[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do "futurists" get military technology advancements
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 40
File: soldier.jpg (66 KB, 626x812) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
66 KB, 626x812
Why do "futurists" get military technology advancements wrong every single time?
>>
File: future PC of the 2000s.jpg (166 KB, 851x601) Image search: [Google]
future PC of the 2000s.jpg
166 KB, 851x601
>>30502378
same reason ALL scifi & future predictions fail:
Unpredicted appearances of brand new "element X", that the people at the time could not have even imagined existing.
In our time's case, the IT technology, wireless technology, and the networks related to both started evolving and spreading so rapidly, that for the past 30 years, anything made a decade earlier is almost always obsolete.

It's one of the reasons why the so-called "retro futures" are so fascinating and once again feel fresh in fiction, as they might just as well be alternative universes or timelines to us.

Early 1900s people thought the future was all about personal flying gadgets and super complicated machines that'd do things like barber visits or teaching kids as simple as sowing crops with steam-engine devices. 1950s predicted everything to be about "NUCLEAR POWERRR", and 60s-70s was "space EVERYTHING!".
>>
>>30502520
Makes you wonder how horribly wrong we'll have got things when we look back about twenty years down the line.
>>
>>30502378
None of that is bad for 2030, though. All the elements exist; they're just used differently because futurists don't consider ergonomics or talk to the actual end-users.
>>
>>30502378

>Custom fit boots

By the far the most implausible.
>>
>>30502378
Smart rifle aside, that seems pretty plausible
>>
>>30502378
Because it's proof of concept bullshit and not meant to be taken seriously.
>>
File: talos exo ironman.jpg (113 KB, 530x982) Image search: [Google]
talos exo ironman.jpg
113 KB, 530x982
>>30502378
>the Information Technology technology
yup, I should get some sleep.

>>30502588
It's going to be fascinating indeed.
It's just hilarious to try and watch some late 80s / early 90s future films, where everything still pretty much looks like 80s, but payphones have a TV screen!

Seriously, in the past 15 years alone, payphones have disappeared, a brand new thing called "social media" appeared, and portable wireless telephones literally evolved into pocket-sized computers, with more bonus features than a Swiss army knife.

>>30502625
this.
The new Talos system is pretty much just more advanced version of that stuff in OP's pic, and the modern phones / tablets / etc have long made that wrist computer stuff possible, in less cumbersome form too.

I doubt we're gonna get rid of our ARs and AKs in another half a century tho'.
>>
>>30502685
>I doubt we're gonna get rid of our ARs and AKs in another half a century tho'.

Still kills shit dead, will probably be around until it stops doing that effectively.

I imagine we'll probably see a lot more airburst stuff, though. Too good to be able to strike targets in cover or defilade to ignore that.
>>
>>30502378
How do you scale getting shot?
>>
>>30502724
Non lethal bullets
>>
>>30502378
>Why do "futurists" get military technology advancements wrong every single time?

because the future isn't very cool

if, in the 80s, you wrote a movie script about the year 2016 being the most peaceful period in human history except for sectarian violence in the middle east, nobody would want to watch it because it would suck

today, we write sprawling space operas with huge battleships fighting pitched zero-g battles, but honestly I would not be surprised if space literally never became a battleground
>>
>>30502378
>Why do "futurists" get military technology advancements wrong every single time?
Ignoring legacy systems.

They always assume there will be a complete rebuild of the military from the ground up to accommodate future tech, when in reality, the military usually tries to hold on to as much currently extant gear as possible.
>>
>>30502724
Probably some sort of weird mechanism where the bullet and the powder are loaded separately, so you can select an incredibly low powder load that shoots the bullet at airsoft speeds.
>>
>>30502378
because science is taking too long to catch up to science fiction
>>
>>30502378
>custom fit boots
Some high tech shit right there.
>>
File: pike in m320.jpg (316 KB, 761x473) Image search: [Google]
pike in m320.jpg
316 KB, 761x473
>>30502706
Airburst stuff is a logical, incremental upgrade. I think eventually the LSAT or another group of CT-polymer weapons will replace the M4/SAW/M240 family, but not in the next decade.

One improvement IMO is going to be in mm-wave/microwave/terahertz systems. Plasma antennae can now fit on silicon chips; so putting an airport-grade weapons scanner on every hand-launched drone will eventually be possible.
>>
>>30502732
why is there a penguin in space
>>
>>30502763
Tom Clancy used something in a book.
Holes the length of the barrel and a rotating sleeve. The more holes open the slower the bullet leaves the barrel.
>>
>>30502378
It's more about excitement than practical
>>30502520
Your attempt to sound intelligent is painfully wrong, don't post ever again.
>>
>>30502378
Why do I hear people unironically talk about power armour like its only a few years away from being widely adopted?
>>
>>30502378

Because they forgot to exalt aggressive action, a feverish insomnia, the racer’s stride, the mortal leap, the punch and the slap.
>>
>>30502840
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcqHaPhkkM

Because this is year-old technology. In a bureaucratic sense, it's a decade+ away; but if ww3 broke out, it could go into mass production today.

60% body coverage with XSAPI plate, 8 hours full power with 70 pound ruck in mountainous terrain, and the helmet is suspended from the artificial spine so rifle shots can't break the user's neck.
>>
>>30502840
because Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoK1ANL6rU
>>
File: vintage ipad.jpg (73 KB, 634x488) Image search: [Google]
vintage ipad.jpg
73 KB, 634x488
>>30502827
>Your attempt to sound intelligent is painfully wrong, don't post ever again.
says a flaming homosexual basing his statement on a single article about one very extraordinary visioneer. There's always one in every era, but that doesn't mean they were the sound of the entire population.

Tons of "smart" people as late as 1960s were still certain there'd be only need for a handful of computers in the entire world, only to bit later predict that the typical personal home computer of 2010s would still take as much space as a desk and cost "only" few thousand dollars.

Hell, still in late 1990s, people were certain we'd have flying cars and laser guns by the turn of the millennium.
>>
>>30502378
Considering the TALOS program that's working on developing powered exoskeletons, the LSAT program that's working on new ammunition/guns that would actually have a reason to replace the M16/M4 (ammunition significantly smaller and lighter leading to significant cost savings over traditional 5.56 in transport and lighter loads on soldiers/more ammunition carried), and the Army's smartphone program that has already been fielded and does the job of the "data glove" along with how we have 14 more years to go I'd say they aren't going to be to far off.
>>
>>30502840
Current prototypes are for power loaders, which ironically are actually over-specified for actual power armor. We have the technology, it's just not being applied. Like how WW2 created an explosive effect on tank development/
>>
>>30502685
In the far future, retro pay phones will come back into fashion for rich people.
>>
File: xl-2016-atlas-robot-1.jpg (45 KB, 620x375) Image search: [Google]
xl-2016-atlas-robot-1.jpg
45 KB, 620x375
Here's the real question though: Robot soldiers when?
>>
>>30502378
He looks like a GDI trooper from Tiberian Sun
>>
>>30502912
Its not practical or useful
>>
>>30502945
At least you tried
>>
>>30502945
>Hell, still in late 1990s, people were certain we'd have flying cars and laser guns by the turn of the millennium.

There's an article by Henry Maxim (inventor of the Maxim gun) from the mid 1910s predicting that aircraft would become vital in warfare, but would never become a common household conveyance (which a lot of people in the 20s were predicting; "everyone will have a plane just like a car" for instance.) He said it was because aviation is just fucking dangerous, inherently, because any mechanical failure whatsoever is a big problem when you can't just coast to the side of the road and pop the hood.

Therefore, I posit that it's not too hard to pick out the visionaries that will understand what the fuck will and won't happen.

They tend to be engineers.
>>
>>30502951

The Iron Man movies got one thing right: there's a reason the plot of the first one revolves around the miniaturized fusion reactor, not the armored suit. Anyone can make the latter, but they're not much use without a small, very efficient power source to go with them. The second movie opened up with Stark demonstrating that everyone else's armored suit tech was at least a decade behind his - to Congress - to justify his refusal to cough up the world-changing potential of the miniaturized fusion reactor right away (i.e. other defense firms can't utilize it as efficiently yet.) Of course that sidesteps how the selfish cunt is hoarding the technological breakthrough of the millennium but hey, comic books.

Still, fuck the robo-suit. Find me a battery that can power it.
>>
>>30502794
> Plasma antennae can now fit on silicon chips; so putting an airport-grade weapons scanner on every hand-launched drone will eventually be possible.

Creepshot/xray/bubble threads on /b/ will pale in comparison.
>>
File: 1467633585775.jpg (4 KB, 202x192) Image search: [Google]
1467633585775.jpg
4 KB, 202x192
>>30502685
>UCP
>Paintball masks
>Running shoes
>Shoulder pads

If that's the future than I want out.
>>
>>30502989
that robot shouldn't skip leg day
>>
>>30502989
10 years-30 years probably
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng
>>
>>30502378
>>
>>30504509
This reminds me of those WEBMs of blacks who build rocket ships and helicopters that always blow up or otherwise don't work.
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 716x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 716x960
>>30502378
Imagine shouldering a rifle in that hard ass chestplate
>>
>>30502378

>Fucking pipboy and shit.
>No groin protection.

You had one job Army, one job.
>>
File: revision power armor.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
revision power armor.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>30504156
>UCP
That's not.

>Paintball masks
That's a helmet and visor with NIJ IIIa protection. Though with the mechanical spine supporting it they could probably go to NIJ III.

>Running shoes
GOTTA GO FAST

>Shoulder pads
Rifle plates to offer protection for your heart/lungs if shot from the side above your side plates.
>>
File: Robot-Tartan-Rescue.png (406 KB, 800x951) Image search: [Google]
Robot-Tartan-Rescue.png
406 KB, 800x951
>>30502989
>Robot soldiers
no, they're 'autonomous emergency respondents' according to DARPA
designed to transverse any terrain
command any vehicle
operate any tool
able to withstand toxic, radioactive, and temperature extreme environments
resistant to accidental explosions and small high speed debris
so they can rescue people better. honestly
>>
>>30502732
There will be wars in space at some point down the line, but it will be less like the action packed battle fields of Star Wars and more akin to submarine warfare like Das Boot.
>>
>>30504867
more like a combination of artillery duel and a mad scramble among the combat engineering teams on a sunken ship with all souls still aboard
>>
>>30502989
>when they stop slipping on measuring tape
>>
>>30504509
Bethesda is so fucking lazy.
>>
File: science.gif (2 MB, 425x247) Image search: [Google]
science.gif
2 MB, 425x247
>>30504798
>command any vehicle

I wonder how the teach them to do that. Stop and think about how many hundreds of different vehicles we have, each with its own peculiarities and characteristics. How does it know the difference between how that ATV handles, how a Ford Focus handles, and how a 2-ton truck handles?
>>
>>30502912
The way the power exoskeleton interfaces with the legs of the solider looks absolutely retarded.

Why is it that everything now is designed by people with 10 PhDs and no fucking sense? It drives me fucking crazy. Everybody is so busy circle jerking themselves over how smart and creative they are.

>lel look at how many computers we are using
>we interface with the human body the same way a $15 knee brace did 15 years ago.
>>
Its because futurists don't realize that the basics of protecting vital parts only + better comms + more modular platforms = future
>>
>>30502732
> except for sectarian violence in the middle east

Theres also plenty of fighting in asia, africa, europe and south america.

Your sentiment is correct, but low level conflicts are actually fairly evenly spread.
>>
File: Awesome-Military-Armor.jpg (65 KB, 591x653) Image search: [Google]
Awesome-Military-Armor.jpg
65 KB, 591x653
Post concepts
>>
File: Gunner Kit.jpg (311 KB, 903x1241) Image search: [Google]
Gunner Kit.jpg
311 KB, 903x1241
>>
>>30505519
>OLIVER, NOOOOOO!!!
>>
>>30504867
There's a really fucking good example of this on Youtube made by some guy who made a "what-if" scenario between American and Soviet spacecraft with different philosphies in space travel and combat ranging from fission based travel and weaponry to kinetic only warheads that fragmented into a wall of death. All to classical music.
>>
>>30504867
Nigga, you need to read projectrho

There will be no combat in spess.
>>
>>30505526
This is literally the Juggernaut from Modern Warfare 2
>>
File: The_Divine_Right.jpg (485 KB, 2627x972) Image search: [Google]
The_Divine_Right.jpg
485 KB, 2627x972
>>30505546
You can't just say something that cool without providing a source.
>>
>>30505569
Nah, they need the ridiculous metal neck protector and mask for it.
>>
>>30504798
Did you watch the DRC? Because I don't think you did.
>>
>>30505493
>I wonder how the teach them to do that

the same way you get to Carnegie Hall
>>
>>30505594
all those memories of laying dying in the doorway while my buddy fag tags them with an m79 just came back.

war is... I mean exploits and glitches are hell
>>
>>30505581
I've tried to find it before after years and I wish someone else knew what I was talking about. It was NATO vs Warsaw Pact with completely different design ideas with different preferences to weapons. Battle took place in the gravity well of Jupiter or Saturn and weapons/countermeasures were deployed. Each ship was hundreds of kilometers away at least. Shame I can't find it again.
>>
>>30502378
Yeah, there's no way the U.S. military would have a standard camouflage that good.
>>
>>30503832
you could easily power one with a gasoline engine. it's been proposed already and the only real issue is that it's too loud for the battle field.
>>
File: ih_odst_trade01.jpg (158 KB, 1600x781) Image search: [Google]
ih_odst_trade01.jpg
158 KB, 1600x781
>>30505519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpl5G1J1FE0
>>
>>30505568
Is there valuable shit in space and value in having things in space?
Then there will be combat there eventually.
>>
>>30502520
>same reason ALL scifi & future predictions fail
Some don't. The problems is that most people who want to "predict the future" has no idea about technology and its implementation.
>>
>>30502685

LSAT.
>>
>>30502685
To be honest they do most stuff they're intended to do well enough to not warrant their replacement.

Maybe we'll get some different ammunition like that 6.8x35mm round or whatever in similar size range, but as for now small arms are pretty much like mortars - you can't really take that concept and make something better out of it.

At the same time, back in the beginning of 20th century, every army had bolt-action rifles and you could've thought about what to improve. First people though - make them self-loading. Then they've started to experiment with automatic fire(Fiodorov rifle, BAR etc.), then they've cut down the round to reduce recoil and at some point they've reached what became modern assault rifle etc. etc. It was all logical - you wanted to give average soldier firepower of machinegun and when it failed because of huge recoil they've realised that enormous range rifles had is useless so they could just use weaker round and it'll be all okay. And then it's a dead end. You can improve the ammunition, maybe, but as for now the concept of assault rifle as we know it is dead end. It won't get any further.
Maybe with exoskeletons and some technology allowing them for automatic recoil compensation or something militaries may come back to more powerful rounds for their grunts but it's doubtful because most of the time 5.56 will do everything 7.62 can do, except you can carry more of it.
>>
>>30502640
custom fit for someone else
>>
>>30502804
someone installed linux
>>
>>30505526
Okay, serious question: what is wrong with this rig?
>>
>>30502945
>only to bit later predict that the typical personal home computer of 2010s would still take as much space as a desk and cost "only" few thousand dollars.
desu it is partially true

There are several form-factors for computers that will generally be there regardless of technological progress and ATX(Baby AT back in the time) tower is one of them. You can make smaller computers, sure but due to the question of proper number of I/O interfaces(try to convince anybody who needs 3 monitors and decent amount of computing power for work to step down from his PC to tablet) or performance/cooling that kind of form factors will be commonly used and certainly not very alien in 2050 as well as 2100.
>>
>>30502724
I like that it scales down HIGH EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS.
>>
>>30506117
LSAT will further reduce the weight, possibly allowing the use of a larger, heavier bullet that can still be carried in sufficient quantities for modern suppression+maneuver tactics.

Either XM-25 or Pike (possibly both, but I'm leaning towards Pike for system weight+flexibility) will provide aimed fire at longer ranges.

Smart scopes (e.g., TrackingPoint) are available, and multi-spectral optics with automatic target ID are coming, which will increase lethality at rifle ranges. The use of suppression as an enabling tactic might even be altered as a result.

Finally, power armor doesn't just provide improved encumbrance and protection; the big, unspoken killer app is sensor fusion. With available (shot-spotting microphones that can also detect+localize movement and provide translation services, lightweight uncooled thermal+automatic target recognition, BLUFOR, etc.) and near-term (multi-spectral optics, possibly even suit-portable back-scatter penetrating radar), a suit could be made to highlight unseen people, track fire to its source, provide targeting assistance/terminal guidance, simplify calls for fire, provide automapping services, possibly even some form of CEC with other suits, and so forth... in addition to reducing the soldier's felt load and increasing his/her/zhe protection (and on the note, it might make female body strength slightly less of a disaster for the modern infantry).
>>
File: What May Happen.jpg (520 KB, 969x1507) Image search: [Google]
What May Happen.jpg
520 KB, 969x1507
In the spirit of this thread, check this out.

One third laughably wrong, one third kinda maybe right, one third shockingly accurate.

It's difficult to predict sudden unprecedented developments, transistors, radio, programs, even if you plan ahead very carefully, it wrecks everything.

I mean just look at those old golden age of sci fi writers praised for their futuristic vision, whose work is laughable from a technical perspective because it's full of stuff like mechanical calculators or landline telephones or data only being stored on magnetic tape.

You can perhaps chart the vague direction of future developments, but it's impossible to predict these sudden revolutionary discoveries that radically change everything they are in contact with.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>30505493
They don't teach them how to drive; the robots are semi-autonomous, meaning that they gather sensor data (imagery and 3D laser scans) and remote operators tell them where to go; the robot knows how to keep its balance and normally plots its own paths / step placement, but that's about it (and sometimes that doesn't work out either).

For driving cars, the operators overlays a donut onto the 3D scan of the steering wheel, overlays the pedals, etc. The operator then generally sends commands like
>turn the wheel 30 degrees left
>depress the throttle 1/4 of the way for 3 seconds
>stop and wait for further commands

If the throttle is super sensitive and starts to send the robot towards a wall, it won't know what to do (though it wouldn't be too hard to change that).

True autonomy is on the way and things like machine deep learning are providing awesome results for allowing robots to learn what things are or how to accomplish tasks like a real animal or human. The main issue at the moment is that skills learned through deep learning aren't really transferable at the moment; teach a robot that cars are capable of rolling motion and it'll struggle to apply that logic to a wagon / cart. Or if you taught it how to use a pistol, it wouldn't know how to use a rifle, at least not in a proper way (maybe it'd try pic related)
>>
>>30505526
This was actually made by Crye Precision. The shoulder armor and LAP panels show up every now and then but as far as I know, the forearm, bicep and thigh plates never made it
>>
>>30506199
Nothing, it's just not practical. There is a need for products like this, but so few units are actually willing to pay for them so production usually ends in the double digits.
>>
>>30506614
Well it's practical to a degree it's usually just favored for more specialist roles like vehicle crews who get fired on from all directions
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
>>30505526
Tyr tactical makes a similar kit
>>
>>30506614
There's also the matter of guys not wanting to be loaded up with a shit ton of plating, certainly not in 120 degree deserts.
>>
>>30506409
>but I'm leaning towards Pike for system weight+flexibility
You do know that the Pike is the heavier and less flexible option of the two. The Army's plan is to adopt the XM25 early next year and a couple years after adopt the 40mm SAGM airburst grenades to supplement the XM25 for shorter range engagements. The Pike is more specialized for engaging light vehicles.
>>
>>30506730
>pike
>weighs about a pound
>heavier option
>>
>>30506754
>weighs about a pound
You mean a pound and a half? The 25mm grenades the XM25 uses for comparison weigh ~1/3 of a pound.

>heavier option
An M320 and 8 Pike grenade/rockets weighs about the same as an XM25 and 10 25mm grenades. Yes, ammo adds up quickly when each round weighs 1.5 lbs.
>>
>>30506550
Some of these are actually fairly accurate.

It misses quite a few major changes, but for the times this is quite impressive
>>
>>30505751
bullshit, like the enemy won't crap their BDUs even after dumping ballast when an exoskeleton comes through a wall with a gas turboshaft engine screaming bloody murder

even more so if they can make a whistle for the exhaust that turns the sonic whine into a bass grumble
>>
>>30506550
What's the date on this?

If it's from 190X or thereabouts, it's one of the most accurate sets of predictions I've ever seen, despite the obvious misses.
>>
>>30506730
>>30506831
My fault, I should have been more specific.

I meant for the Pike to be used outside of normal 40mm range, thus reducing the number of Pike rounds required in your proposed loadout. Within normal range, 40mm contact/airbursting grenades would be used (the suit/weapon could handle calculating the trajectory and display an estimated impact point for the user, partially negating the XM-25's flat trajectory advantage in aiming).

As far as intended targets go, I see the Pike as being an excellent solution to the problem of MGs firing from outside rifle (or even XM-25) range.

A lot of the comparison does depend on just how many rounds a squad needs, though. That's something else that power armor could help with.
>>
>>30505461

It's actually somewhat curious that they were willing to break from their "50s, lel" aesthetic for a moment to reference this.
>>
>>30504568
took me a while to see it hahaha
>>
>>30504700
It's faggy and it's practically paintball, kill yourself
>>
>>30502640
Fucking kek
>>
Anybody else thinking about how a PA trooper can be a crew-served weapon?

i.e. carrying something like the High Impulse Weapon System on a shoulder-swing rig with a handful of 75mm shells strapped to the calfplates or faulds while a regular pair of boots aids them in loading and takes up vanguard while the trooper runs point and suppression; strength-assist allowing troopers to haul an HMG as a primary with a soft-armor assistant on the belt, etc
>>
>>30507701
>High Impulse Weapon System
how about just a mortar and a buttload of shells? Or a light machine gun with 3 spare barrels and twice the ammo. I'm thinking existing weaponry but a whole lot more of it
>>
>>30507753
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyAl9qK3Rlg
>>
>>30507753
mortar needs to be dropped in the tube, HIWS, see >>30507766
loads from the breach

now an LMG with spare barrels in an integral rotary would be neat
>>
>>30502378

Because futurists except there to be the same revolutionary changes to the military that WWI, WWII, and the opening years of the cold war gave us. They do not stop to ask why those happened in the first place.

Investment in land warfare technology fell off hard in the 1880s. It did not stop, but it did slow down. Only the french, Germans, and the UK even tried to fully field true state of the art technology for their armies. For example at the start of WWI Italy only had something like 1300 working machine guns across 3 different models types to its name. WWI caused military technology to get to the place it could of been, and honesty things like planes & tank could of had more development before hitting the limits of their material science at the time. There was then a 12 years period were investment land warfare technology fell off hard.

The only places that really tried their hands at it was the USSR and Japan, neither of which were field leaders at the time. France and the UK were still putting in halfhearted effort. The build up to WWII happened that change every thing.

Now states started to do long range development and research projects. They cached up with what was possible to do and also funded the shit out of material science research. They actively moved the possible forward. The last time states had really done that was during the golden years of the naval races, and that was largely focused in metallurgy, naval architecture, and power generation. This new wave lifted everything, and did not stop with the close of WWII. I would say that around 1954 it started to slow with funding into have diminishing returns.

Why 1954? That is because that is the year the first planes that where worth keeping active for their service life started to make it into use.

What does this mean for futurists on the subject of military technology advancements?
>>
File: f-22-rear-qtr-vapor-burner.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f-22-rear-qtr-vapor-burner.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1080
>>30507801
That most changes will be evolutionary rather then revolutionary. The only thing that I can think of were that is not the case is the start of the fifth-generation fighter. The F-22 greatly raised the bar for all truly new designs (as in not updates) after it. It heavily outclass the best cold war era fighters, the F-15E Strike Eagle & Su-27. It is important to note that the Advanced Tactical Fighter program had been delayed a not small length of time. It is likely that is the cause of the F-22 being so much more capable then the best before it.
>>
Because futurists do not understand the concept of "wear and tear".

If I designed military tech, I'd design it to not break.
>>
>>30507919

Also, futurists still don't understand the idea of us struggling with guys less advanced than us.

No one saw the IED coming, because it was "radio shack-tier". But that didn't make it any less dangerous to the latest technology.
>>
>>30502378
Budget limitations.

Equipment being made by the lowest bidder.

Pvt. Jamal, Pfc. Javier, and Sgt. Jimmy just aren't worth it.
>>
>>30504867
>>30505546
>>30505581
>>30505678
Allauh akbar my friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXeUkrlxQ98
>>
>>30508444
Holy shit thank you
>>
>>30506697
>>30505526
its funny how armor always fails to keep up with weapons. i mean we went from some metal armor in the roman empire to full knight and then said "fuck it, armor wont do shit" in world war 1 and 2. we're almost coming full circle with these designs
>>
>>30507214
Published in 1900.
>>
>>30507297
I saw it first. ;_;
I went very very scared and confused.
Then I did spot the dude's nose at last.
But too late it was, the damage was done.
An autist I may be.

Can I has some cuddling ?
>>
>>30510130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
>>
File: NCR_Ranger_combat_armor.png (1 MB, 850x680) Image search: [Google]
NCR_Ranger_combat_armor.png
1 MB, 850x680
>>30504700
needs a duster
>>
>>30506718
You'd have figured that we'd have air conditioning that works worth a damn in all our vehicles by now.
>>
File: Capture+_2016-07-05-18-59-49.png (699 KB, 1400x946) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-07-05-18-59-49.png
699 KB, 1400x946
>>30502378
>Unlocked by voice command

>Stuck in gunfight with americans
>They have powerful futuristic weapons while i have my trusty ak
>Scream "SAFETY ON!"
>Their guns stop firing.
>Gun them down.
>>
>>30502378
Because the "futurists" rarely get anything right
>>
>>30507932
>No one saw the IED coming
There was nothing new about land mines or IED's

Everyone would have seen the issue with doing occupation patrols in humvees
>>
File: 6661023.jpg (65 KB, 474x519) Image search: [Google]
6661023.jpg
65 KB, 474x519
>>30506409
>LSAT XM-25 Pike TrackingPoint sensor fusion
It is all pile of crap. Minuscule advantage comparing to true things. Real future is hunter killer drones.
>>
File: 88.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1317) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
348 KB, 1920x1317
>>30507801
>For example at the start of WWI Italy only had something like 1300 working machine guns
>He fell for le-machinegun meme
>>
>>30505751
What? The small turbine proposals are quiet enough that they can generally only be heard from as far as the next room, or the length of the house at most. Given the typical role of power armor and the changes it can bring to doctrine and tactics, having it be just barely audible in the same building is seriously not a significant issue, and a complete non-issue when the shooting starts.
>>
>>30506550
Correctly predicts
>Refrigeration
>Television
>Long distance Telephone
>Food storage standards
>Cook-Chill foods
>Air conditioning
>Military aircraft, both for transport and combat
>Widespread adoption of automobiles
>Elimination of Horses from common use
>Fast trains
>Remote purchasing
>Population growth
>Subways replacing street cars
>Education reforms improving education access for poor children
>Submarine warships are a major component of navies
>Armored vehicles exist
>Increase in average height related to better health and nutrition

Wrong about about
>Elimination of pest insects
>Extinction of wild animals
>Universally free college level Education
>Aircraft not overtaking ships for passenger transportation (though it's hard to imagine how someone could conceive of how powerful jet engines would become at that point in time)
>Produce being huge for some reason
>Major changes to the alphabet and English language
>Pneumatic tube networks

There's some debate able parts, for example there is an increasingly popular healthy living trend, but it's certainly not the case that every American can run ten miles a day. Weapons that can level cities do exist, but they aren't cannons mounted to battleships. In general the expected scale of military equipment is a bit off.

Overall they're rwally good predictions and that guy should have been a science fiction author.
>>
File: 1342224232159.jpg (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1342224232159.jpg
1 MB, 1366x768
>>30502378

I think a lot of civilians and military can't see big picture enough to forecast the technologies we will need. They try at the military professional development courses to hammer into you not to "Keep fighting the previous war" and you can see its being ignored in a lot of these technologies because they still revolve around fighting situations specific to Afghanistan and Iraq, or the completely fabricated inexperienced guesses of what a modern "near peer" situation would look like.

Best example I can think of is the continual push for better armored vehicles, to the point we've ended up with the huge as fuck Maxxpro and almost entire branches within the services dedicated to route clearance for those huge as fuck vehicles.

Now the sweeping military "reform" is taking place. The military has run into the same issue after every major conflict. We have X units that specialize in Y, now lobby congress to try and explain how they are still relevant while they are hacking through the budget and R&D programs left and right, oh you didn't donate to the First Lady's program for plus size desks in urban schools? Sorry we just couldn't find the money for your program.

The guy that can truly accurately predict the next major evolution in war has already been or will soon be passed over for promotion and enter the civilian workforce.

That reads waaay more bitter than I intended.
>>
>>30510444
GunsOfThePatriots.bluray
>>
>>30510444
>what is custom voice recognition
>>
>>30507268
i get the feeling you like it just because it isn't an XM-25
>>
>>30510970
>The guy that can truly accurately predict the next major evolution in war has already been or will soon be passed over for promotion and enter the civilian workforce.

Its true.
>>
Futurists don't understand humanity.

No one predicted the obesity epidemic. It was all "we all gonna starve to death!".
>>
File: 134774582234.jpg (292 KB, 1513x1775) Image search: [Google]
134774582234.jpg
292 KB, 1513x1775
>>30506680
Even for a vehicle gunner, that amount of armor is questionable. Maybe something a bit more top heavy as mostly the gunner's upper body is exposed while his lower half is protected by the vehicle itself.
>>
>>30502685
Just fuck my ankles up
>>
File: 1365149444_3.jpg (796 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1365149444_3.jpg
796 KB, 1920x1080
>>30502378

Hollywood consistently predicts the future better, just look at "Aliens" and "Starship Troopers"
>>
>>30502378
Because they aren't trying to turn a fursuit into power armor, anon.
>>
>>30513475
>Starship troopers

You're right, massed infantry without artillery, armour or air is clearly the future of warfare.
>>
>>30516388
>Starship troopers

Movie or book?
>>
>>30516388
In the book the MI was a mechanized infantry unit that deployed in drop pod,wore power armor,and used tactical nukes
>>
File: 3963244-2523411533-9cfaa.jpg (127 KB, 589x575) Image search: [Google]
3963244-2523411533-9cfaa.jpg
127 KB, 589x575
>>30502378
If I live 400 years in the future and didn't look
like pic related I'd rather just fucking die
>>
>>30516575
>>30516497
Anon mentioned hollywood, so I was going off of the film
>>
>>30502640
If 3d printing gets beyond weak polymers, they could make bespoke boots for everyone
>>
>>30516620
The movie was antique satire and people like it because it's silly and so satirical that it's /k/ as fuck. But the movies are shit compared to the novel. The novel is a really important story for anyone who wants to be a soldier and fight wars. The libshit director of the movie ruined it
>>
>>30516717
>The libshit director of the movie ruined it

Its just banter m8, the movies fun.
>>
File: 1467594924391.jpg (3 MB, 2970x3959) Image search: [Google]
1467594924391.jpg
3 MB, 2970x3959
>>30510444
>Implying it will hear anything over the yelling and gunfire
>>
>>30502685
I wish Total Recall was right about subway trains having TVs for you to watch on the way to work.

That would have been nice.
>>
>>30502724
Poison bullets.

Coat bullets in a poison that is lethal at 0.1PPM. You'd only need one shot with a .22 to kill anyone.
>>
>>30502378
>>30502520
There are some people that get it right, the problem is that it's rarely flashy sci-fi writers or someone like Popular Science, it's usually the dystopian novelists.
>>
>>30502732
The news said 2015 and 16 have been the most violent periods in human history. Millions of refugees are being displaced and in turn displacing natives.
>>
>>30520598
We've got phones instead
>>
>>30502989
The airforce already has piloting AI that will (100% success rate so far) beat 4 human pilots at once, even when the humans have superior planes.
>>
>>30509584
That's not what's happened at all though you fucking summer piece of shit.
>>
>>30502378
Their reference frame comes back to the middle ages and armor and humans being valuable almost every time.
>>
>>30503805
>henry maxim
>>
>>30520617
The news was wrong. Less than a century ago, millions of people were dying in the same grand conflicts; those who were merely displaced were lucky. Today's proxy wars are the table scraps left by the cold war's fallout, and pale in comparison to the hottest wars the planet's ever seen. And while today's sectarian conflicts are as gruesome as ever, casualty counts are rarely above triple digit figures.

Nationalistic media wants you to be afraid above anything else. Fear for your guns, fear for your economic security, fear for your life, and cling to your government and your nation and your in-groups, as if they could ever truly protect you from chaos. "The world is in peril, but we know how to guide you through it, on the One True Path!"

Life is suffering, sure, but people have been hacking each other to bits since we learned to use tools. At least we're not dying from stupid shit like polio, and even starvation isn't the global menace it used to be. 2016 isn't perfect, and maybe 2017 won't be better, but I'll still take it over 1917, 1947, '67 or '87 or '07.
>>
>>30520756
>Nationalistic media wants you to be afraid above anything else.

You're implying that modern media isn't liberal as fuck and spouting the multiculturalism message at every opportunity. Voters are becoming more inclined towards anti immigration, regardless.
>>
>>30520862
You misunderstand what "liberal" means. Yes, it's liberal. That's why it's nationalistic.
>>
>>30516578
we need spess nazis
>>
>>30502378
Memes.

It's the same reason why morans think 3d printers are the future. An actual understanding of the technology and it's limitations blatantly say otherwise.
It's because memes help you sell shit, it's not actually about what is the best possibility or most feasible option.

Saying that eventually notably more people will have semi-standardized cnc machinery isn't as exploitable as '3d printed, excite, look at our product, memes!'.

>tl;dr they just want to sell shit and it's easier to trick than to convince
>>
Because it's hard to literally predict the future, fuckrod.
>>
>>30506220
>try to convince anybody who needs 3 monitors and decent amount of computing power for work to step down from his PC to tablet
Non-local computing. The revolution has already begun.
There will be secondary forms of tablets that only stream from a desktop within 10 years. By 2035 tablets will pretty much only be a display with wifi and a battery.
>>
>>30502685

Projectile weapons are the most outdated technology we as a civilization still utilize. We use fucking holographic lasers to aim what is basically the 21st century musket. Has no one realized that we need a paradigm shift?
>>
>>30521300
>Has no one realized that we need a paradigm shift?
We have had numerous better alternatives for about 70 years, we don't use them because then the faggots from the 19th century win. The winner of a battle/war should not be the first to act, that just isn't fair.
>>
>>30505594
Ah, good memories...
>>
>>30521300
>We need a paradigm shift
But we don't, projectile weapons are still dead killy.

Don't fix what ain't broke.
>>
>>30510942
>>Major changes to the alphabet and English language
Have you ever spoken to a nigger? Their language skills are on fleek desu senpai lol
>>
>>30521281
Thats a really cool idea.
>>
>>30502520

How old is that picture?

Aside from being energyhog plasma screen, things on screen isn't that far off from current reality. Shit like webcam and microphones for video calls over internet didn't become that common until quite recently, the surprising thing with that is the fact the moment those became common was the fact it became mobile at same time.

The thing with making predictions hard is how hard some things are to engineer in practice.

>>30502640

kek
>>
>>30510942
>Produce being huge for some reason
Many vegetables are absolutely massive compared to 100 years ago due to more knowledge about the growth processes of the plants and breeding/gmo. Also, the pea doesn't have to be as large as a beet if the plant grows twice as fast as it did and produces twice as much.
>>
File: RAHgradpic1929small.jpg (17 KB, 215x318) Image search: [Google]
RAHgradpic1929small.jpg
17 KB, 215x318
>>30516769
>>30516717

Technically the directer was a civilian in World War 2, getting bombed as a kid.

It's kinda hard to be supportive of the book, with that background. The Germans became very pacifist as a reaction to WWII, and the director's outlook reflects this.

Heinlein (a fellow German by ancestry), by contrast, was shaped by his American Naval background. It's a background cut short for medical reasons. Heinlein never got to be a military officer.

It's interesting how one's country shapes outlook. German-Americans (I'm one-seventh myself) are no doubt much more militaristic than Germans in Germany.
>>
>>30521640
>It's interesting how one's country shapes outlook. German-Americans (I'm one-seventh myself) are no doubt much more militaristic than Germans in Germany.
And in large part they went to the US to avoid draft and other realities of prussian militarism.
>>
>>30521300
>Projectile weapons are the most outdated technology we as a civilization still utilize
Knives.
>>
>>30510130
What the fuck is wrong with you faggot
>>
>>30521335
>We have had numerous better alternatives for about 70 years

Name one.
>>
>>30521658

Yes. But a lot of the "generic" no-hyphenated white Americans out there are actually German by ancestry (World War I pretty much assimilated the ethnicity heavily in America).
>>
File: fugg.jpg (46 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
fugg.jpg
46 KB, 960x960
>>30520612
It's always some dystopian thing
>>
>>30521883
nukes
bio-weapons
chemical weapons
>>
File: 2343890698.jpg (29 KB, 640x370) Image search: [Google]
2343890698.jpg
29 KB, 640x370
>>30521902

Also, both Nimitz and Eisenhower (his family name was originally Eisenhauser) were German-Americans.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brat Pitt's character in "Fury" was German by ancestry.
>>
>>30521949
As we know all of them can be carried by single soldiers and used with minimal collateral damage, right?
>>
>>30516695
3D printing has been beyond ``weak polymers" since forever.
The engines on SpaceX's Falcon-9 were 3D printed using metal sintering techniques.

But yes, there has admittedly been no progress on 3D printing silicones and other polymers that have curing times, for obvious reason.
I could see some company like DuPont engineering some sort of extremely viscous rubber-like material, so that we could potentially ignore curing times in the first place.
However, I don't think that the bottlenecks in custom-fit production are in the sole production process anyways.
>>
>>30516717
>The novel is a really important story for anyone who wants to be a soldier and fight wars.

All of your time will be spent having political discussions with surprisingly erudite enlisted men, 99% of all warfare will be conducted with orbital bombardment, on the rare occasion you're actually needed you're going to strap yourself into a wearable robot and Super Mario Bros. your way around the battlefield tossing tactical nukes and using flamethrowers, then you'll die.
>>
>>30516578
>clips
>>
>>30521640
Paul Verhoeven is Dutch, not German.

When it comes to Americans being more militaristic, no shit. In Europe pretty much everyone old enough to remember war had personal experience of horrors of war, while in US only frontline servicemen had to deal with that shit.

When it comes to Heinlein, the fact that he didn't fight in war certainly had effect on how he considered war and probably some feelings of inadequacy.
>>
>>30522831
The thing that you have to remember with Heinlein is that everything he wrote was in service to a boner. Sometimes that boner was metaphorical, other times literal.
>>
>>30502520

>Keyboard
>Tablet digitizer
>flat screen
>internet
>webcam and microphone
>graphics

nigga I got all that shit on my convertible laptop right now except the printer, and friends to have pictures of.
>>
>>30509584

>its funny how armor always fails to keep up with weapons.

U wot m8

>no significant technological advancement in infantry weapons since the invention of the gas-rotating bolt in 1900.

>armor has gone from essentially nonexistant to relatively decent at stopping shrapnel over the head and torso, to capable of stopping any practical infantry round on a 10x12" square over the vitals

The pinnacle of weaponry's advantage over armor was in the1950s-1960s, when nylon or steel was your only option for infantry armor, and even tank armor was considered dead weight given the advancement of shaped charge weapons.
>>
>>30522927
Sometimes it was both.
>>
>>30521960
It's pretty heavily implied.
>>
File: LEL.png (194 KB, 330x320) Image search: [Google]
LEL.png
194 KB, 330x320
>>30522188
Kek

Though the Federation government system sounds quite based
>>
>>30521300
Many companies have developed non projectile weapons and projectile weapons using alternative propulsion. They all suck compared to powder propelled projectile weapons.
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.