[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have several concerns about Hollywood USA reality. Please,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1 yXaWjIzQr5yOCchgdenaiA.jpg (115 KB, 644x800) Image search: [Google]
1 yXaWjIzQr5yOCchgdenaiA.jpg
115 KB, 644x800
I have several concerns about Hollywood USA reality. Please, clarify, add facts or disapprove completely.

1. Americans drink coffee with all kinds of food even if the tastes don't match. It's a default drink on par with juice and clear water.

2. Drinking strong alcohol pure from large glasses sipping like juice is a norm for adult men. What about taste? I've seen people drinking whiskey and vodka like this in movies but the taste is horrible, those characters were not alcoholic btw. The question is not about amounts, only about the manner of drinking.

3. Many Americans believe that history, literature, etc. are "unnecessary knowledge". In the same time if a character who know Shakespeare appears, it means he is from a top uni and probably a demigod as well. What's the deal with this writer in America?

4. Sportsmen in schools are treated like celebrities even though these people usually have grim future.

5. Afro-Americans are extremely insecure about their race and insult whites for any reason. It's also a social norm. "It's so white" means "bad" and people are alright if called like that. African automatically means cool.

6. Americans believe an apple pie is something very American, that it's their invention or something??? "As American as an apple pie". Really?

7. Old people are considered retarded by default, throwing them out of the house to retirement facilities is not a cime.

8. People mention Russia very often (as an insult).

9. Families move to a far-away state for jobs. Whole families with kids and dogs just leave their homes.

10. You're allowed to drive poorly maintained cars with no seatbelts, broken lights or even brakes.

11. Borders between states have very strict police control like you're entering from another country.

12. Everybody have private houses, even unemployed people living on welfare.

I think it's enough. The list is made not to insult you, I want exactly the opposite. Please, excuse my broken English. Cheers from /tv/.
>>
>>62079368
>broken lights
Like half hollywood movies have a cop harassing somebody over a broken tail light.
>>
Too long.
Hollywood is an accurate depiction of real life.
>>
>>62079368
As someone who has been to America, I can independently verify that all of these are true.
>>
>>62079368
Let's go.
>We drink a lot of coffee, but not how you just described. If you order a coffee with a burger and fries, you'll probably get some strange looks.
>People drink like that at parties. They tone it down when they drink at home, unless they're alkies.
>Absolutely true. The humanities are viewed as by and large useless by most Americans. Part of it is due to the piss poor state of some of the humanities departments in some colleges, but not entirely. Americans in general are just not interested in history or literature. As for Shakespeare, most Americans aren't well educated enough to read Shakespeare and understand what they're reading, but he has a reputation of being a good writer, so if someone reads Shakespeare, people assume they must be smart.
>Yes.
>Yes and no. They're insecure and they turn that insecurity into pride. It's like how people who are secretly gay act overly homophobic to hide it. Acting white is viewed unfavorably by all minority groups, but especially among blacks.
>It's a common idiom, no more than that.
>Those facilities get a bad rap. Smart old people are capable of living alone do so without a problem. The ones who can't, either voluntarily move in to a home or into a retirement community or are placed there by their families, usually with good reason. A lot of old people dick the retirement communities. They flock to states like Arizona and Florida, where they're abundant.
>Not really, although Russia is still viewed very negatively here.
>Yes. In my 12 years of public school, I've had 4 or 5 friends who had to move to a different state.
>Not a chance. Cops pull you over for having a busted tail light or having a small crack in your windshield.
>No. Very easy to cross borders between states.
>Uhh, yeah? What, as opposed to public houses? Either that or they live on the street.
>>
>>62079368
Tl;dr. I'm just gonna assume the majority of your questions are memes, and say that none of them are true.
>>
>>62079368
>11. Borders between states have very strict police control like you're entering from another country.
Nope. Some states have agricultural checkpoints (or maybe it's just Cali I really don't know) but that's just an officer quickly glancing through your windows before waving you on.
>>
>>62079368
>1. Americans drink coffee with all kinds of food even if the tastes don't match. It's a default drink on par with juice and clear water.
yes, pretty much.
>2. Drinking strong alcohol pure from large glasses sipping like juice is a norm for adult men
No, not really
>3. Many Americans believe that history, literature, etc. are "unnecessary knowledge"
>Shakespeare
We learn about him in school, I was age 12 or 13. I don't know anybody that reads classic literature
>4. Sportsmen in schools are treated like celebrities even though these people usually have grim future.
What? Most will be fine.
>5. Afro-Americans are extremely insecure about their race and insult whites for any reason
On the internet, all the blacks I know are chill
>6. Americans believe an apple pie is something very American, that it's their invention or something?
yes
>7. Old people are considered retarded by default,
no
>8. People mention Russia very often (as an insult).
no, maybe on internet
>9. Families move to a far-away state for jobs. Whole families with kids and dogs just leave their homes.
Leaving state or leaving country for work, what's the diff?
>10. You're allowed to drive poorly maintained cars with no seatbelts, broken lights or even brakes.
state by state laws, also year of car matters
>11. Borders between states have very strict police control like you're entering from another country.
no
>12. Everybody have private houses, even unemployed people living on welfare.
they would rent a house, probably not own
>>
1. Old people do this, but I'll admit sometimes shitty cold diner coffee + diner burger/fries has its place.

2. If you're thinking of something like "Mad men" this isn't as common as it used to be.

3. A lot of Americans do believe that, but Shakespeare is still pretty well known, even among plebs, so his name is a go-to when you want to invoke the idea that a character is cultured/smart.

4. True.

5. "White = lame/Black = cool" is usually just banter.

6. That's a meme that started in the 1800s, though I don't know why. We didn't invent it, but it's popular here.

7. Sometimes.

8. Russia isn't mentioned excessively. We generally consider you a rival, but we don't hate Russian people.

9. True.

10. False.

11. False, though sometimes there will be checkpoints if there's a fugitive on the loose nearby

12. False, though there is more private housing than in Europe.
>>
>>62079679
you're a real Tocqueville, ya know that?
>>
>>62080813
I can confirm that what he says is completely accurate. I had the same reactions
>>
>>62080813
>>62081166
>>62081152
>>62081242
>>62081711
Thanks a lot.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.