[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't the military consider a magnum revolver for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (7 KB, 350x216) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
7 KB, 350x216
Why doesn't the military consider a magnum revolver for their sidearm?
>>
>>29579940
Capacity.
>>
File: gethimlittlebuddy.png (865 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gethimlittlebuddy.png
865 KB, 1280x1024
>>29579940
Doesn't have enough clips to be assault capable.
>>
>>29579940
Because inferior.
>Next
>>
>>29579943
Dual wield? Like the cowboys?

>mfw the US army get cowboy hats with camo and starts dual wielding revolvers in the Mideast
>>
>>29579943
This. Some places use some has a breaching gun and for base guard guns for ones that don't carry rifles. But that's pretty much it. Only gonna see revolvers in military's the darker, and browner Asian they get.
>>
>>29579940
Japan's gun of choice for the officers that do get them is a revolver. Talking about police though. Says a lot about the gun though
>>
>>29579943

How much capcity do you really need for a gun that isn't going to be used as a primary infantry weapon?
>>
>>29579971
It's not a war of needs.
>>
>>29579940

It's probably reliability. Revolvers require good maintenance in order to run well. Issue guns tend not to be well-taken care of so firearms don't require a whole lot of special attention are more desirable.
>>
>>29579940
doubt a rifleman will care if your sidearm is shooting 9mm slugs or .500 magnum at him.

more ammo is probably more utility
>>
>>29579991

All wars about the fulfillment of needs.
>>
Slow rate of aimed fire, slow reload, low capacity.
>>
>>29579940
Sopping powaa and penetration : .357 Magnum is more powerful than 9x19mm or .45ACP for sure. On the other hand, all body armors that stop 9x19mm and .45ACP, also stop .357 Magnum. Result: .357 Magnum offers no big advantage in this regard.

Reliability: Revolvers are seen as more reliable than pistols. Guess what? It's a meme coming from the early 1900's where ammunition wasn't reliable. Modern ammunition is perfectly reliable. Also, the open gap between drum and barrel is a place where mud and debris might enter and clog the barrel. The pistol's action is more enclosed. Result: Revolvers offer no advantage in term of reliability over pistols.

Capacity: Revolvers have usually a capacity ranging between 5 to 8 rounds. A duty pistol has between 7 to 17. Result: Advantage to pistol.

Reload time: Most people are much quicker at reloading a pistol than a revolver. Result: Advantage pistol.
>>
>>29580327
Coming up on Deadliest Warrior...
>>
>>29580000

repeating digits of truth
>>
>>29579940
How about cost? Revolvers are much more expensive to produce than cheapo berettas or the likely plastic fantastics of the future.
>>
>>29580001
to be fair if you have a limit on how much a soldier can carry and how much you can spend you need to consider what fulfills your primary needs....
>>
>>29580351
That fucking good show though
One where can I stream it and
Two what happened to the show in spike tv now it's all bartenders crying and cops?
>>
>>29580379
Used to be able to stream it on spikes website if you had your carrier login. And yeah it has become the cops channel
>>
>>29579971

Considering the FBI said police miss roughly 75% of shots fired, they need capacity more than anything else
>>
>>29579940
They did, it's called the Manurhin and is still being used.
>>
>>29580001
I think he was making a joke ala "its not a bill of needs, its a bill of rights"
>>
The 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned is weight:
S&W 686 34.6 oz empty
Glock 19 30.18 oz LOADED
And weight is a big deal if you're humping for miles.
That was the primary reason for the SEAL's to switch from the 226
>>
>>29580528

But don't FBI normally just carry a single handgun?
>>
Google "Revolver torture test" and sit in awe of the minimal test results. You ask about it on forums and they reply "I think all those yes in the saddle are proof :^) " or "revolvers are just more reliable"

The best reason I've seen is that nobody wants to fuck up their revolver, but even then people will beat the shit out of guns that are only $100 cheaper while running a ton of ammo through it.

>>29580379
Yeah great show like when ranger/6.8spc combo cleared a house with MORE rounds on target FASTER than a nork with an akm. .but the victory went to the akm because "it's just got that big bullet"....great show.
>>
>>29580327
To be fair, the revolver can fail, but as I understand it is very very unlikely for it to fail in such a way that the hammer doesn't drop, it's more likely to have its timing fucked up.

This means that with a revolver there is more of a guarantee that the round you have currently under the hammer will go bang.
>>
>>29581921
Assblasted glock/arfag detected
>>
>>29579952
You know that was an actual tactic used with nugget revolvers for a brief period in the Russian military for suppression before remotely portable machine guns were a thing?
>>
>>29581984
You know the round under the hammer isn't the one that gets shot, right? It's the one to the left normally, but I'm sure there's some meme guns out there that go the other way
>>
>>29580000
fucking chek'd
>>
>>29582567
I don't own either. I grew up shooting revolvers, milsurp bolt guns and pumps.
The 3 guns that mean the most to me are a 3" model 65, a model 1894 and a Golden 39a from the 70s. I'm on /k/ because I love firearms and I can appreciate all of them. That doesn't mean I can't see their shortcomings.

Revolvers are magic, glocks do malfunction, AKs aren't barn blasting anti-material rifles. Maybe formulate an argument sometime
>>
>>29579940

Niggers tongue my anus
>>
>>29580528
>6 shots
>miss 75%
>.500 magnum
>one shot anywhere in your torso and you're fucking dead
>>
>>29579940
There's a reason most cops abandoned revolvers back in the 80's, revolvers don't have any advantages compared to pistols when it comes to combat or self defense. It's true that revolvers are more reliable than semi-autos, but when pistols like the M&P can go for thousands of rounds between cleanings without a malfunction, I think it's safe to say that semi-autos are as reliable as they need to be.

Magnum cartridges make it harder to line up quick follow up shots, which is essential. Revolvers take longer to reload, and with a low capacity you're going to be reloading more often. I have nothing against revolvers; they're good for hunting, and cowboy action shooting is a lot of gun, but they're an older design and it shows.
>>
>>29584190
I meant a lot of fun, but cowboy action shooting actually is a lot of gun.
>>
File: 9x19_PBP.jpg (15 KB, 355x300) Image search: [Google]
9x19_PBP.jpg
15 KB, 355x300
>>29580327
>body armors that stop 9x19mm
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (69 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
69 KB, 800x600
You can't expect 20 years of Pvt Snuffys to be responsible enough to do their jobs. A lot of issue M9s only have a prayer to keep them from falling apart. Revolvers are more sensitive to abuse and neglect that issue weapons are subject to than a auto-loader. How long do you think a timing or lockup problem would be identified and fixed? Probably years before anything is done.
>>
File: 1458854469844.jpg (738 KB, 1371x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458854469844.jpg
738 KB, 1371x1024
>>29579940
Special Forces (a.k.a. *actual* "Green Berets") carried Ruger revolvers on most of their ops in Vietnam; it was reasoned that they were very durable and each shot was pretty much a guaranteed kill (which works with their SOP of going as light as possible and trying to only engage in brief, small firefights at worst).
>look it up if you don't believe me
...but, of course, THIS is why *regular* troops don't carry magnum revolvers:
>>29580000
It's all about logistics when you're looking at grand strategy, after all; of course, you can always afford to allow your snowflakes to use whatever they might requisition or feel like buying with their own dosh.
>pic not a ruger
>>
>>29579940
>capacity
>ease of reload
>recoil and comfort
>needing to retool for a new caliber
>heavy as shit
if anyone was gonna consider a magnum it'd be the cops, but they tried that and it didn't really work well.
>>
>>29589068
This. Keep in mind for special forces and snipers, it isn't about volume of fire, it's about breaking out of engagements and calling in an airstrike or something.

All that Rambo shit is just the fucking movies. Real Green Berets are teaching guerillas how to fight, not waging a giant battle against the enemy like conventional forces.
>>
>>29589261
Fun fact, I was actually attached to a 3rd group team that had a team sargeant that used a 1911 as a sidearm
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.