[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: 1443382187654.jpg (114 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1443382187654.jpg
114 KB, 717x960
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
Penis inspection edition

Be the You that Believes in Yourself (in the polygraph at MEPS) edition

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
Use the IRC pussies
>>
>want to reclass into a different MOS
>find a unit on HRC that claims to have a few open slots
>doesn't provide a phone number I can contact them with
>Career Counselor is ignoring my calls and emails
Is it supposed to be like this...? I just want a new non shit MOS damn it.
>>
>>29777827
35G shipping in june.
I never did a polygraph at MEPS... Do I do that when I ship?
>>
>>29778445

This is the way that I had always heard things work - you try to change jobs and you get stonewalled, if you had no plan or a shitty plan for eas you get forced to reenlist in your current one.

Sorry, sounds like someone doesn't want you to leave... or it could just be that your guy doesn't care about his job, that is always possible since nobody ever actually wants to be a counselor.
>>
Does anyone know the likelihood of having my ship date moved up after my security clearance goes through? They said they can't move it until the clearance goes through, which should be soon as it's been two months and it's just "secret". Does it depend on rate?
>>
I have DODMERB on the 9th, and I need to lose 9 lbs for my height. I'm planning on switching my diet to 3 chicken breasts a day and salad, while running 2-3 miles a day and not doing any muscle building excercises. Sound good?
It's for AFROTC, I got a scholarship offer that I'm going to take. Ik this is enlistment general but I'm sure some of you might have some helpful info. I was considering taking laxatives as well, but I'm not sure how that would look on a blood test that I'm sure they will do.(not them seeing the lacatives which I doubt they look for, but the lowered nutrient level which I'm assuming I'll have.)
What do you guys think?
>>
>>29779345

You'll be good so long as you maintain your diet. The food is the most important thing, when I limited my calories to 2300 a day at 6'3" I was dropping 4.5 or more pounds a week; I went from 241 to 212 in a little over two months.
>>
>>29779261
Im not gonna lie. I first joined the army for the wrong reasons, and just picked a MOS my recruiter provided for me. Now that im 3 years in, I want a better job. I may have to just wait until my contract is up. I don't plan on re-upping.
>>
>>29779389
I'm pissed because I'm 212 right now, AFROTC standards are 214 for 6'2 and 208 for 6'1. I am 6'1 3/4". A 1/4" inch means I need to lose 6 more lbs. I want to get down to 205 because I don't quite trust my scale too much vs the doctors ones, and I know body weight fluctuates throughout the day.
>>
>>29779391

Meh, I'm sure thousands of people did the same. I don't even remember choosing my mos, I'm pretty sure my recruiter chose it for me. I just got lucky I guess and my guy actually cared enough to pick something in the 130 range, I could have ended up as an admin clerk so easily... then I don't know where I'd be right now because being a radar tech got me my first job when I got out which got me my current computer scientist position when I graduated from college.

I remember that my career counselor was a motor t guy with only one functional hand because he rolled over an ied during phantom fury. I don't remember whether he was getting out soon or what, all I remember is his chicken pecking at his keyboard.. for obvious reasons.
>>
>>29779460

That would be rough if you had a low body fat but since it is an issue I'm assuming you're chubby.

Like I said, maintain your diet and you'll be fine. 1700 cals will probably be what a dietitian would recommend. My university had "free" health services, does yours do the same?

The only thing that I would worry about is whether you'd be able to do it by the 9th. Make sure you watch your sodium intake so you don't retain a shitload of water.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 170x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 170x195
Anyone here been through Marine Infantry Officer Course
>>
>>29779571

Well meme'd, friend.
>>
>>29779571
No but the basic school is probably the toughest intro officer course in the services. That's just taken from my friends who have done it and my experience in bct, wocs, bolc, wobc and sere c+
>>
>>29779549
Yeah I'm a chubby bastard. I'm a high school senior, so no health services. I hadn't thought of watching sodium intake but it does make sense. In the past I went on the military diet and lost 4-5 pounds/week for the first 2 weeks so if I get strict I think I can make it.
>>
>>29779680
Yeah I've already been to OCS and I'll be heading to TBS here soon. All the Lts I know say to lift legs (squats and deadlifts) to help with carrying a ruck.
>>
I already have a good career with huge advancement potential at 20 years old, but its always been a dream of mine to join the army in a combat oriented MOS. im really thinking of joining the National Guard to go through Basic and probably Infantry or CavScout school to satisfy my dream.

any thoughts? Am i being retarded?
>>
>>29779925
Yes you are. But if you still want to go through with it, I recommend 68W( Combat Medic)
>>
>>29779792

Salt and sugar are your enemies. Make sure you don't starve yourself, 1700 cals is a good place for you. Do body weight exercises like push ups, crunches and pull ups. Listen to your body if you do choose to run every day, if your knees are hurting don't push yourself, that is how people blow their acls and such.
>>
>>29779925

Go for it. It is not like active people are going to see combat anyway, so if you have a kiddie dream of wearing a uniform but you don't want to ruin your real life the reserves or guard are both good ways of living that out.

I'd recommend the guard. At least if you get activated it would be to help your community, a reservist will just drill.
>>
>>29779979
What are the chances of actually being assigned to a combat team (i know its the national guard and all but i'd rather be boots on the ground if i am deployed instead of a flight medic or as support staff in a hospital.)
>>
>>29780129
Pretty decent. You'd most likely be assigned to an Infantry unit.
>>
>>29779991
Thanks a lot Anon.
>>
So apparently STEM degrees get boosts for being harder in everything, like OCS, ROTC, etc. Right?

But how much is this boost? Would a 3.5 gpa in engineering be higher than let's say a 3.7 in a non stem degree? Or is it really minuscule?
>>
>>29780580
What branch?
>>
>>29780590
I'm specifically interested in AFROTC.
>>
>>29780580

Someone dun lied to you. The case is that certain degrees qualify for certain jobs in the air force and navy, not that stem degrees somehow "boost" the attractiveness of your officer package.
>>
>>29779889
Shut the fuck up butter bar you're still a boot.
>>
>>29780636
?

STEM degrees do infact get boosts on the OML for the fact that they are STEM.
>>
>>29780808

My bad, looks like it is an army thing from what I am reading.

I have a cs degree and it did nothing for my af officer package, that is the way it should be imo.
>>
>>29780825

Makes me wonder whether the Marine Corps does the same for stem grads, considering that they throw new officers into random jobs like the army.
>>
>>29779273
Having a rate in high demand does contribute to the likely hood of you being rolled-in, according to my recruiter. Shit like nuke gets priority, I am told.
>>
>>29780825
It's the same thing for Army ROTC. My bio degree got a boost for it being technically STEM.
>>
please tell me about 19K
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x377
>>29780749
>>
>>29780825
Did you do OTS? It might be different for OTS, but AFROTC gets the STEM gpa boost too. Infact, the maximum points you can get with a non STEM degree is like 97 points or something.
>>
Is there any reason why 25N AIT now apparently takes 28 weeks? I don't mind, but every official Army site still says 18 weeks and my recruiter was surprised as well. It's not just a typo because my contract has the start and end dates.
>>
>>29781205
A lot of the shit you find online about stuff like AIT length is out of date as fuck
>>
>>29780963
I hope so, I really don't want to sit on my ass until October
>>
>>29779608
Take it, all yours :)
>>
>>29781263
Just make sure your recruiters know crystal clear that is what you want, and they will do what they can. It looks good on a recruiter's record and makes their job a little easier if they can get you out of their hair a bit quicker. No promises though
>>
>>29777827
Dropping the last bit of weight needed for Army, 68W here I come. Excited as fuck for this.
>>
>>29781185

I just got selected this month from the feb board, I haven't been given a class date yet. I was a prior enlisted Marine, I don't know anything about rotc.
>>
>>29780620
You're more likely to get a scholarship if you have a technical degree, which are specific to the college you go to. Minimum gpa standards are still there. 3.0 I believe.
>>
>>29781412
>>29781412
I don't care about the scholarship. All I care about is commissioning.
>>
>>29781424
You can commission with any major if you went through the program. The gpa boost for each specific major I have no clue about.
>>
ok, finally got finished at MEPS, swore in, got my ship date. Anyone at ft. Sill at the end of May, see you there. 35N for 4 years
>>
>>29781436
>>29781424
Though, aren't certain jobs reserved for certain degrees?

Like aren't almost all pilots STEM majors?
>>
>>29781482

Google is your friend
>>
>>29781482
Not that I have heard.
All that matters is you get your degree. You could be a pilot with a language degree or a desk jockey with an engineering degree.
It might make getting a pilot slot or rated position easier, but it shouldn't restrict what you do.
Keep in mind that you will still go to tech school after you commission. That's where they will train you to go do your job.
>>
>>29781464
follow up, when do i get my clearance? after i get to my unit?
>>
>>29781482
>>29781582

The only one I know for sure is 17dx. You need a cs, it or is degree, or a stem degree and 24 units worth of it coursework.

All I can find is ang stuff online. I'm sure recruiters have the specifics.
>>
>>29781034
Tanks. Abrams specifically
>>
>>29781615

That is when I got mine, it took six months after I got to my unit and I was running of an interim secret in the meanwhile.

I have seen people on 4chan claim to get them in boot but they are likely full of shit as it makes no sense to give a clearance to someone who isn't even a military member yet.
>>
>>29781295
No 68W slots available yesterday. Hope you get lucky.
>>
>>29781672
17dx is what again?
>>
>>29781672
Recruiters won't want to talk to you, they get paid for sending people to Texas, not to college.
>>
Posted in here a few times over the past couple of threads.
Recruiters are really trying to fill those 35N seats, along with the usual 92G, 88M, and 74D.
Was looking at a memo urging them to funnel people into these.
They're pretty pissed that I'm holding out for an 11x, which STILL isn't available.
>>
>>29781733

I mean to imply that you should talk to a recruiter if you're a college grad or a graduating senior.

You're right though, most recruiters will just refer kids looking to get into rotc to a website; they probably figure that if you're not competent enough to google factual information then you probably aren't serious about college and will just be a waste of their time.
>>
AFROTC anon send me an email, we'll be able to talk a bit more.
Nuggetsonnuggets @ gmail .com
>>
>>29781718
Recruiter said he'll lock it down for me. I gotta take the ASVAB again but he's gonna have me test and lock me a spot before I even go to MEPS.
>>
>>29781777
Make sure it's in your contract. You may have heard it a million times but half the army and marines got screwed into shit MOS because their recruiter said they would lock it down for them.
>>
>>29781789
Oh I know it.
Definitely getting 68W, going to try and also get a jump school slot.
>>
>>29781777
Recruiters say a lot of things. When are you aiming to ship?
>>
>>29781747

I heard 13F and 19D were in demand right now too right?
>>
>>29781865
13F has popped up a couple of times.
I have checked every day for the past week or so to see what is available.
13F has popped up two times, and each time only one slot. I have not seen 19D at all.
This information is relevent if you intend to ship in the next few months, and not if you enter DEP for like a year.
>>
Is your all's 35x MOS or whatever linguists? Like our 1A8X1s and 1N3s?
>>
>>29781955
Nah 35 series is just intel in general. A couple are linquist positions, but not all
>>
>>29781690
this makes sense, thanks. what did they have you doing with a secret? just maintaining the other guys clearances?
>>
>>29781482
No. You can be a pilot with literally any degree.
>>
>>29781747
me and 2 other guys took 35N over our first picks. i saw a bunch of people taking 88M and 92G based on their ASVAB scores. i was confused as to why someone would do that, so i asked a kid if he got a bonus for signing 92G for 5 years
>no bonus, ships in 3 weeks
>>
>>29782119

Needed one to handle crypto keys and work on a ballistics radar system.
>>
>>29781955
35P is linguist, i saw a kid take fucking psyops because there were no linguist positions available, and a chick took 35Q or T, can't remember, because 35F wasn't available
>>
>>29782143
Yea, I didn't mean to imply that 35N is a bad choice. The others are certainly are, but 35N is alright.
>>
>>29782155
MOS?
>>
>>29782182
nobody will tell me EXACTLY what they do, so i can take that as its super secret awesome shit, or its just shit
>>
>>29782143

Not that guy but Im prolly going to start the enlistment process in the next couple of months. Gunna hold out for 11X, 19D, or 13F. Possibly a 35 series or PSYOPS if I can get an airborne slot. Have a real job so Ive got nothing but time to wait for a slot
>>
>>29782205
What? Google it, anon. It's a very simple job. What they do is public knowledge. Last thread was even talking about it.
You're an analyst. You analyze information and try to spot what's important.
>>
>>29782249
And you compile reports. In fact, reports are the meat of it.
>>
>>29782269
>>29782249
sounds like every 35 series
>>
>>29782183

5942, I think it is like 5948 now because they merged the intro and advanced courses.
>>
>>29782297
The whole intelligence field is "you guys trawl through this pile of junk, pick out the shiny bits, and present them on my desk tomorrow".
>>
>>29782366

That's the whole of analysis for you. Intelligence also involves collection, but there's a dozen people analyzing intelligence for every one person collecting it.
>>
Oh come on now.
How can it be this hard to find an infantry slot?
>>
>>29783024

Infantry is a huge job field, but it is also one of the job fields most hit by current drawdowns. In a mainly peacetime military that only deploys SOF and support, vanilla infantry is one of the least useful job skills. Plus the short train-up time for infantry means as long as we retain some experienced NCOs we can make a few hundred thousand infantry fairly quickly if we need them.
>>
>>29783024

We aren't fighting a war.
>>
>>29783061
>>29783066
There were sixty slots a week ago. Just need to get lucky.
>>
>>29781777
Your recruiter will promise you an entry spot in delta force if it means he gets his commission.
>>
Going to try for 14NX because why the fuck not.

Is HUMINT cooler than SIGINT?
>>
>>29783151
Yes.
>>
>>29783116
>Recruiters get commission

No, anon, recruiters just get shit on less when they make mission, they don't earn a commission.
>>
>all this kids getting their panties in a bunch over milshit

apex kek faggots enjoy wasting your youth as a slave to the international corporate jew, makes sure to thank me when you get out and my trade job paysthe taxes for your homeless shelters and VA antidepressants.

-any dog can kill for his master but only a wolf will fight for his own liberty-
>>
>>29778687
you just got memed, son
>>
>>29783276
They do get a fancy gold ring or award depending on how good they are at their job, but it doesn't relate to their numbers.
>>
>>29783317
>enjoy wasting your youth as a slave to the international corporate jew,
As opposed to what? Working at McDonalds for 8$ an hour? Going to college and working as a middle manager at some jew owned business?
You work for the jew in one way or another my friend
>>
>>29783317
also
>Liberty
Liberty is tool of the jew and a degenerate ideology

watch this for more ingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUO9L577GS4
>>
If I get gay married to my friend when I enlist so we can be roommates and I can live off base, would I get in trouble if they found out that's why I married him?
>>
>>29783453
Nope, I did th same thing with my GF at the time when I enlisted 2 years ago
We had only been dating for 6 months, and she suggusted we just get married when I enlisted so that we could stay together, having a wife on base is pretty shit though, even though we aggread that we are only "married" in a legal sense and we are still technically just boyfriend and girlfriend, a lot of time she acts like she is my real wife and is a bitch :/
>>
File: 1438052573075.png (21 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1438052573075.png
21 KB, 420x300
>>29783453
hahaha what a fag, he got gay married
>>
>>29783317
>t. neet anon
>>
>>29783482
Yeah, but that anon is talking about some totally no homo gay marriage.
>>
>>29783560
I mean, he's gay and I'm bi, so there'd probably be some homoness going down on occasion.
>>
>>29783453
Adultery is still prosecutable in the UCMJ. So if you are caught in a relationship outside of that marriage you get get in a lot of trouble. they can't really prove you aren't "in love", unless you tell everyone that you're just doing it for the benefits, so you have to be comfortable with people thinking you're gay for being married to another man.
>>
>>29783738
I can't just say we have an open relationship?
>>
>>29783752
There are three elements to article 134, which covers adultery. All three must be met to be punishable.

>(1) That the accused wrongfully had sexual intercourse with a certain person

>(2) That, at the time, the accused or the other person was married to someone else

>(3) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

The first two are straight forward, but the third is rather ambiguous. You can try to gamble and hope that it works, but depending on who your officers are, they can easily fry you. Most likely, if they can definitively prove the first two, you are fucked. The military is very traditional, so the concept of marriage is most likely going to remain traditional. Not in the sense of only heterosexual marriage but the idea if sex only being between the spouses and not outside partners.
>>
>>29783752

No. Adultery is illegal under the UCMJ
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>29783579
thats pretty gay
>>29783866
so that covers the guy but not the girl fucking jody? thats pretty gay
>>
>>29784012
The UCMJ can only apply to military members. Unless the body or spouse is military, the military can't do anything about it.

Also, to anyone reading: if you are married and divorce seems likely, be sure you go to the on base lawyer first. The military will only finance one lawyer for divorce for a family, so make sure you get it instead if having to pay for a lawyer out in town.
>>
To my utter surprise this comparably old fag lawyer is making his way through the recruitment for the British Army reserves. Anyone in here joined?
>>
>>29777827
hey OP, this should probably be added to the sticky for guys that want to join the teams

http://www.sealswcc.com/
>>
I'm interested in joining the Navy for CTI/foreign language. I know a fair amount of Japanese, but I'm guessing that's useless? Do I have to pick between Middle Eastern languages, Russian, Chinese, or Korean? Those seem like the only ones in demand.
>>
>>29783873
Is it technically adultery if the spouse is cool with it?
>>
File: 1445734283084.jpg (277 KB, 1024x807) Image search: [Google]
1445734283084.jpg
277 KB, 1024x807
How does joining SF groups while you're already in the military work?

Let's say you're a generic infantry grunt in the Marines. Do you need to have certain requirements to be able to try out for SF or can you just sign up?
>>
>>29784155
the military doesn't care about your or your partner's feelings, that's not why they have those laws. they have those laws because adultery can be bad for morale and because of issues with blackmail and leverage. so it takes the usual military view of things and shuts it all down completely.
>>
>>29784169

It used to be that only people already in the military could try out, the whole 18x, option 40 business is new because they have so many slots to fill.

Air force is still that way though. You have to enter in one AFSC and ask to reclass once you're in.
>>
>>29784169
Are you currently a marine? You should be able to get all the information about joining MARSOC you need from your chain of command. You need to be a marine for a while before you can join as well.
>>
>>29784209

No, I'm not enlisted.
>>
>>29784169

In the Marine Corps a guy of any mos can sign up for indoc. Spergs like to make shit up and claim that you need to be an 03 but it is simply not true, google will tell you that much.
>>
>>29784155

Yes.
>>
So if I wanted to try to land 35M as my MOS, how should I go about that? Do I just tell the recruiter that's what I want to do? Or do I just say I want to work in intelligence?
>>
>>29784456

A recruiter just straight up told me that 35M comes up a lot and he could get me it. I'm going air force, but it was tempting.
>>
>>29784182
But...if my spouse is cool with it, how is he going to blackmail me? How is it going to hurt my morale?
>>
>>29777827
Quick question: if I goto MEPS but missed my ship date (had to go out of town for something), can I still say that im a veteran? I tried to get a discount last november at bob evans but the stupid bitch wouldnt give it to me without an id
>>
>>29784456
35M is not offered a lot now. get your ASVAB and DLAB and physical out of the way, then just keep pestering your recruiter till it opens up. they only ship once a year now, too. September or October some will probably open up
>>
>>29784464
wrong. its super over staffed right now.

>t. guy who's been trying to get HUMINT for 4 months, finally just signed for something else because i'm tired of waiting
>>
>>29784502

>he only waited for four fucking months

Christ dude, it's the next 4+ years of your life.
>>
My 30 year old brother in law just got into the Army. He's kinda tubby but he's a hard worker and is Lebanese, so he's fluent in Arabic. What's he in for? He's in Tacoma, so I think he's going to Ft. Lewis.
>>
>>29784485
>>29784502
As someone who did intel (old 96 series), don't waste your time. Those are years doing pointless dry shit that impacted nothing and provided zero transferrable skills. In fact, they taught a laundry list of presentation "skills" that I had to thoroughly unlearn before getting into a civilian profession.
>>
File: 1455763204929.jpg (126 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455763204929.jpg
126 KB, 640x480
>>29784533
>Army
>He's kinda tubby

He'll be right at home
>>
>>29784510
i did my research senpai. i took my backup, I'm happy with it.

>originally wanted to go 35M to 35L
>found out 35M is badass but not used correctly anymore
>found out Lima isn't as badass as i thought it was
>took another intel job with great schools and classes
>worst case scenario i will reclass when i reup in 4 years if i'm still feeling the urge
>>
>>29784562
That photo,
Seen it literally with every single different nation mentioned as being both the ones that fight like animals and being shit.
>>
>>29784544
I kind of want to turn it into a law degree and try for a position at the FBI later in life though, so I feel like it would really apply.

Or am I just retarded?
>>
>>29784577
Propaganda. It works.
>>
>>29784577

Welcome to the internet.
>>
>>29784577

> There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

> Hell, these are Marines. Men like them held Guadalcanal and took Iwo Jima. Bagdad ain't shit.
- Marine Major General John F. Kelly

> The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!
- MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

> Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines.
- Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

> Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights.
- Navy Times; November 1994

> I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!
- General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur; Korea, 21 September 1950

> I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world.
- Prime Minister of Britain, Sir Winston Churchhill

I could fucking go on, but I think the message is clear: you POGs on here need to go kill yourselves right now.
>>
>>29784574
>>29784544

basically what i found out, thanks for confirmation
>>
File: lt patton.jpg (2 MB, 2848x2256) Image search: [Google]
lt patton.jpg
2 MB, 2848x2256
>>29784609
>Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines.
>- Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
You rang, sir?
>>
>Marines
>Army
It's a pretty simple choice for anyone considering enlistment
Do you want to:
>Be a marine
>Guarantee what job you'll do in the military before basic
>>
>>29784750

Please stop perpetuating the "Marines get random job fields assigned to them" meme.

If you sign for 03 then you deserve what happens.
>>
>>29784750
Let me put it this way. remember that scene in 300 where the kind asks the faggot athenians what their professions where

> hurr farmer hurrr

then he asks the spartans and they cheer and oorah like a pack of fucking warriors?

That's the difference between the army (a job) and marines (a band of actual modern daya dedicated warriors).
>>
>>29784788
>Be a marine
>Guarantee what job you'll do in the military

>Pick your top three wide-net job fields and probably get one of them
>Pick the exact job you'll do in the military.
>>
>>29784477
>it's not abuse, she doesn't mind when i knock her teeth out

that's what you sound like. again, no one cares about feelings, you've been told this already but you refuse to listen to what you don't want to hear.

who said anything about your spouse blackmailing you? petraeus was shitcanned because he had a mistress and he passed her info. if he hadn't been fucking her outside of marriage in the first place it would not have happened. no one was blackmailing him. leverage means anyone who can use anything to influence you, including better blowjobs than your spouse. the laws are intended to stop you from fucking people in the first place who could potentially be looking for insider knowledge or influence., and if you do, they give your command something to assfuck you with. and they do this, essentially, by legally barring you from fucking anyone outside of your marriage. they're also intended from stopping you from fucking other people like your workmate's spouses and girlfriends, in order to preserve morale. it is safer for the military to just come down on everything, and doing so gives your command a lot of room to move if there is any sort of issue, so that's what they do.

it's not hard to understand, are you some kind of fucking moron or something?
>>
I enlisted a few months ago and chose to add option 40, but I really don't know what that entails. My MOS is 35N so I really don't understand where the Ranger aspect comes into play.
>>
There is only one OSUT location for army infantry right? When does the school operate? Year round? When will they start the next class?
>>
>>29785089
they need support personnel. i wish i got option 40 with mine, i'm just going to max PT and work hard at AIT. when do you ship?
>>
>>29784799
fucking hell, this shit again.

you're not even a marine, are you
>>
>>29785089
sup nay
>>
>>29785089
You will go through a bunch of crazy bullshit to see if you can cut it in the 75th. That's it. The 75th uses 35N, so you'll be a 35N in that unit if you make it through the selection. If you don't? You'll just be a 35N in another unit.
>>
>>29785116
So does that mean that I'm going to see combat? I ship August 9th.
>>
>>29785160
hell no
>>
>>29785160
Absolutely never, even if we went to war tonight through six years from now.
>>
>>29785160
if you're on a SOT-A team you might be there while your team is in combat, like standing pretty close to the guys in combat
>>
>>29785143
What kind of crazy bullshit are they gonna put me through?
>>
>>29785220
This is what I was trying to go for in the long term, but since I'm a graduating senior I'm not old enough to go through SF training.
>>
>>29784481
Yes.
>>
for all fellow 35N about to get in, this might be interesting to you. basically we can kiss any sort of deployment goodbye, unless we're incredibly lucky and get attached to Group out of AIT.

http://m.army.mil/article/158947

i was talking to another 35N at MEPS, we're going to Sill at the same time, but then I'm going to Goodfellow and he's going to Gordon for AIT.
Does anyone know how this might affect our first orders? would he just stay at Gordon? Do i have a better shot going to a fun unit because i'm not going to Gordon for school?
>>
>>29785250
they're gonna punch you in the balls for a week. an entire. week. that's why it's called hell week, it's seven days of dick punching.

enjoy.
>>
File: 1410544871046.jpg (68 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1410544871046.jpg
68 KB, 500x334
>>29784609
>I am convinced that there is no smarter
>>
>>29785499
It's called google you lazy fuck
this information isn't hard to find
>>
File: image.png (3 KB, 217x219) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 KB, 217x219
>>29784799
>>29784640
>>29784609
>>29784562
This shit is so embarrassing.

People like this are the awkward JROTC kid in high school and then later the drunk fat braggart with the bad tattoos and the NEVAR 5GET shirt down at the VFW.
>>
>>29785403
It's 5 days
>>
So I guess this is my life now. Sitting in /meg/ and bugging a recruiter every day to check for the mos I want.
Who else is wasting their fucking time, mates?
>>
>>29784609
>the message is clear: you POGs on here need to go kill yourselves right now

can you post a vocaroo of you stuttering this out in your whiny little pussyboy voice?
>>
So I am seriously considering applying for OCS, either in the Army or Marine Corps. I don't want to be "that guy" 2LT though, any tips?

In addition, could somebody give me serious rundown on just what the daily life of an officer is actually like.

Last, I would like to get involved in some kind of federal law enforcement afterwards, should I go for MPs or Military Intelligence?
>>
>>29785667
What did you go to school for?
>>
>>29785654
i'm here with you until the 23rd, then I'll probably shitpost wildly from AIT
>>
>>29785667

Sorry, probably should have included that.
I will have two degrees when I graduate, History and Pre-Law/Criminal Justice.

Yeah I know, Liberal Arts college meme, but that is a major reason why I'm considering military. I've come to the realization that my only real skills are reading comprehension, writing, decent physical fitness, and a likable personality. I want to gain experience and skills which will help me in the future.
>>
>>29785499
yes i just gave it to you
>>
>>29785635
standards are dropping
>>
>>29785736
no, now its dick kicking
>>
>>29785747
i see, obviously the terrain they have been fighting in requires more leg work
>>
>>29785679
>>29785723

Fuck its late, luckily this thread is pretty slow.
>>
>>29785723
As long as you have at least a 3.0, some alright experience, and can score at least a 280 on the PFT, you have a shot.
>>
>>29785891
I have a shit GPA in the mid 2.XX range in a strategic language major (think either Chinese/Russian/Arabic), but good grades in my last two years of college and experience working in an entry level position at an organization specializing in analyzing the military of the country whose language I study. This organization is staffed pretty much entirely by former intelligence officers and region specialists. I got in based on good letters of recommendation from professors and language skills.

I want to go to OCS when I'm done at this place. Will my GPA sink me?
>>
>>29785966
Why are you being so vague? You can get better advice if you're more up front.
>>
>>29785966
No one can tell you. Your GPA will definitely hurt you, but your chances are 0% if you don't try.

Try to make everything else about your package great, and without a doubt aim for maxing out the PFT. Especially for the Muhreens.

Also, if you try to go USMC, I can almost guarantee you they will try to sell you on joining the reserves.
>>
>>29785891
I have a 3.97, but no real experience to speak of. I mean I have worked manual labor jobs during the summer, and I've interned at a Commonwealth Attorney's office, and I like weapons, but that's about it.

What exactly would be some good experience to have?
>>
>>29786019
Any leadership experiences at all, like president of a club, summer youth camp coordinator. Basically shit that shows you experience being a leader in some way.
>>
>>29785992
Fair enough. What the hell.

GPA is 2.6. Was in a club sports team for two years (junior and senior year) and consider myself pretty physically fit. I run and lift. I study Chinese. I have an internship at a DC defense think tank doing translation, editing, and basic analysis that is active now (long distance, part time, at least), but where I'll work full time once I graduate in a few weeks.

Will the bad GPA wreck my chances?
>>
>>29786034
It will no doubt hurt you. But go for it, if you really want it. Just make everything else in your package is good, you need to make up for your gpa somehow.

As long as they don't have a cutoff, you have a chance.

In november last year the average select GPA for Army was like 3.1. So I'm sure there were people in that board who were select with a gpa not too far off yours.
>>
>>29786034
>2.6
Okay, that's certainly better than 2.2, but you're really pushing it. Anyone you work with hold a particularly notable rank while in? That can help.
The GPA by itself will not sink you. Not necessarily. If you're savvy enough to deserve the spot, you can make up for it with the right support in your packet. Also, the reserves isn't always a bad idea. It's actually a decent choice if you're just looking for some skills.
>>
>>29786055
>cutoff
Luckily, he's not THAT screwed.
>>
>>29786104
Yeah, if he told me he wanted to be a doctor I would tell him he is screwed.

And even then there are options..
>>
>>29786032

Oh, well I am the president of my university's local chapter of the National Criminal Justice Honor Society, I suppose something like that would fit, given that criteria.

In addition, I will have accumulated close to 1,300 hours of volunteer community service work at graduation.
>>
>>29786089
>anyone you work with hold a particularly notable rank while in?

Yep. That's the plan: this is a second chance to make up for screwing around my first two years in college... work my ass off, impress some important people, make great impressions, and bag some good letters of recommendation.

Needless to say, I didn't put my mediocre GPA on my application for this internship. I've heard that for most employers, unless you have an exemplary GPA, a 3.9, something like that, to not even bother listing it. The military obviously is an exception to this, as a lot of branches have minimum GPAs for specific jobs and regardless of branch, the boards seem to weigh it pretty heavily in their decision.
>>
>>29786113
There's always the US Virgin Islands!
>>
>>29786813
With about literally a 50% chance of matching in the US.

$200,000+ for a 50% chance to be a physician in the US. I will never understand why anyone goes to those Caribbean schools.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 250x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 250x324
>>29786863
For the hot island bitches
>>
>>29786863
50% is better than 0%.

Besides, the market needs doctors. There's a decent chance of scoring a GP spot in a small town somewhere.
>>
File: caribschoolslol.png (70 KB, 1297x396) Image search: [Google]
caribschoolslol.png
70 KB, 1297x396
>>29786892
Well at least they can drown their sorrow in whores on their match day.
>>
>>29786911
Surely these guys can practice in Puerto Rico or some shithole.
>>
>>29786925
Nah, I'm partially just joking and trashing on the Carib schools. They do legitimately have a chance to practice in the US, and a lot do. But the oods are stacked up against them heavily.

US residency programs go like this in priority

US MD > US DO > IMG applicants
>>
>>29786962
I know nothing about med school, I'm the Chinese major. I genuinely wouldn't mind being a doctor out in a third would country. Seems like a real adventure, or at least more fun than treating old people and the obese in an American hospital.
>>
>>29787015
If it's something that interested you go for it. It's a very rewarding field for those who enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of medical schools in other countries. Only the US.

But I can say if you get an MD in the US, it would probably be pretty easy to practice in a third world country.
>>
>>29787041
Nah I'm doing something else entirely. Not trying to learn a whole new specialty.
>>
whats the diff between Cav Scout and Infantry??
i wanna b a sniper which one do i pick?
>>
File: 1416315497435.png (2 MB, 987x720) Image search: [Google]
1416315497435.png
2 MB, 987x720
>>29777827
I work at AT&T as a salesman and I have got to ask

Why the FUCK are military members the most annoying self entitled fucknuggets in my store who want me to get them a new phone, lower their plan, transfer all their shit for them, and they never buy any cases or screen covers or anything despite having some of the best discounts via their service?

I support our troops and acknowledge the sacrifice it takes to give one's own life to their nation but holy fucking shit you people are insufferable cunts.

>yeah go get me this phone
>nah I don't need a case
>nah I got a car charger from 4 years ago
>look I don't want anything I'll just get it elsewhere
>ok I need my contacts and 5,342 photos and 80 2 minute long videos and my memos and you need to set up these 3 emails that need POP3 credentials I don't know also I don't know my password for gmail or facebook

Not every but most of the time I work with military I wish you'd died overseas. Don't know if it makes any difference but they are almost all air force.
>>
>>29787667
>Halp, military won't buy retarded overpriced phone accessories even with a discount off the massive markup.
>Assholes are always wanting me to do my job by selling them phones and getting them set up.

Don't worry, anon, one day you will get a real job.
>>
collegefag here
should i join the national guard or army reserves?
>>
>>29787625
I heard they finally let women into the infantry. I wonder if that means they'll start letting men into the cav scouts.
>>
>>29783317
*tips fedora*
>>
>>29783482
Uhh... But she is your wife... Also you dun fucked up. What happens when you break up and she is pissed at you? She has legal right to your shit dumbass

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
ask me army stuff Ill try to help
>>
>>29790151
are the showers cold
>>
>>29790151

What's it like being an A/V nerd in camo?
>>
>>29781034
>>29781683

>tell me about 19k and tanks

I was a 19k for a few years, its an okay job for combat arms.
junior enlisted are drivers and loaders, you'll get trained to do both but your platoon will usually make you "officially" one or the other.
I was a driver, an Abrams has a steering/throttle assembly kinda like a motor bike, the transmission shifter is on the steering assembly too, your break is at your feet like a car.

if you or anyone else has a more specific question about being a tank crewman I might be able to answer.
>>
>>29790220
no, but theres a minigun in our shower right now
>>29790256
its nice, I do more stuff with broadcast though
>>
>>29790476
is it there so if someone grabs your wang they get BRRRRRT'ed?
>>
>>29790476
>>29790511
also i meant are the showers cold in basic, not day to day life
>>
>>29790511
pretty much
>>
>>29790524

Does it fucking matter?
>>
>>29790524
no, just try to be first in to get warm, wet, and wild

>>29790558
a warm shower makes life better matey
>>
>>29790558
honestly no, i'm just bored and looking for some new question to ask before i ship out
>>
>>29790597
the showers were fine at fort knox other than having to share them with two platoons worth of recruits.

what MOS did you get?
>>
>>29790641
68w, got a decent 13k bonus
>>
>>29790641
>>29790650
oh, and i'll be going to ft. sill
>>
>>29790650

Howd you manage that?
>>
>>29790672
97 asvab, cross country runner (probably has nothing to do with that) and i live in the volunteer state (may also have nothing to do with it) they wanted me to be a 14T for 40k but i backed out when i learned that it was a shit job
>>
>>29790702

Literally nothing you just listed determines bonuses.
>>
>>29790710
well i have no fucking clue then, i was just trying to think of something that would explain it. they said it was "bonus season" at the rec. office
>>
>>29777827
So I guess now that we're not really warring anymore 1A7X1 isn't going to be available anymore?
>>
>>29790728
Literally nothing other than you signed up at the right place at the right time.
>>
>>29790757
it's because i put all my points into luck
>>
>>29777827

Any 13Fs lurkin?
>>
>>29787667

A lot of kiddies joined currently because they read on facebook about how military members get their dicks sucked by businesses. Now you have a bunch of faggots in who want nothing but the gi bill, tuition assistance, and a discount at panda express.

They also enjoy taking pictures of themselves in dress uniforms. Military is gay as fuck these days, that is why the anti-military sentiment is growing so much.
>>
>>29790862
People join because the military benefits are actually good unlike prior to 9/11.
>>
>>29790650
>>29790672
>>29790710
>>29790728
It's a May priority MOS.
Not enough people are signing up for it, so they add incentives. That's it. It's not getting sign ups because everyone knows you can get fucked and be a bedpan technician for your entire time in service if you get assigned the wrong place.
>>
>>29790944

Do you make a living rewording things that other people say?
>>
Anyone meeting with a recruiter today able to do me a favor? My office doesn't operate on Saturdays, but many recruiters meet with people on Saturdays. I'd appreciate anyone being able to check if 11x is available for reservation today. (Active service)
>>
>>29791002

Highly doubtful unless you have a vagina. If you do, a spot will magically appear.
>>
>>29791014
They're popping up periodically. 200 a month ago that got filled, then ~130 on the system again two weeks ago. Just need to keep checking.
>>
>>29791034

Is that including Airborne and Opt 40 slots?
>>
>>29791034

Any idea about 13F and 19D?
>>
>>29791002
> Tfw I got one last week
>>
>>29791058

Ship date?
>>
>>29791043
Hell no.
>>29791054
I have seen two 13F in the past month. I have seen zero 19D. It's possible, but highly unlikely, that I've missed a swath.
>>
don't join the military you fucking idiots. want to die for nothing? get trained as a civilian holy fuck
>>
>>29791120

You a recruiter anon or just waiting on a contract?

If so, whatcha waitin on?
>>
>>29791137

>Stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>29791140
This information is for a 99 ASVAB, 111111 PULHES Profile, out of highschool Army applicant that will ship in the next 3-4 months. There are more options for current highschool students that enter the DEP and will ship farther in the future.
I'm a sucker.
>Guess which kind
>>
>>29791219

So what you're telling me is as a 24 year old who hasnt been in school since HS that'll prolly have a "meh" ASVAB Im gunna be waiting a LONG while for 11X 13F or 19D? Not an issue as I have a good job, but kinda disheartening.
>>
>>29791137
Kek. My civilian job was more dangerous than my military one. Paid less too.
>>
>>29791333
No, I listed those prerequisites because entering in an applicant that meets that criteria is eligible for any job. Entering an eligible-for-any-job applicant means I can easily see EVERYTHING that is available.

If you meet the baseline, and the job is available, you will see it populate.
>>
>>29791371

Ohhhh Im trackin.

In your opinion, if Im wanting to stay in for a career worthy length of time in what is shaping up to be a garrison Army, what should I look towards MOS series wise?
>>
>>29791333
If you're worried about the ASVAB get the Barron's study guide.

I scored a 40 on the practice test, and an 81 on the real ASVAB with that book.
>>
>>29791389
>garrison Army
Turn on the news real quick. I don't see that being the case for long.
Of course, that's just a random opinion. Qualify for intel, then take your pick. Cushy, promotable depending on your pick, predictable.
>>
>>29791333
Nah, those are fairly common jobs. Just be patient and persistent.
>>
>>29791403

Not worried about my score per-say I'll be in the high 70s or 80s, just know Ill blow the math section due to being out of school for so long.

>>29791406

Slots for 35 series coming up pretty steady? Thanks for answering questions btw.
>>
>>29791406
The news will have you believe we're one day from WW3 constantly because that shit sells.

The fact is that the world is fairly stable right now, barring North Korea doing something insane.
>>
>>29791431
35N is a priority MOS right now and a recruiter would try to funnel you into it if you talk to one soon. Pretty nice bonuses getting attached as well. Not a bad job. I actually considered it myself two years ago.
>>
>>29791444
What? I had no idea!
I mean the news right now.
We tend not to like it when Baghdad has a problem.
>>
>>29791459

Could always take it and reclass into 35L or 37F when I meet the requirements correct?
>>
>>29791468
35N is understaffed. That's why it's a priority. If it stays understaffed, it would be difficult to move out of.
>>
>>29791431
Same thing with me. My worst section with Math knowledge and Arithmetic reasoning, just get a cheap study guide, I bought the Barron's one for $5 off Amazon and it definitely helped me.
>>
>>29791486

Cant seem to find a lot on 35N via a quick google outside of whats on the Armys site.

Can you red pill me?
>>
>>29791522

>>29782249
>>29782366
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.