[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
knife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 20160701_112643.jpg (472 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160701_112643.jpg
472 KB, 1280x720
Sup /k/
I was painting something in my dads garage today and found this here knife while rummaging around a bit. I remember whaking bushes with it when I was a kid. Idk where it's from or if it's trash or not. I think my grandpa brought it from somewhere but I might be wrong.

Anyway, I'd like to restore it. As you can see it's pretty dirty but there doesn't seem to be any rust. The edge is very dull tho and the grip is kinda loose, I can move it around aproximately 1-2 mm.

What should I do? Can anyone identify it? Is this thing worth anything? If not I will just use it for home defense.

I'm in germany btw.
>>
File: 20160701_112650.jpg (410 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160701_112650.jpg
410 KB, 1280x720
>>30463948
Pic of the grip
>>
Not sure what it is, really, but I like the blade shape, looks like a fine chopper. How thick is the blade? The black part of the grip looks wonky as fuck, but the bird is kinda cool. Take a look at the bottom of the knife / atop of the bird's head. If you see something in colour of the blade metal, it could be that this is the tang of the blade. If so, you're golden, you can tighten the assembly by just putting the blade in a vice (use some wood or heavy cloth so you don't scratch the blade) and smash the tang a little like you would with a rivet. If not, well, no helping you there, really. But you still could take the hilt off and make a new one and keep using the blade.
>>
File: 20160701_112714.jpg (465 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160701_112714.jpg
465 KB, 1280x720
>>30463957
It's pretty thick, around 3-4mm at the back. Very sturdy.
On top of the Eagle is what you described, so I think the blade actually goes all the way through. I will try your suggestion to tighten the grip.

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>30463948
>knife

Check the catalog before making threads you lazy turd, there are already 2 knife threads.

Are there any marks on the blade or scabbard?
>>
File: 20160701_112721.jpg (443 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160701_112721.jpg
443 KB, 1280x720
>>30463957
Yeah not sure what the black part of the grip is. I left the knife in the garage because that's where all the tools are anyway, so unfortunately I can't take a closer look right now.
But I think it's some plastic, but might be wood too.
>>
>>30464007
Sorry, will post there next time.
I don't think there are any marks. The scabbard is pretty beat to shit, don't think it's salvageable.
>>
No problem. It would be a shame to let a working blade you share memories with go to waste. As I said, clamp the blade a little below the crossguard in a vice, as vertical as you manage, and gently, with a small-ish hammer, try to rivet it down. You might try to use a blowtorch or something to anneal the tang, but I'm not really sure about that. Afterwards, you might want to clean the scabbard and oil the leather, maybe drop some oil inside as well. For the blade, try scraping some of the rust with a rough side of a DRY dishwashing sponge, then proceed to use increasing grits of sandpaper. Then, resharpen it and you're golden. If you've got any questions, ask away, I made a few knives and I'd be happy to help restore this thing to working order.
>>
>>30464028
came here to say this.
>>
>>30464028
Thanks, I will try that and post in one of the knife threads. Might be a couple of weeks tho, so don't wait on me.

How would I best go about sharpening it?
We got an electric grindstone in the garage, you think that would work?

As for the scabbard, I will try and clean it but it feels pretty brittle. But maybe the oil will help.
>>
>>30464036
Thx, I guess. :D
>>30464044
You'll see. A blade without a sheath/scabbard is a hassle. But you germanfags are crafty, I'm sure that if it won't hold, you could make a sheath with some basic tools and instructions. Oiling should help a lot with the brittleness, but on one of the pics, it looks pretty cracked. Well, give it a go, it's not like you need a lot of time and special oils. Cooking oil will do.

And make a separate thread, I don't go on the knife threads, most of the knives there are ugly as sin. Maybe label it "restoration thread" or whatever. Might spawn some cool pics and stories about restoring and rescuing beaten up stocks and bayonets and stuff.

I am not sure what to think of when you say electric grindstone. It sounds scary and bad. Just go with the basic ol' grindstones. Or ask a friend. Just don't fuck the thing up.

Farewell, kraut, the other, other czechfag, out.
>>
>>30463948
looks like a poorly taken care off novelty piece of crap.
>>
File: 12736996329.jpg (18 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
12736996329.jpg
18 KB, 200x200
>>30464070
Thanks, much appreciated. I will make a proper thread with lots of pics when I get around to restoring it.

Pic related is what I meant. Has two grindstones that rotate, one is to be used wet, the other is dry.

Not gonna fuck it up. Don't know much about blades but I've restored other metal parts before.
>>
>>30464089
Oh, this fucking thing. I hate it's guts when used for actual "sharpening" instead of grinding material away like you would with an anglegrinder. Just use a common grindstone, and if there's large nicks or blunt sections, use a file. Steer clear of electric bullshit. Good luck!
Oh, and the other anon is right about that it is most likely a novelty, but still, you have memories and the blade is servicable, plus I find the eagle nice enough to be kept around, so... your choice.
>>
>>30464089
You'll ruin the blade temper with a grinder
>>
>>30464108
>>30464143
Allright I'll steer clear of electric grinders. I'm gonna restore it even if it's not valuable or crazy old. It's sturdy and at least 25 years old, and I felt like a badass walking around innawoods with the blade and my fiberglass bow... today I'd get arrested for that.

Maybe I will have a son someday and it can continue to be some kind of family heirloom.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.