[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Affordable MREs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: avatar_1447027267476.jpg (15 KB, 339x480) Image search: [Google]
15 KB, 339x480
Hey /k/ new fag here. I was wondering where I could get some affordable MREs, I've looked at some but they seem pretty expensive (About $100 for a 12 pack). Any suggestions?
>>
>>30150776
Amazon usually has a case of 12 for 60-70$ US
>>
>>30150776
unless you're planning on actually using the MRE's long shelf life and high calorie sustainable, you are better served by preparing your own based on trailmix, pemmican, and dehydrated foodstuff. it'll more economical and suitable for a single person who isn't running around in combat all the time.
>>
>>30150776
I'll give you a case for $60, leave a throwaway
>>
http://theepicenter.com/sopakco-surepak-case-with-heaters-menu-g.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-1-SEALED-MRE-Case-A-Meals-INSP-2017-Survival-/182132594158?hash=item2a67f2d5ee:g:xswAAOSw~oFXOJ8l
>>
>>30150776
Can anyone post the infographic of the homemade mres? I'm on my phone and can't find them.
>>
I got some for $50 per box of 12 at the Nation's Gun Show in Virginia about a month ago. Look at garage sales and gun shows until you find some.
>>
>>30150816
>MRE's long shelf life
its what
>>
File: DIY_MRE.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1879) Image search: [Google]
DIY_MRE.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1879
>>30151203
>not putting all your infographics on google drive so you can access them anywhere

Literally takin a shit right now fampai, you're welcome
>>
>>30151203
im surprised that image has lasted so many years, because its shit. 70% of the importance in MREs is the cook-in feature, which shrink wrap does not offer. that image is literally just taking viable hiking foods and vacuum sealing them. thats more prepper than an MRE, because they are not ready to eat, or anywhere near it
>>
>>30153496
>salt salt salt and more salt
this thing has basically no nutritional content and is generally really bad for you

also this >>30153520
>>
>>30153496
Just dropped by to skim mre info. This is a good suggestion, ty anon I'm glad i lurked
>>
>>30153496
Why vacuum seal any of that shit? It's all in handy packages with long shelf lives anyway.

>>30150816
Honestly, unless you're going to be out for a VERY long time, you could make whatever food you want and put it in a sealed container. Most foods keep pretty well if just stored properly, even without refrigeration.

Fun Fact: Pie and many sorts of filled breads and dumplings was originally developed as a traveling rations.
>>
>>30153496
>an infographic made by civilians who have never gone to the field
>>
>>30154114
This is such a stupid response it hurts. Why would someone in the field ever worry about making their own? This is obviously for personal use, no one thinks otherwise
>>
>>30154224
I hope this is bait, because you're retarded otherwise.
>>
Actual MREs are overpriced, heavy, and clog your digestive system. Sardines, summer sausage, trail mix, and energy bats are a better alternative
>>
>>30154260
>energy bats
I want this, tell me where I can find these.
>>
>>30154224
>requires mixing with boiling/hot water in some sort of container
>ready-to-eat

>choose one and only one

These are shitty mountain/LRP ration clones at best.
>>
>>30154278
You catch a bat and fucking eat it.

>>30154286
>tfw that ONE canadian IMP that MUST be cooked because it has dry couscous in it

who the fuck designed that shit

I still have that pouch in my kitchen as a souvenir from basic
>>
>>30154286
Did your mres not having heating elements in them? Every MRE I've ever got has had a a way to heat up water and the main entree. Ramen wouldn't be hard to do.
>>
>>30154312
Heating is optional and didn't require a pot or pan unlike that infographic.

In b4 instant potato flakes and water inside a plastic bag shoved in an FRH. That is definitely not "ready to eat"
>>
>>30154312
Canadian IMPs, as far as I know, do not include heater packs. But it's okay, since you can eat the food cold just fine. There's only one item you're even better off at all boiling, and it's the fucking couscous. (rice dishes come already cooked and just sealed, but couscous comes dry like you'd get it at a grocery store for some stupid reason)

I dunno anything about American MREs but I imagine they don't need cooking and just include heater packs as a creature comfort.
>>
>>30154321
>>30154339
Good point
>>
>>30150776

It's called "having friends inna military that can smuggle that shit for you"
>>
>>30153552
>whatever food you want and put it in a sealed container.

You mean canning. A good skill to have.
>>
>>30154286
MREs are actually supposed to be hot foods that are ready to make and eat. military MREs allow the container to both store and cook the food in, with chemical heating elements to boil water in the bag. that image had no way of either boiling water or containing boiling water. it never made sense to me how that image was the shining champion of MRE infographs on k, when it really has nothing to do with it. that image was just showing you how to store food longterm, which is hilarious because everything he sealed had an insane shelf life. its basically wearing 2 condoms
>>
File: 55386.png (540 KB, 560x346) Image search: [Google]
55386.png
540 KB, 560x346
>>30150776
Welcome newfag, lurk a while would you?

PAY ATTENTION
]Cheap MRE's will kill you. MRE's that have sat in the heat for months are no good and will fuck up your liver and kidneys.
Life lesson. don't by the cheapest production food, this is a sound rule for your life expectancy anon.

If you are building a prepper pantry for long term noms start with just a few cases of FRESH production MRE's
Then get sample packs of Mountain House, Wise and other long shelf life dehydrates. The dehydrated food that is vacume packed under an nitrogen blanket is good to eat for over 25 years so this is your best bet.

Be able to clean up the worst greenist stinking water if you want to live. Make sure your filters are less than 0.2 micron's and pre filter water before you use your good less than 0.2 micron filter systems.
I will stay ITT in case you have any questions newb, and welcome again.
>>
>>30158219
>Then get sample packs of Mountain House, Wise and other long shelf life dehydrates. The dehydrated food that is vacume packed under an nitrogen blanket is good to eat for over 25 years so this is your best bet.
Derped a little OP >>30150776
Use cheap sample packs to find out what you like from each producer. Some stuff is really good and some stuff is dog shit.
>>
File: image 4.jpg (218 KB, 961x539) Image search: [Google]
image 4.jpg
218 KB, 961x539
>>
Prepper with 15 years experience willing to answer questions...no one interested?
>>
>>30153496
MRE = Meal Ready to EAT

Ramen, adding water does not count. That's some civilian nigger rig shit.
>>
>>30153242
I ate an MRE from Oct 2001 sometime around March 2010 with only minimal digestive issues.
>>
>>30160913
>Ramen, adding water does not count.
Ramen noodles packages are way to high in sodium and eating the noodles raw and dry will kill you from dehydration. People telling you to use them that way are doing nothing less than sharing the /b/ boards crystal instructions
>>
>>30160950
So maybe that MRE was stored in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. I have MRE's I bought new as fresh production that are 20 years ols that I would eat with no worried. I took delivery with in a week of their productionand have stored themin a cool underground pantry out of direct sunlight.

I stand by what I posted. Unless you are 100% positive on how those MREs were stored before you took possession DO NOT BUY THEM.
>>
>>30150776
have fun OD on sodium
>>
File: 51462308_dcd59a6cfd_o.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
51462308_dcd59a6cfd_o.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
>>30161045
Yeah, we agree.

>>30161077

Storage matters. My gunny fucked up during Mojave viper training and didn't get us MREs. So the supply guy gave us what he had, a connex box full of shit MREs. The cheese packets were hard, bread was moldy. Fuck. MREs suck enough eating spoiled ones truly suck.
>>
>>30160865
Yes.

Give us an idea of what you keep stock of. How much, how stored, etc.
>>
>>30161495
READY?!
Rotating stock of fresh foods but enough of your panty that your canned veggies don't go bad.

Your regular panty should be about 30% ready to cook food and canned soups, veggies. you want this to completely rotate every nine months so it's at least a year before out of date when you eat it.

The next part of your pantry should be foods you cooked and canned yourself. Using the modern pressure cooker canning you can preserve almost any meal you cook for almost two years

Third part of your pantry needs to be things you won't eat

toiletries and hygiene products to keep morale up for everyone there. Meds for as long as you can.

Learn about "other than for human use" anti biotics you can use.

Get a couple dozen ZPACS saved up.
>>
>>30158219
>pre filter water

Different guy. Do you mean through cloth or foam stuff?
>>
>>30162317
Dennim is real good. Pants leg folded to a point at the bottom are perfect.
>>
>>30162317
>>30162479
Should have said the best water purifier is pool cleaner crystals.
They are a condensed bleach. Each paper canister treats over 5,000 gallons of drinking water.

The man who provides clean water is everyone's best friend
>>
>>30162503
>The man who provides clean water is everyone's best friend

The man who provides clean water better be fucking well armed, too.
>>
>>30162580
That goes with out saying. FN7 for side arm and S&W M&P10. turned into SBR with suppressor.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.