[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's it like being trilingual?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1318801020001.jpg (38 KB, 137x234) Image search: [Google]
1318801020001.jpg
38 KB, 137x234
I'm only a bi one so far, and even now I'm forgetting words in my native language.

>talking with few friends on teamspeak
>one of them says something stupid and I try to correct him that history does not agree with that
>"historia"
>"history"
>"historie"
>i'm panicking at this point, firing off words rapidly
>"histo" "his" "his" "hist...." "OH"
>"történelem"
>they're laughing their asses off

What if in order to learn a third language, you have to forget things to make space in your brain?
>>
Exactly the same as being bilingual, you just know another language and that's it.
>>
>>59131176
>you just know another language and that's it.
That's not exactly true, when you learn another language you absorb a great deal of foreign culture, history, also their way of thinking.

Plus quite often the languages mix unintentionally so you blurt out English words instead of Hungarian ones for example. Or you think a sentence in one language but when you say it, the words get translated but the sentence structure isn't so it sounds like you're retarded. Or when you get drunk you start speaking more and more in both languages until nobody can understand you.
>>
When I lived in Austria I knew a Canadian that was fluent in French (European French from going to a French school there, he wasn't Quebecois) and German and he had the same problem with constantly forgetting words in English. I also knew a Russian that was fluent in his native language as well as English and German that never made any mistakes and had a flawless accent in all three. I think it just depends on the person.
>>
Frankly, being a polyglot feels abnormal! t. [rarer ethnic group] member cucked by [populous ethnic cult group] members
>>
>>59132303
>had a flawless accent in all three.
God I hate people who have flawless accents.
>>
Learning another language can't cure autism, OP
>>
>>59131126
That's not how it works famalam. Our brains don't really seem to have a maximum capacity, and if they do that capacity is high enough to record every single event of a lifetime and more.

If god exists then he's the most competent engineer to have ever existed.
>>
File: 1453298952954.jpg (130 KB, 661x570) Image search: [Google]
1453298952954.jpg
130 KB, 661x570
It's really great, at least in my area.

>be me, studying and need spending money
>apply for job as cashier, mention i speak both english and german
>basically instantly hired.

In small countries like mine, knowing many languages is basically a guaranteed job. Good demand for stuff like translators here as well.

TL;DR: Learn some languages mate
>>
>>59131126
I don't know, pretty average. It's nothing special here in Slovenia.

Sometimes, I can't remember Slovene equivalents for English words because I mostly use dialect words. Other than that, I have no problems with languages like that.

A Slovene intellectual back in the 18th century spoke 18 languages, if I remember correctly, so your theory doesn't hold any water.
>>
File: 1461048839358.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
1461048839358.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>59134903
>Slovene intellectual
>>
>>59135011
>speaking 18 languages
>not an intellectual

Anyway, I checked and he actually spoke 19.
>>
Is local language count in this case?
>>
>>59135214
Do you mean dialect?
>>
>>59135214
What local languages are there in Japan other than Ainu and Okinawan? Japanese dialects aren't distinct enough to be considered separate languages.
>>
>>59131126
>>59132788
Asians languages such Slavic and Tagalog are very different from European languages so that might be why you're so confused.
>>
>>59135441
>Asians languages such Slavic

a-anon.... pls tell me you're trolling
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.