[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Hillary Military Budget.jpg (383 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Hillary Military Budget.jpg
383 KB, 1280x853
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
>>
Whiskeys interested in regiment REPORT. How ya'll doing? Is your PT good? Any outside experience? Jiu jitsu?
>>
Chair Force cyber Airman reporting in, ask me anything about the AF or Top Secret.
>>
>>30223263
my mom and sisters ( i guess aunts) dont speak with each other. could that hurt my chances? what if they talk to them and shittalk me?
how long will it take?
theyre spics too
we're all spics
>>
>>30223263
How long is the entire process?

What are the weirdest questions you've heard from your friends and families that were asked to them?
>>
>>30223347
Oh and did you take any steps to prepare?

(Like delete social media, inform participants, etc)
>>
For any prospective marines, I've been in the DEP since December. If anyone wants an updated point of view on what the enlistment process has been like, ask me anything.
>>
File: 1460948273917.jpg (286 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1460948273917.jpg
286 KB, 1280x853
>>30222984
Flat feet
unofficially diagnosed with ADHD (am prescribed treatment)
How can i become a scout sniper?

What will be the hardest thing about becoming a scout sniper and how do i train for it?

If Trump doesn't win then i'll aliyah and join the IDF.
>>
>>30223331
I should have prefaced my original comment with a request for your job. What job are you?

Probably won't, just be honest and explain your relationship with your family. They most likely won't speak to your extended family.

>>30223347
Can take anywhere from 3 months to over a year. They asked my friends and family who I hung out with, what I liked to do, if I was loyal to the US, and really focused on any foreign contacts I might have.

I told my friends beforehand so they weren't surprised by an agent calling them.
>>
>>30223488
it's for a nupoc position in the navy
>>
>>30223419
Not sure if you can be a scout sniper, fampai.
I don't think flat feet dq you from service, they just make you get shoes with a lot of support, I have low arches.
As for the ADHD, there's something to do with the medication, I don't think they want you on it. Talk to a recruiter.
>>
>>30223504
Ok 95% sure you won't need a poly. Their goal isn't to bust you for petty crimes from years past, it's to make sure you're trustworthy.

You'll be placed in positions where severe damage could result if you were compromised.
>>
>>30223612
what about information warfare officer?
i might get accepted for that this week
>>
File: 1465521185791s.jpg (3 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
1465521185791s.jpg
3 KB, 125x120
No.30222984:
everybody who inlists is a faggot hahaha. go to college you dumshits.
>>
>>30223637
Sorry, I don't know a ton about Navy rates, I only knew about the nuke one since my friend was a nuke pipeliner.

In the AF it depends on the unit you are assigned to, I know guys assigned to an intel support unit get tons of extra investigations and a poly.
>>
I have bad eyes, would it be possible for me to still apply for SFAS after serving 1-3 years in a regular infantry unit?
>>
>>30223974
Quantify your bad eyesight mate, we need those numbers. I recommend you go on the sorb recruiting website or on professional soldiers for the specifications of the eyesight standard. What MOS in group are you most interested in?
>>
>>30223974
read the fucking regs, shit is all online

you gotta not be colorblind, other than that if your eyes are good enough for the army then you are good to go.

also, fuck you, you will never be SF. you do nothing for yourself piece of shit, lazy anime masturbating, dreaming about being an operator fuck.

worry more about your tiny dick and fucking inability to accomplish anything with your life, not your fucking shitty eyes from spending all your life on a computer.

fuck you so much.
>>
>>30224005
It's within the correctional range for surgery, so it's not terrible. I want to say I'm around 20/70 vision. I'm considering signing up for ROTC at my college, so I guess I would be a platoon leader once I was active duty?
>>
File: medals.png (7 KB, 366x328) Image search: [Google]
medals.png
7 KB, 366x328
hey dudes

i found my grandfathers medals from Vietnam and theres 3 that i cant identify

he was in the Army and heres an MS paint of them
>>
>>30224021
>Projecting this hard
Wew lad
>>
>>30223263
I'm in my late 20's thinking about enlisting and have some questions about clearances.

When I was younger I basically lied to my whole family about being in college, I dropped out and didn't tell them. I don't speak to them often and they think I graduated. I'm obviously fine with admitting to the USAF that I lied to my family about college but will they inform them that I lied if they end up contacting my parents? It's not the end of the world if that happens but I would like to prepare myself for that.

I also don't really have any friends outside of work and haven't kept in touch with anyone I've know for more than 2 years. Is this problematic?

Lastly, I spent ~1 year unemployed prior to my current job and I've been homeless going on 3 years now, even though I've been employed for most of that period. My family and friends don't know about my living situation, will any of this be problematic?

Other than those issues I've never done drugs and have no criminal record, not even traffic tickets, and I have great credit with zero loans or debt.
>>
>>30224025
Assuming you go Infantry, yes. Just understand that should you get into group and lead an ODA as a 18A you will be rotated out of service and back into the conventional army. If you want to "do work" in group GO ENLISTED. Also, for the love of god please absorb as much information as you can prior to you making a decision.
>>
>>30224070
Go USAF RF trans, great career and if you fail the TS you just get assigned to a non-sensitive position.
>>
>>30224109
Thanks. That careerfield looks pretty interesting. I will do more research on it.

I actually work in aerospace right now and some of that might actually be transferable to my job later on. Are you in this career? If so, care to share what you like/dislike about it?

I should also specify that I'm looking to go ANG, I'm still curious how my being homeless will impact the clearance process.
>>
>>30224166
Being homeless would impact it.. financial stability is one of the big things they look at

I went to tech school alongside them, and it would have definitely been my #2 choice. A lot of work they do nowadays is with SATCOM, but they also work with ground control stations. Basically anything with an antenna (that's not on an aircraft) is handled by RF.

At the very least, you can get a job working on cellular sites when you get out. Also is nice that their school doesn't have crazy high washout/washback rates.
>>
>>30224222
Thanks again for the info. That honestly sounds pretty nice. My current company does a lot of RF work so I imagine it would serve me well.

My situation is kind of weird regarding me being homeless. As I said, I have a really good credit score, ~790, no loans or revolving credit card debt and around $37k in savings. I'm hoping that might alleviate some of the issues from being homeless.
>>
File: DEFkON ESCALATES.gif (3 MB, 300x156) Image search: [Google]
DEFkON ESCALATES.gif
3 MB, 300x156
>>30223263
>Top Secret Question
I was diagnosed with severe depression, was put on meds for less than 2 months, then I stopped when I was informed that I was supposed to be medicated for up to 2 to 5 years.

It has become apparent that the diagnoses was in error, and I have documentation from my physician backing this up.

What I need to know is is this something that I can avoid bringing up, and if not how can I go about it in the "correct" way to increase my chances of passing.

Intended AFSC is 1N1. I also have a good list of references that are current and former Officers and senior NCOs.

Thread Reminder To Never:
>Enlist as Military Police
>Enlist as Security Forces
>Enlist as Navy Master at Arms
>>
What are my chances or reenlistment with a #3 reentry code?
>>
>>30224071
18A's do NOT go to the regular army, yes you might eventually go to a staff position or desk job in group but you're still in group. SF is the only unit in the army that does this.
>>
>>30224368
If what you're saying is in fact true, then I stand corrected. My knowledge on the subject only comes from ranger regiments example of rotating officers in and out. Good thing I'm a hopeful on the enlisted side too.
>>
>>30224410
I realize my attention to detail failed to catch those grammatical errors. I'm going to go beat my face now.
>>
>>30223417
DEP since October. Still waiting to ship August 22.
>>
File: 1438023243530.png (209 KB, 604x613) Image search: [Google]
1438023243530.png
209 KB, 604x613
i ship soon

how do i deal with internet withdrawal syndrome?
>>
>>30224605
Get notecards and draw imageboard posts.
>>
>>30224051
As if that isn't how he would be treated after enlisting.
>>
>>30224605
Mastebate in the latrine like everyone else.

In the field if on FTX.
>>
24 yr old mechanical engineer here, thinking about enlisting.

Not sure if it's the best path, but I may want to do ROTC to get a biology degree, then apply for HSPS to attend medical school. Thinking Air Force since I'd rather not leave the US.

My understanding is that would mean an 8 year service commitment. Assuming I start when I'm 26, I should get my second bachelors around 30, finish med school at 34, finish residency around 38 or so, then serve active duty until 46.

Does time spent in residency count toward service commitment? Likely not for the HSPS, but maybe for ROTC? Does this sound worth it? What pension benefits would I receive if I retire after my 8 year service commitment, if any?

Goal isn't to be a doctor to make $$$, goal is to learn medicine to help people without going into debt. After I leave the military, I would plan on offering my services pro-bono to the community in my rural hometown.
>>
>>30224964
If you have a degree go be an officer. Mechanical engineer means you can be developmental engineer in the air force.

Or you could go through college again for a different degree and do ROTC. If you were just going based on your current degree you'd have to do OCS.
>>
File: 1966 Shelby GT.jpg (249 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
1966 Shelby GT.jpg
249 KB, 1200x650
>>30224071
I understand the general gist of it, but could someone go into more detail on why comissioned officers can't really spend much time in an ODA even if they desired to? Are there really any US SOF groups that allow commissioned officers to stay in the field for longer than a few years?
>>
recruiter told me to lie to meps about drug use/adhd/broken bones. ive been to a rehab for drugs when i was 18 and that was 3 years ago and havent done drugs since, am i fucked?

im not looking for a top secret clearance
>>
>>30223417
Id rather ask what should i expect when i get into boot. Im really worried about the physical aspect of it.
I am bare minimum IST atm, and i ship in august
>>
>>30225067
then lie your little heart out
>>
>>30225005
I don't really want to do that, and get paid a fraction of what I would as a civilian while having less control over my life.

Big draw of ROTC-HSPS is that I could extensively further my education and gain new skills that normally require up to $500,000 to fund, and come out debt free on the other side. That to me is well worth the service requirement and loss of control, especially when it's coupled with helping treat the men and women of the armed forces.
>>
>>30225178
i did at meps, ive been in dep for about 3 weeks now so far all seems well... im just so fucking paranoid. it usually happens when i drink i start to think what the fuck did i get myself into.

Im very motivated to become a Marine and my vet buddy told me straight up to lie my ass off so i guess thats what ill do..
>>
File: 1434616302550.png (80 KB, 218x239) Image search: [Google]
1434616302550.png
80 KB, 218x239
I have no direction in life

which branch is for me?

ps ive been a NEET for a year now
>>
File: 1459573813617.jpg (181 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
1459573813617.jpg
181 KB, 853x1280
>>30225270
USMC 0311

shoot sand niggers for the greater good of America
>>
>>30225270
>I have no direction in life

Marines. HOOAH
>>
Is it worth going into the military just for the benefits, the recognition from civilians, and the experience from 4 (?) years of serving your country?

For an officer I mean. I'd be 26 by the time I get out from a 4 year stint. That's not bad unless I can make a lot of money otherwise.
>>
>>30222984
Are you allowed to purchase and own personal firearms while in the army?
>>
>>30225517
yes
>>
I want to shoot sand niggers, but don't want nigs like >>30225270 dragging us down. wat do?
>>
>>30222984
Alright, I've been thinking of joining up for a while, and I've decided that if I were to go through with everything, I'd go for the Navy.

Some context before I launch into my questions: I'm almost 21 years old, I started college at 18, fucked up royally and then dropped out after a year. I took some time off, worked a few jobs, transferred to community college. I've retaken the transfer equivalents to the classes I fucked up when I was 18, so I could boost my GPA, and now I'm in the middle of finishing an Associates in computer programming.

Once I get my Associates, I'm planning on transferring to a four year school and finishing my bachelor's. And then possibly grad school.

Now there are two ways I've thought I might be able to include the Navy:

1) I was thinking of signing a four year contract, going into the reserves until I finish my Associates after one or two years and then switching to active duty. Then when my contract is up, I'll go to four year school and get my degree, and, assuming I'm eligible, have it paid for by the GI bill. This way, I'd be around 27 when I get my degree.

Or

2) I could stay in school, finish my Associates and my Bachelor's, and then do a four year stint in the Navy. This way I'd be 29 or 30 when I get out, which to me, seems kind of old. I'd just be competing with 22 year olds for jobs. That might not actually be a big deal, but I don't have any experience with this stuff, so I'm not sure.

Anyway what seems more feasible to you guys? Is there a better way than those two that I could about this? I like the idea of GM as my rate, what are the odds of getting that in reserves, and what's that rate like? How shitty are the reserves? Any advice?
>>
File: 54d9041995a53_m.jpg (15 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
54d9041995a53_m.jpg
15 KB, 200x300
>>30222984
Where did Pap go? He was one of the few tripfags that didn't shit the board up.
>>
>>30225532
>being mean to me
>>
>>30225551
Thanks for the (You)
>>
>>30225540
Also I should've mentioned, I saw a few therapists for depression and social anxiety while I was in high school, and before that I was diagnosed with ADHD. I take a low dose of Adderall, but I could probably live without it. Is any of that going to get me fucked over?
>>
>>30225517
You'll have to keep them at a buddies house on base or somewhere off base if you're in the barracks. Also needs to be registered on post and some other gay shit
>>
>>30225010
Well you can't even attend selection until you're waiting on promotion for CPT.

Once you're in you'll stay in, but you'll end up doing time overseeing SFAS or any other kind of SF training
>>
>>30225532
nigs like >>30225270 are about 95% of the makeup of enlisted people in any branch

army will promise you infantry as you can sign specifically for 11b

USMC will promise you 03xx meaning you could end up infantry/mortarmen/saw gunner ect.

so unless your dead set on being a badass marine id go army because they will put infantry in your contract
>>
>>30225406
Horah, dont dissrespect my Corps with that Army faggotry
>>
Guys I have drill tomorrow and I REALLY dont feel like going. What the fuck.
>>
File: 1452374999555.png (109 KB, 289x327) Image search: [Google]
1452374999555.png
109 KB, 289x327
>>30225803
>being mean to me
>>
>>30222984
This picture beijg constantly reposted on /k/ is exactly why I will never go to nuggetfest, ever.
>>
>>30225816
quit being a NEET nigger and enlist or get a job you fucking spade
>>
>>30225815
feel that i had a USMC poolee workout this morning at 0800 that fucked my shit up
>>
>>30225833
Its just fucked up that my unit is an hour and a half away so I have to leave at 0430 to get to it for formation at 0630 only to convoy back to a half hour from where i live where we are gunna train. Who knows i might not even be issued gear and just sit on my ass like last drill. Then Im going to shitty as Ft Polk for AT next month.
>>
>>30225845
im going active duty so im not sure how the reserve life works but i guess just tough it out man, its only one week a month right? or is it just a weekend
>>
>>30225845
JRTC? You gonna get rekt by Gman
>>
>>30225852

Bro I dont want to be in this anymore. I was given chapter recommendation by 3 doctors and went to behvior health for the majority of AIT but te fucking commander was a douche and wouldnt chapter me out.

>>30225864
What am i supposed to be doing there. I just got to my unit so i couldnt go to fort drum last month for their rehearsal of JRTC. I still dont have any TA 50.
>>
>>30225875
Well it depends on if you'll be doing anything with the opfor or not. Some units just go there and do live fires.

But if you're doing the full JRTC experience, you'll be living on a makeshift fob and will go out on patrols and junk and get murdered by the opfor. You'll be trying to sleep at night and they'll constantly be attacking the fob with small arms and mortar fire.

Some Gman will most likely take out one of the vehicles, hop in the turret, and lay waste to the whole patrol/convoy. Then the O/C grading you guys will tell your leadership how ate up/terrible you all are.

It's fun for the 509th, but sucks for any unit going through there
>>
>>30225915
i mean im only national guard 13fox so it doesnt sound like id be doing that. who knows.
>>
>>30225925
Well if you go against opfor and end up in contact and surviving, don't go chasing after them into the woods. It's usually a baited ambush.

Also make sure your miles gear is working and turned on, don't listen to anyone that says to just turn it off - the little laser deal on your weapon communicates with your harness, so if the harness is turned off the shots you fire from your weapon won't do anything
>>
>>30225963
To be completely honest I forgot the majority of stuff I learned in basic and AIT. Im a terrible soldier with no motivation to do anything. Thinking of just failing a piss test to get out desu. I hate this shit.
>>
I want to join the army and fly helicopters

I've had shit posture all my life so my back is a bit weird looking but it's not super noticeable if I stand up stock straight and it doesn't give me any issues (my day job involves lots of heavy lifting)

Also my vision is kind of crap

how fucked am I? I have a friend in the muhreenz who says that as long as I downplay all of that shit and don't be a shitter I should be fine, but he's a grunt and I have to imagine selection is a bit more rigorous for chopper pilots.

Would picking up a few flight hours help? I can't do rotary wing shit because nobody rents them around here, but I could pay for a few hours of fixed wing if that would help me down the line.
>>
redpill me on usmc comms
>>
>>30224318
What's wrong with going in as an MP?
>>
>>30225439
Doing it for the recognition is dumb. The benefits and experience might be worth it, depending on what your other opportunities are. If you're like most people, you probably don't have the earning potential to make more as a civilian than an officer.
>>
>>30226643
Army Warrant Officer?

BTW you can't "downplay" your shit vision. They test your vision at MEPS and decide if you can enlist from there. Your back on the other hand, if you can make it look good when the doctor examines it, you should be fine.

99% sure that they won't consider fixed wing experience when deciding whether to take you or not.
>>
>>30224318
Make your recruiter properly document and get waivers for everything.

A lot of recruiters like to play the "lets just not talk about this" game, which works well when 90% of the people they are enlisting require no clearance.

In your case, you're going to need a TS and probably will be tagged for SCI too which usually means polygraph. It's way easier to go through the bullshit and get it properly documented than have to hide shit from the DoD for years.
>>
>>30227193
Is bachelor's degree required for warrant officer? I have an associates as of now
>>
>>30227193

Is that vision shit a deciding factor? I mean, I doubt they let fucks in glasses fly, so it probably is, but shit.

I dunno man, my marine buddy is kind of full of shit 99% of the time. He told me to wear contacts and just not say anything.
>>
>>30226989
Do you enjoy checking IDs at the gate and busting soldiers/airmen/sailors for going 27 in a 25?
>>
>>30227205
If your vision is within 20/50 you're good. They'll issue you corrective lenses to wear while flying.

Not trying to shit-talk the marines, but I wouldn't listen to him. The requirements to be a grunt are basically do PT and yell a lot.
>>
>>30227205
>marine grunt full of shit
Yep most likely
>>
>>30226725
>X this is Y, X this is Y. Radio check, over.
>Y this is X, I read you loud/quiet and clear/garbled, over.
>X this is Y, say again last, over.
>>
>>30226725
If you want to do comms, why marines?
>>
>>30227220

I have mad respect for the guy- he's a fucking animal at what he does, apparently, but he's also one of those guys who joined up specifically to be a grunt and to fight in wars and shit. So, being a peacetime marine, he literally went crazy for a bit and had to go through rehab.

Still my main man though, only guy I still fuck with from the godawful town I used to be from.

Anyway, yeah- do you know anything about the specifics of getting in for rotary wing shit? There's frighteningly little information about this shit out there. I keep hearing some fuckers talking about how the army needs pilots- is that a crock of shit or nah?
>>
>>30227204
Nope.
>>
>>30227236
I'm sure he's great at being a grunt, I have mad respect for them too. They just aren't the best source of information about how the higher levels of the military work.

I'm actually in the Air Force, so I don't know much more than what I've told you. Call a recruiter, if the Army needs pilots they would be happy to answer your questions.
>>
alright another Viet-fucking-nam question

my grandfather was in the Army in vietnam and im going through his medals and ive identified >>30224050 these but the last thing i dont understand are these 2 button medals

they seem to be
Army Engineer Officer buttons but why would he have these? he wasnt an engineer
>>
>>30227248

Would it be best to ask all that stuff now, or to wait? I've been told by both marinesguy and some coworkers who are former military that it's usually best to wait until the fiscal year rolls over between August and October to really try to get in.

I mean, I couldn't get in now if I was the most qualified fucker anyway, I've got to try and get my ass back into shape, but still.
>>
>>30227239
So I can pretty much go to the recruiter already and ask to sign up for flight warrant officer ?
>>
>>30227313
It's called Street-To-Seat WOFT. You have to put together a packet of paperwork and be reviewed by a board of people who will say yes/no. It isn't like enlisting.
>>
File: americancuck.png (47 KB, 961x414) Image search: [Google]
americancuck.png
47 KB, 961x414
>There's cuck, then there's Army cuck
>>
Marine MP Cpl here.

For those asking about boot camp, it's all a game, you need to play it. Physically it's not hard at all.

After that you get 10 days of leave and you can do recruiters assistant for some extra time at home but you have to work with your RSS and do some bullshit.

Then you go to ITB or MCT if you're a POG for a month. Then if you are a grunt you go to your unit; if you are a POG you go to your schoolhouse without leave in between.

School house is boring and you learn the basics of your MOS.

Then you go to the fleet and you will be a boot until you stop being a fuck up and learn how the Marines work.

Then you go on little training ops or possibly the MEU (ship) and go train with different countries or train them or get deployed which is unlikely now.

Most likely you end up with a divorce while you're in and if you don't get an NJP you'll get out after 4-5 years with an honorable discharge and got to see some cool places and shoot some fun guns a couple times. Then you get your GI Bill, go to college, either flunk out or get your degree and the time you were in will be a distant memory and you can take pride in the fact that you served your country.

Or you stayed in because you don't think you could make it in civilian life and become a broken disgruntled old gunny who yells at marines for having slightly different colored cammies...you become an alcoholic, get forcibly retired after your 20 and be the moto vet old guy with PTSD and substance abuse problems.
>>
>>30227981

pmo shitposting about how shitty their time in was... what a surprise.
>>
>>30223419
You have to be off the medication for two years.
>>
What's the deal with the Delayed Entry Program?

I'm applying for OCS. If things go well and I get accepted, what exactly are my requirements and responsibilities until I ship to Basic?
>>
>>30228495
check in with your recruiter from time to time to make sure you arent in jail/getting fat/smoking pcp
>>
>>30228495

I'm assuming you're talking about the army.

In addition to this >>30228571, depending on how long it is for you to leave you may have to get scheduled for meps "inspects." You go duck walk again and they make sure you haven't gotten any retarded new tattoos or injuries.

In general, they have you do an inspect for every six months.
>>
>>30227313
Also, being a helicopter pilot in those birds is really bad for your back. I see you already have back problems, so I would stay clear of that
>>
>>30228962
>>30227313

Also vision can be no worse than 20/50 uncorrected
>>
>>30227203
Thank you.
>>30226989
Do you enjoy responding to belligerent drunken grunts who just beat their girlfriend with a boot at 2:00 AM on a Sunday, then getting yelled out by Officer's Wives for not saluting them as you key card them on the way to bang the same soldier that beat his girlfriend with a boot that instead gets in drunken car crash today that you have to sit around and guard for the rest of the night?
>>
>>30229063

Loling at all the apparent boot beatings that occur in base housing and the barracks.
>>
>>30228697
>>30228571

Thanks gang.

Any idea what the turnaround is from being accepted to shipping off to Basic/OCS?

I know I need to focus on even getting accepted first, but let's say things go great and I get the green light in late July/early August.

My recruiter says I'd probably ship out in November.

Does that sound accurate?
>>
>>30229116
You wouldn't believe how often my unit got called in on weekends cause some guy in the unit beat his wife/girlfriend/cab driver/dog/neighbors wife/neighbors dog

Shit got so old.
>>
>>30227268
Get yourself in shape first.

You want to be in shape when you get to basic, make sure you can pass the PT test before you leave so you don't get stuck in training for extra fun.
>>
File: 1465584574695-1536101380.jpg (433 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1465584574695-1536101380.jpg
433 KB, 720x1280
Best job ive ever had.
>>
>>30229130

>Any idea what the turnaround is from being accepted to shipping off to Basic/OCS?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the current army manpower numbers for officers. If it is anything like the air force then from start to finish you could be looking at a year or more.

If you just wanted to be enlisted in some random job then you could probably get gone in like a month.
>>
>>30229157

I always tell this story that horrifies normal people about domestic abuse:

My wife and I were in housing, lying in bed talking. It was a shitty townhouse and our bedroom shared a wall with the couple next door, they always argued. That night it was particularly bad and we heard the wife yell "What?! Are you going to hit me again?" followed by an impact thud of skin to skin, followed by another yell, then silence. We never heard or saw the wife again after that.

To this day my wife and I still laugh about the possibility that she is now dead.
>>
>>30230041
>Best job ive ever had.
Air Force, what a suprise
>>30225540
>>30225608
You still lurking, if so you should wait to get your degree until you are out. Join now and then get out and use yur GI Bill to get it.
>>
>>30230131
Yep, still here. Thanks man, that's what I was leaning toward. How difficult is it to switch from reserves to active duty?
>>
>>30230305
Depends on your gag reflex.
>>
>>30230305
>Depends on your gag reflex.
That wasnt me but he is kind of right.
Switching is very difficult and desu you shouldnt do it that way. Look your best bet is to go active right now. heres why:
You arent going to need a degree at all until your out so why get it now then join?
Join now and you can actually use TA/Tuition Assistance to get your associates or more while you are in then get out and use GI bill to get Bachelors/Masters for free once you are out.
Also GM is a pretty good rate IMO. Not the best but no where near the worst.
>>
>>30230322
I should probably rethink this then. Which branch of the military, on average, has the smallest dicks? I mean, work smarter not harder, right?

>>30230352
Yeah, I guess that would make more sense. It's worth mentioning, though, that tuition reimbursement for my Associates isn't really a problem. I actually get it through my job. That's why I was thinking of finishing and then going active. But yeah, you're right, it probably isn't worth the headache. And thanks for the input on GM. What other rates would you recommend? My heart isn't set on GM
>>
>>30230679
>I actually get it through my job.
Free is free but id say join sooner rather than later jsut cause the longer you wait the older you will be. Better to knock it out the military while young.
>What other rates would you recommend? My heart isn't set on GM
Man at the end of the day it comes down to what you like and are interested in. I might like different stuff than you do so i cant tell you what you enjoy. What are your interests? What are you looking to get out of the navy? And so on, you gotta gimme your own ideas and feelings before i can recommend a rate senpai.
>>
>>30227207
Going into the corps, but shit I thought security forces did that.
>>
>>30228962

That wasn't me (apparently somebody else wants to fly helos, neato), but is it really that bad?

Rotary wing is what I want to do with my life, honestly, but getting even the lowest rinky-dink grade PPL for helos as a civilian costs ridiculous amounts of money.
>>
>>30230852

Security forces is an 03 mos that babysits fobs in the field. MP/PMO are the gate guys in the Marine Corps.

Congrats, you're joining the worst and arguably most useless civilian transition mos field in the military.
>>
>>30230716
>Better to knock it out the military while young.
I totally agree. That's the whole reason this has been weighing on me recently. I don't want to let my youth slip by and then wish I'd done this.

>What are your interests? What are you looking to get out of the navy?
Well, I don't really know how any of my interests could translate to the navy. If I'm not at work, I usually just sit at home and read. All my friends and I do is play pool and hang out at restaurants. My girlfriend and I canoe or kayak together every week, so I guess that's something. I like canoeing and kayaking.

I guess I have a marginal interest in computers that would probably grow if they were a part of my job. But, the biggest reason I'm attracted to the navy is being out on the ocean. It sounds beautiful. And all the traveling you get to do - I'm amazed that it's so easy for someone in their 20s to have an experience like that. I could be dead wrong about this, but I figured if I took an IT job I wouldn't be outside too much, and I wouldn't get to see as much. And I thought of doing GM because I really want to play with and learn more about guns.

Honestly though, I'm open to just about anything.
>>
>>30230938
No leg room and constantly hunched over during intense vibration. Some 85% of pilots report back pain and discomfort.

If flying is your dream I'd say go for it, but remember that you could very well end up with back trouble
>>
>>30231452
Ok ok i see. Well both IT and GM are great jobs that are both frequently on ships and you will definitely deploy so you will see all you can take.
>I wouldn't be outside too much
DESU the only rate on most ships that is constantly outside is BMs. Most rates work inside the skin of the ship but you can walk outside anytime you feel like taking a look pretty much. Check out this link. Look up rates you are interested in and report back with questions senpai.
https://www.navycs.com/navy-jobs/
>>
How big of a deal are tattooos?

I have a tattoo that says "Jusqu'ici, tout va bien" on my chest.
>>
>>30231484

Worth it, as far as I'm concerned.

What are the chances a nigga like me whose only flight hours are in the form of shitty slavic flight sims could fly something neato burrito like an apache
>>
>>30231566
They arent, you are a complete fag for getting that on your chest though.
>>
File: 1343374235929.png (305 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
1343374235929.png
305 KB, 500x405
>>30231566
>>
>>30231578
It's a quote from a movie I like
>>
>>30231541
Thanks, man. I'm looking over GM again, and I'm about to check out BM. But before I spend hours pouring over everything else on this list, are there any rates that translate particularly well to civilian jobs? Which rates do you think make for the best opportunities once your contact is up?
>>
>>30223233
You're taking about 68w opt 40s right

If so, my PT is shit at the moment

I let myself go for two months. I just got a new membership so I'm starting back up on Monday.
>>
File: 1465599241340-1547637645.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
1465599241340-1547637645.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
Duty day over. What are you dojng this weekend?
>>
>>30223417
I've been DEP since April and MEPS gave me a date of Jan 2. How did I get fucked or are you guys lucky?
>>
>>30232232

It's based off your job training. If your MOS runs one class every year and you already missed it...well then you're waiting for next year's class.

The alternative is to send you to BCT right now, then have you jerk off in a corner for 10 months getting paid to be useless.
>>
Would it be much better to go into infantry first and gain some experience or would it be better to take an 18x contract and immediately try to get to SFAS as soon as possible?
>>
>>30232276
Was I supposed to get an MOS at MEPS? My recruiting office has been really shitty about telling me what my MOS is and they always change it around.
Or would the farther date do more with that fact that MEPS has me put down for going to Parris Island?
>>
>>30232356
This has to be a joke right?
What did you make on the asvab?
>>
>>30232230

just got my roomate and I panda express. those NWU's look salty as fuck
>>
File: 20160610_161904.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160610_161904.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>30232382
Here's all the scores.
If someone's pulling one over my head and neglected to tell me something, then I'd definitely like to know because no mention of any MOS was made to me at MEPS.
>>
>>30232356
open contract as fuk

enjoy being admin
>>
>>30231762
That doesn't make it any better.
>>30232071
>about to check out BM
Don. Unless you love chipping paint and re painting cause thats 90% of what youll be doing. You will be outside constantly though.
>Which rates do you think make for the best opportunities once your contact is up?
IT, Anything engineering does pretty good, ET or CT stuff.
>>30232344
How old are you? Are you emotionally mature?
>>30232406
Bait??? Those arent NWUs you dumb mong. Hes air force. You at 32nd street?
>>
did 4chan fucking die?
>>
>>30233033

Just being a dumbass. Have a first class instructor right now who's NWU's are faded just like that.
>>
>>30233086
Rate?
>>30233045
Think so
>>
File: 1463017523472.jpg (20 KB, 550x276) Image search: [Google]
1463017523472.jpg
20 KB, 550x276
>>30233033
>ET
>Not Superior ET-COM
>ESM
>Masts/Antennas
>Doing nothing while underway except at Periscope Depth

ETR is the way to go. The only issue is that you have to deal with the whole Submarines thing and advancement is absolute garbage.

I love what I do, I just absolutely hate the fucking boat.
>>
>>30233111
fuck i had no idea what i was to do with my life
how the fuck am i gonna do this for 3 months in training, then while deployed on a ship for even longer
>>
>>30233157
What? I said rate?
>>30233117
I wasnt on a sub senpai so i cant comment. And desu thats sounds pretty boring and shitty.
>>
>>30233174
I'm>>30233045
I think I have internet addiction
>>
>>30222984
Any opinions on or experience with Cav scouts?
>>
>>30233111

EM. been trying to secure an ET or FC contract but everyone keeps telling me no matter how well I perform or how well qualified I am I have to wait to cross. maybe sooner if impress at my next command.
>>
so what does 11B/11C do REALLY...?

obviously during war they fight. but we arent in any major wars. so what am i getting myself into? dont tell me im going to be mopping mud puddles....
>>
>>30233191
Oh. I guess you just wont senpai.
>>30233229
Oh ya i think i remember you saying that before. Ya that aint gonna happen for a long time man.
>>30233223
Ive heard they suck but thats just what ive seen on here.
>>30233273
>going to be mopping mud puddles....
Thats also what ive heard on here.
>>
>>30233273

Ideally? Infantry in peacetime maintains their equipment (weapons/vehicles), their garrison AO (the barracks where they sleep, their HQ building, etc) and their physical fitness (by running around and doing pushups) Then, every so often they get to go to the field and pretend they're deployed and actually doing their jobs.

What that actually looks like? 95% standing around/cleaning, 4 % going out to the field and hating life because going to the field usually sucks, and 1 % doing fun/cool Army shit.
>>
Any recruiters here? I've been wanting to reenlist but I'm curious about my odds if being able to with a 3 reentry code.
>>
>>30233273
Training, a lot of ranges, cleaning weapons, hanging around doing jack shit, goofing off.

Probably some random details, but the real shitty stuff like mowing the lawns and junk is saved for people that got a article 15s and are on extra duty.

It ain't that bad, I was an 11B and when we were in garrison and not deployed we had fun
>>
>>30233346
You weren't Infantry. In the field is more like 20-25% of the job, easily. It's very common to go out to the field on Monday morning and not be back till Thursday. Friday is typically a garrison day, but also when company and battalion hikes occur.
>>
>>30233411
You need a waiver
>>
>>30233440

I'm guessing your unit actually has the money to get you a field rotation on a regular basis?

My unit is poor as fuck, we never go anywhere. A whole week in the field is still <5 % if you aren't going on a regular basis.
>>
>>30233459
Not the guy you replied to, but my unit would spend at a minimum 2 weeks in the field each month
>>
>>30233459
Well maybe that's because I was muhreen Infantry, and this was years ago.

They put our dicks out in the dirt a lot. And we were seldom driven there. It's OK for single guys but sucks for married guys. Sometimes if the training range was close to a road a dudes wife or gf would smuggle us some field pizzas.
>>
>>30233033
What's wrong with the tattoo? It's a quote from a movie I like and it's in reference to society's descent into violence and hostility.
>>
>>30233528
You wear a fedora too? Mate thats cringey as fuck and people are going to make fun of you.
>>
>>30233528

yeah man you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>30233441
Once I get the waiver will it become hassle free or will I still have some sort of restrictions on what I can and can't sign up for?
>>
>>30233607
Dude why dont you just go talk to a recruiter? what are you waiting for?
>>
>>30233607
I think once you get a waiver you're good to go. I don't know what you got the code for though, so just email or go visit your local recruiter
>>
>>30233551
Alright, I'll get it tatted over with my mom's name or an anchor or some gay shit you faggot
>>30233565
hoorah
>>
>>30233716
>you faggot
Says the loser with a movie quote on his chest.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 240x128) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 240x128
>>30233565
>>
>>30230041
>not wearing a bag
>>
File: 1426148932441.jpg (73 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1426148932441.jpg
73 KB, 524x468
>>30225925
>>30226047
oh topkek its 13fox again
>>30233528
what kind of person sees a movie and thinks, i should get that line tattooed
>>
If I'm enlisting as an 11b will not having a driver's license be a major issue in certain issues or prevent me from enlisting in that MOS altogether?
>>
>>30234085
Get a govt issued ID at the very least. You won't be dq'd but you'll be recommended to get one.
>>
>>30223263
If I have a history of depression and/or anxiety, but I get cleared for duty by my psychiatrist, can I still pass the psych evaluation for the security clearance, or will I be disqualified?
>>
>>30234373
Keep your fucking mouth shut and no one will be the wiser.
>>
>>30233650
Entry level separation, I got injured in basic and it took quite a bit of time to heal so I ended up quiting before it did all the way.
>>
>>30233877
What kind of person reads a book and sees a line and thinks "I should get that tattooed?"

What kind of person sees something they like and thinks "I should get that tattooed?"

What kind of person thinks "I should get that tattooed?"
>>
>>30224050
Middle one is the national defense ribbon
>>
>>30233877
>>30234418
>What kind of person reads a book and sees a line and thinks "I should get that tattooed?"
>What kind of person sees something they like and thinks "I should get that tattooed?"
>What kind of person thinks "I should get that tattooed?"
Losers
>>
>>30234385
But on the form, I'm required to list my psychiatrists and their info. And I imagine they will request the records or any evaluations right?
>>
>>30234432
>ITT retarded faggots who can't be original with their tattoos.
>>
>>30233310
I toured with a cav scout troop. Best unit I've ever been in.

It all boils down to what kind of culture your leadership promotes and what kind of shit they won't tolerate.

It takes a little while to get used to if you've never been around a troop.
>>
>>30234469
This, tattoos are so played out at this point. Every douche bag has tribal on his shoulders and every slut has some dumb song lyric or quote on her ribs.
>>
>>30234496
>It takes a little while to get used to if you've never been around a troop.
Explain? everyone on here was saying theres way too many women or something like that. Like it was a meme mos.
>>
>>30234501
Alright, what's your supra original tattoo idea friend?
>>
>>30234539
Whatever it is it's better than your queer book quote.
>>
>>30234452
99% of people don't list their medical information. If you're only doing secret clearance, they won't snoop around very much. You don't tell them anything, they won't know anything.
Don't be an idiot and volunteer information.
It should also be noted that getting a waiver is a pain in the ass and unlikely these days since the .mil is drawing down and can afford to be picky.
>>
>>30234539
>supra original tattoo idea friend?
None. tattoos are for losers. Literally only stupid men and 16 year old sluts get tattoos.
>>
>>30223666
>inlists

I'm sure you went to college
>>
>>30234624
>giving him the (You)
Why?
>>
>>30234624
>>30235002
It was clearly bait. He wrote
>No.30222984:
>>
Any ship life stories?
What's ship life like?
I've heard it's a no info zone, meaning cell phone are strictly forbidden, and things like alcohol and tobacco are tightly regulated or considered contraband.
Can anyone confirm this?
Is the Navy a good choice if you're comitted to serving and want to travel?
>>
>>30223974
Here's the thing. If your unit lets you, yes. But...look up the PULHES rating scale. If your eyes are worse than a 2, you *cannot* join.

Also whatever that other faggot anon said about the "no colorblind" is false. Know a couple guys in group that are red-green. As long as you can see avocado green vs. Fire engine red, you're good.

Oh, and...be good at everything else. Everyone else is going to be good if their unit sends them to SFAS. You can't be mediocre, AND have that tickmark against you.

Lastly, don't think that far ahead. Figure out if you're okay with the worst possible scenario: Getting stuck in a shitty infantry unit. If you're okay with that, then do it, and then try your best to get your ass out, okay?
>>
File: 1465500402059.png (788 KB, 908x962) Image search: [Google]
1465500402059.png
788 KB, 908x962
Why do people wash out of the following?
>Special Forces
>PJ/Pararescue
>CCT
>SEAL/BUDS
>Option 40
Please answer to the best of your knowledge. No tough guys
>>
>>30238850
because they're difficult and people quit
>>
>>30236949
>Any ship life stories?
A ton
> it's a no info zone
Depends on your rate, there is usually internet but it can be restricted
> cell phone are strictly forbidden
Bro cellphones dont work on the ocean
You can smoke but cant drink
>want to travel
Yes, i did 2 deployments in 4 years.
>>
Okay, /meg/, got a bit of a weird question.

On the scale of "hardcore special cool-guy shit", is there anything that is found between "basic 11B/3xx" and "Rangers/SF/Force Recon"?

I'm interested in a combat arms role that involves more advanced training, higher standards, etc. But I don't know for sure yet that I have the determination/focus to pursue the super-rigorous path towards being a ranger, green beret. Is there anything that bridges the gap between these levels?
>>
>>30239372
Eh I'd say go 11B/airborne and try to get into your units recon platoon
>>
>>30239372

Yeah, it's called being a Ranger. Rangers are a well-funded light infantry unit with a short selection process, it's not the same level as going through the SF pipeline.
>>
>>30239372
Of course. Different units, different branches. Different missions. Different roles. Differences.

Life isn't a video game where you set difficulty levels. There are a lot of variables.

Don't trust /k/'s 15 year old wisdom on special airsoft operations either. If you want Infantry advice I might have some. You'd have better luck praying to Chris Kyle for SF advice than here. It's just grade schoolers that read a Tom Clancy book.
>>
>>30239418
You don't have to capitalize the label ranger, son. I've spent many of my years as a ranger. Not a single one of us wants recognition. Please. Stop.

Go talk about the wondertard seals or something.
>>
>>30239448
>who is Ricky
>>
>>30239393
Solid advice. You must be an 11b1p.
>>
>>30239520
A fucking loud mouth.
>>
>>30239540
11C2P
>>
>>30239520
Ricky is a turd. I've told him that many times. Go rimjob his asshole, you need something else to lick besides boots.

>Muh steroids
>>
>>30239549
I love mortars!

Hump that fucking base plate, son! hahahaha...
>>
>>30239547
>>30239561
Irrelevant.
hes a ranger correct? What are you? Im not rimjobing him by pointing out a fact
>>
>>30238981
hows the officers? i guess it depends
how much access does one get to the internet? just emails? or 4chan?

what about video games? are they big? i guess it wouldn't be as big with the officers right? And there's no fraternization should the enlisted dudes get together and play DnD or CS?
>>
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 884x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 884x590
>>30239562
I don't miss those days
>>
File: image_8408.jpg (219 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image_8408.jpg
219 KB, 1000x1000
>>30239585
"what are you?"

Gee golly gosh, I guess I'm a fucking ranger from third batt.
>>
>>30239585
I don't know if he really is. He trips and autist don't argue. So I guess he's posted proof before.

I'm just a dude. I was an 0311 with 2 deployments both Iraq and Afghanistan with a CAR. I've been around. But I'm not a SEAL super soldier that advocates steroids to 18 year olds, so disregard my opinion.
>>
Sup fags, active duty 88K here ask me anything
>>
>>30239610
You google a picture and im supposed to believe you?
>>30239626
>advocates steroids
Why is that bad? Most of /fit/ does it and if you spent the time to read up on them youd know if you use responsibly there is little to no risk.
>>30239586
>hows the officers?
Most suck ass
>>30239586
>how much access does one get to the internet?
Free time, whenever a computer is free. I probably wpuldnt use 4chan. But underway all i did was email cause anytime i had to myself i was catching up on sleep. Youre usually dead tired underway. At least if you have a real rate and not some faggy supply one.
>should the enlisted dudes get together and play DnD or CS?
The mess decks is for that. After chow most people are there playing cards or dominos. Sometimes video games.
>>
>>30239689
which was the best type of officer? OCS/ROTC/ or the academy dudes?
>>
>>30239689
I really don't care about my believability. I just care about shutting stupid fucking comments closed. Can you help with that?
>>
>>30239714
>shutting stupid fucking comments closed
What?
>>30239711
>which was the best type of officer? OCS/ROTC/ or the academy dudes?
Honestly no way to tell, the Gunno on my ship was a female from the academy and she was super cool. Very chill and realized she didnt know shit so she kept her mouth shut and learned. And yet our Commo was also from the academy and was a complete douchbag. Literally thought he was gods gift to the navy and basically thought all enlisted were mouth breathing morons. Its a literal person by person basis. Same with enlisted. Some are smart and cool, others are complete faggots.
>>
>>30239640
So are you guys just the non operator form of SWCC?
>>
>>30225109
Kevin?
>>
Hey just graduated bmt for the chair force. On saturday town pass, my job is cyber systems ops and requires TS clearance. What can I expect. I honestly think Bmt has ruined my perception on military life. What's the hospitality like out there and what are the odds I'll have a shitty nco and hate my life
>>
>>30239418
Hmm I had heard that RASP was on a level similar to that of the SF qualification, at least physically.
>>
Ship to Benning to be an 11 Bang-Bang in the Guard.

What should I expect from my fellow privates?

How do I not suck at rucking?

Where and when is the best time to masturbate?
>>
>>30240873
In August/early September?
>>
>>30240926
Late June, sorry m8
>>
>>30240873
Expect some autists, probably some guys going awol and overall shitbags.

Rucking is pretty easy, just take long strides and try to stay in the front. The farther back you are the more it'll suck because dudes in front of you will fall behind then run to catch back up which will make you do that as well
>>
>>30240540

How often were you given your cell phone in AF BMT? I heard it's on an almost once a week basis.
>>
>>30240949
I'm 5'4 so it's kinda hard to take long strides. But thanks for the advice about staying up front!
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30241007
Here's from when I went through. I don't think much has changed
>>
>>30241055
I did a 6-miler in less than an hour and 30, but that was mostly on flat terrain. Besides the rucking, and the concerns of where to jerk off, I don't think I'll suffer too badly.
>>
>>30241117
That's good time. What kind of weight? To get your Expert Infantryman Badge the ruck is 12 miles in 3 hours. That'll be something you'll do at your unit (assuming NG does EIB)
>>
>>30241131
35ish pounds, but it was on the shoulder of a road. Are the ruck marches in basic done as road marches?
>>
>>30241153
Pretty much. On our 10 or 12 miler we ended up down some shitty sand road for awhile which sucked, then there's a good sized hill you'll do during those. Stairway to heaven is what the hill is called
>>
>>30223417
Yeah no amount of training will prepare you little fuck head.
>>
>>30241198
Thank God. Thanks for the advice m8!
>>
>>30241223
No problem, go get that cord
>>
I swear into the coast guard on monday. Already went to MEPS and did all that crap, had my asshole looked at and my junk li-checked.
>>
Just signed up as 19k

I did good yes?
>>
>>30222984
>tfw I was there for that OP picture
>tfw part of history

>>30240997
4 times total for us. First one for less than 5 minutes, other 3 for 10 or 15.

>>30240540
Enjoy tech school, Keesler is pretty cool. I'm here now for cyber trans school.
>>
>>30241352
K
>>
File: 1465425039494.jpg (36 KB, 482x427) Image search: [Google]
1465425039494.jpg
36 KB, 482x427
Guys... I have some bad news...
leave for bootxamp on trumps bday

I'm literally going to miss the convention being comfy with my polbros and the daily trump bantz...
That means no more shitposting or (you)s for months... I'm not sure I can take that risk...

I..I.. g-guesss I..im r-r-ready f...for h...hillary
>>
have fun being replaced by robots
>>
>>30238850
>>30238951
How does one not drop out of these?
>>
Theoretically, if one were to score incredibly high on the AVSAB and pass any extra TS requirements and be guaranteed any position in the AF, what should one take?

The things I value most in a job are rewarding work and valuable training that can be used in civilian life. I have no aspirations to fly planes.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
>>
>>30243137

If you want a transferable career, 1B4.
>>
>>30230097
>To this day my wife and I still laugh about the possibility that she is now dead.
Edgy, but I wish I was married and could do that.
>>
Navy checking in,was once known as cryptobro around here if anyone from then is still on.
>>
asufag here

My Dad has always said the military wants people to join young and they have the best chance of getting in

I'm turning 23 in August
If I apply next year at 24 do I have a decent chance of being able to get a combat engineer/rifleman position, or am I going to lose out to a 18 year old
>>
Anyone know anything about serving on a sub? Thinking of joining up and it sounds interesting as fuck
>>
>>30243666
Been there. What do you want to know?
>>
>>30243699
Just curious about how you go about it, what the training is like, how life is on the sub, what did you do day to day, what was the temp on the sub, what did you do when you weren't on the sub?

I'm fairly ignorant to military life in general but Sub life sounds like it would be extremely different
>>
>>30243730
>how you go about it
I can give you some rates (jobs) that are sub rates, make sure you volunteer for sub service. You'll be picked up almost for sure.
>what's life like/what's the temp
Very monotonous. We often reference groundhog day. You get woken up, go to watch, get off watch, do any maintenance or extra duty you have, then you stay entertained until you go to sleep. Thankfully some kind soul donated a bunch of consoles and cases to the sub force so we do have video games and a ballin movie collection. Also card games for days. The temp is generally chilly, except in the engine room it can get up to 90 ish degrees some places. If you're deep for a while it's gotten so cold that we had to scrape ice out of the bilges (space in the bottom to collect fluid runoff, nastiest place on the boat)
Will continue.
>>
>>30243730
>>30243768
(cont.)
When you're not underway youre fixing things that broke (not everything can be fixed on deployment) and doing more upkeep preparing to go out again. Really not that bad at all.

>bonus
The lack of seeing the Sun doesn't bother people too much, it's the low oxygen that'll really fuck you.

>bonus bonus
Staying busy = staying sane. The guys that just EXIST places in their off time and don't do anything or socialize are the ones that lose their shit.
>>
>>30243804
>>30243768
what about officers? i went on a tour and you dudes slept under a fucking torpedo
and your oxygen levels are lowered for the fires, thats so fucked. how little sleep do you get? boomer or fast attack or the SSGN? would you recommend it?
>>
>>30243839
Officers get a trade off. They get much nicer sleeping and living conditions, but they only get about 3 hours of sleep at a time because they're needed for so much shit. So basically they survive on naps.
>racking in torpedo
Done it. And yes it sucks.
>O2 levels
I mentioned that, and yes it sucks. On deployment I typically lose about 20 lbs and yes, my fingertips and lips turn blue after a loooooooong time.
Reccomend GN or BN, longer deployments but there's MUCH more room. and the GNs are more recently refitted so theyre less likely to kill you. Fast attacks have much shorter underways though and hit a lot of ports on deployment so if travels your thing, do that.
>>
>>30243839
To finish answering, I get about 4 hours of sleep a day underway. But that's my natural circadian rhythm without sunlight to regulate it ( I'm actually kinda obsessed with sleep studies lol)
Here's the deal about subs. Its dirty, rough, and vulgar 24/7. But it's also something you can take pride in. So if you like that, then I recommend it. If you're going to be a bitch about people being mean, then don't bother.
>>
>>30243804
>>30243768
>>30243886
Original guy who asked here, that actually sounds pretty fantastic, minus the bit about losing 20 pounds every deployment...muh gains :(

I'm about to finish college with a dual degree in chemistry and biology so I suppose I'd be going in as an officer. Seems pretty decent for them as well.
>>
>>30244383
Speaking of finishing a bio/chem dual degree, does anyone know anything about CBRNs in any branch?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.