[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should you look for when buying a M1903 Springfield?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg (210 KB, 1728x556) Image search: [Google]
M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg
210 KB, 1728x556
What should you look for when buying a
M1903 Springfield?
>>
High number receivers. Despite what the guys here tell you low numbers are dangerous and that's not just fuddlore
>>
>>28309826
Are WW1 era ones unsafe?
>>
>>28309829
I copied this from the CMP page on the M1903

M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP
>>
Generally get a high number. But it its a low number make sure it has a hatcher hole.
>>
>>28309858
>>28309856
Thanks guys. Will have to look into this a bit
>>
>>28309856
My first rifle is a Rock Island and it doesn't have a hatcher hole. I have fired it before with no issues but should I get one added just in case?
>>
>>28309919
What's the serial number?
>>
On a more minor note, mainly because its quite prevalent in my area,

theres an awful lot of refurbed 1903's (mostly rock island from what I've seen) with new cmp stocks- if you find one and consider it, make sure that the stock has been properly recessed behind the tang (as in a space between the wood and the very back part of the receiver) unless you want your stock to crack in three shots
>>
>>28309964
Don't remember, it was made in 1917 if that helps. I will get the serial in a bit
>>
Would I have any problems with shooting regular fudd shit out of mine?

I was reading something about garands having problems with modern .30-06, but I didn't know if that applies to these as well
>>
>>28310384
I bought a bunch of Remshit 180gr deer ammo and some American Eagle 150gr when I was making brass for reloading.

As long as you have a high number receiver, you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a 6 groove barrel (6 grooves of rifling) and that thing will be very accurate.
>>
>>28310410
6 groove being more accurate is just fuddlore
>>
>>28310510
Good, just counted and I only have 4
>>
>>28309826
ohboyherewego.jpg
>>
>>28310809
Go ahead and post all those Ordance Department documents on how safe low numbers are and how they were stupid to pull them from service during WW1
>>
>>28309964
>>28309919
>>28309856
The rifles serial is 2538XX, like I said I have shot it plenty of times with no issues. Mostly M2 Ball but some of my friends hot 168G match handloads, but I feel like if I added a hatcher hole it would give me some more piece of mind.
>>
>>28310867
Don't add a hatcher hole. You'll ruin the value.
>>
>>28310903
I already have to change the stock and the trigger guard (long story short it might be a Bannermen gun). But yeah i will agree with you on the value in terms of the Hatcher hole
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.