[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>over 10 years of watching American media in English every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: baseball.jpg (364 KB, 978x652) Image search: [Google]
baseball.jpg
364 KB, 978x652
>over 10 years of watching American media in English every single day
>learned the entire language through films and tv-shows
>still no idea how baseball or football work

In the first you throw some ball and somebody has to hit it with a bat? then run maybe? The second is a total mystery beyond 'you huddle up and throw a ball, occasionally run with it'
Also apparently both events require two coaches screaming and cursing at the top of their lungs and spitting something that's occasionally brown.

Why you gotta complicate shit so much?
>>
Just read the wikipefia page of baseball

It's easy. Now football is much more complicated
>>
>>61488367
not really
>>
Everything begins once the pitcher throws the ball. There are three outcomes to the throw
1. Strike (in a hittable area for the batter but the batter misses/didn't swing) Three strikes lead to an out
2. Ball (not in hittable area (can become a strike if the batter swings on this pitch)) Four balls lead to the hitter going to first base for free
3. Hit (they run to first base)
This next portion mostly applies to what happens after a hit:
>the batter (now runner) has to run to first base. When your on a base you are safe unless the person with the ball gets their first. you have to make it to all four bases to get a run.
>>
>>61488367
By the time the film ends I usually forget that I was curious about these things.

I think I managed to keep it in mind once though. Blergh. The wiki was full of strange words like pitch something and field thingies, so I was like...i'm curious but not THAT curious. I just wanted a TL;DR version not the history of everything since dinosaurs ruled the earth.

That said I do think it's ridiculous to watch 10 years worth of movies with frequent appearances of these sports and they never ever tell you the basic rules.
>>
the pitcher is trying to throw the ball to the catcher; he is not throwing it to to the batter. The batter is between the pitcher and catcher and is trying to hit the ball that the pitcher is throwing to the catcher.
>>
>>61488311
You want to run around the diamond without getting tagged by the ball to score, you must touch each point.

When you reach a base, you can stop running and you are safe from getting tagged

You hit the ball and the people in the outfield try to tag you with it.

If they catch your initial hit then you're out

If you miss the swing 3 times you're also out

If you're tagged with the ball you're out.

Try to hit it far enough that they can't tag you with it soon enough.
>>
>>61488618
>not really

How is it not?

Baseball is just throw ball, hit ball, run, catch ball, throw ball, repeat. And a few more intricacies that are easy to learn.

Football is like 50 different positions and all this other shit
>>
Is hockey popular in Hungary?
>>
>>61488918
Okay this clears things up a bit but what's a hittable area?

>>61489077
What happens if neither the guy with the bat neither the one who stands behind him catches the ball?

>>61489226
Now this is nice and simple. Question though, how many people have to do this running thing to win? Just one?
>>
>>61489494
>Question though, how many people have to do this running thing to win? Just one?
You do it until a team gets 3 outs, then you switch. Batting team goes to field, field goes to batting.

You do this switch 18 times per game.

You can score as much as you want in that time, but the typical end score is around 2-3 points.
>>
File: mlb-rules-image1.jpg (30 KB, 497x495) Image search: [Google]
mlb-rules-image1.jpg
30 KB, 497x495
>>61489494
The Hittable area's actually called the "Strike Zone" but I was being dumb.
The Strike Zone is ruffly like the pic, but it changes from umpire to umpire. If the ball is in or near the strike zone, its usually counted as a strike
>>
>>61489494
If the catcher doesn't catch it then it's a wild pitch and the hitter can make a run for it.
>>
>>61488311
>Why you gotta complicate shit so much?
>Eurodumbs can only handle "kick ball into goal"
>>
>>61489475
Not at all as far as I can tell. Soccer is very popular, despite the horrid performance of our team. Aquatic sports are also popular since we have outstanding teams and swimmers. We have like 9 gold medals in water polo, and our girls hold several records in swimming, they really are talented, we should spend money on them and their sports instead of useless soccer.

>>61489605
>>61489761
>>61489800
Thanks guys, that really is helpful. I think I'll have to head over to wikipedia and read more about it in depth though. My curiosity is piqued.
>>
we play a kid version of baseball where the pitcher is standing next to the batter and there is a limit to how far you can club the projectile - which is retarded in my honest opinion
>>
>>61489992
Don't be rude, anon
>>
>>61490260
But it's my turn!
>>
>>61490086
>We have like 9 gold medals in water polo
How do you get the horses to stay in the pool?
>>
File: 89.jpg (21 KB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
89.jpg
21 KB, 400x265
>>61490657
The audience keeps their bows trained at them during the game :^)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.