[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: maxresdefault.jpg (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35 KB, 1280x720
/meg/- Military Enlistment General

SASR edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW (embed)

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857 (embed)

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
>>
File: 1463811899184.jpg (193 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
1463811899184.jpg
193 KB, 600x739
Guess I'm starting this shit off.

I was born without the sense of smell. The only people who know are my parents and one or two of my best friends. I'm going to get my MEPS date any day now, and I left it off the medical prescreen, obviously.

As long as I wash my ass, it'll never be an issue as an infantryman, right? It didn't even cross my mind until it popped up on the medical form.
>>
>>30538625
If that's your only problem I don't see it ever being an issue as long as you don't bring it up.
>>
Any other airforce here
>>
Anyone have experience with the Canadian Royal Navy? Hoping to become an officer after I graduate this spring.
>>
>>30537195
Do you have to shower with other guys in the army? What percentage would you say are circumCised vs uncut?

Also should I shave my pubes before going to basic?
>>
>>30539726
Yes
>cutfags
trim
>>
>>30538625
There is no scratch'n'sniff test at MEPS. You're fine, just never mention it, ever.

And yes, wash your ass. I was Infantry and nothing worse than an unhygienic mother fucker.
>>
>>30539478
air force is for pussies yut rah kill
>>
Post your branch and mos please

I'm curious
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1000x649) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1000x649
So I went against what my mother told me to do, I went downtown where the marine corps recruiter was hanging around. Says id be an excellent candidate if I was to lose a bit of weight, get my blood pressure down, and be able to pass the basic physical.

Here's the kickers.
>she asked me to look over this book at let her know what applied to me.
Told her I had smoked pot when I was younger, but would piss clean no problem.

>saw a section about "depression" and other shit like that
Didn't say anything because I never saw a doctor for it or anything. I don't really have "depression" but every once in a while I just wake up on the wrong side of the bed and feel bummed out or aggravated. Should I say something about that?

How bad did I fuck up? Will I be denied security clearance? If so, what mos's don't require them. Just in case.
>>
File: Yv1CQO.png (309 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
Yv1CQO.png
309 KB, 500x367
Do you get drug tested whenever you enlist? Also what happens if you piss positive? Sorry for being a degenerate cuck goy but I enjoy my herb and occasional opiate.
>>
>>30541772
Talking about the Navy if that even matters.
>>
>>30541801
>>30541772
auto DQ you fucking moron
>>
>>30541567
USAF intel here, TS/SCI clearance

You won't be denied a security clearance. I know some motherfuckers who have some shitty pasts who have their clearance. The big thing is to always be consistent with your story and make sure your friends are too. Its fine that you smoked pot once, but they will dig a little deeper into it. If you say you did it 3-4 times but your buddy says you guys toked up every weekend for a year, you'll probably encounter some problems at least. Dont list shitheads you used to hang out with as references. Be aware that when they interview your friends, they may ask them for more references as well.

Don't mention the depression. Everyone has those days and feels bad. Basically, if there isnt documentation of it, don't say it.
>>
File: tumblr_mhu4kfeT661rn7r2go1_400.png (257 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhu4kfeT661rn7r2go1_400.png
257 KB, 400x299
>>30541816
thanks. I'm only considering enlisting as a last resort for personal reasons, which may be years down the line so i'll have plenty of time to get clean.
>>
>>30541866
I am not the druggy shit poster. If I don't have any real friends to reference, would that look bad on me? I'm going to college, would it make sense to reference some of my teachers maybe?
>>
>>30541866
Thanks bruh. I almost want to try to get an mos that doesn't require a clearance at all just to avoid the whole headache. I was kind of a loser a few years back, but I never did anything too crazy.
>never arrested
>smoked pot a few times
>got into a few fights back in middle school but nothing ever got passed that.
>i used to be a bit of a party junkie after high school, but once again, no drugs other than pot and getting shitfaced a few times a year. (I no longer drink)
>had a small rut a few years ago when my grandmother was hospitalized, but now that I found something I want to do in life I feel much better about myself and things.

I really don't think I could get anything passed secret, because according to wiki, they only check to make sure you have no criminal records or any debts /
Bad credit.
>>
>>30541866
Hey man. I'm 20, a year at a full time job (retail), and when I was in highschool I was an honor roll student and all that gay shit. I have no criminal record or anything like that.
I've been wanting to join the Army in intel for a while now and I was wondering if you had any input on how 2 things would effect me getting TS and if it would come up/be asked on an interview or whatever:

1. I smoked weed a few (4) times just after I graduated school with some people I never talked to again.
2. When I was like ~15-18 (the first few years I was on 4chan) I looked at a lot of CP and related degenerate shit. I haven't looked at in ~2 years and have no plans to look at it ever again.
>>
>>30542099
They'll ask you for a reference for every place you've ever lived, every job you've ever had, and every school you attended in the past 10 years, or since you were 18. Teachers would work fine for this. They will also ask you for three people who know you well to use as character references, they have to go back a combined 10 years and cannot be family. I used a family friend who has known me since I was a kid to go back that far because I have moved a lot and don't really have any friends that go that far back.

>>30542203
USAF has a limit of smoking pot 15 times. Don't know if that applies to getting a clearance or not. You can choose to be honest or you can lie and keep up that lie. As long as you aren't a real dirtbag who has friends in Iraq or China, you can probably get a clearance. Just make sure your story correlates with whatever your friends tell them.

FULL DISCLOSURE. Some jobs require a lie detector test. My AFSC did not but some others do, and I imagine that goes for the other branches as well.

>>30542379
They're mostly looking for foreign contracts and big dirtbags. Do you regularly talk to Chinese nationals? Have you ever left the county? Do you plan on lying on your SF-86? These things will all haunt you. The CP, I can't really remember anything that would have brought that up on the form. I don't know if Army intel will throw you on a lie detector test but be prepared for that.

For all three of you, I recommend downloading Form SF-86 and reading through it and seeing what they look for. When I got interviewed, he pretty much just clarified timelines and asked a few questions about my answers. It was to get me to certify in person under oath that all my answers were true to the best of my knowledge. The interviewers are all pretty cool, from my experiences. I've done character references for several of my friends and it's all chill.
>>
>>30542571
>They'll ask you for a reference for every place you've ever lived, every job you've ever had, and every school you attended in the past 10 years, or since you were 18. Teachers would work fine for this. They will also ask you for three people who know you well to use as character references, they have to go back a combined 10 years and cannot be family. I used a family friend who has known me since I was a kid to go back that far because I have moved a lot and don't really have any friends that go that far back.

Nope, don't have any of that, or enough of it. My childhood was pretty unstable.
>>
>>30542695
It goes back 10 years OR since you were 18. I got my clearance at 21 so I only had to list shit I've done since 18. I had to do some serious digging to get it done, looking up people on facebook that I havent talked to in years to get info and ask them if it's ok to list as a reference in a federal investigation. It's a huge hassle, took me probably a month to get my form completely filled out.
>>
This is a broad question, but I am looking to go into any branch that can offer me a career or experience working with nuclear development either in the weapons sense of in the reactor sense. Any advice?
>>
>>30542571
I'm the wannabe muhreen. I haven't smoked that many times or in years, I quit the party scene, I don't even drink anymore. However, in regards to talking to people across the pond, there is a girl from India that I talk to on a somewhat regular basis via kik. We met on chat app and we just talk about our lives, what we're doing that day, opinions on things. Just small talk. Could this be an issue?
>>
>>30542880
Is there any reference to the girl you talk to on kik in anything on your real life? Like, if you didn't mention it as a foreign contact, is there any way they would find out? I personally would check 'no' to having any foreign contacts but that ultimately is up to you if you want to explain the girl you met online to a federal agent.
>>
Every Nuke I've ever met, both recruiters and enlistedfags, says they do/did enjoy their job and their time in the Navy.
Where does all the Nuke hate come from?
>>
Who else is going to Puerto Rico MEPS in a few hours?
>>
>>30543035
literally no one
>>
File: image.jpg (232 KB, 1280x895) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
232 KB, 1280x895
>>30542935
(The muhreen wannabe here)
There isn't. I just wanna make sure I don't accidentally commit fraud or something when I fill out paperwork or go to meps or something. I want to go infantry, but the recruiter recommend I keep my options open. I have no idea what I should go into.

I probably sound like a total scumbag, but I really only want to join for a few reasons.
>dead end job.
>nothing better to do.
>come from a family of degenerates so I want to break the mold and better myself.
>want the "prestige" of saying I earned the title Marine.
>>
>>30543173
Not to mention prove all the people wrong who said I couldn't do it.
>>
>>30543173
nothing wrong with that dude. If you're a 'jock' type dude you'll fit in pretty well with most of the marines I've ever met.
>even intel marines
>especially firedogs
There were a few that sat around all day playing D&D
>>
>>30543173
Also, all the references and shit I talked about are for the SF-86 and getting a TS/SCI clearance. For infantry, I cant imagine they'd go much more than secret so I don't think they'll go that in depth. I know a lot of military guys from different branches who have pretty fucked up pasts who got in and got a clearance
>>
>>30537195
Would I have to have Canadian Citizenship to enlist in the Maple Forces, or would gaining citizenship have to come first?
>>
>>30543875
No, it's the same as the US, you just have to have a permanent residency
>>
Want to join army as a medic and get attached to an infantry battalion (most likely rapid deployment). Can I do that right off the bat as a medic? I assume I go to infantry school but is that a separate thing or do I get it automatically when I request deployment to wherever after medic school?

Guy I know went in as Infantry and then became a Medic when he reenlisted but I'd rather be a medic and then flunk out of spec ops if I decide to reenlist.
>>
>>30543927
Thank ya
>>
>>30537195
I'm 27, smoker, only have a GED, and with terrible cardio health.

What are my odds of being enlisted if I manage to train up to run a mile in 6 minutes? I'm not a shrimp and can handle some weight, just need the cardio efficiency to handle it over distance. Have rifle and pistol experience (NOT A NUGGET). Keep-it-running tech and machinery skills. Generally intelligent.
>>
>>30544052
>not a nugget
>generally intelligent
One precludes the other anon.
>>
>>30544091
I own a '43 Ivhesk 91/30 re-fit which has been taken to the range three times, 5 boxes total. My first and favorite rifle is something I saved up to have, a true blue (semi-auto) FN-FAL.

Say whatever you want.
>>
/a/ here, just read these:

http://www.apd.army.mil/ProductMaps/TRADOC/FM.aspx

Like 90% are missing and all the links are dead, but use google-fu to compensate.
>>
>>30542975
You gettin' rused, bruh. If they're still in, they obviously like it. Most of us do our 6 & gtfo.
>>
>>30543173
>joining because you want to better yourself
>a bad thing
>>
>>30541282
Army
152H
>>
>>30542975
Bro what do you think they are going to say? When random civilians ask veterans what they thought about their service they all say it was good. You cant say to some random old person "It fucking sucked i hated every minute of it"
You basically just play the part in public so you dont rustle any jimmies.
>>
>>30542764
Ah, okay. Not that bad then.
>>
>>30543173
If you actually want to be good at infantry, go with the Coast Guard.
>>
File: lnkLVNf.jpg (663 KB, 3564x2227) Image search: [Google]
lnkLVNf.jpg
663 KB, 3564x2227
I posted this yesterday but the thread died.

I got my waiver to go to Army OCS denied. I was in Navy ROTC in college and decided I didn't want to join the Navy, so I voluntarily DOR'ed. Unfortunately, army regulation 350-51 says it's a disqualifier if you have previously not completed a commissioning course.

I'm pretty bummed because I had no idea when I signed up for Navy ROTC it basically meant I'd be limiting my future choices.

Anyway, I looked over that Army reg and it seems to only apply to OCS. I then took a look at Army Reg 601-100, which is for Warrant Officers, and it has no mention whatsoever about previous commissioning courses.

I shot this over to my recruiter and let him know if there's a chance at WOFT, I'd be extremely interested in pursuing it. HE said he would definitely look into it, but he wasn't sure what the answer would be. He said since both commissioned guys and warrant guys are still OFFICERS, I might still be out of luck.

I wanted to see if you guys had any insight. Am I totally screwed? Or is there a chance I can still do the WOFT program?

Background on me

>28
>300 APFT
>College Degree
>No record
>>
>>30546442
W2 here who told you to go warrant. Why don't you get on the HRC site or talk to your states warrant officer strength manager?
>>
>>30546464

Thanks. What exactly should I be looking for on the HRC site?

I would definitely be willing to look for my state's Warrant Officer Strength manager. Where could I find that info? A quick Google search only yields National Guard positions.
>>
>>30541885
>plenty of time to get clean
No you don't. If you can't hang that shit up to dry now you're not going to be able to put it up for the length of your contract.

>>30543967
You will go to BCT then AIT. You'll get to request where you'd like to go, they'll give you a few options so you might want to research where different infantry types are stationed.

>>30544052
I was a bit like you when I signed up. Work on your cardio, try to cut out smokes you're not going to get any in basic anyway. Forget what you know about shooting, just listen to your Drill Sergeants when they teach you about that stuff and follow their advice.
>>30546442
You ever considered an enlisted gig?
>>
>>30546579
Yeah, only the guard has warrant strength managers but he or she should be able to point you in the right direction at least as to whether dropping out of ROTC will hamper you. The HRC site should have a warrant page with all the requirements for a street to seat application.
>>
>>30546618

>You ever considered an enlisted gig?

I'm definitely considering it, but I'd love to fly. So I want to see if that works out first.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm a little old to enlist at this point. Hell I felt old going out for OCS.
>>
File: 7987531892.png (56 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
7987531892.png
56 KB, 401x372
>>30546648
>Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm a little old to enlist at this point.
I enlisted at 28, know guys in their mid 30's that enlisted.
Mostly just popped my head into this thread to see if there were any stories about going to BCT or bootcamp.

When I went through everybody told me to not stick out.
First day during the shakedown when you get there
>Senior Drill Sergeant for my platoon
>Private Anon, I'll be keeping my eye on you
>mfw
>>
>>30546647

Awesome call, thanks a lot!
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x633
Hey K/omrades, I want enlist in the Navy. How likely is it that I will get into the career of my choice?

I have a friend who enlisted and chose EMT as a career choice but there wasn't any demand at the time. Now he's just doing grunt work.

I want go into the technician side and work engines, welding, etc.

What's can I do to have beat experience possible in the Navy?
>>
File: 1467431821109.png (50 KB, 753x689) Image search: [Google]
1467431821109.png
50 KB, 753x689
>>30546896
>How likely is it that I will get into the career of my choice?
100%. You get your job up front. IF they dont have the job you want then dont enlist.
>chose EMT as a career choice
What? Thats not a job in the navy friend.
>I want go into the technician side and work engines, welding, etc.
There is always a need for engineers so you should be able to get one of those no problem. Look up HT, they are the welders. Or you could try navy diver and do underwater welding.
>What's can I do to have beat experience possible in the Navy?
Choose a good rate. The saying goes "Choose your rate, choose your fate"
Pick a good one and youll love the navy. Pick a shitty one and youll wanna kill yourself everyday.
>>
>>30546683
Shit, did I skip the part where the first 10 minutes of BCT our company First Sergeant personally dropped me to the front leaning rest position?
Cause if that happens and you had a little shred of hope you might not stick out after that, just don't count on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 472x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 472x700
>>30547002
Thanks for the advise!

Can ask what you did in the Navy?

Where are you now that your finished?
>>
>>30547083
>My name
OS2(SW) / Operations specialist senpai
Loved my rate and my overall time in. Will answer some questions if you wanna ask.
Now im in college, the GI bill is such an amazing deal that if you dont use it youre a fuckig idiot. Even if you hate school the gi bill is so good its still worth it.
>>
>>30547114
You ever lose your bennies before?
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 710x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 710x1000
>>30547114
Appreciate the help Sendai.

I want to do Techinical work for job security after Navy. I'm tired of sitting in an office all day. You can't outsource a technician.

I want to do something with my hands for a living and I feel like Navy is the best way to start. So I'll be looking at all the Tech rates.

Can the GI Bill be used to further my Technical education or is just for college?
>>
>>30547252
>You ever lose your bennies before?
What do you mean? Why would I? Like from being arrested or something?
>>30547294
>I want to do something with my hands for a living and I feel like Navy is the best way to start. So I'll be looking at all the Tech rates.
Well the navy has the best hands on rates/technical
>inb4 shitstorm from other branches
Well I can point you in the right direction but i need to know more.
You say hands on and technical but that describes a lot of rates/jobs mate. You gotta gimme more details.
You want to work outside? On engines? On circuits? On helos? On weapons?
>Can the GI Bill be used to further my Technical education or is just for college?
All trade type education uses another Gi Bill.
The one im using and is for University is technically called the post 9/11 gi bill.
The one youd use, which you have to sign up for in boot camp, is called the montgomery Gi Bill.
>>
>>30546896
You sound like you want to be a Machinst's Mate of some kind, or possibly a Gunner's Mate, or the bastard child of both: Machinst's Mate Weapons (literally both a Gunners Mate and a machinst's Mate at the same time and on a submarine).
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 460x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 460x336
>>30547327
Outside/Inside doesn't matter.

Engines and Welding are what I'm interested in the most.

Electronics, Nuke, Submarine are also good options.

Rates that will translate to civilian after the Navy.

Didn't know about the two different GI Bills. Good info to have!
>>
File: 1466369797606.jpg (51 KB, 453x391) Image search: [Google]
1466369797606.jpg
51 KB, 453x391
Canadafag here, have my medical and interview on Monday.
>>
File: 1464998358794.png (852 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
1464998358794.png
852 KB, 800x573
Objectively speaking... Forget ranks and years of service for one moment.

Do COMBAT roles deserve to be paid more?

----------------------------------------------------------------

What jobs do you guys think deserves a raise?
(As in, they deserve a lot of credit, for difficulty, riskiness, even monotony, etc)
>>
>>30547424
Well if you have your heart set on engines then you def want an engineering type rate. You will learn alot but they are very tough ill tell you that. Long hours plus lots os manual labor and being covered in oil.
If you want some basic info on rates follow link
https://www.navycs.com/navy-jobs/
Look at Hull Technician, Electtricains mate, Gas systems turbine, Machinists Mate.
Also id adivse against Subs and Nuke unless thats what you really want.
>>30547439
>Do COMBAT roles deserve to be paid more?
Id say so, but more than that officers need to be paid way less and treated worse.
Not memeing officers make way too much money for the work they do and the living conditions vs enlisted is crazy. The disparity between the 2 is mind boggling.
>>
>>30547439
Your pic is grotesque.

I was infantry, combat veteran. We deserve no more pay than anyone else. It's a choice. A decision we made. I might be a little messed up by it. Don't always have tendency to cuddle teddy bears.

We aren't hitman that get paid by kill count. I have killed. I got paid about tree fitty, same as the rest.
>>
File: See what I mean.png (426 KB, 603x567) Image search: [Google]
See what I mean.png
426 KB, 603x567
>>30547436
Good luck pat, don't be too autistic.
>>
File: 1465791356006.png (34 KB, 264x360) Image search: [Google]
1465791356006.png
34 KB, 264x360
>>30547539
I can't promise anything Woolie, except that I won't give up chicks for Mahvel
>>
>>30547439
>>30547497

>MFW technical jobs get paid more than combat roles, even though they often work in a safe air-conditioned office.

>MFW I have no face.
>>
>>30547493
>hating officers
There's shitbags in all ranks
>>
>>30547633
>There's shitbags in all ranks
No shit but thats not what im even saying. They make too much money and the conditions are to good compared to enlisted. Idc if they are good or not the difference between the 2 is to severe. If youve served then youll know that what im saying is true.
>>
>>30547493
Thanks for the advice and Info.

It's good to hear it from a veteran.

Good luck in college!
>>
>>30547424
Same thing here. I heard that the Navy has one of the best schools in the world for welding from one of my welding instructors and he's a welding company manager, so I believe him based on his experience. Looking it up I found out that the Navy actually has a separate school for welders that the other military branches don't have.
>>
My recruiter wants me to take the EDPT for some cyber jobs in the air force. Anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>>30547731
As i said above the Navy has the best Hands on/Technical jobs in all the military. Navy diver welders make a fortune once they get out and work in the private sector.
>>30547686
Thanks good luck to you too man
>>
>>30547327
>What do you mean? Why would I?
Fuck me running backwards. You must be really highspeed if you don't know about this.
Is warrant officer better than doing OSUT after you've done BCT before?
I really cringe when people say ROTC shouldn't focus around vietnam era training and Officers shouldn't be getting combat leader training. Between the 3 knowing what you know, enlisted/NCO/commissioned/warrant
I'm curious which paths you chose, and if you'd do it again, and which one you'd recommend.
>>
>>30547868
Bro i have no idea what you are talking about. I was talking about my Gi Bill and you asked if i "ever lost my bennies before." did you mean benefits?
As far as officers go I prefer people going in as enlisted than going Warrant or LDO. That way you have that hands on experience and youve been in the trenches doing actual work before. That way enlisted will respect you more than regular officers who have no idea about what they are asking you to do. Thats a Navy Point of view though cause from what i understand Army guys can go straight in as Warrants in some cases but thats not how the navy is. You gotta make E-7 first than go warrant.
>>
>>30547931
Benefits, or a lot of 100's at once, SIR.
It seems more economic to gamble small sums of money than investing. Easy come, easy go. too easy.
>>
>>30547988
Again, I have no idea what youre talking about man so im assuming youre baiting me. You cant gamble or invest your Gi Bill so i dont get what you are trying to say.
>>
>>30548029
Experience is invaluable. I think I know what you mean.
I won't bother you with petty things. Thank you for your service.
>>
>>30548123
Ok thx man best of luck
>>
>>30547680
Bro I lived in the same chu as my enlisted guys did when deployed
>>
>>30548377
>guys did when deployed
But you didnt when back state side right? You also made way more money and did way easier work. Also the navy is different cause officers get staterooms.
>>
>>30547848
>As i said above the Navy has the best Hands on/Technical jobs in all the military. Navy diver welders make a fortune once they get out and work in the private sector.

Yeah true, but is that only saturation divers or divers who are just diving like under boats for repairs? And would it be better to go something like hull technician and then go to CDA for commercial diving training?
>>
>>30548897
>nd would it be better to go something like hull technician and then go to CDA for commercial diving training?
No, get all the training in one swoop. HTs do do some welding but they have lots of other responsibilities on a ship. Loads of general engineering responsibilities. So its better off to just go diver where you can focus on that one thing. The school pipeline for divers is difficult and you will get better advancement and bonuses being a diver vs a HT which is considered a low rung job by itself. Divers are special programs and being a HT is very common and not special at all desu.
https://www.navycs.com/navy-jobs/navy-diver.html
>>
>>30548984
I'm 23, taking swimming classes right now and plan to join as a welder or weld inspector with my associates degree. I am not physically strong enough to complete the diver program in my present shape, but I might be if I do some body building.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'm keeping an open mind about these things and different jobs.
>>
>>30547567
>technical jobs get paid more than combat roles

Like?
>>
35G. Ship out august, any advice on what i should expect?
>>
Why join the military when you could join a police department and fight the real enemy?
>>
>>30551555
Police pros
-get paid a little more

Cons
-less training
-more fat people
-no jumps
-not being able to collect a check for masturbating in the desert for 9 months
-no cool stuff
>>
>>30548426
>way easier work
I don't think so. I was on 14 hour QRF for 1/3rd of the deployment which equated to a lot of hasty missions to parts unknown with only a freq and grid. Our joes stayed inside the wire the entire deployment.
>>
>>30551555
>Have to deal with angry public.

Nah.
>>
File: red-wolves-door-gunner-hr.jpg (1 MB, 4206x2704) Image search: [Google]
red-wolves-door-gunner-hr.jpg
1 MB, 4206x2704
What is the best branch besides air force to become a helicopter door gunner/crew chief?
Also what are the requirements and is it easy to get into?
>>
>>30551640
>my single experience dis proves everyother example
Btw who was on QRF with you? Im assuming it wasnt entirely officers bro. And from a Navy point of view everything im saying is true. Officers on ships live in a comfy stateroom, stand maybe 1 watch a day and do nothing but paperwork for work.
>>
>>30547567
It's almost as if having more advanced technology (and knowing how to use it) and intelligence matter more in modern day war-winning than running around shooting guns. Damn.
>>
>>30551913
So speak for the navy. And I was a 64 pilot, so yes it was entirely officers.
>>
>>30552077
I was, but again its all like that. Youre a pilot how can you compare what you do to enlisted? They fix that aircraft and they have QRFs as well. Quick acting like youre something special.
>>
>>30552155
Everybody's job is important man. My life was in my crew chiefs hands and he was one of the most integral parts of the job.
>>
>>30551660
Most of the public loves you. Dindus are only 10% of the population.
>>
>>30552374
>My life was in my crew chiefs hands and he was one of the most integral parts of the job.
And yet im sure you made more money than him and got more respect as well.
>>
>>30552431
You get paid more if you are worth more.
>>
>>30552521
>You get paid more if you are worth more.
Youve either never served or are completely in denial about yourself and what officers actually do. The average enlisted does far more work than the average officer and makes far less money.
>>
>>30552431
One and not the other.
>>
>>30552521
This is not apachebro btw
>>30552566
>>
>>30552930
I dont mean real respect obviously the crew chief got that, i mean ass kissing stuff gets done for you type. More like forced respect.
>>30552956
irregardless thats still wrong. My CO made the most money on our ship obviously and literally didnt do shit our entire deployment and was having sex with the female officers. And ya he got busted for it too.
>>
>>30552431
If you could understand the investment the army put into me vs a crewchief you would understand the pay gap.
>>
>>30552998
That's how it is for officers at that level in all branches. And it wasnt forced respect because I went out there everyday and took more shots than I was allowed to give.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 500x400
>>30552998
At least they weren't enlisted. That's fraternization!!!
>>
File: 1467586600204.png (168 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1467586600204.png
168 KB, 657x527
>>30553004
>If you could understand the investment the army put into me vs a crewchief you would understand the pay gap.
Again maybe just maybe in your particular case thats true but there are plenty of enlisted jobs that have year long or longer schools to do there jobs and yet they still make shit money.
Explain that please?
>>30553019
Nah i guarantee it was. Youre an outsider to enlisted, not really one of them. I guarantee you that they resented you and were probably even jealous of you behind youre back. Its like someone from a poor neighborhood being friends with someone from a rich one. Never truly equal no matter how much you want it to be.

This is what bothers me the most about officers. The fact that you wont admit how good you have it. The fact that you have it so good i dont really care about or fault you for, its that you pretend that you have it bad. Why cant you just accept you have it pretty damn good?
>>
>>30553081
Actually a GM1 on our ship who stood SWC beside me was fucking our GUNNO in the torp mags all deployment long.
>>
I'm type 1 diabetic. Is there any hope of military involvement for me whatsoever? Even an entirely noncombat role, like medicine?
>>
>>30553101
And maybe you are the fraction of the enlisted that have a 2 year plus specialty. I was the coolest officer my guys had.
>>
>>30553101
Dude I readily admit the disparity in pay between officers and enlisted. I have it much better by that standard. Hands down.
>>
>>30553269
>I was the coolest officer my guys had.
kek im sure you think that but thats like saying im the least smelly piece of shit.

>>30553282
Well that was my whole point so im not really sure what we are arguing about. Are you the apache guy or is it the idiot above?
>>
tips for army basic?
>>
>>30553338
Women do it... pussy boy.
>>
>>30553338
Don't volunteer for shit all the time and stand out, but also don't be the guy who never volunteers for shit and stands out as a shitbag. Volunteer very occasionally for non-glamorous details. Often you get out of sight, which puts you out of mind of drill sergeants.

Don't take punishments and shit too seriously. You will be mass punished. Even if nobody does anything wrong, the drills will just make some shit up to make you all do push-ups.

Similarly, the "ranks" within your training platoon like "platoon leader" don't mean anything and will come and go with the wind. Normally you'll see some JROTC faggot who takes that shit super serious.
>>
>>30553439
This is kinda dumb advice. If you have old Vietnam era hippie-protester era relatives you'll get told to 'never volunteer for anything'

This is waaay dumb advice if you plan on being in the military for more than a day, volunteer for absolutely everything. All the time. Every time. If anyone asks for volunteers and doesn't say what it is, it's either a good detail or it's so trivial and easy you should not get too butt-hurt about doing it. Your sergeants or whoever, knowing you volunteer for everything for unknown tasks and if its actually really shit will be like "no, not you, anon, somebody else that NEVER volunteers' and they'll pick out 3 shitbags instead.

Volunteer for everything, you get to get away from the unit or do cool shit. If you're fucking garbage they'll pick you to do shit details anyways, if you're good, they won't pick you for shit details even if you voulnteer.

It's win-win to just volunteer instantly, all the time, even without prompting.
>>
>>30553771
I said to occasionally volunteer for the non-glamourous jobs, which tend to end being best.

Somebody who volunteers all the time, screaming "me, me, me!" is a suck up and taking themselves to seriously.

Again, this is advice for basic, not for the military in general. Because it's not like you get a "permamant record" coming out of basic listing off what a good volunteer you were. Nobody at a unit gives a fuck about the new Guy's time in basic.
>>
>>30553771
Not for basic you fucking moron
>>
>>30553843
>>30553856
Nah, even basic, especially basic. Drills fucking hate lazy recruits and you don't need to be 'OH GOD PICK ME' just fucking raise your hand after a few seconds when the asshole asks for volunteers and nobody else does. It works in basic like it does in the real army.

Ya'll are the real fucking morons if you never volunteer. You think the guy who's primary job it is to weed out shitty people... doesn't take notice of who volunteers and who doesn't? He can't directly excrete you out, but you think he'll not notice?

Basic is fucking easy, AIT even easier. Shit's a simple mindgame for fuck-ups, an easy filter to see who wants to stay around contribute and who wants to stay comfy.
>>
>>30553771
You're dumb kid. What you do in basic, or in my case MCRD, has nothing to do with when you hit your unit.
>>
>>30554076
Bro you are either lying or crazy. I never volunteered for a single thing and got through Basic with ease just like the other 98% of people.
>>
>>30554129
>>30554130
Guy I've been in the army for 12 years,I'm an E-6 and went through basic twice and AIT three times.

It's not so fucking hard that you need to focus on 'surviving' anyways. The dumbest fucking dredge in society graduate basic training every other month. You volunteer to make your experience better for yourself. That's what makes it advice.

You need help 'surviving' basic you are not material the military needs in the first fucking place.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (16 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
16 KB, 250x188
>>30554238
>>
>>30554238
I don't think anybody should be taking advice from a guy that only made E-6 in 12 years.
>>
>>30554238
Lmao wut?

I was a marine but why would you do basic twice? I guess AIT is like SOI? Why'd you do it 3 times. Like what the actual fuck?

You're the dumbest e6 I've ever met if you think boot camp means shit. You are what my Drill Instructors would of called "certified hot garbage".
>>
>>30554270
Points are 798 in my MOS, all day, everyday, ask me how I maxed out points without sucking not even one dick.

I got out of the Army and came back in so it's only 7 years active duty anyways. I do not care enough about this job or this unit's mission or sucking dick to get promoted if I didn't do actual work to get recognized.

It's not even the issue. You think laziness or independence is some value people respect so that's the incentive to never volunteer for anything?

Fucking massively deluded. I keep 4856's in my cargo pocket and write nasty shit on them with a fucking skil-craft pen for shitbirds during slow parts of the day because it's my job and I joined the military because I hate people. Period.
>>
>>30554238
Goddam war hero right here
>>
>>30553338
So, anyway anon, if you don't want to end up like this fucking spastic-

>>30554238
>>30554403

Then don't take the brainwashing to heart and realize that being fucked with in basic is just part of the game.
>>
>>30537195
Any navy guys wanna tell me the dark secrets of QM?
Steering/Navigating a ship seems fun, very interested in the nautical/seamanship side of the navy, not so much the computer or weapons stuff
>>
>>30554527
So volunteer half the time and expect to be chewed out for everything?
>>
>>30554609
In basic? Yeah, pretty much. Other than that, there isn't much advice to give since you don't have much autonomy anyway.

I'll tell you this though- start a 3 ring binder full of your paperwork now and pick it back up after basic. Keep copies of everything the Army ever gives you in that thing. It will help if you ever have problems down the line. Also, a long time from now when you get out of the Army, remember that any course you were given that is over 40 class hours can go on your exit paperwork, so keep the certificates from every little bullshit hazardous materials or environmental compliance or extra maintenance course and rack that shit up.
>>
>>30537195
if me and a friend were joining the army together at the same time, is there any guanetee we would go to basic together and get deployed or stationed to the same place?
>>
>>30555173
None.
>>
>>30555173
US? If so, look up the "buddy program" this at least allows you to train together and you have a slight chance of being stationed in the same place if you all have the same MOS and choose the same duty stations
>>
File: post_navy_ww2_man-guns.jpg (68 KB, 600x837) Image search: [Google]
post_navy_ww2_man-guns.jpg
68 KB, 600x837
Hey guys, I'm joining the Navy and I'm tossed between 2 rates, UT (utilitiesman) and HM (corpsman) because both have the potential to see combat and they're both hands on, outside jobs. UT is seabees which is guaranteed outside time but if I go HM I don't know what my odds are that I will be able to attach to Marines and be a field medic, I might just get stuck on a ship as a physical therapist or some stupid shit. Any advice?
>>
as a helicopter mechanic in the army youll be part of the flight crew right?
>>
>>30551712
why not air force?
>>
>>30555627
Yes, one of the biggest parts as >>30552374 said
>>
Does the military do polys or is it just the alphabet agencies?
>>
File: fig,navy,mens,ffffff.u2.jpg (39 KB, 556x350) Image search: [Google]
fig,navy,mens,ffffff.u2.jpg
39 KB, 556x350
>>30555725
well i got 15U
>>
>>30546440
I'm confused
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 1536x2048
>>30555816
>AND THERE HE IS
you made a good choice
>>
>>30555746
Only for TS SCI
>>
any australia friends in?
>>
>>30556421
Yea m8 whatsup ya cunt
>>
>>30556554
nothin much just saw that this happened to be SASR edition and was wondering if anyone has any cool stories
>>
yo aussies

what is the chance of transferring jobs once you are already in? eg transferring from rifleman to artilleryman
>>
Best position for reservist ausfag in VICTORIA

cheers in advance lads
>>
>waiting for US to enter a war so I can join their military without waiting 10 years for green card and gain citizenship

probably wont happen for years
>>
>>30554577
Bumperino
>>
>>30556315

I had TS/SCI, never poly'd.
>>
>>30554577
>>30557548
QM is a small rate that has very limited work and limited advancement. Go OS/Operations Specialist. Thats what i was, we do everything QMs do and way way more. The rate is better all around and the only reason QM is still even around is cause its an original rate and they wont get rid of it for histories sake.
>>30555597
Go HM without a doubt. SeaBee is a dying/dead rate. Seriously it is, horrible advancement and a shit job that isnt even really used anymore. HM has lots of oppurtunitites and is extremely flexible. You can volunteer to be with marines or spec ops type units at A school from what i hear but its hard as hell and you gotta be hot shit obviously.
>>
>>30558198
Damn, didn't think QM would be irrelevant. I was just interested in the traditions and seamanship, would the coast guard be better for that?
>>
>>30558530
Listen to me the Navy has all that still. You should look into OS im serious. In my opinion its top 3 rates on a ship and im not just saying that cause i was one. I was on 2 cruisers and if i could do it all over id still choose OS everytime.
https://www.navycs.com/navy-jobs/operations-specialist.html
>>
>>30558689
Interesting, what would you say are the other top rates? I'm the anon who wanted to go UT or HM but I have some other options, most of them are mechanic/engineering because colorblindness, however I also have CTR available. I just want to be outside and travel, I fucking hate desk work.
>>
>>30556106
Marines are awful at everything they do. The Coast Guard actually boards ships on a regular basis.
>>
File: does-he-look-like-a-traitor[1].jpg (25 KB, 494x337) Image search: [Google]
does-he-look-like-a-traitor[1].jpg
25 KB, 494x337
>>30557297
Get a load of this traitor.
>>
>>30551595
>Implying police make more than military

Kek. I was making more than most police in the US as a 23 year old E-5, and with way better benefits.
>>
Hey guys I'm currently a poolee and I had my first IST today, everything went fine and I'm very proficient on everything EXCEPT for the 1 1/2 mile run. I seriously got fucking 15 minutes. I can only run for short bursts until I can't go then I have to walk for 20 or so seconds then run again. Do you guys have any tips for increasing my endurance and then lowering my run time too? I still have 7 months left before I ship
>>
>>30559597
The police in my area bring home $39,449-$55,895 according to google and E5 is like $1200 a check if you're in garrison without jump pay so I kinda doubt that
>>
>>30559644
I have the same issue my man, look up couch to 5k and in general work on weight loss, it will increase your cardiovascular strength, lower fatigue, and help your knees and ankles handle weight and impact. I kept it pretty damn simple, I still eat a lot of what I want, I just eat far lower portions and cut out sugar out of everything. Drink a gallon of water a day and I try to run 4 miles a day, even if it takes an hour (it usually takes about 45 minutes or so). I've gotten much better since November.
>>
>>30554577
Submariner here.

You can navigate and drive a submarine by being a Electronics Technician (Navigation). You get this rate by enlisting as Submarines Electronics Computer Field (SECF) and putting Navy ET down every time someone asks what rate you want to end up as and telling all your instructors you want to be a Navy ET and also praying.

It's probably the closest you can come to actually doing traditional QM shit as is possible in the navy. Downside: aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh submarines.
>>
>>30559711
Actually I remember they were fucking around with the submarine nav/radio/electronics rates so this may not be 100% accurate anymore.
>>
>>30559645

Rough monthly: 2600 base pay + 300 skill pay + 1400 BAH + 360 BAS. Last two are untaxed so they're a little more valuable.

Not every E5 gets BAH/BAS, but even if you don't then you get food/housing which has some value.

And, again, way better bennies.
>>
>>30559251
nice facebook tier meme dude!
>>
>>30559749
This, except I was clearing 2k/mo in BAH because I was in a more expensive city.

LES said a little short of 70k/yr, but of course I lived a lot better due to tax breaks. Not bad at 23.
>>
>>30559709
Thanks a ton man, I'm trying to work on it slowly but surely, I have plenty of time to get ready but ofc I'm not gonna sit on my ass as opposed to getting it done now

I'll take your advice
>>
File: falloutvaultboythumbsup.jpg (118 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
falloutvaultboythumbsup.jpg
118 KB, 600x450
>>30559825
No worries, I don't know how old you are but depending on how young/limber you are you might be shocked how much weight you lose. I'm 20 and joining the Navy soon, I weighed 210 in November and after simple running exercises every day and light dieting, coupled with no snacks, only black coffee, and a gallon of water a day, I'm down to 174.

I should mention I'm a lazy bastard to, I had no epic rocky Balboa montage, I just sort of did it. It will go quick, just stick to it the best you can.
>>
>>30559963
18. I've generally been in pretty good shape for all of my life but in my high school years I drank a metric fuckton of soda and I only did strength training. It's coming back on me now because my endurance is shit but I'm really motivated to change it
>>
>>30559117
Well HM and going FMF or spec ops attachment is still a great choice but CTR is definitely a top 5 rate. It requires a TS clearance and has lots of intel opportunities.
Plus civilian options once youre out. I am not a fan of engineering rates but thtas just me. If you want to work with your hands, be covered in oil and basically do a thankless job go GSE/GSM. Those are prob the best 2. Believe me if you are on a ship you will definitely travel. If you want to work with your hands bit be outside id say go BM but that has a whole host of other problems with it so i wouldnt recommend.
>>30559749
>>30559777
Can confirm and agree. BAH in San Diego was through the roof and if you got roommates you can easily save most of it.
>>
>>30537195
My college Army ROTC has a plan where you do ROTC and join the State's National Guard at the same time, what is the best major to get for someone who wants to be a infantry or armor officer?
>>
>>30561165
There is no "best major" for those MOSs because all they require is a bachelors of no specific type, so pick the course you're most interested in.
>>
Will being on anti-depressants affect my ability to get into the Army? Will if affect my ability to go infantry? Will it affect my ability to go to the advanced combat schools (airborne, rangers, sniper, etc.)?

If I'm going to join the Army, I wanna be able to do the fun shit, like jump out of planes, kick in doors, and carry 90 lb. rucks for miles.
>>
>>30561634
Either prepare yourself to lie for your entire career or pack up the dream. Mental illness of any kind fucks you over very hard and very fast.
>>
>>30561634
To go off of what >>30561786 said, don't quit those mo-fo's cold turkey. You will be in a world of shit. Wean off of them if possible, and just pretend you never took them.
>>
File: JonathanSadleir.jpg (131 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
JonathanSadleir.jpg
131 KB, 1000x667
>>30539680

Prepare to be disappointed dude.

You should've joined the Royal Australian Navy. They actually have ships that are sea worthy.

A pretty big chunk of their officer corp is disillusioned Canadians.
>>
>>30539478
Sup. Air Force depper here
>>
>>30541772
Yes. You will piss in a cup at MEPS and if positive you are DQd for a while, friendo
>>
>>30561948
This image makes me think of Halo 2. A lot.
>>
Will serving make a normalfag out of me?
>>
>>30564545
No.

>Serving

You'll just be a lame ass pog. whatever.
>>
Id like to be enlisting in the military. I have a meps appointment for July 22nd, however im also talking to an army recruiter who supposedly "locked" me in to 68K(lab technician). I have a BA degree in criminal justice from san francisco state and im also married. I cant go ocs because my wife is a foreigner. Should i go 68K ? My primary motivation for that is 4000/mo bah and the ait for this job is 52 weeks. Or should i try for something else? Im interested in science but it isnt my strongest subject, although if i were to take it i think i would succeed. Anyone know more about this particular job?
>>
>>30564952
>married

Don't enlist unless you want to get cucked
>>
>>30564587

i like how infantry have to have their boys club mentality in order to keep their minds off being unemployable back in the civilian world.
>>
anyone here prior Fleet Activities Yokosuka?
>>
>>30565034
>anyone here prior Fleet Activities Yokosuka?
What? I was there doing a hull swap for 3 months if that counts.
>>
>>30564545
The general consensus I've seen here is that while the military can make you more apathetic about things (thus having or at least showing less anxiety), it can't overhaul your entire personality. You'd still need therapy to try and do that... which would ironically make you very DQ-able to the military if you tried.

>>30564952
You're not "locked" into anything until you get on the bus to basic. It's your career, tell your recruiter to get you the job you want or he can go fuck himself.
>>
Is it true that if you have any medical waivers you can't get any options with your contract trying to go Airborne
>>
>>30564545
It can help depending on what your current issue is.

Before I enlisted I lived in rural Wyoming and had 0 self-confidence. I had no friends. Enlisting gave me the ability to make friends, first by being forced to, then later by choice. So now I hang-out, go places, drink, and aprty with friends a lot.

But then that's me. One guy I work with is still some manchild who is constantly late to work, brags about not having/needing friends, never showers, and does nothing but watch anime/play fighting games and eat dominos pizza when not at work.
>>
>tfw will never work for 309th AMARG

just
>>
>>30565138

sounds like the life tbqhwyfam
>>
>>30537195
>joining the military during peacetime
Are you guys thick in the head? Sorry you missed Iraq and Afghanistan but what you're doing is just dumb.
>>
>>30566139
>being a stupid kid and posting on 4chan
You realize the military has great benefits to offer whether its war or peace time
>>
>>30566139

are you 12? do you know what % of the military sees any actual combat during ANY time?
>>
>>30538625
Absolutely never mention it, and if anyone ever asks "Hey do you smell that?" just act like you can't tell what the smell is
i.e. a fire or some shit
>>
>>30538625
I thought it said 'watch my ass'.

There's no smell test in MEPS

But yeah, watch your ass and wash it, too.
>>
Just a reminder this is what will happen to all of you fucks who leave with a women at home.
https://youtu.be/WDOC0Lm9xTE
>>
>>30565138
Whom did you put as references if you had no friends?
>>
File: Alas, poor me.jpg (599 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Alas, poor me.jpg
599 KB, 1280x960
>mfw heading to fort sill on monday for basic
Is anyone else heading there then?
>>
I have small man's syndrome and tiny penis. Should I become a Marine?
>>
>>30568084
yes
>>
>>30539899
Give em one
>>
>>30568084

No you should be in law enforcement. Have you ever considered a career in the ATF? How do you feel about dogs?
>>
>>30559645
Dude, $1200 is like E1 pay.
>>
>>30568424
E1 is more like 1500
>>
File: 2016 pay.png (44 KB, 1038x630) Image search: [Google]
2016 pay.png
44 KB, 1038x630
>>30568424
not even
>>
What would happen if I wanted to fly fast movers
>>
>>30568985
nothing
>>
I forgot to mention a minor nontraffic offense on my enlistment papers because it was so long ago, it was a 30 dollar fine for drawing dicks on a park, I was 12 or 13
I was waivered in for two misdemeanors that were in an unrelated case, if that will have any bearing
I ship in three days, how fucked am I?
>>
>>30541567
Infantry usually doesn't require a security clearance beyond Confidential, which every swinging dick and their mother has
In the Army at least, but all the guys I know that work with Strykers have a Secret clearance

>>30542571
What happens if there's a fuck up on your SF-86 that you don't disclose, simply because it happened years ago, and they find out?
>>
>>30569248
Depends on what it was and if it'll be found.

After an investigation is over, you're no longer being investigated.

Also, infantry at least requires confidential, but generally get put in for a secret clearance as well.
>>
>>30569391
What about >>30569229
Ever dealt with something similar?
>>
>>30569229
>>30569473
Check the SF-86

I think there's something about minor offenses in the last 7 years or the last 7 years after 18 yrs old, I can't remember.
>>
>>30569657
My recruiters told me I should be good, but I'm still nervous because I just remembered this. I mean, it was a juvenile minor nontraffic and I'm fairly certain it was over 7 years ago, so I should be good
>>
>>30569767
update, everything I can find says it should go back to my 16th birthday
I'm in the clear then
>>
>>30546683
>Tfw got a road guard vest almost immediately
>Put it on inside out
>>
How does the Montgomery bill really work? I have to let the Army keep 1200 of my money dollars? Is that it, or is there some other fuckery I'm not getting?
>>
anyone here a rifleman in the adf? completed my you session and joining soon. whats a normal day consist of?
>>
>>30570274
You don't have to use MGIB if you don't want to, but you have to pay in if you want the option.

If you pay in and end up using the other GI Bill instead, you can get your $1200 refunded, but it can be a hassle.
>>
File: 1215SYE56336.jpg (125 KB, 1255x590) Image search: [Google]
1215SYE56336.jpg
125 KB, 1255x590
Why the fuck doesn't everybody do the military? I hear it's only like <1% of the population. I'm going to college next month after 5+ years Navy and I get fucking 1320 a Month for free "do whatever the fuck I want" money. What a good fucking deal, and you escape being a liberal debt-slave faggot for the rest of your life. I'd like to thank the cunt MCs for never taking any photos of OPS division so other than a couple phone pics I have nothing to show my time on my Amphib...
>>
>>30570607
same bro. 40k ish a year where I live for staying fit and playing guns.
>>
>>30570650
good shit soul brother. compared to working fucking 16-18 hour mid shifts every day underway I think college is gonna be a breeze. Every kid at orientation was some 18 year old know nothing scrub who couldn't even shave yet. I'm looking forward to the hot co-eds
>>
This probably isn't the right thread to ask but if I shit post on this site can I still get a job at the FBI? I know their background checks are extensive. They found out everything about my dad including his home town in a remote country.
>>
The problem is that everyone compares military compensation to white collar professional wages in big cities when most military folks are in more rural areas and/or doing blue collar work. Not everyone wants to do college and then pull six figures living in a city apartment.

40k - 70k stable salary, bennies, and retirement at age 40 is fucking god-tier in bumfuck Georgia. That's a 4+ bedroom home with a nice chunk of land.
>>
>>30570782
I'm the biggest fucking pervert ever and I still got a TS//SCI clearance for my IS rate. Despite what conspiracy theorists say, there's a lot of things the government can't do legally. Like getting your internet history and shit without a warrant. The men in black came to my 1st grade teacher to ask her about any "emotional" issues I might have had, but other than general background knowledge you don't have to worry about this site.
>>
>>30571020
>"emotional" issues
Fuck, I am bipolar. Am I fucked? They'll definitely be able to find my medical records.
>>
>>30571082
meh, maybe. you definitely can't have a freak out in bootcamp if you wanna graduate. And military life would probably be hard as shit because if you had an episode against an officer you'd get you shit pushed in badly.
>>
>>30571281
Well I know for a fact that any sort of mental illness is an automatic DQ in the military, that's why I am considering the FBI.

>if you had an episode against an officer
I am not violent I get extremely depressed and suicidal (Bipolar II).
>>
>>30570607
>Why the fuck doesn't everybody do the military?
Because the Fed. Gov. doesn't have unlimited need or money.

>>30571345
There's always working for the military as a civilian by applying for jobs on the DoD website. That's probably what I'll try to do since I've already been PDQ'd.

Also, you don't seem to know the Bipolar I and II difference. I is extreme fluctuation (euphoria + severe depression) and II is the same fluctuations only much less extreme.
>>
>>30571437
You're the only one with the misunderstanding here. People with Bipolar I have extreme manic episodes and shallow depressive episodes (relative to people with Bipolar II). People with Bipolar II have shallow manic episodes (hypomania) and severe depressive disorders. Most people with Bipolar II are mistakenly diagnosed with MDD. Do your research m8.
>>
What kind of jobs are not open to non citizens but permanent residents of the United States?
>>
>>30571538
Yeah, you're right. After looking around, I think I was confusing Bipolar II with Cyclothymia.
>>
If I went to a doctor once for depression, was prescribed antis and took them for no more than 3 months, am I fucked? I wanna be an officer after college
>>
File: lsekvlspnj9rcrixeata.jpg (269 KB, 800x447) Image search: [Google]
lsekvlspnj9rcrixeata.jpg
269 KB, 800x447
>>30568405
I don't like dogs.
>>
Is there any regulation against OCing your sidearm in your dress uniform?
>>
>>30572424
I don't know about code, but personally I'd be against it. Part of being a professional, respectable military is not looking eager to spill blood. Having, or at least pretending to have, emotional restraint when not in life or death situations.

But that's just my opinion/idealism.
>>
>>30571673
this nigga
"I'm just the postman!"
>>
>>30541866
I am about to graduate college and I am interested in intel officer for the USAF.

Any advice for it? Is it worth doing? Is it helpful in order to move on to three letter agencies?
>>
>>30568405
Nah, the idea that I am increasing profits for cartels is a reason I'd never go into law enforcement. for the ATF or DEA. Maybe the FBI or Coast Guard, but that's way above my head. I have the belief that the system is creating and supporting criminals rather than economically dwarfing them and out competing them in a free market. I also believe that politicians have created this environment for personal profit rather than addressing morale issues.
>>
How important is eyesight? My long distance sight is fucked, but I usually manage to get through those tests you do at the doctor's office
>>
>>30573388
>How important is eyesight?
Yes you need to be able to see
>>
>>30567720
monday tomorrow or next week? if next week, wassup
>>
I have a handful of documented medical stuff.
Mostly ADHD, asthma (Doesn't affect my ability to run, just leaves me breathing heavily), and meds that i took when i was 9.

Should I lie about all of that and only tell them about my eyesight?
>>
>>30573388
Doesn't matter for the vast majority of stuff as long as your glasses can correct you to 20/20.
>>
I'm thinking about going out for National Guard Special Forces selection.

My reasoning is basically is I want to get in and serve, but I own a home and a great job here in my state. I'd like to stay in the area, even if I'm deploying a lot.

Two questions. One, if I fail at selection, I am re classed as an 11b, correct? That's what my recruiter said.

Second, to make sure I don't fail selection, I currently can reliably hit a 300 APFT. Push ups and sit ups are easy, and my run time is 12:30 2-mile. I don't feel like an elite athlete or anything. What else should I be doing to make sure I'm physically ready?
>>
>>30574225
I would think overall/real world strength would be great plus flexibility/stretching for injury prevention. Maybe look into a beginner Powerlifting program like SL or SS. It focuses on compound movements which translates into real world applications.
>>
File: oh god.jpg (52 KB, 421x601) Image search: [Google]
oh god.jpg
52 KB, 421x601
>>30574129
Monday tomorrow, unfortunately
>>
File: nazi diversity2.jpg (213 KB, 800x554) Image search: [Google]
nazi diversity2.jpg
213 KB, 800x554
Which military MOSs would be tasked with rounding up civilian populations that get out of control?

What MOSs skills would be most applicable to containing an internal threat?
>>
>>30559731
It's basically accurate. You still fill out a dream sheet in BESS with Nav/Radio/FT/STS on it and you pray to your gods that you don't get STS.

I just found out I'd be ETV a few weeks ago.
>>
>>30574225

NG SF does not compute with having a great civvy job you love. They're some of the most active Guard elements.
>>
>>30575193

That shouldn't be too much of an issue. Can you elaborate? What do the guys who are in the NG SF do for a living?
>>
>>30574225
First thing is not to listen to this individual >>30574311

>>30575424
Not him, but reservist SF work is a strange beast. Most of the guys I knew involved (UK and US) were either self employed or former regular SF/Infantry looking for a bit of fun on the weekends. There were one or two outliers, but by and large they were men that could commit as much time as necessary.

It might be part time but it's full time. Sounds corny, doesn't it?

My advice might be a bit out of date, but the best thing you can do to prepare is start mountaineering, orienteering and navigating. Gain real world experience in navigation. Get in the hills and mountains. This won't necessarily make you better than the next candidate, but it'll give you a bit of experience and maybe a slight head start.

Train your memory. Can you look at a map in the dark for 30 seconds then remember the fundamentals of it a few hours later? I'm not saying that you will be doing exactly that, but it's that sort of deal.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.