[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English speakers, explain yourselves.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: memes.jpg (66 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
66 KB, 800x800
Why is the English word 'girl' used for the both meanings 'little girl' and 'adult girl'. And 'little girl' hasn't its own word. Plus, you have the word 'girlfriend' implying the sexual relationship.
Are you pedophiles or something?

For example, the Russian language has the two words for this:
a little girl - 'дeвoчкa'
a 16+-year-old girl - 'дeвyшкa'
>>
>>61953551
>little girl doesn't have it's own word
Loli
>>
>>61953946
it's a slang word. it's Japanese. and
>sexual
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uze8MR6QAbs

she's cute
>>
>>61954086
>sexual connotations
Shit, I was under the impression it just meant little sister for some reason
>>
>>61954204
she's good in licks.
>>
>>61954086
Loli is not japanese, tho.
It's meaning became this after some Russian dude wrote a pervy novel about a girl named Lolita
>>
>>61954226
That would be imouto.
>>
Little virgin girl=mayden=mädchen(ger.)
Also girl is equal to little girl
Grown female = woman
>>
Calling adult women "girls" is a pretty recent thing and not really technically correct.
>>
Girl = Female below the age 16
Young lady = 16-20
Woman 20+

Girlfriend has been used since before in the past it would be your GIRL friend, and you would have fucked them when they were like 18 and married them making them your wife.

Now people have girl friends and not marrying I guess so the word girl friend is kept since no one wanted to add something else.

I just woke up so sorry for shit explaining.
>>
>>61954611
adult = 18+
>>
>>61954628
Almost nobody uses young lady except for some rare occasions
>>
>>61954592
妹 (imouto) is "little sister," and can be used non-literally if your relationship with the girl is akin to that of a familial relationship. A more generic term is 少女 (shoujo), which just means a girl that's probably between about 7–18 years of age.
>>
>>61954559
Yes, it is. yet 'lolita' != 'loli'
>>
>>61954736
Well it's certainly more appropriate to call your little sister an imouto than a loli. Loli has very sexual implications. Not that you should call her either really.
>>
>>61954690
Maybe if you are poor or live in the third world.
>>
ילדה (yalda) = girl
נערה (na'ara) = young woman
אישה (isha) = woman

Easy.
>>
>>61954770
Lolita -> Lolita Complex -> slang Lolicon -> short Loli

Is it not?
>>
>>61954817
Ummak shamrouta
>>
Adult female=woman
>>
>>61954841
yes yes, but the jap is the first country using the word 'loli'.
>>
>>61954807
>Well it's certainly more appropriate to call your little sister an imouto than a loli
This is true for the reasons of sexual-connotation that you mentioned, but like I said 妹 is literally "younger sister," so it only makes sense. If I met a little girl, I wouldn't immediately refer to her as 妹, though, since that implies a closeness that probably doesn't exist. As mentioned, 少女 means "girl between 7–18, approximately." It's a more generic term for just any girl you're referring to.

あの少女は誰ですか。
Who's that young girl?
>>
>>61954895
He means "girl" can be be used for both female children and teenagers/ young women.
>>
File: 1467966332756.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1467966332756.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>61954863
>Ummak shamrouta
wow that's shockingly close to the Arabic for "your mother's a whore."

You wouldn't say anything that mean to me, would you, Bekzat?
>>
File: lithuanian bird.png (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
lithuanian bird.png
10 KB, 400x400
>>61954962
It's meaning is still Lolita, which isn't Japanese.

nevermind, I'm leaving
>>
Spanish speakers, would this be accurate?
Niña- young girl
Chica- teenage to young woman
Mujer- adult woman
>>
File: 2016-07-11 21.02.38.jpg (30 KB, 639x359) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-11 21.02.38.jpg
30 KB, 639x359
>>61955078
Abouk himar
R8 my gfs magen david, scholomo
>>
>>61954204
>she
>>
>>61953551
Girl implies youthfulness so calling someone a girl in their early 20's is common. Calling someone a girl may also be a compliment or an insult based on context.
>>
>>61955175
Took some though, but "abouk himar" = "your father's a donkey"?
Between Hebrew and my limited knowledge of Arabic, I got this
>>
'Girl' is a cute way to refer to a young adult female.
>>
>>61954086
>Lolita
>Japanese
Except it's not, because it's a Spanish name that old as fuck.
>>
>>61955150
Yes.
But "chiquilla" also mean "niña".
>>
File: Francophone_Canadian.jpg (42 KB, 626x314) Image search: [Google]
Francophone_Canadian.jpg
42 KB, 626x314
Une fille = a girl
Une femme = a woman

Français is better than English pêh
>>
>>61956038
>sweater red

No thanks
>>
File: CERAL GUY.jpg (7 KB, 236x213) Image search: [Google]
CERAL GUY.jpg
7 KB, 236x213
boyfriend/girlfriend imply sexual relations but its all on context really.
would anyone really wan to hear and speak Manfriend/Womanfriend. it would be such a inefficient way to speak.

Girl can be used when referring to a child and an adult. Girl is easier to say than woman as there is only 1 syllable. so it's used more often. there is no real distinction from boy either. with the exception that "Man" is just as easy to pronounce as boy, but why say Manfriend/Girlfriend when you can simplify that by saying boy and girl since they are paired together so often.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.