[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
StarWars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Star-Killer.png (966 KB, 791x547) Image search: [Google]
Star-Killer.png
966 KB, 791x547
I could let the Death Star slide, that shit took years and years with slave labour to build, along with using advanced technology specifically developed for years.

But this shit, this shit is the largest "fuck you" to physics and fans of a given series I have ever seen.
>>
>>28254766
so the fact that there is gravity in space isnt a bigger fuck you? Its Sci-fantasy, not sci-fi
>>
>>28254766
http://vocaroo.com/i/s12C0VcPyORg
have sad song
>>
>>28254766
>Planets round due to gravity crushing rock into lowest energy state.
>Build into planet so much that structural failure at a single point causes planetary collapse.

How did they even get a permit for that thing?
>>
>>28254790
>gravity in space isn't a bigger fuck you?
Except there is gravity in space.
>>
File: 1446204228764.jpg (28 KB, 450x410) Image search: [Google]
1446204228764.jpg
28 KB, 450x410
>>28254766

>Complaining about realism in a universe that features literal space magic as a frequent plot device.

Star Wars is for little kids. Always has been.
>>
File: Halo_array_ark.jpg (358 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Halo_array_ark.jpg
358 KB, 1024x576
At least the Forerunner could build proper super weapons.
>>
>>28254812
you dont into common physics nomenclature, do you?

there is a reason its called Zero Gravity Environment. Its because you are feeling ZERO Gs while in a free-fall.
>>
>>28254841
What part are you referring to then?
>>
File: TheKillingStar.jpg (35 KB, 220x356) Image search: [Google]
TheKillingStar.jpg
35 KB, 220x356
>>28254840

>Needing superweapons in a universe with lightspeed travel
>>
>>28254853
>All Seven of the movies where they completely ignore orbital velocity requirements.

>All seven of the movies where they ignore the conservation of energy and "fly" in space

>Especially Episode 2 where the federation ship falls out of orbit straight down and people inside all of a sudden feel the planets gravity.

Which is why i think its a bigger fuck you than a planet sized death star that was in ONE movie.
>>
File: halo-obsessive-4.jpg (26 KB, 530x300) Image search: [Google]
halo-obsessive-4.jpg
26 KB, 530x300
>>28254869
How else are you going to keep the lesser species in their proper place?

While the Halos were built to wipe out all life in the Galaxy (originally a much larger area, but their affect was reduced when several rings were destroyed), most Forerunner super weapons were designed to police the galaxy and keep everybody in their place.

Considering the only thing that lead to their fall was them treating the Flood as a non-threat for too long, I'd say that super weapons served them quite well in maintaining power and order. I guess they were smart enough to not put load-bearing walls or vulnerable exhaust ports in all of their weapons.
>>
>>28254869
I try not to think about that sort of thing.
>>
>>28254916

>How else are you going to keep the lesser species in their proper place?

>Take mass of 1500 kg
>Accelerate to 30% of lightspeed
>Impact is enough to exceed all nuclear weapons currently in existence, put together.
>>
>>28254913
say what you will about startrek, but at least they know what reentry heating is.
>>
>>28254956
B-but that's not cool.
>>
>>28254956
The only problem with that is the weapon is either set to 100% destruction or nothing at all. It's nice to be able to control the amount of damage you want done if you're only policing a system. Besides, what if you don't want to level a place but only wipe out all military assets?

For all-out war, yeah, that'd be a viable approach and much better than 99% of super weapons portrayed in science fiction.
>>
The weapon takes solar plasma and accelerates it to hyperspace velocity.
>>
>>28254988
use smaller masses, accelerated to a slightly lower % of c, so you can choose various output energies.
>>
>>28254841
You're thinking of zero-g environments. Sounds similar, but zero-g does /not/ at all mean zero gravity (and neither does the term weightlessness, for that matter). An environment featuring no gravity whatsoever does not exist within the known universe, as such an environment would need to be isolated as well as entirely devoid of mass.

The poster you're quoting is entirely correct. Even the tiniest bit of mass is exerting a gravitational pull on the entire universe (yup, that means everything and everybody's attracted to your dick).

Look up g-forces and microgravity if you're actually interested. It's OK not to know something - everybody's gotta learn stuff at some point. Don't tell people they're wrong when you haven't actually done that though. Just makes you look like an ass. Cheers.
>>
>>28255021
The energy output isn't really the problem when controlling something like an uprising on planet with a lower tier civilization, the problem is the precision. Unless you could guide the mass and control the exact yield like a precision guided munition, then it's a strategic weapon and not a precision one.

To be clear, I agree that slugging large masses into planets at high speed is a superior way to destroy them or at least kill anything on them compared to most scifi weaponry. The only place where I think having a "true" super weapon (like a Guardian) is practical is if you're policing the planet and want to be able to convey power and deal with troublemakers in a precise way.

Plus there's the psychological effect. Knowing some greater species might drop an asteroid on your ass at near-light speeds for getting uppity is one thing. Actually seeing the super weapon in orbit observing your planet is quite another, because you can actually see it.
>>
>>28254766
>Give your soldiers masks
>It only filters smoke, not anything toxic

First Order is retarded.
>>
>>28254801
They built it in New Jersey and used their ties with the mob to bribe the building inspector.
"Yeah, this planet with a giant hole through the core seems legit. By the way, thank you for your generous 'contribution' to our political campaign."
>>
>>28255072
Also laws of momentum exist in space as well, so if you do a tight turn in a space fighter, you're going to feel the G's.
>>
>>28254766
Most modern Sci Fi has FTL drives, which shit s all over what we know about how the universe works. Everything else is gravy after that. And Star Wars has always been fantasy with science fiction trappings anyway.
>>
No one is talking about things on fire and the explosions in space?
K.

I personally think it would be bad ass if all the space battle scenes were dead silent, (except when camera angles were inside vehicles, of course), and destroyed ships didn't catch on fire or anything, but would implode and shoot debris everywhere. Maybe a small burst of flame would be realistic as the cabin's oxygen was released because of the damage.
>>
File: sdsd freudian nightmare.jpg (888 KB, 2240x1320) Image search: [Google]
sdsd freudian nightmare.jpg
888 KB, 2240x1320
>>28254766
>new directer feels like he has to outdo the moon size Deathstar that can destroy planets by making the planet size Star Killer that destroys entire solar system
Okay, this is just getting silly now. I thought that getting rid of the expanded universe was supposed to get rid of this silly shit, not outdo most of it in the first new movie. Also, why do the bad guys keep building ridiculous size superweapons with a single point of failure?
>>
>>28255363
Fire can exist in space in the sense it will burn from the air contained in ships. It wouldn't sit and smolder, but ships also wouldn't just crumple up.
>>
>>28254841
>there is a reason its called Zero Gravity Environment

that's actually an improper term. the correct term is microgravity.

all things have gravity to some extent, it's just a matter of scale. the reason the planets orbit the sun is because of the sun's gravity, for example.
>>
>>28255292
Well, you're not using clones with built in loyalty. You want some non destructive lethal options if a whole platoons or even companies have been on planet to long and have gotten chummy with the natives. Finn bears this out. Kidnapped at a young age, lived in a structured environment, fully indoctrinated in the First Order from before he can remember, and still goes off the reservation.
>>
>>28254916
>>28254956
>>28254971

Relativistic kill vehicle. Mmm
>>
>>28254988

>The only problem with that is the weapon is either set to 100% destruction or nothing at all.

There is a very easy fix to that:

Just reduce the mass and velocity.
>>
>>28255417
Look up the series "Star Carrier." The main weapon is projectiles moving at most of c.

Entire multiple kilometer wide asteroid ships get blown into pieces by one hit, everyone slings nukes around at lower speed, and shit's cool.
>>
>>28255391
Pissed me off that they even mentioned clones. Clones havent been used in approx 80 fucking years
>>
>>28254766
star wars in general in a massive fuck you to physics
>>
>>28255292
I thought this was one of the most retarded things in the movie. Why even wear a fucking mask if it doesn't do anything? How is toxic gas and smoke not the same thing?
>>
>>28256119
Wouldn't an r-bomb just make a hole in a ship though? Sure it would still deliver an arseload of kinetic energy on target, but surely not all of it?
>>
>>28254801
It was more "destroying devices that contained and regulated the matter/energy of a god damned star" caused it to fail, hence the formation of a star upon failure.
>>
>>28256212
Smaller particles. It's probably much more expensive to build a mask that filters out most toxic gases, especially of they aren't common weapons of war
>>
>>28254766
> Intergalactic travel faster than light
> Unlimited power available from compact reactors
> The Force

Are you really implying that with all this at your disposal, you couldn't build a planet sized cannon?
>>
Star Wars has never cared too much for actual science, don't worry about it
>>
>>28254766
Fuck off back to /tv/.
>>
How fucking old is R2D2 at this point?

>bought by the Naboo who fucking knows when
>used through the clone wars
>then used all the way up through the rebellion
>still in fucking sleep mode when the seventh movie starts

I couldn't even get a laptop to last 10 years, R2 is pushing 80.
>>
>>28256831
Spot the newfag namefag.
>>
>>28256945
The older parts of the Social Security and IRS databases are still kept on massive 20th century tape-drive computers in an abandoned Cold War era underground facility, and there's no real plan for replacing them any time soon.

In a futuristic setting where technological progress is basically finished, I could see robots lasting for decades or even centuries.
>>
The weak point was a vital conduit.
Seriously? They couldn't think of better shit? Does an entire planetary base not have backup systems in place? Wouldn't a vital conduit that can destroy the planet if overloaded be either hidden deep inside the core, or protected with as much weaponry and armor the First Order can throw at it?
Why was there a massive chain reaction? Is technology not advanced enough to make the planet into divided sectors that could individually flooded or shut down to protect the planet?
The Germans had this shit figured out in World War I. Their ships were well-built and had so many compartments that could be sealed and flooded.
The First Order doesn't even deserve to exist if it can't design a good planetary superweapon.
>>
>>28254766
>>28254801
hollow out a planet without losing gravity
cut a big band around the equator
make an energy sucking and holding matrix fuckamajig
build a gun barrel the size of Montana on it.
>>
>>28256995
Tape drives are used because they can store more data then hard drives. A tape drive is to a hard drive what a hard drive is to a solid state drive. But I cann see R2 lasting that long with good maintenance. There's some pretty old planes still in use I think, and that's much more stressful
>>
>>28255292
You now realize that First Order stormtroopers are worse than the older Imperial stormtroopers by that fact alone. Their armor was environmentally sealed.
>>
>>28254840
they built a machine to build galaxy killing ring planets...that works on its own so if you blow one ring up, it just spits out another and starts making more.
fuck yeah.
>>
>>28257143
I'm calling bullshit. They may have been that way at one point, but I've only ever seen the things in sizes up to 80GB and only used for 911 recordings.
>>
>>28257280
Tape drives are a VERY cheap method of static storage, dude. That's why they're still heavily utilized.
>>
>>28257280
LTO-6 tapes hold a few terabytes and cost about $30 each.
>>
File: 1450260381325.jpg (304 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
1450260381325.jpg
304 KB, 699x1211
>>28254766
>>
>>28256212
Do you know why they wear the mask?
>>
>>28257441
why do they wear the mask?
>>
>>28257280
>I've only ever seen

your personal life experience is not the same thing as what actually exists, faggot
>>
>>28257486
Because nobody cared who they were until they put on the mask!
>>
>>28257382
>>28257280
>>28257393
they also (supposedly) maintain the integrity of their data for longer than a HDD or SSD. it's slow as fuck to restore data that's been backed up to tape, though, and you can only read it sequentially
>>
>>28257143
The B52 fleet is going to be pushing 90 when they retire them in 2040.
>>
>>28257143
>Tape drives are used because they can store more data then hard drives.

Not really, it's moreso that it's old technology and the switching costs are pretty fucking enormous after a while. As someone who works for a company that sells 20-30 year old shit to telephone companies, I can tell you that tape drives are almost always used because of switching costs of replacing entire central office infrastructures is crazy.

Yes, your cell phone is essentially guaranteed to be using equipment that's older than you.
>>
>>28257394
Disney had to make a movie that would live up to the massive hype it was sure to have with episode 7 announced. People fucking loved ANH, so why not basically remake it so most fans won't be disappointed?
>>
>>28257782
>Yes, your cell phone is essentially guaranteed to be using equipment that's older than you.
dude, what?
>>
>>28256168
right, they hadn't, which is exactly why they were mentioned. There were schools of thought within the First Order that legitimately considered returning to clone soldiers, but the mainstream still considered indoctrinated draftees to be the better option.
>>
>>28256256
An r-bomb could initiate fusion when it hits IDF you get it fast enough. A relatively small projectile moving at a decent fraction of c could destroy a planet, or at least make it unlivable. Would impart momentum and shift orbit, ignite atmosphere, cause fusion, and blow a massive fucking hole in anything.
>>
>>28257886
what about the recoil from firing such a thing
>>
>>28256256
No, things moving that fast turn into subatomic particles from the impact. Then those particles (which still have all the mass) overwhelm the strong force and fly into other shit like a shotgun blast. In doing so they annihilate themselves and release a metric fuckload of heat and radiation.
>>
>>28257808
Essentially the entire backend system of every major telephone company is using equipment that's older than you are with a smattering of modern stuff.
>>
>>28255078

Reminds me of an old prison survey where they asked inmates what gun they feared the most,and the majority said a revolver because you can see the bullets in the cylinder and you know shit just got real.
>>
File: Sun_Crusher-NEGWT.jpg (41 KB, 500x853) Image search: [Google]
Sun_Crusher-NEGWT.jpg
41 KB, 500x853
No, that would be the Sun Crusher
The Sun Crusher was a nearly indestructible craft that was no larger than a starfighter, but was capable of unleashing destruction on a magnitude that dwarfed even the Death Star's capabilities. Unlike the Death Star, which destroyed individual planets, the Sun Crusher could destroy an entire star system by causing its target star to turn into a supernova

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher
>>
>death star 1 was a massive project that took decades to finish
>death star 2's rush job was a major draw on resources for a galaxy spanning empire
>first order is dicking around in the mid / outer rim
>build's something even more expensive than death star 2
I've always hated that the death star as a plot device was reused in Jedi. Absolutely thought it was stupid when I was 7 years old.
It's like JJ purpose built this to offend my autism. I can't take it /k/.
>>
>>28257920
As a wireless technician I can say your full retard. No one listen to this man.
>>
>>28257900
there isn't a "gun" that can "fire" anything other than particles at velocities close to the speed of light.

An r-bomb is usually just a rocket that can reach relativistic velocities, or mass that is ejected from an object traveling near c
>>
so what's the diddly-deal with these three factions, the Resistance, Republic, and First Order?

Are the Republic and FO two warring governments, each controlling its own sections of the galaxy with the Resistance operating in FO controlled space?
>>
>>28258057
>Are the Republic and FO two warring governments, each controlling its own sections of the galaxy with the Resistance operating in FO controlled space?

Yes. Precisely.
>>
File: 1428292652405.jpg (444 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
1428292652405.jpg
444 KB, 1920x1280
>>28258057
That's what I got from it. First Order is one of possibly many Empire splinter groups, the Republic is a resurgence of The Republic that keeps getting BTFO'd by the Evil People of The Day, and The Resistance is an evolution of the Rebels, and they probably keep taking it to the splinter group(s).
>>
>>28258057
Republic owns the core worlds, funds The Resistance as proxy fighters in the First Order controlled rim worlds.
>>
>>28257394
I went and watched g hat snoozefest today to see if this image had any merit, should have just trusted my gut and saved $6.50, I even have a copy of ANH that I could have watched.
>>
>>28257280
Tape has extremely high information density. It just has long read/write times, so it's typically just used for archival these days.
>>
>>28254916
Why the halos have water and terrains in them? (I haven't played the game but this always puzzled me)
>>
>>28258320
if your superweapon has to be a giant ring why not spin It and put a habitable surface on the inside for the ease of those operating it
>>
>>28255376
holy shit my sides
>>
>>28258320
The Halos served multiple roles. They were weapons, research facilities, and biological preserves (before the rings were fired and used as weapons).

It's important to note that the firing of the array was a literal last-ditch resort that only happened when all hope was lost.
>>
>>28257505
I've worked in various information centers for almost 7 years and only seen one that ever used data tapes.
>>
>>28257571
So in order to save money they put their data on a format that requires large amounts of slow and costly processing to retrieve any relevant information from
>>
>>28259009
Pretty much. Shit's old as hell, slow as hell, but if money is tight and you only retain data for legal purposes it seems a semi-viable route to take.
>>
>>28259009
Yes, that's why they're used for backup, not primary storage.

Look up the Amazon S3 (HDDs) storage costs VS amazon glacier (tape) storage costs. IIRC, tape is like a magnitude or more cheaper, but retrieval can cost a ton.
>>
>>28258320
if you've achieved the pinnacle of technology, why not?
>>
>>28259009
pretty much. it's the backup you take that you hope you never actually have to restore, but you had better have it just in case
>>
>>28255376

Fucking hilarious.

Anyway, if you want realistic space combat, watch The Expanse. Everything's a little glowy for my tastes, but it's still good. Way more realistic than BSG, anyway.
>>
>>28256256

It depends on how fast the r bomb is traveling and how massive the object it hits is.

A lump of tungsten the size of a telephone booth moving at .2c hitting a ship would likely leave a telephone booth-sized hole in the ship and generate some shockwaves in the hull. If it hits a planet, it's a dinosaur killer.
>>
File: nt-dms100-3.jpg (231 KB, 798x1141) Image search: [Google]
nt-dms100-3.jpg
231 KB, 798x1141
>>28258023
>works with wireless

Bet you've never even seen a central office.
>>
>>28258367

Because the Halos were so massive that they generated their own gravity without spin.
>>
>>28259179
My local AT&T hub looks just like this.
>>
File: 1449454183893.gif (443 KB, 203x199) Image search: [Google]
1449454183893.gif
443 KB, 203x199
>>28254766
I don't really care about the feasibility of this thing, I just think it's retarded that the best J.J. Abrams could come up with for the plot of the movie is "You know the Death Star 2? Well how about DEATH STAR 3: DEATH STARY-ER".

ABRAMS IS A HACK
B
R
A
M
S

I
S

A

H
A
C
K
>>
>>28259202
they are rotating, check out the Halo CE title screen

something that massive in radius doesn't have to spin very quickly for the centripetal acceleration to simulate gravity
>>
>>28257971

It could literally drive through a Star Destroyer, too. If memory serves it's armor was the definition of over powered.
>>
>>28259230

The spin would be more useful for keeping tidal forces from ripping the thing apart, but it's a video game. Whatever.
>>
>>28259225
The whole fucking thing was a direct lift from A New Hope, I can get a love letter homage, but this thing was a fucking reskin, the only redeeming factor was some of the visuals.
>>
>>28259210
Yeah, it's fucking absurd. I routinely handle 20-30,000 dollar nortel cards that haven't been in production for over a decade and are routinely repaired and put back into machines. The phone industry's backbone is antiquated as fuck. I feel like I'm some kind of Ad Mech enginseer handling archaeotech.
>>
>>28255327
Correcto. Within the space ship when it would change vectors, your body would feel the normal force.

In regards to gravity in space, well, it exists everywhere. The only real point is how close to a body of mass are you that affects gravity on you...as you also have gravity on objects around you...the amount simply varies with mass and distance.

With the Death Star in OP's post, you need to take into consideration several aspects: Normal force, angular momentum and centripetal force. All three of those aspects/forces can work to counteract any potential for the Death Star to implode on its self while in space, and away from any significant external gravitational force. Gravity is not constant, as much as the plebs like to think.
>>
>>28254956
Wouldn't work.

Any half-competent sci-fi civilization would see it coming for years. They would just construct some giant rockets on the planet's ass and push it out of the way for a few months, then push it back into place after the projectile has passed.
>>
>>28256168
Well think of the layperson who's last star wars movie was III
>>
>>28259422
that was everyone's last movie
>>
>>28259260
What kind of protocols do you use?

>comms anon here.
>>
File: Musel Iserlohn.webm (3 MB, 832x449) Image search: [Google]
Musel Iserlohn.webm
3 MB, 832x449
Star Trek a shit

Superior sci-fi universe coming through
>>
>>28260103
>Anime
No
>>
File: Lexx_mantrid.jpg (62 KB, 754x526) Image search: [Google]
Lexx_mantrid.jpg
62 KB, 754x526
>>28260103
That's not Lexx
>>
File: boarding.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
boarding.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>28260150
It's actually nothing like any other chinese cartoon (save the moonspeak). It's got literally none of the tropes that've given chinese cartoons such a bad reputation.

Plus they don't really bother trying to explain the logic or science behind anything. Everything's just supposed to be a plot device so Space Napoleon can have his giant theatrical wars.

>>28260159
Does Lexx have giant blue lasers and Napoleonic-style linear warfare in space?
>>
>>28254958
They also use inappropriate prefixes ("isotons") and can't into SI units without mixing up watts and joules and stuff (power =/= energy)
>>
>>28256212
He said that's all it can filter, smoke. Filtering isn't the only thing a mask can do... I question the intelligence of someone who things "It can't filter toxic gas, this thing can't do ANYTHING."
>>
>>28255292
Given that he was sanitation he may literally not know the features of his own uniform. I've heard of more than a few retarded new kids who thought interceptor vests, being ballistic resistant, somehow meant stab proof.
>>
>>28260229
>Does Lexx have giant blue lasers and Napoleonic-style linear warfare in space?

No, but it did have the entire universe get turned into robots by robots so they had to go to an alternate universe
>>
>>28254766

So the super weapon drew in the plasma from a star and focused it into a beam? Pretty bad ass if you ask me the unbelievable part was it splitting into 5 beams and destroying 5 separate planets.
>>
File: 1396816335403.webm (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1396816335403.webm
1 MB, 960x720
>>28260309
I'm of the opinion that Sci-Fi shouldn't even bother with explaining the "technology" unless they're going to go full-autistic with the realism. Most of the things in sci-fi are usually rule-of-cool or even just obvious plot devices, and it really ruins it when they try to bring "logic" to those things.

Take the Star Wars EU for example. It devolved into writers competing to make the better superweapon by throwing larger arbitrary amounts of 0's to the power output of the weapons and people trying to explain the rule-of-cool machines in a universe created by a man who though Jar-Jar was a good idea.

>>28260350
Sounds neat I'll have to check it out. Definitely sounds better than pleb-tier starwars.
>>
>>28260353
You forgot that it also makes the Death Star look practical by comparison.
>>
>>28260363
What caused that hilarious pile of death?
>>
>>28254766
If you had ever read a technical manual, you would know that all Star Destroyers have captured suns as their power plants. That's why they have the name.

The interdiction ships have particularly massive stars in order to generate a gravity well sufficient to prevent smaller ships from making the jump to light speed.
>>
>>28257394
So basically he made his own Star Wars with blackjack and hookers?
>>
>>28260363
>Definitely sounds better than pleb-tier starwars.
YO WAY YO
>>
>>28260103
wut
>>
>>28260393
space warfare.
>>
>>28258057
After ROTJ the new republic and imperial remnant basically signed a truce. But some fascist cell of the remnant still remained (first order). So the new republic used its power to make the Resistance and the first order couldn't fight back too much because it would draw in the New Republic. So they made the Starkiller base to fuck over the New Republic, cuz if you have the biggest stick in the galaxy their proxy can go fuck itself
>>
>>28260398
>you would know that all Star Destroyers have captured suns as their power plants.
y wot m8? I never recall reading that
>>
File: space battle.webm (3 MB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
space battle.webm
3 MB, 600x324
>>28260393
Battle of Vermillion. For reference, the battles in the show involve about 10-20,000 ships on each side on average, and there's anywhere between 3-5 million men in each fleet.
>>
>>28260412
Yeah but those kinds of wounds don't fit the damage I'm (not) seeing around the ship?

There's like a few blown-out panels and some scratches on the walls, yet all the people look like Khorne went to town on them
>>
>>28260363
>a man who though Jar-Jar was a good idea.
At least he was smart enough to not let Michael Jackson play it in a costume.
>>
Just finished watching this, and I'm very torn because I fucking love seeing the references and Han and shit, but I just felt like they could've done so much better with the plot. I like the idea of Rey and Kylo Ren being novices who aren't full Sith/Jedi, but you never get a whole lot of info on Ren's master or how Rey is able to suddenly get so much better with the force in a very short amount of time. Overall my nostalgia stops me from disliking the movie, but I think that it could've been much better. On a side note I did find it interesting that Ren's light saber's crossguard was actually useful.
>>
>>28260390

I wouldn't have made it planet sized but I would have used a large rocky asteroid to take care of most of the structure. Definitely no weak point on the surface I would have required a raid to destroy it.
>>
File: Brack Rancers.webm (3 MB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
Brack Rancers.webm
3 MB, 540x405
>>28260431
I'm not entirely convinced that would have been any worse than TPM was.
>>
>>28254956
I love this about Leviathan Wakes, and they've already hinted at it in The Expanse.

All it takes is a malcontent with the time, engineering know-how, and fuel to accelerate a large enough rock at a high enough speed with the right orbital vector to shear the Earth in fucking half.
>>
>>28260419
You see Spider-Man 2 where doc ock created a miniature sun for fusion power? Basically that's the reactor of a star destroyer.
>>
>>28260401
And you know what, screwing the star wars
>>
>>28257394
Why would they even change the rebellions name? There's absolutely no need to. I could see why they would want to change up the empires name after that whole debacle but the rebellion won?
>>
>>28260551
Yeah, but I never read that they were "captured" suns.
>>
>>28254916
Except that's wrong. The Halo arrays were built in response to the flood. The human-forerunner war was just because the humans were running from the flood and the forerunner didn't know about them. Once they found out, shit went downhill fast. Then the flood - forerunner war occurred, Halos were built, fired, etc.
>>
>>28260653
I don't know whether to praise Neo-Halo's original story-lines or find them full-retard.

I mean, now they're saying John might be a reincarnated general or some shit?

da fuck m8?
>>
>>28260599
They aren't captured, I think the term used is "miniature stars", so I assumed artificial
>>
>>28260653
>The Halo arrays were built in response to the flood
Yes, by wiping out all life in the galaxy. They preserved biodiversity by killing everything which is what I said.

>The human-forerunner war was just because the humans were running from the flood and the forerunner didn't know about them
Technically, it happened because humans were destroying infected Forerunner worlds and they weren't saying why. There was a huge time gap between the Human-Forerunner war and the Flood-Forerunner war. During that time, the only super weapons the Forerunners made were used to police the galaxy and keep other species in-line; other than these things, they were in the process of demilitarizing themselves. The most notable of these policing weapons were Guardians.

Nowhere did I say that the Halo rings were built as a deterrent, only what their purpose was. In fact, I even pointed out that the purpose and reason for the Halo Array is different than their other weapons.

>>28260701
Halo's story went to shit after 3. I just happen to know the lore even though it's gone full-retard.
>>
the empire was still a working hydra after the death of sideus. or whatever the fuck his name was.
>>
>>28260786
Ah, sorry. I must've misinterpreted your original post. I thought you were saying that they were made as a deterrent. My bad anon
>>28260701
After the travesty that was Halo 5's story, I'm giving up on 343 for Halo. At this point, whatever they want to do they can do, fuck them
>>
>>28260786
>They preserved biodiversity by killing everything which is what I said.
Everything sentient (fuck knows how that works)
>>
>>28260833
It's all good.

343i killed Halo, and they killed it bad. The series is beyond hope. Now I know what Sonic fans feel like.
>>
>>28260847
>Everything sentient
Don't nitpick.

Besides, while the Flood could only directly infect sentient beings with sufficient biomass, they could also alter environments and entire atmospheres to consume everything. Just look at High Charity in Halo 3.
>>
>>28260852
I had hope at first. We had a new company here to tell us they were continuing the story. Forward Unto Dawn came out and I loved it. It was a good mini-series and a nice piece of added lore. Then Halo 4 came out and I was a little confused. Why is the Master Chief suddenly the chosen one and getting an evolutionary bump? If these guys were so advanced, why couldn't they just fix Cortana? Why was The Didact so angry at me? (That last one was at least sort of explained in game) Then the ad campaign for Halo 5 started. The radio drama, and all this Hunt the Truth trailer stuff. I loved that stuff too. Chief is the bad guy to ONI, what's going on I can't wait, and Blue Team is in it, yes! Then I played the game. Chief was the "bad guy" for 2 seconds then Locke pretty much shrugs his shoulders and goes "ok let's help the Chief now guys lol." I've lost faith in 343i. So much story potential wasted
>>
>>28260928
>>28260852
>>28260833
And, lore-rape aside, 343 flat-out released an incomplete game with Masterchief Collection.

Halo series ended with Reach as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>28260937
I'll give them props where it's due though, they made the right decision when they contracted blur studios to do the cutscenes for Halo 2 anniversary. Those were gorgeous
>>
>>28260928
>>28260937
All of this, not to mention the awful direction they took with the art style.

Halo 1-3 were inspired by industrial sci-fi like Aliens; everything was heavy-duty and actually seemed like it made sense. Halo 4-5 seems like it was inspired by Transformers.
>>
>>28260964
>Halo 4-5 seems like it was inspired by Transformers.

I thought Halo 4 was Weeb as shit, haven't even bothered looking at 5
>>
>>28260982
Same thing, but yeah, I suppose Weebshit is more apt.
>>
>>28257091
They literally sucked an entire star inside the planet and made it a supercritical energy shot. Sometimes you just can't build any real redundancies that can handle those kinds of forces.
>>
>>28259225
>ABRAMS IS A HACK
Yeah, but so was Lucas. Pretty much everything in ANH was lifted whole cloth from Errol Flinn, Kurosawa, and WWII movies he watched as a kid. It was revolutionary because of the effects work and completely new editing technique.
>>
>>28260982
THIS! Jesus I thought I was the only one. 343 has officially killed it for me.
>>
File: Halo_legends.png (169 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
Halo_legends.png
169 KB, 250x302
>>28261048
Do we blame this? I've never actually watched it, how popular was it?
>>
>>28260539
Of all its sins, the greatest of The Phantom Menace is that it's unnecessary, and does nothing to advance the story or make us want to care about that part of their lives.
>>
>>28256995
The older parts of Social Security are still kept on paper man.
>>
>>28261000
What rustled my jimmies was that it was all taken out by what looked like a squadron or two of neo x-wings, and a small squad of heros. Seems like the First Order could mount slightly more than the limp-wristed response they did when their super-duper-est of weapons was under attack. What do they only have like 1 fucking star destroyer that wasn't even in-system? Why would Cpt. Phasma not risk her life and refuse to lower the shield? (inb4 next 2 movies), and even if she didn't lower the shield, why couldn't the x-wings just light-speed through the shield like the falcon did?

But anyway, even if you concede that the heros are gonna save the day in any case, at least in ROTJ the heros had a bunch of ground troops, lol ewoks, and the ENTIRE REBEL FLEET backing them up.
>>
File: FOOOOM.png (641 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
FOOOOM.png
641 KB, 720x405
>>28254766

No OP, this was.

They are about what, 400, 500 miles away from the "barrel" of this weapon, which is the same fucking diameter of DS II, firing the equivalent of THE SUN that rapes a entire system. There must be shilding around that opening that takes up the other half of what that thing sucked in.

On a positive note, in terms of science fiction, this would put the Star Wars Galaxies meta civilization at a VERY high Type II on the Kardeshev Scale.
>>
>>28254869

Very good book.
>>
File: Carl_Sagan_Biography.jpg (22 KB, 315x304) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Sagan_Biography.jpg
22 KB, 315x304
>>28261124
No it wasn't. It was nihilistic Reagan-era SJW we're-all-gonna-die-bullshit, substituting space squids for nukes.
>>
>>28261105
>why couldn't the x-wings just light-speed through the shield like the falcon did?
Do remember that the Falcon came in with so much residual inertia it ended up crushing a good chunk of forest and did a hard belly landing. What would that do to a fighter?
>>
So, srsly, how SJW is the new Star Wars?

Or is it like Mad Max where dickheads were freaking out just because Theron was a lead and it had a minor sub-plot about female sex slaves?
>>
>>28261176
Given the general disregard for physics in Star Wars, I'd imagine that if the Falcon could pull of that stunt, a jump-capable fighter could do the same thing, even if it was extremely dangerous.

But that could go either way. I was more annoyed by how seemingly weakly defended the planet killer was compared to the Death Star(s). And I mean shit, the Resistance didn't even bring any dedicated bombers (and I know the Y-wing is also really a fighter, but at least it gives the impression of a strike mission.)
>>
>>28261209
It's not even Mad Max tier. It has a female lead, Leia, and a major stormtrooper who act realistically for their roles and situations.
>>
>>28261214
They didn't bring anything else because the X-Wing is the most iconic fighter next to the regular TIE Fighter.
>>
>>28261214
There's the distinct impression that the First Order was placing a lot of bets on a combination of the Starkiller and intimidation compared to Sheev's Empire.
>>
>>28261216
>realistically
>a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away
>>
>>28261248
>realistic
>humans living in another galaxy
>>
>>28261067
Legends was decent, some of the stories were retarded and a handful of em were bretty good

The ODST anime was fucking amazing imo
>>
>>28261263
>not knowing about that canceled EU book about why there's humans in the Star Wars galaxy

it had a good explanation, tbqh
>>
>>28261225
Why's his nickname "Sheev"?
>>
>>28261317
Sheev is his first name

Sheev Palpatine

I can't believe I was ever a Star Wars fan, tbqh
>>
>>28261311
What was it?
>>
>>28256256

Read The Killing Star anon. Lets just say your coffee table in your living room at 92% of c would turn most of Eurasia into something akin to plasma...just by the fucking LIGHT it gives off by itself as it plows (literally) through Earths atmo.
>>
>>28258001

Anons of this thread...you gotta realize you are dealing with a group of civilizations that have been FTL capable for over 26,000 odd years.

That's a LONG time to have to advance tech and what not.

Also...all this talk about r bombs. Fuck the Millenium Falcon is fucking indestructible if anything, should have just plowed through the Starkiller and call it a day.
>>
>>28257971

Don't forget it cost more than both DS I and II combined.
>>
>>28261225
They sure were trigger happy. Nigger and a young girl with a stick escaping through a marketplace? Call in a fucking airstrike.
>>
>>28258148

This, Couscant is controlled by no one now iirc because it got tired of everybody's shit and realized in its LONG history...its pretty much self sufficient...save it needs food...constantly.
>>
>>28255376
I haven't seen the movie. They actually built a planet size death star???

Does anyone want to comment on the...impracticality of this? The inefficiency? How many billions of storm troopers would you need to keep it running properly?

This is....fucking retarded. To anyone with a brain. Why do you need to kill an entire star anyway? With the same effort, you could build 100 death stars to take out 100 planets. Why invest in this massive ultra expensive thing which (as we know from prior experience) can probably just get blown up in one go if the rebels are clever enough?

This is what happens when you put people with no understanding of science, economics, technology or....anything in charge of writing the script for your movie. This is moron-level thinking. You see this all the time in Hollywood.
>>
>>28260393

An attempt in anime to make "Space War" realistic.
>>
>>28261135

Yeah, like I said, a good book.
>>
>>28261403
Unlike the Death Star it doesn't need to be in-system, it can fire from quite a ways away and hit multiple targets simultaneously.
>>
>>28254766
>>>/tv/
>>
>>28256421
Something interesting is the fact that in the scene where they begin sucking up the star, it's much larger than the planet. In the scene where the planet implodes, however, the star it leaves behind is no larger than the planet was.
>>
>>28261325
>What was it?
Humans fleeing a dystopian Earth enter a wormhole and go back in time/travel to another galaxy

Best explanation there could be really.
>>
File: 1450111566860.jpg (491 KB, 1247x927) Image search: [Google]
1450111566860.jpg
491 KB, 1247x927
>>28254766
Damn, just got back from the movie. Mediocre bordering on bad. I mean, the stormtrooper assault was alright, but the character development, framing of environments, and shoehorned plot devices made the whole damn thing start falling apart after the first half hour.

Wasn't expecting it to be good, but there was a lot of wasted potential where it seems like it could have been. Seems like the trend today, kind of ironic that I just played FO4 before going to see it and it's the same lackluster could've-been-good feeling.
>>
>>28261462

To expand

Humans from THX 1138's Earth leave, get caught in some time vortex that throws them into the Triangulum Galaxy 1.7 billion years in the past. Their last names are...Corrilia, Solo, and Skywalker.
>>
>>28257971
>build starfighter with literally invincible armour
>give it energy torpedo launcher that can initiate super novas
>pretty cool right?

Until it gets retarded in a way only star wars can.

>apparently looks like a snow cone
>gets stolen by moody teenage jedi student of luke skywalker because he is under the influence of the edgy faggot version of the dark side.
>uses it to oblitorate an entire imperial remnant system because theyd forced his brother to become a storm trooper and he died.
>except he didnt, dies anyways when the star explodes
>its okay that he just killed billions of people and his own brother though, you see, he said he was brothe
>luke skywalker treats it on an almost "boys will be boys" level and acts like its just a phase that some time out in the meditation corner can cure
>literally no protest from anyone in the galactic community
>emo faggot kid goes on to be a major charecter in a dozen more books
>barely ever mentions that he slaughtered an entire solar system as part of his moody teenager phase.
>becomes gary stu "grey side" force user who can use both sith and jedi powers as it becomes convienient without any real repurcussions or without any real difficulty aside from being angsty all the time.

Maybe the newest movie didnt make sense when it was broken down to an autistic second to second level of analysis, but the expanded universe cannon needed to die.
>>
>>28254916
>How else are you going to keep the lesser species in their proper place?

Have any of you guys read these?
>>
>>28261507
>Their last names are...Corrilia, Solo, and Skywalker.

I know, THAT was fucking stupid.

A galaxy of like 10 trillion beings and it's the same 5 families that do everything.
>>
>>28261507
(Super vague version)
I thought that it was the rattan empire (basically world building species on par with halo fore runners except use dark sith space magic to power thier toys)

They teleported a bunch of species populations from various planets anpopulationsand times into/around the star wars galaxy to be slaves.

Human guy named skywalker discovers the force, slaves rebel, nobody can use the hyperspace drives though because thier navigation is reliant on sith space magic, so once the war is over only the few remaining jedi can travel interstellar distances. The various species are stuck on the planets that they were on when the evil rattan empire fell until somebody invents interstellar navigation computers eventually leading to re-connection of the galaxy and the old republic.
>>
How is it that Finn and Rey, who have had no lightsaber training whatsoever, were not instantly fucked up in direct lightsaber combat with Kylo, who received proper Jedi training under Luke?
>>
>>28261603
Kylo Ren was blinded by his angst.
>>
>>28261603
It begins with Mary and it ends with Sue
>>
>>28261603
I guess Finn had at least basic melee training, since he and shock baton trooper were both pretty proficient.

That and Kylo had just been shot in the gut by Chewbacca's bowcaster which is apparently very powerful.
>>
>>28261649
Yeah, it was great that he could finally actually use it onscreen.
>>
>>28261403
>They actually built a planet size death star???
No, it's more like they built a massive death-star-like cannon within an existing planet.
>>
>>28261649
What is even the point of the crossbow implements on the front of that gun? Decoration?
>>
>>28261661
He's used it before

>>28261695
It's an actually cross bow that fires laser bolts because starwars
>>
>>28261603
Because the main charecter will always be able to effortlessly master something at the last minute through the power of goodness, true grit, and stick-to-it-ivness.
>>
>>28261695
Just a lazy props department that took whatever guns / toys were laying around, spliced them together, and had everything fire the same laser effects.
>>
>>28261748
>It's an actually cross bow that fires laser bolts because starwars
But neither the bowstring nor the arms move when it fires.
>>
>>28261695
Bowcasters shoot a metal bolt covered in a plasma sheathe. That's why Kylo was bleeding afterward instead of just having a scorch mark.
>>
File: 4416519.jpg (8 KB, 209x200) Image search: [Google]
4416519.jpg
8 KB, 209x200
>>28255376
>The Soverign Nation of Ree'ak'tor
>>
>>28261772
because starwars
>>
>>28261565

Even better, the Skywalker clan is a Punjabi family, the Corrilia family is from Napels area and Solo is (no shitting) Han Chinese.
>>
Star Wars is for little kids and basement dwellers who never grew up
>>
>>28256945

believe it or not family, the laptop I am typing on is 15 years old.
>>
>>28261824
So pretty much /k/.
>>
>>28256945
Industrial Automaton knows how to make their shit last.
>>
File: 1355174025029.png (115 KB, 326x226) Image search: [Google]
1355174025029.png
115 KB, 326x226
Honestly the biggest thing that annoyed me was the fact that Abrams stopped using those nifty scene transitions of the other films.
>>
Being able to use FTL to bypass shields is the stupidest thing. It removes a lot of the reasons for space ship battles in the previous movies. JJ really didn't think that one through.
>>
File: fagot.jpg (93 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
fagot.jpg
93 KB, 400x399
Why can't they strap a bomb with engines and ftl it into the core of the death star?
>>
>>28262167
Why wouldn't you just get a ship to ftl and kamikaze that shit? Any amount of mass going +C will fucking erase a planet
>>
TR-8R was the best character.
>>
The best part about this is that white girl is gonna be trained by a black bull with his big black lightsaber.

And edgy white boy in black clothes can only watch.
>>
>>28261528
Yup, I love how the setting is space opera without FTL. The second book has one of my favorite space battle sequences.
>>
Am I the only person in this thread that wholeheartedly enjoyed the movie? It's great to have a new Star Wars movie for me anyway.
>>
>>28262232
Moot please go.
>>
>>28260539
Bittenfeld is so based.
>>
>>28262209
Exactly. Previously planetary shields were impassable barriers which required either cleverness or a siege. Or a laser the size of a moon. No any idiot in an ancient smugglers ship can slip through your shields
>>
>>28260429
Decompression injuries and death by asphyxiation are not as "cool", "edgy", or "shocking" as having people crawling around with their guts hanging out. If it was realistic they would either die from burning, exposure to toxic coolant/fuel vapors, horrific spalling, or decompression and asphyxiation.
>>
>>28261347
I'm talking about when it hits SHIPS. Read, people, it's not that hard.
>>
>>28261386
When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
>>
>>28261443

Makes sense, the weapon is not 100% efficient in its energy usage. Some of it would be lost somewhere.
>>
>>28256212

Carbon Monoxide is a toxic gas in the right amount. Smoke however is carbon deposits in the air. Youre talking a big difference in particle size here.

That, and filtering out 'toxic gases' is kinda hard and independent life support is probably a better option.
>>
>>28261176

Except that youd know that Solo brought the falcon in that low to avoid detection. The X-Wing squadron wouldnt need to fuck around with flying nap-of-the-earth and just jump past the shield and start banging away. Also, im pretty sure that once inside the shield it would need to be lowered for First Order TIE Fighters to enter and engage.
>>
>>28261403
>Why do you need to kill an entire star anyway
We actually had this already, it was called the Sun Crusher and was far more efficient.
>>
>>28261435
So they literally combined the Galaxy gun, Death Star and Sun Crusher into one monstrosity?
>>
>>28260350
And sexy dead assassin
>>
>>28262561
YO WAY YO
>>
>>28262508
One planet sized monstrosity, yes. There was already a super weapon arms race in the EU and JJ started out by topping everything. It can only get better from here, right?
>>
File: 1401074060863.jpg (41 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
1401074060863.jpg
41 KB, 560x375
>>28262696
>The bad guys win episode 8
>They build an even bigger planet-gun
>It still has a fatal flaw
>Good guys fight tooth and nail to destroy it
>Good guys win with the help of some Mary Sue alien race

>2030
>Star Wars Episode 10 announced
>>
>>28262696
>Episode IX is going to have an even bigger super-death weapon

Sith-magic black holes. Calling it now.
>>
>>28261039

Lucas under a leash is able to produce greatness: case in point, the Clone Wars series and Episode V. J-brams would otherwise be one of his EU lackeys if he wasn't in the special position he's in right now.
>>
>>28261209
The lead female beats a Sith with a walking stick
>>
>>28261039
>It was revolutionary because of the effects work and completely new editing technique.
And dat soundtrack
>>
>>28262748
Rey is kylos daughter
>>
>>28261135
>Reagan-era SJW

It was written in the 90's you stupid cunt.
>>
>>28262296
The photons alone emitted from the object can turn a planet into plasma (and since photons travel at, you guess it, the speed of light, meaning they "hit" before the object does), then what the fuck do you think will happen to a spacecraft?

Second, even if it wasn't powerful enough to emit such powerful photons, by accelerating towards the speed of light the relative mass of an object increases. Suddenly your 5 gram pea has the mass of several metric tons, made of reactant particles that can go nuclear when they impact other particles.
>>
Things that bothered me: TIE fighters have no life support systems, hence why the pilots wear pressure suits. Also why the fuck do they need to have two seats? And where the fuck does the gunner seat go? A TIE is a massive engine with a tiny cockpit.
t. an autist
>>
>>28261695
>>28261765
All of the guns from the original movie were based on real gun. Hans blaster was a c96, those long rifles the sand people used were nuggets...etc
>>
>>28262940
There are two versions, the basic one is just an Original Trilogy TIE/LN updated to modern military standards.

The one they stole is an upgraded version with life support and a rear gunner. It has two engines on either side of the crew pod.
>>
>>28262915
>The photons alone emitted from the object can turn a planet into plasma

Pure bullshit
>>
>>28262696
>>28262723
>>28262746
They could fix it by having the empire build a ton of different superweapons and then having the superweapons fight and blow each other up.

Like that Captain America winter soldier scene with the helicarriers, but on steroids.
>>
>>28255376

You pic is bullshit.

There's no paper in Star Wars.
>>
File: charles dance.gif (763 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
charles dance.gif
763 KB, 200x180
>>28260515
[spoiler] Rey is obviously the Revan of the story.
>>
>>28254766
Under no circumstances impose physics on star wars... Also they had 30 years of generations of kidnapped kids building it.
>>
>>28262831
Nah, she isn't Ben Solo's kid. She's totally Luke's daughter. Anakin/Luke's lightsaber has become a relic in the force because of its familial history and drew her to it. Before she was hidden away on Jakku (with, conveniently, the key missing bit of the map to where daddy is held by someone else there) she remembered being on an ocean world living on a small island, like where she goes at the end.
>>
>>28260103
Troll
>>
>>28254913
>Federation ship falls out of orbit
Are we talking about the one that the clones concentrated their fire on to bring down? Because I don't think that thing got anywhere close to orbit.
>>
>>28261603

Rey earlier in the film is clearly already rather good at melee combat after defeating the 2 guys trying to take BB-8 also knocking Finn on his ass.
>>
Star wars is a fantasy knights and princesses setting with ww2 dogfights
>>
>>28264385
While Finn gets his ass whupped by both the riot trooper and Ren because he seems to be mostly non force sensitive.
>>
>>28264438

Finn did receive some training in melee combat he was barely able to hold off Ren. He gets messed up and luckily escapes with his life.
>>
>>28264596
Th next time we see him he will have a shiny new spine. Perhaps it will increase his reaction speed to put him on par with force speed using jedi.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.