[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part to learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: image.png (104 KB, 1800x820) Image search: [Google]
image.png
104 KB, 1800x820
Non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part to learn? Why did you learn it? Were you taught British or American English?
>>
>>56467883
>what was the hardest part to learn?
grammar

>Why did you learn it?
to yell at people online

>Were you taught British or American English?
RP in school but everyone learns american english because its easier and not as backward or ends up doing a mix of both
>>
In school we were taught mostly Bri'ish English, but being more exposed to its Murrican incarnation, I'm now using a random hybrid at least when writing, alternating spellings as I feel like

Hardest was/is definitely the many tenses, my dialectal German for example has only two "pasts"
>I have done
>I had done (this one is rather rarely used, only to stress something happened really long ago or before another thing in the past you are just talking about)
while with English you have to tell apart
>I did
>I was doing
>I've done
>I've been doing
>I had done
>I had been doing
Likewise we have no future (pun intended), we just contextually use the present
>Tomorrow I do that
while English forces you to decide between "I will do" and "I'm going to do" and rarely also our "I do", multiplied x2 with all the "-ing" forms

And then Anglos tell me with a straight face "German grammar is hard", kek
>>
>>56467883
>Retarded ass grammar
>Had to. Went to a private English school
>British English
>>
English was super easy to learn. In a couple months I started speaking fluently. But then again I was really young when I moved here.
>>
From my perspective it depends on the nationality in question

Sweden and Netherlands seem to use mostly American English

France seems to use British English

Some words they'll use British English for, plough seems to be more used than plow, sulphur rather than sulfur too. -ize seems to always be used over -ise but -ize is British English too so it's a bit of a moot point
>>
tenses
I usually guess which one I should use according to what I have learnt by reading or listening.
>>
>>56468312

Because a lot of our words in french can be litteraly translated in the english version.

The word "version", exactly the same.
Thanks William the conqueror obv.
>>
>>56468312
>plough
Well at least in that case it's easier to connect as we have "Pflug". Same with "arse" being closer to our "Arsch" than "ass" is (at least in writing)
>>
>>56468407

I realise, I once saw a Frog use aluminum instead of aluminum though, despite the fact that you use the aluminium spelling in French

I'm glad we share so many words though, just by knowing English you already know a huge amount of French words and by relation a huge amount of Romance language words, or very close derivatives of them
>>
>>56467883
grammar

>why did you learn it?
to move to the US

British, because my English teacher in grade school was from Jamaica I'd assume it would be British English.
>>
pronounce and accent

the language itself isn't difficult for us at all. but schools don't teach in a serious way.
>>
>>56468800
I never had issues with this, I am a very passable American, most people don't even know i'm not a citizen.
>>
>>56468800

What accent are you taught? I remember reading about an American English teacher in France who found it very difficult to teach because all the resources used RP but he spoke in an American accent which confused the students i.e. he'd say "lid-el" rather than "Lit-el" when pronouncing little
>>
>>56468860
Probably because you live there so easier to immerse yourself
>>
can't think of anything that i'd really call "hard" about english but there are definitely some annoyances including:

- knowing the proper emphasis for some words, like deTERmine instead of deterMINE
- knowing when the letter s turns to a voiced sound
- words that seem familiar but mean completely different things, such as vowel instead of vocal
>>
>>56468881
Prefer aldi personally
>>
Probably past tense, too many arbitrary rules. And accent. That shit doesn't make sense.
>>
>>56468953

>knowing when the letter s turns to a voiced sound

example?
>>
>>56468307
but you have murrican flag
>>
>>56468986
vision
>>
Multi-part verbs
>>
>>56468881
Like 99% of teachers here use brittish english, and our books are written in brittish english

But I was refering to the language pronounce itself. It might have to do with english being heavily influenced by romance and latin but using their own pronounce, it makes students confused.

F.ex "table" "idea" we have to say it like "teibol" "aidia" to approach the correct pronounce but still can't do it right. But then we have "tabla" and "idea" whose pronounce are TOTALLY different.

These kind of things fucks all
>>
>>56467883
random pronounciation
>Why did you learn it?
it's useful
british
>>
>>56468249
have you ever try to learn spanish, spanish has the to bad things of english and german which would be:
>english
various past and futures

>german
words with gender and cases being: der den dem = el lo al
>>
>>56469110
>>Were you taught British or American English?
>british

yes, falklands are british after all, desu
>>
>>56469012

Oh, so when it turns into a z sound rather than an unvoiced s sound, that can depend on accent and I'm not sure there's any logic to it

>>56469108

I found that pretty easy when learning the different pronunciations French uses
>>
>>56467883
When English speakers write on bad English (because they are cool for school), and you take it as legit English .

>Why did you learn it?
I don't find much resources on Arabic or French.

On school British, but internet taught me American and made me forget the bloody British.
>>
>>56467883
nothing, actually, is a pretty easy language

>Why did you learn it?
i kind of auto-learned it just by being in the internet, so i didn't have an actual reason

american english
>>
Which accent to foreign anons generally prefer, British or American? Not in terms of which is easier, but the way they both sound to the ear.

How good are anons at telling the difference between various native English-speaking accents?
>>
>>56469435
well, it's easy to difference british accent and murican accent, but differencing local murican accent (like cali accent and texas accent) it's pretty hard

and i prefer british accent
>>
>>56469289
>because they are too cool for school

Because its a living language with slang
>>
>>56469435
I like the American accent but it is easier to hear the British accent
>>
>>56469435
mostly I prefer the sound of british english and I only can difference between british, caribbean muhrican and maybe australian accent

but when it comes to american english I can tell the difference between some of them, but can't tell which one is from what zone or state
>>
>>56469664
Don't get me wrong, I shitpost too on forums, social media on Arabic. But if I'm writing a blog post I try to write on REAL Arabic.
>>
>>56469435
do british women consider the american accent as sexy because it's foreign like american women do with the british accents?
>>
>>56469727
>>56469530
Wait, so you guys can't tell the difference between a Texan accent and North-Eastern one?
>>
>>56469736
I'd imagine so, but probably not some poor southern accent
>>
Grammar desu. In school I learnt british english, but in college I was taught american english, so I have a weird mixture of both.
>>
>>56469289

Grammar especially is hard for natives to use correctly, because we write with the sound of the words in mind, which is why to/too and there/their are such common mistakes, even well educated people generally don't know the difference between apples apple's and apples'

Depending on accent your grammar can change as well, for example in real life I'd say "can you pass us a smoke" instead of "can you pass me a smoke", but people will usually use the correct way when writing
>>
>>56469782
well texan would be an exception 2bh
>>
>>56469736
Apparently the reason foreign accents are perceived as sexy is because subconsciously it signifies that you're from a different tribe and therefore you're from a different gene pool and less likely to be weak/inbred.

Part of it is also because of the traits British women associate with American men. Confident, outgoing, they sound like people in films etc
>>
>>56469819
>Depending on accent your grammar can change as well, for example in real life I'd say "can you pass us a smoke" instead of "can you pass me a smoke", but people will usually use the correct way when writing

Ahh, nice.

We let the Arabic we speak evolve to the point that it became another language and we stick to the old Arabic when we write. And I like it like that, our spoke language become really shitty.
>>
>>56469863
so what you're saying is i would have an easy time picking up british slags?
>>
>>56469782
no, unless it's a strong one, maybe the typical texas accent you see in movies, but i don't know if texan people actually speak like that
>>
>>56469933

They're called slags for a reason
>>
>>56469933
Ridiculously easy, I'm not even exaggerating.
>>
>>56469863
>>56469933
do british/murican girls like latin/caribbean accents?

because girls here love european and murican accents
>>
>>56469933
this >>56469984 but not necessarily just with slags, what birt lad was trying to say is that any foreigner in any country would have his chance because locals would find you exotic and interesting non the less even when you have the personality of a potato
>>
correct spelling
I'm mostly a self-learner, so if I memorised some words incorrectly, I will keep making errors until someone corrects me or I see correct spelling of said word
>>
>>56469143
I actually tried to for about a year (school offered optional courses), but the combination of them being at the worst possible times (like 15:00-17:00 when the last previous course ended at 12 or 13 and I had no car back then) and the whole ser/estar bullshit and even worse tenses than Fremnch and English combined made me quit after a while. Still can make some rudimentary sense out of written Spanish though thanks to my French classes which I took for 6 years
>>
>>56469863
This
>>
>>56469933
all fellow anglos have an easy time picking up british slags (except canadians and kiwis)
>>
>>56470059
Definitely. Any Spanish-language accents are a massive plus. I can't vouch for English-speaking Caribbean accents like Jamaican, some girls probably would but Latin accents definitely have the upper hand.
>>
>>56469863

Sounds like rubbish to me, no one's going to find a Geordie or Southern accent attractive, it's more to do with the stereotypes associated with the accent in my opinion.

If what you said was true and it implied tribe signalling, then surely speaking a completely different language would be even more attractive than a different accent

>>56470208

Gotta love it when Aussies think their accent sounds any less ridiculous than ours, I guarantee they couldn't even tell the difference
>>
Probably pronunciation, but it came fast enough

>Why did you learn it?
I liked the language, constantly listened to the Beatles at 6-7 yo, so I picked a book in English and read it with a dictionary at my side

British English - I had an old teacher that kept telling BS with an exaggerated British accent, like him meeting the queen or this kind of crap.
Then like everyone else ITT I became accustomed to american english.
>>
>>56470262
the difference is as soon as you say you're aussie everyone jumps all over you, but if you say you're from new zealand it's just 'literally who?'
>>
>>56470059

No it sounds like the gardener
>>
>>56470260
what why??!! I always think Jamaican sound fucking cool, I even like it more than British
>>
>>56470059
you mean British right?
>>
>>56470351
dude weed lmao
>>
>>56470059
idk, but we find Latin@s pretty hot here with or without the accent
>>
>>56470466

You mean spaniards otherwise they sound like the trolls my father hired to take care of his lawn
>>
>>56470059
No, they think you sound like the people who cut their grass.
>>
>>56470311

You can say you're from wherever you like, when I was in the US I seperately told different people I was from England, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland and they all believed me
>>
>>56467883
Pronounciation
Come on it's current year
British at the beginning at last
>>
>>56470311
kek a lot of people can't tell the difference between an aussie and a kiwi, especially among americans

tbhwy, if you speak with any foreign accent you'll find someone who thinks its sexy
>minus india
>sorry india, it's true
>>
>>56470466
and then theres this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9EhbBo1Yc
>>
File: 1457406933822.jpg (43 KB, 414x604) Image search: [Google]
1457406933822.jpg
43 KB, 414x604
Serious question: do Brits have to go to school to learn Received Pronunciation? As in, are most posh British people born with a regional/village accent that they "unlearn" at school and replace with RP? And if this is the case, can an American learn RP with some effort? It is very interesting to me that Brits place value on their elite learning a "proper" accent. We used to do that here until around the 1960s... seriously every President ever spoke with that Mid Atlantic nasal accent until JFK was killed and it ended with him.
>>
>>56470351

There's a lot of Jamaican influence in some English accents, generally associated with poor criminals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAuIZ3_W1s
>>
File: BscVZGwIEAA5Hx_.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
BscVZGwIEAA5Hx_.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
>>56470464
dude
>>
>>56470535
>>minus india
>>sorry india, it's true
I would add China, or any other country which we get thousands of immigrants from. They're not exotic in the slightest (not to mention their languages sound shit)
>>
>>56470351
I think the Jamaican accent's one of the coolest, but I dunno if I'd necessarily say it was 'attractive' in the strictest sense. Like if a girl had a ridiculously strong Jamaican accent it doesn't scream sexiness, even if it is awesome. That's just me though.
>>
>>56470273
>old teacher kept telling BS with an exaggerated British accent
I'm glad this goes both ways. That was what my French teacher was like.
My favorite BS was when she told me the French word for "viola." She said it was "viol."
Can you imagine the look on my host's face when I said "Je joue le viol"? fug
>>
>>56470551

No that's where they were from. There is no elite accent like in France or the U.K
>>
>>56470513
You can do that as an American too if you have the right accent.
British people thought I was Australian, and Australians thought I was British.
>>
>>56470581
>>56470594
oh, I get you now
>>
>>56470551
Kind of. Posh people grow up speaking RP at home because their parents do and so does everyone in their area. Then their parents send them to posh schools which just reinforce them learning to speak like that.

Newscasters and media people etc, enunciate more but it's not completely necessary to have perfect RP. There's a Welsh BBC News presenter called Huw Edwards, he speaks with a more Welsh influenced RP.
>>
>>56470513
Thats because yanks are retards. I've only travelled to countries with decent education systems.
>>
>>56469435

I speak with the generic mid-west American accent, and I think British accents simply sound more educated. Americans immediately respect British people innately because their very accent conveys imperialism, tradition, culture... I wish we still taught our students the Mid Atlantic accent (think 1950s baseball announcers with the slightly nasal voices) because it is the GOAT American accent. I don't dislike my accent or anything - I just find British English to have an aura of sophistication while ours is more natural and simple to hear/understand.

>>56469727
I have actually learned how to tell what part of the South people are from. I can pinpoint Alabama, Georgia, Appalachian, Floridian, and Louisiana/Mississippi accents pretty well these days after living down here 23 years.
>>
>>56467883
I guess it's grammar because there no one to tell about wrong choice. Also the time because there only old people using 12 hour system
>>
>>56470678

How long ago? Poms are pretty familiar with the Aussie accent now because so many of them work in bars there
>>
>>56470645
Your teacher was an absolute madman

Love the faux-amis
>raped carrots
>>
>>56470645
This one time I had a French substitute teacher who couldn't speak French. The lesson was on sensory experiences (sight, smell, etc), but when it came to "pain", she just said "pahn". Which means "bread". So we who actually spoke French were confused for a solid five minutes before we had realized that she wasn't talking about "experiencing bread".
>>
>>56470738
some of our TV shows are pretty popular over there too, even more so than here.
>>
>>56470461
not specifically, any european accent is well received by girls here
>>
>>56467883
Pronunciation
>Why did you learn it?
To talk with people on the internet
British but I barely learned anything from school, most of it I learned from movies, video games and interacting with English speakers.
>>
>>56470650

There was definitely a big emphasis on speaking with a Mid Atlantic accent for at least the first half of the 20th century. It was considered the best manner of speaking so people could hear your voice most clearly on radio as deeper voices often sounded like static in early transmissions, so people would practice the voice before any type of public speaking.

>>56470709
So cockney kids would never have their teachers say "okay children today we are going to learn to speak like proper Brits" then.
>>
>>56470551

Private and Grammar schools teach correct pronunciation, there's been more leeway given to regional accents in media there now, same as here, all media personalities spoke in RP or "the Queen's English" until around the 80's
>>
>>56470762
A breadful lesson
>>
>>56470777
ayyy lmao
>>
>>56470763

It's either Home and Away or Neighbours that got popular there right?

Godawful program, mind you there's too many people here that love Coronation St
>>
File: checked1.jpg (34 KB, 263x360) Image search: [Google]
checked1.jpg
34 KB, 263x360
>>56470777
Vérifié. Triples de la vérité.
>>
>>56470791
What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpv_IkO_ZBU

Only watch the first 16 seconds, can't stand the cuck king lookalike in this video
>>
>>56470711

First of all the "generic" american accent is from Iowa. No one was taught the mid Atlantic accent in school. RP doesn't mean respect, don't know what the fuck you are talking about here. People associate it with money.
>>
>>56470880
Yeah one of those. They're absolute drivel but apparently they have a solid following there, I suppose a lot of Brits dream of a better life over here and want to live out their fantasy.
>>
>>56470732
You don't say "let's meet at 8" when talking to friends casually? (Of course in formal or business settings you'd use 20:00 here too)
>>
>>56470959
so you would say let's meet at twenty and 0 in a business setting?
>>
>>56467883
The grammar and the retarded as fuck pronunciation. Especially words with th, gh, tr, and any variation of that. I've already given up all hope of ever being able to sound natural while speaking.
>Why did you learn it?
MMORPGs were my main motivation by far.
'murrikan
>>
File: touchy anime cunt.png (355 KB, 555x770) Image search: [Google]
touchy anime cunt.png
355 KB, 555x770
Expressing myself clearly. I learned to read English from an early age, but lacked internet access until I was older, so until then, I never got to actually use it. I pretty much learned to write from participating in /b/ flamewars.

>Why did you learn it?
I didn't mean to. I played a lot of games, so I just kind of picked it up eventually.

American, since that's what the game characters spoke.
>>
>>56470732
>>56471062

No one uses the 24 hour clock in conversation, even in a business setting. It's only used in writing
>>
>>56467883
Articles. This is absolutely alien to me. I still don't know how to use them properly.
>Why did you learn it?
It just happened.
British English with American accent.
>>
>>56467883
>>what was the hardest part to learn?
Grammar (namely, the too wide variations of tenses, the illogical and even retarded usage of articles/articles and singulars/plurals, and all the secret instinctive tips to make English sentences flow naturally like native speakers', which are still all quite unfamiliar to me).
The pronunciation was rather easier at least for me.

>>Why did you learn it?
Anglo entertainments and internet media are so good I wish I can speak English like they do.
Also I wanted to write songs in the language.

>>Were you taught British or American English?
American. We of course have quite a few non-American English teachers in Japanese schools though.
I heard pre-ww2 Japanese elite schools used to teach British English.
>>
While I watch movies, series and read novels religiously, with no chance of practical use in real life my speaking could be dumbdown to sukki sukki 2 dollars.
>>
>>56471091
>>56471062
Only in written form mostly, in spoken form rarely, even in more formal settings you often hear the 12 hour system
>>
>>56471091
In primary school, a school m8 didn't know what time it was if you said 2 you had to say 14. ok I don't know if he was so retarded that he couldn't do it or was it the fact that all the clocks were digital and he didn't know the conversion by heart so he asked when it was so he couldn't fuck up

did that idiom in a non-native english speakers thread make you wet bb

>>56471199
>2 dorrar
FTFY
>>
>>56471225
it makes the perfect sense in written form, it's more efficient because the time itself has 2 pieces of information(if you compare it with 8:00 pm to 20:00)
>>
>>56471232

I was speaking about the English language only, I've never heard anyone say "1800 hours" or "0400 hours" in real life, even though all clocks nowadays are in the 24 hour format, we usually just convert in our heads if someone asks the time
>>
>>56471354

Only in the military or talking to military guys or people that were in it
>>
>>56468249
Holy shit, I always loved english because it had very few tenses compared to french.

>>56467883
Arbitrary pronounciations, words with the same group of letters get different sylables, example :
>rough
>though
>tough
>cough
>plough
>>
File: 1362754370185.png (180 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
1362754370185.png
180 KB, 449x401
>>56471798

>he thinks those words dont rhyme
>>
grammar and usage full of exception and inconsistency (at least for me)

>"i bought two apple"
>"nah, it's two apples, not apple"
>"i caught two fishes"
>"nah, it's two fish, not fishes"
THE FUCK??
>>
>>56469008
I'm an immigrant, familia.
>>
>>56471839
>amerigan
>prouncing english right
>>
>>56472000
to be fair, lots of English speakers say "fishes"
>>
>>56468312
>plough
>plof
???
>>
>>56472000
it's because fish is already plural
>>
>>56467883
Since the English grammar is a super primitive one the only hard thing is its vocabulary with a multitude of sometimes even totally different meanings. As for myself, I started learning it almost 2 years ago and can already read some literature but fucking complicated words make me break down
>>
>>56472222

Are you pretending -ough isn't an irregular sound in American English?
>>
>>56472222
I have no fucking idea how to say plough. I've never said that word in my life. Is it not the same thing as plow?
>>
>>56469435
americans don't have accents
>>
>>56467883
Grammar
>Why did you learn it?
Requirement in school
British but, now it's pretty Americanized
>>
>>56470711
>I have actually learned how to tell what part of the South people are from. I can pinpoint Alabama, Georgia, Appalachian, Floridian, and Louisiana/Mississippi accents pretty well these days after living down here 23 years.
Guess mine. I read some of a wiki article for you.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lmMEbt705K
>>
>>56472178
Not really, no.
>>
>>56472394
Florida must be retarded then
not surprising
>>
>>56472379
you sound very russian
>>
Who the fuck would willingly teach and use American English lmao
>>
>>56472430
how does it feel to be living in your child's shadow
>>
>>56471839
>rough
>though
>>
>>56470711
>Floridian
Floridians have the General American accent though
t. floridian
>>
>>56472427
lel. I have no idea where you get that idea
>>
>>56471076
Same.
>>
>>56472560
from my hohol mind
>>
>>56472430
I understand your feel gramps, I get mad that all the youth today speaks that ebonics nonsense.

#BornInTheWrongGeneration
>>
>>56472178
Not the japan poster you just replied to, but to me, below is just full of mind-fucking incomprehensible nonsense.

>"I have a milk."
>"Not correct, you have a glass of milk. Milk has no fixed shape and is uncountable."
>"I have bad feeling about this."
>"*A bad feeling. Things like feelings, moods, thoughts and tones have no shape but are countable somehow. However, on the other hand, furniture does have a physical shape but is uncountable. Just deal with it."
>>
memorizing the tons of vocabularies
>>
>>56471127
How long have you been studying? Your English is flawless, any mistakes (if there are any) could be passed off as typos
>>
>>56472594
>hohol
>mind
>>
Seriously though why is english so primitive compared to normal european languages?
>>
>>56467883
everything

>Why did you learn it?
Because my mother tongue happens to be a useless meme language

Mostly British I guess
>>
>>56472677
To be fair, counting is almost as retarded in Japanese. I've been studying for a year and a half, and I still don't even know the basic "counter kanji" or how to use them
http://jisho.org/search/counter%20for%20*

>>56472722
there's a reason most Americans are monolingual
>>
>>56467883
Using the correct British English accent instead of the messed-up American "English".

>Why did you learn it?
The German classes were full.

Both. The teachers use British English, say the American equivalent if need be, and tell you to stick to the one you prefer for consistency.
They'll warn you that you will score less if you use American "English" in the English exam of secondary school.
>>
>>56472824
>the messed-up American "English".
>you will score less if you use American "English" in the English exam of secondary school.
how elitist desu
>>
File: 1452816970921.jpg (88 KB, 599x516) Image search: [Google]
1452816970921.jpg
88 KB, 599x516
>>56472677
>incomprehensible nonsense
土 =/= 士
未 =/= 末
従 =/= 徒

(;´Д`)
>>
>>56468309
rasheed
>>
>>56472000
It's "fish"? I've always said fishes, literally no one uses "fish" for the plural

t. native speaker
>>
>>56472722

It isn't, you just don't understand it
>>
>>56472869
Ok, one of them is not completely true.
The hardest part is probably slang and the words that don't exist in French. For some French people, it's the pronunciation. It's hard to deliberately mispronounce French words.
>>
>>56472178
>One fish
>two fishes
>red fish
>blue fish
Seuss would sob.
>>
>>56472979

It is fish most of the time, "I saw 5 fish there" would imply you saw 5 fish of the same species, "I saw 5 fishes there" implies you saw 5 different fish

Fishes is also used as in "He fishes as a hobby" meaning he catches fish
>>
>>56473102
I know about the verb, but I've never heard of the distinction between the plurals for different fish types.
>>
>>56472907
>土 =/= 士
>未 =/= 末
>従 =/= 徒
そんな漢字は易しい。逆に、漢字は一般になんとも難しい
訓読み、音読み、正しい使うの時
それは真の難だよ。
>>
>>56473026
so it is your the only language
>>
>>56473174
>so it is your the only language
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>56473133
The only reason why people say fishes is because tots say fishies which will translate into fishes when they're older.
>>
>>56473174
I don't think you're qualified to talk about how primitive English is.
>>
>>56473045

I don't understand that, I just imagine a stereotypical Frenchman talking if I want to know how to change pronunciation

>>56473133

The same thing works with other words, one sheep, two sheep, the sheeps of the world. The same way people is the plural of person, but peoples is used to mean multiple different groups of people

So, the people of South Africa would imply the population of SA, whereas the peoples of South Africa means the different races of South Africa
>>
>>56473141
アノンさん
I only know like 500 words-
but are you basically telling me that Kanji is easy and the pronunciations only take time?

I agree that kanji is actually very easy to learn because I did the rtk way but I am so fucking blind and trying to read kanji kills me.
>>
>>56473189
Funny, I remember just saying "fish" a lot when I was younger. Guess I switched to "fishes" because so many people used it I thought "fish" was the wrong plural.

>>56473216
>the people of South Africa would imply the population of SA, whereas the peoples of South Africa means the different races of South Africa
Interesting comparison tbqh, didn't think of that before
>>
>>56473205
fuck you
>>
Past Perfect
God knows how this shit fucked me up back in the time
>>
>>56468249
>Likewise we have no future (pun intended)
German humor.
>>
>>56468475
everywhere says "ass" now though
>>
>>56473253
нe мoжeшь выpaжaть мыcли нe нa мoвe чтo-ли? фaк ю тбх. иди aнглийcкий пepeyчить
>>
>>56473301
sosi huy bydlo
>>
>>56473230
What I (hope I) said was
"stuff like those kanji are easy. On the other hand, kanji in general are stupid hard.
Onyomi, kunyomi, the correct time to use them
that's true difficulty"

>>56473256
does Portuguese not have past perfect?

it always surprises me when a language lack an aspect English has
like Japanese (and German apparently) lacking the future tense, which to me seems like an integral part of a language
>>
>>56473253
>>56473319
cмх тбх фaм
>>
>I had been eating
>I had been eaten
can you tell me the difference between the two
>>
>>56473365
эй зиpгa гaлвa нe бyллиpyй нaшeгo yкpaинцa. y нeгo хyй в гoлoвe вмecтo мoзгa
>>
>>56473402
You were eating something in the past.
You were devoured by another creature in the past.
>>
>>56473402
are you assuming we are that retarded?
>>
>>56473402
you are fat in the first one and skinny in the second

what am I?
>>
>>56473432
Maмкy твoю eбaл, шлюшкy дыpявyю.
>>
>>56469435
I have a French friend who hates British accents because she says they're too snooty sounding.

She's a huge Ameriboo though so take that with a grain or two.
>>
>>56473436
wrong

>>56473441
yes
>>
>>56473506
>wrong
How is that wrong?
>>
>>56473347
I can think of nothing more terrifying than trying to read japanese aloud to others and literally not know what to say at all.

At least in english we can still guess a pronounciation but in Jap you are fucked.
>>
>>56473526
he said devoured instead of eaten, you dumbfuck
>>
>>56473216
Let's take "Suit" as an example. It comes from French (suite).
A French who don't speak English would pronounce "suit" "sweet" without the final "t" and with the French "u" sound instead of the "w".
He would expect an English speaker to pronounce it like "sweet". It's pronounced "soot".
>>
>>56473571
Devour means to eat quickly. It's slightly different but most of the original message is intact.
>>
>>56473402

>I had been eating

You were eating in the past and may still be eating

>I had been eaten

I were eaten in the past and it may still be happening
>>
>>56473571
Synonyms.
>>56473590
In English, a suite is also a fancy hotel room I think.
>>
>>56473602

>I were

You were rather
>>
>>56473602
do you understand the difference between have been and had been, stupid fucker?
>>
>>56473571
it's probably a Quebecois Canadian, can't speak English for shit
>>
>>56473476
Kek French accents are the most 'snooty' in the world, the entire fucking country is
>>
>>56473649
He was referencing me, an American from the South and none of y'all yank fucks can pronounce English correctly so hold your fucking tongue.
>>
>>56473696
how about you go fuck yourself and the horse you rode in on cowboy
>>
>>56473742
How about I hold you down and have the horse fuck you in the ass you 49er immigrant's great great great faggot grandson.
>>
>>56473640
are you retarded?

just because at one point you had been doing something doesn't mean you haven't been doing it since.
>>
>>56473813
Ladies and Gentlemen, "The South".
>>
>>56473841
It could have been mano-a-mano but you had to think about me fucking a horse, did you? You sick fuck.
>>
oh this stupid rigid word order what a primitiveness, literature written in english is basically shit
>>
>>56473926
>what a primitiveness
maybe if you knew basic english you'd be able to enjoy the literature more
>>
>>56473937
i know english perfectly well, better than you do
>>
>>56473949
Show it, don't blow it, except you already did so just shut it.
>>
>>56473949
It doesn't exactly show, buddy

Nitpicking about semantics is all well and good until you out yourself as a complete idiot
ex.
>>56473640
>>56473571
>>
>>56473969
is it all because of a fucking article? most of americans cant distinguish between your and you're or instead of would've type would of
>>
>>56474001
Those people probably haven't finished high school or they haven't read a book in years and work a minimum-wage job.

Also, as long as we're being assholes, that should've been "most americans."
>>
>>56474024
i know but since i read a lot of people say it this way i thought i could also say so
>>
Not a whole lot of hard parts senpai
In my book any language is easily learned as long as you keep spending time practicing
>>
>>56474077
здapoвa, пeтyшapa
>>
>>56474089
Paзмoлoтим! Зaшибём!
>>
>>56467883
The pronunciation of certain words simply doesn't match the letters on it even if you use english's general rules.
Remembering where the "h" is on certain words.
Understanding certain american accents.
>>
>>56472722
Vikings
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 325x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 325x233
>>56471114
English has only 3 articles

The
A
An

"The" is easy, as it's the only definite article in English

"A" and "An" are indefinite articles.

You say ''a" before a word that starts with a consonant. (Just look at the sentence)
e.g.
a Car
a Fire
a Shed

And for "an" You'd say this before a word that starts with a vowel.

e.g.
an Elephant
an Airplane
an Oasis

(A E I O U) technically Y is a vowel sometimes. But words that start with "Y" will always have an "a" for an article.
e.g.
a Youth
a Year
a Yard
NOT
an Youth
an Year
an Yard

That's grammatically incorrect and just just sounds weird and cavemanish
>>
Oh no wait, certain bong accents are horrid
Especially working class folk, I remember watching a British right wing rally on /pol and even other Brits weren't able to comprehend their gibberish
>>
>>56471839
>ruff
>thoh

Alright there, bud
>>
File: 8cblm5s1WHQ.jpg (22 KB, 550x332) Image search: [Google]
8cblm5s1WHQ.jpg
22 KB, 550x332
>>56474089
>>56474131
Бyдьтe ж вы людьми...
>>
I learned British English in school, but ended up with an unholy combination of Yorkshire and Australian. I've even been told I sound Irish at times.
>>
>>56474673
Vocaroo that shit
>>
>>56474673
>>56475793this
pls
>>
I learned it naturally, my only difficulty with english is the usage of "have"

I really don't see the difference between "I done that or I have done that", "I have been using or I been using" I just don't understand it
>>
>>56467883
>What was the hardest part to learn?
It was never hard to learn since I grew up watching Cartoon Network and whatnot.

>Why did you learn it?
I never meant to. It just happened. And it's mandatory for school. So, win-win.

School teaches British. But, I personally, was exposed to more American English.
>>
>>56474045
you have an over sensationalized view that isn't really based in reality
>>
>>56467883
some grammar parts and/or tenses
>Why did you learn it?
why not?
british but I've grown up in an 'american' environment, with your cartoons, tv shows, games etc. I learned the british variation but prefer the american speech
>>
>>56474218
don't forget, a / an rules apply even if the word begins with a consonant but produces a vowel sound

such as 'an honour' or 'a university'
>>
I was taught the British version but I refuse to use their spelling or any of their silly pretend words.
>>
>>56474218
I will venture a guess and propose that the Russian anon realizes that there is only the/a/an, and when you use one of those, but it is when you use an article in the first place that's the problem.

Things like anaphoric, cataphoric reference, generic reference etc.
>>
File: 1413153873056.png (111 KB, 1026x1234) Image search: [Google]
1413153873056.png
111 KB, 1026x1234
>>56477647
Why are you frogs so cut?
Is it because your empire was a joke?

Or was it because you couldn't even colonize properly?

Tell me about L'Homme au Masque de Fer, why does he wear the mask?
>>
File: 1443370173963.jpg (284 KB, 649x638) Image search: [Google]
1443370173963.jpg
284 KB, 649x638
>>56467883
FUCKING
TENSES
Why just WHY you have so many of them?
>>
>>56478301
Conjugation is quite simple in English, though.

Post examples in Russian and I'll demonstrate how much easier it is to express the same ideas in English.
>>
>>56478301
tenses are easy. Come on, modern English is so simple, they don't have cases and shiet.
>>
File: 1457180118001.jpg (31 KB, 498x516) Image search: [Google]
1457180118001.jpg
31 KB, 498x516
To learn the language is pretty easy, the hardest part is to translate your thoughts from your native language into English fluently while talking in real-time with people, fast enough so they don't think you are autistic.
I use a lot of English in my everyday life, but I still struggle to express my thoughts verbally as clearly as I can do it on paper.
>>
>>56478645
i suffer from the same condition in person, but i may be literally autistic
>>
File: photo.jpg (73 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
73 KB, 900x900
>anglo Quebec

Hy вcё, cyкa, ты oгpeбaeшь
>>
>>56467883
ask on question: harderst part is understanding of what native speakers are saying. English is fucking too soft. I even heard "eye for an eye" as "I full of ice".
Best English - John Hamm's English
I can understand some american dialects (pacific northwest) but brits is fucking mystery speeches

Also French is better
>>
>>56472722
Because It took all the best parts from other languages, dumbed them down, and then combined them into one language.

Also - to other monolingual English speakers here - Do you understand French or German better? Obviously you're not going to understand most words but I've found I can read French very roughly just by recognising enough words to string together what they mean, German I've found you rarely see many words that tell you anything of importance to what's actually being said.
>>
>>56467883
Spoken english, especially pronounciation. I just can't.
>>
>>56478795
You don't have to. Learn French. it's better.
>>
>>56478754
French is easy enough to recognize while reading it, but it's more complex to produce accurate pronunciations.

A real shame because I quite enjoy the language.
>>
>>56467883
>Why did you learn it?
Beause we are literally brainwashed with your fucking language since the day we are born.

Arabs are not destroying European cultures. Anglos are.
>>
>>56467883

>hardest part
Wasnt hard for me because i knew turkish, arabic and german (german was very helpful for memorizing words) back then, so it was pretty easy to catch the idea of rules.
I guess past tenses was a bit hard.
But pronounce of written words was the hardest thing for me. Because pronounce of words in german, arabic, turkish is clear once you learn reading-rules. But in english i had to guess the correct pronunce of word, since a letter is not always the same "letter"

>why
Education
Can communicate with world
Getting job easier

>american/british
Teachers tries british, but there are many jewwood movies and series
So its mixed
>"I wanna go to that road"
>>
>>56478850
how exactly are you brainwashed to pick up you're L2 (that just so happens to be English)

I'd say it's more likely there's an attractive business and entertainment climate that can be made more accessible if you have a good grasp of the English language
>>
>>56479010
All we hear all day long is "learn English, English is the only language worth knowing, if you don't speak English you're shit, everyone speaks English". 90% of foreign music is in English, 90% of foreign movies are in English, "foreign languages" is Newspeak for "English".
>>
>>56479101

It's not like that's a lie
>>
>>56479101
Should have been born anglo then faggot.
>>
>>56479168
>>56479192
>6 billion people don't speak English
>"durr everyone speaks English"

The Anglo arrogance is astounding.
>>
>>56478850
U menia voprós. A stal by ty učiť russkí jazyk, jesli by ón byl na latinice?
>>
>>56479010
:%s/you\'re/your

I'd say I did it on purpose to fit in with /int/ mêmes but it's bugging the fuck out of me
>>
>>56479198
Suck it Czechoslovakia.
>>
I feel like nothing was particularly hard to learn. Maybe pronounciation of some words. We learn it in school, a weird mix of british and american depending on teacher.
>>
>>56479198

Then learn Chinese

lol
>>
>>56479198
6 billion people are learning English *
>>
>>56479225
French is better and nobody can prove me wrong. English is the villiage version of french.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcWkqILsYw0

I hope French will be the state language in Russia.
>>
>>56479200
Я yжe yчy pyccкий. Oн мнe нpaвитcя бoльшe aнглийcкoгo. Aлфaвит - этo нe пpoблeмa.

>>56479234
>being this deluded
>>
>>56479234
But I'm learning Polish and a bit French.
>>
>What was the hardest part to learn?
How to fuck your father.

>Why did you learn it?
I wanted to play Diablo on my father's el computero.

British you fucking mongrel.
>>
>>56479263
Mнe кcтaти нpaвитcя вaшa c чeхaми пиcьмeннocть, я бы и pyccким тaким бы cдeлaл.
>>
>>56469435
I like british, scottish, irish and australian accents and mostly speak using influences from those.
It's easy to tell accents apart.
>>
File: 1456749819898.jpg (137 KB, 770x782) Image search: [Google]
1456749819898.jpg
137 KB, 770x782
>>56479245
Russianbro telling it like it is !
>>
>ABCDEFG = abcdefg

this fucking thing
>>
>>56469435
this is the only one normal accent that I can understand but even this is sounding a bit weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDkqhHX8P8

French is a lot better
>>
>>56479416
also this accent in Polish even stronger
>>
Perfect tenses and pronunciation. Learned it mainly because of computer games as a superior way of escapism. American variant.
>>56469435
British, because it's more sophisticated and English "r" sounds not very pleasant.
>>56471114
Ecли ты зacтaл 90-e, тo ecть хopoшaя aнaлoгия из нoвopyccкoгo: a/an - "типa", the - "кoнкpeтнo".
>>
File: x9uhLUz.png (121 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
x9uhLUz.png
121 KB, 1240x1754
>>56479354

vocaroo with pic related
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.