properly. After you learn that, start learning how to reload then you can save cash and get something like a Lapua or Cheytac if you really have cash.

Also please no .50 meme rifle, Unless you know how to reload and you're using expensive shit like A-max you won't really do proper long range shooting with a .50.

Anyways Rex will explain the basics of everything you need to know, after that, if you really managed to endure all that shit, it means you're into it and it's time to start researching and practicing yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

One last warning, people sometimes get butthurt at him talking about god and shit but he knows how to do his long range shooting stuff, plus the fact he doesn't propagate fudd bullshit, it's all math that can be reproduced instead of myths.

Shit this pot got big.
>>
Get a 6.5 creedmore. Rpr or howa barreled action dropped into a chassis. Depending on what you got left for budget get the best scope you can afford. People will suggest all kinds of shit for optics. Keep in mind that 3/4 of /k/ doesnt own scopes at all so its all hearsay. That being said ive got a gen 1 and 2 razor and wouldnt hesitate to recommend either. Ive also got an hst that lives on my 22. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend nightforce, 34mm tubed bushnells, or s&b either. Leupold tactical offerings are hit and miss. No personal experiance with other tctical scopes.

Shoot factory ammo while saving for a reloading setup. Keep all your brass. If you dont ever want to reload enjoy medicore results and sell once fired brass for 50c ea.
>>
>>29803444
Firstly +1 to this.
>>29805622

Come back after you've what some vids , he even gives you and idea how to select a rifle and what not.

If you're just here for recommendations.

Savage 10 FPC's are nice imo, get a McMillan if you can find one.
>>
>>29805469
So your spending money on a sports car to drive in a school zone?
>>
>>29805469
Buy a good 22LR, install a rail with as much inclination as available, some Burris XTR signature rings with 20 MOA inserts, and mount an SWFA super sniper on it. Also a case (5000 rounds) of subsonic 22LR ammo.

Go shoot.

You'll learn a hell of a lot about ranging targets in the field and reading wind, and technique, all of which you can later apply to longer range shooting with a centerfire.

99% of "What should I buy to shoot LR" people end up spending a shitload on gear then selling it before the first barrel is shot out, because you can't buy your way to success. It is easy but it takes study and practice. No better path than 22LR.
>>
>>29806520
What's a good 22?
>>
do you want an out of the box ready to go, or are you willing to do a little work?

for an out of the box, look around 3 grand if you and a chassis adjustable stock.

if your looking for a lesss custom option, look at at the Remington, and savage offerings.

If you are willing to build it your self, you can choose the chasis of your dreams and be in around $1400.

My choice,,,,, semi custom.
Buy a factory barreled action, and drop it into the chassis of your choice.

Options,

Howa 1500,
Savage Custom shop
Tikka

are the 3 i would look at first.

Factory rifle,

Ruger Precision Rifle
Savage 12 LRP
Tika
Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500
CZ 550
FNH SPR

Remington 700...
>>
>>29806386
200 yards is nothing .

that is possible with any rifle made today, in any caliber.

200 yrds is like what 100 yrds was 40 years ago. and 100 yrs is like 50 yrds.

The tech and craftsman ship in the guns and ammo has come that far.

>>29806560
CZ 452 or 455, Sako Quad
Anshutz ( but that will be out of your price range, unless you looking to buy a gun you can hand down )
>>
>>29806560
Aforementioned CZs, Annie 54, Remington 40X..all top notch target rifles.

A Ruger American would easily get you well on your way.
>>
Heard good things about howa 1500
>>
File: 20160429_144204.jpg (625 KB, 2125x1196) Image search: [Google]
20160429_144204.jpg
625 KB, 2125x1196
>>29803444

Remington 700 Milspec 5R.

Remington has the most customizability.
>Will it perform out of the box quite like a Savage Model 10 FPC, Ruger precision rifle/american rifle, or tikka t3 tactical?
Yes.
>Does it have a fuck-ton of aftermarket customization?
Yes

No, .308 winchester isn't the IDEAL cartridge for long range precision. But as you have stated, this is your FIRST long range precision rifle. You will shoot several thousand rounds before you truly reach the point where you can claim that the caliber is what is holding you back. And when you've shot those thousands of rounds of .308, you will have saved enough money to order a superior custom barrel like a bartlein barrel, and have your rem 700 action trued and rebarreled for 6.5creedmoore, 6.5x47 lapua or some 6mm caliber.

You have my full attention, and as a fellow long range precision enthusiast, I will do my best to help you learn what I have learned.
>>
>>29803509
learn to read the op you stupid fuck
>>
>>29806724
Well thats what i was trying to say.why spend money on a dedicated long distance shooter when most rifles can. achieve great accuracy at 200 yards.
>>
>>29806724
>200 yards is nothing
I think that was his point.
>>
File: 1461848886532.png (103 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
1461848886532.png
103 KB, 283x283
>>29807778
>No, .308 winchester isn't the IDEAL cartridge for long range precision
Look at the ballistics of the Hornady 308 superPerformance match 178. Factory Ammo at not so horrible prices good for 1k Yards. I Switch over to 6.5 Creedmore for 1400y with a 143 gr. and a 338 lapua for 1400+ Plus.
>>
File: OP's favorite pastitme.gif (2 MB, 371x205) Image search: [Google]
OP's favorite pastitme.gif
2 MB, 371x205
>>29812546
Also learn to Strelock and velocities . Awesome free tool
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.