[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did americans lost their british accents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1461755076843.jpg (277 KB, 1024x807) Image search: [Google]
1461755076843.jpg
277 KB, 1024x807
How did americans lost their british accents?
>>
File: 1854154841918.jpg (58 KB, 720x807) Image search: [Google]
1854154841918.jpg
58 KB, 720x807
>>61733530
Freedom automatically gets rid of useless things for you
>>
>>61733530
We didnt lose shit, it just evolved in form.
>>
>>61733530
It's pretty weird how all our accents evolved my teacher keeps telling me Aussies skin will eventually evolve to be black.
>>
>>61733530
the American accent was a dialect in England at the time, particularly the Scots-Irish (who weren't Scottish or Irish funnily enough) IIRC
>>
>>61733530
Depending on a word, the United States pronounces the old U.K.
>>
This is kinda interesting

://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland
>>
>>61733763
whites are going to die from skin cancer eventually
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clC0Rz2QpFM

Watch this series, it changed the way i look at english. Its the history of the language, from a meme german dialect to the lingua franca of earth.
>>
American accents are just a sub-sect of British accent - just like Australian or New Zealanders. There are accents in the UK like the Geordie accent which sound much more alien to the stereotypical UK accent than pretty much any US accent. The only difference is that it's on the other side of the Atlantic. It's really just how accents work. That's why Northern English people have different accents from Southern English people.
>>
>>61733854
These people could pass as Brits with those accents. Sounds very similar to a Somerset accent, or Cornish - also East Anglian.
>>
>>61733530
actually british lost their american accents
>>
>>61733763
Don't worry the blacks and browns will take over long before that happens
>>
Germans moved in
>>
>>61733530
I heard that the American accent was a common dialect in Britain before our brexit, and the tories purposefully spoke in the accent now known as English to differentiate themselves from us.

The word "soccer" is the same. It was the nickname for "football" in England a long time ago, then Americans started calling it that, so tories were like, ew nvm i'm calling it football again.

>>61733763
Aussies' skin already evolved to be black.
>>
>>61733763
Yeah that climate doesn't allow for whiteies to exist
>>
>>61733854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVwdv9Pzo8
>>
>>61733530
>lost

we never had one, it's the brits who gained an accent
>>
The americans have the same accents as brits used to have is the stupidest fucking meme around and I hate everyone that spreads it.
What you're getting confused about is Americans have kept rhotic r's, while some English accents have lost it. They haven't preserved the same accent
>>
>>61734327
The most conservative accent is still located in the US, checkmate, loser :^)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.