[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How easy are Asian languages for English speakers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1467772678486.jpg (49 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1467772678486.jpg
49 KB, 420x420
I might try my luck on Mandarin Chinese but I doubt I'll learn it and be extremely fluent in it. A friend of mine on a vidya game who bragged about having learned the language even demonstrated it rather well to us.

And he was from Apple Valley, Minnesota with a degree of Molecular Biology from the University of Berkeley, California and he also served the military. Sounds like a very rare person to encounter tbqh.

So I was wondering, if he could do it, could I do it?

Also, how do English speakers fare with the other Southeast Asian languages such as Malaysian, Thai, Korean, or anything like that?

Is it the same difficulty an English speaker would have with Chinese?
>>
>other Southeast Asian languages
>Korean
>>
It's possible. I mean there's literally a billion people that speak it. It's just a matter of hours, not some kind of intelligence threshold. There's definitely people that have learned mandarin as a scond language and become fluent.

The better question is, do you have the motivation? Deep desire for chinese pussy? You've read romance of the three kingdoms 10 times and want to be guan yu?
>>
I'm more interesting in how easy French for you. For us it's easier than English, especially listening.
>>
>>61737476
I have trouble with geography, please spare me sir. I'm but a dumb, average American poster on here.
>>
>>61737533
Speak would be hard but it should not be too dificult.
The english language is mostly french loanwords.
Entanglement
Resume
>>
>>61737521
I usually don't have the motivation for languages. Once I tried learning Spanish in highschool and all I got were Ds and Fs.

It the worst class I ever had and I had to change it to something else, otherwise I wouldn't have graduated.
>>
>>61737521
>billion people

All of them are speakers of the different dialects. Hieroglyphs is the only one reason why it's steel one language formally.

Same with Russian: by pronunciation middle dialects, especially midwestern are closer to Belarusian than to northern Russian, but orphography is the reason why it's still one language.
>>
If you're tone-deaf, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese are not for you.

Malay, Indonesian, and Filipino are pretty easy.

Korean is moderate.

Chinese difficulty is compounded by the stupid moonrunes, but the Chinese government is pushing for language learning materials to get published, so that makes it a bit easier than it otherwise might be.
>>
>>61737588
you and I have the same feel. I dropped french in grade 11 despite getting good marks in much harder subjects because I did not give a single shit about the language. Then many years later, it turns out I am a huge weeaboo so I can easily spend hours a day learning the language.
>>
>South East Asian languages
>Korean
Stopped reading
>>
>>61737588
Some people just can't study in group. Try personal studies. Or study with the teacher and a m8 - it should be a bit cheaper.
I was going for this in 9th grade, English.
>>
>>61737408
don't get anywhere close to Mandarin. it is very hard, and you will have to memorize thousands of their hanzi symbols.
also if you want a language for job opportunities, you really don't want to work with chinese people.

better study Korean or Japanese. they are much more civilized and their languages are much easier than Mandarin.
>>
>>61737588
In my class we had English from the first grade and sometimes I had extreamly bad results in it, for example, after the unregular verbs test I got the mark even worser than F.
But it's a really bad that you have language studies only in a highschool, because even with doubty results in 6-8 grades I got a skill how to learn language and now I learn Polish.
Also my final mark in English in school is B and A in the university, but I know that it can look broken.
I just don't learn it anymore for some reasons.
>>
File: 'Next Global Superpower'.png (946 KB, 1400x5552) Image search: [Google]
'Next Global Superpower'.png
946 KB, 1400x5552
>>61737408
I'd think about finding another hobby if I were you. You'd have to devote thousands of hours to learning Chinese, and at the end of it all you'd be able to do that you couldn't do before is speak to Chinese people who can't speak English (i.e. mainlanders).

And you really don't want to do that.
>>
>>61737828
Why he can't use the converter into latin? Or it won't works with chinese?

For example, I can convert the polish latin into cyrillic. Yes, it won't be a perfect thing, for the some reasons (ś in Polish != cь in Russian), but it can helps, because the native writing system is a very important thing, it works with associative centers in brain.
But, the English's orphography is so complicated and english words are a sort of hieroglyphs too, so, maybe it's an unseless advice.
>>
>>61737683
literally lol
>>
>>61737683
>>61738029
Well fuck you too Japan

>>61737828
>>61737955
I'll consider your opinions about the Chinese language. Thanks.

>>61737978
Yeah, I once translated some words from Russian to English when chatting with a Russian friend on the Internet and I've learned that he couldn't make out a thing what I was saying.

You literally have to be proficient in the written language itself, otherwise anybody who speaks it as their main language will have incredible trouble understanding you.
>>
>>61737408
I doubt if he can actually use it naturally in communication with natives though.

The difficulty of grammar and communicating with natives/fluent people is a quite different matter. To share fun and joy with natives, speaking/using it naturally is more important than learning grammar, memorizing words, and being able to read difficult texts, I think.

It doent depend on your IQ. It requires you to be more flexible and just have balls for your endless failures that occur in front of natives. You can get used to it but at the same time it takes A LOT OF TIME to fix/adjust it. Nobody can avoid it.
>>
>>61737408
White person who speaks chink here. I've been learning it for 14 years and I'm still not completely fluent. And don't even get me started on their writing system.
It's an amazing language and definitely worth learning, but just keep in mind that it will require an extreme amount of long-term dedication.
Also, you literally cannot learn Mandarin without constant practice with other Mandarin speakers. Chinese courses aren't nearly enough. Just keep that in mind if you try it out.
>>
>>61738188
We don't have a phonetical orphography actually, it's a myth.
In some words we have an useless soft sighs, but don't have it in some where they are needed.
We also have a letters that aren't readable like s in island.
In some words our G should be readed (in central dialect) as w in Watson.
>>
File: Resized_20160703_091212.jpg (177 KB, 1440x1920) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160703_091212.jpg
177 KB, 1440x1920
>>61737408
>SEAsian languages
>Korean
>>
>>61738237
Oh, and one other thing: TONES MATTER. I've seen way too many new learners ignore them entirely, and then land flat on their faces when they try to speak. Lack of tones makes you sound retarded and nobody will understand you.
>>
Who /weebtryingtolearnjapanese/ here?
>>
>>61738942
Read over 1 million times of (OP) again
it is south east asia " korea " thread here.
>>
>>61737408
I took Mandarin in highschool. One of the first classes in my state. If it wasn't for the fact that we basically just fucked around and cheated I would be proficient in it. I understood enough by doing jack shit that when we went to China I could haggle and order food and shit. It's actually not that hard of a language.
>>
File: 250px-Zhang_Xun2.jpg (15 KB, 250x283) Image search: [Google]
250px-Zhang_Xun2.jpg
15 KB, 250x283
>>61737408
nobody wants to learn your language, ling-ling.
>>
>>61737408 (OP) #
Thai is on the second place after Chinese because it has tones.
If you have some Dutch tongue, you will be able to learn Indonesian like a breeze.
Malay would be the easiest because it has no gender specific rules, Latinized text with the same 26 of English alphabet, most sounds are similar to English, you pronounce as what you see with few difthongs. And also, if you can read Malay text, it would be much easier to learn Indonesian as well because they're kind of siblings, with some differences.
My personal advise would be, learn the easiest as your short term goal, and learn the hardest as your long term goal. There's other aspects that you will find as you learn. Hope this will guide you.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.